Sunday, April 22, 2012

Elijah Johnson undergoes offseason knee surgery

Kansas University senior-to-be Elijah Johnson had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last week, coach Bill Self said in a phone interview from the recruiting trail on Saturday night.

Johnson, a 6-4, 195-pound combo guard from Las Vegas, will return to the court in six to eight weeks, Self indicated.

“The reason we’re not going to bring him back sooner is there’s no reason to rush it,” Self said, explaining, “it was a scope. There was some swelling. When you have floating particles, they need to get in there and clean it up. By the middle of June he should be close to 100 percent. He should be good to go in June. This will not set him back at all.”

Johnson in the interim will “rehab it, get it stronger,” Self said of the knee.

Johnson — he averaged 10.2 points, 3.5 assists and 3.2 rebounds a game last season — had some swelling during the NCAA tournament.

“He played on it. It was something that didn’t bother him,” Self said of Johnson’s play. “But he couldn’t last another year without getting it cleaned up. We did an MRI after the season that told us it needed to be cleaned up.”

Hinson’s staff taking shape: Former KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson has announced the hiring of two members to his Southern Illinois University coaching staff.

They are: Tom Hankins, who spent the past 15 seasons as an assistant at Oral Roberts, and Terrance McGee, assistant the past two years at Grand Valley State in Michigan. Hankins worked for Hinson at Oral Roberts in 1997-99.

New recruiting name: Przemek Karnowski, a 7-foot-1, 280-pound center from Poland, is reportedly considering Gonzaga, Marquette, Duke, Kansas and Pac-12 schools, dukehoopblog.com reports. Karnowski helped lead Poland to the silver medal at the U-17 World Championships in Germany. He will be a freshman next season.

Comments

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Ughh! Just what Duke needs. A Coach K, and a player K.

Since this is the 1st time his name has cropped up, I wonder how long Coach Self has been recruiting Karnowski. Or if PK is just aware of how good KU could be for his development and hopes to be contacted?

REHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

With the current dirth of remaining big recruits still available in the U.S., I jokingly mentioned on a post last week that Self might need European connections. Shazam! He probably has been dipping his shovel into the world hoops turf forever. We usually don't glean much info about his program until post factum done deals (such as Elijah's recent knee surgery, and the swelling in that left knee during the NCAA Tournament). Winning coaches learn early-on to hold their cards mighty close to their chests.

Tony Bushard 6 years, 11 months ago

There was another time Coach K went after a big K who hailed from overseas. His name was Sasha Kaun.

Armen Kurdian 6 years, 11 months ago

Let me ROCK you Sasha Kaun! Sasha Kaun I feel for you!

Hey, anyone remember Pekka Markannen? Only had him here for a year, but he was great to have on the floor.

REHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Anyone have info on Tim Jankovich, whether or no he joined Larry Brown's staff at SMU?

texashawk10 6 years, 11 months ago

Last i heard he was expected to accept the coach in waiting job, but that was on Thursday so I don't for sure if he's accepted or not.

gchawk 6 years, 11 months ago

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Elijah and found him to be a very engaging and humble young man. Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery, Elijah, you're the best.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 11 months ago

Agree w/all except the consistency..although I think he will put it all together in his Sr. year.

He is very mentally tough. Where as most 5 star recruits come in expecting to start from day 1, EJ has never whined about his playing time and stood strong where many others might have transferred.

Now, he is going to be the team's leader and the one that the new freshmen will look to for guidance and toughness.

Has EJ ever been in any trouble of court? If so, I don't remember.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 11 months ago

First search I did on the Polish kid was all about Gonzaga, who was not mentioned above:

Second link says he visited Gonzaga and will visit Nebraska and Wisconsin:

However, third link doesn't mention Nebraska or Wisconsin, says he's being "heavily recruited by Kansas" and reiterated some of the info above. This link has some video. The second/bottom one is better. Lefty, and stepped out to hit what looked like a 19 footer. Nice shot from outside. Has a lefty hook.

Older link:

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Mahalo, HEM, for the video links. Can't tell from the videos what type of defender he is, but PK looks pretty solid on offense in the paint. Seems to keep the ball high and doesn't bring it down. A real dunking machine. Imagine having him with Withey on the floor at the same time? Two 7 footers in the low block. Bring on Kenstinky.

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 11 months ago

Put 'cha knee brace on. Don't like the sound of that.

EJ's knee surgery...

Bad news: he has to have it.

Good news: hopefully it explains the bad trey shooting last season the same way Tyshawn's broken fingers explained his bad trey shooting his junior season.

7'1" 280 pound Polish center? If he can run and last 15 minutes on the floor he would be XTReme Manna from heaven, even better than Parker, frankly.

We just need one long and brawny to back up both big slots, for those occasional times when both sides are muddying it up with muscle.

Imagine a 7'1" 280 pound moving pick in the Madness next season. It would be a thing of football beauty on a basketball court to watch.

The great news is that if he played in Europe, it is almost certain that he can go 20-30 minutes in up tempo, which is a guarantied 30-35 mpg in the emerging 6-7 rotation squirt and slow-down style that is emerging from KU and UK.

I am now as jazzed about Karnowski, as Parker even though I know Parker is probably much the better athlete. Karnowski would be much the better bruiser and, because he has grown up in Euro ball, his fundamentals on footwork and shooting mechanics will be a thousand percent farther along than Parker.

Come on, Karnowski, I am already studying up on how to make pirogis and Polish sausages.

Solidarnosc Now!!

New slogan: The Pole that Takes It to the Hole!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 11 months ago

And he has that top of the key range tht will make D's respect/play him, and open up the low post in Self's Hi-Lo O. Hopefully, Withey is working on that shot ALOT this offseason.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

In reading through some of the reports on the links (from HEM above), it mentioned that PK isn't that fast down the court and he gets winded after 15 minutes or so. At 280 pounds one could expect that to be the case. Also that, defensively, he allows a lot of drive-bys. The slow footwork could be of some concern, but Hudy should help him get better conditioned. Sounds like he needs to drop to about 260 pounds. Also, the reports are dated one and two years ago, so he may have improved in both those areas already.

packywacky88 6 years, 11 months ago

JB - You taking the "pole to the hole" is an image I don't need.

AZHawk72 6 years, 11 months ago

Nice links, HighElite; good Polish food humor, Jaybate--and now I'm hungry and it's not even noon here. Thanks.

I guess this means that we're no longer a serious contender for Parker as both wouldn't work. With both Duke and us in play for Karnowski as well as 2013 stud recruit Randall, wouldn't it be safe to surmise that both won't head for the same destination? Randall shouldn't be following Austin to Baylor, either. So, do we want Karnowski now, or do we go all out for Randall the following year? Personally, I think Duke leads on Randall, so Karnowski may be more important than we now realize.

As far as Parker goes, and I hope he "goes" (somewhere else), he's a fool if he doesn't go to Ohio-State. He would compete against under-achieving former McD.s center Amir Williams and senior-to-be Ravenel, who played extensively against us in game one. He has a good chance to start at a team who will contend, who just lost Bufurd, Sullinger and two transfers, who has recruited no one, and is the only team that was in on him since day one (his own words.)

UCLA, which is probably and illogically where he'll end up, makes no sense. They have four players of 6-10 returning who will all be juniors. 305 pound Smith and his backup at center and the Wear twins at forward. This group was 1-2-3 in rebounding and 2-3-4 in scoring last year. So much for "one and done"--I think you have to play to get drafted. (Unless you're a backup center from Kentucky a couple of years ago)

So, logic would dictate playing behind Withey or settling in at another powerhouse, Ohio-State. He'll pick UCLA, revealing a slowness in more than just footspeed.,..,

,,,Bless me, Father, for I have...

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

I am passively devoutly religious, which I believe is the most saintly approach to religion, because with sufficient passivity I can avoid doing any harm with my strong beliefs.

So: I feel I am qualified to ask this question without doing any harm: what is the present participle for the opposite of sinning? Is there a word for it? There should be.

When you do something really virtuous and consistent with the best aims of your god, you should be able to say: "Pat me on the back father, for I have _ed" (i.e., done something god will really give me brownie points for, or at least grade me as meeting minimum standards) in the same way you can say, "Forgive me father for I have sinned," when you violate your god's code, i.e., when you do something that's going to get you time in Purgatory's blue flame penalty box.

What is the past (or present) participle for doing some thing really good in a religious sense?

Just wondering on a Sunday in the off season.

6 years, 11 months ago

JB ~ generally speaking from a humble standpoint, you could say something like, "Thank you father for blessing me with the ability and opportunity to honor you with my words, thoughts, and actions."

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Thx for responding, txrockchalk.

You and lee3032 demonstrate the varieties of religious experience and and what is good about that variety.

Thank you for sharing with me.

I am grateful.

6 years, 11 months ago

You are quite welcome, JB! Thank you for my first coveted PHOF honor conferred upon me over the weekend :-)

lee3022 6 years, 11 months ago

Not to speak for anyone else but the Christian viewpoint is that only God can do good. The call therefore is to surrender to Him for His grace. Blessings come equally to sinners and saints as He causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. So there is no opposite except God and His works. This is just my perspective and perhaps not shared by anyone else.

lee3032,

You are an amazing alias, who is also probably a remarkable human being, and I respect you enormously.

Thx for sharing that.

packywacky88 6 years, 11 months ago

JB - After this discussion, I feel really bad about my post above.

rick cowley 6 years, 11 months ago

"Good Works" are a thank you to God for the Grace he has given us. No brownie points needed He has already paid the price.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 11 months ago

7'-1", 280 pounds!!!....the heck with the bballers, call Uncle Charlie and tell him, do we have a nose guard for you!!!!

Seriously, at 18 he may still have a couple inches and another 20 pounds to go...what a monster!!

I've already got a nickname for him...King Karnage!!

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm thinking just the reverse. Let's get some of the interior linemen, especially pulling guards that are good at trap blocks, too, to be designated moving pick setters during the no foul stretches of the games.

We need to big against Ratso Izzo's long and brownies.

High and low posts need to be 320 and 310. Real wide bodies!

In the kind of hoops that are coming, Karnowski at 280 is going to have to Hudy-up!

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

erratum: The spell checker changed brawnies to brownies. Tricky little spell checker. Who can they hire to do that work 24/7?

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 11 months ago

Big man w/good hands? Sounds like a tight end to me. Would not want to be the DB seeing this guy coming across the middle at full speed.

I'm going to say this to no one in particular..a lot of people spell 'a lot' as one word. Small thing but my English 101 teacher broke my habit after a lot of red strikes on a lot of assignments.

Correcting grammar is not something I like to engage in as mine is so often incorrect. I have hung enough prepositions to be classified as a mass murderer. Not a label I am comfortable with.

gchawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Was thinking the same thing, but instead of nose guard I was thinking about wide receiver, I mean REALLY wide receiver!

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

In the XTReme Era of D1 hoops, where contact is next to godliness, position names are obsolete.

For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 just do not quantify the magnitude of the violence going on out there.

Point guard, shooting guard and shooting forward seem about as obsolete as baffie, brassie, and mashie niblick.

Power forward and center? It sounds more like first position and second position in ballet than what is really going on out there.

Here is my suggested nomenclature for basketball positions.

1 Swithblade

Mid Court line--No Man's Land

Free Throw Lane--Dead Zone

Low Block--Gang Bang Block

Top of the Circle--Kill Pick'r'Pop

Jump Circle--Quick jump Circle

For example...

The Switchblade dribbles the plastique up the battle field shellac, crosses no man's land, and shovel passes to the First Gunsel, who cocks but doesn't shoot. He fires it inside to the Spleen Splitter on the Gang Bang Block, where the Spleen Splitter gets corpsed in the Dead Zone and has to kick it out to the third gunsel that has rotated into the first gunsel's free fire zone. The second gunsel fuses the plastique, but then reverses it to the Switchblade, who comes off the moving pick by the Forearm smasher and impacts the target with a lucky bank off the ricochet rack.

Broadcasters are forward observers.

Commentators are spotters.

Coaches are fire designators.

Referees are "duplicitous scum bags that need whacking."

A game is a special opp.

Home fans are friendlies.

Opposing fans are collateral damage.

Season tickets are furloughs.

Cheerleaders are Jo-sans.

Its going to be fanplastique.

Let'em play!

KGphoto 6 years, 11 months ago

First ballot PHOF. A gem, even for you. I'm still LMFAO. Continue with this please. I'm taking notes.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

I'll try, but I've got to go to bed now. Thx.

6 years, 11 months ago

Love the imagery! Something tells me that in this vision not all participants receive trophies regardless of outcome ;)

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

No demilitarized zone on a Jaybate court. Or is that your "No man's land" or "Freethrow Line"? Perhaps it's the bench or locker room?

Sounds like the 3 point line is for surface to air missiles only.

The rim could also be termed "Objective".

"Ground Control, this is Major Tom. Commencing countdown, engines on."

AsadZ 6 years, 11 months ago

The Pole That Takes it to the Hole

That's too funny Bate.

AZHawk72 6 years, 11 months ago

Okay, Jay, I'm game--it's not a participle issue, it's an adverb issue. You don't do "good," you do "well." You also use a comma after "back" before addressing "father," which should be a proper noun if he is a priest. Hey, Jay, (note use of commas, not to be confused with what Robin Gibb just came out of, which has one less "m",) this has to be a better correction than being attacked for second-guessing Coach Self the other day. However, don't ever feel slighted, for my so-called-friends refer to me as "irascible" while I'm still trying to find out why it doesn't have a second "r." Proper English sucks, but is necessary. I'm really glad I went to an incredible school, which seems to get lost in all the "how much we care about our sports teams."

I still feel better about what took place this year than 2008. It's just not always about winning.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Dang, it feels good to be schooled by you, sir (or madam). Thanks for giving me a chance to get better.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 11 months ago

Half-court is actually the FEBA - Forward Edge of Battle Area and the three point arc would be the MEZ - missile engagement zone.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Ooooh, I like those. Thx for the assists.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 11 months ago

And here I was feeling guilty for missing church today. I had no idea that I would find so much advice on Christianity here. Maybe we should do this every Sunday.

AZHawk72 6 years, 11 months ago

Jay, as mentioned before, I'm a graduate of Rockhurst and Kansas. I showed your comment to my younger wife (or madam), and she simply replied "just try dropping the soap..."

True, there is a stereotype that all English teachers must be female, as most are, which is part of the problem with schools today. Teenagers just don't respect some old, faded female, beating them to death on grammar, commas (which can cause comas), verb tenses (which get " intense" when they attempt to be "perfect" which most students rarely are.)

However, as usual, I digress. I cannot believe that this thread went religious, but, according to the U.S. Government, I should. When I wrote "Bless me, Father, for I have...,' I delivered the standard Catholic (which I am) opener when in a confessional laying out one's sins, which for me included the caveat 'do you have an hour, Father?' Obviously, I left out the last word "sinned."

Our government ruled that what I did by omission was "subliminal." Yes, for your edification and education, by leaving a word out or incompleting a thought, I was controlling your mind. Lark Cigarettes had a long-running commercial on the telly stating "You can take Lark out of the country, but you can't the country out of..." By taking the last word away {Lark), they were forcing you to complete the thought and controlling your thought process. I'll try to abide by FCC guidelines in the future--er, or not.

Can you imagine a late night with "Pole" dancing? There, I completed a thought. It's time for the shower.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Maybe you read a bit too much into my him/her. I wasn't meaning to impune your masculinity and make you dust off and roll out the old Rockhurst diploma. I just try to be respectful to the possibility of both genders, when I exchange with someone new.

Regardless, I have had my writing edited by Type A editors, peer reviewed by professionals, and so on until I long ago learned to stop resenting it and start appreciating that the editing made me better.

My rule of thumb is that if no one wants to edit you, then no one gets to read you.

I confess to being slipshod in my spelling and punctuation here. Everything is a first and only draft here for me.

I just try to have as much fun as I can here, and try, hopefully by example, to show board rats the varieties of digital experience that this medium allows one.

I love everything from one liners to the magnum opus here and everything in between.

The only goal I have here, outside of contributing what I can to what I view as the web site of record for the KU basketball legacy is to try as many different forms of writing here as I can recall, or conceive of.

Off the top of my head, I have tried and I am going to insist you punctuate the following for me. Note: I have purposely punctuated it incorrectly for to heighten your sense of effectiveness. I am a generous soul that way. :-)

malaprops; puns: one liners, jokes-- couplets... haiku: quatrain;;;;;; cinquain? sonnet/ Allegory: Anecdote, Aphorism| Autobiography} Ballad+++sort of, but without the music. Biography> Black comedy< Burlesque:-{) Confessional poetry: Not yet. Didactic literature= Dirge@ Drama: Not unless used in the broader term of mock radio and podcasts. :-) Dramatic monologue: Not yet! Dystopic literature: but of course. Eclogue: Coming no doubt. Elegy: Yes... Epigram: Yes>? Essay:& Fable:% Fiction# Legend~ Lyric: oui$ Memoir: Brief bits. Myth: incessantly...{ Noir: probably more of a spoof of noir.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Autobiographical novel: Never Bildungsroman: Not yet, except as I am living this out with the mind of a young man. Epistolary novel: No. Novel of ideas: Nyet. Novel of manners: Imposeros for me{{{ Picaresque novel: I love picaresque, and write this way in short form here from time to time, but novels require too much labor to write on a toilet roll, or a news print spool, or what ever Kerouac used,.,.. Social protest novel: Social protest yes. Novel no. Fragments of an agon? T.S.Eliot click!!!!@ Verse novel: No, and for anyone that truly understands the novel, this is the most absurd form of the novel.@>@>@>@> Novella: Not on your wife...er, life. :-p Ode: Not yet"""; Parable: Not even with Archie and Mahitabel. Parody: ja -_-- Pastiche: si, capice???! Pastoral: no, but I thought about writing a pastoral spoof about Missouri called "Where the Shepherd of the Hills Makes the Sheep Nervous."&^,,, Play: only fragments and not eve not agons.::::: Epic theater: No, because Bertolt Brecht nearly killed theater with his plays, and it only survived because of Kurt Weil's songs.*** Farce: IMO yes, but maybe not in others. :-( Miracle play: No, but by god I would like to. :-) Mystery play: Not really.&7&7 Noh drama: I don't even "noh" what this ritualized form of Japanese drama that evolved in the 1300s involving masks and slow, stylized movement is. :-) Problem play: All plays have problems, according to Lajos Egri, but I don't believe in trying to change the world with a play, when Navy Seals can't change it with a gun and god can't change it with his son.!;

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

Tragedy: Well, Shakespeare, according to Wylie Sypher, had to wait until he was quite sure the order was illegitimate, corrupt and exposed by emerging enlightenment, science and its empiricism in order to feel it phony enough to get the kind of mannerist state of mind required to write good tragedy, and while I have an analogous world, I lack his job at the Vic and an audience with a taste for tragedy to try same here. Tragicomedy: Unlike Samuel Beckett, I need neither his adopted language of French, nor his adopted filter of absurdity to classify all of life as tragicomic. The only things i find not absurd are: a) the assertion that everything is absurd; and b) nothing is absurd, which, of course, comprise an aburdity, which is absurd, when I stop to think about, which I never had until this moment. Prose: Well, yes////> Prose poem: No and prose poetry is, according to Illuminati, part of a Black Jesuit conspiracy started back in Florence of the time of Ghiotto, when the Whites and the Blacks were destroying each other (oh, wouldn't Vicus love the eternal return on this conflict?). Romance: much of what I write about KU basketball is an extended romance with a long series of cliff hangers____ Chivalric romance: definitely.>< Satire: A week without satire is like a week without sex--intolerable, and occurring far too often as I get older.....? Science fiction: mostly spoofs using the form.""". Screenplay: snippets of that bastard form....^... Short-short story: Yes, but this is an utterly unnecessary category. Short-stroy is quite sufficient. Soliloquy: Yes.

To be continued...

And If I'm lucky, edited by you. :-)

Lin Rahardja 6 years, 11 months ago

Get well soon Elijah, we need you 100% next season.