Sunday, April 22, 2012

Keegan

Bob Davis dials back radio duty with K.C.

The Kansas University basketball team kept Busy Bob Davis, the voice with boundless energy and enthusiasm, working college basketball games longer than anybody expected. No complaints. Davis viewed it as a memorable bonus.

Making the adjustment to being not as busy during the summer presents a tougher challenge. Until this season, Davis called Kansas City Royals games daily. The hiring of Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler has reduced Davis’ role to calling approximately 60 games, usually the ones Denny Matthews sits out.

“It’s been OK,” said Davis, 67. “I kind of miss it because I was kind of programmed that way. I’ll get back in the groove on this nine-game road trip.”

The Royals head into today’s finale of a four-game series with the Toronto Blue Jays at Kauffman Stadium with an 0-9 home record and riding a 10-game losing streak.

After that, it’s off to Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit.

“Three places I like to go,” Davis said. “Good ballparks. Good hotels.”

Davis worked the season-opening trip to Anaheim and Oakland. The final two pitches of that journey, both thrown by Jonathan Broxton onto the body of an A’s batter to cause a 5-4 loss, portended the disaster that has come to fruition. Those pitches started the losing streak that has shown it’s not quite the Royals’ time, after all. As always, Davis remains bullish on the bad ballclub.

“The Royals, some of their great teams have had bad starts,” Davis said. “Sure didn’t expect to have a 10-gamer, though.”

Davis reeled off some of the key injuries — to relievers Joakim Soria (elbow surgery, out for season) and Greg Holland (left rib stress reaction, could return in mid-May), catcher Salvador Perez (knee surgery, possibly back by All-Star break), center fielder Lorenzo Cain (groin, on injury rehabilitation assignment in Double A) as factors.

“They were pretty fortunate with injuries last year,” Davis said. “Not so fortunate starting out this year.”

Murphy’s Law rules the Royals these days, and for a club that doesn’t spend to win, lack of depth gets exposed in a hurry.

Broxton became the first big-league pitcher in 46 years to end a game with back-to-back hit-batsmen in Oakland. On Friday, Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer became the club’s first player in 33 years to hit into a triple play.

“It looked like it was headed for the right-field corner, and it’s a triple play,” Davis said. “You know you’re not going good when things like that happen.”

Strange, strange things are taking place with the Royals. Oh well, at least Royals fans can take heart that a familiar voice will spill out of their car radios on the upcoming trip.

Listening to Bob Davis on a daily basis must be a difficult habit to break.

Comments

Dillon Davis 2 years, 6 months ago

Haven't seen too many more of those "This is Our Time" commercials recently. I wonder why...

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

2012 was hyped up (rightfully so) because this is the first year that we will have the next generation of good Royals all up and playing baseball at the Majors together. This is the start of what will BECOME a window of contending teams. We are an extremely young and inexperienced team so a start like this is not shocking. 2013-2016 should be contending years for the Royals because they will have talent at every position as well as enough experience to do some damage. 2011 and 2012 are the years of getting the feet wet.

Also... I know a 10 game losing streak sucks but I still wouldn't be surprised if this team ends up near .500. The raw talent on this team is unbelievable.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

We will never make the playoffs with David Glass at the helm, and you can bank on that. He is.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Why? With the exact same players we have right now, with another year of seasoning, we will have a playoff caliber team.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 6 months ago

Sad that the Royals can't put a winner team on to the field. It has been too long since there was a reason to follow the Royals into August. Now with this start, it is hard to follow them through April.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Disagree...

This team will be fun to watch. This team is the real deal but unfortunately they are also VERY young. For the first time in forever, the Royals have major talent on the team. The talent all just happens to be in the first or second year of their MLB career. 2011-2012 will be remembered for our guys getting their feet wet. My bet is that we see some great baseball from the Royals the second half of the season.

The best part about this team is that it is not going away any time soon. Moore has done brilliant work with contracts and because of that this core of talent is here for several more years.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I am right there with you, Bangkok Jay. I have been arguing about this with all of my friends and family over the past few weeks. We have a good enough lineup to win already and as the youngest team in baseball they will only get better. The pitching is shaky but Duffy and Montgomery show promise and Hochevar has tons of talent. Support them as they grow into a winning team!

I have been a Royals fan since the late days of George Brett and this is the first time I have ever thought that they had any kind of hope to be a winner. I wish other "fans" would show some patience with these young players instead of bailing on them and making fun of them after 1/10th of the season. If this baseball season were a college basketball game we would have 16 minutes left in the first half. Who gives up then? KC "fans" don't deserve a team if this is how they support their team.

Also, I spent a month in an around Bangkok a couple of summers ago. What a place!

Stan Unruh 2 years, 6 months ago

Bob Davis does a fantastic job on the radio. We always tune in his call of KU basketball and turn the TV sound off. I have missed his voice during the current Royals' homestand.Thanks for the update. I am glad it's not because he's not healthy.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

KC's problem is we have 2 owners who are the least competitive billionaires on the planet. It's all about making money and if they win that's just icing on the cake.

Why can't we have owners who hate to lose and will spend the money necessary to assure that happens? Until fans start boycotting and stop buying tickets, expect more of the same.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Disagree...

Right now it is not about spending money. That time will come in 4-5 years when our core of talented rookies sign their next contract. Then we can judge the Glass ownership.

Since Moore was hired, a LOT of money has been put into this team in the form of the farm system. The Royals will never win by out bidding the Yankees or Red Sox so we are going to have to win through the farm system.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Also...

In the crap days we let guys like Beltran, Damon, and Dye go because we wouldn't pay them. We also routinely skipped the best players in the draft to draft "sign-able" players. For several years now, we have been drafting guys like Hosmer, Moustakas, Starling who do NOT come cheap. We also see now that and guys like Soria, Butler, and Gordon getting extensions when they produce.

Since the hiring of Dayton Moore, the Royals have had a winning strategy put into place. Doesn't happen quick though.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice optimism. Sorry I can't believe it. 20 years of watching my own optimism being burned has ruined me. I refuse to support the Royals while David Glass is still associated with them.

jhox 2 years, 6 months ago

You've obviously been swayed by the Royals' propaganda machine, Bangkok_Jayhawk. First of all, yes, they've poured money into the farm system, but that money isn't enough to fund one long term contract of a big time star player. They've locked a couple of guys beyond their original free agency dates, but they've not locked up the couple of guys who really matter, and they didn't sign Grienke to a long term deal (I did understand that move though.)

This morning someone called a local radio station and asked why it is fans are always on Scott Pioli, who has delivered 1 playoff team in 3 years, but continue to feel sorry for Dayton Moore and give him a free pass. That's a good question.

The reality is the Hunt family and the Glass family are all about making money. The Royals have pocketed some pretty sweet profits the last few years, and they're laughing all the way to the bank, while too many fans still feel sorry for them because we're a small market team. Sorry, but that just doesn't fly with me any more. In the mean time they profit from the luxury tax imposed on the big spending franchises, and don't invest that money back into the franchise (which is what the money was meant to do.)

The reality is there are competitive owners, who hate to lose at anything, and their are greedy owners who are out for one thing, to maximize their profit. Both of KC's major franchise owners fall in that category.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, but you can't really put the Hunts into the David Glass category because the NFL has a salary cap. Doesn't matter how much money you have, you can only spend so much of it, so guys like George Steinbrenner can't buy up half the league's talent pool.

If MLB would do this, the Royals would have a fighting chance again.

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

I'll agree with your first statement. I like Bang's enthusiasm, but I'm sorry, I have no joy for either David Glass or Clark Hunt. I rate Glass around a 4 out of 10. Hunt is a -2. Hunt is so bad it actually stems some of my dislike of Glass. It is like the ugly girl standing next to the really ugly girl, suddenly she doesn't look so bad.

I will say that having Glass is better than the "brain" trust we had after the Kaufman's passed away, but I'm not putting him into the, "I really want to win" category.

And Clark Hunt is more worried about his tupee than his football team. Some owners own to compete (Jerry Jones), some owners own because they were born lucky, inherited a team, and they don't sell it because they like to puff out their chest at the country club (our guy C(H)unt).

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

Why retire now? He has been dead for years.

bville_hawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice triple-post. And you didn't say anything either.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

swunruhawk: Like Bob as well on televised KU BB games, but gave up years ago when I decided I didn't want to watch two games at the same time. Those delays are a killer when trying to keep up with the flow!

Joe Hyde 2 years, 6 months ago

If the TV live action image and radio signal play-by-play were synched I would never listen to any other announcers than Bob Davis and Chris Piper.

Call me superstitious, but many times over the years in an effort to bring the team a tiny extra bit of luck I've turned off the TV set and listened to Bob and Max/Bob and Chris on my cheapie $10 transistor radio. I like to think it's helped more than once.

tpatt 2 years, 6 months ago

Rex Hudler is awful, I wish that the Royals would let him go, I don't care if they hire Frank White back or not, anybody would be better than that guy.

bville_hawk 2 years, 6 months ago

The Royals will never be successful (IMHO) as long as David Glass owns the team. The "Wal-Mart Way" is not a winning business plan for a professional sports franchise. Anyone who saw Glass on 60 Minutes years ago when they were asking him about the "Made in America" signs on the displays full of clothing made in Asia knows he is dishonest or an incredible rube. You don't get to be CEO by being an incredible rube. The "Wal-Mart Way" is to fool people and screw people. Glass can't fool and screw the players because of their agents, so the only option is to fool and screw the fans.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, all you Royal fans, at least you have the 1985 World Championship win over the St.Louis Cardinals to smile about.

Since then, all we Cardinal fans have is 11 playoff seasons, 3 National League pennants and 2 World Championships to ease our pain.

The difference between the two teams??

St.Louis has a millionaire who is willing to spend money. Kansas City has a billionaire who isn't.

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

"St.Louis has a millionaire who is willing to spend money."

Tell that to Albert Pujols.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

PS Spend money wisely!!! Check AP's current average plus 0 homers!! We got the best 11 years...the Angels get the rest!!

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

Batting .246 with zero homers at the moment. Ole boy better start one of his late season surges if they plan on doing anything.

I am sure Texas will choke in the playoffs, but unless Anaheim is planning on locking up that wild card, they might think about playing better.

jayhawkinnc 2 years, 6 months ago

HAWKS1 2 years, 6 months ago

I haven't cared for Bob Davis for a looonng time. Especially his football broadcasts. If you walk into a room and the radio is on, it's hard to tell who has the ball by his level of excitement. He gets just as excited, if not even more excited, when the opponent makes a good play as when KU does. As much as I dislike KSUcks, I would take Wyatt Thompson any day over Davis! (Kevin Harlan would be the absolute best choice if we could have anyone we wanted imho)

Mitch Holthus has to be the WORST announcer in the NFL. (Although, the SD Chargers announcer is pretty darn poor also.) Sounds like a backwoods hick with his dumb little sayings. He is the master of the obvious in his analysis and over-estimates his knowledge of the game. Len Dawson must have nearly chewed his tongue off by now biting it when Holthus makes one of his stupid comments. Is announcing sort of like teaching? Once you get hired and get a few years in you gain tenure and you're there until you decide to retire?

Davis and Holthus can both BE retired as far as I'm concerned.

jayhawkinnc 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you, HAWKS1. I posted my disapproval of Bob Davis earlier today, but my post was later removed by the kusports.com people.

Jim Stauffer 2 years, 5 months ago

When did Glass become a billionaire? And the difference in the value of the Royals and the Cards makes the Cards owner much wealthier than Glass.