Tuesday, April 17, 2012

As good as billed: QB Dayne Crist living up to lofty expectations

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist gets down with the offensive line behind the sled as the unit runs through drills during practice on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

When word got out this winter about former Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist coming to join Charlie Weis at Kansas University, thoughts immediately turned to Crist’s vast knowledge of Weis’ offense and the advantage that would give the current KU roster.

So far, so true.

While that understanding has helped KU install its offense at a breakneck pace this spring, Crist’s grasp of the playbook also has inspired competition. It seems that many of Crist’s new teammates have taken it as a challenge to see just how well the 6-foot-4, former five-star QB knows his stuff.

Last week, when a few members of KU’s offense were asked if they had been able to stump Crist with questions about the offense, the resounding answer was no.

“Not at all,” sophomore running back Tony Pierson said. “Anything I ask Dayne, he just knows it off the top of his head.”

Added senior wide receiver Kale Pick: “No, I haven’t. And I’m still trying to. I’m always picking his brain, and he’s always quick to respond. He’s a sharp kid.”

So there you have it. In just about every way possible, Crist already has been as good as advertised.

Of course, there are many people — including Crist, himself — who won’t deem his time here worth much until it makes a difference on the field during the season. But with games still more than four months away, this is all KU can get from Crist right now. And coaches who have known him for years and players who have known him for weeks concur that Crist is making a difference.

“He’s not doing anything that I wouldn’t have expected,” Weis said. “I’ve known him since he was in 11th grade. What he has done is exactly what I would have expected.”

What all that entails is not found on a short list. In fact, much of it cannot be put on a list at all. From bonding with teammates and fitting in to being an obvious leader and KU’s first potential standout since Todd Reesing at the game’s most important position, Crist’s mere presence has brought back hope to KU football.

“It isn’t (just) the offense,” Weis said. “It’s really the whole team. If you’re a defensive player and you see that guy on the other side picking you apart, you’re saying, ‘We’ve got a chance.’ When you’re the offense and you come into the huddle, he has a presence.”

Added Pick: “I’m glad he’s here. He’s someone that we really need for our team. He’s the perfect guy for the job. He takes charge. Someone’s talking in the huddle, he’ll tell them to be quiet. He’ll tell them to listen to the quarterback. I like that.”

Crist credits his teammates’ open arms for his ability to feel like a Jayhawk and said he did not have to try especially hard to deliver on the things many hoped he would bring to KU’s program.

“It was such a unique situation that, really, all you can do is be yourself, and that’s what I’ve tried to do,” Crist said. “I didn’t try to fit certain needs or expectations that guys may have had of me. Like coach Weis, I wanted guys to know that I’m just an honest individual, and I’m going to try to be the same guy every day. I understood the dynamic, and I understood that I really needed to assert myself, especially with the offense. But at the end of the day, I really just wanted to be one of the guys.”

What he said next, when asked how he handled stepping into a situation where he was to become the face of a program that had seen so many tough times in the past 24 months, offered a glimpse into why it has been so easy for teammates to follow him and why Weis so badly wanted him to be his first quarterback at KU.

“I was pretty aware of what I was walking into when I made my decision to come here,” Crist said. “And that’s kind of what you’re faced with as the quarterback of a football team. I’ve experienced similar things at Notre Dame. But at the same time I’m just so happy to be at Kansas and to have the support of the fans. That’s huge, because I really do care about this place and the university and the fans. Just the excitement that’s there, that’s important to me. It’s flattering. But it’s there until you’re not successful, so I just want to be as successful as possible.”

He continued: “People talk about pressure all the time. Pressure doesn’t have to be a negative thing, now. Pressure’s a huge positive, and that’s really the way I view it. I think I play my best when the pressure’s at its highest. You’ve gotta enjoy it. Otherwise it’ll drive you crazy and you’ll fall apart.”

That last part is the other element of Crist’s experience thus far that has made him glad he came to KU. On top of fielding endless questions from teammates about the offense, doing whatever he can to fit in and carrying the weight of being the face of the franchise, Crist has found plenty of time to relish his reunion with Weis.

“Absolutely,” Crist said. “I’m in his office all the time. I’m probably bugging him. It’s refreshing being back with coach. I think he and I have a very good dynamic. I enjoy working with him. I enjoy taking in anything I can from him because I know how much knowledge he has. I’ll never be able to take it all in at once, but, every day, if I can get something from him, I’m getting that much better.”

Comments

Jason Keller 2 years, 7 months ago

"He takes charge. Someone’s talking in the huddle, he’ll tell them to be quiet. He’ll tell them to listen to the quarterback. I like that.”

Translation: If someone is talking in the huddle, Dayne says "shut the f*** up".

Kansas has needed a quarterback like this for years.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Sucks losing your best defensive player, quarterback and best receiver. Not a recipe for success. I'm stocked about next season at KU though.

Alex Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

Haha Pick doesn't sound like he's being led by anybody. "He's a sharp kid." Yeah, and aren't you guys the same age?

Sounds good so far. Hopefully we will see this translate to the field. Having a capable QB should really open up the running game for this stable of running backs. Can you imagine what Pierson is going to do? He was breaking 20+ yard runs and that was with 9 guys in the box!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I think Pick is going to have a killer season.. He's so fast and was open so many times last season but the were always throwing the ball behind him.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 7 months ago

When I first read the article headline my first reaction was...uhhhh did they play a few games I somehow missed?

tdub 2 years, 7 months ago

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"

• Allen Iverson

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Quoting Alan Iverson. Really , Thats all you got.

kcn18 2 years, 7 months ago

Lofty Expectations on the practice field? Well I guess he hasn't lost a game yet....so technically that's pretty good.

kcn18 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping he is that good. But you can't say he is living up to all this hype when he hasn't played a single game for KU yet. Factor in his time with ND and I would say he has not met these expectations. Article title is very misleading.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 7 months ago

Lofty Expectations? To do what, practice without getting hurt?

Jim Jackson 2 years, 7 months ago

I met Dayne when I was walking through Mass St after we beat OSU. He was a real cool guy. Told him the girls at KU made the girls at ND look like dudes and he laughed his ass off. Can't wait for him to tear it up.

Rock Chalk!

machinegun 2 years, 7 months ago

Dayne Crist is going to throw the ball a lot, excellent receivers like Kale Pick are going to catch and run, and the Hawks are going to put lots of points on the scoreboard. Only time will tell if the O-Line can handle the rush. We are going to surprise some people and I could see us beating the crap out of Texas!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 7 months ago

Okay, I'll buy in. I think we can beat ISU, Baylor, Tech. Would love to see us take it to WVA and TCU but don't expect that. Maybe OSU? If the defense is improved I think we have the weapons to be at 7 or more wins.

kufaninmo 2 years, 7 months ago

this kid seems like an awesome qb on paper...but i wonder if we're jumping the gun just a tad bit saying he's "living up to expectations" when we haven't played a game yet. maybe it's just me?

Matt Tait 2 years, 7 months ago

That was the point of the article, though...

He obviously can't live up to game-type expectations in the spring and summer, but there are still expectations for him and what he can do for this program and, by all accounts, he has knocked it out of the park in those areas.

Maybe that wasn't clear and, if not, that's my bad. But there's so much that goes into being the quarterback of a BCS-level football team and Crist appears to be so well equipped to handle all of it.

In the end, it will all come down to what he does on the field. But he's definitely already made a difference and that's with games still four months away.

Thanks for checking out the story!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt - The point of the article was fine, even if some folks can't see past their preconceived ideas. Leadership is such a huge factor, espcially for a QB. And even more so as a new program is established.

Love the "competition".

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt, Loved the article. There will always be a segment of the population that does not like anything. Haters gotta hate.

Darin Bradley 2 years, 7 months ago

Just hoping he can stay healthy. Not many questions on his abilities but can he last a full season??? God I hope :)

Domer_JayHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Great article-I am a wannabe JayHawk who graduated from Notre Dame. Your new coach, if nothing else, will make for exciting times. He doesn't mince words or avoid responsibility. Add that to a great mind and a bunch of other good attributes and you will not be bored or dissapointed. The ND players who have joined you are also top notch. I am sure the rest of the team will rise to the occassion as did ND when Charlie took over. Please do not put unreasonable expectations on any of them. Sit back and enjoy the great sport of college football at Kansas University. I know I will.

Domer_JayHawk (wannabe)

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

Welcome Domer!

Many if not most of us commenters graduated from KU and moved away, but we have all kinds who frequent this site.

Lifelong fans who span 6 or 7 decades, lifelong fans who span a few years, KU grads, KU students, future KU students, KU dropouts, alumni of other Kansas institutions, alumni of other Big 12 institutions, Jayhawk wannabes, and anyone else with any rooting interest in KU.

It's OK to be a Domer and a Jayhawk, we've even got a Sooner/Jayhawk on the boards. But no Mizzou Tiger/Jayhawks. If they even exist.

Thanks for commenting and I look forward to hearing more of your insights on Coach Weis, Dayne Crist, et al.

We certainly all hope that he (Weis) is more succesful at KU that he was at ND, but if not then we will probably all settle for being AS successful as he was at ND.