Monday, April 16, 2012

KU football lands oral commitment from St. Louis-area linebacker

A few days ago, the Kansas University football program addressed the present by adding fifth-year senior linebacker Anthony McDonald from Notre Dame.

Monday, the Jayhawks again began to look to the future when Kellen Ash, a 6-foot-3, 194-pound linebacker from Parkway South High in Ballwin, Mo., outside of St. Louis, orally committed to Kansas.

As a junior, Ash finished with 87 tackles, including 20 for loss, and was named all-conference, all-metro and all-state.

photo

2013 KU football commitment, Kellen Ash, of Parkway South High near St. Louis, Mo.

KU linebackers coach DeMontie Cross played a big role in landing Ash, who also drew interest from Ball State, Cincinnati, Illinois, Kansas State and Missouri. Head coach Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Dave Campo helped seal the deal a couple of weeks ago when Ash and his family made an unofficial visit. Ash told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that the early attention he received from KU made the Jayhawks the favorite from the beginning.

“They were the first to offer so I paid a lot of attention to them,” Ash told Kirby. “I like how they take care of their players. I feel like they can help me improve. I feel like all my hard work has paid off. I’m not going to slow down now. I have to keep getting better for the next level.”

Ash becomes the third member of the Class of 2013 to commit to KU, joining Basehor-Linwood tight end Ben Johnson and Bishop Miege quarterback Montell Cozart.

Comments

Pitthawk34 2 years, 6 months ago

Bring em on! This year I just want to be competative no more 40 point blowouts. I just want to see progress plain and simple. Respect thats all i am asking for year 1 and 2...year 3 a bowl game.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Agreed... 5 wins is a very reasonable expectation. We have 3 "gimmes" with the non-conference opponents we have and I think it is safe to say we should be able to improve enough to win 2-3 games in conference.

Cmill1221 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice. Good to see us getting a kid from the STL area.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

Meh...Until he finishes this season, red shirts, shirts his freshman year, plays special teams and a little junk time as a sophomore, all along eating and lifting until he is a 6'3" 235lb monster his junior year.

More Kool aide please!

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Wait, how many red-shirts are you giving this kid?

Alex Berger 2 years, 6 months ago

Rivals says this kid had 37 TFL and 19 sacks last year. Man, I hope rivals is right.

John Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Those are terrific numbers for a pretty ordinary size high school linebacker. Makes me think he must have some smarts to know where to be and some speed to take him there. His picture shows there is plenty of room for size and strength to make quantum jumps each of the next four or five years.

Kman_blue 2 years, 6 months ago

The numbers I found for him were, 87 tackles, 20 TFL, 19 sacks, 24 asst. T, 3 fumble recoveries, 1 Int., and at least 2 blocked kicks for last season. Kid has some wheels and good quickness.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

High school stats are misleading... Was he playing teams like Rockhurst or Missouri School for the Visually Impaired?

Either way 19 sacks would be amazing!

Kman_blue 2 years, 6 months ago

He's playing in the largest HS classing in the state of Missouri in the largest or one of the largest HS leagues in St. Louis, so mostly against teams closer to Rockhurst than Missouri School for the blind.

Chris1955 2 years, 6 months ago

Good news on the recruting front is always welcomed. Congratulations to Weis and the rest of the coaching staff.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 6 months ago

We need some four star big nasty talented D-linemen. Let's get this defense going !

syceda 2 years, 6 months ago

I trust coach, who knows what he will play but I bet this kid will play.

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Wha', those shiny new tiger uni's didn't sway him to the SEC? Nice addition. Spring game on the 28th. That's also a good time to trial run your tailgating for the fall.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like he could end up a safety for us. Undersized for a linebacker and I can't see him bulking up enough for a big 12 linebacker.

KUWorldTraveler 2 years, 6 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like he might Be pretty speedy, so I think that looks like a great frame for safety if he can deliver a hit.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Guys, he's not even a senior in high school yet. He won't play as a freshman. That's basically 2.5 years to put on about 25 pounds. No problem. Don't forget, Charlton Keith was a 6'5" 225 pound DE, and he tore it up!