Sunday, April 15, 2012

Georgia prep to pick Friday

Kansas among finalists for Tony Parker

Blue-chip high school basketball prospect Tony Parker need only purchase five hats for Friday’s news conference in which he’ll announce his college choice.

Parker, a 6-foot-9, 280-pound senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga. — who had joked to the Charlotte Observer he’d like to chop his list from seven to five because he has to “pay 30 dollars a hat” — on Sunday eliminated Memphis and Georgetown, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Parker, Rivals.com’s No. 27-rated player, has a final list of Kansas University, UCLA, Duke, Georgia and Ohio State.

“Tony is ready for it to get over with,” Miller Grove coach Sharman White told the Journal-Constitution on Sunday. “He’s planning on doing it on Friday. We haven’t set a time yet but when we do, we’ll let everybody know.”

He said reports that Parker had chosen UCLA were not true.

“That’s something that got started at (Jordan Classic all-star game last weekend). It doesn’t have any legs to it,” White told the paper. “Tony has not committed yet.”

Parker — he’s ranked No. 21 by ESPNU — scored eight points off 5-of-15 shooting and grabbed 12 rebounds in Saturday’s Jordan Brand Classic.

The Journal-Constitution listed reasons UCLA might be the favorite. Korey McCray, his former Atlanta Celtics AAU coach, was hired last summer as an assistant at UCLA. Former Celtics teammate Jordan Adams has signed with UCLA.

Also, the Nos. 1 (Shabazz Muhammad) and 3 (Kyle Anderson) players have signed with UCLA and have asked Parker to join them to form a strong recruiting class in Westwood.

“I can’t wait until he decides to come to UCLA hopefully,” Muhammad, who had 20 points in the Jordan Classic, told The Sporting News. “He’s such a good player, and if we get him, that’s the icing on the cake.

“It’s a big-time program and needs big-time players. When you get big-time players at big-time programs, you are successful on that level so I think if he puts himself in there with me, Kyle and the other McDonald’s All-Americans they have, I think it will be a great opportunity for us.”

Parker has publicly praised KU strength coach Andrea Hudy and indicated he’d like to be part of her strength program.

“I’ve got to go somewhere that has a crazy trainer like KP,” Parker told ESPN, referring to his trainer, Kevin Peoples. “That’s one of the things I love about Kansas. I love Hudy.

“She’s a monster,” Parker added. “She’ll get you where you need to be. Kansas has a lot of things I like. They love me there.”

It has been said his mother favors Georgia, yet also likes Duke.

In his recent diary entry for SLAM Magazine, Parker said: “I still have a lot to work on and right now I’m focused on expanding my game. I’ve been working on a variety of ways to score, especially away from the block. During high school, I was usually bigger and stronger than everyone else, so I would bully my way to the bucket, but at the next level that’s not going to work most of the time. I’m trying to stretch my game and work on my outside moves so guys will have to come out and defend me at different areas every trip down the court.”

Runner-up: Archie Goodwin, a 6-4 senior guard from Sylvan Hills High in Little Rock, Ark., who has signed with Kentucky, told ESPN.com his runner-up school was KU.

“I love coach Bill Self and I loved Kansas. The school was great, the fans were great and they did a great job recruiting me, but, honestly, there wasn’t anything they could’ve done to get me. I had been saying since the ninth grade that I wanted to play for coach (John) Calipari. I tried to give everyone a chance, but I never got the same feeling I did with Coach Cal,” Goodwin said.

Signing day for White: Andrew White, a 6-6, 210-pound senior guard/forward from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., will sign his letter of intent with KU today at his high school. White, who committed to KU in December and is ranked No. 56 by Rivals.com, averaged 22.9 points and 10 rebounds for 20-10 Miller School. He chose KU over North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Richmond, Texas, Georgetown and others. He will play in the Capital Classic all-star game Saturday in Alexandria, Va.

Comments

ssteve1 2 years, 8 months ago

wish i would have said that. i'm still laughing.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Pretty much agree. Hudy has helped so many of the Jayhawks, and not just the bigs, to get them ready for the rigors of college ball and beyond. While Josh Smith, IMHO, has degressed over the two years he's been at UCLA.

Caught the last 12 minutes of the Jordan Brand game, and Parker looked pretty good, although a little slow up the court at times. He also seemed to pass the ball pretty good. Made a steal which started a fast break, which he stayed in the middle of as his teammates raced ahead to score. And Parker's twelve rebounds were against Tarkzewski. The announcers were sure advertising Arizona's recruiting class during the game. Not to mention, Shabazz.

Nothing mentioned above about Anrio Adams. Isn't he supposed to take his SAT tests about now?

BrockIII 2 years, 8 months ago

KU's odds for landing Parker are not great. It's not impossible, but not likely. The recruiting "experts" are putting KU in the second tier of schools on his list and UCLA is the leader. Maybe he can become the second coming of Josh Smith if this is the case.

With Hudy and Manning, KU put together an elite coaching/strength and condition program that for nearly a decade has developed many kids (some starting as complete projects) into strong college performers and NBA products. But honestly, when has this been the deciding factor in attacting the "elite" big men prospects out of HS? Did it factor greatly in the choices of Arthur, Aldrich, Morris twins, Robinson?

KU is a first class program - there's no debate - but these kids' decisions are based more on playing time, system, personality, AAU connections and on and on and on. I'm glad he has taken notice of Hudy's work and I hope more kids would come to the conclusion that this is one of the critical factors in preparing them for the next level. It's a shame that most do not and they end up paying for it.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I do too..Parker will get immediate PT at KU and Howland's gone if he can't produce. Only reason he still has a job is due to his recruiting class.

Georgia? I guess he would be the star at a school that doesn't care that much about basketball.

Parker picks the KU hat.

KUDUDE 2 years, 8 months ago

IT NOT GOINING TO BE US WE WHY WORRY ABOUT IT

2 years, 8 months ago

Love the Mr. Snrub avatar too :-)

KUFan90 2 years, 8 months ago

+10. We have no chance with hats.

And hey, isn't it supposed to be "The University of Kansas"? ;) ;) ;)

PittsburghJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, and his other finalists are LAUC, the University of Duke, Georgia University, and THE State University of Ohio.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

kufan- Dang...you're avatar is simply illegal. I lose my train of thought everytime I see your avatar on the board.

Crap.

martyks 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry. What were we talking about?

KUFan90 2 years, 8 months ago

It's from a "Girls of KU" calendar from like 8-9 yrs ago.

Do they still do those?

prusso25 2 years, 8 months ago

Haven't heard anything about Archie. I know I am bias, but I just don't see the appeal of Cal. He has always struck me as boisterous and annoying, but that is just me. I am sure he is a nice guy, but his personality is just too big. I don't get why kids line up to play for the guy.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

crispy, green handshake whets the appetite for the league.

Jack Rivers 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't any of the parents say "you're a high school student, just say where you are going and get to class!"

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Agreed. Get to class, and get SOME class. Quit yankin' chains. You have mad skills, yet a teaser hat ceremony is necessary? Really?

omng392 2 years, 8 months ago

If, and a big "IF" I ever had a son or daughter good enough to play college B-Ball, and they want pull that cr@p with the hats. I'll be the first to let them know that they haven't done anything yet, and results speak for your work, not the other way around

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

And buried in the debris is Andrew White's ink to paper. WELCOME Andrew!!! Everything indicates you are a CLASS act who understands both basketball and life. Can't wait to have to aboard!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

I think he should go to Georgia, but he will end up at UCLA!

prusso25 2 years, 8 months ago

Haha love it. Why get a chubby kid when we already have a guy who has a problem of putting on TOO MUCH MUSCLE?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

OK - now I'll pay him 30 bucks to take the KU hat out.

We did kinda alright this year. I think we can survive without him.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 8 months ago

How many ESPN "hat jugglers" have we even landed? The janitor at ESPN has a closet full of KU hats he's picked up off the floor over the last ten years.

While Kansas has been just fine without them in the past, I'm worried about the future of my favorite sport in the hands of cocky 18 year olds. Kentucky was pretty darn lucky this year, their OAD's were rock solid but that had to be a fluke, didn't it? There's no way the future of college basketball is going to be dominated by "fab fives" ...at least I hope not!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I fully agree. It was pretty much of a fluke. How many 18 year old hot dogs are going to play that well together? This years Kentucky team must have all had GREAT kindergarten teachers. Normally they'll all be fighting each other for the stats.

It's too bad that the NCAA/NBA/and whatever other necessary acronyms can't get together and come up with a plan to keep youngsters (wow - now even I think that makes me sound old) in school at least 3 years before college basketball is totally ruined.

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Kentucky winning the title was more about the two one and dones that stayed (Lamb and Jones) than about the Freshman that they had. They also had a pretty good Senior in Miller. Don't give the Freshman all the credit. I am pretty sure they will try to get at least two players to return next year. That is the key for them.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Very good point, KansasComet. Cal's 3 superfrosh blended well with those other 3; and Jones, esp., finally settled in to play team basketball. This was not a Fab 5 year for Calipari. More of a Fab 3 + Solid 3. I don't know how many of those 6 matriculated to the Wildcats with cheap hat tricks; but the one whose signing week turned into a sordid public debacle spent at least 15 months to settle into a dependable team player, even tho his ugly mugging detracted from an otherwise terrific national championship run. I'm pleased that Jones did not select and stick with the Kansas cap. But if he had, I'd like to think our coaches, training staff and LJW posters would have molded him into a prouder representative of the program and school he represented.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Don'r forget their rarest of rare breeds..a Senior Kentucky wildcat!!

Chris1955 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought they were a myth, like Sasquatch.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 8 months ago

That's not a myth! Haven't you seen finding bigfoot? That Bobo guy is legit! I mean who wouldn't believe those guys? Hell two of them claim to have never seen one and still believe! Plus they investigate with spot on precision and detail to the scientific method. Hey Bobo go stand over there by that tree. Well does that look like a the creature you saw? No well how big was he? Ok well Bobo grab those krispy cream's eat some so the bigfoot's know it's safe. We'll find em in that squatchy place!

I'm kidding! They are idiots! I just had to have fun with that comment.

mgphill 2 years, 8 months ago

They won't have Anthony Davis every year, but Cal clearly is getting better at molding them into a team that is unselfish and plays ferocious defense.

GabrielMichael 2 years, 8 months ago

The character of the kind of players that come to KU typically don't have the time for the hat shell game...

nativeson 2 years, 8 months ago

It is likely that the rules are going to change with the NCAA in the next few years. My guess is that the 1 and done rule will be replaced with a go or stay rule. The players like Shabazz should be able to go straight to the NBA, but the 99% who need some level of coaching and development should stay for some time.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The thing is, it's not really up to the NCAA. The one and done rule is part of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. They just signed a new CBA this season (which ended the strike/lock-out) and nothing changed. So, my guess is that it will not be changing until at least the next CBA, and, considering the NBA players don't want it to change, it may never change at all.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Mark Cuban has already said that as an owner, OADs must and will be required to play in the D league. He says they just aren't ready for the NBA. He says it doesn't matter how talented they are They will play in the D league.

He wasn't too high on Calipari's little enterprise in Lexington and says it's not good for the players academically or their careers. I agree, these players whether OAD or even if they stay should be required to playi n the D-Leauge. This will cool their jets to bolt into the NBA. These kids are enamored by the NBA and rightly so, but it doesn't mean they are NBA ready.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

How can these cheap bastards at the networks not pay for the flipping hats?!!! They are probably making a quarter mil in commercial revenues bare minimum on the commercials wrapped around your content, if they only run you once. The hats are props in a TV PR production! It would be a deductible expense!

bradh 2 years, 8 months ago

Probably some NCAA rule that would get broken.

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

They could all be blue and edit in the teams later.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 8 months ago

Usually where there is smoke there is fire and so I expect he signs with UCLA. They will be good but won't be this past seasons Kentucky. Then they break up and most go pro.

For us however I am curious to hear more about the Turner situation in AZ. Is he coming here?

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree about Parker, but I'm in my 40s now and I can't stay up late enough to watch Pac-12 basketball. This is the last time I'll ever hear about this guy!

Brian Mensch 2 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps he should pick UCLA over KU...good decision for J'mison "Bobo" Morgan and worked out pretty well. History never repeats itself.

2 years, 8 months ago

“Parker — he’s ranked No. 21 by ESPNU — scored eight points off 5-of-15 shooting…”

Can someone explain how you can only score eight points off 5-of-15 shooting?

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 8 months ago

Parker ended up 4-15 fgs for 8 points...Parker is so far out of shape and couldn't shoot over the other bigs. Jimmy Dykes stated during the game that Parker "is the only big guy here who plays below the rim".

mdfraz 2 years, 8 months ago

I was also wondering when they instituted 1-point field goal shots.

2 years, 8 months ago

Intriguing to think about! I remember when you wrote this. Whatever became of your jaybate-esque postings of yore? New job? Better usage of discretionary time? :-)

JayCeph 2 years, 8 months ago

txrockchalk - I miss the exposition that used to take place on these boards. I haven't stopped perusing this one. I read it religiously.

There just seemed to be so much proliferation of petty petulance that the salient and erstwhile posts from many of the die-hard thinkers got lost in the shuffle. They are still out there but the chance of continuing a meaningful dialog has been drastically reduced.

Yes, I've had new jobs but I can think of almost no better way to whittle away discretionary time than to play in this space.

Don't worry, I'm still out here in the ether... just playing the role of 'watcher' (learner? listener?) more than anything.

2 years, 8 months ago

Completely understand, JayCeph. I used to also enjoy comments from and dialogue with some of the old school posters such as seattlehawk_78 and Lebowski, just to name a couple. I fear they may have left completely for reasons similar to what you have pointed out. Glad you are still around.

JayCeph 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks! Me too! ;)

btw - Thanks for the Jaybate reference. I used to love to participate in long-winded ramblings with him. Still read his posts (mostly). ;)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Lol - I was just scrolling through here to see if anybody caught that. I'm no math whiz, but sumpin don't sound quite right......

Maybe it was 5 out of 15 free throws? In which case, we don't want him anyway.

Robert Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

I read the article and thought this kid is cocky and self absorbed. But after thinking about it, I realize that he did not create this media circus that makes mini celebrities out of high school kids. His comments were pretty thoughtful. I am curious among today's elites, what the true perception of Self and KU is. it would not seem to be a great place for the super-elite- the one and done, but would be a great place for the Top 30-50 players who want to take three years and Improve their game and enhance their chance to get drafted into the NBA. It would appear Parker would fit into the latter category

Joe Joseph 2 years, 8 months ago

No problem with the hats so long as they don't act like they're going with one then choose another. That's a pretty d*** move.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

Or better yet, they act like they're going with one, then they choose another, but don't send in a signed LOI, and then commit to a third school.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 8 months ago

I know Parker said that Manning choosing to leave doesn't factor into his decision, but I feel as if it will be a deterrent for him.

Thoughts?

ldjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Can't see Tony land in Lawrence to be honest, unless this young man want to do a Cole which means stays at scholl for multipul years and doesn't mind play behind Jeff for year 1. KU will have Jeff, Lucas and possibly Peters as centre so playing time will be very limited. Plus, don't we really need a point guard than another big? Anyway, if Tony puts his Jayhawk hat on on Friday that would be fantastic!

panalytic 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm with Alohahawk and would like to hear what is the latest on Anrio Adams if anyone has heard - if he passed his SAT?

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Ok, ok, ok...I think we all agree about Parker and the hat trick. However, let's give the kid some credit. He seems intelligent. These kids are always talking to each other, trying to get others to their program of choice. It doesn't always work. Howland is desperate and hiring Parker's former AAU coach was pretty obvious under the circumstances. Howland is drowing in his own vomit of issues at UCLA. My guess is, he has this year to turn the program around in every way or he's gone. He knows it.

Parker knows he needs some physical training. He knows that his game needs work too. I really don't think UCLA will give him the tools to be successful. I know Georgia won't be able to help him. Dook is the only other school that might have a fair chance. He's already voiced his concern about a 5'11 coach teaching him post moves. I won't be surprised who he picks at this point.

If he picks UCLA, he's only doing it for all the wrong reasons. It will show that he's easily influenced by a bunch of overrated brats. If he picks Georgia and plays with all the homies, then he's not mature enough to leave home. Lastly, dook is not a place for bigs. They are a little like UCLA. It's all about the brand and the coach, not player development. If Parker wants to develop a competitve nature, work physically, and to be a part of the richest tradition in bball, KU will be his pick. I am amazed at how well the players mature and grow on and off the court. I don't think the others show that much of these abilities like KU. If he's smart, he'll make the right decision. If you think about it, KU is his absolute best choice in his situation. I'm not saying this as a KU fan. He's probably torn between working hard and smart or going somewhere and only maintaining the status quo. He will hurt himself in the long run if he chooses anywhere else. He will be much like Daniel Orton if he goes anywhere else who just fell through Calaprari's cracks. Calipari didn't develop Orton and screwed him big time.

Ultimately, I don't care anymore where he chooses. I like who we have coming and the next few years through 2013 looks pretty good. Parker will choose an easy path or a difficult. His choice will define his character and work ethic.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Very nice post..you just made my poster list of guys I have to kid!! :)

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Welcome, truehawk93, even though it is an iClub of degenerative logorrheacs hellbent on extirpation of all things UK in which the official designator, OakvilleJHawk, is a list-aholic and recovering Missourian masquerading as an aging architect in heat. :-)

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

I have to disagree Truehawk. He's not mature enough if he doesn't leave home? Is Perry Ellis mature enough? Out of the entire list outside of Kansas, I think Georgia is the best for Parker.

Georgia isn't a household name, but Mark Fox isn't a stranger to putting talent in the NBA either. He's trying to turn around the Georgia program and most importantly he has "Playing Time" available which good or bad, showcases your talent to the NBA execs!

Fox has developed Fazekas, Snyder, Babbit, Pinkney and others and he just signed Georga's first McDonald's All-American in 20 years last year in Caldwell-Pope. Parker would be the second so let's not totally discount Georgia because IMO his talents would best be showcased at either Kansas or Georgia, but then again I'm not making that decision.

The good thing about UCLA is that Parker will be able to hide his flaws at times because Anderson and Bazz will do such a great job of attacting attention. That's not a negative if you're a big man like Parker. Let's face it, Anthony Davis offensive flaws never really came about because he had such great talent surrounding him feeding him for dunks. Same may be said about Parker, but he won't have the impact that Davis did.

With all that said, I think Georgia very well may be the best fit out of the group for the Parker kid. I wish him luck regardless.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Georgia is no KU and Fox is no Bill Self. I have respect for Fox and his coaching record.

Ellis would've been crazy not to choose KU.

You may be right about Georgia though. I would have no problem with him staying home. I just don't think Fox will max his talent.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone can hide flaws at UCLA. It's the Pac 12.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

truehawk93, I am pretty much with you regarding that line, "Ultimately, I don't care anymore where he chooses." He sounds like a rational young man, other than his desire to emulate NBA cap mongers. But if he does sign with us, then someone from the current squad will have to transfer. And we already have a bevy of bigs packing their bags to come to Lawrence. Personally, I'd rather see Bill Self unearth a dependable point guard to make an immediate impact next year, preferably a transfer or j.c. recruit with solid experience. Unless, of course, Travis or BenMac is capable of playing some valuable minutes at the point. If that should be the case, then we could really use an immediate impact at the 4 position, to free Perry Ellis to play some 3.
Anrio Adams might yet hold a surprise for us, in the grand scheme of next year's lineup....

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Uh, those point guards don't grow on trees (see Tyrone Appleton for the highly rated Juco transfer).

Parker would be a terrific add. I posted this a day or two ago:

Given that we We have Withey, who will be gone in one season. Ellis, who may be a bit more of a three. Then three low or unranked guys in Traylor, Lucas and Peters .. each of whom may be fine in time, but it is unrealistic to think that they may be a big impact their first season, or even potentially their second seasons.

Parker is clearly viewed as more skilled and simply a better player by literally everyone. Reports in game action vs. top guys makes it appear that he is the real deal. Whether you like rankings or not, they're a good indicator of guys who may be able to contribute early and be effective. Parker is more likely to be able to contribute this coming season than the other 3 above. Like jhox said, you make it happen.

And for those that just "trust coach Self" .. well, Self wants Parker. That should thus completely satisfy that crowd.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't be a debbie downer.................he's going to UCLA! :)

Note: I am just having fun being sarcastic! Not about the UCLA part though!

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Point guard.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

I really think Tharpe needs to crap or get off the proverbial pot. Adams may jump in and take his pg postion. I think there's a chance Green could play the pg in 2013. It's too early to tell what happens to Tharpe or BMac.

I'm really concerned about Tharpe. I don't know any other pgs right now, other than Turner that Self can get. We are fine at the pg this year with EJ. We lose Withey and EJ next yr. We have Green coming and we may lose BMac pending his year. Travis will be gone too. We'll have at least three openings, if everyone stays out of the early NBA draft, ie. BMac is the only possible candidate.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

With Adams (if he qualifies) and Tharpe, if he's still around, and adding Frankamp in 2013, the Jayhawks would have a strong backcourt after losing EJ. In addition, KU has a chance to get Alek Freeman, a 5 star PG/SG in 2013. He has narrowed his list down to two, KU and Villanova. The problem with Josh Turner is twofold: He's a transfer, so he couldn't help in the upcoming season. And what were the problems he had at Arizona? Was he at fault, or was it a coach vs player problem. After all, he did play (start?) in seventeen games. But only averaged 6+ points a game, on a lackluster team at best. If KU picked up Turner, it would probably scare Freeman away. I think I'd rather have Freeman.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah- I forgot about Frankamp. He's all money. This kid reminds me so much of Heinrich. I also love Allerik Freeman. I hope we can get him.

I was speaking about Turner in immediate terms not future pgs. But Frankamp and Freeman will be outstanding.

I wouldn't touch Turner now.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

If he starts saying " I am taking my talent/game/lazy fat a$$/freight/load/carcass to..." I will be loudly hoping that he chooses to take his a talent/game/lazy fat a$$/freight/load/carcass to a school other than KU. Self-absorbed, LeBron wannabes are not a good fit at team-oriented KU.

Adam James 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't understand Big Men when it comes to signing with KU. When was the last time we had a top 10 big man out of high school. If you look at the success we have had with the development of guys that are anywhere from 20-100 it is off the charts. Why in the world would a top 10 Big Man not choose KU. Especially when our system is built for Big guys.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

I am not sure if you are referring to top 10 overall or top 10 at the position (big man). If it is the second, then has had a few. Jeff Withey was ranked #36 overall and #8 center by Rivals. Marcus Morris #29 overall and #10 forward. Thomas Robinson #31 overall, #10 forward.

William Weissbeck 2 years, 8 months ago

Ninth grade and Coach Cal? Most high schoolers I know can't even name the VP. Says something about the prima donas masquerading as amateurs. I'll go out on a limb and blame baseball free agency. Gone are the days when most boys could come close to naming the starting rotations for most major league teams.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

My real alias is Equatorial Eastley. What does your alias stand for?

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"Recruiting, or What Is Wrong with this Picture?"

~UCLA has a coach, Ben Fouland, reputedly on the ropes, a coach the AD reputedly called on the carpet for losing control of his players, a coach that has never won a ring, a coach that has won only 65% of his games, a coach that finished 5th in the Pac 10 2 of the last 3 years, and a team that hasn't been a serious contender since 2008, yet OADs are flocking to Westwood, like the ghost of Sam Gilbert is throwing pool parties.

~Reputedly an outstanding, unretracted Chicago newspaper story reputedly alleging payment negotiations for a UK player from a previous season hangs over the UK program, yet the OADs keep flocking to UK.

~Self at KU, reputedly doing it the right way in recruiting, wins a ring in 2008 and comes in second in 2012, wins 8 straight conference titles, wins more games than any other program the last five years, and is losing recruits to Ben Fouland of UCLA.

~Donovan at Florida, reputedly doing it the right way in recruiting, wins two straight rings in 06 and 07 with two fine players, a nucleus that stayed four years, and fabulous coaching by Donovan, but Donovan is being beaten out for OADs and five stars by Ben Fouland.

~Consonants at Duke, reputedly doing it the right way in recruiting, wins a ring in '10, has more rings than any other active coach, is the winningest coach in NCAA history, and he is being beaten out for the best OADs and 5 stars by Ben Fouland.

Is it really just more PT that attracts players to UCLA this season?

Do the quality of coaching and the program really not matter that much to players?

Are Wooden's ten rings 40 years ago really that big of an attractor to kids today?

Or is it three straight flame-outs in the Final Four ending 4 seasons ago that attract OADs to UCLA?

And if it is Hollywood and the beach scene that are attracting them to UCLA this season, why do Hollywood and the beach scene attract them some years, but not others?

What is wrong with this picture?

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

You want girls on the beach (or even off the beach) in bikinis, come to Hawaii. However, I don't see a mass exodus of 5 stars heading to Honolulu for the bikini action. Of course, UH has only made it to the big dance, what is it, once?

And, we may not be Hollywood, but we do have Hawaii Five-O. :>)

Dan Harris 2 years, 8 months ago

Book-em Danno(does Wesco beach count?)

Jason Keller 2 years, 8 months ago

Dude, it's Los Angeles.... It's hollywood.... It's the media capital of the world... The only reason everyone and there dog hasn't been going there is because they haven't been good in a while. With the promise of a good season, why not go there? It's warm, stars everywhere, girls everywhere........... Oh oh sorry, I think I was day dreaming.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

I lived and worked there for most of a decade, Mr. Spiccoli.

The part that is great about LA you have to live there quite awhile to get.

The good parts kids imagine almost do not exist outside BH, Brentwood, or Pacific Palisades, or are up in Santa Barbara, down the 405 in Balboa Island, or way down the 405 San Diego way, in places like Encinitas, or Del Mar, or La Jolla.

The bad parts you dread are everywhere in the LA Basin.

Great, great city, great, if you can take the time to learn it; great school no matter what, but a dumb place to go to ball, until they hire a good coach. And aren't they likely to hire one after this coming season?

Hey, Mr. Spiccoli, do you think the players are going there, because they know there will be another coach after next season?

My hypothesis has been that the AD only kept Howland long enough to get his recruits locked up and with the recent signings, he is probably already lining up Howland's replacement right now.

UCLA has finished 5th in the Pac Ten+2 two of the last three years; that is like serving raw pork with mayonnaise on white bread during Passover at Cantors Deli two out of three days. Howland has only won 65% of his games in his career; that is as unacceptable as giving points above the line in a picture to an actor coming off two bombs. UCLA has been playing players that look like they were raised in a drive-through insane asylum; that's about as acceptable as Frank Gehry knocking down the late Dennis Hopper's Venice crib and building a concrete tilt-up with a racing stripe in its place. Somethings are just not done at the dignified school amidst Bel Air, Brentwood and Beverly Hills.

If UCLA and Westwood, next to Bel Air, and the stars, are the player magnets you think they are, Mr. Spiccoli, then the UCLA AD is perhaps right now lining up the next coach, likely someone that can win at least 75-80 percent of his games. They are out there. We have one in Lawrence. UNC has one. Duke has one. Kentucky has one. Louisville has one. And so on.

Why doesn't UCLA?

And I still wonder, Mr. Spiccoli, why are all the players going there when they don't?

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate, you left out: At KU the Jayhawks play every game in front of 'standing room only' crowds. When's the last time UCLA has sold out even one game? Only guessing, but last season there appeared to be far more empty seats than there were filled. Parker would be able to hear each individual person's clap each time UCLA scored? And the sound would ricochet, one seat to the next, throughout the arena. It would be just like playing back in those high school gymnasiums. Now, compare that to the atmosphere you experienced in AFH during the KU vs MU game this past season, Mr. Parker.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

I attended the KU/UCLA game there 2(?) years ago. There were almost as many kansas fans as ucla. Without the KU fans the arena would not have been more than half full at best.

I've spent a lot of time in LA. Parts of it are extremely lovely and lively. But I've always thought there was a very surface-level (superficial), "easy come-easy go" quality. Not everyone, just more prevalent than other areas.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey let's all make a bunch of negative comments about a high school kid and then still hope KU gets good recruiting classes?

If Self is offering a big a scholarship I want him at KU. Hopefully he doesn't want to be overly influenced by other players in making his choice, wants to make his own decision. UCLA will probably lose their top two recruits after one year, and they have their frontcourt returning from last year's team. We've got more than just Hudy at KU, many reasons for you to pick KU Mr. Parker. You'll have every opportunity to get run this year and a great chance to anchor the front line in the future. You want to learn how to play against great defenders, go up against Withey in practice for a year. You want to learn the game from an absolute master, HCBS is second to none. You want the most incredible atmosphere in college hoops, Allen Fieldhouse is the cream of the crop. You want to learn from upperclassmen that have been there, we've got a great group of seniors ready to take you under their wing.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Here, here, I too like to crush my sour grapes after recruits choose another school, not before. :-)

Ray March 2 years, 8 months ago

he spent $150 and he's going to toss $120 of it on the floor and never wear them again?! why all the hooplah and why buy each hat for $30?! why not just tell coach Self that you're coming here and skip all the drama?!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

maybe we should forget about where these kids go to school and start a business selling CHEAP hats.

We could get rich and famous! A few Business name suggestions:

Hat's R Us. Cheap Hats for Spoiled Brats Hats for Less Hat-Mart Discount Derbies Bargain Basement Bonnets Fire Sale Fedoras

memhawk,

You speculated I might be the pitiful old fellow on the bench in a previous thread.

This is closer to my physical appearance and stature.

Yeeeeee hawwwwww!!!!

Fred Davis 2 years, 8 months ago

I would be stunned if this kid picks Kansas. He's going to end up at UCLA. KU's going to be fine, this class they have now is already solid, and I like the makeup of the kids Self has already in the program. My question is how much is the departure of Manning going to hurt when it comes to luring big men to Lawrence... I guess we'll see.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

The glamour of Hollywood, the bright lights of Kentucky, Georgia on my mind, the hat ceremony, ....I've just got this funny feeling when all signs point away from KU, come Friday, we'll all get a big, happy surprise!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Oakville, I think some of us will be pleasantly surprised. Now I can't wait for Friday.

bennybob 2 years, 8 months ago

I have a prediction to make:

If Parker commits to KU, the overwhelming consensus on these boards will be that rankings do matter and the kid will be stud.

I Parker doesn't commit to KU, the overwhelming consensus on these boards will be that rankings don't matter and we never needed this kid.

ahhhh, the eternal optimism that is biased fanaticism.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

His dad has said that the announcement has been moved from this Friday to next Thursday.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

JayhawkSlant tweeted this earlier:

"According to Tony Parker's father, his son isn't going to announce on Friday. Plan is to announce next Thursday. #kubball"

Jason Keller 2 years, 8 months ago

(Sigh......) I miss T-Rob :(

I've never had this much trouble letting go of a KU team. I'm going to miss Tyshawn's loose play and Thomas's thunderous dunks. I suppose next year is an all new team to fall in love with although, no matter what happens, I can't see them capturing our hearts the way this team did.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

• 1000! So agree!

Speaking of thunder dunks, do you think we'll see more dunks from the bigs, or from the perimeter players this coming season? I'm including Ellis as a (3) perimeter player, along with McLemore, White, Johnson, Releford, Tharpe, Adams (if qualifies) and Lindsay. Bigs are: Withey, Traylor, Young, Peters, Lucas and Wesley. Could be a toss-up. I'm voting McLemore as top dunker for the season, with Withey or Ellis in second.

Jason Roberts 2 years, 8 months ago

KU has such a dearth of big men coming in next year I wouldn't be surprised if Tony doesn't choose us for that reason alone. Then again, if he's up to a challenge and wants to win a national title in the next 1-2 years, there's no doubt that Lawrence should be his destination of choice as the other guys would work him enough that his weight would shoot down 10-15 pounds.

We will miss T-Rob's inside toughness but we'll have enough big guys to cover his stats. As for the backcourt, it is my hope that Tharpe will improve on his ball-handling and decision-making enough that he'll play more than 5 minutes per game. If not, EJ's legs will be spent before March.

JayCeph 2 years, 8 months ago

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Plethora > Dearth. Multitude > Dearth. Host > Dearth

Joel Hood 2 years, 8 months ago

Can anyone remember a signing day or recruiting circus that turned out well for KU? It seems to me that some of the best players we have had, signed quietly and made little of it. There is something to be said about modesty off the court (i.e., Perry Ellis.)

Remember when the Henry brothers decided to come to KU how these boards were crazy. Anyone remember the Terrell Jones fiasco? I may be wrong, but if Tony Parker decides to go somewhere else after dragging it out for so long, then fine - best of luck to him. Throwing a hat party is about "look at me" on my path to the league. We want players that want to be a part of something greater - I hope Tony gets that.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

Who is this Terrel Jones you speak of? If you mean Terrence Jones, that ended up being, as Shakespeare would say, much ado about nothing, since a a few days after pledging to Washington, he signed with the squid.

Joel Hood 2 years, 8 months ago

( my bad... Terr*) You make my point. Why be part of a circus?

Miguel Colón 2 years, 8 months ago

I have a stupid question to ask. When these kids don't pick us and there are hats sprawled out all over the studios of ESPN, are those the hats the ESPN analysts are wearing when they come on their personal time to watch a game at Allen??

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"Will Next Year Be a Bigger Coaching Challenge than This Year for Self?"

HEM et al,

Heretic time.

If Traylor, Lucas and Peters fail to make big impacts next season (and I am not disagreeing with you on this likelihood), then Self is going to have to do an even better job of coaching next season than he did this season.

And this I think Self will have to do.

Last season required 4 players ready to come through to come through. And they did, however fitfully, at times. And when they fully matured, Self had the best starting five of perhaps anyone but Kentucky. His problem was lack of depth and how to milk the clock, so that he could play his best five against the opponent's best five starting about even the last 10-12 minutes of games. But when Conner and Kevin proved able to play ten to 20 mpg defensively, then he had 7 bodies, which was all a coach needed. Cal even pulled it off with only six. Frankly, based on managing lack of depth, it was Cal that was overlooked for coach of the year honors.

This coming season is much more problematic for Self than last season, despite everyone's euphoria about all the incoming talent.

This season requires three starting offensive glue men--EJ, Travis, and Jeff to come through as impact offensive players, plus it requires a skinny, 6'8" seventh man to become a starter, or at least stay a credible glue 6th man inside without a Superman to rebound for all of them, plus it requires two more maybe readies--BenMac and Traylor, plus two more freshman bigs that are rarely ready for more than glue roles--Ellis and Peters--to become capable glue bigs able to rebound for Jeff.

EJ seems a good bet to come through at PG defensively and can be expected to drive on offense nearly on a par with Tyshawn, but his trey shooting is unlikely to equal Tyshawn's 38% rate from last year, given EJ could not achieve even that taking open looks from the two this year.

Travis can now be expected to accomplish what ever Self asks of him, short of handling the long and strongs like Kidd-Gilchrist late in a tourney run.

Part 2

Jeff, whom I am a big fan of, seems the most problematic position for next year. He had a great season as a shot blocker and he guarded the post exceptionally well as the season wore on. Frankly, he destroyed Anthony Davis's offense, leaving him a pitiful 1-10 from the field vs UK, and Jeff created similar bad shooting performances for other bigs he faced. He's quite a defender. But he did all of this riding Thomas Robinson's fabulously strong rebounding, good back-up defense, good chase defense and relentless offense. Jeff did not have to score and could not chase defend. And Jeff often could not score, when Thomas did get bottled up. He's going to score a ton early this next season, because Self is going to try to get him untracked, but I just don't see him being able to take it up and finish even with another year of weight work, once the doubles and triples the long and strongs confront him. His best role is the one he played this season: guarding the post and blocking shots, while gluing on offense. He just will likely not be strong enough to take double and triple teaming and produce anything on offense. Thomas was quite freakish that way. Again, it will be deceiving, because Jeff will have some triple doubles in pre conference and against some conference teams, too, so everyone will get inflated expectations. But those expectations will get punctured when he comes up against the caliber of a Royce White. Jeff will guard him well, but not be able to score, because of doubles. And they will double him at least, because if they do it will shut him off and force Self out of his beloved, high efficiency inside game.

And who else does KU have to go to inside for offense next season? Kevin? He could become a threat, but not the kind of threat that can muscle the ball down when the opposing coaches really put the wood on him.

Ellis, when he isn't playing 3? Maybe, but if Thomas and Marcus could not dominate at the 4 as freshman, and could only begin to be forces the second half of their sophomore years, can we really expect Perry Ellis to step into the four and muscle D1 style?

And then what? Traylor is a rebounder with limited offense.

Peters? Though bullishly strong, and maybe the best compliment on the surface to a slender Withey and a slight Kevin, will have to learn to score against guys his size and bigger; that takes a couple of years. So: we've got a real problem with points in the paint, even if some of our newbies and freshmen can learn how to guard the blocks out of the box.

Part 3

This likely lack of punch against powerful teams inside brings us to BenMac--the reputed perimeter scoring machine. He's going to have to be a scoring machine and he's going to have to be able to defend, too, if we are to make a serious run at a conference title and at the ring again next season. BenMac is going to have to be a serious trey threat that can deal with the moving picks by the big and brawny! My problem with BenMac without having seen him play is that he is too skinny to take the abuse and score, once he becomes as the guy to muscle to stop. But maybe he will muscle up by then.

And the question marks just accumulate and cascade beyond this.

No doubt, there are going to be more bodies capable of spending time on the floor this season than there were last.

But the bodies and minds are not as far along and, by seasons end, should not be as far along as the bodies and minds were at the end of this season in most cases.

The best eight will almost certainly be in total more talented basketball players than this year's first eight.

But I doubt that the first seven can become as good as this past season's first seven, even with the very limited Conner and Kevin this year. Conner and Kevin were limited, but they were very mature and so could bring what little they brought effectively and dependably by the last third of the season. Next year's newbies are still going to be trying to figure out how to stay on the floor and protect by season's end.

The first five almost certainly will not be better than last year's first five at the beginning, middle, or end of the season, unless I am vastly underestimating Perry Ellis--unless I am wrong to doubt that he can come in and replace Thomas Robinson without losing any rebounding, defense and scoring.

Thomas Robinson is just a very hard guy to replace--march harder to replace than Marcus Morris, or Kief Morris, and they were hard to replace. Thomas was so good he could rebound for two bigs. He was so strong offensively he could get you 18 points against double teams and 15 against triple teams. The only two players I have ever seen be able to do that combination of scoring against double and triple teams, plus grabbing 15 reebs for an extended period at KU were Chamberlain and Manning. Maybe Marcus, or Kieff could have if they had had to, but the fact is they never had to. I really doubt Nick Collison could have either and he didn't have to. I suspect Drew Gooden had the body to do it, but he never seemed to have the mind for it all, and he didn't have to. So replacing Thomas is a tall order. Not impossible, but very tall and very broad shouldered, if you know what I mean. :-)

Part 4

And replacing Tyshawn's combination of get to the rim and also 38% trey shooting from the point on a lot of shots is nothing to sneeze at either. As I said, EJ's trey shooting proved to be weak even taking open looks on spot ups, so it seems hardly fair to expect him to suddenly spike from 33% to 38%, while also having to run the team full time.

I said a few years ago, when we began crapping out on a lot of high end recruits, because of what appeared to me to be a spike in check book recruiting, coincident with Scalpinggate and Realignmentgate image-staining, that Self's toughest year was not going to be last season, but this coming season, from a rebuilding/reloading stand point.

Last season kind of took everyone's eye (including mine) off the structural problem of this season, because so much anomalous misfortune struck the beginning of last season. There was a circle-the-wagons reflex that kicked in with the team and with the fans. Everything reduced to avoiding disaster last season. It was a magnificent avoidance of the rebuilding bullet. But, again, it obscured that this coming season was the structural problem in terms of rebuilding.

Why? Two words: young bigs.

Last season we had to relie on unproven, but at least mature bigs, and one of them a footer at that.

This season we have to work with young bigs, none of whom seems of the stud caliber capable of playing bang ball plus being a 15/10 man out of the box.

There are more bodies to work with this coming season for sure and perhaps more total talent as a result, but last season had the better "effective" talent, thin as it was.

The question marks going into this season seem greater in number and spread more evenly across offense, defense and rebounding than last season, where the defense and rebounding seemed solid, the scoring out of the first five seemed feasible, and the big question was can Withey play 10, 20, 30, or 40 minutes, and can we avoid injuries.

This coming season will see more starters back, and so on the surface that is much better than last season.

But the starters returning, except perhaps for Travis, do not seem the kind of guys that can necessarily ramp their total games as much as whom they are replacing, and the incoming players we must depend on seem pretty young and error prone to me.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

But all of my handwringing would stop, if Jeff Withey were able to come in next year at 250 pounds of cut muscle able to carry guys up with him, when he has to finish, and able to keep hold of the rebounds that come his way; that kind of a center becomes one that you can much more easily shore up the gaps around with the particular kinds of players that we will have around him next season.

But I just don't see that happening. Jeff is a fine, fine player. But a muscle-it-up bang baller I do not foresee.

Perhaps this is why Manning and Self kept hinting at the sky hook. But in the end I never saw Jeff shoot any hook that I would characterize as a sky hook. And so I conclude he doesn't have one. And in the XTReme game today, I don't know how anyone could make a sky hook consistently with all the banging during shots that is allowed.

But if it were to happen and Jeff were to be able to become a dominant, 250 pound rebounder and take-it-up-and-finish offender, then we might be a Final Four type team by March, yet again. That kind of player, can carry a lot of green wood on his back, just as Thomas carried a lot on his back this season.

But don't kid yourselves, Thomas Robinson carried a lot of green wood on his back this season. A lot!

So: Bill gets to worry less about one injury causing a .500 season, but a lot more about depending on lots of bigs that either aren't that long, or aren't that strong, and in many cases playing their first year of D1 ball. Relying on too short, too weak, or too green bigs in the age of Bang Ball is a recipe for more hair loss than last season, and last season thinned old Bill out a good bit.

P.S.: I have not mentioned Naadir, whom I think will progress and be a decent player next season, but even if he blossoms by next season, I do not see his blossoming sharply altering what I sees as the points/strength/size deficit in the paint, and the problem of our other perimeter defenders like EJ and BenMac having trouble with XTReme Moving Picks both offensively and defensively come tourney time.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

First of all, it's not next season that's the problem, it's the season after that where our only senior that might play at all is Wesley, we have 1 junior in Tharpe and bundle of sophomores and freshmen Next season we're going in as a favorite to reach the FF because we are bringing back FF experience to go with 4 seniors that can play and a bounty of talented underclassmen. Obviously you can't replace TRob, can not do it, he's the POY in my book. If you expect anybody else to be that you're either crazy or greedy. So yes you have to tweak the style of play because of that. TT was of course a stud this past year too, making a plethora of difficult shots and forcing opposing defenses into tough spots. So what has to happen on offense? You have to get more production off the bench to start with. We didn't get much scoring off the bench this past season, even with Conner and KYo having the occasional good game. Obviously Tharpe should be improved off the bench and you just have more weapons that are going to be eligible to play sitting over there. If KYo starts you have Ellis coming off the bench and vice versa. What else? Have to re-establish the Bill Self Hi-Lo post game, didn't get put to much use this year as TRob was usually on the block and as good a FT shooter as Withey is he can't spot up from there during play apparently. Maybe his shot there will improve, maybe it'll be because it's usually someone like Ellis/KYo/whoever playing the other post spot with Withey on the block and that's why the Hi-Lo works better next year. Consistent outside scoring is big, EJ may shoot better next year, he took an awful lot of shots from deep-deep this season that weren't all that open, but with White and BMac, Adams and Tharpe with hopefully an improved TRel and we might have a solid outside attack. Travis Releford hasn't come close to reaching his offensive potential. Also have to consider, this might turn out to be a really good offensive rebounding team with some of the length and quickness that can be put on the floor. Most importantly we have to get good looks on most possessions. So many times this past year when KU had a chance to build a lead with the stops they were getting, they would burn through a series of possessions without getting a good look.

Now defensively it's going to be tough to match what the team did last year. TRob didn't block a lot of shots but as you said he was defensive rebounding machine, TT really got after it, tough to fill those shoes. I have faith that the 3 to be seniors that started this year will keep everyone fired up to defend though. Withey would have rebounded better last year but got out of TRob's way a lot, TRel and EJ both rebounded well in the tourney.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

Fortunately I don't think the CBB landscape will be quite as good in general next year. With the exceptions of IU and UofL how many elite teams do you think will be better than they were this past year? Maybe Baylor and Michigan, obviously a few like UCLA/Zona are back on the landscape, but UK, MSU, UNC, Cuse, MU are all taking big hits and those are just the guys ranked ahead of KU going into the tourney. NBA lockout made this past season a little stronger than it otherwise would have been.

phogphan2000,

First, you ought to know not to expect me of all persons to pay much attention to pre season picks after last season, right? UK they identified. KU? Not. Hell, that's a random walk right there.

Second, what you say feels good and so I hope it comes true. But I also get warm and fuzzy thinking about Angelina giving up Brad for me, but it ain't gonna happen.

So: here is the way to bring this thing into some kind of reality.

Substitute EJ, Marcus Morris, Kieff Morris, Thomas Robinson, and Darrell Arthur as freshmen for Ben Mac, Jamari Traylor, Perry Ellis, Zack Peters, and Landon Lucas coming in this season.

Remember how truly mediocre, or out right incompetent EJ, Marcus, Kieff, Thomas and Darrell were their freshmen seasons.

Tell me how good of a team would you expect KU to have this coming season with those great players playing as they did as freshmen?

That's what you're looking at from all of this year's incoming class.

Period.

Next.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

jb, as weak as we might become at the point, if EJ should get hurt, the missing piece for next season is an impact big who can fill 70% of T-Rob's shoes. Self probably needs a European connection!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Yup. We've been in agreement on this for some time.

I was only screaming point guard today, because I don't see such an impact big on the radar screen this signing period, unless Self is hiding him somewhere in Senegal. :-)

MeanderingHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree jaybate.....but HCBS showed what he could do playing to the strength of TROB and the play making ability of Taylor in a rebuilding year.

This coming year there is a lot of green but the talent should allow for more of spread in terms of focus and flexibility in matching up to other teams. Elijah was stepping up in the tournament, Travis is solid and both will be better when they step on the court next year. Not that I'm not a little on edge about the new players hitting the court next, but I still feel good about what is coming and HCBS ability to play to their strengths.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Travis seems to me the possible wild card in the hole Self holds.

Travis has the kind of explosiveness that could at his level of maturity really become an offensive force. At point, or 2, Travis would be an every game MUA.

But if BenMac plays that means Travis is stuck at the 3 again and that means he is stuck having to guard the likes of Kidd-Gilchrist again. And that means he will get his lunch eaten again sooner or later in the Madness, not because Travis is not a great player, but rather because he is a great player playing out of position.

Combo guards at the 3 are just an appointment for a Madness loss to a team with a Brandon Rush, or a Kidd-Gilchrist, or a Carmelo Anthony.

The more violent the game becomes, the bigger and stronger you have to be at the 3.

RecruitHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

KU needs to go hard for Mr. Parker, however I see him UCLA bound (SMH).If we don't get him then skip Josiah and anyone else to save the scholly for next year. We already have Greene (13 rank) and Frankamp (65) but I see the best class in years coming up. Al Freeman (14) is heavily leaning towards being a Jayhawk with Greene helping on the recruiting pitch. Chris Walker (7) has KU in a "top 4" with FSU,FU, and UK. He was quoted saying KU was the leader in December but no real update. KU is also in mix for Jabari Parker (1) and Julius Randle (2) to name a few... I see Freeman as a potential lock and don't be surprised if Walker joins him. The other are a bit of a stretch but still doable.

245Trioxin 2 years, 8 months ago

Between KU's Andrea Hudy's strength conditioning and Bill Self's boot camp... come next season you'll be a Rockstar!

Hope to see you in the Phog playing with KU Nation at your back. The feeling, the energy, the power, the love... is indescribable (and that's just from the crowd).