Saturday, April 14, 2012

Notre Dame linebacker to transfer to KU

The multi-week speculation surrounding whether Notre Dame linebacker Anthony McDonald would transfer to Kansas University turned official Friday.

McDonald, a 6-foot-2, 230-pound middle linebacker becomes the latest graduate to pledge his services to the Jayhawks, joining former Notre Dame teammates Dayne Crist and Mike Ragone and former Nebraska defensive lineman Josh Williams.

On signing day, back in February, KU coach Charlie Weis said he expected more fifth-year transfers to join his team. He also discussed why he was so keen on adding them.

“I’m going to be open to that every year and I’m going to tell you why,” Weis said. “For every one of these fifth-years I bring in, they’re also going out. So they don’t cost me a potential recruit because you have a guy who has some experience coming to play without affecting your numbers in recruiting at all.”

McDonald, who was a high school teammate of Crist’s in California, will graduate from Notre Dame in May and will join Weis’ new program in June.

During his four years at Notre Dame, McDonald played in 28 games, including all 12 games in 2009 and 11 more during 2010.

The addition of McDonald brings the total number of commitments in KU’s most recent recruiting class to 25. The Jayhawks have added five Div. I transfers, nine junior college transfers and 11 prep players.

McDonald is the third linebacker in the class, joining Schyler Miles, of Berkley Prep in Tampa, Fla., and Courtney Arnick, of Carter High in Dallas.

Comments

OtisCriblecoblis 2 years ago

McDonald, Ragone and Crist will flourish under the guy who recruited them - Charlie Weis. Take it from a Golden Domer.

I'll be rooting for you guys.

Scut Farkus 2 years ago

I think a lot of you are going to be surprised at how well Christ plays. I saw him twice in 2010 before he tore his patella tendon. A quick release, high accuracy, fair arm strength and amazing poise. I see no downside to having these 1 year transfers.

Mike Kendall 2 years ago

6-2, 230 lbs. Great size for a linebacker. If I was an opposing running back or wide receiver, I would be very wary of where this guy is on the field, if Old McDonald can hit!

ejlumus 2 years ago

Charlie's "one and dones". Mature, fifth year, transfers from big time winning programs, graduated, and will fill gaps on two deep depth chart. It is a can't lose situation.

There is a video i watched, briefly shows #9 playing catch with #10, if anyone disputes the arm strenths of the transfer QBs they do not know anything about football. The ball explodes when released.

Looking forward to great things for the program.

Gruden will be interviewing Crist next year at this time.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I'm confused...is term oil the ability for a President to try to manipulate oil during their first term in order to get re-elected for a second term?

I'm still not sure if I understand how that associates with football.

JJHAWK 2 years ago

I do believe that coach Weis's graduate recruiting goals are our version of Nebraska's redshirt program - only we don't have to wait as long and ( I almost hate myself for the next - but not really) we don't have to use as much "term oil" (@copyrighted ?) on ours!

And I'd like to finish this terrific clump of artifice with 'malice toward none' - if I could spell it. LOL

rockchalknation 2 years ago

A little late on the follow up comment here but ND69 nailed it. Crist, Ragone, and McDonald are studs; All three have great physicality, can immediately play at a high level, and should all provide leadership. They have played on a big stage since their high school careers. Having Heeps in this year to red-shirt and learn the system from both Crist and Coach Weis is huge. Willams should help immediatley on the D-Line. Not sure how much more room we have to add players in this class but if we can fill one or two more holes with 5th year guys then we should be much improved this year and it allows us to red-shirt young guys who are not quite ready to play helping us to build for the future. Fall camp starts in roughly 3 1/2 months; lots of work to do to be ready for that, but love the improvement and change in attitude alredy.

RCJH!

BPSkelly 2 years ago

Im with much of the peanut gallery here in the fact that we'd all love to bring in these 4/5 star guys outta high school, but thats just not going to happen. Lets be realistic about this folks.

Quite frankly ANY transfers to KU strikes me as a plus, assuming the reason for them transferring from their original school to KU doesnt have to do with crime and punishment. Experienced players, starters, backups, or backups to backups will almost always have a head start on in coming freshman regardless of skill level. And if its these one year guys -- maybe we're redefining "One and done" here -- it wont blow holes in your numbers for the following season recruiting-wise.

Beyond all this we're talking about KU football in April. Something is happening here!!!

LAJayhawk 2 years ago

Weis is absolutely right: as long as you have a roster spot after signing day, you never turn down a graduate transfer. They have 4 years of D-1 experience, in the cases of the ones we've accepted, they have a ridiculous amount of athletic ability, and they can only play for a year, so it has zero effect on recruiting. It makes absolutely perfect sense for a program like Kansas that at it's current position isn't going to win recruiting battles for 5-star HS kids. It's a perfect stepping stone to build up to that level.

As I said above, best case scenario, these transfers have an immediate and huge impact for us. Worst case scenario, they never play and it's the same as if they never transferred. Taking these guys is a can't-lose no-brainer.

mjhawkchalk 2 years ago

It's so funny how people keep blaming Turner Gill for all of our term oil. People still don't realize that he played Mangino's recruits because he only got about two years of recruiting in. Even the best coaches out there weren't going to have success with the talent we had the last two years. Once we start winning games, Weis will get all of the credit (which he should get a majority of it) and people will ignore the fact that a lot of the players out there were TG's. I'm sure my comment will get deleted for saying this, but stop blaming the black man and start blaming the fat man!

rockymtnjhawk 2 years ago

I think it goes to show how bad we were/are at certain positions. The transfers are QB, Dline and LB. In my opinion this is where we were badly lacking talent, and Weiss seems to agree. He wants help that can step in immediately.

These guys are from major programs and, as pointed out, have the intelligence to come in, learn quickly and improve the team. Had they been starting or projected to start, they probably wouldn't be leaving .

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I saw a stat at one point in time that Belichek from New England had the highest percentage of college graduates on his team (I think it was in the 90%, whereas the avg in the NFL was around 45-50%). I didn't relook the numbers but i remember being astounded about this number. This is when Charlie Weis was there and they were winning Championships.

I know skill comes into play, but I wonder if Charlie Weis learned something about the smarts of NFL players when he was in the NFL?

I love the bringing in college graduates, I love making kids go to class, I love getting the kids to represent the University without Fs on their report cards.

Not too mention I do think he is making adjustments in the short term and developing a plan longterm.

I like it a lot.

bville_hawk 2 years ago

Nice article on jayhawkslant.com by Jon Kirby about the new strength and conditioning coach.

Jayhawk2016 2 years ago

Six transfers right? Crist, Heaps, McCay, Ragone, McDonald and Williams from Nebraska?

number1jayhawker 2 years ago

Most of the transfers are for backups. You need depth at all positions and the past few years, even under Mangino, we have not had it at several positions.

okiedave 2 years ago

Just in case any football staff reads these blogs, Tulsa East Central cornerback, Stanvon Taylor, 5' 11", 165 lb., 4 star U. of Arkansas commitment, is reconsidering his commitment to Arkansas due to Coach Petrino's indiscretions with one of his staff and resulted in his firing. He says he is keeping his options open to anyone and simply trying to decide where he wants to go. HCCW may want to check it out.

rodriguez33 2 years ago

It will be pretty interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. I don't remember the last time there was this much buzz surrounding the football team, especially this time of year. It almost feels like a slap in the face what Coach Weis is doing bringing in all these former 'this/that' but the truth of the matter is that we were 2-10 last year so obviously things weren't getting done the right way.

The only thing I know is that Coach Weis knows the game, has developed players at various levels, and obviously sees something in these guys he's bringing in so, just like the team, we have to buy into the system. Crist maybe didn't live up to the hype at Notre Dame but he also had to battle an ACL tear, and Coach Weis's departure. That being said, he hasn't really had a chance to prove himself. Hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity for both himself and football team!

All this buzz has everybody excited for football again, the players included, and hopefully that leads to on-field success. If nothing else, Coach Weis has at least given us hope again. At 2-10 there's really only one way to go. Whether that be from the coaches, players, or whatever I don't really care. I'm just glad I get to be a part of it. Rock Chalk!!

IrishCharlie 2 years ago

What a joke, talk about one and DONE.

How about some real reporting and mentioning ACTUAL PLAYING TIME?

Mike Barnhart 2 years ago

Former!... Used to start!... At one time!... Played in a few games!...

I hope Charlie doesn't really think adding backups from Notre Dame is how you build a Big 12 roster? If so, he's in for a rude awakening come October!

Actually, judging from his comments, I think spring practice has opened his eyes to the LACK of disparity between the new 5th year transfers and the returning Kansas roster! I'll be a lot happier when our 4 star recruits come from high schools!

Jason Keller 2 years ago

At 230 lbs., I believe this Mcdonald is super-sized!

JJHAWK 2 years ago

And after a big hit I can see it now - "Would you like that doublesized?"

Brad Morford 2 years ago

A linebacker named McDonald? That is quite a nugget of information!!

jhawkln 2 years ago

Hopefully McDonald hits the opponents so hard that they see golden arches!

Edward Daub 2 years ago

I trust that McDonald will grind the opposition to hamburger. Sounds like another solid addition!

KanFan27 2 years ago

Former rivals 250 and four star prospect. I'll take it! He didn't quite live up to his hype, but is no slouch either. He has never started a game for ND, but they have some top notch LB's.

Its a fresh start for a great player.