Saturday, April 14, 2012

Court, classroom still home to ex-KU guard Billy Thomas

Former Kansas player Billy Thomas accepts the applause of the Allen Fieldhouse crowd as he is recognized during a break in Thursday night's game against Detroit.

Former Kansas University shooting guard Billy Thomas, who played for three NBA teams in a 12-year professional basketball career, sought out upcoming NBA lottery pick Thomas Robinson on Thursday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“The first thing I did is congratulate him on a great season, great career and told him that team (2011-12 Jayhawks) made everybody who played at KU before them extremely proud,” said the 36-year-old Thomas, who just completed his second year as head coach at The Barstow School in Kansas City, Mo.

He’s been helping out at Bill Self’s fantasy camp for 35- to 60-year-olds, which runs through Sunday.

“I’m extremely proud of the way they fought,” added the 6-foot-5 Thomas, who swished a pair of threes during Thursday’s camp-opening scrimmage. “The statement they made as a team as far as being tough and grinding it out and finding ways to win ... where, as a younger team in the same season, they lost those games early on.”

Led by consensus All-American Robinson, the Jayhawks rolled to a 32-7 record, good enough for an eighth-straight Big 12 title and runner-up finish to Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament.

“He is extremely imposing physically,” Thomas said of the 6-10, 240-pound Robinson. “He is very skilled. He should be a top-three, -four pick. Ultimately I think he can be a guy that has a nice career in the NBA — whether it’s as a perennial starter, that’s to be determined,” Thomas added. “With his work ethic and willingness to become better, I definitely think he can be a starter.”

Thomas appears to be in the early stages of what figures to be a long career in coaching. His first two Barstow teams have blazed to records of 18-7 and 19-6.

“It’s been great. The kids have been hungry to learn basketball,” Thomas said, praising his predecessor, former KU guard Jeff Boschee, whose three Barstow teams went 64-14. “For both of us, they played extremely hard and tried to do what we try to get them to do. Next year, those kids will know my way of thinking. It won’t be a situation where I have to sell some seniors and juniors on what I believe in. They know what to expect.”

Like Boschee, who is an assistant coach at Missouri Southern, Thomas has goals of someday coaching college ball.

He’s taken a big step in that regard by completing work toward his degree in African American Studies.

Thomas will graduate in May, which will make his family members in Shreveport, La., mighty proud.

“I knew I would do it for all the people involved in my life (he and wife Raquel have a son, Zion, 3, and daughter Leyland, 1) and for myself,” Thomas said. “To have scrapped and clawed to reach my goals athletically, but never lose sight of getting my degree ... it means a lot to the people pushing me toward that. It means more to me because nobody else in my family has a college degree. Coming from my neighborhood and to be able to be a college graduate of a school this prestigious ... I’ve been fortunate to accomplish this with the help of a lot of people including Wayne Walden, Paul Buskirk, Scott Ward (academic advisors at KU; Walden is now at North Carolina). Those type of people — great people — continue to help me chase this thing down.”

Ward, KU’s associate athletic director/academic and career counseling, said Thomas provides a great example for former athletes who seek their college degree while also pursuing pro careers.

“With Billy, it’s his consistent effort over the years to finish a class here and there and continually working on it while he was still playing and believing someday — whether he’s 35 or 25 years old — that he’ll get his degree,” Ward said. “I think Billy would tell you it’s a lot easier to finish your degree while you are here the first time. Ask anybody. For an athlete or non-athlete to come back in their 30s and finish ... it’s a challenge. It’s one Billy was up to. This is coach’s (Bill Self) philosophy across the board ... that guys who leave or leave early (for pros) can finish their schoolwork, and we do the best we can to assist them.”

Thomas said he won’t walk down Campanile Hill in May. He prefers to be recognized next December or even in May of 2013.

“My family wants me to go through the whole shebang,” he said with a laugh, “but because I complete my work in May, I will wait until maybe December to walk for the finality of it, make sure the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed, make sure everything is squared away. It will be a big day,” he added.

Recruiting: Tony Parker, a 6-9 center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., told the Charlotte Observer he will choose a school during a ceremony Thursday at his high school. He has a final list of KU, Duke, Georgia, UCLA, Ohio State, Georgetown and Memphis. He plans on cutting his list to five, then announcing his choice by donning a hat of the winning school.

“Hopefully, I chop (the list) down because I have to pay 30 dollars a hat,” Parker told the paper. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, meanwhile, reports that the country’s No. 27-ranked player is considering making return trips to several of his finalists before rendering his decision.

“I just think he’s trying to get to a clear place in his mind where he wants to go,” Miller Grove coach Sharman White told the Journal-Constitution. “It’s a really tough position to be in, and I don’t envy him one bit. All things considered, he’s handling it very well and trying to figure out what’s best for him.”

Comments

prusso25 6 years, 11 months ago

Hat ceremony for Parker... AKA we won't get him. I feel like we always lose recruits when they try to pick schools in a dramatic way.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Wonder how much, if anything, Noel had to pay to get his backside (I mean, back of his head) shaved to read UK. Imagine walking down the street and finding that staring at you from the individual walking in front of you? Much as I hate Kenstinky, I would hope some weirdo who hates UK doesn't attempt to use it as a target. Oh, well. I guess it's not much different than wearing a college logo t-shirt.

rodriguez33 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure Coach Cal either paid for the "haircut" or gave it to him himself.

kerbyd 6 years, 11 months ago

I was wondering if Noel ever took the guy up on his offer of a night with his wife if he came to Kensucky.

hawksince51 6 years, 11 months ago

Agree. It drives me nuts that the media covers these BS ceremonies. I was hoping that when the guy pulled off the bogus ceremony several years ago they would stop covering such nonsense. No such luck.

RISEABOVEHATE56 6 years, 11 months ago

Reports say that Tony Parker already picked where he is going to play collage basketball at and its not at Kansas. Reports say that he is headed to Duke.

ironhead80 6 years, 11 months ago

Parker looks like he is a lazy big baby player. I don't think he would like to compete for playing time against other KU bigs. He will go to ucla and the hat thing is so old. I would not take him we just got rid of a batch of players who were big baby players.

KUAlum2000 6 years, 11 months ago

I think it was Baron Davis back in the day that pissed me off the most when he did the hat thing. Since then, I think every one of these guys that does it that way can go ahead and pick the other schools.

prusso25 6 years, 11 months ago

Big time. Terrance jones didn't just do the hat pick.. He did the "fake grab" what an obnoxious way to pick! I love the humble way Ellis picked. We get the class acts.

Kman_blue 6 years, 11 months ago

On Dec. 1, 1984 and Dec. 28, 2006, so it must of been during the 2006 home game against Detroit, assuming the caption isn't just completely mistaken.

oznanku 6 years, 11 months ago

The word 'excepts' jumped out right away. How can LJW miss it?

Michael Sillman 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't see where we have room for Parker anyway. We are one scholarship over the limit already.

I guess that Wesley's can be taken back and Adams may not qualify. The thing is that we are badly in need of a ball handling guard, not another big man.

jhox 6 years, 11 months ago

In theory, we definitely need a guard more. In reality, when a guy like Parker decides he wants to go to your school, you figure out a way to make it happen. You don't turn down a Tony Parker in exchange for a juco point guard.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

+1 In this case, need doesn't translate into a great solution for Coach Self and KU. At this point in the 2012 recruiting season, there just aren't any top PG's left from which to pick. However, if Adams qualifies, and if he exhibits enough PG skills (couple big 'ifs), Anrio could work his way into the rotation. With the way so many on this board have complained and protested when Self signed on lower ranked recruits, I'd think signing another so-called "subpar recruit" would only bring back the "fire Self" and "lynch Coach Self" protestors, even after the past season's results.

Alex Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

We already have all of our scholarships locked up and that's with Wesley losing his and going back to a walk-on. Bringing Parker on would mean "highly encouraging" a scholarship player to transfer somewhere else. I trust Self though and if we get Parker then I think he will work it out.

I don't think we are getting Parker though. He would have to work too hard to get playing time (in his mind).

Jack Wilson 6 years, 11 months ago

jhox and Aloha are right. We clearly have room for Parker and you don't pass on that if you can get him. As it stands, Wesley has to now return to walk on status if Adams comes. That means someone would have to transfer .. Merv Lindsay. Happens all the time.

We do need Parker. We have Withey, who will be gone in one season. Ellis, who may be a bit more of a three. Then three low or unranked guys in Traylor, Lucas and Peters .. each of whom may be fine in time, but it is unrealistic to think that they may be a big impact their first season, or even potentially their second seasons.

Parker is clearly viewed as more skilled and simply a better player by literally everyone. Reports in game action vs. top guys makes it appear that he is the real deal. Whether you like rankings or not, they're a good indicator of guys who may be able to contribute early and be effective. Parker is more likely to be able to contribute this coming season than the other 3 above. Like jhox said, you make it happen.

I would much rather see that, than reach for useless guard (Tyrone Appleton, for example). But we are thin there .. EJ, McLemore, Tharpe. If Adams comes, then we're fine assuming he would qualify.

manunitedjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Quality analysis, I agree. What is the word on Nino Jackson? Is he not going to qualify? We were always high on his list.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks .. I understand qualifying is still a big question for Nino. There was an ESPN insider article where multiple analysts projected where the remaining unsigned prospects would go. Out of the 7, 3 pegged Nino for Juco. 2 for MU. At least one for Oklahoma St. None said KU.

Interesting to see if we pursue Josiah Turner .. would not be eligible next season as a transfer. Issue would be why he transferred from Arizona, and if he would be better than the point guards we are pursuing for 2013-14.

RJ King 6 years, 11 months ago

"continue to help me chase this thing down."

The use of the word "chase" perfectly fits Billy's aggressive and relentless perseverance and patience in pursuit of a goal.

Hat-obsessed recruits can have their indulgent ceremonies. MY hat is off to Mr. Billy Thomas, KU grad.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of "hat-obsessed", one could say, your avatar speaks for itself! :>)

And agree. Nice to have had Billy Thomas represent the Jayhawks by playing pro-ball, in the NBA and elsewhere. He has been a great ambassador for KU over the years. Great to hear he values getting his degree. Congrats, Billy.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

BTW, Eamonn Brennan has an article on the NCAA BB page of ESPN.com , in the "Under College Basketball Blog Network". It's entitled, "Don't play Rock Chalk in Missouri schools" He describes the outrage exhibited by some of the Missouri politicians, and others, when they heard a principal played KU's fight song music over the school's PA system. This was when KU was preparing to play UK in the tourney. Seems they were about ready to send the principal packing.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if they can play the Star Bangled Banner, or do they have to play Dixie before their games?

kc_wildfire 6 years, 11 months ago

Alohahawk...

The situation you are referring to happened in my hometown, and also the hometown of two former Jayhawks, Patrick Richey and Jeff Graves, Lee's Summit, MO.

Here are a couple of links if you want to read about it...

The original story is titled, "LS school shouldn't play KU fight song"

Reading on you can see four letters from residents (some former MU alums) defending the principal and the school, as well as a reply from Mr. Yates (the former state rep).

Those letters are titled...

Lighten Up March Madness has an extended run in Lee's Summit Schools Taking the rivalry too far! Disappointed in former state representative

There is also an editorial from someone on the newspaper staff as well. Here is the link to his views...

Mr. Yates also got blasted on Facebook.

Alohahawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Mahalo for the links, kc_wildfire. Always good to read other's thoughts about something controversial. I suppose some in Kansas might get uptight if a Missouri fight song (Do they even have one?) were played in a Kansas school.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 11 months ago

This was discussed yesterday in another thread. What I found interesting is former state representative Yates saying:

"I hope everyone can take a breath, and realize parents in Kansas would have also objected if the Missouri fight song would have been played by Kansas schools after the Tigers won the Big 12 basketball tournament."

First, it was not the Big 12 Tournament, it was the Final Four. Only an ignorant MU fan would compare the two; nothing new there.

Second, the chances of MU making it to the Final Four are, well...slim to none; so it seems like the parents of Kansas school kids will not have to worry about this issue any time soon.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

Posted this once before, and it was so insightful, thought that I'd repeat it.....

Do Tony Parker and the words Drama Queen sound alike? The sentiments that it is "so difficult" and "I wouldn't want to be in his place" are a bit of a stretch, aren't they Revisit his schools? This guy acts like he's the next coming....

My guess, he picks a school and runs crying home to mama at the semester break.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 11 months ago

Seems to me you are being a little rough on a kid who just wants to be sure he makes the right decision. Once made, he's stuck with it. Evidentally most of the schools are in a virtual tie, and he wants a last minute look since his visits were probably all a while back. If more kids were this cautious, maybe we'd have fewer of these transfers that have been happening lately. I could do without the hats myself, and wish I could get my hands on the first guy to start that, but kids seem to think it's a sign of success or something.

baldwinbulldawg 6 years, 11 months ago

all this stuff about the hats "who cares" if any of you guys were as good as parker is you would enjoy all this attention also. Doubt we get him any way with Manning leaving

VaJay 6 years, 11 months ago

Gotta disagree. It shows a lack of maturity in the kid & no class towards the other 4 schools. I don't recall us ever "winning" one of those hat ceremonies & I think it's because our coaches tend to attract the less narcissistic types.

On a secondary note - Kudos to Billy Thomas!! I loved watching him drain 3's & glad he's continuing his success!

Ethan Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

a 17 year old kid that isn't mature? I'm sure you were the most mature kid when you were 17. My God let the kid have some fun.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

If you want to call it fun, I guess that it's one way to describe it. Don't compare a pampered AAU all-star to a normal 17-year old kid. These kids are way more advanced than you give them credit for.

The hat ceremony was at least interesting a few years ago, the first few times we all saw it. Now? It's pretty stale.

Perhaps we could start up a collection to help him pay for his hats?

Ethan Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

17 year olds are 17 year olds. Just because you play AAU doesn't mean that they are advanced. Kids like attention, they want to play the hat game because they think it would be fun. Why criticize a high schooler?

VaJay 6 years, 11 months ago

There's thousands of kids that do it the right way & there's a handful that don't. It's simply a label I'm putting on that group.

Ethan Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

There are thousands of kids who don't have the attention of thousands.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

Or who try and draw the attention of thousands.

John Randall 6 years, 11 months ago

Too bad these pampered narcissists are more interested in the 'fun' of a shell game with hats than they are in being in good enough shape to run the floor more than five minutes per game.

They still have time to grow up, and some of them will. I agree with the idea that KU coaches probably favor recruits with a head start on maturity and that preference comes through to the kids even when it's not spoken about. Probably saves the aggravation of transfers needing help to get out the door when that time comes.

Robert Brock 6 years, 11 months ago

Parker will go to UCLA where they likes 'em big and giggly. Parker and Smith will probably enter the Nathan's Famous contest as a tag-team.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 11 months ago

Was Thomas our best three point shooter ever?
Who's on the list? Top 5 three point shooters..... I like him, Mario, Kirk, Boschee, Reed Lots of people to consider, who else?

exiledhawkfan 6 years, 11 months ago

"Downtown" Terry Brown, Greg Gurley, Ryan Robertson, Rex Walters are a few that come to mind for me.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't put much thought about it, forgot about Downtown. As I recall he was our first great three pointer, or did Thomas come before him?

Kye Clark 6 years, 11 months ago

I think Terry Brown held the KU record for most 3s in school history before Billy came along.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

And his shot looked like a catapult throwing a boulder. But man, it went in with regularity!

Jesse Johnson 6 years, 11 months ago

Not sure how Reed would make this list. I would definitely put Brandon Rush and even Sherron Collins ahead of Reed. Reed didn't shoot a great percentage his senior year when he finally had the opportunity to shoot a higher volume of shots.

davs5032 6 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget about Heinrich..although he's remembered more for his overall offense (rightfully so), IIRC he shot a high % from 3 in his career

Dirk Medema 6 years, 11 months ago

That would be Kirk in the first list, if you are referring to Mr. Hinrich.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 11 months ago

In some ways it doesn't count, but Calvin Thompson & Ron Kellog should be on the list even though they never made even one.

Cameron Cederlind 6 years, 11 months ago

Rush - 44% Hinrich - 43% Chalmers - 42% Morningstar - 41% Boschee - 40% Reed - 40% Lee - 38% Sherron - 37% Miles - 34%

Those are the stats of the best shooters from the last 13-14 years, as streaky as Morningstar was, he's still in the top 4 of our best 3 point shooters over the last decade.

exiledhawkfan 6 years, 11 months ago

I know this possibly won't be a popular comment, but what the heck is a degree in "African American studies"? Seems like political correctness and affirmative action at work in an educational context. I am not in the slightest racist, but seriously, can you imagine a university having a "Caucasian American studies" department? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you do please talk in facts and not emotion as is so often the case in this discussion. All that being said, congrats to Billy Thomas. Great memories of him and his teams playing.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 11 months ago

I think it probably concentrates on all the contributions by black Americans to American history that seem to have been completely ignored over the years in the history taught in our schools. What one is supposed to do with that eduation, I don't know, unless it's a start toward being a teacher.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 11 months ago

Make that "education". Where is the edit function when you need it.

John Randall 6 years, 11 months ago

The "edit function" is hidden within the phrase, "Preview Before Post."

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

I think that it also has something to do with the fact that most blacks in America come from a lineage of slaves, carted over in the bottom of boats from Africa and unloaded in Newport, Rhode Island where they were sold at auction like farm animals. Fortunately, they landed in a democratic society where, for hundreds of years, this was completely legal. In fact, many of our famed "Founding Fathers" owned slaves to manage their plantations.

Following that, blacks were prevented from owning land, voting or - just ask Wilt Chamberlain - from using "white" bathrooms.

It's a pretty interesting history, probably as worthy of a degree program as Women's Studies, American History, Physical Education or, certainly, Philosophy.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 11 months ago

African American Studies is a pud degree that was formed by the ivory tower elites to pander to blacks and further permit an increase in the racial divide, all brought to you by the folks that purport to oppose it. Like many things liberals do, they think they're helping but they're hurting. But it makes them feel good because they supposedly understand .. nodding their heads with apparent concern.

But please tell how any of this, or the continued whining about racism this, and racism that, really helps a black american succeed in life?

I always love the revisiting of slavery. The consistent excuse for failure and everything that doesn't work out. I'm sure that's why black men don't support their children, or the women they impregnate. Why black families have disintegrated. Funny how that has occurred since the 60s and the great civil rights movement. Please give me an answer as to why.

And why does 11% or so of the population (blacks) continue to commit a hugely disproportionate % of violent crimes?

And why do hispanics come to this country, bust their asses, put roofs on house, hang dry wall, wait on corners for work, etc., while their black counterparts won't do the work? And blacks hate them for it.

Funny how I see on the news in succession .. NBC in KC on Friday. A story on Trayvon Martin; then a local story showing about 20 blacks in some auditorium trying to ensure that the Trayvon deal doesn't happen here. Then a story on the renewed curfew for the Plaza and other areas because of the out of control teens .. uh, black teens. They interview some black guy that says "I'm goin' to the Plaza .. what am I goin to do, stay here and get shot??" Video shows the kids from last summer running crazy, some in hoodies. What am I missing here?

Folks fear young black men because the reality is .. not fiction .. they are much more likely to be a criminal than any other race. Self preservation trumps treating everyone "fairly." Tell me the last time a mob of white kids attacked anyone.

The best advice is to pull up the pants, cinch the belt, comb out the dreadlocks, get the tatoos removed, get rid of the gold caps, take responsibility for your actions, stop fighting against society and to become a part of it. Interestingly, those blacks that have done that tend to succeed .. two of whom are great friends of mine. One a doctor, one an engineer. And their kids are amazing.

It's really easy, but the fear of offending stands in the way of real solutions.

Redlandsjhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Actually they do have "Caucasian American Studies." Except they call it a degree in "History,"

texashawk10 6 years, 11 months ago

False, I got a history degree from KU and it was a requirement to take 15 hours of non-Western civilization classes. "American Studies" is much closer to "Caucasian American Studies" than history is.

Clarence Haynes 6 years, 11 months ago

Would like to see Parker come to KU! Nonetless, I wish this young man the best whatever his decision may be, in part because I like the emphasis by his parents on Parker receiving a sound education. Mind you, KU is as good as any in having athletes achieve their academic goals!

Steve Gantz 6 years, 11 months ago

If they're going back to Dean, it's a pretty good list of coaches, most of whom have longevity on their side. The only other younger coach, Donovan has two NC's. The others, I think over time Self surpasses many of them.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 11 months ago

Dean's been gone almost a decade, so hardly "this era".

Also gotta wonder a bit when they credit Cal with FF's at 3 schools. Did he have FF's at UMass and Memphis that weren't vacated.

It's lame without Coach Self.

Richard Benson 6 years, 11 months ago

This is great to hear.

So many of us enjoyed Billy Thomas so much when he set KU's then-three-point-shooting record.

Many of us followed him in the pros. Laboring, and laboring, and laboring to get into the NBA the hardest way: as a shooter.

There are thousands of shooters.

God bless him. I hope (and it sounds like) he feels his determined effort has brought him at least many of the rewards he is due.

I hope he has a great deal of upward mobility in coaching. God knows, that doesn't happen in a hurry, either.

Joe Satterwhite 6 years, 11 months ago

I feel this kid is gonna pull a "Terrence Jones" and pick up a KU hat, put it down and then pick up another hat and commit to them...........................THEN decommit from them and eventually choose Kentucky

rodriguez33 6 years, 11 months ago

Any player who thinks highly enough of himself to have a "hat ceremony" isn't fit for KU's team basketball. Period. We are glad you considered us, Mr. Parker, but no thank you. Those stars/drama queens belong in LA/with Coach Cal. It'd be nice to have his talent but we don't need the other stuff, in my opinion.

Beate Williams 6 years, 11 months ago

To exiledhawkfan, there isn't any need to have a Caucasian American Studies Department when everything that we are taught from elementary school through college has been 99% what Caucasian males have considered to be history. I'm not sure where you might have gone to high school but I would be willing to bet that you received very little in the context of African American contributions to American society and what you may have received would have been minimal when compared to the contributions of Caucasians and that simply is not an accurate protrayal. This isn't only true of contributions by African Americans but holds true for other ethnic groups also, including women. And, simply because it is called African American Studies does not mean that it does not include relevant information about whites who participated in many of the struggles that have led to the progress that has been made in our society; again, there are numerous individuals, other than John Brown, who contributed significantly in the struggle for equality and recognition.

REHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Billy, it is good to see the Jayhawk coaching tree expanding. Congratulations on the degree and your winning record at Barstow. Good comments in regard to this current KU squad and the development and NBA potential of T-Rob. Is always a pleasure to see former players return to support Jayhawk hoops.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 11 months ago

I've been out of the media circles lately....consumed by my real job!

Looks like I've missed...

Noel to UK Shabazz to UCLA Norm Roberts back to Kansas Larry Brown to SMU Parker to Duke (my anticipation anyway) Mizzou racks up another recruit/transfer in Oriakhi

What else?

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 11 months ago

Larry Brown is just interviewing with SMU. He is 72 and I am not sure he is up to the work required to run a BBall program in this day and age.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 11 months ago

Nope, I saw him in New Orleans and he looked fit and full of life. He's said he wants to coach again and it's pretty clear he's going to.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 11 months ago

On one hand, I hate hat ceremonies.

On another hand, I think a kid who works his tail off to become a top recruit deserves some attention.

Personally, I prefer humility, but I can also understand how an 18 year-old might feel about trying to get the same recognition that his peers are getting.

Ethan Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

Are we really getting our panties in a wad because high school kids do the hat thing to choose a school? I mean seriously. What harm does it do? The kids have a hard choose to make, a very stressful choice to make. I know they are gifted and have a shot to make millions but that doesn't mean that they aren't scared to make the wrong choice. Its hats, my goodness. If it really bothers you, wait 5 minutes after he announces to see where he goes.

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

A little tiresome hearing about how "hard" this is for these kids. Take five or ten of the top programs in the country, do a little analysis, eliminate a few, throw all the hats in a basket, close your eyes and pull one out. It would be tough to go wrong with any of them.

Stop the self-congratulatory b.s. and pick a friggin' school already.

Ethan Berger 6 years, 11 months ago

They are kids who are happy. Who cares how they do it. And it actually does matter where you go. Its not like the top schools are the same

april28 6 years, 11 months ago

Stop the self-congratulatory b.s. and pick a friggin' school already.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Parker, you actually do not have to pay one cent for a hat. Hats are not required, just a silly publicity trick your predecessors have done. Keep it simple and classy.

John Randall 6 years, 11 months ago

You call it "cool," I think it's aggravating – it's one more thing that player lacks in his development. Kind of like not yet having a good drop-step or cross-over move.