Friday, April 13, 2012

Living the life: Ex-KU players — some pursuing dreams of their own — help at Self fantasy camp

In back, From left, Kansas coaches Bill Self, Norm Roberts and Joe Dooley watch as players scramble for a loose ball during a scrimmage on the first day of the Bill Self Basketball Experience fantasy camp, Thursday, April 12, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Brady Morningstar would classify his first year in professional basketball as a resounding success.

“It was wonderful. I really enjoyed it,” said Morningstar, a 6-foot-4 former Kansas University guard, who averaged 9.6 points a game for the (23-27) Tulsa 66ers, whose NBA Development League season concluded on Saturday.

“It’s all about improving as a player there, not really winning games is what they were telling us. I improved there, and I’m ready for next year,” added Morningstar, whose squad did not advance to the playoffs.

Morningstar competed in a Bill Self Basketball Experience fantasy camp game as a teammate of Tyshawn Taylor, Conner Teahan and Wayne Simien (as well as campers between 35-60 years old) and opponent of Thomas Robinson, Jordan Juenemann and Billy Thomas on Thursday night in Allen Fieldhouse. Morningstar’s team fell, 56-49.

“Toward the first of the year I played a whole bunch, then we got some guys back from (NBA) training camp. As a rookie unless you are averaging 30 (points) a game, you’ve got to give way to older guys like I did here at Kansas,” said Morningstar, who started 20 of 50 games for the 66ers, good for 27.7 minutes a game.

He hit 42.2 percent of his shots (38.3 percent of his threes) while dishing 106 assists against 69 turnovers. He also had 2.2 boards per outing.

“I don’t know if I’m on track for the NBA. I think I’m on track to keep playing ball the way I like to play ball,” Morningstar said. “I’m not setting my NBA sights too high. I’m giving myself a chance. A lot of guys are trying to do what I do, so I’m not going to say I’m going to make it and nobody else will.

“There were a record number of call-ups this year — 50 they said (from NBADL rosters),” the former Free State High standout added. “Unfortunately I wasn’t one of them. A couple of my teammates were, but that’s why you have next year and the year after that and year after that ... to prove yourself.”

New KU assistant coach Norm Roberts grinned when asked about coaching Morningstar’s losing fantasy camp team on Thursday.

“Wayne had a couple threes that just didn’t go down. Teahan didn’t guard the way he needed to. I’ve got to be honest ... Brady Morningstar was playing that NBA defense — none,” Roberts said with a laugh. “It really hurt us.”

Morningstar said the campers, who paid $4,995 ($2,995 for Williams Fund members) for a weekend of basketball in Lawrence, were certain to have a great time.

“I think it’s great for them to see how spoiled we are for a couple days and see how we do things around Kansas basketball,” Morningstar said.

Of the camp, which continues with a batch of games today and Saturday, Roberts said: “I think it’s great. The only thing we worry about is we don’t need any of the older guys taking charges on Thomas Robinson at halfcourt. You have to be careful with that. I think it’s a great deal. You will have some guys be very, very competitive and other guys just want to have a good time.”

Roberts, who worked on Self’s first KU staff, then went to St. John’s as head coach for six years and took a year off before working as an assistant at Florida this past season, said he’s received a warm welcome back at KU.

“I’ve seen people I’d not seen in a while. Everybody’s been real nice,” said Roberts, on the job since Wednesday.

He’s ready to hit the road recruiting.

“We’ll be out not this weekend but next weekend. We get to evaluate again in April. It’s great they brought the (April evaluation) period back,” Roberts said of the NCAA. “You can get out and see players.”

Tourney in Olathe this year: The Jayhawk Invitational will be held April 27-29 in Olathe, Shawnee and Gardner this year. It had been held in Lawrence the past 11 years.

“Thanks to tremendous support and growth the Jayhawk has experienced over the years, the tournament will move to a new home in the Kansas City South Metro area in order to stay in line with some of the changes coming to grassroots events,” read a statement on the official tourney website. “The Jayhawk will still feature the same top-notch teams, facilities and exposure. In addition to all of the great things teams have come to expect from the Jayhawk Invitational, the new location in suburban Kansas City gives much better access to the facilities, additional lodging, dining, entertainment and shopping opportunities that the city can provide.”

Tulsa talk: Tulsa coach Danny Manning officially named former KU players Brett Ballard and Steve Woodberry and former KU manager Justin Bauman as members of his staff on Thursday. Bauman will be director of basketball operations; Ballard and Woodberry full-time assistant coaches. Ballard was Baker University head coach the past two seasons, Woodberry an assistant at Missouri State and Bauman an assistant at San Francisco.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Almost certain I'm going to try this camp next year...(lookout!)...haha, should be alot of fun. Since AFH isnt a "dome", hopefully I'll hit my 3s...

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 8 months ago

It does look fun but it certainly has a weird vibe about it

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

Moving the JI to KC is a travesty and it will not have near the fan turnout compared to Lawrence.

FELONY 2 years, 8 months ago

"new home in the Kansas City South Metro area in order to stay in line with some of the changes coming to grassroots events"

It will have more of a fan turnout. I can assume also.

Definitely will enjoy more exposure and reach out to more basketball fans, and fans of the teams and players involved.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

The "fans" of the teams are the parents of the kids. The teams come from all over the US.

It is the local fans which make the tourney popular and being in Lawrence is all the more attractive.

I doubt very much there will be more fans in attendance. Why? The event will not be held in one town but now 3 different towns and alot more driving. When it Lawrence they utilized every school possible except campus of KU.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 8 months ago

The venue change is part of the program's effort to distance itself from Roger Morningstar

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Well yeah...who else's opinion could it have been?

Jeremy Shank 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought the NCAA put out a rule a couple years ago saying they couldn't have AAU events on college campuses. Could be wrong though.

Tad Shurtz 2 years, 8 months ago

This is exactly right. That's what the press release means by "the tournament will move to a new home in the Kansas City South Metro area in order to stay in line with some of the changes coming to grassroots events."

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't like the ruling but you got it right.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

It hasn't been held on KU campus for a number of years. That isn't the issue.

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

Thank stinks about the Jayhawk Invitational. The Camp sounds like a blast for those able to attend. I hope Bill makes this an annual deal. It should be a good fund raiser for years to come.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I would want Brett Ballard from Manning's staff. He's going to be a future D1 head coach.

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

Whether he knows it or not, Parker needs to become a Jayhawk. He has Bill Self big man written all over him. He's not a finesse big man, he's a power big man with great hands, and those kind of players thrive in Bill Self's offense. No other offense in college basketball showcases that kind of player like Bill Self's offense.

He's not like a David Padgett, who fancies himself a small forward and wants to play around the 3 point line. Let those guys go to Duke or UCLA, Kansas doesn't need those kind of guys anyway. Unlike some coaches, Self won't lie to a kid and tell him that's the role he's going to play, when he has no intention of the kid playing that kind of role.

Get Parker in the weight room with Hudy, and on the floor for Bill Self, and you'll develop a power player that NBA teams will lust after. He's got the kind of body and skills that will get him a lot of playing time. Potential playing time should not factor into his decision because he will win the minutes.

hawksince51 2 years, 8 months ago

Interesting--thanks. If he does become a Jayhawk I would hope he is not thinking OAD. It does not appear to me he has "unstoppable talent" developed yet and needs a couple of years to really contribute.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 8 months ago

They're all thinking OAD! Parker's at least a 2AD.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Good article, Kellerman. Sounds like a very rational, intelligent recruit, mature beyond his years. I could see this player logging 25 freshman minutes by the time of the NCAA Tournament, dominant force at the 4 position. Just imagine, the work that Andrea Hudy could do on that physique! Power deluxe.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Bleacher Report is usually the last to find out about stuff like this. I agree about the article by Jordan, but that was a while ago. UCLA is the most likely destination for Parker's services.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

BTW, I am not saying Kansas doesn't have a shot, but it looks slim at the moment. With that said, I like the idea of "Having a shot".

I hope it happens, but I would be absolutely shocked if Parker chose Kansas. So........I hope I am Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

He will challenge Josh Smith in eating contests.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

The article is pretty dated. Her main quote was from an ESPN article written before Manning took the Tulsa job. Also, the idea that we couldn't stop Davis is silly. Our problem wasn't his offense, it was his defense. MKG and Doron Lamb are the ones that buried us.

Although I do hope we get Parker!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

"Atmosphere isn't something that would impress me," Hazel said. "This isn't an atmosphere," Parker said. "This place is like a cult or a religion."

RockChalk26 2 years, 8 months ago

That fantasy camp looks awesome. IF I had 5 grrrrr to throw around, I would definitely throw it at Bill.

2 years, 8 months ago

FYI - You can join the Williams Fund for $100 and save 2 grrrrr on the Bill Self Basketball Experience fantasy camp admission :-)

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I bet you have to play defense either way. And I think it's cool that the LJW is not reporting the OAD's--one day and down. I assume the boot camp was fully catered and had a free bar.

Who am I kidding? If I won the PowerBall, I'd be there, and totally unashamed about booting long-term season ticket holders out of their choice seats in AFH. I better go buy a ticket for tomorrow's drawing...

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

(my insurance waiver would weigh about 8 lbs.)

tom123kufan 2 years, 8 months ago

This was a weird article..and an ever weirder picture..

tom123kufan 2 years, 8 months ago

This was a weird article..and an ever weirder picture..

RockChalk26 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah not sure what's going on there. One guy is playing basketball and the other is playing leap frog.

2 years, 8 months ago

Good article on DManning and the challenges of recruiting to a mid-major:

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Steve Woodberry, a name I'd forgotten about, I think I do remember he was a pretty slick guard back in the early 90's. Glad to see he's still around hoops.

John Boyle 2 years, 8 months ago

best sixth man in college basketball for 3 years. Then he became an average starter for one year. I really liked his effort on every possession. Great kid. Don't know much about him since he left KU

Miguel Colón 2 years, 8 months ago

He was an MVP in the Australian league for a few years. Nice guy I played against him in High School.

KULA 2 years, 8 months ago

Why do white guys, especially ones with a relatively full head of hair, shave their heads? Dumbest look ever. Even worse if they're overweight. Dumbest of the dumb--Buzz Williams.

Sorry any of you overweight white guys who shave your heads--it's true.

Jason Keller 2 years, 8 months ago

Why is T-Rob playing with that china doll in the photo above?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

The picture above looks like a scrimmage of the Turnbull AC's, the skinhead street gang from the 1979 cult classic "The Warriors".

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, crazy funny stuff of pics above.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

Make me happy to see coach Manning taking so many jayhawks with him to tulsa.

Joe Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

The dude on the end of the bench opposite of Self is freaky scary too.

LOL- I can't stop laughing.

tom123kufan 2 years, 8 months ago

Guy at the end of the bench is showing his "O" face. LOL

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Funny. I guessed it was memhawk!

It seemed the face of someone who had been in Memphis a little too long. :-)

Mkultra 2 years, 8 months ago

Too bad coaches will not be allowed to attend the Jayhawk Invitational because they switched from Adidas to Under Armour and missed a paperwork deadline with the NCAA by four days.

ravenjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Very sad tourney is shifted toward KC. It was great for Lawrence. I would drive just a little under 3 hrs. to see the games in Lawrence. Will not make the trip to KC area. The entire allure is Lawrence and the KU surroundings. What is wrong with people to drive things away when they have had the best. Also hurst Lawrence economy

KUbsee69 2 years, 8 months ago

another 25 minutes? It's not in "Kansas City" ... it's in Shawnee and Gardner, which are both on the extreme west and/or southwest of greater KC.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Potential captions for top picture;

1] Bill Self thinking. " If these guys can afford $5000 to play ball for a weekend, you'd think they could get a decent toupee like mine." 2] Guess which one on the bench is ahpersewithcoachingexperience? 3] Coach Norm Cook is mad because as a Kansas coach he was disqualified from the "Bald Is Beautiful" contest. 4] Believe it or not, that's Coach Dooley's best smile!! 5] The guy in white is ready to hike the ball...too bad he's playing basketball. 6] Check out the size of the noggin of the guy sitting next to Coach Joe!! 7] The guy at the end of the bench either just bit into a lemon or is getting ready to give someone a big smooch. 8] Coach Bill's actual thoughts...damn, make two dunks and have EJ's three count and that putz stays a loser!!! 9] Other picture..Rick Pitino in disguise to try to garnish some coaching tips from HCBS.....forgot to change his name on jersey, however!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't suggest captions to weird pictures anymore .. they always get censored. last one involved the old ladies and coach Self.

But here we go -- "Coach Self appears amused and his assistants disgusted as two bald campers work to shave the private area of a fellow camper, in a perverted fantasy camp ritual. An unidentified camper on the bench (also bald) seems to be enjoying the spectacle a bit too much."

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

NOw I am still laughing about this, but I can't figure out which is more funny.

The story itself.

The parents emails to the principal.

Or

The logic that MU fans try to use is saying they are a better team cause they won the Big 12 turny and KU didn't. And that KU may have won 5 more games in the NCAA turny than they did, but still left with nothing.

I guess leaving with nothing after a Title game loss, is still better than losing to a 15 seed in what was the "best year ever at missouri".

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

You can't make this stuff up... I have several friends that live in Lee's Summit and they are all KU fans, even the ones that have lived there most of their lives I bet if they took a vote at that school, there would be more KU fans than MU fans. The vote would be even more lopsided since many MU fans would be truant and not available to vote...unless it is "meth appreciation" day, in which case every relative of the MU fans would be at the school that day, partaking of the free samples.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

chuckleberry32............illiteracy, teenage pregnancy, drugs in grade schools, underpaid teachers, crumbling buildings, no technology, dropouts, violence and racism, cutbacks in arts and sciences....and this is what Missouri parents are complaining about...playing the Rock Chalk Fight Song....one time??!!

Armageddon will soon be upon us!!

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh oh oh new caption for the first picture:

Bill Self's Fantasy camp, features a game of the Jeff Boschee look a likes. Unfortunately they did not know abut this contest before the camp, but since there was an overwhelming number of participants with the look the coaching staff took it upon themselves to vote a winner.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

Reading lips....Norm is starting the second word in a two word coaching phrase. The phrase starts with the word, "Dumb". In the photo, his mouth has clearly started forming an "A" to complete the second word which ends in ".ss" as he reacts to a play where one player is chasing the ball down the sideline and a player on defense tries to steal it without success.

Just the "out of context" photo reveals a lot about the level of play in that scrimmage. But, the expression "There by the grace..." should be what most of us "keyboard jocks" are really thinking. But, I guess the 5Grand admission ticket allows one to be photographed while in the act of being charitable while looking just plain silly. They're out there and I'm just here commenting! We've all got our purposes to fulfill.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

I just want it on record that:

a) there is no chance that KU could be competitive with Brady Morningstar playing significant minutes; and

b) there is no chance that Brady Morningstar could play at any level of the NBA.

:-)