Thursday, April 12, 2012

Prep Muhammad taps UCLA

Shabazz Muhammad, the No. 1-ranked basketball player in the Class of 2012, announced plans to attend UCLA on ESPNU’s national signing day special Wednesday.

Muhammad, a 6-foot-6 senior from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High who attended the Kansas-Missouri game as part of an official recruiting visit on Feb. 25, chose UCLA over Kentucky and Duke.

“If I could pick all three, I would,” Muhammad said. “It came down to how comfortable I was with the coach (Ben Howland). It’s what it came down to.”

Of KU being in his final five, Muhammad said: “Kansas ... it’s coach (Bill) Self and how great he is as a coach and teacher of the game.”

Nerlens Noel, a 6-10 senior from Tilton (N.H) School, chose Kentucky over Syracuse and Georgetown. He’s Rivals.com’s No. 2-rated player nationally.

This, that: Andrew White, a 6-6 senior guard/forward from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., will sign his letter-of-intent with KU on Monday at his high school. ... Arizona freshman point guard Josiah Turner has announced plans to transfer. He did not reveal his new list of schools. Turner, 6-3 from Sacramento Calif., averaged 6.8 points a game in a reserve role last season. He chose U of A over Kansas and others in recruiting.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 10 months ago

Blah blah blah coach can't recruit blah blah blah doesn't need to we were in the championship game blah blah Brady morningstar blah blah blah blah blah long winded Jaybate response blah blah blah oakville with a numbered list response blah blah

There, now you don't have to read the rest of the comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for reminding me...

Blah grammar check blah

april28 7 years, 10 months ago

One more.....It's the University of Kansas, not Kansas University

JacquesMerde 7 years, 10 months ago

Don't encourage that idiot. He will keep writing his merde if you do.

jaybate 7 years, 10 months ago

"Blah, blah, blah, my penile augmentation didn't work." --ahperse

:-D

(Note: all fiction sans malice.).

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

1] Hilarious 2] At least I admit I'm a dickwad 3] Ridicule ahpers 4] Morningstar sucked/or not 5] Include first comment above in not to be read 6] Screw Tulane...I want Vassar 7] Starting five Garrett, Lindsey, Wesley, Niko [of course] and Baby Jay

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 10 months ago

by Baby Jay I assume that you mean Evan (Mr. Jayhawk Jr.) Manning

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

Nope...the mascot, but your post is better!!

Ardy Dehdasht 7 years, 10 months ago

freaking hilarious!!! I seriously laughed out loud at work...

FSUJHAWK 7 years, 10 months ago

You guys really know how to cheer a Jayhawk up. I'm cracking up over here in the EST. Thanks!

RCJHGKU!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 10 months ago

Lol @ everyone...except Jaybate! My reebok pump works just fine!

Steve Stucky 7 years, 10 months ago

At the end of every year, I wait to see recruiting results and it's always the same, self seems absent. I don't get it. Why can't kansas university recruit the bigs? Something. Anything. Oh wait, sorry. blah blah blah blah blah. ahpersecoachingexperience, your a funny guy and have too much time on your hands. I'm still laughing at your post.

prusso25 7 years, 10 months ago

Ok that is really funny. I think you covered all bases...

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

Yes Louisville, but who else? Colorado state? What other team wants to be on the big 12?

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

It was a question. I was looking at tv markets not actual schools. But I do like the addition of Louisville for all reasons.

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

I was hoping he'd pick UCLA. The lesser of three evils. I admit I don't know enough (okay, anything) about UCLA's incoming class, but I can't imagine that the Bruins will be as loaded as UK or Duke would have been.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Shabazz-Rivals #1 Kyle Anderson-Rivals #3 Jordan Adams-Rivals #62.

If they get Tony Parker (Rivals #27), which there is a big chance that they will, that is a class that destroys Duke (Not even ranked in the Top 25 for recruiting classes) and certainly competes against Zona and Kentucky for Top Honors!

kj_hawk 7 years, 10 months ago

and they will still have howland for a coach.

Scott Oswalt 7 years, 10 months ago

Don't forget that Howland took UCLA to three consecutive final fours from 2006-2008.

Sam Constance 7 years, 10 months ago

But really, if you read that SI article about the goings-on at UCLA, it sounds like his well-adjusted players, like Kevin Love, Darren Collison, and others actually were more responsible for those outcomes than Howland himself.

From that article, it sounds like he's one of those wardens who prefers to let the inmates run the prison.

brooksmd 7 years, 10 months ago

Yep, SI made it sound like the inmates run the asylum at UCLA.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 10 months ago

ah crap and I just took the under on how long Howland will be their head coach.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Wow! I am impressed with LJW keeping up on the recruiting world (Not Bazz or Noel) with the statement about Josiah Turner transferring from Zona.

I was hoping Noel would pick G-Town, but Bazz picking UCLA was not a shocker. It's been known for a while that UCLA was his leader.

What's interesting is that Josiah Turner all of a sudden is back on the market!? It's crazy that 1.5 years ago it was down Zona and Kansas with Louisville as his third choice. Is this good or bad?

With Bill Self's quote the other day...........

"“We are not close to being done,” Self said, not discussing specific recruits in accordance with NCAA rules. “If we get lucky late or get the right transfer, we’d certainly be open to taking them.”

It makes you wonder if this was the actual transfer that Bill Self was speaking of? There was a rumor that Trevor Releford was thinking about possibly leaving Bama, but that was quickly squashed.

I don't know, Turner certainly has had his struggles, issues, and discipline problems so i don't know if it would be a good idea for Self to go after Turner again if they both mutually showed interest in one another.

If I had the choice of getting Allerik Freeman (Combo SG) or Josiah Turner (Combo PG) I think I would take Freeman hands down simply because he is drama free and he is one heck of a shooter/basketball player. It will be interesting to see how all this unfolds in the upcoming weeks once Turner reveals his new list.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 7 years, 10 months ago

Great post! I thought the same thing when I read that piece. I know HCBS really wanted Turner and recruited him for years...

lothario 7 years, 10 months ago

Turner apparently didn't want to be a reserve at Zona. He would've been the same at KU. He ain't coming here to ride pine.

Same went for Myck Kabongo at Texas. He's a pretty darn good player.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Reserve at Zona? He started 17 games and it was basically his position to lose, which he lost with all of his off the court antics.

jhox 7 years, 10 months ago

Who squashed the Trevor Releford rumor? I can't see 'Bama ever letting him transfer to KU, but the rumor I heard was that there was some sort of family hardship / health issue. I've not been able to find anything about the rumor on line, but heard from a pretty good source the other day that there may be something to it.

TwinCitiesJHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Travis did on twitter: @T_2RELEFOUR "My bro isn't going anywhere so stop makin up ****."

jhox 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. Guess we can put that officially to rest. He would have been a great addition though.

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree between Freeman and Turner. Turner had his chance and KU was all over him and he screwed the pooch on his recruiting.

I read the story about the kid and Utah. He was recruited by several colleges. Utah took a hard look and recruited him, he more or less chose them, and they dropped him. Now he has nothing at all.

This is the first I've heard about Turner. It's interesting and wish him luck. I'm sure Calipari will line-up for him. This means Miller has done something if nothing more than told him to take a hike. Again, we don't need the drama in the program.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

With Turner transfering and MoMo the year before that..............Zona is not in a good place when it comes to PG's for next year.

They did get this kid from Duquesne, McConnell, which is interesting because he looks like an exact clone of when Sean Miller played back in the day.

Without knowing this info, I said yesterday that Miller needed a pass first type point guard in his system.............and Bam, it was delivered! LOL! Here is the article if you are interested:

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

If I were a player and was looking at zona, I'd take a long hard pause. I would think twice. Miller doesn't seem to piece a team together. He had a pretty lousy year and is showing an inability to bring his team together as a cohesive unit. I'm sure he's a good recruiter, after Calipari's own heart, but lacks the ability to bring his talent together.

He's like a woman who can't decide on an outfit. He just throws them out and tries another. If you have the money to spend, you can afford to throw talent around like a used pair of underwear.

Bizzwhizz 7 years, 10 months ago

Freeman is a G. But don't go there with Turner's discipline problems. I think its blatantly obvious what Self can do with players who struggle sometimes to transform them into MEN. Ahem.... Tyshawn, Sherron, Morrisˆ2.... Perhaps that's just what Turner is craving.... some guidance from a man like Bill Self. No disrespect to Sean Miller, but he's no Self... We could be sickening with Turner and Tharpe in a year, throw Frankamp into the mix and that could be the best backcourt trio since RussRob, Rio and Sherron.

Michael Pannacciulli 7 years, 10 months ago

We had goo luck with a realitively recent zona transfer in Mr. Withey. I would take ashot on Turner.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Take Shabazz and Noel both!!! Shabazz seems like bad news and watching Noel's thing on ESPN.com made me barf a little bit. If we ever had a player pull that kind of crap I would be embarrassed to be a Jayhawk.

Bill Self is producing great teams with good recruiting classes. I would rather have players like the Morris Twins, Tyshawn, and T-Rob in the program for 3-4 years then have a bunch of elite one and done guys. I am REALLY pumped about this coming class. Ellis, White, and Adams are all talented guys that will be here long enough to play great basketball. Peters and Lucas too!

melrank 7 years, 10 months ago

"made me barf a little" - isn't that the truth! Noel was a joke.

I will give Bazz some credit, though - he came off better than Noel did and my old fashioned sensibilities were not offended by his handling of the selection or interviews.

What a conflict for a conservative old fan like me - you want talent like that incredibly bad for your team but you feel very turned off when the talent is so self promoting.

A typical reaction is "you can't win with those types of kids". Unfortunately, Calipari winning this title shot a hole into that thinking. His win is going to make it cool for more kids (and ESPN) to fall into the "it's all about promoting me" attitude. Expect to see lots more of this BS - yuk!

I won't say I don't want these types of players because I do - I just don't like the silly self promotion.

I'm happy that we continue to stay on top with kids that are fantastic representatives of themselves and our University - I hope that we continue to find the right mix of talent and attitude in the future. GO BILL!

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Good post, melrank. The self promoting attitude bothers me, too, when paraded to the extreme. I'm all for the hardworking co-operative 3 year development of a star.

Mel Clare 7 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, he sounded like a 2nd grader when he was talking..............another payoff by Cal................

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

We'll see how much bark the ncaa has over this Adidas thing. It may be far reaching but when the ncaa "warned" programs about Shabazz, I think it caused Self and others to pause long enough for Howland to make his final pitch.

Maybe the ncaa did Howland a solid with that little Adidas drama and pushed Shabazz toward UCLA. I think the Adidas scare was a smoke screen for UCLA to get the recruits they need to get restablished. Maybe if we did an investigation of the ncaa committee, we'd find some UCLA connections, hmm. I might just be on to something. If nothing happens with Shabazz at UCLA, then it was all a scam to assist UCLA. It scared all the clean programs off of Shabazz and funny how KU jumped ship and dropped him like a hot potato. I love how the media says Shabazz eliminated KU from his list, LOL, who eliminated who?

gchawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I was going to post essentially the same thing, but you expressed it better than I would have. I truly think Coach Self saw too much baggage with this "one and done'r". My guess is Coach didn't walk away from Shabazz, he ran away!

dgaskill 7 years, 10 months ago

CBS may be remembering his last one and dunner! Josh was a total waste of time ! It would have been more profitable giving the extra minutes to Elijah Johnson .

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I thought Noel's little haircut thing was very cute. If he was nine years old.

Now, if he would have had UK branded on his forehead - THAT would have been cool !

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

That would have been funny if he was doing that in the mirror and mistakenly did "KU"!!!

That interview would have been awesome because the announcer would have said, "You're taking your talents to, KU?" and the kid would have been confused as hell!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

I know it's still another year but wait till Brannen Greene gets here. This guy is really special.

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

I can't wait. I'm real impressed with what I've seen. He seems like a versatile, Pierce-like (not Pierce) player. I would love to see him play the point. I would love to see a 6-7 or 6-8 pg.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

The moment I heard Noel say "I am taking my talent to..." I though he was a perfect recruit for Calipari.

Interesting that most Service have Shabazz as the number one and Noel as two, except for ESPN who has Noel first and promoted him a lot more than Shabazz.

BTW, what is the deal with Shabazz Poindexter glasses? I have seen several NBA stars wearing them, including Le Bron James, and I think they look ridiculous.

dogbones 7 years, 10 months ago

Browsing the UA website looking for the Josiah Turner news and stumbled onto this site. Nice way to organize current and incoming players.

Paul_Pettengill 7 years, 10 months ago

As the sole person responsible for the content of Verbal Commits, I can personally assure you there are no viruses on the site.

If you would let me know what alerted you to a possible virus, I'll investigate why a false positive occurred.

Carter Patterson 7 years, 10 months ago

Paul, nice site. Love the way it was broken out.

Paul_Pettengill 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks! Psyched you like it. Got lots I'd like to add while keeping the same clean UI.

Ron Prichard 7 years, 10 months ago

Great site! Love the information. I have always wondered where I could find that stuff and now I know.

JacquesMerde 7 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes I think manginorh00lz is ahsper..... with an alternate name.

melrank 7 years, 10 months ago

Don't sweat that comment, Paul. If that's your site - good job. I like it and check it out every couple of weeks. Thanks for doing it!

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

LAJayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Great site, Paul. It's very convenient to have all the players listed in that way, with info from all the recruiting services. Well thought out idea.

Kudos, to be sure.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Although I don't go into the depth shown for 'turned pro' and Transfers, I make up similar color coded cards for the current season, and for the following season's Jayhawks, with the incoming frosh in green and the seniors in red. Underclassmen are circled in a dotted red line, if they might leave early for the league. Two black underlines below a soph's name, three black underlines for juniors. >The names on the cards I make are layered with the top row as projected starters: PG - SG - SF - PF - CTR. Second row has the same positions with the first off the bench filled in. The third row has the other bench players who are on scholarship. A dotted line separates the walk-ons from those above (on scholarship). A heavy double black line separates the very bottom names, in blue, which are the following years recruits who have selected KU. I also have another card listing those recruits who have shown interest, their height and weight, rankings, # of stars, and the recruit's interest in KU: + or 0 or - .

mattiesdad 7 years, 10 months ago

I have a spread sheet organized in a very similar fashion. Bold face = in the rotation. I can email it to you if you would like a copy. I tried to copy the info here but it did not translate well due to formatting.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Mahalo, but I'll hold off. I'm comfortable with my current 4" by 6" card system, which I've used for about 20 years. The cards slide easily in and out from below my computer keyboard, so they're convenient and readily available at a moments notice. >I didn't mention before, but I start a separate card at the beginning of each new season with columns for: Dates, teams played, times, TV station if televised, KU's avg. points /game, score for the game, and W/L record. It's similar to what's listed at the top of this board, under schedules. I just don't have to turn my computer on, and I can reference the info. in 5 seconds. Though I do have to write so small I almost need a magnifying glass to read the schedule cards. Still have the cards for the last 12 seasons. >Computers are great, but having grown up without them I'm afraid I'll always be a paper pusher. They're my comfort zone. (My friends keep trying to get me to read books on my computer, but there's something about holding a book and turning the pages to read.)

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

Quit using freeware; you get what you pay for. I accessed the site from two different computers with different (paid) anti viruses and had no problems.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Whether or not Turner's baggage can be blamed on U. of Arizona, or to himself, I doubt HCBS would still take Turner. Primary reason: Although he's a prized PG, Turner could not play during the upcoming season, when KU would need him the most. In addition, KU is already involved with a number of very good 2013 PG's who would come in as freshmen when Turner would become available as a junior. Jeff Withey, who originally went to Arizona, has worked out great. However, Turner sounds like an apple with bruises, which means he could easily turn into a rotten apple. He's just past being ripe for the picking.

KULA 7 years, 10 months ago

Not surprising. Howland needed Shabazz to save his job. He probably promised him anything he wants. Now if Shabazz can get his buddy Parker to sign, they're almost guaranteed a tourney appearance, and Howland's bullyball can get them into the Sweet 16, and Ben signs another 5yr contract.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 10 months ago

First, they have to get past Colorado in the regular season and the conf. tournament!

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd love to see T. Boyle dominate that league...even though I view his school as a conference turncoat.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

I love the "Turncoat" reference when speaking of Colorado, Nebraska (Actually fits because of the colors), Mizzou, and A&M.

VaJay 7 years, 10 months ago

Agreed! I have a split personality with the Buffs now. I root for their bball Only because of Boyle & root against their football team.

Tim Orel 7 years, 10 months ago

Me too, though I have the extra reason being also a CSU alum. Oh, and now we have a BB coach who knows how to party!

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

Yep, that's about right. Plain and simple really.

Dee Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Shabazz attended the KU vs MU game in Lawrence and did not commit after attending that game. The atmosphere alone should have made him commit instantly. How do you not commit after attending that game. Oh well, have fun in UCLA. No true real fan support out in the west coast. While your games are playing 3/4 of the nation is in bed.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 7 years, 10 months ago

ahpers..., please add this to your blah blah list (supra)

Jim Jackson 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree, they have the ocean, warm weather etc. out there, feel like Bruin fans etc are not that invovled. Then again, with all the talent they're landing, that may change.

I'm still hoping Parker comes to KU but only time will tell!! C'mon Tony!

april28 7 years, 10 months ago

Astonishing to me is the fact that, after he attended that game, we were actually the only school that he cut off of his finalist list! Wow!

I'm no recruiting guru but I think that Bill tells recruits that we run a system. I think some other coaches say "We'll alter the offense for you". Not that either way is right or wrong, but I wonder if it has an impact.

Ultimately, KU has certain things to offer a kid, if those things don't appeal to him, then we just have to move on.

7 years, 10 months ago

He cut UNLV off his finalist list at the last minute as well. They were probably only on there in the first place to keep the locals off his back.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

Apparently "Dukey" Vitale was not impressed either. He selected the KU-MU game in Columbia as one of the top 10 games of the year. Most everybody else has KU-MU game in Lawrence as one of the top 3 and many as the top game of the year. I guess you can't see too well when you spend most of your time bending over...

Jim Jackson 7 years, 10 months ago

Anyone still think we have a shot at Parker? I like our chances but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think it's between; KU, UCLA, OSU and UGA.

Based on his previous comments...

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Not looking good! Kentucky is also in the mix!

JayDocMD 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm thinking UK is out now with Noel going there - that's probably why Parker waited to announce so he could see where both Shabazz and Noel were going.

Looks like UCLA is set to become Kentucky West with the likely addition of Parker. They will have talent second to none, although theres a good chance Shabazz will be sitting at least as long as Selby did due to having some of his trips paid for.

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

Or he is waiting for Self to do some rearranging to get some paper free for him. Do we have one to give or are we now full? I've lost track.

How many schollies does Calipari have over there? 26?

Alex Berger 7 years, 10 months ago

1) We have no scholarships to give and that includes taking Wesley off and putting him back as a walk-on. I wonder if Self will recommend Merv to transfer? Or if one of the players has said they will go off scholarship for a year or more?

2) Calipari's revolving door of players makes it easy for him to bring in 5 recruits every year. I hope the one and done rule changes soon.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Including the new recruits who have selected KU, the Jayhawks have a full compliment, at the moment. KU would need to drop a current player from scholarship to add another. That would hinge on whether Anrio Adams passes his SAT, and that White signs his LOI (which he plans to do next Monday). Wesley is off scholarship if the new recruits all qualify.

As for Kenstinky, their player turnstile turns so fast who knows which players are current and which are in past tense. Their fans need a player program just to keep track and to figure out who is on the court during a game. Two years from now they probably won't remember anyone from this year's team, except maybe Unibrow Davis.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

With that said, he was suppose to make a decision yesterday so if he does drag this out longer, it helps KU a little bit.

Ron Prichard 7 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking Parker wanted to announce one day after Shabazz, so that would make it today. To me, when he said that, I figured he would follow Shabazz wherever he decided to go.

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

And...? What are those previous comments? Don't leave us hanging. Spill it if you know something or found anything.

I am of the thought that we have a fair shot at Parker. These kids say so many things during their recruitment. I know he said for a fact that Manning's leaving had little to do with this recruiting. Yet, most believe Manning's leaving was the major reason KU is now out. If you follow that reasoning, if Manning was the reason then wouldn't it make sense that Parker would follow Manning to Tulsa? I would have no problem with that either. In fact, it's great that Manning is in fact going to get TU some extra looks and some top recruits, or big men. He will give them a fair shot at some talent.

Parker has made it clear that he LOVES Hudy and her program. She is proven and he desparately wants that training. I don't think UCLA provides much. He's a smart kid and knows it glamorous and sexy to sign the UCLA, but in the end the program has been crap to say the least. I think he wants a proven program that can develop him and reach his goals. I think it's down to KU and OSU. He's said that dook is not too appealing and I just don't think UCLA will be a great fit. OSU isn't all that encouraging after seeing how Sullinger went, which wasn't all that great. We beat OSU twice: with and without Sully. Lastly, Parker loves the KU fans and the Phog. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he doesn't choose KU.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

He's probably talking about the article where he did a sit down interview with his family going through each school on his list discussing the pros and cons.

That was before Danny made his decision, plus his dad leaked some info out last week while his son was at the Nike Hoops Summit two weeks ago.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

PS Andrea is a hottie and that doesn't hurt!!

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 10 months ago

I wouldn't necessarily say that she's a hottie. To me she kinda looks like a young Arnold Schwarzeneggar only with long blonde curly hair.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 10 months ago

PS... That was a joke. PPS... She could snap my neck like a twig PPPS... Andrea, if you are reading this, please don't hurt me and you are a hottie.

Ron Prichard 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm at the office and trying to have lunch at my desk while catching up on the boards. I literally just laughed and choked on iced tea and some of it went up my nose when I read your comments! Thanks for ruining my lunch!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

Ben had a similar problem but still picked KU... Hopefully Parker can make his own decisions as well.

Brak 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh well, doesn't matter, it's not like he even had KU on his final list so not sure why it is even being reported here. Not a suprise really considering UCLA was the only Addidas school left on his final list, and his sister is under contract with Addidas, and supposedly so is his father so it was already a done deal he was going to an Addidas school. Not that he will see much playing time since the NCAA already warned all possible suitors that his eligibility was in question due to getting money and having his AAU team supported by "family friends" aka the guy that wants to be his manager when he goes pro.

Alex Berger 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm really interested to see how losing Danny Manning will affect our recruiting and development of big men. On one hand, he was such a big part of our success that I can't imagine how to fill in the void he is leaving. On the other hand though, KU did a pretty good job of developing big men before Danny came on staff. Here's to hoping Withey, Traylor, Ellis, Lucas, and Peters will all make big jumps and continue our big man tradition.

Also - just saw that Anrio Adams has been put into the Rivals top 100 and that Peters moved up from the 140s to the 130s. That's a little comforting, right?

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 10 months ago

Adams got bumped to a 4 star, somebody saw something they hadn't seen before.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Adams was rated highly, even higher than now, before he was dropped out of the 2012 senior's list (due to his transfers from school to school, I believe?). Then, when he returned to Ranier, he got his s*** together and proved himself this past season (as a senior). So, he was returned to the 2012 senior's list. That's my understanding on it. Anyway you look at it, if Adams qualifies he should be a great get. A number of high majors (BCS schools) were recruiting him, including Texas and (if I remember correctly) U Conn. He's a possible PG, which is what KU is need of. He also has similar speed as TT. And with a wingspan of 6' 9" he could be adept at stealing the ball.

jaybate 7 years, 10 months ago

Nerlen Noels? Not a KU name. And he needs to get ready to be stuffed by a real shot blocker in Jeff Withey.

Shabazz? Not a big enough need to meet his material needs with BenMac and White already aboard and Shabazz only sticking for a year. Only certain places can cut the big checks for OADs?

Turner? Him transferring hunts. He practices next season, plays the next. Bruises mentioned by Aloha real, but great insurance for two years at the point with an internship year.

Parker? Rightly chastened by Manning departure. But if his family wants to do it the right way, KU still his best choice. I mean, you don't suppose Bill Self has been taking notes on what Danny taught the big men, do you? That was always the quid pro quo for Self in hiring Manning. Danny got to learn to be a coach. Self got to learn the secrets of big man play and technique and psychology.

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't know enough about J. Turner and his problems at Arizona. But it appears that Sean Miller, who has done a fantastic recruiting job, has not yet been able to blend his newcomers into a solid competitive program. If Bill Self should think the kid is salvageable, I would not disagree with his judgment. However, I would be somewhat surprised to see him offer a scholarship to a player who would not be immediately eligible to help in the point rotation next year. I would envision him going after a j.c. point guard, much in the way that Dreadful Drew did with Jackson.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

With that said, a kid like Turner might need a year of practice to see and understand what he is possibly throwing away. And that's regardless where he goes. Self would be good Turner because he wouldn't take his crap!

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

And watching a house of cards fall is pretty cool to watch. I don't know what it is about watching. It's like running through a big pile of leaves. It's just entertaining.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

Part of the scholarship is he gets to date a Kardashian!!

KGphoto 7 years, 10 months ago

You're probably right. Here we go.

Muhammad taps shaky house of cards, Kardashian.

bbeckum 7 years, 10 months ago

Repost Alert: Hey LJW: Just read the article from yesterday where HCBS spoke of taking the team to Italy this summer, so I'm posting this here, hoping it will be seen. You guys should arrange a tour for jayhawk fans to follow the hawks around italy this summer and watch all their games. Just sayin. I'd go, but then I'm a goober who loves the jayhawks more than just about anything else.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey, Jaybate, weren't you recently in Italia??? How about an eight part post of your impressions. [ JB...I'm just kidding!! :) ]

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey, Oak, don't be stirrin' that guy up with any gentle digs. He will hammer you with a 30 part post!

texashawk10 7 years, 10 months ago

Only 30, damn. I was really looking forward to the 50 part post that he has coming.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 10 months ago

4/11/where-will-tony-parker-sign-tonight-duke-uga-kansas-ucla/

Good article from the Atlanta Journal

7 years, 10 months ago

From the article:

“Kansas – Pros: This was Parker’s best official visit and he was blown away by the atmosphere. Cons: The Jayhawks got in the Parker sweepstakes too late. Former NBA star Danny Manning, who specialized in training big men at Kansas, was hired away as Tulsa’s coach. Out of our four finalists, Kansas would be the toughest place for Parker to have an instant impact because of team depth. Final opinion: When Manning left the building, so did Kansas’ best chances. Otherwise, they might be our frontrunner. Timing is everything in life, isn’t it?”

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't buy the Manning part. I really don't think Manning is a deal breaker. I think he was looking forward to Manning's coaching, but not a deal breaker. Parker didn't say that at all. It's the Atlanta Journal's words and hopes that Manning's leaving will impact his decision.

Like I said in an earlier post, if Manning is the major reason Parker doesn't sign with KU, then he follows Manning to TU.

7 years, 10 months ago

I hear you. From what I have read, Parker was more excited about Hudy's training program than anything else.

Sam Constance 7 years, 10 months ago

Agree 100% with truehawk93.

And honestly, I'm getting a little sick of this overhype of what Manning brought to our program. Was he a great developer of big men and an excellent assistant coach?

Absolutely.

But the way people are talking about his departure, you'd think HE was the head coach. If you go back and look at the difference in big man development under Self before and after Danny, the results are inconclusive at best. Basically, it's just hard (if not impossible) to separate out one element of something as complex as player development in college and point to that element as THE reason players are developing.

In my opinion, Manning was like the cherry on top. Does it make the sundae better than it already was? No question. But is the sundae still worth eating even if it doesn't have a cherry? Of course.

He was a bonus--we got an extra facet out of him being our assistant coach that we might not have gotten from another assistant--but he was not the guy closing on top recruits. I'm pretty sure Perry Ellis was the first "big time" prospect on which he was even the lead recruiter.

Don't get me wrong. I love what Danny has done for the Jayhawks. His contributions, both as a player and coach, will be remembered for a long, long, long... long... long time. I just refuse to believe that Danny Manning is the only person with knowledge of the footwork, post moves and "tricks" that make a post player great.

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

Dook has that little 5'11 guard teaching their big men...ha ha...Parker has major reservations with dook's big man development. The only time he played post was in grade school on the itty bitty boys team. I can't imagine someone like that teaching Kahn, DBlock, Shady, Condor, Twins, TRob, WIthey, and the next group of bigs.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with marchphog88.

There isn't a single thing that HC Manning knows about coaching that HC Self doesn't. Everything HC Manning knows about coaching, he learned from HC Self.

Both can coach the equally as well, the only difference is when Manning demonstrates the "moves" he gets the ball "returned" back to him by Whitey a lot less than HC Self. How important this is depends on the individual; to some is not important at all, to others it is very important...reality is likely somewhere in between.

Bee Bee 7 years, 10 months ago

Shabazz can play his career in well deserved obscurity at UCLA. They used to be good.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 10 months ago

Let us all know how much you won by betting on the Tigers to beat Alabama in Columbia next football season and if you bet on Alabama, you are a coward and a fraud.

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

11 class in 2012 minus the red shirt freshmen, #3 class in 2013 so far. Where's Missouri?

dhinkansas 7 years, 10 months ago

Wow....a Mizzou fan leaving the simmering meth long enough to make a post.

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

It may seem like Bill misses out on recruits because he is in the running for so many of the top talents. If MU could hope to sniff any of that talent you would understand not getting 'em all.

minnhawk84 7 years, 10 months ago

Recruiting for Heath isn't so hot this year; which incoming class would you prefer to have?

Oh, and congrats to the Tiggers for making the ESPN 2012-13 top 25 Basketball list..........squeaking in at 25.

Better get Norfolk State on the preseason schedule so Misery can play some tougher competition next year prior to playing in the "second" conference.

7 years, 10 months ago

Please tell your sister/wife she is quite welcome, and we wish you the best of luck in the SEC.

Warmest Regards

RJ King 7 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of ucla, may Reeves Nelson wee wee on the kindergarten projects lying about your room.

jaycon11 7 years, 10 months ago

now that missour-uh joined the s-e-c, they will need to change their name to the s-u-c. see ya at the n.i.t. next march!

Joe Baker 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't plan to watch fizzou lose in the NIT, but rather watch KU make another championship run. I don't plan see them anywhere anytime soon, except in obscurity.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

How much did you lose on MU in the NIT? Mizzou..the only Big 12/Big 8 team to lose to a 15th seed..EVER!

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 10 months ago

LOL you actually showed your face here after saying we would lose to Purdue, NC State, ect...hilarious. By the way, we weren't even on this kids final list of schools, so I don't get your point.

Once again, nobody actually believes youve ever won a dime off a KU fan, or anyone else. "I'd like to thank the Mizzou fans for the personal jet they just bought me". --See. Anyone can write words on the internet.

Please keep posting here forever though, you brighten my day with a chuckle, everytime. Enjoy your transfer recruits. ;-)

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and we're the projected #4 preseason team next year... where's Missouri? Not to shabby for a team who "can't recruit"...

7 years, 10 months ago

My favorite part:

"No matter what the personnel losses are, haven't we learned our lesson not to dismiss this program as long as Bill Self is in charge? Yes. Yes, we have. KU isn't going anywhere."

brooksmd 7 years, 10 months ago

The last comment on Missery in that story, "Missouri should have an immediate impact in the SEC race." Really? There are many high school teams that would have an immediate impact in the SEC race.

jaybate 7 years, 10 months ago

fizzourishat,

Set'em up for Pinkel and watch him weave.

Give Haith a cell phone and watch him overcall recruits and run up a bill looking for legal advice on the Miami stuff.

Stay out of our letterbox and we'll stop making it clump around you.

Rock Chalk!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 10 months ago

Is it me or is this guy complely bi-polar?

Steve_Jobs 7 years, 10 months ago

You probably are still in the hole after blowing your life savings backing that deposed Nigerian prince who e-mailed you last year. Seemed like such a smart investment!

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I know you will miss us. The most heralded program in the history of the game tends to make winners of us all. Congrats on your largesse.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

If you are going to talk about old "tricks" you should talk to the experts, i.e. MU fans and relatives; definitely all the female and likely most of the male as well.

Sam Constance 7 years, 10 months ago

Only a Missouri fan would scrounge for something to gloat about in a year where the following was true:

1) KU fields its "worst" team (on paper) in decades 2) MU fields its best team in decades 3) KU wins the Big 12 by two full games 4) KU gets to the national championship game 5) MU loses as a 2-seed in the first round (something that has only happened 6 times. Ever)

Unless your comment is a sarcastic poke at the plethora of KU fans who like to fret and worry about the rankings beside a bunch of unproven HS kids and Bill Self's recruiting ability, in which case I say "good stuff".

brooksmd 7 years, 10 months ago

You'll still be finishing behind another school with the letters K and U.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 10 months ago

The "football school" with 0 BCS appearances that got denied byt he Big 10. God, you guys really are the whipping boy of D-1. LOL!!!

JayDocMD 7 years, 10 months ago

Now that Kid signed with UK, any word on where Play will sign? I hope its UK so they can have another House Party.

Alohahawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Top headline of the day.: "S&M Selects (S)UCLA - Shuns Yuck. U./Cal Lie Pari". According to insider news, rumor has it Coach Cal Lie Pari had to make some quick calls after the announcement. Seems some Yuck U. backers wanted a certain shoebox returned to them, or Coach Cal Lie Pari would be hearing from them 'personally'. When the roach, uh, I mean coach attempted to reach said recruit, a recorded message explained that all calls were being forwarded through NC Double A channels, and that the caller should leave a message through them. Word on the streets is that Coach Roach's, uh, I mean Cal Lie Pari's whereabouts are unknown. He may have shaved the back of his head into a smiling face to avoid detection.

All fictitious. No malice intended.

JayDocMD 7 years, 10 months ago

This story's headline is remarkably similar to one from Arkansas: Coach Petrino Taps Dorrell

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

Who cares?

between Ellis, Mclemore, White and Greene the 3 spot is not an area we have to worry about for the next 3+ years. Releford has the 3 spot locked up for next year anayway, there was no chance a OAD like Bazz was going to come off the bench.

Tony Parker is the important target this spring. Is anybody truly comfortable with the thought of a Lucas/Peters frontcourt 3 years from now?

REHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Attaboy, bennybob, chop em down at the knees before they unpack their bedrolls! Any kid who is savvy enough to sign on with Jayhawk basketball is highly deserving of the gift an even more savvy Bill Self has offered. Hang onto yer topknot and wait to see what unfolds. I'm wagering on the upside.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

You honestly believe Zach Peters and Landen Lucas will someday be capable of competing with the Anthony Davis/Terrance Jones frontcourts of the world?

Go watch some youtube videos of Davis, Zeller, Trob etc in highschool, then watch some videos of Lucas and tell me you think they're comparable athletes.

Then remember, these kids aren't going to have the privilege of studying under Danny Manning like the Morrii and Withey did.

any sane man has to realize the odds of Landen Lucas going down in history as one of the great Jayhawks is slim to none.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

I've always found one of the easiest ways to judge a kids athleticism is to see how far he gets the ball above the rim when he dunks.

Parker throws it down with ease, I'm curious if Lucas can even dunk at will or if he needs a perfect set up to get that high.

Parker is also much stronger.

I agree with you on Peters, I'm not dissapointed with his signing. He'll be a solid 4 year guy and he gave us an advantage in the Julius Randle sweepstakes

dylans 7 years, 10 months ago

Recruiting isn't done for 2013 yet, nor has it begun for 2014. Don't worry a good big man will seize the opportunity. Possibly Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Chris Walker, or who knows whom else, but it'll work its way out.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

If Adams qualifies, i think he capable of jumping Tharpe on the depth chart. He's not a pass first PG like Tharpe but his athletic ability and upside are far greater. I also think Frankcamp will see time at the point so i'm not overly concerned there.

Self has always been a Hi-Low, inside-out coach. His offense runs through his bigs. Unless he's completely changing his philosophy, landing top big men will always be more important than elite back court prospects.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

Plenty of targets in the '14 class to fill that need. I think Alerik freeman will fit quit nicely with that compliment of lengthy wings.

I really hope your right about Lucas, from what i've seen on youtube he seems like a bright, well spoken kid with his priorities in the right order. I wish him nothing but the best.

I just don't see him ever making significant contributions to the team in his 4 years here. I think reasonable expectations would be a christian-moody-like career

brooksmd 7 years, 10 months ago

Were you comfortable with a Withey/TRob front court 3 years ago?

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

A legit 7 footer and athletic freak did not have me nearly as concerned as two 6'8", slow, big bodied kids who can hardly get off the ground

KULA 7 years, 10 months ago

I think I just found the answer in the local paper (can't believe I read something worthwhile in a Bill Plaschke column, lol). Looks like Howland promised to run the offense to showcase Shabazz. Something he didn't even do for Kevin Love. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. Something Bill or Coach K would never do. Something even Cal couldn't do with the assortment of talent and egos he has to deal with (gotta at least give him credit for getting those kids to buy into the team concept).

So look for Shabazz to go for upwards of 20 shots and well over 20 pts/game next year.

AsadZ 7 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawk Nation, While Danny did a great job with the Bigs, Self is a Master when it comes to recruiting and coaching Bigs - Hi / Lo System.

Remember the Bigs we had here before Danny joined the staff.

Also look at Self's track record at Tulsa & Illinois on Bigs.

I still remember how Self's Illinois team manhandled KU, it was like watching Boys playing against Men.

With or without Mr. Parker KU will be good, and will always have good Bigs as long as Bill Self is our HC.

hawksince51 7 years, 10 months ago

So we lost another OAD. Good riddance. Let UCLA waste a year building an offense around him which probably will be mediocre, at best, for a year and then he is gone the way of Henry and Selby. Our success this year confirms what I have felt for a long time in Self's system--you can't beat the benefit of experienced upperclassmen. Consider the freshmen year of Rush, Wright and Chalmers when Kaun, Jackson and R-Rob were sophomores. Then add 2 years experience, subtract Wright, add one sophomore Arthur, and you have the '08 NC. IMHO anything positive we got out of Henry and Selby was more than offset by depriving others of vital game experience.

Kye Clark 7 years, 10 months ago

Better add another sophomore in there - Sherron Collins!

hawksince51 7 years, 10 months ago

Yep--my bad. Was a serious contributor.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 10 months ago

The flaw in this reasoning is the fact that everyone of the players you listed were highly recruited kids with talent levels far superior to the potential upperclassmen were looking at 2-3 years from now.

Kentucky just proved that Talent > Experience

of course experienced talent(like the '08 team) is the ideal

Alex Peekeaton 7 years, 10 months ago

"And finally, speaking analytically (not sour grapes), the 2012TRob/TyshawnHawks were a couple of FTs and 3 missed dunks from pulling a major upset. Recall Teague's late 3s x 2"

Hear ya, but you can also conclude UK was up double digits from the 8 minute mark in first half til less than 5 minutes to go in game (up 15 with 5 min to play). You can't expect to win games against great teams being down double digits although KU did it against good teams in the tournament. I believe the formula Calipari was able to use was 50/50 - top talent (Davis/Gilchrist/Teague) and experienced talent (Lamb/Jones/Miller). UK was by far the best team in the country and Calipari showed you can win this championship with 6 talented players. I can see teams making a run for the NC with a couple top recruits and several experienced & talented players...but the "talent" has to be there.

Mike Skiles 7 years, 10 months ago

OK, so Shabazz had one of best seats in the house for what was arguably one of the greatest games played in AFH (KU-Missou), and after all of that he drops KU from his final 3 schools list?! Wow, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know? Great talent yes, but I certainly loose no sleep over his opting not to come to Lawrence. I'm excited about next year's team, its really loaded and with the best coach in college b-ball, it will be a fun season! RCJH!