Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Keegan

Crist studies Brady’s craft

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist gets down with the offensive line behind the sled as the unit runs through drills during practice on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

Penn State became known as Linebacker U because generations of rugged men earned all-conference and All-America honors playing the position in State College and then earned big paychecks playing in the NFL.

That’s how traditions are built, over time. But when someone brings a reputation with him the size of Charlie Weis’ working with quarterbacks, a waiver is granted, and Kansas University now can be called Quarterback U.

When Weis worked for the Kansas City Chiefs, was anybody debating whether Matt Cassel was the right man for the job? Of course not. Turn on your radio to see if that’s still the case.

Cassel had a career year under Weis, yet another example of Charlie’s amazing lucky streak of getting to coach quarterbacks when they have their best seasons. Either that or the guy has something to do with helping the quarterback perform so much better. Hey, there’s a thought.

After Tuesday’s practice, the prize pupil at newly Cristened Quarterback U offered a little insight into life in the shoes New England Patriots great Tom Brady wore for so long. Some of the film Weis’ present quarterback watches is the same as his most famous quarterback watched.

“I remember at Notre Dame watching a lot of film on him,” Kansas senior quarterback Dayne Crist said. “Tom Brady and coach have a real special relationship and still talk frequently. He makes note of that all the time.”

It doesn’t take long to appreciate that Crist has a fertile brain, an advanced maturity about him. He sees and hears things, he remembers them. Forever.

“He’s one of the best, if not the best in the pocket in terms of the movement and stuff, so we’re always watching film of Tom Brady,” Crist said. “In my opinion, he’s the best in the game, so whatever I can take from that, I’ll be a sponge and take whatever I can take from that.”

Crist knows he’s lucky to have Weis explaining what enables Brady — a threat to finish third in a foot race with an expectant mother, to steal a line from the late, great Don Fambrough — to be so elusive in the pocket.

“I think he’s definitely gifted with that ability, but you can tell it’s definitely something that he works very hard at,” Crist said. “It’s not just something that just comes to him, and he just says ‘Hey, it’s part of the arsenal.’ You can tell he’s working at things like that. You talk about he may not be the fleetest of foot, but those movements in the pocket, those subtle movements, are what’s most important.”

Todd Reesing had them, and it wasn’t until the pocket completely collapsed that he got on his unicycle and made circus plays we’ll never forget.

Crist doesn’t store a unicycle up his sleeve. Then again, neither does Brady.

Comments

brgregory 2 years ago

I am as optimistic about KU football as I have been for a long time, but seriously...quarterback U?

Other than Hadl (almost 40 years ago) has a KU quarterback ever even started a game in the NFL much less even spent a season on a roster?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Clarence Haynes 2 years ago

If Brady ever visits Lawrence, he has to bring Giselle with him!

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

I am looking forward to improvement in this regard. For the last two years we have heard about the lack of quality QB play and I was never certain that it was the quality of recruit that was the problem, but either way with a guy that is highly regarded, a coach that is highly regarded as an offensive genius I am looking for good things. We still have some very good running backs and a couple of good receivers. Now with someone who knows what he is doing I am optimistic. No way we win two or three games. Yet, the conference is going to be brutal. Hope Arkansas hires Briles or Rhoads so we can get back to chalking up one or the other as a sure W.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years ago

HE PLAYED ON A UNICYCLE!!????!?!?

Keith Hummel 2 years ago

Some great video from The Shiver at http://theshiver.com/2012/04/kansas-spring-football-2012-day-7/ today with more about Crist. In addition, Pick and Patterson talk allot about the emphasis on blocking this year, which is great to hear.

Also interesting to hear that stamina is an issue with this team that they are trying to address. How many times did our defense get burned in the 2nd half last year because they got gassed? Not surprised to hear stamina is an issue.

KU79 2 years ago

Hey -- Crist is a huge upgrade at QB, and Keegan is using some hyperbole, but what the hell. Keegan also doesn't mind saying when something sucks, and takes crap for that, as well. And for those that have no sense of KU football history, we've had some pretty damn fine QB's here, none the least Todd Reesing. He did some things that I don't think I've ever seen before, or will again. He was a magician. But prior to him we had All Americans Hadl, Douglas, Jaynes, and Cromwell at the position. That's a pretty good amount of All American QB's at what's considered a "non-football" school. Frank Seurer wasn't bad and had a shot at playing for the Chiefs before an accident. All in all, we've had some damn fine QB's and I'm looking forward to Crist and Heaps, and what Weis can do to mold them into players that create more memories for us fans. Can't wait for the Spring game, and for next fall.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years ago

I think I'd check in with some of the Chief fans before I'd declare Cassel's time with Weis a success. Overall they were sour on him then and they are sure sour on him now. Chief nation thought more of Weis in terms of offense scheming and play calling.

Fortesque Beagleton 2 years ago

Good Lord, Keegs. Quarterback U? Really? A waiver? Who issued such waiver - Blowhard Sports Editors of America? None of these QBs has so much as played a down while wearing Crimson and Blue. High hopes is one thing, this is something entirely else.

KUbsee69 2 years ago

Actually, I liked the line "Brady — a threat to finish third in a foot race with an expectant mother".

madamhawk 2 years ago

My season tickets have been purchased and I'm ready for game one.

My magic eight-ball has confirmed that: we will have a 7-5 record, go to a bowl game and Crist is nominated for a Heisman ;-)

Rock Chalk!!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years ago

Despite decades of mediocrity KU fans hope a coach and quarterbacks who are viewed as having failed at other schools can rise above abject failure at KU.

The line above contains truth and is sufficiently negative to please those with a pessimistic psychological bent. It also is provocative and would draw ire from those who remain hopeful a proven NFL winner can assess and motivate Big 12 level talent.

I'm thankful for this forum that provides opportunity for literary critics, grammarians, journalists, fans (including me), and trolls to bloviate. I enjoyed Tom's article and choose to remain naive/optimistic about KU football.

Keith Hummel 2 years ago

Good Grief! Some of you really need to take Keegan's photo off your dart board and move on. He is a "columnist", which means he writes articles that offer commentary and opinions, often for the expressed purpose of creating discussion and debate. Stop taking him so seriously!!! Several posters have gleefully referred to our esteemed institution as QBU ever since that amazing day when Crist and Heaps signed on. None of them has ever been taken to task for it, yet when Keegan uses the term a lynch mob instantly forms. Here's some insight - this article was meant to be fun. Keegan doesn't really think KU is QBU .... yet.

As for Dayne Crist, who knows how he will play in the fall, but you have to be impressed with everything about him and his potential. I challenge anyone to watch his interview on Rivals (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Crist-impressed-with-wide-receivers-in-spring-1103918) and not walk away impressed. And you can't get a better endorsement than the one Grunhard gave on April 4th (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Grunhard-talks-about-coaching-the-OL-1103745;ylt=AvVfV6344IodZaMMRW399vv3dO5). My concern is not about Dayne Crist, it's about our offense's ability to protect Dayne Crist. In that sense, Grunny may just have the most important job on the team. If Crist has time he WILL find receivers, and we WILL score touchdowns - there's no doubt about that.

april28 2 years ago

So.....someone with the handle "HawkitToEm" is accusing someone else of writing as if he was in high school? Hmmmmmmm.....

HawkitToEm 2 years ago

phogfusion 2 years ago

I'm in screw it!!! WE ARE QBU!! BRING IT!!!

Bill Skeet 2 years ago

I'm excited too.. but the Kool-aid cup runneth over...

kuilander 2 years ago

excited as i am, we have two quarterbacks who couldnt keep their starting jobs elsewhere, and have not lured any big-time quarterback recruits out of high school ... i'd cool it on the qb u stuff, makes us look silly

Kevin Studer 2 years ago

Good to know KU is now a pipeline for QBs to the NFL before any of them have taken a single snap.

kumax 2 years ago

Quarterback U?!

I'd wait for some results before I'd start throwing that line around.