Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Keegan

Crist studies Brady’s craft

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist gets down with the offensive line behind the sled as the unit runs through drills during practice on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

Penn State became known as Linebacker U because generations of rugged men earned all-conference and All-America honors playing the position in State College and then earned big paychecks playing in the NFL.

That’s how traditions are built, over time. But when someone brings a reputation with him the size of Charlie Weis’ working with quarterbacks, a waiver is granted, and Kansas University now can be called Quarterback U.

When Weis worked for the Kansas City Chiefs, was anybody debating whether Matt Cassel was the right man for the job? Of course not. Turn on your radio to see if that’s still the case.

Cassel had a career year under Weis, yet another example of Charlie’s amazing lucky streak of getting to coach quarterbacks when they have their best seasons. Either that or the guy has something to do with helping the quarterback perform so much better. Hey, there’s a thought.

After Tuesday’s practice, the prize pupil at newly Cristened Quarterback U offered a little insight into life in the shoes New England Patriots great Tom Brady wore for so long. Some of the film Weis’ present quarterback watches is the same as his most famous quarterback watched.

“I remember at Notre Dame watching a lot of film on him,” Kansas senior quarterback Dayne Crist said. “Tom Brady and coach have a real special relationship and still talk frequently. He makes note of that all the time.”

It doesn’t take long to appreciate that Crist has a fertile brain, an advanced maturity about him. He sees and hears things, he remembers them. Forever.

“He’s one of the best, if not the best in the pocket in terms of the movement and stuff, so we’re always watching film of Tom Brady,” Crist said. “In my opinion, he’s the best in the game, so whatever I can take from that, I’ll be a sponge and take whatever I can take from that.”

Crist knows he’s lucky to have Weis explaining what enables Brady — a threat to finish third in a foot race with an expectant mother, to steal a line from the late, great Don Fambrough — to be so elusive in the pocket.

“I think he’s definitely gifted with that ability, but you can tell it’s definitely something that he works very hard at,” Crist said. “It’s not just something that just comes to him, and he just says ‘Hey, it’s part of the arsenal.’ You can tell he’s working at things like that. You talk about he may not be the fleetest of foot, but those movements in the pocket, those subtle movements, are what’s most important.”

Todd Reesing had them, and it wasn’t until the pocket completely collapsed that he got on his unicycle and made circus plays we’ll never forget.

Crist doesn’t store a unicycle up his sleeve. Then again, neither does Brady.

Comments

kumax 2 years, 3 months ago

Quarterback U?!

I'd wait for some results before I'd start throwing that line around.

Graczyk 2 years, 3 months ago

Seriously. Let's at least win one game first.

Kevin Studer 2 years, 3 months ago

Good to know KU is now a pipeline for QBs to the NFL before any of them have taken a single snap.

kuilander 2 years, 3 months ago

excited as i am, we have two quarterbacks who couldnt keep their starting jobs elsewhere, and have not lured any big-time quarterback recruits out of high school ... i'd cool it on the qb u stuff, makes us look silly

Dirk Medema 2 years, 3 months ago

There is some question whether Dayne got beat out, or whether the coach that didn't recruit just chose to switch to the young QB he recruited.

With Heaps, he was replaced with the starter that had been sidelined with an injury that gave him the start in the first place.

Both should be big upgrades for us, tho the writing IS typical Keegan.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

I have been told that it was the latter.

Bill Skeet 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm excited too.. but the Kool-aid cup runneth over...

phogfusion 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm in screw it!!! WE ARE QBU!! BRING IT!!!

HawkitToEm 2 years, 3 months ago

april28 2 years, 3 months ago

So.....someone with the handle "HawkitToEm" is accusing someone else of writing as if he was in high school? Hmmmmmmm.....

actorman 2 years, 3 months ago

The difference is that HawkItToEm is not being PAID to write here.

This has to be one of Keegan's most ridiculous columns ever (and as we all know, that's saying something). As the others have pointed out, let's see some actual RESULTS before we start coming up with names as ridiculous as QB U for KU.

Actually, "ridiculous" doesn't even begin to cover how stupid and lame-brained a comment it is to refer to KU (of all places) as "Quarterback U."

april28 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing that....just like the headline article a few days ago....Keegan's comment isn't meant to be strictly accurate but, instead, is intended to point to the facts that we now have two, 5-star quarterbacks at KU, a highly regarded Juco signee and a highly regarded high school verbal for next year.

And please don't use the lame argument: he gets paid. If you want to come on here and write something for the public, especially something critical of someone else, then at least stand behind it and don't use excuses that you aren't responsible because you are, in fact, an amateur.

bradh 2 years, 3 months ago

I think most of you see Keegan's name on the article and look for something to gripe about. All Keegan says is that everywhere Weiss has been the QBs in the program have their best years. Seems a valid and hopeful point to me.

HawkitToEm 2 years, 3 months ago

Hawk it to em is a song that was written in the 60's when the jayhawks went to the orange bowl for the first time, awesome song, youtube it!

and april28 is a wonderful handle! april showers!

Chris Bailey 2 years, 3 months ago

I like all the comments. And yes I agree Weis has made qb's good whereever he's been. Love April28 great name! Should be a great day! HawkitToEm super cool too! I think we are reading too much into the article as well. I like the buzz that we are creating. Rock Chalk!

Jim Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

Mostly, when I see Keegan's name, I usually look for something else to read. I'm not sure what compelled me this time....hmmm?

Keith Hummel 2 years, 3 months ago

Good Grief! Some of you really need to take Keegan's photo off your dart board and move on. He is a "columnist", which means he writes articles that offer commentary and opinions, often for the expressed purpose of creating discussion and debate. Stop taking him so seriously!!! Several posters have gleefully referred to our esteemed institution as QBU ever since that amazing day when Crist and Heaps signed on. None of them has ever been taken to task for it, yet when Keegan uses the term a lynch mob instantly forms. Here's some insight - this article was meant to be fun. Keegan doesn't really think KU is QBU .... yet.

As for Dayne Crist, who knows how he will play in the fall, but you have to be impressed with everything about him and his potential. I challenge anyone to watch his interview on Rivals (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Crist-impressed-with-wide-receivers-in-spring-1103918) and not walk away impressed. And you can't get a better endorsement than the one Grunhard gave on April 4th (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Grunhard-talks-about-coaching-the-OL-1103745;ylt=AvVfV6344IodZaMMRW399vv3dO5). My concern is not about Dayne Crist, it's about our offense's ability to protect Dayne Crist. In that sense, Grunny may just have the most important job on the team. If Crist has time he WILL find receivers, and we WILL score touchdowns - there's no doubt about that.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

Despite decades of mediocrity KU fans hope a coach and quarterbacks who are viewed as having failed at other schools can rise above abject failure at KU.

The line above contains truth and is sufficiently negative to please those with a pessimistic psychological bent. It also is provocative and would draw ire from those who remain hopeful a proven NFL winner can assess and motivate Big 12 level talent.

I'm thankful for this forum that provides opportunity for literary critics, grammarians, journalists, fans (including me), and trolls to bloviate. I enjoyed Tom's article and choose to remain naive/optimistic about KU football.

madamhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

My season tickets have been purchased and I'm ready for game one.

My magic eight-ball has confirmed that: we will have a 7-5 record, go to a bowl game and Crist is nominated for a Heisman ;-)

Rock Chalk!!!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Do you still have the receipt for that magic eight-ball? Lol

madamhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

LMAO!!!

It was made in Indonesia, bought in Mexico from a street side vendor with Canadian money. We'll see by seasons end if it grants American wishes.

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

If we go 7-5, you might add Weis as COY too :O

KUbsee69 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually, I liked the line "Brady — a threat to finish third in a foot race with an expectant mother".

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 3 months ago

I think I'd check in with some of the Chief fans before I'd declare Cassel's time with Weis a success. Overall they were sour on him then and they are sure sour on him now. Chief nation thought more of Weis in terms of offense scheming and play calling.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

What TK is referring to is that in the year that Cassel had C. Weis in the press box (if my memory serves correctly) 1) the Chiefs made the playoffs, and 2) Cassel was selected for the Pro Bowl.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 3 months ago

I know what TK is referring to, and you are correct as to the year and those two accomplishments. What I'm indicating is that among Chief fans that connection or conclusion is not valid. For that fan base other factors (Weis's play calling being one) were the reasons they made the playoffs and Cassel's Pro Bowl selection was only a result of KC's good fortune. Visit Arrowheadpride.com or Arrowheadaddict.com to get a real sense of the fan base on Cassel.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

The article clearly states:

"Cassel had a career year under Weis, yet another example of Charlie’s amazing lucky streak of getting to coach quarterbacks when they have their best seasons."

In 2010 Cassel led the Chiefs to the division title and he was named to the Pro Bowl. I don't see where is your problems as Keegan was referring only to the year when Weis coached Cassel, and in that respect, he is correct.

As far as the Chiefs fans, when is the last time the Chiefs sent a QB to the Pro Bowl? Trent Green in 2005? When is the last time the Chiefs won a division championship? 2003 and before that?1997. So it does look like Cassel had one heck of a season under Charlie Weis.

KU79 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey -- Crist is a huge upgrade at QB, and Keegan is using some hyperbole, but what the hell. Keegan also doesn't mind saying when something sucks, and takes crap for that, as well. And for those that have no sense of KU football history, we've had some pretty damn fine QB's here, none the least Todd Reesing. He did some things that I don't think I've ever seen before, or will again. He was a magician. But prior to him we had All Americans Hadl, Douglas, Jaynes, and Cromwell at the position. That's a pretty good amount of All American QB's at what's considered a "non-football" school. Frank Seurer wasn't bad and had a shot at playing for the Chiefs before an accident. All in all, we've had some damn fine QB's and I'm looking forward to Crist and Heaps, and what Weis can do to mold them into players that create more memories for us fans. Can't wait for the Spring game, and for next fall.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 3 months ago

Some great video from The Shiver at http://theshiver.com/2012/04/kansas-spring-football-2012-day-7/ today with more about Crist. In addition, Pick and Patterson talk allot about the emphasis on blocking this year, which is great to hear.

Also interesting to hear that stamina is an issue with this team that they are trying to address. How many times did our defense get burned in the 2nd half last year because they got gassed? Not surprised to hear stamina is an issue.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

AtlJaybird, thanks for posting the link. Very interesting stuff!

John Boyle 2 years, 3 months ago

They got burned in the 1st half as well.

John Boyle 2 years, 3 months ago

They were so bad they even got burned during halftime

KU79 2 years, 3 months ago

And we even practiced "halftime." You can't make this stuff up.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 3 months ago

I am looking forward to improvement in this regard. For the last two years we have heard about the lack of quality QB play and I was never certain that it was the quality of recruit that was the problem, but either way with a guy that is highly regarded, a coach that is highly regarded as an offensive genius I am looking for good things. We still have some very good running backs and a couple of good receivers. Now with someone who knows what he is doing I am optimistic. No way we win two or three games. Yet, the conference is going to be brutal. Hope Arkansas hires Briles or Rhoads so we can get back to chalking up one or the other as a sure W.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

If Brady ever visits Lawrence, he has to bring Giselle with him!

brgregory 2 years, 3 months ago

I am as optimistic about KU football as I have been for a long time, but seriously...quarterback U?

Other than Hadl (almost 40 years ago) has a KU quarterback ever even started a game in the NFL much less even spent a season on a roster?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

Bobby Douglas played in the NFL 10 seasons. Started for the Bears..

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess I could at least get the name right Douglass.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

Nolan Cromwell was an All-American honorable mention QB at KU. He started for 11 years for the Rams.

P.S. You asked for a KU QB that started in the NFL, you did not specify the NFL position.

brgregory 2 years, 3 months ago

Good stuff. I completely forgot about Douglass but impressive info with Cromwell. Never would have come up with that.

Quarterback U it is then...I guess.