Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson share Manning Award

photo

Teammates Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor have a laugh with head coach Bill Self and former assistant Danny Manning after the players were presented as co-recipients of the Mr. Jayhawk Danny Manning Award for the 2011-12 season, during the Men's Basketball Banquet on Monday, April 9, 2012 at the Holidome.

photo

Kansas center Jeff Withey smiles as he is recognized before those gathered during the Men's Basketball Banquet on Monday, April 9, 2012 at the Holidome. Also pictured are Niko Roberts, left, and Travis Releford.

Departing Kansas University basketball players Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor were named co-winners of the coveted Danny Manning “Mr. Jayhawk” Award at the conclusion of Monday’s postseason banquet at the Holidome.

Manning, the new head coach at Tulsa University, was on hand to present the hardware to Robinson, a junior who earlier Monday declared for the NBA Draft, and Taylor, a senior expected to be taken somewhere late in the first round or in the second round.

There were standing ovations from 600 banquet-goers for not only those two, but some of the marquee players on next year’s team — junior starters Travis Releford, Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey.

“He’s the unsung hero of our team, our glue guy,” KU coach Bill Self gushed of small forward Releford.

Of junior combo guard Johnson, Self said: “The two most talented guards we’ve recruited since we’ve been here, taking everything into consideration — speed, strength, slide, stroke, vision, handles — are Sherron Collins and Elijah Johnson.”

Saving perhaps the greatest compliment for 7-foot center Withey, Self said: “All he did was set the all-time record in the history of our school in blocks and in the history of the NCAA Tournament. If Jeff gets a little bit better, little bit stronger, he can go down as one of the best big men Kansas has had not in recent memory, but the last half century. I really believe that.”

Withey appreciated the glowing remarks.

“Last year at this time, coach said I would hold the block record, get all the blocks I did. Hopefully I can make him proud and do what he said again (next season),” Withey said.

Self isn’t expecting any surprises regarding Withey and/or Johnson as far as leaving for the 2012 NBA Draft. Players have until April 29 to enter their names in the draft. However, if they wish to return to school, they’d have to withdraw from the draft pool by today.

“I think Elijah could play himself into the first round, and Jeff could play himself into the first round (in 2013 Draft),” Self said. “I don’t think it’d be in their best interests to come out now because the reality of it is, they are probably on the outside looking in.”

Withey was asked if he considered entering the draft.

“Of course,” he said, noting he hadn’t spoken to Self about the matter. “Definitely that goes through your mind. As of right now, I’m staying. I’m really happy with my decision (to stay), and I’m excited for next year.”

Recruiting: The Jayhawks, who are expected to receive a letter-of-intent from Andrew White (6-6, Chester, Va.) on Wednesday, are not finished recruiting. KU also has a spring commitment from Seattle guard Anrio Adams, who still needs to receive a qualifying score on the ACT and may wait before signing.

As far as possibly finding a point guard: “I’m hopeful we can tighten that up through recruiting in the spring. If not, I think Elijah can be your primary point. I’d like to recruit one more, without question.”

KU may play IU: ESPN reported on Monday that KU and Indiana are talking about scheduling a home-and-home series that would start in Allen Fieldhouse next season. Nothing is finalized.

Foreign tour: Self said the Jayhawks will likely take a foreign tour to someplace like Italy in August.

He said KU could play some teams that fail to qualify for the Olympics.

“If we can go in the summer and take freshmen, which is the rule, why wouldn’t we go to Italy or somewhere, play six games in eight days, do some sightseeing and actually enjoy each other?” he said.

Self on new KSU coach Bruce Weber: “Bruce is a good coach, no question. I saw firsthand what he did with those kids at Illinois (in succeeding Self). I think they are hiring a very good basketball coach.”

Comments

WeLoveOurSelf 2 years ago

I will miss Tyshawn Taylor!

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

If you have insider access, predictions by 7 analysts on unsigned prospects for 2012. Only one analyst predicts we get Parker. No one predicts we get any other prospect that are left. Nino Jackson is mentioned .. a couple say Mizzou; 3 say JUCO.

FarSideHawk 2 years ago

I think people are doubting Naadir too much. I really think he'll be getting decent minutes next year, and will be the starting point guard the following two years.

He is the perfect point guard; he was just trying too hard this year and kept making careless mistakes when he got in. He will be much better next year.

lhohman3 2 years ago

Nevermind. Just saw Nino Jackson's twitter feed and read a blog about him. Apparently (from internet indications) he's currently knee deep in the insane pool. Too bad. He could really PLAY.

lhohman3 2 years ago

Whatever happened to Nino Jackson as our future PG option? Does he still have eligibility issues or has that now been resolved? I think Nadir might have a pretty high ceiling but obviously not sure how much better he can get by next season to warrant tons of minutes. Would be great to bring in more competition for PG spot.

(very old article) According to ESPN.com affiliate www.TheShiver.com, Kansas head coach Bill Self offered class of 2012 guard Nino Jackson a scholarship on Monday.

"Coach Self told me himself that he wants me at Kansas," Jackson said. "He (Self) said he loves me and loves the way I play and wants me playing for him."

The 6-foot shooting guard has made no secret of his high interest in Kansas, wearing KU socks and sweatshirts to various AAU events. A verbal commitment may be coming soon, the junior-to-be added.

"I don't know yet," Jackson said about when he'll make his decision. "Soon though."

Jabez Harlan 2 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong; Leaving, T-Rob Taylor Teahan Jueneman

Staying, EJ Releford Withey Young Wesley Lindsay Roberts Garrett Tharpe McLemore Traylor

Coming, Ellis White Adams (?) Lucas Peters

If my math is right, KU will field 16 players for 2012-13. How many scholarships can KU offer and how many walk-ons can the team accept?

Seems to me that some players will have to leave or red-shirt to make room for the recruits Self has coming in not to mention any addtional recruits that are signed within the next week.

I would be looking for stories regarding the transfer of Christian Garrett, Merv Lindsay, and perhaps even Justin Wesley.

Sally Presson 2 years ago

Bruce Weber is a jerk!!! Sorry to see K State have to put up with him, wish Coach Martin hadn't left for the conference sake and K State's.

Miguel Colón 2 years ago

I see Nadir leaving as well as Lindsay. Just don't think he can handle major college basketball, and Lindsay was always a signee for practice.

Phoghorn 2 years ago

KU and IU should play every (caps) year (caps). To the best of my knowledge KU has never won in IU Assembly Hall, (0 and 3 I believe) and we need to right that wrong.

Two of my favorite KU games involved IU. One that featured Jacque Vaughn's 3 and the other was the 1993 regional final at the old St. Louis Arena.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years ago

I recognize Self's comments likely giving confidence to EJ for next year...and he is a 5star guy initially. While he has come far since his frosh season, to put him in the top 2 with Sherron is simply a coach-speak stretch. Putting him ahead of Chalmers, and Tyshawn? Only now was EJ finding the confidence that Tyshawn had all season. Frankly, I think the best Self-recruited combos at KU are Sherron Collins, Tyshawn Taylor, Mario Chalmers, Elijah Johnson, Russell Robinson, Josh Selby (in that order). Tyshawn gets to #2 on this list because of his senior season. Leadership, ppg, defense, rim-at-will, and his play above the rim. I will really miss the combination of TT+EJ+Relef!!!! Haven't had that since Rush+Mario+RR/Sherron...

In my friendly counterpoint about Tyshawn, let me say it another way: who wouldn't want Tyshawn to have another year of eligibility, based on this last season's play? Will absolutely miss that kid along with Thomas... RCJH

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

The point guard comment by Self stood out to me as it relates to Tharpe. "As far as possibly finding a point guard: 'I’m hopeful we can tighten that up through recruiting in the spring. If not, I think Elijah can be your primary point. I’d like to recruit one more, without question.' "

Actually, if Tharpe is in the mix, we have two point guards which is fine. Is he considering Tharpe a rotation guy? Is the addition simply a 3rd for depth? Sounds like he wants another guy for 2012-13.

But really, Self's comments beg the question of who leaves. “We are not close to being done,” Self said, not discussing specific recruits in accordance with NCAA rules. “If we get lucky late or get the right transfer, we’d certainly be open to taking them.”

We are at 13 with Wesley returning to walk-on status.

Is Lindsay or a suprise shoe about to drop? Or is Adams likely just out of the mix due to his academic issues?

REHawk 2 years ago

As for recruiting, I think we'd best brace up for another key addition, either to the 4 or 1 position. An experienced 4 would free up Perry to focus on 3. A promising 1 gives Naadir a bit more time to develop and relieve EJ to slide back and forth to the 2, in case BenMac should struggle. Six games in eight days in Italy gives our coaching staff an early look at the entire squad, with an opportunity to shuffle combinations. Yee-haw!

AsadZ 2 years ago

I really like playing IU. This would be 3 games against Big 10 schools.

I had posted earlier that we must have a tough non-conf schedule. Next year we will play Michigan St and Ohio State. I'd liked to have a game against a Big East team like Louisville or UConn or ACC team like Duke, Pitt or Syracuse.

justinryman 2 years ago

I see in the picture above that Travis is going with the Bruce Bowen look with the Bow Tie.

I guess those defensive guys have meetings and talk fashion there too.

keith horinek 2 years ago

Coach Self is very smooth. I don't quite remember things the way he described. Weber had a funeral for coach Self when he took over at Illinois and started the long decline to mediocrity of the Illinois program. I think KSU made a huge mistake in hiring him. KSU has been set back at least four years with this hire. A poor decision on the AD's part.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

What Bill really wanted to say about Bruce Weber........... "I can't wait to extend the domination over KState and now, it will be even more sweet!"

jaybate 2 years ago

•And then it became necessary to do some serious speculating on roster adds in spring from more recruits and transfers. :-)

• Dang, I thought ict had pretty well sorted this all out.

• Self's spiking enthusiasm for this spring signing period might be partly attributable to his historical optimism that strong tournament finishes as in 08 get him on more recruits' lists. It may also relate to Norm's arrival. Maybe Norm has a few in his pocket to deliver.

• Always wondered how Okie Bill and New York Norm hooked up early on. Answer: LB. The camps bring the high school coaches from the targeted recruiting areas. Norm was a high school coach in the Big Apple, where Larry was from, and needed recruits from. Bill meet Norm. Norm meet Bill. A few years later Bill takes the plunge into the then recruiting abyss of ORU. Batta Bing, batta boom!

• It must have been a hoot to see these swinging young guys--Bill and Norm-- hustling ballers to ORU with Oral Roberts finishing occasionally, when Oral wasn't out in the beach house in LA!

• Sign!

• Heal! :-)

• And old Oral, flahing a fresh Rollex, takes the two young swingin' boys aside and says somthing like, "Ya know, fellas, you get to the young men to the campus and ol'Oral will show ya how to to keep'em here. I've been putting fannies in seats a long time. People are people. Saints or sinners. We gotta get'tem in the tent before we can save'em. You young boys are lik Ol'Oral once upon a time. You know where the saints and sinners are, you're selling something you know they want and need and you can get'em to come to the tent once, but ya can't get'em to stay. Ya keep thinking: how am I going to get them to stay in my little old tent, when there are big, beautiful tabernacles out there. You bring Ol'Oral some players good enough to fill my tent, and I will show you boys how to keep'em here. And you pay attention, because it will make you rich, successful coaches someday! Its all about people, boys, about selling them what's good for them, what makes them better. Every man, woman and child wants to get better. Never forget it, boys." And he adjusts the Rollex on his wrist. "There's nothing wrong with being rich, fellas. You can hep a whole lot more people get better, if yer rich than if yer poor. I know. Now get out there and take care of your families. Bring ol'Oral some young men that can help fill this fine tent of ours."

hometownhawk 2 years ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

They didn't share the award. TT had it then turned it over to T-Rob!