Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keegan

T-Rob making best of it

Kansas junior basketball player Thomas Robinson waves to the crowd after he declared for the NBA Draft on Monday during a press conference with KU coach Bill Self and Robinson's sister Jayla, pictured at right.

Media Day, Oct. 15, 2009, Thomas Robinson sat alone on a chair on the Allen Fieldhouse floor as reporters mined bigger names such as Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Tyshawn Taylor for quotes.

It represented a rare opportunity to get a one-on-one interview, so I introduced myself and spoke with him for five or 10 minutes. I remember leaving thinking nothing about the man reminded me of a freshman in college. He sounded and looked older. I asked him what it was like growing up in the southeast quadrant of D.C.

“It’s what you make it,” he said. “Make the best of your situation. It was my mom, my little sister and me. We made the best of our situation.”

Fifteen months later, that situation took a tragic turn when in less than a month’s time Robinson lost two grandparents and then his mother. A family custody battle over his sister, Jayla, ensued. It resulted in her being with her father, James Paris, who had not long before that finished serving a prison term for distribution of a controlled substance.

Robinson kept making the best of his situation for himself and his sister. He never thought he was too smart to listen to coaches. Now here is his situation: He leaves Kansas as a three-time Big 12 champion, a first-team All-American, the best player on a team that battled all the way to a national-title game in which he motored his way to 18 points and 17 rebounds. All of that is another way of saying he’ll never leave Kansas because his No. 0 jersey will hang from the Allen Fieldhouse rafters for an eternity.

More on his situation: The education of Jayla, 9, is paid for even if she gets multiple doctorates, thanks to the generosity of Kansas basketball fans and others who contributed to her NCAA-approved education fund. Robinson will be a lottery pick in the June draft, a multi-millionaire within a couple of years.

Many a lottery pick has faded fast in the NBA, but Robinson doesn’t figure to be one of them. His greatest physical skills (strength, explosiveness and sure hands) and his greatest intangible (a strong will) happen to translate best to his best basketball skill. He’s a monster rebounder and can remain so against the world’s best competition.

If Robinson can run the floor well with more consistency and continue to improve his jumper enough to develop into a starter, you’ll see his name listed with DeMarcus Cousins and reality TV star Kris Humphries among the league’s leading rebounders.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

I've got to find something better to do with my life than posing on these boards all dang day!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Do you mean "posing" or "posting"? May be an unintentional admission there!

gchawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Slip, paging Dr. Freudian Slip.

madamhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Thomas, Thank you for choosing Kansas. I have enjoyed every minute of your three years here. You will forever be in our hearts and your legacy forever hanging in the Fieldhouse. Whatever NBA team drafts you I will become an instant fan of that franchise. Good luck and Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Dillon Davis 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't really like him being compared to Thugins and Douchenozzle Humphries but yes he will be a big time rebounder.

justinryman 2 years, 3 months ago

My thoughts exactly.

A hack who can't control his temper.

And a guy who is more famous for his 72 day marriage than his pro career.

Thomas will be better than them both!

prusso25 2 years, 3 months ago

This year will forever be known as the year of the T-rob. I am so dang proud of this guy. Hate seeing him go but this is exactly what Kansas is all about. Come in as a underrated good player and leave lottery pick.

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 3 months ago

i think its a true testament to how loyal us fans our. paying off a whole kids education just because youre a jayhawk is amazing to me. im so proud to represent KU. rock chalk!

ameraidi 2 years, 3 months ago

Best of luck in the NBA TROB....It was amazing watching you play and lead this year. Rock Chalk for LIFE!

Robert Moore 2 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob is what being a student athlete is all about, learning and getting better. He's got the skills and the smarts. Will be around the NBA a long time after Josh Shelby. May the Force be with you T-Rob.

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah, people hate on Selby like he doesn't have game. Selby will be in the NBA for a long time. People say he should have done another year of preparation here at KU. Why? He can do his year of preparation in the D-league and make 550,000 dollars doing it. Although, I do wish he would have stayed.

jjinks 2 years, 3 months ago

Get a good financial adviser and enjoy life. The best of luck to you Thomas Robinson you made us all enjoy watching you grow up a lot the last three years and it wasn't easy. I hope Bill Self stays a long time because of the way his players come through hard times and TRob had it tough.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Of all the banners hanging in AFH, yours is the one I will seek first. Am very proud of you, young man, and happy for the fame you have earned, the wealth you will soon accumulate. Please take good care of yourself and Jayla, and return to Lawrence often. There is a spirit of home for you in the Sunflower State, welcome arms and handshakes to see you through the duration. Maybe Jayla will become a Jayhawk.

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 3 months ago

We wish you and Jayla the very best Thomas. Draw close to the Lord and fellow believers to help keep you walking the right way, and your life will be blessed. Thank you for being a Jayhawk!

chaggs 2 years, 3 months ago

KU should have some criteria for an award...

Jersey hung in the rafters All American Senior (on senior night)

The reward would be a commemorative "key to the Phog". Just another way to demonstrate they are always welcome back! FOE!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

"KU should have some criteria for an award..."

Haha...ummmm, which award would that be?

Also, you can't get your jersey hung before you leave KU. TRob is an all-american. TRob will not be a senior on senior night.

So wth are you talking about?

John Randall 2 years, 3 months ago

I read his comments to mean that Thomas won't have every honor KU awards – but a pretty impressive collection anyway.

To ignore criteria (Sr Nite is for Srs) would cheapen both the award and the individual player.

BTW, we'll hear from TRob when the jersey is hung – and it is the jersey (not the number) that is retired ... both 13 and 25 are still available for active players.

dylans 2 years, 3 months ago

More like Kevin Love or Blake Griffen.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

Being a native Washingtonian and a KU Alum, I am doubly proud of T-Rob's accomplishments as he has represented both KU and DC extremely well. I can only wish him continued success and I look forward to visiting Lawrence to see "0" in the rafters at the Phog!

Sally Presson 2 years, 3 months ago

I want to thank Thomas too for choosing KU. You are one in a million, Thomas and we are all so proud of you and love you from the bottom of our hearts. I want to wish you the very best life has to offer you. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be a huge success. Your Mom is so proud of you Thomas.

Rock Chalk

KUFan90 2 years, 3 months ago

Make that "unanimous" first-team All-American!

Go get 'em T Rob!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry..I couldn't get past your avatar so I have no idea what you posted!!

Allison Steen 2 years, 3 months ago

not sure why i'm wasting my time, but are you kidding me? get out of here. go on your boards and talk about your trip to the final....64

Allison Steen 2 years, 3 months ago

for the record, buddy, your upset was the worst in tournament history, until duke did the same a few hours later. our upsets haven't reached the caliber of yours

april28 2 years, 3 months ago

2013 Recruiting: Commitment already from a top-15 player. Frankenkamp will likely move into the top 50 over the summer.

It would be difficult to imagine any fan "complaining" about Self on the way out of the arena after the NCAA championship game. Doubly-hard to believe that this idiot was at the game.

Mizzou left the Big 12 for one reason: Bill Self. With no hope of ever winning this league or matching KU's tradition, they ran to the SEC where Frank Martin will beat them regularly, Billy Donovan will beat them regularly, Kevin Stallings will beat them regularly and whoever is in charge of KY will beat them regularly. I hope Mizzou schedules some games against Maryland, North Carolina and Tulsa so those teams can also beat them.

Best team in Mizzou history. Couldn't even win the league. One and done in the tournament. Makes me smile every time I think about it. Thanks for brightening my day.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm confused....have you not looked at their non-conference games. They can't get anyone to come to Missouri to play them, that is why their schedule is 250+, but who could blame them, once we got them out of our conference we wouldn't go to Columbia to play either.

2 years, 3 months ago

$3,125.00?? Nice! That’s some big time scratch for a head driver at Dominoe’s. Glad you were able to catch up on your deliveries after returning from Zou Orleans. Perhaps with your new fortune you’ll be able to set your ’71 Pinto up with some new 20’s that don’t stop and an Alpine to front with.

Regarding our basketball program, I would like to thank you for providing us with an astute and shrewd evaluation. Most companies have to pay consulting firms dearly for such oracles of wisdom. No doubt our AD will reconsider his position on retaining Bill Self as our head coach once your revelation is presented to him, and hence will justifiably go a different direction. Perchance Quinn Snyder is available, or maybe with enough money and good fortune matching that of your wagering prowess, we could lure future Hall of Fame coach Frank Haith away from your perennial powerhouse program. All we can do is hope and pray at this juncture I suppose. ~ sigh ~

dylans 2 years, 3 months ago

Now he can set up a proper meth lab!

chaggs 2 years, 3 months ago

You won upwards of $3,125? Must have helped offset the $5,000 loss you took when Missouri lost to Norfolk State.

Alex Berger 2 years, 3 months ago

Surely this is not a real opinion...

Larry Smith 2 years, 3 months ago

"Really had to laugh when the announcers said that they were surprised to see KU get this far as they usually get beat by VCU, Northern Iowa, Bucknell, or Bradley."

You heard that while you were at the game huh? Why am I having a hard time believing that? Sounds more like something you would imagine from your double wide.

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding, he can't afford a double wide.

John Randall 2 years, 3 months ago

Besides, a double-wide is hard to hide behind a hedgerow.

shelleysue 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't even know where to start, but let's start with you are one of the reasons misery sucks. Are you serious? You lost in he first round, KU went to the title game and you're talking trash? Really? Fans are unhappy with Bill Self? We won a championship in 2008 and made it to the championship game in 2012. I'm pretty sure fans are fine with Bill. Does Perry Ellis ring a bell? McDonalds A A? So what? Bill will still get the team to a championship game without them. Your upset wasn't as bad as KUs?? Even though you all thought you'd win the championship? How much money did misery cost you on that first game? You are so stupid. I don't like to be insulting on this board but when something screams idiot trash, I can't help it. Kentucky blew an 18 point lead and was about two KU mistakes from losing that game. So ... KU was not out coached and most definitely not out classed. Any team coached by John Calapari doesn't out class any team unless they have more violations and cheating scandals than Calapari. Fans like you are the reason people hate misery. And not just KU fans. Go away and stay away.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

Norfolk State 86 - Missouri 84. Enough said.

illuminatironin 2 years, 3 months ago

The funny thing about that little white speck on the top of chicken $#t. That little white speck is chicken $#t too.

GeoHawk15 2 years, 3 months ago

Come on, this is an obvious attempt (albeit pitiful) to stir things up on these boards. Don't feed the trolls...

jdhawk1988 2 years, 3 months ago

I love that KU's "mediocre" Season is still something Miz-OUT has never done. Final four banners hang in Allen Field House, right next to our national championship banners. Only thing that hangs from your banners are cobwebs.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll admit that I am one of the people frustrated with Self. How could it possibly take him 9 season to accumulate more post season tournament wins that Mizzou has in their entire history? Another way to think of it is this......How could Self only have that many wins in post season history in 9 years when Conner Teahan has more post season wins than any player in Missouri history? Another way to think of it....Conner Teahan has played in more games in the round of 16 or further than any Mizzou player has in all round combined I believe.

Another way to think of it.....Justin Wesley has more minutes in the Final Four than every single player that has ever played for Missouri and yet all Self can do is win more games in a six year stretch than any coach in history.

Another way to think of....I am 38 years old, have a 10" to maybe 13" verticle, a jumper that goes down about 12% of the time beyond 6 feet and I have as many accumulated minutes in the Final Four as every single player that has ever graced the halls of the Paige or whatever you are calling it now and Self can only take us to two championship games in 5 years.

I could come up with more, but I am just so frustrated with Self that I don't want to continue. If we could only get a coach that could recruit and achieve like the great coaches at Mizzzou.

As the saying goes, going to Mizzou is like getting a trophy wife. Unfortunately the trophy is participant and not first place.

globehead 2 years, 3 months ago

missouricat,

I'm glad for you in winning the $3,125.00 betting against KU. It was a good bet I guess. I, however, wasn't so lucky. I lost $3,580,250.00 betting that Missouri would make it to the 2nd round. Silly me!

Shane Garrett 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Mr. Robinson, I actually feel like I know you. In a way I guess we all do. And we all wish you the best. I think a tear of joy will roll down when I look up to see your jersey through the Phog.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob misses TONS of bunnies because he still gets "sped up". He may start slow in the NBA but those misses will disappear after a couple of years. He will hear John Wooden in his sleep, "Be quick, don't hurry!" and before you know it, he'll be a double double machine again.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry but the Kris Kardashian/Demarcus Cousins references are really killing me. Why not Dwight Howard and Kevin Love?

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob will NEVER score like those guys!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

missouricat..your post drips with immaturity, self-loathing and a definite show of inferiority tendencies. So many of your previous posts were rational and always in the spirit of fair play.

You might as well brag about the length of your manhood and how many "scores" you obtained in N.O. I am very disappointed in this message from you.

1] I guess losing to the consensus number one team all season in the Championship Game by single digits with a chance to win is much worse than getting beat in round one by a school no one even knew what state they were from.

2] I guess being the 2013 preseason #8th ranked team is much worse than not being ranked at all.

3] I guess having the only consensus All-American on your team is much worse than having no first teamers at all.

4] I guess getting to the Final Four 14 times is worse than never getting there.

5] I guess having the 2012, 13th ranked recruiting class and the 2013, 3rd ranked recruiting classes is much worse than not being listed at all.

I would continue but you've have committed the ultimate posting sin...you have become boring.

shelleysue 2 years, 3 months ago

Misery got beat in the first round by a team wearing Starter jerseys.

dw3c 2 years, 3 months ago

Typical mizzou fan. I had to watch the NC game at a bar in St. Louis. There was a table of mizzou fans dressed up in blue cheering harder for UK than the 2 true UK fans that were there.

At the end of the game they started their m-i-z chant then yelled out "2nd place is the first loser"

Completely delusional

shelleysue 2 years, 3 months ago

Haha. Then what does one call misery? That is so stupid I am speechless.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 3 months ago

"So many of your previous posts were rational and always in the spirit of fair play."

Oakville, are you sure you're not confusing missouricat with MizzouBest?

MizzouBest was complimentary of KU after the Missouri loss. He was the classiest Missouri fan that's ever come around this website, and that includes Dugan Arnett and Chuck Woodling.

2 years, 3 months ago

Ah yes, where has good ol’ Doogie gone. How could anyone forget this brilliant introductory piece he penned:

From the note:

“Over the past few weeks, many of you have probably been asking yourselves the same questions: Who is this new wordsmith that keeps popping up at KUSports.com and in my morning issue of the Journal-World? Who is this handsome brunet who so effortlessly weaves metaphor and insight into his daily stories?

Some of you have probably used the word "genius." I don't blame you.”

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh crap...you are absolutely right. missouricat is a hoser through and through!! My apologies MissouriBest, wherever you are!! THX, pJH.

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

Rock Chalk T. Robinson.

Yesterday many wondered about the report about Davis being on the take. Three NCAA coaches have now come out, reporting his dad was asking for 6 figures for a commitment. Here's the meat of the story. While reading this keep in mind how close KU really was to winning our 6th National Championship the other night and how close UK was to remaining at 7.

Chicago Sun Report:

"Before Davis committed to Kentucky, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that his father, Anthony Davis, Sr. asked Kentucky for $200,000 for a commitment from his son.[52] The report was initially released on Wednesday August 4, 2010 by Sun-Times reporter Michael O'Brien.[53] Citing "a reliable source," he posted the following text "rumors/sources that have Davis choosing Kentucky are also alleging that the commitment cost $200,000." before it was edited to say "rumors that Davis' commitment is for sale have surfaced since he cut his list of schools down about a month ago." and then removed later that day from the Sun-Times' high school sports website following a threat from a University of Kentucky lawyer.[53] A Lexington, Kentucky law firm, sent a letter under the signature of attorney Stephen L. Barker, the expressed a "formal demand that you (O'Brien and the Sun-Times) withdraw the publication from any source from which it has been published, and issue an immediate statement that you know of no credible evidence indicating that there is any truth to the 'rumors' referred to in your article."[53] Baker's letter also threatened potential "punitive damages for your malicious and willful actions."[53] Anthony Davis Sr., declined to speak to the Chicago Tribune on August 4 regarding the allegation, although he denied the allegations to the Sun-Times stating "We haven't asked anyone for anything, and no one has offered us anything," on July 30 before the story broke.[53]

The article was reposted on the Sun-Times' website and included in the print edition on Friday August 6 where O'Brien wrote "sources from three separate universities told the Sun-Times that Davis Sr. asked for money in return for his son's commitment, with the amounts ranging from $125,000 to $150,000."[54][55][56] The University of Kentucky and the Davis family have both threatened to sue the Sun-Times over the article.[54][57] However, no lawsuits have been filed by Kentucky or the Davis family."

jayhwkr77 2 years, 3 months ago

I sure hope this isn't true about Davis getting paid that kind of money. He seems like a pretty down-to-earth guy.

On this note as well, I really wish KU fans would stop thinking that Bill Self does nothing wrong on the recruiting trail in contrast to the other coaches that are getting caught. If Self was doing nothing wrong, we would not have had the talent to play in the title game last Monday night.

College sports (especially the money-makers) are a very dirty game. It's a matter of picking your spots, and knowing when to get out of the lime-light before you get caught.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

There's a word describing this kind of reasoning but it eludes me at present. Specious? "Cockamamie" will have to suffice for now.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure there was money exchanging hands to get the likes of Kevin Young, Wesley, Conner Teahan probably cost a fortune. If I'm not mistaken Thomas Robinson would have got a hefty recruiting tag. If it really comes down to it, I think Tyshawn and Elijah would have been the two highest recruits on our team. Personally, I think that Coach Self knows his coaching abilities are much better than most high school coaches, so he likes getting some raw talent and molding it into NBA talent. Just my personal opinion.

Vroo 2 years, 3 months ago

Some cheaters are winners. Therefore, all winners are cheaters.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong_di... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_di...

And if those are over your head, http://xkcd.com/552/

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope Jayla grows up to be a monster rebounder like her brother, and still loves the Jayhawks...