Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keegan

T-Rob making best of it

Kansas junior basketball player Thomas Robinson waves to the crowd after he declared for the NBA Draft on Monday during a press conference with KU coach Bill Self and Robinson's sister Jayla, pictured at right.

Media Day, Oct. 15, 2009, Thomas Robinson sat alone on a chair on the Allen Fieldhouse floor as reporters mined bigger names such as Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Tyshawn Taylor for quotes.

It represented a rare opportunity to get a one-on-one interview, so I introduced myself and spoke with him for five or 10 minutes. I remember leaving thinking nothing about the man reminded me of a freshman in college. He sounded and looked older. I asked him what it was like growing up in the southeast quadrant of D.C.

“It’s what you make it,” he said. “Make the best of your situation. It was my mom, my little sister and me. We made the best of our situation.”

Fifteen months later, that situation took a tragic turn when in less than a month’s time Robinson lost two grandparents and then his mother. A family custody battle over his sister, Jayla, ensued. It resulted in her being with her father, James Paris, who had not long before that finished serving a prison term for distribution of a controlled substance.

Robinson kept making the best of his situation for himself and his sister. He never thought he was too smart to listen to coaches. Now here is his situation: He leaves Kansas as a three-time Big 12 champion, a first-team All-American, the best player on a team that battled all the way to a national-title game in which he motored his way to 18 points and 17 rebounds. All of that is another way of saying he’ll never leave Kansas because his No. 0 jersey will hang from the Allen Fieldhouse rafters for an eternity.

More on his situation: The education of Jayla, 9, is paid for even if she gets multiple doctorates, thanks to the generosity of Kansas basketball fans and others who contributed to her NCAA-approved education fund. Robinson will be a lottery pick in the June draft, a multi-millionaire within a couple of years.

Many a lottery pick has faded fast in the NBA, but Robinson doesn’t figure to be one of them. His greatest physical skills (strength, explosiveness and sure hands) and his greatest intangible (a strong will) happen to translate best to his best basketball skill. He’s a monster rebounder and can remain so against the world’s best competition.

If Robinson can run the floor well with more consistency and continue to improve his jumper enough to develop into a starter, you’ll see his name listed with DeMarcus Cousins and reality TV star Kris Humphries among the league’s leading rebounders.

Comments

Eliott Reeder 2 years ago

I hope Jayla grows up to be a monster rebounder like her brother, and still loves the Jayhawks...

JayHok 2 years ago

Rock Chalk T. Robinson.

Yesterday many wondered about the report about Davis being on the take. Three NCAA coaches have now come out, reporting his dad was asking for 6 figures for a commitment. Here's the meat of the story. While reading this keep in mind how close KU really was to winning our 6th National Championship the other night and how close UK was to remaining at 7.

Chicago Sun Report:

"Before Davis committed to Kentucky, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that his father, Anthony Davis, Sr. asked Kentucky for $200,000 for a commitment from his son.[52] The report was initially released on Wednesday August 4, 2010 by Sun-Times reporter Michael O'Brien.[53] Citing "a reliable source," he posted the following text "rumors/sources that have Davis choosing Kentucky are also alleging that the commitment cost $200,000." before it was edited to say "rumors that Davis' commitment is for sale have surfaced since he cut his list of schools down about a month ago." and then removed later that day from the Sun-Times' high school sports website following a threat from a University of Kentucky lawyer.[53] A Lexington, Kentucky law firm, sent a letter under the signature of attorney Stephen L. Barker, the expressed a "formal demand that you (O'Brien and the Sun-Times) withdraw the publication from any source from which it has been published, and issue an immediate statement that you know of no credible evidence indicating that there is any truth to the 'rumors' referred to in your article."[53] Baker's letter also threatened potential "punitive damages for your malicious and willful actions."[53] Anthony Davis Sr., declined to speak to the Chicago Tribune on August 4 regarding the allegation, although he denied the allegations to the Sun-Times stating "We haven't asked anyone for anything, and no one has offered us anything," on July 30 before the story broke.[53]

The article was reposted on the Sun-Times' website and included in the print edition on Friday August 6 where O'Brien wrote "sources from three separate universities told the Sun-Times that Davis Sr. asked for money in return for his son's commitment, with the amounts ranging from $125,000 to $150,000."[54][55][56] The University of Kentucky and the Davis family have both threatened to sue the Sun-Times over the article.[54][57] However, no lawsuits have been filed by Kentucky or the Davis family."

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

missouricat..your post drips with immaturity, self-loathing and a definite show of inferiority tendencies. So many of your previous posts were rational and always in the spirit of fair play.

You might as well brag about the length of your manhood and how many "scores" you obtained in N.O. I am very disappointed in this message from you.

1] I guess losing to the consensus number one team all season in the Championship Game by single digits with a chance to win is much worse than getting beat in round one by a school no one even knew what state they were from.

2] I guess being the 2013 preseason #8th ranked team is much worse than not being ranked at all.

3] I guess having the only consensus All-American on your team is much worse than having no first teamers at all.

4] I guess getting to the Final Four 14 times is worse than never getting there.

5] I guess having the 2012, 13th ranked recruiting class and the 2013, 3rd ranked recruiting classes is much worse than not being listed at all.

I would continue but you've have committed the ultimate posting sin...you have become boring.

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 2 years ago

I'm sorry but the Kris Kardashian/Demarcus Cousins references are really killing me. Why not Dwight Howard and Kevin Love?

Mike Barnhart 2 years ago

T-Rob misses TONS of bunnies because he still gets "sped up". He may start slow in the NBA but those misses will disappear after a couple of years. He will hear John Wooden in his sleep, "Be quick, don't hurry!" and before you know it, he'll be a double double machine again.

Shane Garrett 2 years ago

Thanks Mr. Robinson, I actually feel like I know you. In a way I guess we all do. And we all wish you the best. I think a tear of joy will roll down when I look up to see your jersey through the Phog.

missouricat 2 years ago

Well, it took a while to get back but, had a lot of work to get done after the UK and KU game, if you want to call it that. Ku completely out classed and out coached, kinda make Ku look like a team that shouldn't have been there. Many more teams that deserved to be in the finals, still they wouldn't have won either but, would have been a better game.

Still did pretty good with the bets with the hawk fans, they sure like to lose their money. I think I cleaned up pretty close to $3,125.00 not bad, KU fans, just easy money from them. A lot of KU fans not happy with Bill Self, as we were leaving the arena, many fans were saying how unhappy they were with Self as coach. They would like to see a change as he is not producing and not recruiting top notch players as McDonald All Americans. Recruiting as gone down hill as the experts have been saying. No real good players are even looking at KU. Looks like Ku basketball has hit bad times. Really had to laugh when the announcers said that they were surprised to see KU get this far as they usually get beat by VCU, Northern Iowa, Bucknell, or Bradley. Yes, we got upset, but not like KU does. Over all a profitable trip with the bets and the best team(great recruiting class) and the best coach won. We have a great adventure ahead of us, so we can't wait. Only the best get better and the mediocre (KU) same the same.

KUFan90 2 years ago

Make that "unanimous" first-team All-American!

Go get 'em T Rob!

Sally Presson 2 years ago

I want to thank Thomas too for choosing KU. You are one in a million, Thomas and we are all so proud of you and love you from the bottom of our hearts. I want to wish you the very best life has to offer you. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be a huge success. Your Mom is so proud of you Thomas.

Rock Chalk

Clarence Haynes 2 years ago

Being a native Washingtonian and a KU Alum, I am doubly proud of T-Rob's accomplishments as he has represented both KU and DC extremely well. I can only wish him continued success and I look forward to visiting Lawrence to see "0" in the rafters at the Phog!

chaggs 2 years ago

KU should have some criteria for an award...

Jersey hung in the rafters All American Senior (on senior night)

The reward would be a commemorative "key to the Phog". Just another way to demonstrate they are always welcome back! FOE!

Steve Yeakel 2 years ago

We wish you and Jayla the very best Thomas. Draw close to the Lord and fellow believers to help keep you walking the right way, and your life will be blessed. Thank you for being a Jayhawk!

REHawk 2 years ago

Of all the banners hanging in AFH, yours is the one I will seek first. Am very proud of you, young man, and happy for the fame you have earned, the wealth you will soon accumulate. Please take good care of yourself and Jayla, and return to Lawrence often. There is a spirit of home for you in the Sunflower State, welcome arms and handshakes to see you through the duration. Maybe Jayla will become a Jayhawk.

jjinks 2 years ago

Get a good financial adviser and enjoy life. The best of luck to you Thomas Robinson you made us all enjoy watching you grow up a lot the last three years and it wasn't easy. I hope Bill Self stays a long time because of the way his players come through hard times and TRob had it tough.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

Main thing....stay healthy!

Robert Moore 2 years ago

T-Rob is what being a student athlete is all about, learning and getting better. He's got the skills and the smarts. Will be around the NBA a long time after Josh Shelby. May the Force be with you T-Rob.

ameraidi 2 years ago

Best of luck in the NBA TROB....It was amazing watching you play and lead this year. Rock Chalk for LIFE!

STLJayhawk10 2 years ago

i think its a true testament to how loyal us fans our. paying off a whole kids education just because youre a jayhawk is amazing to me. im so proud to represent KU. rock chalk!

prusso25 2 years ago

This year will forever be known as the year of the T-rob. I am so dang proud of this guy. Hate seeing him go but this is exactly what Kansas is all about. Come in as a underrated good player and leave lottery pick.

Dillon Davis 2 years ago

Don't really like him being compared to Thugins and Douchenozzle Humphries but yes he will be a big time rebounder.

madamhawk 2 years ago

Thomas, Thank you for choosing Kansas. I have enjoyed every minute of your three years here. You will forever be in our hearts and your legacy forever hanging in the Fieldhouse. Whatever NBA team drafts you I will become an instant fan of that franchise. Good luck and Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

I've got to find something better to do with my life than posing on these boards all dang day!