Originally published April 9, 2012 at 11:43a.m., updated April 10, 2012 at 12:01a.m.

Thomas Robinson declares for NBA Draft

Kansas junior basketball player Thomas Robinson, declares for the NBA Draft on Monday during a press conference with KU coach Bill Self and Robinson's sister Jayla, left.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Thomas Robinson and KU coach Bill Self

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson and KU coach Bill Self talk during a press conference on Monday, April 9, 2012, when Robinson announced he would be declaring himself eligible for the NBA Draft.

Download podcast

Kansas University junior basketball forward Thomas Robinson glanced lovingly at his sister, Jayla, who flew in from Washington, D.C., Monday to spend her ninth birthday with her big brother.

What will Thomas buy his little sister with his first fat, guaranteed NBA contract next season?

“Whatever she wants,” Thomas said. “I really don’t know. I’m just happy I have that option, and I don’t have to worry about anything anymore for the most part.”

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Robinson — with coach Bill Self to his left and Jayla to his right — announced at a news conference Monday he’d be entering the 2012 NBA Draft, where he’s expected to be a top-five pick.

“It means a lot, and it was a last-minute thing,” Robinson said of Jayla’s being in town. “Today is her birthday. She is 9 years old so she should be able to remember this one pretty well.”

Robinson, who was embraced by Jayhawk Nation following the death of his and Jayla’s mom, Lisa, during January of 2011, said it’s tough to express how much KU fans mean to him.

“I have been up all night trying to come up with a thank-you note or something to show my appreciation, but I couldn’t get anything out because I think it is beyond words what this program meant to me and how much support I felt coming from my situation,” Robinson said. “Even when I arrived on campus, somehow, some way, everybody makes each player feel special here.

“It is going to be hard leaving, and I am going to miss my teammates, the coaching staff, the fans and just the town, period, but this puts me in a situation to take care of my family — my little sister.”

Robinson, who said he’ll soon begin the process of finding an agent, said he’ll especially miss “just being able to walk around campus and getting that feeling that everybody loves you. That and probably the pregame talks with coach Self saying the same thing he says before every game, but saying it 100 miles per hour, and I can’t hear it. Running through the tunnel … just certain things like that, which I won’t be able to get back.”

There were plenty of smiles and jokes at a news conference which Self said was held on a “glorious day.”

“In all honesty, I have known this would happen since last summer,” Self said. “I’ve said publicly at times that our goal is to put him in a position where this would possibly be the case. There is no shot that he would, but even if he would after careful deliberation tell me he wanted to come back, I would strongly encourage him not to. This is the best time for him. He has done everything plus some that we could have ever expected him to give to our program — both as a player and as an ambassador. He is a guy who is probably as loved as anybody who has played here in a long, long time, and I think that the entire Jayhawk Nation should see this as a great day for everybody.

“More so with Thomas than any other player who has played here, I think Kansas looks at Thomas as one of their very own because they watched him grow up right before their eyes,” Self added. “He said all along that his mission was to put himself in a position to take care of his family and to take care of Jayla, and I think he has earned a right to do so.”

Self said Robinson has a chance to be the highest-drafted player he’s tutored. Deron Williams of Illinois was a No. 3 overall pick in the 2005 Draft.

“I think Thomas has put himself in a position to be in the lower-end of the top five. Hopefully he can impress enough in the workouts to go higher,” Self said. “To me, more than anything is to put himself in a position to show what he can do. He has some things that you can’t teach or can’t coach, but he still has so much that he can learn. I think he will be a hugely successful NBA player.”

Robinson — who said he would “be a workhorse and I am going to do what everybody else is not going to want to do” — indicated he would attain his college degree in accordance with his mom’s wishes.

“Definitely. I’m not that many hours away, and with the help of our academic advisors here, it should be no problem. As far as the degree, that’s something my mother would want me to get, so I’ll definitely have to find the time to come back and get that,” he said.

He’s not sure when he’ll begin working out for the draft.

“Everything is all new to me right now,” he said, “so I don’t have a schedule, but I do know that I’ll have to be in the gym like I’ve never been in it before to try to train my mind and my body to help me get ready for what’s about to come.”

Comments

Carter Patterson 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks TRob. You are an amazing player and person. Can't wait to see your number hang in the rafters.

Yogi 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations TRobb! Thanks for the memories and I'll be proud to watch you succeed in the NBA. In the hearts and minds of Jayhawk Nation you will always be a Champion.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulation Thomas, we'll all miss you. Thanks for choosing Kansas, now it's time to support your sister.

Dennis Marshall 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the majical run you helped with this year T Rob you will be missed but do understand there is another purpose in your life and that is to help take care of your sister. Family is most important even thou the Jayhawk family wishes we could have your just 1 more year. Best of luck to your and your future, Boo Hoo

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Kentucky very well could be next if the NCAA moves fast enough. They now know the name of one of the two coaches who went on the record discussing Davis' dad asking for $150K for a commitment. Now all they have to do is track down Davis' connections who discussed Davis' dad accepting $200K from a person affiliated with Kentucky. Whomever wrote the articles in the Chicago paper, please present your information to the NCAA. If the NCAA is allowed, looking into the Davis family bank accounts could shed some light on the situation. Calipari was desperate and knew he wasn't winning anything possibly ever without Davis.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

Could fuel Calipari's jump to the NBA (i.e., NY Knicks).

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

The NCAA does not have the cajones to actually strip a current champion, the action would confirm that they have absolutely zero control of the situation.

They only strip wins if either A) you didn't win the title, or B) you are a little guy that doesn't have blueblood money behind you. You are doubly boned if you are both A and B (ask Memphis and Massachusettes).

Sadly, Calipari has finally arrived at a school where his methods will be met with minimal slaps on the wrist.

Couple that with Kentucky being the premier basketball school in the Cash Cow Conference, the NCAA might as well just bury their heads in the sand.

Now Baylor.... That is a different story. The University of Texas and Texas A&M don't like losing to their in-state religious school brethren who suddenly learned how to cheat really well... Just ask SMU.

pitt_in_mo 2 years, 7 months ago

Looking for a link to this article. Can't seem to find it online.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

My bad, did you mean the Anthony Davis payout?

It was reported by the Chicago Sun Times, here is a link:

Funny how it all just went away. Like nothing ever happened.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

I just knew this day would come. No way in hell Baylor lures top-notch talent to Waco without be shady! I'm sure the NCAA will uncover more skeletons once they look deeper.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Waco is in the middle of nowhere. It makes Manhattan, KS look like... well.. Manhattan.

Even assuming Baylor is in the middle of paradise doesnt it strike everyone and anyone as a little odd that a school with no great tradition to speak of and facilities which, by D-I (and even Big 12) standards is probably in the bottom 1/3rd manages to get these NBA draft pick types. Why wouldnt A&M or UT or ... anyone else be getting these guys?

Let me add however that the byzantine rules of the NCAA are a bit hard to get worked up over in my mind. So im not to ate up unless theres significant eligibility issues being thrown around. This doesnt sound like that. We'll see.

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 7 months ago

i have a theory on why we dont get all of the top recruits. maybe because when bill, town, dooley and manning (used to) call or meet with these kids, the parents would say "it'll take about 200k for my son to play there." then our recruiters hang up and say "no thanks"

Chris1955 2 years, 7 months ago

I live in Houston, TX. On talk radio the day after the Championship Game, the radio sports jockey on AM 790 set up the basis on one hour's worth of rambling on the Kentucky vs. Kansas match up. His premise was: "Was this the triumph of evil over good"?

Unfortunately, I didnt have an opportunity to listen to listen any further. I just smiled and got out of my car and went back to work.

cobweb 2 years, 7 months ago

Anybody can do well if you don't mind lying and cheating. We do it the right way. Congratulations Coach, Thomas and all the Jayhawks.

Jrb09g 2 years, 7 months ago

Can't wait to see his jersey in the rafters at AFH

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 7 months ago

I can't think of a more deserving person and player then T-Rob to play in the NBA with all of the adversity he has had to overcome.

rockchalkchampionship 2 years, 7 months ago

Never been more happy to see a player leave KU early. Not only did we win our 8th straight conference title this season because he came back for his junior year, but there's no way we make a run to the NCAA title game without him. There will be a 2012 Final Four Banner in Allen Fieldhouse forever, thanks in large part to T-Rob. Rock Chalk!

zipplus10 2 years, 7 months ago

You are right, TRob, everybody does love you. Thanks for memories! Now go live your dream!

JHawk06 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for everything Mr. Robinson!!!

I hope one day he comes back and helps with the program. -I think he will

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

congrats TRob! You deserve it for sure! thanks for all of your wonderful contributions to the KU program....go tear 'em up in the league!

Mike Hamilton 2 years, 7 months ago

There was not even a decision to be made, so obvious. Best wishes on a successful, prosperous and healthy NBA career and a wonderful future!! You are a class act.

Fatty_McButterpants 2 years, 7 months ago

You're a star player at one of the most storied college basketball programs in the nation; everyone on campus did love you. You guys are treated like living gods...

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 years, 7 months ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've never been happier to see a young man leave KU early. I will forever be a fan of Thomas Robinson!

rick cowley 2 years, 7 months ago

Thomas, you have been great on the court and off. You will always be one of my favorite Hawks. Good luck with the NBA.

HAWKTOPIA 2 years, 7 months ago

KU Basketball, the gift that keeps on giving. "You are welcome Kentucky, and North Carolina." All Basketball runs through the University of Kansas. Onwward and upward TROB, thanks for the memories, i am sure you will make us all proud as we follow your future in the NBA.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 7 months ago

I love you TRob! Just remember, having millions of dollars doesn't mean you don't have to worry about finances anymore (see Antione Walker). Congrats, but be smart and remember that Jayla needs your love more than riches (remember how Coach Self loved you enough to not baby/spoil you!). That said, I am so happy for you! You deserve this!

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

jesse – great advice on both points!

• Manage each million$ like it was the only one you'll ever have.

• Remember 'tough love' is the kind that makes us better people, don't give in to the temptation to provide 'things' when discipline would be the greater gift.

jhawk613 2 years, 7 months ago

lenny dykstra says "something about this advice doesn't sound right..."

FarSideHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

On aside...Norm Roberts is rejoining the staff as expected (at least I expected it!) Let the NY pipeline start pumping again.

Hail_To_Thee 2 years, 7 months ago

Best news of the year in my book.

It has been such an honor to have Thomas represent our great Hawk nation the past three years. Too often fans let their selfishness cloud their vision of what is right for these kids. In my opinion, there has never been a more deserving individual on a KU roster then TRob.

Mr Robinson, go get what is so rightfully yours my friend. You have made every single person related to KU VERY proud. Now its time to take care of what the entire nation knows you will take care of. God Speed Thomas, and may he bless you with an All Star career in the NBA.

To Jayla, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing us to keep your brother after the tragedies of last year. You my dear are an angel in disguise and your big bro has proven that to us all. I dont think people realize how easy it would have been for your brother to return home last year to take care of his "baby sister". But because of you, your brother had more drive then anyone else that stepped foot on the hardwood this year. Its because of you that Thomas is where he is at today, and I thank you for sharing him with us.

The Robinson family will ALWAYS have a special place in the heart of the Jayhawk Nation. One of the best big men to ever put on a Kansas jersey. Thank you Thomas. Thank you.

RJ King 2 years, 7 months ago

Had trouble reading the last of your post. It seems you used the underwater font. Well said!

Miguel Colón 2 years, 7 months ago

Im a dude and I LOVE T ROB!! U and Danny will always be may favorites!

RockChalk1225 2 years, 7 months ago

Hope he keeps that fire as he heads to the NBA. I see his career being somewhat like his time at KU. Start coming off the bench and giving great energy. Eventually parlay that into a starting role, hopefully for a playoff team someday. Also, I hope they retire his jersey next year. Selfishly, I wanted to hear his senior day speech. Would have been one of the greats I have a feeling. My favorite was Darnell Jackson and Robs would have been similar I think. I will be in the Fieldhouse the day they hang #0. Thanks for all you did while on Mt Oread. Rock Chalk TRob

Timmay97 2 years, 7 months ago

Let's not forget what T-Rob has given to KU. Not only did he dominate this year in college basketball, but he waited a full 2 years to REALLY show what he's made of. This kid has sacrificed SO much for the good of this university and himself.

There is not ONE KU player (Hinrich would come closest) that deserves what he's about to get more than Mr. Robinson.

I vote T-Rob on the cover of EA's March Madness 2013 next year.

PAjayhawk22 2 years, 7 months ago

unfortunately there wont be a March Madness game anymore. ESPN bought rights to all NCAA basketball games and claim the NCAA is asking for too much money and ESPN isnt making enough profit and there's supposedly not a large enough market to produce the game anymore. its all baloney

David Reed 2 years, 7 months ago

T-Rob for three years you have repersented KU with class and honor.I am so extremely proud of the man you have become.You were dealt a hand I would'nt wish on my worst enemy and yet you came through that stronger then ever.FOE T-Rob you and Jayla will ALWAYS be a part of the Jayhawk family

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Absolute best of luck to you, TRob. You are the epitome of a Jayhawk, and we could never thank you enough for pouring your heart and soul onto that hardwood day in a day out. You're a member of the extended Jayhawk family, and you have millions around the country pulling for you.

Rock Chalk, TRob. We'll see you in a couple of years when your number is hung up there with Wilt.

prusso25 2 years, 7 months ago

Throughout this season, I always thought that the #1 most important goal was to keep T-rob healthy. If he blew his knee out and could not support his sister, that would be awful. We made a great run and he will most likely be a top 4 pick. Great season!

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Isn't it a little degrading to imply that only an NBA career would enable TRob to provide for Jayla? He is man enough to accomplish any number of things, and I'm glad for him to get a chance at what he has pursued for most of his young life, but wouldn't write him off at anything he put his heart and drive into.

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 7 months ago

uh he does not need another year in college. he's maxed out his learning curve in the college game. depending on where he's drafted he could start right away but it just depends. he's been one of the most ready guys in a while

manunitedjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Are you an NBA GM or coach? The NBA is in dire need of a guy who is going to rebound night in and night out. Look at the guys body for goodness sakes, he is a monster, his physique alone will allow him to contribute immediately. Almost all rookies "will be on the bench" their first year anyway. Look at Derrick Williams, he is like 9-10 on the depth chart with the T-Wolves. I think Thomas will find himself playing substantial minutes and be a leading candidate for ROY in the NBA. Want to doubt Thomas? All you have to do is look what he did to the doubters this year at the collegiate level.

RJ King 2 years, 7 months ago

Another year in college and T-Robb would only face more of the same. Riding the bench will allow him to practice and scrimmage man to man against NBA starters - the same way he did in college with the Morri. Surely that is more beneficial to his career than spending another year passing out of double and triple teams.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Dear Bill Self,

Some anonymous yahoo on the internet, with the alias "Maxhawk", says T-Rob shoulda stayed. Bill, you should have listened to Maxhawk. He has internet access, a keyboard, and fingers. Thus, he oozes credibility. You are a fool for not listening to listening to Maxhawk's wisdom. For example, take a look at Maxhawk's impenetrable argument for why T-Rob needs another year in college:

"Needs another year, will be on the bench in the NBA"

Bill, Maxhawk makes a phenomenal point built on true premises and sound reasoning. It's an airtight argument. But sadly, it falls on deaf ears. T-Rob obviously needs to come back another year, because (A) there's zero chance he'd get injured, (B) T-Rob's draft stock has nowhere to go but UP, and (C) rookies who see the bench always go on to have horrible NBA careers.

T-Rob deserved better advice, and you dropped the ball on this one... big time. Mark my words: you will soon be fired for your selfish, irresponsible, and incompetent mishandling of Thomas Robinson.

Sincerely, The Word's Dumbest Sports Fan

hawksfan816 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks T-ROB for all youve done the past 3 years and good luck in the NBA I'll be watching rooting for you even if you become a Laker but please try to not make that happen if you can lol. ROCK CHALK T-ROB!!!

southwindjay 2 years, 7 months ago

We all enjoyed you and we all will miss you but you will always be part of the family!

Best wishes always!

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

How the heck do you come from not starting, playing only a few foul-prone minutes a game, overcoming two deaths in the family and become a top-five NBA pick in one year? If written as a story for Hollywood, people would laugh it off as "too Disney". It may not quite be "Blind Side" but it's pretty darn close.

What a story. What a year. What a great young man.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

Make that three deaths in the family.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 7 months ago

Sad to see you go, happy to see you succeed, grateful that I got to watch you grow for three years, proud of the terrific man and player you've become.

Jayhawk Nation wishes you all the best, T-Rob!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Thomas for everything you've done for Kansas!

You have represented yourself, your school and your team in exemplary fashion the whole time you've been here.

I've been outspoken about my desire for players to stay four years and graduate, but this is the right thing to do.

I'm proud of you and happy for you and look forward to seeing great things from you in the NBA.

God bless you and thanks again for the past three years!!

ccarp 2 years, 7 months ago

It feels like everyone loves you, because we do. :-) Best of luck to you, T-Rob. Jayhawk nation is proud of how you represented the program. We are honored to watch you mature during your time as an active Jayhawk. Your induction to the rafters will be a very special moment in the near future. I hope that we see you back before then! Go get'em TRob.

F.O.E.

JHWK 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, TRob!! It has been a pleasure watching you grow as a basketball player, but mostly as a great big brother, and role model! You typify what we would like our reputation to be to the non-Jayhawk public. You were at KU during your time of need, and your university and the alumni rallied around you. May we do that for any student. We will miss you, and we'll always be here for you. Wherever you play, Jayhawk faithful will let you know we love you!
Finish those few hours over the next few summers, buddy! Always Rock Chalk!

gchawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Thomas, and thanks for all your hard work. Your personal losses, while being sad, still had some very positive affects as it proved how tight-knit and supportive the Jayhawk Nation is. I wish for you the very best in the future, you've earned it.

VaJay 2 years, 7 months ago

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson Jayhawks love you more than you will know (Wo, Wo, Wo) Keep dunking please Mr. Robinson, The NBA holds a place for those who play (Hey, Hey, Hey, ... Hey, Hey, Hey)

John Hamm 2 years, 7 months ago

I sure hate to see him go but understand he has to do what's right for him and his sister at this point in time. Wishing the best of possible futures!

Ethan Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

I AM SHOCKED. I did not see this coming. They should require him to get a degree because somehow a degree will help him in his career in basketball.

(note, this was sarcastic)

Ethan Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

a coward who hides behind a post. real classy, grow up pal.

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

Read your last 20+ posts, all failures. You should have quit posting long ago. h00loz, loz!

Shane Garrett 2 years, 7 months ago

My heart breaks and tears of joy flow down my face, for you Mr. Robinson. Thank You. Best wishes for you and yours.

MorganR 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for all of the wonderful memories -Including how you cared for your little sister under such tragic circumstances..You are an inspiration to us all. I wish you great success and happiness. I hope, as part of your success, you will continue your education.

fansincewilt 2 years, 7 months ago

TRob joins the all-time greats at Kansas University. I believe he will be the greatest NBA player to enter the draft since Paul Pierce.

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

The Jayhawks are losing one of their best warriors, ever. But KU's loss is the NBA's gain. I mentioned in a recent post that zagsblog.com had an article written by Andy Katz, that Davis was the only 'prize' in this year's NBA draft. That everyone else will turn out to be backup players. Give it some time and we'll so who turns out to be the better of the two, TRob or Anthony Davis. I think Davis is in for a rude awakening when he plays in the league. While TRob, who had to battle double and triple teams all year, is going to prove the so-called experts wrong. Thomas met and overcame every challenge he faced while at KU. Outplaying Davis in the league, could be another. I think he'll meet it head-on. >A huge congratulations to TRob and good luck with everything in the future. Always a fan. Aloha and Mahalo!!!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Alohahawk - I appreciate your zeal, and I felt much like you until the NC game. Even though Davis was held to very few points, I was very impressed with his overall game and athletic ability. I can't say that I LIKE him necessarily, but I think he will do very well at the next level.

I do agree that Thomas will be a force to be reckoned with ! RCJH.

FLJHK 2 years, 7 months ago

Incredible strength, dignity, courage, tenacity, toughness, class = TRob. Thank you Mr. Robinson, for being a Jayhawk.

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

Robinson tweeted this out after his press conference:

thomas robinsonþ@Trobinson0

thank u jayhawk nation for remaining the best support system anyone could ask for during my time here #4evajayhawk F.O.E it's been real

BleedCnB 2 years, 7 months ago

Congrats on your decision Thomas, you are keeping a promise that you made to your mom

"Mom, I guarantee you have no worries about Jayla. I will make sure everything is okay. I won’t blink. My promise.

Love, Earl"

Never Blink Thomas, Go make a great life for you and Jayla,

Forever a Jayhawk!!!

dtdjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Thomas and thank you for taking us with you on your amazing journey. Players come and go and we may love them all but I think it is safe to say that Thomas Robinson has a special place in all of our hearts. We watched him develop and grow, not only as a basketball player, but as a man right in front of our eyes. He will be one of the most loved and memorable Jayhawks of all time. He may not be wearing a KU jersey next year but he will always be a Jayhawk and will always be a part of our family. I can't wait to see you back on the court in the Fieldhouse when your jersey is hanging in the rafters and then hopefully in another Legends game. You are a Kansas Legend, one of the BEST.

FOE

KansasComet 2 years, 7 months ago

Thomas Robinson is the man! Thanks for everything and then some!!

brooksmd 2 years, 7 months ago

"It almost felt like everybody loves you,"

Thomas, we do love you. And Kayla. Congratulations big guy and all the best. I really don't care for the league, but I will keep an eye on it just to cheer you on. Thanks for a FAN-tastic season. Love ya man. RCJHGKU!!!

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

Take care of yourself, take care of your family.

The NBA is hard work, it is a job, it is a fun job, but it is still a job. The guys that stay around are both talented and hard working. God gave you the talent, you just have to pencil in the hard work.

Good luck, and thanks for the memories.

nwhawkfan 2 years, 7 months ago

This was the day that I was dreading, and looking forward to, at the same time.

As a Jayhawk fan, I selfishly wanted to keep T-Rob at KU one more year for another run at the title.

As a human being, I know that providing for your family trumps all, or as Thomas puts it, F.O.E.

Thanks, Thomas. God bless, and fare well.

JHAWKNPHX 2 years, 7 months ago

Go gettem TROB!! Thanks for everything!!

greg robinson 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Thomas. You and DJack favorite Jayhawks ever. The best for you and Jayla.

DDDHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations, Thomas! And Happy Birthday, Jayla! We wish you both great happiness in the future!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

As far as I'm concerned you are the Player of the Year that didn't get paid!!!!!

Best wishes TRob..it's been a pleasure posting about you for three years.

Please try not to let that black hole of sports titled the NBA swallow you up!!!

fancy80 2 years, 7 months ago

Best Wishes T-Rob. This is indeed a happy day for Jayhawk Nation. Thank you for your blood, sweat, and tears, and for representing the Jayhawk Nation in the manner you have. You are an inspiration to us all. Keep your eye on the big picture (Jayla), and all will be well. FOE...

sundancewierdo 2 years, 7 months ago

Well done! Rock Chalk! So I'll find out after the draft which NBA team I'll be rooting for. We're already really proud of you, and I hope you have continued success...

DCLawHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations T-Rob! Jayhawks nation will always love you and Jayla wherever you end up in the NBA. For Jayla's sake, I hope it's the Wizards. And if she ever wants a play date in DC, I'm sure my 9 year old Jayhawks fan would love that.

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

I've started writing, deleted, and restarted writing this post about six or seven times now, because I don't quite know how to put my pride, admiration, respect and joy for Thomas Robinson into words. He's given Kansas everything he had for three years and has not only earned the opportunity to play in the NBA, but has put himself in optimal position to do so.

I feel like Coach Self, who said today that he would have urged Robinson to go pro, had he told him that he wanted to stay. This is the best time for Robinson to leave--he has the attention and respect of NBA scouts/GMs, he's close enough to finishing his degree that a guy with his dedication will easily finish it through continuing education. And once you get yourself into the top five draft picks, you're really playing with fire to go back to school for another year. Injury, of course, is one obvious risk. Another is the fickle nature of NBA talent-seekers. Maybe Robinson comes back and has another great season, but Kansas struggles more and doesn't have the magical run that they did this year, so by comparison, his "stock" might seem tarnished, and he could slip a few slots, which is lots of money, with fairly little room for improvement even if he did come back and go bonkers to get the overall #1 draft pick next year.

As far as his NBA prospects go, I think his ceiling is multiple-time All-Star. His best skill is rebounding, and he is ELITE; good enough to give himself a reason to stick in the league until he finishes out some of the elements of his game we saw hints of this season. Ballhandling ability, jumpshooting being the main two. Even if he doesn't ever develop those other areas to the point where he can be a go-to scoring threat, he is a good enough rebounder that he will make a career out of it, either as a first-off-the-bench player, or as a roleplaying starter for the right team.

Either way, he will be one of the hardest working people in the NBA, I believe.

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson.

Shawn Otrimble 2 years, 7 months ago

There is no way he should stay. Why risk a career ending injury. It's time to get paid Mr. Robinson. With all of what life has thrown at you. I lost both my parents the same year as he lost his grandparents and mother. All I can say is thank you Mr. Robinson I am forever in debt to you. When I would start to feel sorry for myself, I would remind myself of what you must feel at your age and being so far from home and it made me toughen up. I talked with you for about 30 minutes one day in the Cave and you were incredibly nice and sincere. All I can say is God Bless you and thank you for everything. You will always have a home in Lawrence.

Catski1 2 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck to you and your sister T-Rob. The Jayhawk Nation wishes the best for you. I'm sure you'll light the NBA up. Your continuos hard work, determination and dedication you've put in deserves the best, and I will watch you wherever you go and cheer you on. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Your forever a legend in our hearts. Best Wishes. You've been a shining example of a leader and a proper role model/idol that everyone looks up to.