Sunday, April 8, 2012

KU running back James Sims arrested for operating under the influence

A Kansas University football player was arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence early Sunday morning, according to Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director.

James D. Sims, 20, a junior running back originally from Irving, Texas, who started all 12 football games in his sophomore season, was arrested in the 1300 block of Jayhawk Boulevard shortly after 2:15 a.m. Sunday.

Marchiony said the team will handle discipline for Sims internally.

According to Douglas County Jail records, Sims posted a $500 bond and is scheduled to appear in municipal court on April 25.

Additional details concerning the arrest were not available from the KU Public Safety Office on Sunday.

Comments

Goose_88 2 years ago

3 game suspension for Sims, more than enough time for the others to show Weis they deserve the starts.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

I wonder if the police officer was picked last at recess.

rob4lb 2 years ago

While I doubt that Sims would be dismissed from the team, this certainly shows a lack of judgment. He's not a freshman; he's soon to be a junior and presumably a leader on the team. While I disagree with the statement that athletes get in more trouble than the general student body, I do believe that by accepting the scholarship, athletes agree to abide by higher standards than the general student body.

WIth that said, all of this is correctable. If the discipline phase is handled well, Sims will be fine and focused on doing well on the field, in the classroom and in setting an example for other players on the team.

John Mueller 2 years ago

Hold on, people.

I am sad to read the news because he's a young kid who made a mistake that will cost him dearly, both in economic terms and time spent in court, etc.

And for all that don't drink, good for you, just one problem that you won't ever have to deal with.

But, for all of us that do, there isn't one person on the planet that hasn't made this mistake, just alot of us have been fortunate to never get caught.

It IS a big deal, it cannot be condoned, we have decided as a society that it is unacceptable behavior.

But, the young man made a mistake. We will feel for him and wish him the best as he pays his price.

He is a Jayhawk, we will support him and pray for him and stand by him.

I am really getting tired of the noose that some so easily put on another who has a lapse in judgement.

Try living your life in the newspaper every single day...

Who among us, wouldn't end up with a story in the paper on a monthly basis if not for the most precious gift given to most of us.....anonymity?

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

At least he didn't walk!

Statistically you are more likely to be injured walking drunk. Remember KUSports.com... "Friends don't let friends walk drunk." (Yes I got that from Freakonomics)

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years ago

WWBSD? (What would Bill Self do?)

Much more importantly, WWCWD? (What would Charlie Weis do?)

Joe Joseph 2 years ago

Operating under the influence? This makes it sound like he wasn't driving a car. Rather a lawn tractor or something... is there a difference between oui and dui?!

baldwinjhawk 2 years ago

I have a friend that works in the athletic dept and he told me they have meetings and mentor sessions weekly about partying and driving. They have a freakin no questions asked policy for calling any coach or aide for a ride. To quote the great Forrest Gump..." Stupid is as Stupid does" Dismiss him from the team.

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

I got an mip my freshman year at KU. I know athletes are held to a higher standard and I know how that is. I figure one mistake well we all make them, but he needs to learn from this mistake and I hope he does.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years ago

How pissed is sims going to be when HCCW tells him to touch every stair in memorial stadium. Under Gill he would of received a penance of 10 Our Fathers and signed a note promising not to do it again!

Hurinfan 2 years ago

Anyone, ever driving drunk is unacceptable. He should be arrested. As should anyone who drives drunk.

Doug Cramer 2 years ago

The good thing is...we got a ton of running backs that are just as good or better.

ws10 2 years ago

tbbucboy21 You could not be more wrong the athletes just have their mistakes plastered all over by the media. I have a OUI you just didn't hear about mine because I am not an athlete so nobody gives a crap about me getting in trouble. Trust me there are way more regular students getting in trouble than athletes.

tbbucboy21 2 years ago

how big of an idiot can u be? its amazing how many more athletes get in trouble thn KU students. they r lucky to be representing our university..pathetic how some of them take it for granted...time for Bourbon to take the starting role

Ryan Shelton 2 years ago

Uh oh. How will Coach respond to this?