Friday, April 6, 2012

Keegan

Self offering insiders’ view

John Calipari, a voice we all will hear plenty of in the coming year — important public service message: Don’t let that remote get swallowed by the couch — bled famous words when asked Sunday if he had ever watched the 2008 national-title game.

“I have never looked at that tape,” Calipari said the day before his Kentucky team defeated Kansas, 67-59, to win the national title. “That tape was flung out the door of the bus as we were going to the plane.”

Bill Self, who beat Calipari’s Memphis team in ’08 and lost to his Kentucky team Monday night in New Orleans, knows the feeling. He said he only watched the tape of one of his Elite Eight losses, and that was in preparation for facing the team again.

“In this case,” Self said Thursday of Monday’s national-title game tape from a couch in the anteroom of his office, “I’m so proud of our kids. I’m so happy for them. They tried so hard, and I haven’t watched it yet. I’m going to, and I’m going to soak up every minute of it. The way I look at it, I don’t think we got beat. I think we ran out of time. We didn’t play well the first half and spotted them too much.”

Gentlemen, as long as you are at least 35 years old, Self wants you to join him when he watches a replay of the comeback and talks about what they tried, what worked, what didn’t, what he might have tried but decided against doing so. He also wants you to do the same for a film breakdown session of the rally from 19 points down in the second half to victory against Missouri in overtime.

He, his assistants and former players want to coach you for three days, while you wear a Kansas uniform in games in which all stats are recorded and every second is videotaped, so that he and/or other coaches can share their insights into your game.

Then he wants to join you at a social event and have you to his house for a cookout and stories you won’t read in the newspaper because he only tells them off the record. They’ll split your gut. And the next day in practice he’ll give you a chance to experience what it’s like to have strength and conditioning coach Andrea Hudy bust your gut.

Self wants you to listen to him walk through the scouting report for the national-title game against Kentucky.

He wants you to feel what it’s like to be introduced with all the normal Allen Fieldhouse fanfare, including the video highlighting all the tradition.

The first Bill Self Basketball Fantasy Camp takes place April 13-15. Close to 40 campers, ranging from former college players to aging driveway hacks, have signed up from all over the country. Self wants the camp to have more of a Kansas flavor, so he has slashed the price for the three-day camp from $4,995 to $2,995 for Williams Fund members. He said he will cap it at 46 players, so don’t let indecisiveness freeze you out of a good time yet again. If you’d rather coach than play, there’s a spot for you as well.

Those interested should call Matt Chacksfield at 785-318-4005 or contact him at mchacksfield@procamps.com.

Self worked the Michael Jordan Fantasy Camp multiple times and is trying it in Lawrence. The proceeds go to the charitable Assist Foundation that he and wife Cindy started.

“It’s a pretty cool deal,” Self said of the fantasy camp.

Coaches watch the players work out, and they draft their teams, based on their notes.

“Some of the guys are hard-core,” Self said. “But you just come for the experience and the fellowship. To be honest, the biggest reason you should come is because of networking.”

Self will give campers a taste of the coach behind the smile.

“There’s nobody coming in here that doesn’t want to get their butt jumped,” Self said. “Everybody wants to get yelled at. I mean, it’s amazing to me. Kids, when they’re playing, nobody likes getting yelled at, but when they’re older, (they’re like): ‘Give me that.’ If they’re selfish, or if they don’t set a screen, then they deserve to be yelled at a little bit. But some of the guys we’ll be yelling at are CEOs of some Fortune 500 companies, so we won’t yell that loud.”

What a cool early Father’s Day gift a spot in the camp would make for a guy who has provided well enough for his family that the Assist Foundation donation wouldn’t be missed.

Comments

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm not a regular Keegan basher, but jeez it was halfway into the article before I knew what he was talking about. Way to bury the lead Keegs.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank God I'm not the only one.

I had to dump hot coffee in my crotch to make sure I was awake. I thought I only read that kind of stuff in pizza and ice cream induced dreams.

John Myers 2 years, 5 months ago

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

i only made it halfway through the article

Michael Luby 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah! I just read it and was like, what's this!? Am I off of work that day? Do I have an extra 5 G's laying around? LMAO! But seriously, if I had the money and the time off work, I would be there in a heart beat.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe we should start kusports.com fantasy camp and charge lurkers big for taking the abuse we have been giving them for free. :-)

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

HA! +8. After May, all my kudos will be assigned a +9.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 5 months ago

Damn, If I could take the time off if it hadn't been like 15 years since I dribbled a basketball, I'd show up...

Great camp if you ask me....

tis4tim 2 years, 5 months ago

If we can't get this guy on recruiting infractions, can we at least nail him $50 for littering?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

There should be some serious penalties for destruction of a national treasure.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

And why would he have looked at or worried about that tape? He knew what his future was and it didn't involve the game he had just played nor the team he had just led to defeat. His eye was on the "prize" at Kentucky. He was saddling up to make his exit from Memphis and fast!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

In fairness to others, I will not be attending this camp. Knowing how mesmerized and distracted other "campers" would be when I would unwittingly and unintentionally set too high the bar of competition, I respectfully am choosing to step aside. I hope this does not anger Bill Self, as he would probably not allow me to compete anyway as this is a charitable function and ringers such as myself could spoil the fun for others.

Truth is, I have a formula that takes into consideration:waist size, age and inseam length. I probably fall into a category that should only step onto a basketball court if I were to be in one of those halftime shooting contests after being in the lucky seat!

Shane Garrett 2 years, 5 months ago

Love it when the punch line is worth waiting for.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 5 months ago

Okay im 95% on Robinson's # hanging in the rafters, but am not sure who else from the last 10 years?

Miles, langford, both morri, mario, arthur, rush, collins, cole and Tyshawn. Who is going to have their jersey retired?

jakejayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Mario is qualified for sure as NCAA Championship MOP.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Does the name Wayne ring a bell?

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 5 months ago

thought he already had his up there

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Simien's jersey is already retired

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

If I remember correctly, that was when he used the platform, given to him by the University of Kansas, to preach about jesus to 16,000 people at once, and emphasize how little he values the basketball program and KU relative to this.

Tuskin 2 years, 5 months ago

It's almost like basketball's not his religion.

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

Exactly, basketball is basketball... Religion is religion... We were honoring him for basketball. Religion has nothing to do with it. It's fine to mention what your personal religion is, but using your speech primarily to promote your personal religion to everybody... just plain arrogance.

prusso25 2 years, 5 months ago

Is that a bad thing if Wayne used his platform to witness? I would be more concerned if he said that basketball was his religion and that was all he cared about.

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

+1 That would have concerned me too!

I think it's best that religion is just not discussed at all during non-religious occasions.

I sure am glad he didn't come out and ram scientology down our throats instead... ...it's even more annoying!

Jeffrey Nichols 2 years, 5 months ago

Chalmers is the only one by virtue of his MOP. The rest, while fantastic and much beloved, have not met the criteria. Each decade has their similar players that won't be in the rafters that are similar to those you listed. Adonis Jordan. Calvin Thompson. Alonzo Jamison. Richard Scott. Ron Kellogg. Booty Neal. Milt Newton. Billy Thomas. Jeff Boschee. All as good or better than those you listed, and none of them on the wall.

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

According to Wikipedia, six players meet the general guidelines:

• Mario Chalmers: 2008 NCAA Basketball Tournament MOP

• Brandon Rush: Two-time first team All-American

• Cole Aldrich: 2010 Academic All-American of the Year

• Sherron Collins: 2010 consensus first team All-American

• Marcus Morris: 2011 Big 12 Conference POY

• Thomas Robinson: 2012 consensus first team All-American

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I bet all those guys make it up there. Marcus is the least deserving IMO, but deserving nonetheless.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 5 months ago

Um, Wikipedia, really . That is your source. LOL

gchawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Scot Pollard's name should be included as well as all the very deserving names already mentioned. I'm not sure that the jerseys are actually retired are they?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Only if you include Marvin the Martian underneath!!!!!

gchawk 2 years, 5 months ago

He is a character, but he did graduate and had a successful pro career.

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

The jersey is retired (has player's name on back, of course) but the number is reused on future uniforms.

chalky 2 years, 5 months ago

Love to see his as our next big's coach..

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's my criteria, if I have to jog my memory of who you're talking about, he probably doesn't deserve enshrinement in the rafters. I caught myself thinking who is this Robinson? I quickly remembered, but if he was worthy of the rafters I probably wouldn't have had a momentary lapse in memory.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

Ha, I told you I'm forgetful. I'm thinking to the past and were thinking you were referring to Russell Robinson! I guess we had a nice Robinson on this year's team!

Tireman21 2 years, 5 months ago

Thomas Robinson's will hang as a first team All American. Also Mario as tournament MOP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cole was the academic All American of the year right? Or maybe it was Tyrel. Either way, if they were, they would get their jersey up. I think Aaron Miles should also be up there as the all time leader in assists, but other than that, I don't know who else will go up. I hope Keith does, one of my favorites to wear the uniform

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

Sherron Collins qualifies for the same reason Robinson qualifies (consensus first team all-american). Although I would rather not have him up there, I could live with it.

Cole Aldrich, on the other hand (technically qualifying due to his first team academic all-american status) should not be rafterized, in my opinion.

dylans 2 years, 5 months ago

First team academic all Americans qualify? It used to be next to impossible to qualify. I believe it took 2 or 3 actuall all american awards or a tourney mop or season poy award.

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

Correction: Cole Aldrich qualifies for being "Academic All-American of the Year"

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right. The original qualifications were really hard to meet. I believe Roy changed them so he could get all his favorites up there before he left town. They may have been tweaked more since then, maybe to encourage keeping past players connected to the program. I have written them suggesting a "walk of fame" leading up to the field house entrance with the names of ALL players who have ever been in the program etched into the sidewalk or something similar but inexpensive.So many players have give their all but not been considered "special." And there's a lot of sidewalk out there. I've never had a response, so I guess it isn't a good idea.

dylans 2 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like a good idea to me.

FLJHK 2 years, 5 months ago

I think that's an excellent idea oldalum!

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

CEO of a solo operation dedicated to catfishing a sometimes clear and pristine Ozark creek, I must opt out of this untimely Fantasy Camp. If Bill Self could only reschedule for midJanuary I'd lace 'em up to assume the floor generalship...and put all comers towering over 5'9" to abject shame. But I would imagine that Self has more pressing wage earning obligations at that particular stage of the moon. Perhaps I could donate and deliver a 30# flathead to Lawrence as a small pittance in lieu of my otherwise enthusiastic septuagenarian hoops presence.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll buy one of those basketballs by Nico, for 99.00 instead of showing up with my Sexagenarian outside shooting skills. Sorry, Bill.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

5000.00 to let Hudy tell me what doctors have been telling me for the price of a co-pay! For the 5G, she could......Well, never mind that.

Hey, I wonder if Roy would like to come? He obviously can't beat Bill so maybe he needs to come learn from him at a camp.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I can picture Roy in one of those fake mustache/nose glasses things.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Reasons for attending this camp:

1] If you have $5000 laying around and can take off in two weeks it means you're pretty well set!!

2] You can tell all your friends you played basketball in a Kansas uniform in Allen Fieldhouse [leave out the fantasy camp part!!]

3] Just to see how big a uniform the school can actually provide.

4] To live and die a Jayhawk [living is running down on the first fast break, dying is trying to get back on defense]

5] Keegs,...thanks for waiting to write about it until there were only 6 spots left!!

6] Cindy Self is one hell of a BBQ genius [that's about a $1000 per brat]

7] I know it's not the same guy but can't we find a different name for the Williams Fund???

8] First hour is boot camp..free throw up buckets, wetnaps and breath mints will be provided.

9] Naked pictures of Ashley Judd will be provided [Actually, you can get those anywhere]

10] There will be a life-sized cutout of John Calipari on the court and a picture of a ref looking the other way...use your imagination.

11] You get to huddle up and get your ass blasted by HCBS, just like the real Jayhawks.

12] There will be a memorial flinging of the tape of the first Missouri game after the camp

2 years, 5 months ago

2] tyler513, here’s your chance!

7] Self Endowment Fund?

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

13] Bobby Petrino plans to dribble all the way from Fayetteville to Lawrence; having lost his hog call, now squealing like that hapless fellow in the movie Deliverance.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

2) I did this, sort of, I had a ball in my car one time and saw an outdoor court on campus. I played a little one on none for a few minutes just to be able to say that I once played basletball at the University of Kansas.

3) If they had one for Ostertag for the "Legends" game, they must have a full size range.

Great List, Oak!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

My only concern would be my NCAA eligibility. I know that there isn't a huge demand for 6 foot tall 3-point specialist who doesn't play defense. I am actually hoping that they bring back Oklahoma/Iowa Girls basketball rules. 6 v 6 with 3 on the offensive side of the court and 3 on the defensive side of the court. My jersey would be hanging from the rafters at AFH.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

I was thinking with your requirements you ought to go right to the pros.

irvan moore 2 years, 5 months ago

i'm thinkin' it's going to be ugly in the locker room

Shane Garrett 2 years, 5 months ago

eewuh! beatnik why did you have to go there?!

William Weissbeck 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, we were the best college team left standing. Enjoy it.

phoggyjay 2 years, 5 months ago

That article hurt my eyeballs...

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

I've hesitated to post this conversation I had a with business associate who happens to be a native Kentuckian and a rabid Kentucky Wildcat fan. It was distrubing but in light of their victory, I thought I'd give you all a true glimpse of their true personality.

I asked him, now that as many as seven players may go pro, what was UK going to do? His answer was simply, "We'll find seven new monkeys to fill in".

There is truly a total lack of respect for their own players, as well as disregard for any social graces or even human dignity. For me, Kentucky now falls down to North Korea and Iraq level as vacation destinations!!!

Lance Hobson 2 years, 5 months ago

Man, I loved seeing the intensity in Self's coaching during that second half against Kentucky. You felt the energy and the belief he was imparting that we could win that game. It was leadership greatness in action and sure was fun. What a team.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 5 months ago

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Self certainly kept that guy on the neighboring bench dancing to his every move. If there was a prime mover after halftime, it sure wasn't a member of the cat family.

bbeckum 2 years, 5 months ago

If I were attending this camp I would dominate. From my stellar outside shooting, to my won't-be-denied aggressiviness when taking it to the rack, my scoring game is spectacular. But really, I'm a passer at heart. I love an assist more than a dunk. I've got great court vision and I really understand the game. But if my team needs to me to score, I can and will. You'd think that with an arsenal of offensive skills like that, I might be a lazy defender. Nothing could be further from the truth. I take great pride in my defense. I deny my man the ball, double-team when the ball goes into the post, and get a lot of steals, which lead to my lightning-fast transition game. I'm a complete player and a consumate teammate. I keep everyone loose, but focused on the bench and in the locker room. I'm a national merit scholar and work with troubled youth. I'll do whatever it takes to make me and those around me more successful.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 5 months ago

you're clearly very ready for FANTASY camp!

hah, nice post, btw.

Ryan Sullivan 2 years, 5 months ago

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

Well the Royals play in Mizery, so I expect nothing less from their entire team.

DWilly 2 years, 5 months ago

It's nice to see Keegan getting some work in the ad department.

chalky 2 years, 5 months ago

The article seemed all over the place. It started with someone we don't care for, doing something we don't care about,several years ago, and then it just got weird from there.