Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Weis announces dismissal of D-Lineman Julius Green

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis announced Tuesday via a press release that defensive lineman Julius Green had been dismissed from the team for violating team rules.

The announcement came following the Jayhawks’ fourth of 15 spring practices. It was the second day in which the Jayhawks were allowed to practice in full pads.

Kansas will return to practice Thursday for another day of spring drills.

Green, a 6-foot-5, 265-pound red-shirt freshman from Houston, joined the Jayhawks as a defensive end last spring and red-shirted to add weight. Last week, when Weis released KU’s first spring depth chart, Green appeared as a second-string guy but was listed at defensive tackle.

After struggling to find solid play along the defensive line throughout the 2011 season, the Jayhawks have added several new defensive linemen to the roster in the offseason, both tackles and ends.

Weis attends title game

Weis returned to Lawrence for practice Tuesday afternoon one night after traveling to New Orleans to take in the national championship basketball game between Kansas and Kentucky at the Superdome.

Weis, who has made it clear that he is a huge fan of college hoops, showed up for Monday’s title game decked out in KU gear and did an interview with KU radio broadcasters during the pregame.

Comments

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 8 months ago

True that!

However, I wonder if he feels a slight bit of pressure considering the success both basketball teams had this year?

RCJHGKU!!!

akgjenkintown 2 years, 8 months ago

Weis predicted a KU victory in overtime during the pep rally on Monday in New Orleans. Too bad he was wrong.

kureader 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't have any comments about your post, since I didn't read it. I do like your avatar, though!

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

i'm glad he had the decency to wait to do this until after the national championship game.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 8 months ago

Freaking great. Here we go...watching D-linemen drop like flys...just like the past several seasons. This is not the position group to be losing players.

Brandon Pope 2 years, 8 months ago

It is if they aren't following team rules. Discipline and focus, or lack thereof, are what killed us last year. We were constantly underprepared to compete. You don't let guys who don't want to work the right way stick around just because we need defensive linemen.

This is how you establish a culture of discipline and winning.

vd 2 years, 8 months ago

Gill kicked many players off the team.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

There are lots of new guys coming this summer, and as Jay says, if you're not doing it right, you're not doing it well enough to help the team.

And while there were plenty of players that left when Gill arrive, were there really that many that left during the 2 yrs? I'm only thinking of Miller, and tech that was just a suspension til Charlie got here.

okiedave 2 years, 8 months ago

Good football programs demand discipline. They do not mess around. Gundy let several very good players go from the squad about 3 years ago for violating team rules. It affects the program in the short term, but in the long term it tends to produce positive results. The players understand the rules and know the consequences. This action by Wies does not concern me.

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

On the contrary, strong discipline from the top encourages me. I really doubt dismissing a recalcitrant player is anything but a positive affect, short or long term. Keeping them around is just feeding a cancer.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe Brad Thorson was kicked off of the Wisconsin team for disciplinary reasons. He ended up being a model student athlete (from what we are able to see) so I hope Green can make the same transition on his new team.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Brad got in a fight (and injured) a teammate, then chose to leave (graduation).

Al Martin 2 years, 8 months ago

While I agree, I think we could cut the staff some slack here. There's been another pretty big event that's occupied their time :-)

JayhawkinNE 2 years, 8 months ago

Just wondering if I missed an announcement on McCay...I know they were hoping to hear something last week???

flyingfinn 2 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding me!!!!! Don't compare Coach Weiss to Gill after 4 days of Spring ball. I don't believe we have seen lack of conditioning, lack of academics, and lack of effort as we saw during the last 2 years.

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

You seem to be making two issues out of this – the action of dismissing a player vs the announcement of the dismissal.

Prince honored student/athlete privacy rights. Snyder hasn't kept things hidden under a blanket.

I understand you prefer a winning coach, but you pretend to differences that are largely invented by yourself.

" ... dismissed for violation of team rules ... " is neither boastful nor apologetic – regardless of how they compare on the scales.

Sympathies for your angst about prospect of continuing the temporary success against an in-state rival.

Jason Keller 2 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Weis feels pressure from all of the success Turner Gill had here.

cobweb 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah. As a football coach Gill was a great minister.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

It's unfortunate to lose a d-lineman as we all know how thin KU has been at that position, but I'm sure Coach Weis is plenty concerned about winning games and did what he felt was best for all involved.