Originally published April 3, 2012 at 10:52a.m., updated April 3, 2012 at 11:00a.m.

Jayhawk fans invited to greet men’s basketball team at airport, Allen Fieldhouse

The Kansas University men’s basketball team is returning to Kansas today and is scheduled to arrive about 6:30 p.m. at Forbes Field in Topeka, according to associate athletics director Jim Marchiony.

From there, the team will travel by bus to Allen Fieldhouse, likely arriving between 7 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Marchiony said.

Fans are invited to greet the team at both Forbes Field and Allen Fieldhouse, where the doors will open at 6:30 p.m.

The Jayhawks lost to the University of Kentucky Monday night, 67-59, in the championship game of the NCAA Tournament, played in New Orleans.

Comments

kyro 7 years, 11 months ago

KU fan for 28 yrs. My favorite team ever.

Beth Ennis 7 years, 11 months ago

We didn't need to win a National Championship to know how great you guys are! We are so proud of you and all you accomplished this year. I hope you will all be proud of yourselves for everything you accomplished this year. We love you all! Rock Chalk for ever! Good luck to Danny and Barry--you will both be missed and we wish you nothing but the best in your future!

gsxr600 7 years, 11 months ago

I think it would be great to have a packed fieldhouse to welcome our team back. So glad I got a signed basketball this year before they sold out so I can remember my time as a student and all the great times we've shared with this team. RCJH

ajhk 7 years, 11 months ago

What a great team. I hope they get over this loss fast and are able to celebrate their accomplishments.

I couldn't be more proud boys!

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 11 months ago

Turn out in force!!! Wish I could be there.

Ben Kane 7 years, 11 months ago

i hope a lot of you turn out for this, can't go myself stuck here in kentucky (ugh) but these team has earned a nice welcome home. I had a great time this season.

Paul Rupp 7 years, 11 months ago

Any word whether this event will be streamed?

Sarah Carr 7 years, 11 months ago

You might try "www.wibw.com" - if they're not streaming it live, they may post it later.

Lance Hobson 7 years, 11 months ago

I wish I could be there. Simply awesome performance Jayhawks, you made us proud!

NMjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

We here in the Land of Enchantment are so very proud of our Jayhawks! Wish we could be in the Fieldhouse tonight. Our thoughts and cheers are with the entire team.

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 11 months ago

Wish I could be there. Most imrpoved team through out a season I've ever seen.

kumax 7 years, 11 months ago

KU Men's BBall... I hope you're reading these boards. You deserve every good wish and all the LOVE comin' your way. I've never been more proud of a Jayhawk team.

You kept on delivering even while the doubters hammered and yammered away. Wish I could be there to greet you, but I live in PAC- 12 country (Boulder, CO). Sucky bball country too ;) At least we have Coach Tad Boyle to root for- one of ours!

Thank you 'hawks! I am always proud to be a Jayhawk and a graduate of KU. For those of you leaving Larrytown, keep comin' back! Its always exciting to see you on the TV screens when you return HOME for a visit. RJCH!

Vittorio1224 7 years, 11 months ago

Normally, 2nd place means you lost, but in this case there was no loser. KU's 2011/2012 men's basketball team cemented its place as fan favourites in our hearts with each successive win. #rockchalkjayhawk4life

trobpoy 7 years, 11 months ago

does anyone know where this will be streaming online???

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 11 months ago

The Forbes contingent was several hundred people and I would have never known we lost with the wild cheers and clapping and band playing. There was no autographs allowed as the guys walked through roped off area. Self stopped momentarily for a short interview.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm so glad there was a good turnout. Hope it was the same at the field house.

OmaHawk88 7 years, 11 months ago

I hope there was a huge crowd to great the team at AFH tonight. I was a senior in 1988 and was at the stadium when the Champions' bus pulled onto the track for the big celebration. I wish I could be there for this year's team. They deserve a big reception when they get back to campus for what they accomplished this year. This may be my favorite team ever because of how they played together and NEVER quit. I'm so glad I got to see them play in person twice here in Omaha. You guys have made Jayhawk Nation so proud. Thanks for an awesome season.

William Burnam 7 years, 11 months ago

Better than the championship years in many ways