Monday, April 2, 2012

Jayhawks plan to return to Kansas at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday

The Kansas University basketball team is scheduled to arrive at Forbes Field in Topeka at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Eric Johnson, president and director of airports for the Metropolitan Topeka Airport Authority.

The airport is open to the public, and airport officials are preparing for a crowd to greet the team from its return from New Orleans.

“Win or lose, it’s going to be hectic here,” Johnson said.

He cautioned that there were several factors that could change the arrival time.

“Anything can cause a delay or a reroute or whatever,” he said.

In 2008, when the Jayhawks won the national title, a few thousand people greeted the team at the airport, Johnson said.

If the Jayhawks win, KU officials said there will likely be a rally at Memorial Stadium after the team arrives in Lawrence.

— Journal-World Assistant Sports Editor Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

Ben Kane 8 years, 2 months ago

i hope a bunch of people show up to welcome our boys home regardless of the outcome, they've earned it.

Stephan123 8 years, 2 months ago

Win or lose, KU has been amazing this season.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 2 months ago

Why would they rally at the football stadium at night? Last time didn't fans meet them at Allen and then had a rally at the football field the next day?

Phoghat 8 years, 2 months ago

Great season . . . no, AWESOME season guys! Thanks for the wonderful memories!! Bravehearts All!!!

paulhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Great season! It would have been nice to pull it off. I still feel like we won! I am so proud to be a Jayhawk fan! ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, One heck of a ride!!!!!!!!!!!

SDSurferFan 8 years, 2 months ago

Disappointed in the loss, not the team. Fun ride.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 2 months ago

I really thought we might pull it out..just too many mistakes to overcome. Hope Tyshawn goes in the first round..he showed his best and worst tonight but he gave it his all. His number will be raised one day in AFH.

At the start of the season..my most optimistic goal was somewhere near 25 wins and a Sweet 16 finish...what a great ride they gave us.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 2 months ago

They just announced on the radio that the team is expected to arrive at the field house about 7:30. Wish I could be there. The article above is pretty badly written and gives the impression that they would be going straight to the football field. Must have been written by the guy that delivers the doughnuts because everyone else was gone to watch the game.

KUlolly 8 years, 2 months ago

I wish I could be there to welcome this team home! I have always been a proud Jayhawk but this team may go down as my favorite ever! Even though they lost this game, they have fought hard all season trying to prove to everyone that they were better than anyone thought they would be. It has been the most amazing ride!

I wish we would have another year with Thomas but I realize that he HAS to go pro. I'm sure he will think about coming back after this loss but he needs to make money to take care of his little sister and it would be tragic if he came back and had a career ending injury or something. The future is always bright at KU and we will move on without him. I wish him only the best in the future and will follow proudly whichever NBA team he ends up on even though I don't like the NBA.

Rock Chalk! Lauri