Sunday, April 1, 2012

It’s showtime: Jayhawks seek revenge in tonight’s title game

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles at Kentucky head coach John Calipari as the two sit for makeup before their joint CBS interview on Sunday, April 1, 2012 at the Superdome.

— Kansas University’s basketball team does not like to lose. Period.

But to be taken down by the same opponent twice in one season?

That’s especially distasteful to team leaders Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson, eager to take the court against Kentucky tonight in an NCAA championship game (8:23 p.m., Superdome) that’s a rematch of a 75-65 Kentucky victory on Nov. 15 in New York.

“When you play a team that beat you, you want another chance. We get another chance. It’s not like a revenge game, but it’s one of those things like, ‘We’re back ... do it again,’’’ senior point guard Taylor said. “Basically, we want to make them come out and beat us. They’re going to have to play their best game of the year.”

KU has lost to the same team twice in one season just twice in the nine-year Bill Self era.

Michigan State swept the Jayhawks during Taylor’s freshman year. Texas topped KU twice in 2003-04, Self’s first season at KU.

“It’s extra motivation. I want payback,” junior forward Robinson said. “I don’t want anyone to think they have the upper hand on me, and I’ve thought that all season about Kentucky, but I get to see them again.”

Robinson and Taylor, who combined for 33 points off 8-of-25 shooting (Taylor was 3-of-13 from the floor but 15-of-17 at the line) in the first meeting, discussed the challenge during one of their regular heart-to-heart chats while speeding from station to station on a golf cart Sunday at the Superdome.

“I just said to T-Rob, ‘They’ve got five guys who can score 20, 30 points, if any one of them gets hot, and a couple guys off the bench who can do the same thing,’” Taylor said of double-digit scorers Anthony Davis (14.4 ppg), Doron Lamb (13.5 ppg, 17 versus KU), Terrence Jones (12.4), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (11.9), Darius Miller (10.1) and Marquis Teague (9.9 ppg, 188 assists, 107 turnovers).

“On paper they should be favored,” Taylor added of the Wildcats, who are indeed 61⁄2-point favorites. “I think if you toss the ball up for 40 minutes and their five have got to play against our best five, we’re right there. On paper their record looks better, but I mean it’s only 40 minutes and none of that matters any more. There’s only 40 minutes left.”

KU played Kentucky to a 28-28 tie the first half of the game in Madison Square Garden. The Wildcats used a 15-2 run that stretched to 24-7 to open an insurmountable 54-37 lead with 10 minutes left.

Led by Davis, who blocked seven shots, the Wildcats recorded 13 blocks, most ever by a KU opponent in a single game. Davis’ seven blocks were second-most ever by an individual against KU. Shane Battier of Duke recorded eight in a second-round NCAA victory over KU on March 19, 2000.

“He’s the best,” KU junior Withey said, tapping 6-10 freshman Davis the No. 1 big man he has gone against. “He’s going to be the No. 1 draft pick (in 2012 NBA Draft). He can run, jump, do it all. It’ll be a tough challenge. We faced him earlier in the year, and we hopefully can correct what we didn’t do against him the first time.”

Davis has 180 blocks to Withey’s 136.

“Mine is through the roof now,” Withey said of his confidence level. Withey, who scored seven points with six boards and four blocks in 25 minutes against Kentucky, blocked seven shots in Saturday’s 64-62 Final Four semifinal win over Ohio State. He made life miserable on All-America forward Jared Sullinger, who had 13 points off 5-of-19 shooting.

“Guys like me and Anthony Davis can make it tough on teams because we both have been able to block some shots,” Withey added.

KU’s Robinson was frustrated in the first meeting, missing seven of 12 shots. He had 12 rebounds and five fouls in 27 minutes.

That’s the game in which he committed a hard foul on Jones (15 points, seven boards), then stepped right over the 6-9 sophomore on the court. UK’s Kidd-Gilchrist (12 points, nine rebounds, four assists, three blocks) and Teague (12 points, six turnovers, three assists) took exception, getting in Robinson’s face over the play.

“I played a horrible game. I tried to do everything by myself,” Robinson said.

It’s possible he could be double-teamed by the Wildcats again.

“I’ve played against some big people, and I played in some tough games,” he said. “I think I’ve seen every trap, every which way they can come. I’ve watched the tape and know what they did. I’m pretty sure Cal (coach John Calipari) has something up his sleeve to disrupt my game, but if I’m just patient, everything should work out.”

Kentucky hit 51 percent of its shots vs. KU, including seven of 15 threes and 16 of 29 free throws. KU hit 33.3 percent from the floor, four of 15 from three. It was a day Justin Wesley (five points, five boards) played more than Kevin Young (two rebounds, two minutes). Conner Teahan had eight points, cashing two of five threes.

“Kentucky’s terrific,” Self said. “They’ve been the best team in the country basically from start to finish maybe with the exception of a week here or a week there. They’ve gotten better. They’re way beyond their years. Although they’re young in age, they’re certainly not young with experience.

“They’re one of the better teams we’ve had in college basketball probably from a pure talent standpoint. They’ve got six pros, three of them probably lottery picks. They’re really, really, really talented.

“But, you know, the thing about it is, I like our guys. I think we’re talented, too. We’ve got a guy that has kind of battled Anthony neck-and-neck for the most part for national player of the year. We got guards that can play with anybody, in my opinion. We’ve got a shot-blocker that’s hot right now. We’ve got a wing that can guard. We’ve got a lot of nice pieces too, it’s just that theirs are a little more heralded. From where we started, our path to get here was different than theirs. They’re good, really good. But the thing about it is, this time of year, one game left, who would you be playing if they weren’t really good?”

Comments

Steve Brown 2 years ago

there was a boy named Cal, who thought his boys never did foul.

none were better at giving the pitch, making agents and aau coaches the rich.

ashley clapped and smiled, while the widcat boys ran wild.

never tested, never tried, until the jayhawks arrived.

the ball clanged and rattled, cal never got settled.

one shining moment music played. Self raised the trophy another championship made.

Steve Brown 2 years ago

Calipari is great. Kentucky is awesome.

Win against the best, nothing sweeter.

RCJH.

Tomorrow t.shirt.

UK-Who? KU

rebuild on Kentucky!

6-7 out of 10 we get spanked, half of them close half not, yet 3 of 10 we win, 2 close and one game we drain 3's from everywhere, open up inside for our big boys.

Larry Brown, our X factor.

Let it rain

kennethst 2 years ago

PS-I was thinking......didn't the "experts" say Memphis was too athletic for KU in 2008? Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,

William Blake 2 years ago

Well guys....

You left Lawrence with dreams...

so return to Lawrence with hardware!

YOU WILL DO IT!

Rock Chalk!

kennethst 2 years ago

Whatever happens tonight......may I say it's been a pleasure to talk to all of you. Thanks for being such great fans of our KU!! ' Now......let's go win a championship!!!!!!!!!

KansasComet 2 years ago

Feeling good about our chances. In 2008 the Giants defeated the Patriots in the Super Bowl. In 2012 the Giants defeated the Patriots in the Super Bowl. In 2008 Bill Self faced John Calapari in the NCAA Championship Game. In 2012 Bill Self faces John Calapari in the NCAA Championship. In 2008 Calapari's team had a player with two last names Douglas-Roberts. In 2012 Calapari's team has a player with two last names Kidd-Gilcrist. In 2008 one of Calapari's best players was a kid from Chicago (Derrick Rose) number 1 overall draft pick. In 2012 one of Calapari's best players is a kid from Chicago (Anthony Davis) projected number 1 overall draft pick. In 2008 Kansas had a player with the last name Robinson in the starting lineup. In 2012 Kansas has a player with the last name Robinson in the starting lineup. This is what happens when I start to think too much before the game starts. I am sure there are other similarities. Let's hope history repeats it"Self "tonight! Go Jayhawks!

RJ King 2 years ago

Anyone know of a Jayhawks friendly sportsbar in DC for tonight?

jhawkr 2 years ago

Who really could have come close to predicting that KU would be playing for National Championship at this point last year ? With really only two quality subs off of the bench, how have the Jayhawks made it this far ........ I have to think a lot of Coach Self and a lot of teamwork and believing in each other.

The key tonight IMO is whether the Jayhawks can stay out of too deep of a hole. They have battled back numerous times this season, but digging out of a hole and keeping Kentucky's scoring down at the same time will most likely be harder to do then against our previous opponents.

If they can stay out of foul trouble and get contributions from the bench (scoring and defense and not fouls Mr. Young), the Jayhawks have a serious chance in the end. To me Mr. Young has been one of the real heroes the past 10-12 games. He has great energy, can defend, rebound and score when needed.

I've said the past two games that I should just relax and celebrate the fact that the Jayhawks made it this far. But once the game starts "relaxing" just isn't in my blood. I am a pessimist and I think the Jayhawks feed off of my pessimism. I know that isn't true, but it has been working in front of my television !!

theend 2 years ago

Well boys.....I'm heading out for a while.....try to burn off some stress before the game.

Just remember.......If we get down a few points tonight.....don't get worried. We probably will be down as some point. Possibly several times. But keep the faith and stay positive. Remember how these tough kids have come back time after time. Especially dont forget the MU game. KU came back 19 on an excellent team!!

I don't think we'll be down that far.......but just hang in there. We'll come back!!

KULA 2 years ago

Anyone got any info on what Tyshawn heard from Aaron Craft that tipped him off for the steal at the end of the game? I'd love to know what happened.

theend 2 years ago

2008.....One Shining Moment.

BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theend 2 years ago

Any chance of Wayne Simien taking over for Danny Manning?

bville_hawk 2 years ago

A person really has to wonder about the talking heads sometimes. Looking at UK's bracket victims the highest seed they have played is #3 Baylor who finished 3rd in the Big 12. Louisville finished like 7th in the Big East and was a 4 seed. UK hasn't been nearly as dominating in the post season as UNLV, Houston (aka Phi Slamma Jamma) or Georgetown were in their best years. UK is not dominating the field like OU did in 1988.

KU has beaten a 1 seed and a 2 seed in their last two games and while not dominating any team score wise has shown an ability to dominate teams with its defense. KU have been able to win despite not having shot the ball well yet for any one game except maybe UNC.

The talking heads would be dissing KU big time if they had arrived at the title game with a victim such as Baylor being their best victory.

I wonder also if KU might have a "physical" advantage in that on average this is a game of 19 year olds playing a team of 21 year olds. Two more years of physical maturing plus 2 extra years in the weight room (Hudy style) has to count for something.

Just some random thoughts while getting pissed reading the national columns and watching the talking heads...

theend 2 years ago

We may have the fan edge at the game tonight. Many KU fans of course.....but I would guess all the Louisville fans that stayed will be cheering for KU. Probably wont matter much.....but anything that helps!!

Where are Jaybate and Oakville??? I thought they would be all over the comments today???

kupopp 2 years ago

I have a tanned wildcat hide tacked to the wall of my "man cave". I predict another wildcat is going to get its hide tanned tonight.

With the rioting in Lexington after their win Saturday night. I wouldn't want to be there after they lose to the Jayhawks.

KPOP 2 years ago

this a very good KU basketball team.. The TV guys love Kentucky because they score and score quickly blah blah blah. KU struggles to score sometimes but their defense can put the clamps on anybody. I think we'll shut down the Kentucky guards, create some turnovers and run this one out which will leave the pundits shaking their heads in disbelief that KU wins the game. RCJHGKU.

justanotherfan 2 years ago

KU can win this game. I know that they can.

That being said, I picked Kentucky to win the title back in January. This UK team is stacked.

When the brackets came out, I picked a KU-UK final, with Kentucky winning by 7 in the title game.

I keep looking at the matchups to find our advantages. Earlier in the year, I would have said Taylor had a huge advantage over Teague, but Teague has improved by leaps and bounds in the last six weeks. Lamb vs. Johnson, I'd have to give Lamb a tiny edge. Releford vs. Kidd-Gilchrist, MKG is just as good defensively, and a much more explosive scorer. Jones vs. Robinson, advantage Robinson, but not decidedly so. And Davis easily over Withey because Davis is equal to Withey defensively and a better scorer. In one game depth doesn't really matter that much because neither team will play more than six guys for significant minutes, but UK will probably get more from it's sixth guy (Miller) than KU will probably get from Conner and Kevin, and it's possible that Wiltjer will match Conner from 3 to nullify any advantage KU might get from there.

It's one game, so anything can happen.

If it's a defensive struggle, KU and UK are probably two of the five best on court defensive teams in the country. I don't think KU can win a shoot out because UK simply has more ammo, but I doubt this game becomes a shoot out. This game will be played in the 60s.

I have seen Kentucky turn up the heat on just about every team they have played and eventually just break them down. They did it to Iowa State. They did it to Indiana. They did it to Baylor. They did it to Louisville. They can play any style. Indiana tried to run. Kentucky dropped 100 on them. Louisville tried to mix it up. Kentucky grinded out the win. They nullified Baylor's length. Silenced Iowa State's long range bombing.

Ultimately, I'd still take Kentucky in this game. This matchup is no comparison to the 08 matchup. This Kentucky team is easily better than that Memphis team. The only guy on that Memphis team that would start on this UK team is Rose. The only guy on this KU team that could start for the 08 champs is Robinson.

I hope KU can find one more magic moment and get the win, but this has been an awesome ride either way.

REHawk 2 years ago

Mr. Slick gets one more opportunity to move a team to the national title game, probably with fingers crossed that this one, too, won't subsequently be vacated. Gotta be a little bit of pressure on Cal, considering that this is his first "official" Final Four.

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

This is it, Jayhawks. You played one of the toughest schedules in the country, and tonight is the reason why. You've already gone up against the best that the NCAA has to offer this year. You've experienced both great highs and desperate lows. You know what it will take to win, so go do it...and above all, Rock Chalk!

MizzouBest 2 years ago

Nobody cares about a Missouri fan's prediction.......but I will give it anyway.

I think this could go like the UNC game.......KU saved its high-power game for tonight. Going to throw it all all the line and "let 'er rip"!!! High energy frpm start to finish. Kentucky is in for a surprise.

Kansas 90 UK 84

2012 National Champions.........The University of Kansas.

Oklahoma_Hawk 2 years ago

How many times can we really say that we only have ONE more game to go? Just pure joy to watch this Jayhawks to have FUN!

WilburNether 2 years ago

"Shane Battier of Duke recorded eight in a second-round NCAA victory over KU on March 19, 2000."

Never mind Battier; that was the game that NCAA refs gave to Duke with the phantom "foul" call on Hinrich.

If you want to beat Duke, you'd better be 11 points better, because in the course of the game, NCAA refs will give them 10.

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

Why are we even going to play this game???

Justin Kruse 2 years ago

Rebound, limit turnovers, and spread out their defense w/ some good high/low. And come out and punch 'em in the mouth. I can't wait for this game. Time to prove all the doubters wrong. Rock Chalk!

theend 2 years ago

I wonder if we will see a game like the one vs UNC?? High-Octane offense from KU?

Not sure if that is best against KY..........I worry that KY could take advantage in a very fast pace. Well......I'm glad I don't have to decide......just need to sit back and watch......and hope.......and pray.

floridajayhawks 2 years ago

Ok, Jay Bilas said that if Kansas wins it will be as big as an upset as NC State winning the title. Here is the key to winning tonight play physical, take the ball at Davis with post ups. It worked for IU when they beat kentucky and we have better talent in the post. Another thing getting tired of hearing all these so called "experts".

Jayhawks Rock 2 years ago

...and T Rob, you were dissed by the media when they gave POY to Davis. Take your passion for the game, rely on your team, and show the world who the best college basketball player is this year. Do this for yourself and for your family. Think of the smile you have put on your sisters face. We are all proud of you regardless of the outcome. What a great year to be a jayhawk.

KUUBERFAN 2 years ago

Maybe we should send Wesley out there to take the Unibrow's knees out, of course I dont want that to really happen. I want KU to beat them fair and square. So proud of them no matter what happens tonight. But yeah I would take that 4th NCAA Champions banner to hang in the rafters of AFH....

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

A Jayhawk Prayer. This video was made for the San Antonio Final Four:

Replace San Antonio with New Orleans and North Carolina with Kentucky (Roy Williams with Calipari is optional) and it is good to go. It brought us luck in '08 and it will bring us luck tonight. Turn up the volume and enjoy it.

jiminycricket 2 years ago

Scoring the basketball is usually the where all end all of basketball. It's the ESPN highlight reel, it's the buzzer beater, it's the "ball" of basketball. Scoring, however, is as fickled as an Easter basket missing the bunny. Missing the bunny, destroys the basket and takes the ball out of basketball. Most of our past teams couldn't overcome, without scoring there was no victory, either a team victory or as important a personal victory.. We saw it many times before, the idea that this stage was set for individual scoring, and those that have been dependable before needed to play the game without Depends. We talk of this teams mental toughness, well it's toughness is in the understanding that scoring the basket is NOT the where all end all of basketball. Playing from behind, which they seem to do all the time, has taught this team that there are other avenues to victory lane, other than scoring the basketball. It's seem with this team the ball finds it's way into the basket, instead of out of the basket. As Tyshaun came to freethrow line it wasn't about his having another opportunity to blow a freethrow....it was about another opporunity to have the ball go into the basket.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

Destiny is an interesting word. I heard someone refer to KU as a team of destiny. I responded and said, no, this is a team of character.

Destiny comes up sometimes, during this time of the year. Most use it to mean that one's fate is predetermined. That one has no control over future events.

But destiny .. when it comes to sports .. means something a bit different. Destiny really means a fate that the team itself has determined. Something the team has built. Something the team has created by its efforts. It means a team that has built chemistry, a team that has worked through adversity, a team that has defied the odds, a team that has overcome, at team that has found a way, a team that has failed and rebounded, a team that has won every type of game, a team that plays for each other, a team that plays for its institution, a team that has been molded in the image of its coach, a team that just wins ...

But really .. destiny .. it is just another word for character. Maybe not in the dictionary. But certainly with this team. This team's unflappable character has willed it to victory.

Make no mistake, character is not created in one season. Character, with this team, has been forged in the flames of UNI and VCU. It is created in disappointment. It is created in failure. It is created when no one thinks you can. It builds on personal loss, and the support of friends that become brothers. Adversity brings out the best in many, but the worst in some. We have seen the best. Leadership at all levels steers the path of the ship. But much like an air craft carrier, a new path is not created by turning on a dime. And much like the Titanic, turning that large ship has many obstacles . .obstacles that can sink it. Very few times in sports do you see what we have seen.

Character, on this night, will determine this team's destiny -- as it always has this season.

What we will see tonight is destiny fulfilled, win or lose.

This team that has made an improbable run .. not only in the tournament, but this entire season.

But this season has been about one thing .. if you have to find just one word .. and that is character.

Enjoy the ride. It is our birthright.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

I sure hope 100 has his feet kicked up Some Where in front of a big screen.

"Defense Wins Championships"

"Crisp Passing Wins Championships"

"Free Throws Wins Championships"

Rock Chalk

theend 2 years ago

Well boys......whatever happens tonight......it's been an honor serving with you.

Now......lets go get that Championship!!

Gil Ek 2 years ago

What did Tad say at the half? I was watching the game in Mexico and it was in Spanish. He has always irked me. Merry Christmas Tad. My thoughts, "Kansas is the NCAA's poster child for everything that is good and right and "amateur" about NCAA basketball. "

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

Ugh! I just hope we don't come out tight and allow them to bury us with treys.

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

I was pretty much satisfied with making the Final Four. This team has overachieved. But after Tad's comments at halftime, I just wanted us to put away OSU. Now, that we're going up against the Evil Empire (a.k.a. Calipari), I think I may be sick if we don't win. LOL

billy1961 2 years ago

Two great programs, no doubt. My choice for the top wildest major college game ever was the Dec 9, 1989 game of Ky vs Ks at Allen Fieldhouse. Kentucky was coached by Rick Pitino and was unranked and Derrick Miller had 32 points that night. Kansas was coached by Roy Williams and ranked #2 and Downtown Terry Brown had 31 points. Final score was Kansas 150 and Kentucky 95. It was Kansas 80 and Kentucky 61 at HALFtime! I'm hoping Kansas brings their "A" game tonight, something we haven't seen yet in this exciting NCAA tournament Go Hawks!

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

I don't think "revenge" for a game in December should be a motivating factor. This is IT...simple as that. Nothing to hold back for. We just need to keep within striking distance like we have for the past 4 games and we should be fine.

Kevin Heath 2 years ago

Just substitute the term "team" for mid-major and "players" for high-major. This will be yet another high profile look at the question of whether a great TEAM can beat a group of great PLAYERS. As Kansas fans we know all too well how it feels when our great players lose to a TEAM playing well (Bradley, N. Iowa, and Bucknell to name a few). A good mid-major typically has players who play together for 3-4 years then make that amazing run. Most of the high major teams don't experience that because the players are leaving early often enough that the major contributors are experiencing significant change year over year. (Not that it didn't happen with Kansas this year from last, but these guys are used to playing with each other.) This year's version, along with the 2008 version, were fantastic TEAM's. They knew each other, grew together, and developed into an amazing team. Kentucky has the high profile talent, but they are not a TEAM. Imagine what they would be if they all stayed in school for 2 more years? They would be starting 3 juniors and 2 seniors. Barring injury (or cheating) they would win the next two championships without question. They will never get that chance, however, to become a great team. They are merely a collection of great players.

We have been great and won so many Big 12 titles in part because we have not had the one and done players. We have great TEAMS. The face of the team and the style of play change, but year over year we have guys who have played together and know each other.

I, for one, am not disappointed when we lose out on the next one and done guy. Selby didn't do much of anything, and Xavier would likely be though of in much the same way were it not for his family ties to KU.

Tonight we will see a great team battle great players. My heart wants KU to win this like no other, and I believe historically the great team prevails over the great players. If the great TEAM in Kansas brings its "A game" they will prevail, even if the great PLAYERS bring theirs as well.

4Runner 2 years ago

I was there in the Phog Saturday night and then down on Mass,,, What an unbelievable experience!! There simply is no other place to watch a college basketball game that could be as good as, or better than Phog Allen Fieldhouse!! Hands down!

And for those recruits who didn't sign up to represent KU on the basketball court,,, your loss, our gain. Because if you had, we wouldn't have some of the gutsiest guys that we have. Collectively our boys have a resolve to never, and I do mean NEVER, give up. As a team they have a heart that will not quit. Thanks for the ride guys,,, Honored to be represented by you and proud to support you. RCJH GO KU!

Congrats to Coach Self on a recognition that really is a no brainer,,, Naismith Coach of The Year!

Ben Kane 2 years ago

what an amazing season. this has been a true joy to watch.

one game to go. Rock Chalk!

KansasComet 2 years ago

This Kansas Team is ready. We have the talent and belief to do it. There is nothing left to do, but prove it on the court. Talk by players means nothing right now! Survive and advance!!! To the Championship Trophy!!!! Let's go Jayhawks!!!

kansas25 2 years ago

It's the University of Kansas not Kansas University. And yes, they are going to win!!!

KULA 2 years ago

Let's see--Saturday, the "pundits" were picking Ohio St. because according to their "punditry," when teams meet for the second time in a season, the loser of the first meeting has the advantage. So I guess that means they'll all be picking Kansas in the game tonight.

I'll tell you what I like about this team. It's something I saw and commented on early in the season, and it's something the 07 & 08 squads had. It's their mental and physical toughness down the stretch in a tight game. When the game is tight in the last few minutes, they go eye to eye and toe to toe, and their toughness makes the other guys knees buckle. I first saw it in the Florida game of Dec. 06, when we overpowered the defending National Champs. And it happened over and over in those two seasons (notably against Texas) culminating in the National Championship over Memphis. And that's what I started seeing in this year's squad. I think it started in the first Ohio State game, and happened in a few more tight games during the regular season, with the best example being win over Missouri. And this whole tournament has been the best example to date--the mental and physical toughness to IMPOSE YOUR WILL on the other team down the stretch.

And I will give Head Coach Bill Self total credit for this. I've ragged and dissed him for the early tournament flops the last two years, but I will give him total credit for breaking through this season and coaching this team to greatness. This is the Bill Self toughness that we saw in the 07 & 08 teams, and what should be the trademark for Bill Self Basketball--Mental and Physical toughness to the point of breaking the other team.

And that's what I think is going to happen in tonight's game. Even though Kentucky has more physically talented players, we have more mentally tough players. We will keep the game close, and down the stretch, our veterans mental toughness will win out and those young inexperienced kids from Kentucky will break.

And we will hang another banner in Allen Field House.

Rock Chalk -- Jayhawk -- KU...........

Drew Bender 2 years ago

I think they were referring to KU's veteran leadership from juniors and seniors that is similar to that of a mid major team

Brendan Connolly 2 years ago

I don't think the article said the Kansas program was a mid major, I think it said this edition with how shallow (meaning not deep) and small margin of error is closer to the mid majors that have made runs than a typical Kansas team.

bbeckum 2 years ago

Just watched the full press conference from today on ncaa.org. Some guy asked hcbs what he thought about KU being called a high mid-major. (I think he was referring to a story on cbssports.com) He handled the question with class, as usual. But how can you call the second-winningest program in college basketball a high mid major? How can the team the holds the record for most wins in a six year period be a high mid major? I know those columnists are under pressure to find a new slant for an article, but that just seems like ignorance.

rodriguez33 2 years ago

Here's a nice little recap of the tournament thus far, in case you need to get pumped up for tonight's game. Rock Chalk!