Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Prep big man Kaleb Tarczewski to visit KUUA

Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the top-ranked players in the class of 2012.

Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the top-ranked players in the class of 2012.

Blue-chip high school senior basketball big man Kaleb Tarczewski will make official recruiting visits to Kansas University and Arizona before choosing a college.

Tarczewski’s AAU coach, John Carroll of the New England Playaz, told cbssports.com that the 7-footer out of St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., would attend KU’s Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 14 then attend Arizona’s Red-Blue game on Oct. 22. Tarczewski has no plans to visit his third finalist, North Carolina.

Tarczewski, who is ranked No. 20 nationally by Rivals.com, visited KU unofficially with his parents in June.

He had originally planned to announce his choice prior to the start of his senior year (Sept. 9), but has had difficulty in choosing between KU and U of A.

White’s visits

Andrew White a 6-6 senior forward from Miller School in Chester, Va., who attended Saturday’s Legends of the Phog, will visit West Virginia this weekend, Texas on Oct. 7 and Louisville Oct. 14. He’s rated No. 56 in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com.

Sanders to Stanford

Unranked Christian Sanders, a 6-3 senior shooting guard from Houston’s St. Thomas High, has orally committed to Stanford. Sanders, who is the son of former KU guard Brad Sanders, chose Stanford over Maryland, Colorado and Harvard.

“Coach (Johnny) Dawkins talked about me being a part of their winning,” Sanders told ESPN.com. “This was a tough decision because of all the great relationships that you build with the coaches.”

Self visits Peters

Zach Peters, a 6-9, 235-pound senior power forward from Prestonwood Christian High in Plano, Texas, orally committed to KU way back on April 21, 2010. He recently welcomed KU coach Bill Self for an in-home visit.

“We just watched football and hung out for two or three hours. We just actually watched some football and did some talking,” Peters told jayhawkslant.com. “It was cool to just talk and relax with coach Self.”

Anderson update

Jeff Goodman of cbssports.com reports that New Mexico, UNLV and Tennessee have expressed interest in 6-9 Canadian big man Braeden Anderson, who recently left KU after not being cleared for a scholarship by the Big 12.

Comments

texashawk10 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm curious as to what Braeden Anderson's situation does with KU's scholarship situation for next year. On KU's site, it says that Justin Wesley, Niko Roberts, and Christian Garrett are all walk-ons this year. Is Bill Self going to leave Anderson's scholarship open so he can bring in another recruit in the 2012 class or is he going to give it to one of those 3 players. Personally, I hope that Self leaves this scholarship on the table to bring in another player for 2012 because of the number of top flight recruits KU still has a chance at. KU's front court is going to be very crowded next year with the additions of Peters and Ellis (and hopefully Tarc) and will leave the back court a lot thinner than we're used to seeing. I'm hoping that Self can land a PG/SG with this scholarship instead of giving it to one of the current walk-ons unless Juenemann isn't on scholarship yet, but I'm pretty sure he is this year.

Jory Collins 10 years, 2 months ago

Scholarships are 1 year renewable. He can give Braeden's schollie to one those guys this year and use it on another in the 2012 or 13 class if he wants.

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Nothing against Teahan, who deserves his scholarship for the years he has contributed, but if Self hadn't given him the scholie, we might have had Daniels on the roster. We were all out when he was checking for some sort of financial aid. So. I would imagine Self would think twice before giving away the house.

Sure hope Tarc's parents were impressed during their visit. He would fit the rotation perfectly, just as Aldrich did his freshman year. Talk him up, Danny.

Don't know anything about the Papapetrou kid, but judging from the list of interested schools, he obviously has talent. Remember, Kahn attended the same Florida school, and he proved out very well over the long term.

Muhammad seems doubtful, but maybe we'll get lucky. And Self seems high on White, about whom I know very little.

Meanwhile, Jackson, so it seems, needs to work on his classwork to qualify.

xfitter 10 years, 2 months ago

Daniels was looking for financial aid work because he had let the time frame for signing a national letter of intent in time. So he could only apply for financial aid with the school of his choosing, which binded the school to him but not the other way around.

55jayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

If Braeden Anderson is being considered by New Mexico, UNLV, & Tennessee, how can he be cleared to those schools and the Big 12 could not clear him?

lothario64118 10 years, 2 months ago

The B12 does not accept partial qualifiers in the conference. Those schools mentioned in those conference may.

doubled96 10 years, 2 months ago

One more thing you can thank Texas for. Some schools fought Texas about this as it was important to allow partials for football. Texas didn't need partials with the plethora of talent they have in state, and eventually everyone bowed down to Texas as usual.

lee3022 10 years, 2 months ago

As I have read it, the Big 12 could have cleared him. The athletic representatives met and turned him down. I do not know if they ever clear someone but why go through the charade if not?

Lance Hobson 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm betting the Arizona's game will be a dud. Nothing beats Late Night in the Phog.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 2 months ago

The name says it all, Red-Blue game. That's all they could come up with?

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

memhawk - they were going to try "Doldrums in the Desert" but they weren't sure what it meant.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

The Sand in your Buttcrack Game. The Sunburn Classic. The Bake, Rattlesnake and Dull Scrimmage The Hot-As-Hell Hoedown.

Joe Baker 10 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. I can't believe all they do is a simple game. I'm sure Miller will pull out the stops for Tarc. Don't under estimate Miller's recruiting ability. He's becoming a regular Calipari with recruiting.

I would say our advantages are: DMan, Tharpe, Late Night and a better overall tradition. I think his mom is big on KU too. I think like Ellis, Tarc is giving zona some love after all Miller is doing late in his recruiting. Tarc himself said that KU has recruited him the longest. I really don't trust Miller.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 2 months ago

UA is on the rise again. KU is always on the mountain top though. It will be an impressive front if Kaleb signs on.

I missed the whole Anderson deal somehow...wow.

Any more info on Andrew White? How the heck do you not just emphatically say YES to KU after witnessing the Legends game!!!

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 2 months ago

more information on the Braeden Anderson situation please?

Saying that he "recently left KU" could mean that he left campus at the start of the semester to wait until he was cleared by the NCAA, but that he remains committed to KU and honoring his letter of intent, or it could mean that he has been released from his letter of intent and has reopened his recruitment.

The way that it is presented, it sounds like the latter, but something in my gut tells me that its not that cut and dried yet.

FarSideHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

He didn't get clearance to play at KU by Big 12 (because of multiple schools, Canada, etc, he was deemed a partial qualifier by the NCAA), so he couldn't get the scholarship. Big 12 could have ruled in his favor as an exception, but they didn't.
The only way he could play at KU would have been be as a walk-on, but he can't afford tuition money.

Sad situation.

lee3022 10 years, 2 months ago

He was not permitted to enroll for fall term even though he was allowed to attend summer sessions. Without money for tuition he was hung out to dry by the NCAA, especially with their late ruling. It appears that, to the NCAA, Braeden is just another rule that they can enforce instead of a real person with real hopes and aspirations. I have read nothing in his story that should have caused this punitive action. Mostly I am disappointed that it came so late.

utahjayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Kaleb, remember we've got Coach Manning. UA dosen't have anyone that can develop big-man talent like Danny. 'Nuff said.

Ryan Beddie 10 years, 2 months ago

that is only partially true. Yes we have Manning but Arizona just had a big Man named Derrick Williams who was the 2nd overall pick in this years draft after not being a highly touted recruit nationally. That definitely has to have some kind of impact on him. So obviously the coaching staff at Arizona can develop big men. Jordan Hill was a top 10 pick 2 years back so they have the tools. I think what seperates us from UA will be the Late night atmosphere. the crowd will show him lots of love.

utahjayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Agreed, but getting drafted is one thing -- having a long established career by getting mentored on the ins/outs of the league by someone that acutally lived that life is quite another. I know they don't have anyone like that on staff.

Nobody's going to debate the atmosphere between Allen and whatever gym UA is in -- at least by anyone that has one iota of college BB intelligence.

Benz Junque 10 years, 2 months ago

Anf who is having that long, established NBA career after being mentored by Manning, Cole Aldrich? Isn't he playing in the NBADL?

I agree that Manning is one of the best big man coaches in the nation, but don't get carried away.

lee3022 10 years, 2 months ago

An entirely different type of player than Kaleb. A big man at 7 feet needs to play with his back to the basket and learn how to score that way. Williams was primarily a wing, shooting threes and put backs. The talent was there but he is a different cat than Kaleb (see what I did there?)

Ryan Beddie 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree Kaleb and Williams are completely different players. The point I was trying to make was that both schools will offer him the opportunity to get to the league. We all know Manning gets the most out of his players at KU. Would Kaleb not realize the same potential at AU because they don't have Manning?, that's totally up for debate. Recent history would say it doesn't matter where he would go.

Let's just hope we get him and Manning and Self can work their magic.

dylans 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm hoping kaleb is a bird not a cat.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

As much as I would like for Braeden to do what is required and come back to KU, what would be best for Braeden, IMHO, would be to find a program with a respected coach and a school with good academics that he can fit into now.

UNLV: Aside from the city of Las Vegas still being largely a gambling skank tank, and UNLV having the academic credentials of a juco built on desert tortoise habitat, Dave Rice replaced Okie Baller Lon Kruger, who had previously flushed Rice as an assistant the minute Kruger took the UNLV job. Let's see: Rice was an assistant for Tark clone Tim Grgurich. End of quality discussion. UNLV's old habits die hard. Parenthetically, Rice seems a breaking bad for exKUer Quintrel Thomas, who shoulda stayed put in Larryland, aferall. Or maybe he got lucky and hitched a ride on the interstate with Kruger down to Norman? Either way, Braeden, stay the heck of Runnin' Gamblers country.

UTenn: UTenn is a decent school and Knoxville is a good town, but...how long will it take Cuonzo Martin to drain the Pearl Swamp and Cess Pools that Honest Bruce left teaming with basketball dysentery? And does any one really know whether Cuonzo got his player educated at Missouri State? If he got them degreed and on there way, UTenn could be a possibility, but if Cuonzo is the terrific coach he appears, is he going to be a lifer at a football school like UTenn? Can Braeden plug into a community there that will make him a part of it for life, the way The Legacy does in Lawrence? Probably not. Still Cuonzo is someone you have at least to consider, because he is most certainly a comer. What Self says about Cuonzo is probably your best barometer of that situation.

gchawk 10 years, 2 months ago

"..........juco built on desert tortoise habitat". Classic !

79ictjhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

good but I liked....."how long will it take Cuonzo Martin to drain the Pearl Swamp and Cess Pools that Honest Bruce left teaming with basketball dysentery?".....even better !

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Quintrell had a choice in leaving. Self needed his and Appelton's scholarship's for Xavier and TROB.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

New Mexico: To his eternal credit, Steve Alford who wins at a 2:1 ratio, but can't get past the first two rounds of Madness, survived Bob Knight's dysfunctions as a collegian, and then defied Knight by taking the Iowa job, thus breaking Knight's cowardly unwritten rule of thou shalt not become a coach against me at another Big Ten school. They seem to have had little to do with each other since; which is another sign that Alford has character. To escape the clutches of a reputed serial player abuser shows strength of character. Alford also found a way to get something our to JJ Gidden's seemingly lost career after Gidden's KU debacle. And playing in the Snake Pit has its attractions, so Braedon might want to consider UNM, especially if he might like to live in New Mexico one day. But will Alford ever build a family at UNM that he can be a part of forever? Probably not, but I don't know the UNM program much. I only know it has a history pre Alford of some awful corruption, and such universities that clean up their acts under one strong willed coach, as UNLV did under Kruger, often back slide if the strong willed coach moves on. Corruption likes its pool cleaned once in a while so that a fresh cycle of pollution can be inflicted on the naive and unspecting who thought that virtue once restored, does not have to be guarded.

So: if I am Braeden, I go to Coach Self and look him in the eye and I say, "I want to be a Jayhawk more than anything, Coach, and I'm willing to go to a Juco for two years, if you will take me back in two. Otherwise, I think maybe I ought to go to New Mexico. What do you think?" Then pay less attention to what Self says and more attention to what is in his eyes, to his body language. If he says he thinks UNM is your best bet, don't doubt him. Just call Alford. But if he says, "I want you back, but I can't promise anything, because of the level competition for recruits," then you've got to look in his eyes. He really can't promise anything two years down the road. But he may, or may not want you back. You got your chance at KU that you got, because he was in a bind. Self has a history of looking after those that help and look after him. If you have been a hard worker and good student, he will probably want you, even if its only as a glue big down the road. The eyes will tell. If the eyes say he'll keep the door open for you if he can, I say hold out for KU. There is no substitute for aligning yourself with good people early.

Rock Chalk, Braeden!

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

If Tarczewski picks UA over KU after Late Night, then the decision had everything to do with immediate playing time and nothing to do with Danny or the KU environment.

milehighhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I think he would get some serious minutes if he came here, actually. It's not like we have a ton of big guys (T-Rob who likely will be gone, and Withey, and....)

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 2 months ago

Agree, it would have nothing to do with playing time.

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree, but with Peters and Ellis coming in at the same time, his "perception" of potential playing time will be a factor and will used by UA to influence his decision. The perceived amount of immediate playing time is huge reason many top recruits pass on KU.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 2 months ago

Peters and Ellis are Power Forwards they are not true centers. So the perception they would provide competition at center would be wrong. The only true center this team currently has is Withey and I currently don't see him as competition unless he shows us a lot more this year and even if he does he would only be here for another year.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

I really think it all centers on the magnetism of a short, plump, swarthy complected man in cheap suits. I think that explains 99% of why Kaleb must be feeling so attracted to Aridzona.

Sean Miller is like Ashton Crutcher compared to Bill Self. Self lacks charisma. He's not handsome. He isn't hilarious. He isn't a great people person. Self has just won 84% of his games, filled the NBA with his players from KU and Illinois, and won a ring.

How can that compare with this stud, Sean Miller?

Miller oozes the same kind of charisma John Calipari and Thad Matta do.

Miller, Calipari, and Matta are the kinds of guys that women melt for the moment they see them.

Self is this noodge who couldn't get a date if his life depended on it.

Sean Miller is just impossible for Self to out recruit, unless Self brings stuff under the table to the recruiting process.

Sean Miller is like the George Flippin' Clooney of College Basketball.

Bill Self is like Jack Black.

I know if I had a daughter, man, I would be hoping she gave it up for Sean Miller.

He's got that special something.

Aw, heck, I don't know for sure.

I don't know why Kaleb has the hots for Sean Miller, do you?

JayDocMD 10 years, 2 months ago

I respectfully disagree with the idea that Self lacks charisma. The man would be a very successful politician. He has woo'ed his share of recruits and parent with his "awe-shucks" Oklahoma charm.

Regarding Sean "Clooney" Miller and his apparent animal magnetism (? don't see it personally); I'm pretty sure most of these guys aren't looking for someone they are attracted to. (I can't speak for Josiah Turner.)

I think the mirage in the desert built by Miller had more to do with the ability to offer playing time to all-comers. When he first arrived, the cupboard was essentially bare. That well will run dry soon enough. (Excuse me while I mix metaphors.) Follow that up with with the appeal of AZ and its well-known campus party atmosphere and an 18 y/o kid who doesn't know better asks "where do I sign?"

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

I think you totally missed the tongue in cheek on this...

utahjayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I can't see where he wouldn't have immediate playing time at his position.

lee3022 10 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone really know Kaleb? He seems well adjusted so why not trust him to make his own decision based on the merits by his own priorities. KU does not need to shrink from head to head competition for recruits. We have been turning out All American big men for some time and will likely do it again with Kaleb. Perhaps Arizona can accomplish the same but so far have not had much success. When I say big men, I mean back-to-the-basket players who can play the post. Channing Frye is strictly a 3-point shooter. Derrick Williams is mostly a wing - 3-point shooter and put-back rebounder. I cannot remember when they produced a post banger. Jordan Hill is an undersized big (6-10, 235) who has a 13.1 PER after 4 years in the NBA.

So we likely don't know what Kaleb is prioritizing. He may prefer hot and dry to four seasons. I am appreciative he is with us this far to consider for the final decision.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 2 months ago

Maybe if we explain to him that Dyngus Day is a JHawk celebration tradtion equalled only by Late Night & NC's we have a good shot? Ya think JB? Only fun intended.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 2 months ago

DD is the Polish holiday for Easter, celebrated on the day after (Monday). Juussssst... a little bit later than most celebrations. The surname is likely of German/Polish/Russian pedigree. Only 3 vowels & not nearly as many consonants as you know who. Most definitely has a nickname or two. If not, we'll come up with something suitable I'm sure. Again, only fun intended.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

"Sean Miller and the Phoenix in Tucson, or Forget the Unfair Guilt by Association"

Sean Miller's dad was a Pennsylvannia high school basketball coach.

Sean went to college at Pit and played for Paul Evans.

Paul Evans was an early muscle baller, who started coaching bang ball at Navy, for much the same reason Knight pioneered one brand of bang ball at Army earlier. It was expedient given the talent limitations of the service academies.

Evans ticket out of Annapolis was footer and future NBAer David Robinson, who grew up like a trellass-ed snap pea plant into a footer at the academy, rather than having entered it one.

Evans jumped to Pitt and hired John Calipari to recruit for him. :-)

Promptly, All-Americans Charles Smith and Jerome Lane showed up at Pitt...already long a basketball mecca, at that time, as we all well recall. :-)

Next Cal recruited a Pennsylvannia high school coach's son, because he was such a great basketball player. :-)

His name was Sean Miller.

But Cal also signed Brian Shorter, Jerry McCullough, and Eric Mobley for back-up insurance in case the overwhelmingly big and skilled Sean Miller did not pan out. :-)

Regardless, Sean learned bang ball from Evans and recruiting standards from John Calipari. :-)

I feel good about Sean already, don't you?

Next, though its hard to say, for certain, Sean apparently cut his teeth for a year as a graduate assistant at Wisconsin under Stu Jackson.

You remember Stuie, right? Stu started as a recruiting coordinator for Slick Rick at Providence, then landed at Wisconsin, where he took a mediocre program and made it into a corrupt almost good program before leaving under a dark cloud. Stu appears stalked by controversy where ever he has gone. Among many interesting incidents he chose not to suspend Rajon Rondo for more or less attacking Kirk Hinrich during an NBA game. It was probably a judgement call, right? Kirk has always been such a phenomenally dirty player, right? :-)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, it seems as though Tarc is truly having trouble deciding between KU and UA. Nothing wrong with that! I just wish Tarc cold have come to the Legends game! No way Late Night matches the electricity of the Legends game.

Credit Miller for doing a great job with recruiting. He in turn is doing exactly what Bill Self did his first 3 years at KU in terms of recruiting in 2004, 2005, and 2006. I think it would be ironic if Tarc would commit after Late Night and not take his visit to UA, but I truly don't think that happens.

Turner was suppose to make Late Night last year, but never made it to Late Night because he committed after a football game on his visit to UA. Let's hope Tarc's delay in his commitment is good for KU.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

So: Sean Miller's first three influences away from home were a bang baller, Cal, and Stu Jackson. He definitely got off on the right foot. :-)

From Wisconsin, Sean Miller became an assistant at Miami of Ohio, where he was mentored by that tower of "doing it the right way," Herb Sendek. :-)

Sean Miller shortly returned to his alma mater, Pitt, to brielfy assist Ralph Willard, who had replaced Paul Evans at Pitt.

Ralph Willard, lest we forget, has been a long time Slick Rick Pitino protege, who back in ought 9 became Slick Rick's Associate Head Coach at Club dville near the horse track.

So Sean Miller, after benefitting from introductory bang ball instruction, Calipari style recruiting exposure, a kind of Stu Jackson seminar in sports ethics, followed by an introduction to the Slick Rick school of smooth, well, he was yet again kissed by shady lady luck offering him a chance to reunite for the second time with, drum roll please, Herbie Sendak in his UNC Wolf Pack incarnation.

Sendak and Miller had some "luck" at recruiting at NC State, before Sendak, after reputedly feeling insufficiently loved, bailed for ASU.

Somewhere during those under-loved Sendak Wolf Pack years, though, Sean Miller realized his next step in being groomed for a head coaching job was to come and assist Thad Matta at Xavier, who naturally enough needed a bit of a goose in recruiting.

Thad and Sean quickly stocked the Xavier larder sufficiently to catapult Thad to The Ohio State University, and Sean Miller into the head coaching job of Xavier. Sometimes things just happen to work out for the best at small Catholic colleges in the Ohio River valley. :-)

Perhaps it would be piling on unfair guilt by association to add parenthetically that Thad Matta was perhaps hired to The Ohio State University at a time during which The Ohio State University athletic director was apparently completely unaware of any potentially significant violations in a football program that would only recently be found to have run amok by the NCAA. Again, Thad Matta was hired from Xavier by a The Ohio State University athletic department that was apparently just clueless about NCAA infractions in football, where the university had been a vaunted cornerstone of NCAA D1 football. Just image how little that same athletic department would have known about the potential for abuses in its step sister basketball program were they to have, perish the thought, ever occurred. And upon landing at The Ohio State University, Thad Matta, late of Xavier, was able to instantly begin landing a significant number of very, very highly ranked recruits. Oh, but that's not fair to The Ohio State University, or to Thad, or indirectly to Sean. So let's just forget that!

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, while at Xavier by himself, Sean Miller took Xavier to new heights of excellence with a gifted bunch of players that most any team in any power conference would have found roles for, or so it seemed to yours truly. Such is the recruiting magnetism of Sean Miller.

And then came that moment when Sean Miller realized that he needed to take the next step to a "University of" level program. Quite logically, he decided on a school in a state just coincidentally caught up in the throes of a bonafide drug war on its Mexico border.

Quite logically, he applied for a job at a school with a once storied program under a helmut haired, psychologically troubled coach who could not decide when to quit and when to stay.

Sean Miller picked a program where an interim head coach, Kevin O'Neill had been jerked half way into the next century, before being dumped.

Sean Miller landed the Aridzona head job, and immediately recruiting took off like it had at the other schools that he had assisted and head coached at.

Immediately, recruits saw through the mess that was Aridzona basketball, and immediately recruits families understood that sending their sons to a state convulsed in drug wars, was the most rational basketball career path imaginable.

It just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and reassured that Arizona's Phoenix-like rise in Tucson from the ashes of its Lute and Kevin fiascoes, and in spite of its drug wars, is happening "the right way."

This is of course entirely unfair guilt by association.

Sean has a clean record.

Sean is like Paul Evans, Cal, Stu Jackson, Ralph Willard, Herb Sendek, and Thad Matta, er, well, perhaps not Cal and Stu, completely untouched by controversy.

In the end, you are judged for what you do and at the same time what you get caught for doing. So far so good with Sean, regardless of whom he learned this remarkable ability to recruit from.

So Sean gets an uneasy pass from yours truly, unless or until something definitive surfaces.

snb1985hawks 10 years, 2 months ago

Met Tarc at the jayhawk invitational several years back before I even new KU was recruiting him. What impressed me was his ability to run the floor and his soft hands. We get him along with Shabazz (who also played that night) and we will be tough to beat next year.

Joe Baker 10 years, 2 months ago

Anything is possible with Shabaaz at this point. His recruiting is wide open or maybe eyes wide shut. Your guess is as good as the next person.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

"When Slang Turns into Bad Basketball Cliches (Some that I've Even Used and Shouldn't Have):"

~Run the floor. Why not "he runs well"?

~Score the ball. Why not "he can score"?

~Come up big. Why not "he really played like a guy getting an erection the moment the woman wanted him to"?

~Spot up. Why not "accurate when open"?

And so on.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

"Some Things Aridzona Has that KU Cannot Match"

~heat capable of cooking gila monster fillets on a rock.

~jumping cactus that will sink phenomenal amounts of thorns in your leg.

~scorpions under most rocks.

~tarantulas under rocks without scorpions.

~ratttle snakes behind rocks with either scorpions, or tarantulas.

~John McCain leaping from image to image hoping he will finally find one appealing enough to get elected President.

~Elected officials being shot by really weird looking programmed assassins.

~August monsoons in a flipping desert.

~Rivers that run for days at a time.

~More right wing nuts than grains of sand and its mostly desert.

~Acutely sensitive people that worship crystals and colonics in Sedona.

~Unscheduled light plane landings at night along the border that often crash and result in lizards and snakes addicted to illegal narcotics.

~abulance sirens sounding every three minutes for retired snow birds that have just flat lined.

~summer, night time lows in the low 100s.

~dust that has to be surgically removed from one's nose three weeks into summer.

~heat stroke being viewed as a means to weight loss.

~insignificant basketball tradition predating the Clinton Administration.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Ted Hume 10 years, 2 months ago

anyone wonder if Self is feeling a little nervous about the recently discussed topic of Peters' bright football future, and paid a visit to try and keep him focused on the early signing period and not, say, being tempted by all the big-time football recruiters who are starting to call on him (Bob Stoops, anyone?)

KUbsee69 10 years, 2 months ago

Can anyone definitively advise on how Kaleb's last name is pronounced?

Is it tar-zoo-ski?

Just wondering, because I believe he'll be a Jayhawk.

utahjayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure but it's good to be prepared!

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

I see a small problem with Kaleb, nothing that would discourage me from signing him or anything, but an issue still.

He's got a loooooong neck.

Unless he grows to 7'2", or 7'4", that will make him play more a like a 6'9" guy.

KU of course has proven it can put up a lot of Ws with 6'9" centers.

So, c'mon Kaleb. Come to KU.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

Showing my age, but waaaayyyy back in the 60's, Kansas had a basketball player named Vernon Vanoy, who was named the Big 8 Sophomore of the year. The next year he played football at defensive end.

Although a decent player, he didn't grow into the stud they thought he would and, simultaneously, his basketball skills suffered so much that he ended up just an OK player in both sports.

Zach needs to be careful not to fall into the same trap. Since I played both sports in high school, I'd say the odds of getting hurt in football are ten times more likely versus basketball.

I stopped playing full contact football when I was 18. I stopped playing full court basketball when I was 53.

Just sayin'.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 2 months ago

C'mon Oak, it wasn't that long ago...or was it? Vanoy also played tight end on offense. I remember when the Converse salesman came by our gym to sell shoes, he showed us a pair that were for Vernon and they were like size 18-just mammoth. He really was a monster-sized guy. But correct, I don't think he ever acheived the level of athletic performance they expected of him. Was clumsy on the court, quite foul proned. HS guys are much so stronger & faster & injury risk in FB is much greater now than ever. Unless they're exceptionally gifted, dedicated effort is definitely the best option for targeting the next level. I think some kids just have too much seratonin in the brain & have to do something all the time. However, that's much more desireable than being laid back too much as you may have to put explosives under their butt just to get 'em to take out the trash!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

Is it possible HCBS could sell Kaleb on the idea that:

1] An awsome lineup would be a double post of Jeff and Kaleb, with Zach as the power forward and Perry as the wing with The Prophet running the show

2] Withey was a Wildcat and is now a Jayhawk.

3] Anything named Wildcat is bad [Kansas State, Kentucky, Arizona, a Goldie Hawn movie]

4] Mother knows best...stay away from all those promiscuous girls in Tucson.

5] Thanks to global warming, it's no longer cold in Lawrence in January

Kevin Huffman 10 years, 2 months ago

Not sure why, but I'm pretty convinced that we'll get Kaleb. Reminds me of a bit more offensively-talented Aldrich.

Now, having said that I bet Muhammad goes to UA.

TrickShot 10 years, 2 months ago

KU has been after Tarc the longest. He's had more than enough information to make a decision. It's gotten to the point where it's like stringing along a girlfriend because you don't want to hurt her feelings, when you're not really happy. If he takes the trip to AZ, I don't expect to see him here, but I could be surprised.

DCLawHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

As OakvilleJHawk points out, Withey left UA for KU and plays the same position. If anyone can convince Tarc that KU is the better place to be, it's Withey. C'mon Jeff! Hone your recruiting pitch and get ready to deliver it. Someone might also want to point out that a certain Dr. Naismith left Massachusetts for Kansas, and that worked out pretty well...

100 10 years, 2 months ago

Sadly, a few days ago, one of Sean Miller's basketball players was shot with a handheld gun in the knee & the hand.

FlCat 10 years, 1 month ago

That same player, Kevin Parrom, is still recovering from a gunshot wound he sufferred during a trip home to see his ailing mother. While he was home, he was apparently visiting an "old friend" when her jealous boyfriend walked in. Not too happy, he and anotyer man escorted him into an adjacent room,,where a gun was pulled. Supposedly, there was a struggle, couple of rounds went off which grazed Parrom's knee and hand. Sounds like he was very fortunate in that it could have been a fatal and tragic accident. Now, this kids basketball career is in serious jeapordy. To top it all off, his mother passed away yesterday. Very tough offseason for this kid, thats for sure. Thoughts and prayers for sure! RIP.

lee3022 10 years, 2 months ago

The speculation here about Kaleb seems natural and normal for our site. But, as usual, we seem to actually know little about him. We know he is highly ranked by the rating services. We know he can run and score well. We know he is a thoughtful and wise recruit because KU still appears at the top of his list. We know we will be better if he chooses to come to Kansas. We know that there is plenty of playing time here, on a bright national stage, for Kaleb to learn and grow toward maximizing his talents.

But KU will have a great basketball team with really strong depth and versatility in every position. With Kaleb we vault into that last step and play for the NC.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 2 months ago

Come on Kaleb, lawrence awaits you!!!!!

Is that picture of Kaleb taken at Cameron Indoor? Or just some little high school? ;)

chefmattie 10 years, 1 month ago

After all the articles out of Tucson from the Red Blue weekend…A picture worth a thousand words. (The Arizona Daily Star) T.K and J.T. that’s former “97 National Title “Ouch”; Arizona guard and Dallas Mavericks NBA champion Jason “Jet” Terry together laughing it up next to Lute Olson, and about a dozen more former, now NBA payers, Channing Fry, Richard Jefferson, Chase Budger, Andre Iguodala, for some names. And another picture of Terc in his seat next to Brandon Ashley, and the rest of the gang that makes up the best 2012 recruiting class…Oh Well