Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Remember him? Tech QB Seth Doege — KU’s next foe — lighting up stat sheet

Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege attempts a pass against Texas A&M in this Oct. 24, 2009 file photo in Lubbock, Texas. Doege, who has thrown 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions this season, will lead the Red Raiders to Lawrence to take on Kansas University on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

In 2009, with Texas Tech quarterbacks suffering injuries all around him, a freshman named Seth Doege was thrust into a starting role for then-head coach Mike Leach’s high-octane passing offense.

Doege’s first start came in front of more than 47,000 Red Raiders fans on Halloween day. The opponent? Kansas University.

Doege finished 14-of-28 passing for 159 yards and one touchdown in Tech’s 42-21 victory against the Jayhawks and appeared to be on his way to becoming the latest potent passer in Leach’s offense.

A year later, Leach was gone, and Doege was back on the bench. During 2010, Tommy Tuberville’s first season in Lubbock, Texas, Doege appeared in just two games, both in relief appearances, and finished with 58 yards on 3-of-4 passing.

As Doege, this year’s starter, prepares for his encore performance against the Jayhawks — 11 a.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium — the 6-foot-1 junior from Wolfforth, Texas, leads a much different Red Raiders’ attack.

“I feel good about our running game,” Doege said. “I feel that in years past, if the passing game wasn’t all on point, then we were kind of in a hole offensively. I felt like on Saturday night (in a 35-34 victory against Nevada), the passing game wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. We relied on the running game, which is good. So I’m excited about our running game. I feel like we could run it on anybody. I feel like we are going to have the advantage there yet.”

In Saturday’s victory over Nevada, which Tech won on a pass from Doege with 44 seconds to play, the Red Raiders ran for 219 yards on 38 carries and passed for 222 yards on 38 attempts.

“I think they can beat you both ways,” KU coach Turner Gill said of Texas Tech. “Being able to run the ball and also being able to throw the ball. They’re gonna do both a little more completely now and that brings a big challenge.”

Not only are the Red Raiders a more balanced offensive team under Tuberville, but Doege has turned into a dual threat of sorts. In last week’s victory, he ran nine times for 83 yards.

“I feel like I can do some things with my feet,” Doege said. “I’m not going to outrun anybody. But if the play breaks down, if I go through my read and I can do it — if I can take off and run — I can get a few yards.”

Doege’s preferred method of gaining yards remains the pass. Through three games, Doege has gotten off to a blazing start, completing 89 of 115 passes (77 percent) for 949 yards, 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Those numbers include a record-setting performance against New Mexico two weeks ago, when Doege completed 40 of 44 passes in the Red Raiders’ victory. Doege’s 90.9 completion percentage was the highest in NCAA history for a QB with at least 40 completions. And because of that, Tuberville said his team would continue to lean on the right arm of its starting quarterback.

“We’ll throw first, run second,” said Tuberville, when asked if Tech’s recent rushing success had made him rethink his offense. “But we are going to take what they give us, depending on what they do, depending on how many people they put on the line of scrimmage. We are not saying every game we are going to throw it no matter what you do, you just don’t do that.”

Although his hot start and his team’s solid numbers have made Doege feel good about Tech’s offense, the veteran QB said he realized things were about to change with the Red Raiders set to jump into Big 12 play. Asked Monday what he knew about KU, Doege was vague but respectful.

“I know they are a Big 12 opponent. I know it’s the first conference game and I know they will be excited to play us. I haven’t watched too much to have a really good feeling, but we need to be ready to play. Every Big 12 game is a big game.”

Added Tuberville: “(Kansas) will be the best team that we’ve played, so we want to make sure that we give ourselves a chance.”

Dorsey expected back

After weeks of announcing that one of his players would miss some time because of an injury, KU coach Turner Gill got the chance to reveal the opposite on Monday morning.

During the weekly Big 12 coaches teleconference, Gill told reporters that Patrick Dorsey was on pace to return from a foot injury that forced him to miss most the first four weeks of the season.

“I anticipate him to play,” said Gill of the 6-foot, 273-pound defensive tackle’s availability for this week’s Big 12 opener against Texas Tech. “He’s done well as far as practicing right now. As long as he doesn’t have any setbacks, we anticipate him to play. How much, we’ll just see how that goes.”

Dorsey was lost to a broken foot midway through preseason camp in August. He initially was supposed to miss six-to-eight weeks but got back to practice a little quicker than originally thought. The senior from Houston started 11 games in 2010 and finished with 27 tackles and one sack.

His return bolsters a thin defensive line that recently lost starter John Williams to a torn ACL.

Shepherd to play, too

Gill also said that freshman wide receiver JaCorey Shepherd, one of the star’s of KU’s season-opening victory against McNeese State, would return from a groin injury that kept him on the sideline for KU’s loss at Georgia Tech.

“I think everything is on schedule for him,” Gill said. “As long as he doesn’t have any setbacks, he’ll be ready to play, too.”

Shepherd, 5-11, 170, of Mesquite, Texas, caught three balls for 107 yards and two touchdowns in the opener. For the season, he has five receptions for 136 yards and two TDs.

Tuberville familiar with KU staff

Saturday’s match-up will be the second all-time between Gill and Tuberville as head coaches.

The Jayhawks and Red Raiders have not met since 2009, but, in 2006, when Tuberville was at Auburn and Gill was in his first season at Buffalo, the Tigers topped the Bulls, 38-7, at Auburn.

“There’s no carryover there,” Tuberville said. “But I know quite a few of the coaches on their staff. They will be well coached. I know (their) last outing was not very good but neither was ours.”

The Red Raiders have won four straight in the series against the Jayhawks. KU’s last victory against Tech came in 2001, when the Jayhawks topped the Red Raiders, 34-31 in overtime in Lubbock.

Comments

LSHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

This is a game we can win if we play a little D. Go Hawks!

Brennan Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

The game will come down to this..

KU's defense shows up= KU victory!

KU defense continues playing like the worst defensive team in the country= Another Georgia Tech pounding.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 10 months ago

Curiously, I have a feeling Seth Doege is about to have a career day against KU. Hope I'm wrong.

Also hope we don't run that wildcat formation with Rell Lewis anymore. Did that actually work even once against Ga Tech?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Turner has yet to understand that you can also throw out of the wildcat formation. And that's what makes it hard to defend. If only we had a wide receiver that also knew how to play qb that could line up in the wildcat formation and be a serious run/passing threat!

Robert Brock 2 years, 10 months ago

Turner doesn't understand the single-wing?

Alex Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

Haha yeah, he has no familiarity with what it is like to be the QB in an option situation...

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, maybe Turner Gill should shadow Bill Snyder for a few weeks to pick up a few pointers on how to run offensive schemes. It worked fairly well for Mangino.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 10 months ago

You guys need to email Gill and tell him all of these things. If he just had your knowledge and insight we'd be 3-0...

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

I used regular mail. He must not of read my letter. Maybe the white powder substance I also included scared him from reading it.

(disclaimer: ahperantiterrorism does not advocate the use of anthrax)

Keith Hummel 2 years, 10 months ago

As much as it pains me, I've gotta mostly side with ahper on this one. I watched Rell take the ball and run it up the gut time after time for little or no gain, almost never handing it off, and certainly never threatening to pass. The once or twice he did hand it off to Sims, we had decent gains. The Wildcat only works if it fools the defense, but we can't fool anyone if we never switch it up. And why choose Rell Lewis? Obviously Gill knows this style of offense better than almost anyone, so it's all the more curious that it was so one-dimensional and so ineffective. Either our guys don't know what their doing yet, or Gill is purposely holding back the playbook. I'm not anti-Gill - I just don't understand what we're doing with the Wildcat?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Any offensive formation named the Wildcat has got to suck just on pure principle.

Now if they named it the Out-of-Control Pussies..that would be different!!

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Now, now Oakville. You're beginning to sound a little jealous of the grapes.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I was thinking carnally, not kittishly!! :)

bigtex 2 years, 10 months ago

It is all about the offensive system that creates big numbers for the quarterback. Texas Tech had a lot of quarterbacks with big numbers because of the no huddle spread system, heck KU had a quarterback who had big numbers because of the no huddle spread system. Spread system creates an advantage over the defense by producing a faster tempo for the offense. Faster tempo offense keeps the defense from substituting as much and prevents adjustments that would help that defense stop the offense. A better defense can be neutralized by a fast paced offensive system.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If you have the right players to run the offensive system.

bigtex 2 years, 10 months ago

Texas Tech had many different Qbs in that system and most were average Big 12 talent that were coached up to that system. Coaching up players is huge for offensive systems. Bill Snyder proved that again last Saturday by beating Miami. KSU had a below average team but had a great game plan and coached up their players.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If you have the right coaches.

Kirk 2 years, 10 months ago

Or if you have the right consultants who can deliver the right "Aha" moments. I think we should hire a dude who walks Mr. Gill over to the other side of the ball and says, "check this out. It's your defense. Yeah, your team has one, too."

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Since everyone is being mean to me I'm not going to share all my picks this week. But TT covers this one easily.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

Howd'ya do in that Tech v Nevada game? Nevada only put up 17 points against San Jose St. the week before and barely pulled out a win. Then they hang 34 on Tech in Lubbock and score on runs of 56, 25, and 21 yards.

I think we can run with Tech all day. As long as Rell is a cheerleader and Jacorey stretches the field.

Kirk 2 years, 10 months ago

For me, "easily" means we have no viable defensive unit at KU. We're not a bad defensive team. There IS no defensive team.

"Easily" means double the spread, without even blinking. So today that's around 15 points.

No prob.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Can't argue with sound logic and reasoning.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

ah...I know you get lots of crap from the posters but someone has to be the, as the French say.." l'agente provocatuer", so I will not be mean to you today.

David Meredith 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the ball needs to be in the hands of Webb, Sims, Miller, Pierson, or Bourbon... when they go to the Wildcat (Jayhawk) .... there is no pass threat, it is always a run up the middle, and Lewis is at least the 5th best running back on the team.... They are giving away too many plays, and with KU defense, that is deadly

Keith Hummel 2 years, 10 months ago

Agree. I also personally refuse to call it the "Jayhawk" formation until it morphs into something I can be proud of.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 10 months ago

Is the game on TV? Does anyone know?

Jerry Rockhold 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the game is going to be televised on Fox Sports Midwest. It's channel 59 in the KC area if you have Time Warner cable.

gardenjay 2 years, 10 months ago

I think this will be a close game if the fans show up; KU 42 TT 38

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 10 months ago

I am still trying to figure out last week.. You guys go on ahead. I will catch up with you. Hope we have a scheme this week. I think that's why we were out-schemed last game...we didn't have one.

DWWChiefsfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Update of Zach Peters. He is a wide receiver for Prestonwood Christian that plays in Large Private School Division in the DFW area.

On Friday he had 17 receptions for 245 yards and three touchdowns. He was "Honorable Mentioned" for "Offensive Player of the Week" by the Dallas Morning News.

The Quarterback, Jaalen Adkin was the "Player of the Week." His stats were 34-for-58 for 510 yards, seven touchdowns.

Maybe Zach can talk his quarterback into attending KU

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe Gill should talk Zach into playing tight end. Once he gets his best friend, John Randle to commit to Kansas next year, Zach can become a football player!!

DWWChiefsfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I think that John Randle is a retired football player that played with the Vikings.

But, I have seen Julius Randle play and he was the DFW Player of the Year as a Sophomore.

Last year at Late Night the entire Prestonwood Basketball team attended. Zach and Julius were spectacular together and it would be great to see both of them in Lawrence.

Alex Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

+1 You mean you don't want a NFL HOF guy playing basketball here?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, I got the first initial right, at least. :)

DWWChiefsfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I did go to see Julius and Zach play. I was so impressed the way that Zach ran the floor. He would throw it up from anywhere and that is going to require some work. I told Zach that "they're going to love you in Lawrence."

But Julius is unbelievable. I saw him run the length of the court and threw down a monster dunk that it would not surprise me if the back board is still shaking.

These guys are both very good and I sure hope it can be a packaged deal.

100 2 years, 10 months ago

From what I recall reading a few weeks ago, if Kansas beats Texas Tech this weekend, Ahperse will eat his cell-phone.

squawkhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

The positivity on this board is just killing me.

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

So, go back to the blog in Manhattan.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

No offense, but I think "positivity" would be challenged in any Scrabble game in America. Maybe positivism would work.

Your point is cogent, however...... if today's posts were weather systems, it would be raining hot lava!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 10 months ago

Accentuate the positivity. Eliminate the negativity. Look out! His degree's from KSU!

Carolyn Troupe 2 years, 10 months ago

To allow squawkhawk to feel more 'positivity' on this board, he needs to continue to make points that display cogentiality and cogentialism.

Kirk 2 years, 10 months ago