Saturday, September 24, 2011

Matt Tait’s KU football notebook: KU already aware of talented Texas Tech QB

Although Kansas University’s football team won’t face them for another week, the Texas Tech Red Raiders already have the Jayhawks’ attention.

Speaking with reporters after one of three bye-week practices earlier this week, safety Keeston Terry cut in and finished the question when one reporter started to ask about Tech’s offense.

“Forty-for-44, I know,” said Terry, referring to Texas Tech QB Seth Doege’s NCAA record for pass efficiency which he set in a 59-13 victory against New Mexico on Sept. 17. “Playing Texas Tech, they’re gonna throw the ball around, and you gotta defend that. But 40-for-44, that’s very impressive against anybody.”

Doege set a school record by completing his first 15 passes and went on to finish with a 90.9 completion percentage, the highest in NCAA history for a QB with at least 40 completions.

Doege, a junior, enters this weekend’s game against Nevada third in the Big 12 in total offense. His 364 yards-per-game average puts him second behind Oklahoma State senior Brandon Weeden (385), and his 195.4 passer rating ranks third behind two Baylor Bears, Kendall Wright, a receiver who has completed his only two passes of the season, and Robert Griffin III, who sits at 244.5. KU’s Jordan Webb is one spot behind Doege with a rating of 181.5.

Doege’s numbers most certainly will change at 7 tonight, but his overall mystique likely will not. For his career, which included a handful of starts under former Tech coach and offensive guru Mike Leach in 2009, Doege has completed 104 of 142 passes (73 percent) for 1,154 yards and 10 TDs.

With Doege already in their sights, some of the Jayhawks said they’d probably try to watch tonight’s game against Nevada together.

“I’m a big fan of college football, and, when I’m not playing, I like to watch it,” Terry said. “To see things like (Doege’s record) is pretty cool.”

Added KU coach Turner Gill, asked if he thought his players would watch the Red Raiders live: “That’s up to them. I’m sure some of them might get together and watch it, but this is their time. They can do whatever they want with it, and then Sunday we’ll get back to work.”

Terry’s ready.

“Actually, I hope we get the cut-ups this weekend so we can start looking at some film on them,” the Blue Springs, Mo., red-shirt freshman said. “That loss (to Georgia Tech) has stuck with me, and I’m ready to move past it.”

Jayhawks healing

On Wednesday, Gill said he felt several injured players on the Jayhawks’ roster were starting to recover and would be available for the Oct. 1 match-up with Texas Tech.

Senior wide receiver Daymond Patterson (groin) was ruled out for the rest of the season earlier this week, but beyond that, the rest of the Jayhawks on the mend had made good progress during the bye week, most notably senior defensive tackle Patrick Dorsey and freshman wide receiver JaCorey Shepherd.

Also on the list of Jayhawks battling minor injuries are: linebacker Tunde Bakare, center Jeremiah Hatch and cornerback Tyler Patmon. All are expected to be ready for Texas Tech.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 4 months ago

One of these days I'm going to actually read the article before posting.

Fire Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!

VaJay 10 years, 4 months ago

Please do us all a favor and take a an extended vacation from this website. The repetitive, mindless, negative drivel is an annoyance to us all.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 4 months ago

VaJay, the guy is a jerk with some serious head problems! Skip over his comments!

jaymar74 10 years, 4 months ago

Would you like to make a private wager with me that Gill is here next season?

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 4 months ago

Sure, I say he is here and I'll bet 2 million dollars!

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 4 months ago

Where's the ignore button when you really, really need it.

kellerman411 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure that Turner deserves to be fired but, I do wish he would pipe down some of the premature praise he gives to his players. When asked by the media, the great coaches (Carroll, Saben, Stoops) all down play there players perfomance in order to keep the kids humble. Gill was practically on his knees after we squeaked by a MAC team. I can't believe I am saying this about the talented quarterback that Turner Gill was but, I'm not sure the guy knows how to handle "big conference" talent. It can be tricky to keep these kid's heads in the right place.

These players need internal competition and pressure to perform. I wish after we got torched for 80 yards off of Iso, Coach Gill would say "Son, it isn't good enough."

Kevin Studer 10 years, 4 months ago

This game is going to be ugly. No two ways about it.

ShockHawk10 10 years, 4 months ago

Pressure on the QB is the best pass defense. The lack of sacks, knockdowns, and hurries are a major contributor to the huge numbers we have given up each week thus far. Getting Patrick Dorsey back will help, but someone else on our D-Line needs to step up. Come on Hawks (Shealy)! Give me a reason to BELIEVE!

number1jayhawker 10 years, 4 months ago

They raved about Lewandowski all spring and summer. He needs to be one of the DL to step up and earn that praise.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 4 months ago

<p>Kusports.com poll question

1) ahperse's "repetitive, mindless, negative drivel"

2) watching your favorite football team getting beatdown under the direction of an under qualified, over paid, bible thumping, no sideline emotion showing, no cussing, horriable recruiting, word of the week saying coach

3) run on sentences.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

Par for the course, a "question" that isn't.

Angus0199 10 years, 4 months ago

I hear you. Our comeback game, that was awsome, was N. Ill. K-State's today was Miami. Admit it was an amazing game. What the hell...Would be nice to have some instant classic games. If we had a football team we wouldn't be going through all this crap the last month. It's like paying all that $ for 2 wins a freaking season. Bring in a high school coach and we could still get a couple of wins a season.

newjayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I am convinced that Texas Tech is aware of our stats as well. So who do think has the advantage? Upset alert......KU 22 TTU 19

jaymar74 10 years, 4 months ago

We may win, but we will not in any man's universe have a chance to hold TT to 19 points.

newjayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Just wishful thinking....hopefully we'll have the same intensity as we did against our first two opponents. RCJ

Pitthawk34 10 years, 4 months ago

Yes we can as long as our cheerleaders and yell leaders are allowed to make tackles as well.

willie_fu_fu 10 years, 4 months ago

I picked up Seth Doege for my fantasy team this week. On a related note I picked up as many San Deigo players for my pro team as possible. I hate that football sucks around here. :(

actorman 10 years, 4 months ago

jaymar, you clearly misunderstood. He was obviously referring to the score at the end of the first quarter.

texashawk10 10 years, 4 months ago

Any takers on both teams breaking 50 and combining for over 1000 yards of offense next week. Nevada ran for over 300 yards on Tech's defense and passed for another 250 on them. Tech's defense is was exposed today and KU should be able to exploit some of those weaknesses in the Tech defense. Problem for KU though is can a stop against Tech, hell I don't care if it's actually the defense making the stops or Doege throwing 3 straight incompletes. KU has forced 4 punts this year and has 1 takeaway and is giving up about 25 first downs per game (don't remember the exact number, I just know it's in the 70's) so forget the yardage that's all you need to know about KU's defense this year.

squawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

No way, Tech will score 50 but KU will not score 30 points. KU's offense looked good against lesser D talent but Tech is much better than any of those teams. Ku's offense will be exposed for what it really is...work in progress.

Angus0199 10 years, 4 months ago

Would love to bury TTU. We can't stop anyone, but they really can't either and they damned near lost. We got a week to prepare. You're right about not getting 30 on them though.

Star reports Mangino was on KSU sideline at Miami game. Need to beat TTU and UT for pulling crap Need to Bury A&M for being punks and leaving. Would be an awsome season if just that happened. Nothing more needed for Christmas or Bday.

squawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Mangino looked svelt as ever on the KSU sideline Saturday. I wonder if he was just supporting Snyder or trying to get a job?

troutsee 10 years, 4 months ago

I am an optimist and i hate aphers negative posts. But from what i have seen so far, our defense will have very few stops this year. TT is certainlt beatable but not unless there is a hell of an improvement in our defense. So far the togetherness that i saw in KSU yesterday is lacking in our defense. Our D is lacks toughness

squawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I fully agree. The D unit needs to come together. I think the talent is there but just too many new faces and not enough time to bond as a unit. KSU looked tough on D and it kept them in the game until the end and won it for them.

yates33333 10 years, 4 months ago

Too bad KU football isn't like golf and we could have a 50 point handicap.