Thursday, September 22, 2011

Injured WR Daymond Patterson to take red shirt

So far, Kansas University wide receiver Daymond Patterson’s senior year has not gone according to plan.

Good thing he’ll get another.

Wednesday night, after the team’s second practice of the bye week, KU coach Turner Gill announced that Patterson would take a red shirt this season because of a groin injury he suffered in the season-opening victory against McNeese State.

“We thought it was going to be a little bit better this week, but it looks like it’s going to linger a little bit,” Gill said. “Because he’ll probably miss four or five games, I think it’s just smarter for our football team, and also for him, to make sure he has a solid senior year.”

Because he played in just one half this season, Patterson’s application for a medical red shirt should be a slam dunk. Gill likes the idea of having Patterson back a second time in 2012.

“It’s nothing but good,” Gill said. “He’s a guy with a lot of experience. He’s played a lot of football, and he’s going to help, even this year, as far as being able to teach some of the younger guys. Obviously, we’re going to miss him, but it’s another opportunity for somebody else, and it’s going to make us stronger next season.”

After leading the KU wide receivers in receptions, yards and touchdowns in 2010, Patterson got off to a fast start this year, scoring the team’s first receiving touchdown of the season. Not long after, he injured his groin after being tackled awkwardly and has not been able to return to 100 percent since.

Offensive coordinator Chuck Long said losing Patterson’s veteran presence would be missed. But he said he was confident the senior from Mesquite, Texas, would find a way to impact the team.

“In talking to (wide receivers) coach (David) Beaty, I asked him, ‘How’s he been in the (meeting) room?’ because it’s tough not playing,” Long said. “And he said he’s been really good in the room. And that’s the first silver lining you get out of it.”

T-shirts don’t irk Jayhawks

Early this week, the Georgia Tech athletic department printed T-shirts to commemorate the Yellow Jackets’ record-setting performance in their 66-24 victory against Kansas last week.

Asked Wednesday if they had any reaction to the shirts, the Jayhawks seemed fine with Tech celebrating their school and national records.

“I heard about it,” red-shirt freshman safety Keeston Terry said. “I saw a little link to it. But when you accomplish something like that, you gotta boast about it and be proud about what you did. It’s just unfortunate that we were on the opposite side of a record they set.”

Added red-shirt freshman cornerback Dexter McDonald: “I haven’t seen the shirts, but I overhead something about them. After you lose, anything can be motivation. You’re gonna take it to heart if you care.”

Although he didn’t know if the shirts would serve as extra motivation, Long said he learned a lesson about stuff like that a long time ago.

“This football world is a small world,” Long said. “I had an old mentor tell me one time, ‘You’re gonna run into these people again.’ And, in my coaching career, I have. But those are things that you remember. I’m not for that, but those are things that happen.”

Dorsey to return?

With injuries knocking out quite a few players already this season, the Jayhawks may be turning the corner in that department with regard to senior defensive lineman Patrick Dorsey.

“He has a chance to be available,” Gill said of the lineman who missed the first three games because of an injured foot. “We’ll see how he practices here in the next few days.”

Grimes to be enshrined

In addition to reviewing game film and working to get better, KU offensive line coach J.B. Grimes will spend the bye week being honored by his alma mater.

Saturday, Grimes will return to Arkadelphia, Ark., to be inducted into the Henderson State University Hall of Honor.

“I’m really looking forward to going back,” he said this summer. “It’s such an honor.”

Grimes played guard on the HSU offensive line from 1973-76.

He was a three-time conference champion and earned all-conference honors during the 1976 season. While Grimes was in uniform, the Reddies won 40 games and played for an NAIA national championship, feats for which Grimes takes very little credit.

Comments

roosey 3 years, 3 months ago

“I haven’t seen the shirts, but I overhead something about them." - Second copy error I've seen tonight. You guys hiring copy editors? :-)

Kirk 3 years, 3 months ago

What's the error? The use of "overheard"?

But it's a quote, right? Enlighten me...thanks

Kirk 3 years, 3 months ago

Spelled overhead? What do you mean? Like on a high chalkboard?

Just kidding. I didn't even notice: Thanks

FSUJHAWK 3 years, 3 months ago

DP redshirting could be a blessing for next year. Keep your head up DP.

As for GTech and the shirts, "classless." That's something I'd expect from mizzery. Hopefully the team will be able to use this as some sort of positive.

RCJHGKU!!!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

FSUJHAWK,

I feel that there's not a more avid KU fan anywhere than myself, but I don't think the GT shirts are any more classless than "Muck Fizzou".

I have those sentiments, but don't feel like the shirts are all that appropriate.

squawkhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Sour grapes! KU fans would do the same thing if they were on the other side of such a lopsided win and set several school and national records.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

squawkhawk, I know you're a k-state fan, but do you even KNOW how to read?

I said the GT shirts weren't any more classless than our muck fizzou shirts.

How do you get sour grapes from that my fine purple friend?

Please share your extensive Flint Hills Philosophy with us.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Lol. No response from sqwak hawk the kstate hater.

squawkhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

My response was to FSU's comments. In my haste I erroneously posted under your reply. Calm down boys!

ExerSciHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I literally had to read squak's comment twice to make sure of what he was talking about, he must not have even read your post Nuleaf

squawkhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

See comment above. An obvious posting error on my part. Don't get your panties in a wad next time.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

True, nuleaf, but those shirts weren't printed by the KU athletic department. If KU were to ever do that they should have made shirts commemorating the KU beatdown of Nebraska a few years ago...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

LOL - good point about the Nebraska game.

I didn't know who printed the shirts and if GT's athletic dept did authorize theirs, then I agree it's pretty classless and I'm not going to buy one now!

Although, I am low on grease rags out in the garage........

squawkhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Seems like Gill has already given up on this year.

justanotherfan 3 years, 3 months ago

If it's true that DP won't be ready for another few weeks, he will have missed 4, maybe 5 games by then. That's basically half the season. Throw in another week to get back to game speed, and DP would basically have about half of a senior season. That's not the type of finish anyone wants to have, and it doesn't do KU any good if he's not 100%.

If they knew he'd be available after the bye, I think the decision would be different, but without that knowledge, I think you have to trust this decision is best.

Besides, DP doesn't play defense to my knowledge, and that's where our issues are at right now.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

Far from given up, since 1 player, especially a WR, doesn't make a team. A little different if it were a QB, but not so much other positions. Redshirting is just too big a part of FB, tho usually for freshmen.

It sort of sounds like Terry's problem last year, so calling it earlier rather than later could also be seen as proactive and challenging to those behind DP.

It also reminds me of Little RS his first Sr yr, and part of the motivation there was giving him the time to finish his degree. I would imagine Gill has some personal feelings toward that, since he finished his degre at NTSU after finishing his scholie at NU w/o a degree.

The comment does sound like your normal squaking.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

2 players spending the off season goofing off and making silly videos... 2 players hurt...you tell me...

And maybe Grimes should be putting time in at work instead of 3 day trips during the bye week. Granted the Henderson State Hall of Fame is special;) especially with the (almost) 40 year waiting period, but we need coaches with their players and in the film room getting better.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

DP is 1 of 2. AJ hasn't been hurt. Tell you what, that you're making the same ignorant comments/insinuations that have no basis in fact?

The Grimes comment is in the same ballpark. Because part of their lives is shared in the media, you extrapolate to ignorance. The NCAA limits the amount of time the coaches can spend with players, so Grimes is taking a little of the time that he can't spend with players and is spending it a few hours away at his alma mater. It's nice that they planned ahead for KU's bye week to honor his efforts. Sounds a bit like what KU has done in recent years with bringing Riggins and others back.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

AJ left his eyeball on the camera!

And if you "believe" teams follow the practice time rules!!! And I don't think the NCAA limits the amount of time coaches can spend in their office watching film and brainstorming.

Alex Berger 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't be ridiculous, football players have free time too.

notigers4me 3 years, 3 months ago

What has Gill done that indicates that he has given up on this year? He is only doing what's best for his players? I appreciate that about Coach Gill he truly has his players best interest at heart.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

At first, the T-shirt reminded me of the KSU BB video from a couple years ago, but just now remembered - "We Shucked the World". Someone probably has a link. It does suck to be on the other end of a national record (or 3), tho the t-shirt concept seems more reasonable after decades of futility and not just one upset. My guees is that Long's lesson has also been mentioned to our players in a meeting, since GT didn't take kindly to comparisons with HS O's.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 3 months ago

Does DP redshirting, take a Scholarship away from next year?

Just curious how this affects recruiting. I think we only had like 13 available, does that reduce it to 12 now?

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

i don't know how you can quantify it. we don't have Dreamius Smith and Phil Ford this year either...because they didn't qualify....are those two in your 13 number? What about DeShaund Sands? it seems like there's a couple of others as well.....so the number isn't set.

chalky 3 years, 3 months ago

I like Long's attitude. No suprise the offence seems to play with a chip on their shoulder.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 3 months ago

That might be okay, and then put Patterson in the Defensive backfield next year.

We have Jackson and Sheperd.

Patterson at CB? Well, He has a year to learn how to play it. Gill, are you listening? It's either that or you recruit heavy on Defense for a couple of years.

BB is red shirting meaning he'll have two years of eligibility after Webb graduates. Our offensive backfield is loaded and will be around for 3 or 4 years.

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE.

You might also want to tell them to stay on their feet and tackle through the guy with the ball instead of grabbing at their feet. Get them in the right position, and lets get rid of this "word of the week stuff". Make it a phrase of every week, "CHIP ON THE SHOULDER".

If this Defense doesn't get fixed, it doesn't matter how good the offense is.