Thursday, September 22, 2011

Good news: It’s KU: Standout recruit Perry Ellis chooses Jayhawks

Basketball recruit Perry Ellis signed a national letter of intent with Kansas on Wednesday.

— Soft-spoken Wichita Heights senior basketball sensation/4.0 student Perry Ellis sat at a table in the Falcons’ gymnasium Wednesday afternoon, his mother, Fonda, positioned to his left, and dad, Will, to his right.

The classy 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward, who serves his community as a volunteer youth basketball instructor and gives time to the Wichita Children’s Home, needed no props — such as hats of finalists Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State and Kentucky — to help him announce his college choice.

Ellis, at 2:45 p.m. sharp, simply acknowledged some important individuals in his life, then told about 30 media members in a voice barely above a whisper he’d orally committed to play hoops at Kansas University.

“I’d like to thank all the schools that recruited me over the past years, especially the last four schools. I really appreciate them,” Ellis said in an opening statement. “At this time I’d like to decide what school I will go to. It’s the University of Kansas. I knew for so long.

“I’ve been there so many times. I felt so comfortable there,” added Rivals.com’s No. 24-rated player, who phoned coaches of his four finalists just before he met the press.

“It (comfort level) made me realize that was the school. This has been in my mind awhile now. It wasn’t just a pop-up type thing. I wanted to do it today because I was ready.”

Ellis said KU coach Bill Self “was real excited for me and happy,” upon receiving the oral commitment. Equally happy was KU big-man coach Danny Manning.

“We’re real close. We talk not just about basketball but everything,” Ellis said of the former KU All-American. “You see what he does with his players. For example, the (Morris) twins, how they came in and how they improved. It’s going to be great. He’s only going to make me better.”

The three-time Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year likes other things about KU, including ...

• The tradition: “Before the games, they play the little video how the game was created there, by James Naismith,” said Ellis, who will attend Saturday’s Legend of the Phog KU alumni game in KU’s tradition-rich Allen Fieldhouse. “I look at all that stuff. It’s one of the top programs. I’m going to try to be a part of it.”

• The proximity to home: “I mean, it’s far enough to feel away. It’s close enough I can come back anytime,” said Ellis, whose younger brothers, Brae and Cameron, attended the news conference. Ellis also made a point to thank his sister, Savannah, who played basketball at Memphis, graduating last May.

“I could have stayed here (to play at WSU). I love being around my family. I just felt comfortable at KU. It was the right location and right fit for me.”

• The attention: “He (Self) was the first to come to my games my freshman year. That really impressed me and humbled me,” Ellis said. “He’s a real good person and I’m excited to play for him.”

In Ellis, KU lands Heights’ leading rebounder of all-time and No. 2 scorer. He’s coming off a season in which he averaged 22.1 points and 7.9 rebounds a game for the undefeated state champs.

“What we’ve heard from the coaches that recruited him is he is a match-up nightmare,” said Wichita Heights coach Joe Auer. “He can guard the perimeter. He can go both inside and out. Coaches didn’t really talk a lot about what position he’d play, that’d it be a combination.”

Ellis’ AAU coach, Steve Young of Wichita Pray and Play Players, cited Ellis’ strong shooting ability as a strength. He hit 74.9 percent from the field last year, 33.3 percent from three.

“He strives for perfection in everything, schoolwork and basketball,” Young said. “I think you see that in the high percentage he shoots, his desire for perfection.”

He’s been called perhaps the best player in Wichita high school history. The city has produced others, including Darnell Valentine, Antoine Carr and Greg Dreiling.

“To win three straight state championships and add to the fact he’s continually getting stronger and better, you could make a case for that. He’s definitely one of the best to come through,” Young said.

Ellis said he’s looking forward to going for state title No. 4 this season.

“I don’t have to worry about it,” he said of recruiting. “I get to play and have fun my senior year. I’m happy to have it over with. I’m excited about my choice, but I’ll miss it. It only happens one time.”

Fonda Ellis said she was thrilled for her son.

“I was nervous about today. I was excited, anxious and relieved,” she said. “I support Perry and want Perry to be happy. We tried our best to shield and protect him from too much media, so I dealt with a lot of media. Coach Auer did too and coach Steve Young helped a lot in the process. If he is happy,” she added of Perry, “I’m happy.”

She’s a big fan of KU’s coaches.

“They have been great. We mainly were in contact with coach Self and Manning, but I guess this summer, coach (Joe) Dooley and coach (Kurtis) Townsend all followed Perry around. We’ve known them three or four years and built a great relationship with them,” Fonda said.

KU, which has received commitments from Ellis and Plano, Texas, power forward Zach Peters, has two scholarships left to give in the Class of 2012, three if Thomas Robinson elects to turn pro after his junior season.

Cool, calm, collected: Heights coach Auer, who repeated Ellis’ choice of KU to the folks in the audience in case they didn’t hear the soft-spoken player, said he’s been amazed at the way Perry has handled attention the past several years.

“His first game ... he could hardly breathe he was so nervous,” Auer said of a game played in front of 8,000 fans at Koch Arena in Wichita. “I said, ‘Just go out and try to get 10 rebounds and don’t worry about anything else.’ I think he went out and got 11.”

More recruiting: Self held an in-home recruiting visit Wednesday with the country’s No. 1 prospect — 6-6 Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas. Muhammad has not yet set up his official visit to KU.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, This is GREAT! A Jayhawk born and bred!

Welcome to the Family of Jayhawk Nation, Mr. Ellis.

I'm SO glad that you made this decision, and I hope that all of your greatest dreams come true as you find your way around Allen Field House, Mt. Oread and beyond. I can hardly wait to see you suited up and rockin' the house!

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS!! K - U !!!

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Ellis is first class all the way! A great recruit for KU... Btw KU did start out as Kansas University here's the link... http://casuallawschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/first-of-many-things-ku-v-uk.html

dahzie 3 years, 2 months ago

That third paragraph makes me sick. Kansas University?

kujayhawkster 3 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. I hate when people say Kansas University...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

No joke.

If they can't call it " The University of Kansas ", they should at least refer to it as

The Home of College Basketball or The Temple of Hoopdom

Something like that !

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

How about Harvard of the West, academically, and UCLA of the Sixties in basketball?

this is going to be a good day. i can tell.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, yates, a friend of mine who graduated from Harvard said that they refer to it as the KU of the east.

I'm pretty sure UCLA says " we USED to be good, but now we strive to be the KU of the west".

It IS a good day brother!

Hail_To_Thee 3 years, 2 months ago

Never have seen the big issue really.

University of Kansas....

Kansas University....

Its ok to say KU (Kansas University) but not ok to say Kansas University (KU)????

Guess we need to start refering to it as the UofK since UK is already spoken for. (Did I mention that I hate anything that has a wildcat in it.)

Benjamin Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

westernkshawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I never could figure out why we are the Univ. of Kansas but also KU. We want to be the U of KS but we SURE don't want to be UK (which would actually make sense!!) I'm sure the "KU" is the reason so many also say Kansas University.

lothario64118 3 years, 2 months ago

That Gary Bedore and the LJW for you. Only publication that I know of that states it that way. Hate it.

I never see Texas University, or Missouri University. WTF Gary?

Benjamin Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not up to Gary. It's the paper's policy, and has been for 40+ years. If Gary wrote "the University of Kansas," the copy editors would just change it. See my above reply. Dolph likes to thumb his nose at what he sees as the muckety-mucks on the Hill. This is his petty way of doing it.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 2 months ago

Who cares. A rose is a rose by any other name.

danno1313 3 years, 2 months ago

Thus the, K U on the helmets.........

bville_hawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm just glad he didn't say Kansas State University!

Matt Bowers 3 years, 2 months ago

You and about 1k other fans. Now that we have established a pet peeve for so many of you, lets focus on the fact that we just landed a stand up individual with roots in our great state. Welcome Perry and enjoy the Legends of the Phog game, one day you'll be playing in it. Looking forward to seeing you on the court.

Rock Chalk

Michael Auchard 3 years, 2 months ago

It's the LJW's official style. It's not an accident. Not sure how it originated.

Tuskin 3 years, 2 months ago

It's cheaper. Think of all the ink they've saved over the years, not having to print "the" and "of". Think of all the typing time they've saved - at least a second per usage. If the university is mentioned by name 20 times per day, 365 days per year, that amounts to about 2 hours per year. If it's been consistent for 40 years, someone could now take a 2-week paid vacation as a result of this measure!

Pack your things, Gary, the paper's sending you to Hawaii!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Sick?

Really??

Annoyed, irritated, frustrated, sure. Angered, maybe.

But sick?

Did your laptop jump around while you read it giving you a seizure? Did you catch that crazy strain of e-salmonella? Did you eat the newspaper and have difficulty digesting it? Did reading that force you to go out and have a little too much "fun" with Paris Hilton and Linsay Lohan... and now you are experiencing some... um... "discomfort" in the bathroom?

I'm guessing you were probably just annoyed.

Or the Lohan thing. One or the other.

stuck88 3 years, 2 months ago

What I like was that he phoned the four coaches before making his decision public. Shows that he has a good head on his shoulders and is a fine, respectable young man.

kujayhawkster 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not 'Kansas University'. It's 'The University of Kansas', get it right!

kubball15 3 years, 2 months ago

Who cares what they call it, they said Kansas University, why do you think we are called KU...??

Matt Bowers 3 years, 2 months ago

That has already been established.

Rock Chalk

Matt Bowers 3 years, 2 months ago

Blog for hawkster not bballer. Couldn't agree more bballer.

Rock Chalk

AZHawk72 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey, for the three years before I spent five more-than-memorable years there, I never called the school anything but K.U. Come to think of it, that's all I called my school while I was there. If you say "The University of Kansas" outside of Kansas, you'll get "Oh, U.K." No, that's Kentucky or the United Kingdom, neither of which I plan on attending anytime soon. Surprisingly, in my thirty-five years since leaving the state, I'm pleased to report that nearly all call it either just "Kansas" or "K.U." I've grown to appreciate these never-been-theres as attempting to express respect and appreciation.

Welcome, Perry--you'll love the school and earn the right to call it "home."

danno1313 3 years, 2 months ago

Why isn t it U K then? Kansas U is technically right. Not that it matters.

RCJHKU

hawk316 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm rather amazed that most of the comments have been about what we call KU instead of the BIG news that Perry Ellis is going to be a Jayhawk! What's wrong with this picture?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you hawk316.

Maybe we should call it OMGgetalifepeople University.

No, wait, then people would shorten it to OU and confuse us with ...........Oklahoma University?

Dan Harris 3 years, 2 months ago

funny! Move on people there's nothing to see here

honk_for_hawks 3 years, 2 months ago

Having spent my HS years and trips back home from college playing pickup ball at the North YMCA in Wichita, I can tell you firsthand that KU could not have gotten a better individual, both on the court and off. He never talked trash, he always hustled, he was never "too good" or above playing with anyone. He's one of the nicest kids I've ever met and I'm glad that I know firsthand how lucky KU is to have landed him. Even though he is an immensely talented player, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him stay all four years and soak everything in because that's just the type of kid he is. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

hawk316 3 years, 2 months ago

Honk, thanks for sharing these insights. Sounds like we have landed a great kid!

captku 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm thinking that Coach D-Man is the key here. Just trying to read between the lines on what Ellis says, sounds like #25 is landing a guy with lots of similarities to him, and he related well. With HCBS getting in early getting the deal started on the right foot, there is probably a recruiting lesson in there somewhere. All it takes is time. Okay, so can you say "academic all-American"? Rock chalk coaching staff and recruiters!

(hey 316, I never did even mention the acronym! :)

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Wrote this on one of the other posts: ESPN.com has a nice write up on Ellis on their NCAA basketball recruiting page. Headed with a nice picture of HCBS, it leads to a number of short write-ups on Perry, both on the court and recruiting.

Again, thanks, Perry, for deciding on KU (The University of Kansas to those name freaks out there). We wish you the best in your attempt to win a fourth state high school championship, and perhaps a couple of NCAA championships as well.

Aloha (which means hello, love, etc.) from the islands. Hope to see you play in person some day here in one of the island's basketball tournaments.

bjdku 3 years, 2 months ago

Nice find on the style guide! LJ World, pay attention!

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

You've forgotten. It's The University of Kansas. Rock Chalk.

kureader 3 years, 2 months ago

Now that I know you're aware of KU's "Style Guide", manginorh00lz, I retract every "less than positive" thing I've thought about your posts. You're obviously refined, dintinguished, and deserving of more respect. Impressive find.

JJHAWK 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self now has an excellent recruiting class core for next year: 2 great Kansas kids and one Texas player who has always wanted to be a Jayhawk. Right on! And there is a very reasonable chance that they will all be at dear old KU for more than one year.

One or two additional big gets and this could truly be a championship class.

Rock Chalk JayHawk!

James Kiernan 3 years, 2 months ago

Perry and Zach are the only two commits for 2012. I think you're thinking of Conner F, he is in the next year's class. Would be nice to get him here sooner though...

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 2 months ago

While you all fight about how we should refer to our fine institution I am more concerned with hearing from those who follow recruiting closely to find out who Ellis, by simply making that announcement might help Self and the boys hook? Will this incredible event this weekend cause guys to announce on the spot? Could you imagine...as a recruit having Pierce and company pulling you aside and asking you to really consider being a jayhawk?

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

Whiskey,Tango, Firefox!!! All this political correctness is a supreme waste of air time.

Mel Clare 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe this is the cog in the wheel that will land Shabazz and keep T rob around for his senior year? Congrats to Ellis on coming to Jayhawk nation!

lothario64118 3 years, 2 months ago

T-Rob is gone after this year. He's got a sister waiting out there for him. I surmise her father isn't the best guy out there. Dunno.

Don't get injured this year TR. This is your time now!

FSUJHAWK 3 years, 2 months ago

Seems like a great kid on and off the court. Welcome Sir Perry!

RCJHGKU!!!

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

Great news. Now if Self can land Kaleb Tarczewski and if the players recruited this year stay. Look out BB, here comes KU again, again, and again.

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

PS. Even Aspercoaching or some name like that can't be complaining.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I think you underestimate him, my friend.....

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like a classy, bright young man who really does want an education plus willing to pay his dues to be a better athlete. We sure needed some good news. All this realignment crap is getting old and I'm already there without any help. Will likely get good minutes & exp right out of the chute. Hope the Calimari UK trolls come back & make bigger idiots of themselves again today. Their postings are a hilarious affirmation that they have absolutely no other entertainment in their lives whatsoever. Some of our board rats go well above & beyond to make us marvel at their wit. De'tent? Junior college? My, My, can't we all just get along? PE should be Rocking at the Phog for years to come, so we say welcome young man, welcome!

d_park 3 years, 2 months ago

He'll back out. He's going to the league.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

...the record is stuck..someone hit the table...

Michael Luby 3 years, 2 months ago

Not saying this was a factor at all but when Braeden said he wasnt elligible, I absolutely knew Perry would come here, to KU. I didnt say anything cuz I didnt wanna jinx it but I knew he would come here! We are gonna be tough tough tough to beat next season. We will do good this season for sure, but next season is a final four type season IMHO.

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

WOW! Two topnotch Wichita high schoolers now have committed to KU. Can't think of anything much better for the program than to bring in talented in-state recruits, esp. kids who have earned the reputation of SCHOLAR athletes. Our future looks bright, perhaps even as a winning Big 12 institution for the next few seasons, if realignment mayhem has taken a turn for the better. Congratulations to Perry, his family, and our coaching/training staff. A very bright moment for Jayhawk hoops.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

Under the rocks, but all addicted to masochism & they can't resist getting the hammer. As sales people call them, bbackers. LOL

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

If you want dummies to laugh at, look a the comment histories of some of our own baord rats...we've got no shortage of ego freaks & wannabees here either. I've said it man, many times "some people have something to say & some people have to say something".

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 2 months ago

Drove through Wichita the other day and listened to their local sports talk show on 98.7 and they were saying the same thing. I guess KSU has a home-and-home with WSU with this year's game in Wichita. I'm not sure KU needs to go to Wichita, but I would love to see the Shockers come to the Phog.

ku_foaf 3 years, 2 months ago

Come on it, Caleb T.!

A front line of him, Ellis, and Zach Peters would be pretty impressive.

Robert Brock 3 years, 2 months ago

Better check the spelling of Tarczewski's first name.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 2 months ago

Great news!!

Now if KU could sign Ralph Lauren & Hugo Boss they would be set.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All in good fun, no malice intended)

Welcome to KU, Perry.

COJayhawker 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Bro....coffee out the nose and onto the keyboard.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 2 months ago

Re comments in 9/19 article-Prep star Perry Ellis to announce college choice on Wednesday: Anyone heard from UKALLDAY and all of that KY stuff? Also, TXBBall55 is eating some crow right now. Never lose faith! Kaleb, we want you to become part of the elite KU class of 2012! Rock Chalk!!!

Steve Gantz 3 years, 2 months ago

No we haven't heard, but I'd bet there's someone on Kentucky's message boards who's a Jayhawk fan talking smack and annoying those folks over there.

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 2 months ago

The late 70's Wichita Heights basketball team was considered by many to be the best in the history of Kansas producing Valentine, Carr, and Olian Alexander. All three went on to professional sports careers (obvisouly). Alexander was considered the best all around athelete out of the bunch, being drafted by the San Diego Padres. He recieved a full ride to play baseball at KSU but he actually ended up being a pretty good professional boxer. There is a book out about that team called Acrophobia 1977 by Mark Nale about these three that is a really good read if anyone is interested. For Ellis to be considered the best basketball player to come out of Wichita, KS is high praise.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

My sister was a cheerleader at wsu when antione carr , cliff livington and xavier Mcdaniels played for the shockers. He was a great guy and it was hard to yell against them when we played them in the midwest regional final.. But i was born a jhawk...and we won

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 2 months ago

Check out the book if you get a chance, it is a good read.

Al Martin 3 years, 2 months ago

I specifically remember playing in the band in New Orleans when Cliff and Antoine (and some little dude shooting out of his mind from outside) beat us in the regional semis by one point. This would have been 1982 or so.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I believe it was 1981. Didn't look at Wikipedia, so it's not official !!

I lived in Houston at the time and my brother in law and I made the trip to New Orleans. I loved Darnell Valentine, but I swear he must have missed 10 easy layups that game. Made me want to puke. Wait, I DID puke after the game and lots of beer.

Hmmm. I may have gotten into a little scuffle with some WSU fans that night too.

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the lead! Caught me right as I was looking for a new read!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

We sign one of the best recruits and kids in the past 10 years and a bunch of you are arguing about the use of Kansas University or University of Kansas??!!!

Who gives a crap!!

As long as they don't call us "that dirtbag campus in the middle of a swamp"...oh wait, that's Missouri :)

Notice in the article about Fonda and Coach Self......best recruiting strategy of all -, capture the mom and the kid will follow!!!!

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

You definitely made a valid point when you made that post, though I admit I didn't see it. Success breeds success, and we certainly had a coup keeping the twins as long as we did. I assumed it might at least take the Legends Game to seal the deal with Perry Ellis. I'm glad this kid seems to be all stuff and no fluff.

Hail_To_Thee 3 years, 2 months ago

Now we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes the NCAA to approve of him.

They must be on recess 360/365 days a year.

Joe Baker 3 years, 2 months ago

I see your point but if it drags out, we'll definitely know the NCAA are a bunch of morons. There is no reason Ellis won't be cleared fairly quickly. I don't know of any problems and expect Ellis to clear without incident. The kid has a 4.0 and expect him to do well on his entrance exams. He also attended one school during high school. He better be cleared quickly without incident.

Sam Constance 3 years, 2 months ago

KOA = Kansas of America

Nice ring to it...

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

I would like it if the LJW just referred to us as:

"The Father of All Basketball Programs."

And mother, if you want to include Mrs. Jimmie.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure there are other reasons .. I don't understand why. But who cares, we're better than everyone else.

Alex Berger 3 years, 2 months ago

Now let's get Shabazz and Kaleb? Wishlist:

1) Kaleb Tarczewski (need him) 2) Shabazz (I'm betting he's a Duke or UNC guy, but I can dream) 3) Jarnell Strokes (Looks unlikely but he is good) 4) Nino Jackson (Loves KU way too much)

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

I sure am glad Jarnell's mom didn't name him Dick.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

How about "The Kansas University of Kansas", you know, kind of like "The Ohio State" therefore we can look presumptuous and ridiculous all at the same time!!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

Glad to see you're gettin' the tires hot for the "doohzies" that are just jumping off the truck & on the bus today. The rest of them will come-bank on the envy persuading them. Let em' "eat the rubber"! That's what Griswald would do.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

HUH?? I'm old....can you put that thought a little plainer, please. It looks good, though.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

Please, by all means gentlemen, let me expound. Near the top of this comment page there is a poster name "dahzie" whom, fighting illness in the wee hrs, just signed on to this site for the first time today, and is most obviously a jerk or troll, or heaven forbid, an Osceola misserian. As for jumping off the truck, I reference vegetables, turnips, watermelons, maybe even refuse. As for the bus, please run over the trolls freely-they really do like it. When they keep coming back & back & back...I rest my case. One rat in the past day or so made the comparison of UK to a juco...sure as heck made me laugh. And ole' Gris said "eat my rubber" as he passed the redneck pickup with the perfect Xmas tree. Certainly hope this has everyone's savvy up to speed. JMBS. No malice intended.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

dahzie suffers from wearing his ass for a chapeau. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

The Ohio State University NCAA Infractions Factory.

Football first.

Who thinks Mad Thatta the Thad Hatta isn't sweating?

If its in the Ohio River watershed, you know its corrupt.

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes yes yes yes yes. There exist no immediate downsides to Perry Ellis. Some may say "We should have gotten him" but I love that he kept it open. I especially loved the no-fluff, no-hubris approach to the conference. I am ecstatic we have a player who takes the "Get in there and take care of business" approach. Now - I hope when he comes to KU, he stays for a little while! We've absolutely got a future floor general on our hands!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Self just came up Jupiter huge.

Self has balls of titanium in a kevlar cup.

Self now has two pieces of an awesome class, when he has had to recruit under dark clouds.

Self is a genius.

Self is a genius.

Self is a genius.

No other coach in America could keep raking in top talent under these sorts of conditions.

Caught completely blindsided by the Twins and Selby jumping, he still lands BenMac, who is gold.

Caught completely blindsided by the Twins and Selby jumping, he still finds Nadiir and Jamari and would have had Braeden if some academic review board hadn't decided to stick it to KU.

My god, once the chop from Scalpinggate, Lewgate, and Conferencegate I and Conferencegate II finally smoothes, Self is going to land any 4 or 5-star he wants and as many of them as he wants.

This is just fabulous news for The Legacy and for the future.

Perry Ellis really was a tough get under these circumstances and Self got him.

You've heard of go-get-a-basket players?

Well, Self is a go-get-a-player coach!

Like a great scorer, who never loses his confidence that he will break out of his slump, Self just keeps recruiting till his targets start saying yes again.

Anyone who isn't thrilled by Zach and Perry, has the basketball IQ of Queen Elizabeth on mescaline.

Anyone who doesn't see that Self going to see Shabazz was the ultimate act of swagger, doesn't get swagger. I thought it was a bad sign for Self getting Perry.

But it was swagger!

It was on to next!

Self must have walked into Shabazz' nursery with a big slapping sound between his legs. He must have said, "Shabazz, Zach and Perry guaranty you will never be doubled, never be roughed up, never anything but wide open. Come to Kansas son. Win a ring. Win 84% of your games. Heck, Shabazz, let's win a 100%! I'm tired of winning 84% of games. I've been there. I've done that. I want to get better. Do you want to get better? Of course you do. Adding you, Kaleb, and Julius to Elijah, and Ben Mac and some good glue players, and, heck, a perfect season is entirely possible. Here's Paul Pierces cell phone number Bazz. Dial him and ask him about coming to Kansas. He's won the L. He's got FU money. He doesn't have to say anything that isn't true. Ask him if you should come to Kansas."

Rock Chalk! Rock Chalk! Rock Chalk! Coach Self.

Michael Luby 3 years, 2 months ago

LMAO! Eff a freekin mallard! +1 nothing. +100000!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Thx. I felt it today. Each key looked the size of a township and range. My fingers were extensions of my neural nets. My neural nets were burning.

I had to put something back into the well, after I learned my beloved REM were calling it a day.

"Its the end of the world as we know it, And I feel fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Nothing is written. Nothing.

An old man who grew up loving Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys, Marvin Gay and Hank Williams in high school, then Bruce in college, then during his crucifixion years the Jim Carroll Band and REM, as his own, and then find Lady Ga Ga and Beyonce in the shadow of the grim reaper.

"Nothing is written. Nothing." -T.E. Lawrence

"'awrence! 'awrence!! I am coming!"

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

I knew you could (and would) do it JB...UDAMAN!!!

Ian Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

I appreciate the enthusiasm. However, with regard to Julius (I assume you are referring to Julius Randle), he is a class of 2013 recruit. So although Bill might be able to reel him in, and I hope he can, he will not be added to the likes of Elijah, for he will have graduated and hopefully be on his way to the League before Randle ever steps on campus as an official Jayhawk. Ben Mac could be gone as well if he is as good as TRob thinks he is (TRob believes BMac will jump early for the league.)

That aside, I still appreciate the enthusiasm. It's difficult to contain such excitement after Perry's decision.

And oh yeah, welcome to Kansas, Perry. Rock Chalk!

ibrown3 my man,

You are solid as usual and I stand corrected.

We will just have to settle for Zach, Perry, Kaleb, and Shabazz this year. :-)

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

If HCBS gets Shabazz it will be a huge suprazz.

Bill needs to add to Danny with Kansas NBA champs or NCAA champ coaches: Manning - Power Forwards/Centers Pierce -Small Forwards Jo Jo White - Point Guards Chalmers - Shooting Guards

Gil Ek 3 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Baby!!! THE BEST IS YET TO COME. On the verge of Self's "Prime Time" the next 5 years.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 2 months ago

Just wanted to welcome Perry Ellis to Kansas! Oh and I'm the 100th post! I can't ever be #1 so 100 will have to do!

Sam Constance 3 years, 2 months ago

ESPN's recruiting coverage is such horsesh**.

Not only do they have Perry ranked as the #37 prospect in the 2012 class (compared to #24 on Rivals and , but it's hard not to think that they are intentionally keeping KU off the newswaves.

Earlier this week, UK signed Archie Goodwin. ESPN did a full write-up and posted on, not only the home page of the College Basketball section, but also on the main home page. Not stopping there, they also made UK the focus of the little "top 25 recruiting classes" piece they do every year, because they signed their first recruit. That first recruit was enough to get Kentucky onto the list at #22. Where is KU, you ask? Not ranked, in spite of also having a top-flight prospect, and TWO recruits (as opposed to Kentucky's one). There are even a couple schools who have fewer total recruits AND fewer ESPN100 guys on the list, while KU is absent.

Seems like since there isn't a whole lot of recruiting action going on right now, it might make sense to also do an article of a top program (KU) signing another highly-touted recruit, or at least something more than the standard craptastic profile writeup that every recruit has on their individual profile page.

I know it sounds absurd to think that a media company like ESPN would get any benefit out of providing inadequate coverage for a university, especially one as high profile as KU (when it comes to basketball), but it's hard not to wonder. I guess all the college basketball writers are busy with... um, what, exactly?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

ESPN can suck on my Stihl string trimmer at high rpm.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 2 months ago

At least we're on the front page of the basketball recruiting page. Kind of surprised we're even there, to be honest.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 2 months ago

I've come to expect nothing but mediocrity from ESPN and I am never disappointed.

"Question of the Day"

What are the top five worst lurkers by school?

By worst, I mean the most brain dead, most sniveling, biggest pussies that show up before a big KU moment and then run and hide like a bunch of anally violated rodents.

Rank them from 1 to 5 with 1 being worst.

1. UK--these aliases beat out Memphis for number 1 the moment Calipari left a mousse trail between Memphis and Lexington. UK aliases are the most pathetic now by several orders of magnitude, because they were once a proud and corrupt program, with lurkers that knew the game, but are now just a corrupt program with lurkers that actually seem to have coitus with garden hoses, instead of thinking their posts through.

2. Texas--lurkers from Texas are by definition bottle fed on toxic chemicals cracked from crude stolen from around the world and refined and bottled in super fund sites masquerading as Gulf Coast refineries. All Texas lurkers' posts imply brain damage from too much hydrocarbon laced formula. So: when these Toxics, er, Texas lurkers are not out hunting illegal immigrants for kicks down at the Rio Grande with Dubya, Dick and Rick, they seem to like to come to this site around the time of the next Texas loss to KU, which is any time Texas and Granny Barnes try to pretend to play KU. And there posts run UK hygrocephalics a close second.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

1. Fizzouri--lurkers from Fizzouri are among the most maddening (and nauseating), because they would rather post here, while pretending to be deranged KU fans, than post on their own web sites, which is not surprising since by definition, one moron cannot comprehend even the three letter words of another moron, much less the psychotic delusions of Fizzourians thinking anyone could be fooled into think they were anything but subhuman gutter trash and bowel wash.

2. Memphis--lurkers from Memphisto have tumbled all the way to third, since Cal left Forfeitsville, Tennesee, for Stillville, Kentucky. But if Beale Street could talk and if Jimmy Baldwin were alive to take notes, he would say these Memphis lurkers, once among the worst, are now just low profilers in the idiocy league and their son of an AAU coach Head Coach Josh Pastner can restore them at least to the point where the dwarf Pastner is not taller than their starting bigs.

3. KSU--Its always difficult for me to diss Kansans, but KSU lurkers rank 5th here, because their posts often make even less sense than the 9/11 Commission's ludicrous conspiracy theory about some Saudis with box cutters some how being able to simultaneously high jack airplanes they were later confirmed not to be on, and fly them into buildings, while at the same time finding a way to trigger thermite charges capable of making high rises fall in their footprints, after they were supposedly killed in planes they weren't on. Even a random sampling of KSU lurkers keyboard self-deceptions leave yours truly thinking they must be failed CIA mind control experiments later used as human hunting targets by Dubya and Dick in the Texas outback.

Post Script: It is rumored that Vice President Joe "Plagiarist" Biden, long humiliated for plagiarizing campaign speeches and shamelessly routing Federal money and US jobs overseas, while the infrastructure in his own state crumbles, and unemployment rises, it is rumored that he has so little to do as Veep for Obama that that he is reputedly the DuPont-Delaware Mudhens designated lurker and wished for KU to schedule the Mudhens, so that in his role as designate lurker he can smear his own President, and KU fan, Barack Obama, with rumors that President Obama order the CIA to apply covert mind control (that then went awry) on the Booth family in order to make them pay the exorbitant money they did to buy Naismith's rules and keep them in a Fizzouri Museum, rather than in, say, the Kansas state historical society, or the Helen Spenser Research Library, or Lawrence Ministorage, instead of in Fizzouri.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Alohahawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Makes you wonder if there is a school for troll training, doesn't it? Rumor has it they automatically start off their next enrollment with members from those 5 institutions getting automatic, free admissions, with no questions asked. You just show your school ID, past or present.

Lessons are taught on how best to infuriate posters on competitive boards. Elementary English and reading courses are available for those who never learned their ABC's. Fronting the class is a desk on which sits a bottle of Vaseline hair tonic, with the inscription, "Property of Cal Lie Pari" and " Printed at the UK" . The classes use empty moonshine barrels on which to sit.

Of course, rumors often have substance behind them, fictitious or not.

Following in Jaybate's footsteps. No malice intended.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

At least Jay Bilas got it right and even took Cameron out of the equation because he played there. His quote ...not even close." sums up Allen compared to anybody else!!

I'll never forget Jay Bilas being the only guy on the pregame panel who thought Kansas would beat Memphis in 2006 [Digger Phelps was, is and will always be a d##k!!]

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I remember he picked them too in the paper the night before. BUT, right before game time he got cold feet and switched his pick to Memphis. I still respect him, but almost smashed the TV when he did that!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

I will never forget Jay being the only guy on the post game panel that would talk about KU and what a great, great come back they made!

Phallus Vitale and Bob Knight Errant had hyped Memphisto so hard, all they could talk about was how Memphis should have won the game. It made me nauseous.It made me want to hurl.

It made me begin to think about how the hype might be tied to setting spreads, and to the sports-media-gaming-industrial complex.

It made me realize KU really does guard the holy grail of the college game.

It made me realize that the darkness beyond Allen Field House at night is pitch black in the talking head dimension and that Jay Bilas sits there in a black wind with a very small candle flickering.

It made me realize Jay Bilas could have been a Jayhawk, should have been one.

Rock Chalk, Jay, Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't want to jinx it, but almost every post on this thread was positive (ignoring the acronym atrocities) and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to all of you who didn't proclaim that Self can't recruit. Or that Ellis was only rated #24 (or whatever) and we should be signing the #1's and #2's.

Self knows what he's doing. Look at his record. I know I have complained often and loudly about some of our bad late March losses, and that's out of passion and frustration, but the man knows all aspects of coaching. (Someone please remind me about how wonderful he is if we get beat in the first round by the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats)

Seriously though, Perry Ellis is a great fit for us and I'm glad that we got him and glad that most everyone is enthused about it.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 2 months ago

ESPN has immediate breaking news...Misery is having a press conf in an hour to say they're, ugh, staying in the B12..like they had an invitation to go somewhere else? Men that''s why they're the world leader in SUPERCONFERENCES!

Jstucks44 3 years, 2 months ago

I've seen Perry play and he has a very comparable game to Marcus Morris without the attitude. I'm excited to this kid develop under Coach Manning. If we can sign the big kid our front court with Traylor, Ellis, Peters and Tarczewsky we'll be set for years.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

If this Fizzouri AD were really trying to get Fizzou placed in another conference, would he have hired Haith?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Bulletin: The Las Vegas Prophet Elijah foretells Imam Shabazz will come to the Mecca of College Basketball to play.

Envision that!

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations, Coach Self and Staff, for the Perry Ellis commitment. Great work!