Thursday, September 15, 2011

Beyond the Phog” excerpt: Mario Chalmers on Villanova coach Jay Wright

"Beyond the Phog" book.

"Beyond the Phog" book.

photo

Courtesy photo

"Beyond the Phog" book.

The following is an excerpt from "Beyond the Phog - Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball's Most Dominant Decade." Compiled by Jason King of Yahoo! Sports and Lawrence Journal-World sportswriter Jesse Newell, the 400-page book includes interviews with 40 players and coaches from the most successful era in Jayhawks history. "Beyond the Phog" will be available in stores Sept. 30. KUSports.com will run excerpts from the book throughout the next few weeks.

In Mario Chalmers' words ...

A LITTLE PAYBACK

People like to talk about the North Carolina and Memphis games, but one of the biggest wins for us during the NCAA Tournament was against Villanova.

That game was personal, because Jay Wright – the Villanova coach – had also been the head coach of the USA Basketball team that represented the country in the Pan Am games the previous summer. Jay Wright cut both Sherron and me from that team and kept his own player from Villanova, Scottie Reynolds, who had clearly been the worst player at the entire camp. He led the whole camp in turnovers. Sherron didn’t play all that well, either, because his knee hadn’t recovered from the previous season. But for me, I felt like I did everything right. I led them in steals, I had a lot of assists and I barely had any turnovers. But I wasn’t shooting the ball very much. They used one of those international balls, so they were different. I didn’t like the ball. I shot maybe six times.

When they cut me, they told me it was because I didn’t score and that they wanted a scoring point guard. I was like, “Why do y’all need all these scorers? What do you need a scoring point guard for when you’ve got all these other scorers?” They had Alonzo Gee from Alabama and guys that could already score. I was just trying to get other players involved. When they cut me, I was hurt. I was like, “Oh, you wanted me to score and you didn’t tell me that?” They had told Coach Self they just wanted a guy to distribute the ball, but Jay Wright cut me and kept his own player.

So when it came to the Villanova game, Coach Self called Sherron and me into his office and said, “How do you feel about this Villanova game?” I said, “Coach, this is personal to me. I don’t like Jay Wright.” He was like, “I understand that, but keep it out of the media.” So when the media asked if it was a personal game, we’d say, “No, it’s not personal. It’s just another game.” But during the game we were talking all kinds of s--t to Jay Wright. We’d run by him and tell him, “Sit your ass down! We got this!” Another time we said to him, “This is what you get for cutting us. We’re about to dog you!” Anytime we were throwing the ball in from the sideline, when he was standing up trying to call a play, we’d tell him to shut his mouth and sit down. There was one play where I threw a lob to Shady on an inbounds pass and he dunked over Scottie Reynolds. Right before I threw it I looked at Jay Wright and said, “Watch this!” That game was definitely personal for Sherron and me.

Comments

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

All I have to say is WOW!!!! I mean WOW!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Sold! I'm buying multiple copies just in case want to read it again.

I sat on the sideline during a couple of ut games and I can tell you that Rick Barnes isn't high on Mario's or Sherrons list either.

Nick Cole 3 years, 1 month ago

This is fantastic. Must buy immediately.

boomrsoonr26 3 years, 1 month ago

That was pretty awesome. I love the rim mic during the tournament.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

The 3 "Sir Arthur" dunks were just nasty! I forgot about that spin move dunk!

Travis Avery 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow, I miss watching those guys play together. I forgot how good Arthur was!

Alohahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Wonder if Mr. (not coach) Wright plans to buy, or read, the book. Maybe Mario would sign a copy for him. HAHAHAHA!!! Love it, Mario. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. RCJHKU!!

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Wright bites.

Lowest thing I ever heard of.

This needs to go in the Booth Hall of Fame.

This ranks among the five greatest basketball Anecdotes I have ever read.

Chalmers and Sherron had balls the size of planets.

God bless both of them.

Rock Chalk!

KU_FAN_circa_77 3 years, 1 month ago

To all detractors of Chalmers' jawboning during that game:

We got this.

Sit your ass down.

DrPepper 3 years, 1 month ago

So much for keeping it out of the media!

ferdthemooncat 3 years, 1 month ago

'bout time we got this into the media; it's on my wish list now.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

This is awesome! First thing I read this morning and almost spit coffee all over the couch. Not a shooter? Wonder what Jay Wright thought when Mario delivered the game tying "shot heard 'round the world" in the NC game? This book is a must have.

Jordan Smith 3 years, 1 month ago

NC=National Championship, not North Crapolina.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

I know I will get ripped for this but. Although I liked the tenacity I think this is very disrespectful. So they got cut get over it. I still love both Mario and Sherron.

jhawk613 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't think you'll get ripped, but the timeline seems to infer that Sherron/Mario had no problems with Wright until he disrespected them.

After that it was gloves off.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

Haha I love these guys but yeah I'm the same boat as you... I wonder what Self does when his players are jawing at the opposing team's coach?

ku1otaku 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree. What gives him the right as a 20 year old kid to tell another coach to "shut-up and sit down." Comes across as very disrespectful. I don't think he would appreciate another player telling Coach Self to shut-up and sit down.

FTC_Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I would say that since he is a human in the USA he has the right to say what he wants to say to anybody, anytime he wants to say it. What a weird question. Of course it is disrespectful. Duh. The only purpose of saying something like this is to disrespect the person the subject of your words.

If one of Jay's kids had said something like that to coach Self, they just would have looked dumb since they were losing by 20 points. I'm sure kids say things to coach Self all of the time. Mostly, they end up on the losing end and coach Self and his army have the last laugh.

So what, everybody? This is normal at high levels of competition in every men's sport in our country.

John Boyle 3 years, 1 month ago

Part of the problem with sports today. No sportsmanship. I loved both players but let you game do the talking.

FTC_Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh please. This is not something that is new with sport. What is different "today" is the level of attention and scrutiny that these type of things receive. We have so much video, audio, newspaper articles, books, etc., that there has become a market for every little piece of information like this.

How about Ty Cobb? Babe Ruth? These dudes were all about disrespecting their opponents while engaged in competition. I would be more inclined to believe an argument that sports are more civil today that they ever have been before.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

This is isolated incident, just one that now is known. As far as disrespectful, that went out when Scottie Reynolds was in. Where is Scottie now? In the Philippine Basketball Association The mighty 'Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters' lol

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

Meant to say this isn't an isolated incident. Jay Wright is a big enough to handle himself.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

Its called being competitive. Something winning a National Championship requires.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

Telling someone to shut the f up and sit down is not being competitive. It's called being a d.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

Take off your rose colored glasses and take a big sniff of reality. Because no team wins a championship without gamesmanship , with out some one trying to own someone else. You must have hear the term "getting inside some ones head". They don't do it by singing Kumbaya and holding hands.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

that should have been "heard the term"..

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with mullen. HCBS had to have heard and had a sense of what was going on with the taunting. The officials should have been able to have also been aware. It's hard to comprehend that tolerance of this sort of unsportsmanlike conduct was allowed to take place. Trash talking among players is one thing. But, players trash talking to a coach is not acceptable. It should be with total discipline that players put any previous personal issues behind them while playing a game, regardless of the way it manifests itself. Sure, it can be a motivational factor if they dislike a coach or another player and want to prove something to them. But, an outward disrespectful verbal attack should be grounds for ejection by officials or some censure by the offenders coach.

This is dangerous ground we're walking on here. The game cannot reach down to this level.

Kyle Rohde 3 years, 1 month ago

Also agreed - while this book is going to be highly entertaining, I wonder how much my opinion of some of the guys we've had come through here will be lowered.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

rohdek 'my opinion of some of the guys we've had come through here will be lowered'

I'm sure they will be devastated.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh please! The morality police is out. Coach Wright's a big boy and he can take it.

Beate Williams 3 years, 1 month ago

Give me a break; where have you been. Mario and Sherron didn't invent this, it goes on and has gone on since forever. I think Wright disrespected them, especially Mario, by not saying what he wanted out of him and then taking his own player, for selfish reasons, over Mario. Sure Mario could have simply forgotten about it and went over and gave Wright a big kiss and thanked him for motivating him to be an even better player, yeah. Obviously no one knew what was happening which indicates they were discrete in what they were doing, it is part of the competition of it all. If Wright had been so offended don't you think he would have said something to someone, he did not. Get over it, grow up. This is not a little girl's soccer league.

addlime 3 years, 1 month ago

Exactly! I'm sure Jay Wright wasn't too happy to see the matchup with KU in the tournament either! He did what he had to do to be loyal to his own player, and then he had to take his medicine.

El Jay 3 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHA, you are absolutely ridiculous. I'll bet you were thrilled when Congress decided to investigate steroids in baseball too. Get off your high horse. That is what the game is and I guarantee you these arent the only guys who do this and this is probably nowhere near the worst its gotten. At the end of the day when these guys step on the court its a battle. As long as they have respect for their opponents off the court and keep it on the court, I dont care. We won, didnt we?

James Miller 3 years, 1 month ago

If you don't think players talk this kind of trash virtually every game, then you are kidding yourself. It is a part of the game.

FTC_Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

And just what makes it wrong? Dunking in someone's face is just as disrespectful; do you want our player's to stop doing that?

Sports bare out all of the most basic emotional attributes of competition. Some people like certain parts more than others, I guess.

Ian Brown 3 years, 1 month ago

"Dunking in somone's face is just as disrespectful..."

Umm... No.. No it's not. Dunking in someone's face is a basketball play--usually, it is when the defender attempts to block his opponents shot (also a basketball play) and the offensive player puts the ball into the basket authority so as to not get blocked (also a basketball play). There is nothing disrespectful about it, it's a natural part of, and within the flow of the game.

Now, if the player chose to talk a bunch of smack after "serving the facial", THAT would be just as disrespectful, and players DO get penalized for it.

For everyone that says, "ohh, talking trash is part of the game, always has been." Well, yes. That is true. But I am quite certain if you guys heard a story about Jacob Pullen, Michael Beasley, Johnny Flynn, Derrick Rose, or ANY other player saying something even remotely similar to what Chalmers and Collins were saying to Jay Wright, you all would be throwing a fit.

ku1otaku 3 years, 1 month ago

My point is not right or wrong (although I think it is obviously wrong). My point is that just because everyone does something doesn't make it right.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

You know what makes me sad? You do you jack wagon. Why don't we wander over to mamby pamby land. Want a tissue?

Kyle Cornish 3 years, 1 month ago

This happens ALL THE TIME... Trust me. Coaches talk trash and the players return it and vice versa. It's not civil on the floor, but as soon as the game is over, they can hug it out... Usually.

K_Easthouse 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm actually OK with the trash-talking. It's not something I really knew a lot about, which is part of the reason this excerpt is so interesting.

Still, it sounds like something that could happen. I'm sure Self has been taunted plenty of times for a variety of reasons. More than that, basketball is as much a game of manipulating emotions and riding the waves of "ups and downs." Getting into any players' -or coaches' - head can have a profound impact on the game overall.

Loving the story, now I'm going to HAVE to buy the book.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

There is trash talking and then there is blatant disrespect. And what Mario and Sherron did was very disrespectful. Would you teach children to ever talk this way to adults. Adults should not talk like this to one another let alone young men. Could you imagine an 18 year old getting kicked out of a private school for not cutting it grade wise; only to find out at another school that he is very intellegent but just needed to approach school in a different way. Then when he is about to graduate he notices the principal of the other school is there and when he passes by the principle gets up to shake his hand and the kid says sit your ass down. Things in life happen there is no need for this conduct NO MATTER WHAT SETTING YOU ARE IN.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 1 month ago

"blatant disrespect" says the anonymous tool with the photoshopped POTUS for his avatar.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

I can assure you sir I am not a hammer nor am I a screwdriver.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

In all honesty though I am an Obama fan and found this pic too be cool.

FTC_Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

In your scenario, I would find it perfectly appropriate for the graduate to tell the former principal to sit his ass down. I think it would be less likely to happen in that setting, but appropriate. Thank you for this example to make me feel better about Mario's and Sherron's actions.

Actually, I think I've seen the movie you are describing, and the principal gets punched in the face. That behavior would actually infringe on the former principal's rights, so I wouldn't condone that. I would smile about it, though.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

No mullen..just pointing out the hypocrisy..

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Can you try again with your anaology? I do not understand it at all! i find it ironic, as the poster above mentioned, that you find it disrespectful, yet you have that avatar because you think it's cool? Good thing I won't judge you outside of this forum or assume you are a terrible person? Or will I?

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

So you are justifying Sherron and Mario's behavior by my avatar? OK

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Not at all, you're kind of being a hyporcrite by the display of your avatar.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

If your not a hypocrite then you are a hypocrite.

DoctorTK 2 years, 9 months ago

In a recent conversation with my daughter, her 3rd and 4th grade enrichment teacher (who without a doubt favored boys) came up and her response?

"I'd like to go back to that school, find the principal and the enrichment teacher and tell them in their face: 'You didn't think I was good enough for your stinking enrichment program? I am 21 and I got my bachelor's degrees in chemical engineering + biology and master's degree in environmental engineering from Johns Hopkins University."

I tell her to go for it! They stunk and they are in position to ruin other kids. They deserve to be disrespected.

Just my 2 cents... :)

P.S. No disrespect to Tom Keegan, I do enjoy his articles from time to time, but I am a different TK.

TwinCitiesJHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Def gonna buy this - I hope you guys put it on Amazon

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Apperently some of you are unaware that basketball players like to talk trash during games. It's no big deal and I'm sure JW has heard it before.

I'll let you in on something else so the book doesn't ruin you day. Basketball players also like to smoke weed, play video games, and have sex with girls.

El Jay 3 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats freaking AWESOME!!! God I love Mario. What a G

Joe Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

All I have to say about the Nova game is for Tarc and Ellis to take note.

Tarc- Watch Sasha Kahn, that can be you soon. Ellis- Watch Shady, that could very well be you my friend.

All you need is a pen and the chance is yours. Learn from the best big man coach in the nation. Note the nasty spin move performed by Sir Arthur. Mr Kahn greased the rim that game too.

Tharpe get ready my friend and note how Robinson, Chalmers and Collins fed the bigs.

kusully 3 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully some of these stories don't ignite an NCAA investigation. Mario's is harmless but...

bradynsdad 3 years, 1 month ago

If it's news to anyone that trashtalking goes on then you have never been played or involved in athletics. Coaches can't stop it. These are 18 to 22 year old kids. Things do get personal just read "At home in the Phog", when coach self talks about Roy talking to his new players. Maybe sherron and Mario went overboard but I get where they're coming from.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Well said! Maybe they didn't go too far, but maybe the story was just exaggerated in the mind of Mario to make it a little more spicy! It does happen! How do you think Myths and Legends get portrayed! Agree.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Geez, if they mic'd up the players in college basketball, some of these posters might have a heart attack. So they taunted Jay Wright? You think Bill doesn't get taunts EVERY game? How is this shocking to some people? If it was so bad the officials would have called them on it.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Completely agree with this! I've both played and officiated! It's not as bad as it seems! Has anyone ever heard of a story being exaggerated the longer it's put in the past? Anybody else see a correlation to any of this?

jacqueshock 3 years, 1 month ago

One difference between the 2008 team and the 2011 team. According to this the 2008 team kept things out of the media and did not talk junk before the game. The 2011 team did and, because KU lost to VCU, was a sticking point in the loss. Of course, if KU loses to Nova, then the trash talking would have been a sticking point then. Winning covers a lot of things.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Great point! 2008 team did have it's fair share of publicity, but I always remember wanting more from them! Hindsight is that they gave everything we all wanted! A Championship!

You're exactly right, a little too much publicity in 2011 could have been perceived as the downfall. I'm not going to blame it all on that, but it's a very interesting point.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

First off, Jay Wright is indeed a total douche bag who gives as good as he gets, so he can certainly take it.

My concern, as was HCBS's, was if the refs picked up on this, our guys could have been teed up and lost playing time.

Maybe more so than any other sport, in basketball, it's personal..you're in each other's face for the whole game. You don't sit when either offense or defense is on the field. There are no half an innning breaks in the dugout. It's hand to hand combat.

Right, wrong or indifferent, trash talking is part of the game. Do I approve? No Do I dictate it be eliminated? Not my call.

Do you all know who allegedly was the worst trash talker in the NBA? Someone you would have never guessed.....Larry Bird. He was quiet and subtle but he hit players, coaches, refs, etc.

I was at the 1971 Kansas vs UCLA NCAA semifinal game in the Houston Astrodome with floor tickets right behind the UCLA bench. You want to take a guess at who was the dirtiest, meanest spirited trash talker that afternoon???

Coach John Wooden!!!

breckmoney 3 years, 1 month ago

I love it. I'm a Kentucky fan, but I look forward to purchasing and reading. Any "behind the scenes" stuff is great and Jason King has been one of the best "interest piece" writers on the web for a while now. Good stuff.

Alohahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Famous line in the movie, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets": Malfoy says to Crabbe (or was it Goyle?), "I didn't know you could read." Eh... I didn't know Kenstinky (sorry breckmoney) fans could read. Actually, it's nice to know that a Kentucky fan can come onto the KU board and say something with no animosity in mind. Mahalo for your gracious comment.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

It's not like they were yelling it at him, they said it as they ran by, they said it as they stood next to their bench, they had fun with it. They played loose and they not only won, but they kicked some serious a$$, so they get a pass IMO.

This book looks great and can't wait to get a copy.

As for those worried about NCAA violations, uh that would mean somebody from the NCAA would have to actually read it.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

I know some don't like this tactic, but I love it! It's a side you don't see very often and it's refreshing! With that said, KU as a program (Players, coaches, etc) has taken a hit over the last couple of years from a media standpoint.

I'm not saying from a Jayhawk fan perspective, but the media and public perception to some have been using KU as a punching bag and it irritates me on a small scale. Recruiting is a fickle business, but with every little vicotry by another school, the media try's to paint a negative image towards KU. Yes, it's on a small scale because I know not everybody follow recruiting, but it's out there.

I like the idea of being classy and sportmanslike, but it's also nice to have a little edge and IMO comments like this from Mario Chalmers about Jay Wright which is over 3 years removed from his playing days is simply awesome. A little attitude and honesty after the fact is simply okay in my book.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

We are taking hits for a reason, but it has nothing to do with KU's behavior. KU remains choir boys compared to the usual behavior of the usual suspects that must be rounded up to talk about bad behavior in D1.

Said it before.

Sayin' it again.

KU appears to be being used by the sports/media/gaming industrial complex.

They make big, big, !@#$%ing big money from under rating KU, and setting the spreads, so they sheer the suckers.

Sometime in the next ten years, the story of the dynamics of talking head hype, betting spreads and clipping suckers is going to surface.

It has too.

It could be done with so many teams.

Too much money can be made.

Funhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Its interesting to hear the comments about the coaches trash talking. In one of Ted Owens' last games in AFH, I was sitting in the next row directly behind the K-State bench. I was shocked to hear the K-State coach name calling of his own players. I was sitting right next to their star player's parents. The parents and the coach were calling their kid names I cannot repeat, and the player was having a heck of a game, as usual. The player kept looking over at his coach and parents' mean, screaming faces. Ironically, KU was never in the game. Wildcats stomped the Hawks that game in AFH, and the whole game I had to hear the Wildcat coach and star player's parents call their kid names that absolutely blew my mind. I felt sorry for the K-State player, but he went on to the NBA and did well.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Eddie Elder? Les Craft? Tyrone Jackson? Lafayette Watkins? Ben Mitchell? Jim Roder? Fred Marshall?

Come on, now....don't leave us hanging. Who was it?

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm wrong Blackman would have left the year before Ted's last season. Les Craft, Tim Jankovich, Ed Nealy.

oldalum 3 years, 1 month ago

I hope we get some comments about the game with Kentucky/Pitino.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

If a player slams the ball on the court too hard out of anger, he gets a foul and possible ejection.

A player hangs on the rim for too many seconds and he is charged with a foul and possible ejection.

A player can berate the opposing team's coach to his face while the clock is running and he keeps on playing unscathed and without penalty. (and some of our fans don't have a problem with this, unless it was the being done to our coach)

Dr. Naismith is probably spinning in his grave!

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

I am pretty sure that the people who find this to be "awesome" and "loving it", are probably pretty disrespectful to others themselves. Don't get me wrong trashtalking has it's place but what they were saying was beyond over the top.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

I disagree! So, you're saying because of what Mario Chalmers said on a basketball court in March of 2008 makes him disrespectful to others outside of that game? I find that hard to believe!

You may not like the path Chalmers chose for that game, but to assume Chalmers or anyone else is disrespectful because they don't have a problem with the situation? Sorry, I have to laugh at that one. Doesn't make any sense!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm responding on mullen's behalf here. The statement he made"...pretty disrespectful to others themselves" is referring to people who post their comments condoning this trash talking to a coach. It isn't that Chalmers is neccesarily a disrespectful person, except to coaches he has issues with.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

I understand that Memhawk! I actually don't have a problem with Chalmers statements because I know how motivation and how intense things can get on a basketball court. It's part of the game!

I am confident that if anything was out of line the officials would have stepped in and given warnings to the team and bench and technicals if necessary if anything had crossed the line.

With that said, because I love the story, does that make me disrespectful to others in the real world? That's a terrible assertion in my book.

Also, because of Chalmers's actions in that game Mullen is also insinuating by his comment that Chalmers is also disrespectful to others. If you think Chalmers gets a pass except to the coaches than why don't the other posters in this forum get a pass soely on the situation that they read today. It's a poor assumption on Mullen's part!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm ready to move on. Hopefully, Larry Brown or Ted Owens, whoever is the coach on the opposite bench from Chalmers in the Legends game, hasn't done something in the past to piss Mario off or we might just be taking "Legend-ary" to a new level!

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't think they were doing it in front of the refs. I think they did it as they ran by or before the official came over for the inbound play.

It's not like they were yelling it at the top of their lungs or something stupid. And I have seen players from Texas do it to coach Self along with guys from KSU and MU too. It happens in every game where a player gets hot and lets the opposing coach know that he doesn't have a guy on his bench to stop him.

Duke players do it too, and they get away with a lot more than you think. The problem with watching a game on TV is you are either watching a replay and mis what a player might be doing or you are watching the ball, or the camera is pulled to far out to see what is really going on. Plus with the "red" button in the truck for all live games, a lot of it is probably edited out.

As for being disrespectful to others????? C'mon man you just lumped everyone in one boat, so you have disrespected a lot of people thinking you know us all. But hey you are above all that right?

rockemchalkemrobots 3 years, 1 month ago

Great game by the Hawks. Nova fans got exaclty what they deserved, IMO. We were hanging out at Hockeytown watching the Wisconsin-Davidson game before going to the KU game and there were a bunch of Villanova people there talking trash. They were talking a lot about the beating they threw us in 2005. Watching them stream out of Ford Field with about 12 minutes left in the game was priceless. The back story on motivation for the full throttle effort is enlightening.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm not usually into this sort of thing, but "Watch this!" That's funny...

Hawk_SJU_PA 3 years, 1 month ago

Sounds very mature. Street punks.

But then again anything anti-Nova is fine in my eyes.

THWND !!!!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

Good News! Watch something else.. Hell..you can stop watching, following, reading AND commentating.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

"Disappointing and classless." --Paintman

Fits Jay Wright to a T. :-)

bennybob 3 years, 1 month ago

Just another reason to add to my list of why mario chalmers is my favorite jayhawk of all time.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

I just stayed up 4 hours and watched every single game for that year. Shouldn't have showed me the Vault.

Theutus 3 years, 1 month ago

Every time I watch footage of the 08 team I'm reminded of how amazing they really were... So many insanely athletic dunks and alley-oops... Such incredible team work and passing...

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll never see a team like that again in our lifetime... Of course we have great talent year after year, but a team that plays like that... The 08 team is the only time I've ever seen it.

AndOne 3 years, 1 month ago

Whoa - I did not know about the NCAA vault. Very cool. This will cost me some productive time!

orbiter 3 years, 1 month ago

all you lilting flowers so disturbed by this are so precious. you know there is no Santa Clause too?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Is the Santa CLAUSE some sort of rider or addendum? Or, did Santa once have an E at the end of his name?

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

I am a blood thirsty Venus Fly trap and I want Jay Wright to do time in Basketball Alcatraz.

I want his genitals mounted on pikes above the NABC convention hotel entrance.

I want his eyes plucked out and fed to hungry narwals.

Just kidding. I think he already got what he deserved.

An L in single elimination.

And humiliation in front of his team.

CrodieBroyle 3 years, 1 month ago

haha, that is awesome. I didn't think i could like Mario anymore than i already did

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 1 month ago

i'm sure there all kinds of these stories out there. there are reasons why certain games are more motivating...than others. this is a perfect illustration...because we didn't have it much for Davidson the next game.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

I went back and read the comments that Mario was quoted with. Except for his personal claim to the "Watch This" comment to Jay Wright, he repeats the word "we", referring to he and Sherron, as it applies to the trash talking. So, we really do not know who said what and can only speculate as to who is the guiltier party. Don't forget also, Mario's dad was on the KU bench and, like most dads, probably wouldn't want to shake hands with Wright after the game if his son had taunted him, had Ronnie known about it.

Curtis Stutz 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Wright was supposed to be representing the United States of America to the best of his ability by taking that coaching job, and what did he do, oh just cut the following year's FF MVP from the team in favor of one of his players. For any of you that don't care for the way our players showed him the errors of his ways, I don't care one bit how our players/fans/staff treat anyone who puts himself ahead of his responsibilities to this great nation. Our players had zero moral obligation to not humiliate Jay Wright, nay, I say it was their civic duty to show him his err. If given the chance I hope any one of us would let him know how badly Mario and Sherron worked him over.

dinvean 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah first time a coach kept his own guy on a national squad as the 12th man. Mario should have thicker skin.

Kansas was a great team that year by the way, why wouldn't the work over a 12 seed? Great accomplishment.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Wright should have reached in his over paid pocket and paid his own lesser players way, if he had wanted him on the team.

Wright is light. Wright bites. Fight light bites. Fight Wright. Support right.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

We just had two. The Morris Twins. I bet we have more but don't know it. I'll bet Mr. Robinson can bring it.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

I will buy the book but not from Amazon. They need to start collecting state taxes.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah....God knows we need to pay more taxes. I guess eBay is out also.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

Not sure where you live but most states are struggling to support basic services. Colorado and California are suing Amazon for what is rightfully the states. These are simple sales tax you pay on every other purchase.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Funny, I will start buying from Amazon, when Bezos starts paying his people a union wage someone could send a kid to college on.

dinvean 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Wright at coaching >>>>> Mario Chalmers at anything

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

Jay Wright...ONE Final Four and one split Big East Reg Season title... But he does dress well.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

No, Wright's wife dresses him well.

He could never do that on his own.

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

It's great that Mario & Sherron took motivation from the snub, but a coach would have to be an idiot to cut his own All American candidate from the Pan Am team. And any coach who did would deserve a stern lecture from his AD.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

No, Jay should have picked the best players, or he should not have taken the job and stunk up the honor of America and the game.

Isn't it great how stern, simplistic pronouncements like yours can be easily, logically, and persuasively refuted? :-)

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

"Should have picked the best players?" Talk about simplistic. So how do you judge the best players? By your two weeks of practice? Or do you take into account what you've witnessed your own player do all season as Big East freshman of the year, like throwing down 40 against UConn? (Wiki.)

And after the Pan Am games, that coach has got to go back and coach that player every day for the next couple seasons with that player knowing "he didn't pick me."

Gets a little more complex when you look past the black and white of a printed page and those gray areas begin to creep in.

Of course, politics and nepotism never come into play into these decisions. That's why Bill played Brady all year. Because he actually gave us a much better chance to win than EJJoshMarioTravisetc. I wonder if we'll play WSU in the tournament someday and Royce will tell Bill, "Watch this."

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

First of all, nepotism refers to favors granted to relatives, or friends.

Wright's player was neither to him, so pick a fitting word, you self-righteous fop.

No, wait!

I'll pick a string for you.

Wright was being a "self-serving, unprofessional, disingenuous yahoo!"

Who was the better player?

Chalmer, or Wright's free loader?

You have no case here at all, counselor, and your wasting Judge jaybate's friction' keyboard battery here.

Which player won a ring?

Which player went on to play a solid pro game and stick with Riles, one of the better judges of talent and heart in the L, and find a significant role on the latest marquis team?

When you're just bald-faced, schtupping wrong, why don't you admit it like a mensch and get on it.

Being called simplistic by a pig headed, Russian bargainer like you is a compliment.

If you're a lawyer, you better chase ambulances for a living, because serious clients that can think are going to run from you.

YEeeeeee hawwwww!

Basketball season approacheth, because KULA is starting to act stupider and stupider in preparation for another season. Its an amusing part of The Legacy.

Luv ya to death, KULA.

Next. :-)

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

Is that what passes for debating points in your book? Arguing word definitions and ad hominems? Resorting to such trivial points only manifests the weakness of your rebuttal (if there even is one in your post) to my original point, that a coach would be foolish not to pick his own player between two relatively evenly matched kids. He did have to go home after the Pan Am games and face his university, his AD, his alumni and his team. I don't supposed those considerations would have any bearing on any human being's decision, huh? By the way, the "clear evidence" you cite as proof that Mario was a better player simply did not exist at the time of the choice. It was all still in the future at that point, so I guess that means it couldn't be taken into account unless Jay Wright had a crystal ball. As usual, in your zeal to contradict something I posted, you've lost the thread of the post and degenerated to name calling. Well done, jaybate. Give yourself another pat on the back.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

How can you expect people to understand your position if you don't use the correct words.

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't expect you to understand anything I say, Boulder.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm pretty geeked.

The cowboy with the limp cig is streaming as I type.

Can't we get this cowpoke some cowgirl that makes his cig stand up?

Is that too much to ask?

Maybe a non pharmacological solution will work for the poor guy. :-)

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

I will make one final comment on this subject. The ideal of "sportsmanship" is a nice one but I don't think it ever has truly existed to the extent that we have been led to believe that it has in the past or present. Since the emergence of media we have learned the inside tales of what has really happened on the field , the court or the rink and it clear that their tales of "gamesmanship" and getting inside one another's heads are not anomalies but the norm and even systemic. Lets face it. In Greek Mythology the original Olympians came to power when Zeus overthrew his father. If that is not gamesmanship I don't know what is.