Thursday, September 15, 2011

Beyond the Phog” excerpt: Mario Chalmers on Villanova coach Jay Wright

"Beyond the Phog" book.

"Beyond the Phog" book.

photo

Courtesy photo

"Beyond the Phog" book.

The following is an excerpt from "Beyond the Phog - Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball's Most Dominant Decade." Compiled by Jason King of Yahoo! Sports and Lawrence Journal-World sportswriter Jesse Newell, the 400-page book includes interviews with 40 players and coaches from the most successful era in Jayhawks history. "Beyond the Phog" will be available in stores Sept. 30. KUSports.com will run excerpts from the book throughout the next few weeks.

In Mario Chalmers' words ...

A LITTLE PAYBACK

People like to talk about the North Carolina and Memphis games, but one of the biggest wins for us during the NCAA Tournament was against Villanova.

That game was personal, because Jay Wright – the Villanova coach – had also been the head coach of the USA Basketball team that represented the country in the Pan Am games the previous summer. Jay Wright cut both Sherron and me from that team and kept his own player from Villanova, Scottie Reynolds, who had clearly been the worst player at the entire camp. He led the whole camp in turnovers. Sherron didn’t play all that well, either, because his knee hadn’t recovered from the previous season. But for me, I felt like I did everything right. I led them in steals, I had a lot of assists and I barely had any turnovers. But I wasn’t shooting the ball very much. They used one of those international balls, so they were different. I didn’t like the ball. I shot maybe six times.

When they cut me, they told me it was because I didn’t score and that they wanted a scoring point guard. I was like, “Why do y’all need all these scorers? What do you need a scoring point guard for when you’ve got all these other scorers?” They had Alonzo Gee from Alabama and guys that could already score. I was just trying to get other players involved. When they cut me, I was hurt. I was like, “Oh, you wanted me to score and you didn’t tell me that?” They had told Coach Self they just wanted a guy to distribute the ball, but Jay Wright cut me and kept his own player.

So when it came to the Villanova game, Coach Self called Sherron and me into his office and said, “How do you feel about this Villanova game?” I said, “Coach, this is personal to me. I don’t like Jay Wright.” He was like, “I understand that, but keep it out of the media.” So when the media asked if it was a personal game, we’d say, “No, it’s not personal. It’s just another game.” But during the game we were talking all kinds of s--t to Jay Wright. We’d run by him and tell him, “Sit your ass down! We got this!” Another time we said to him, “This is what you get for cutting us. We’re about to dog you!” Anytime we were throwing the ball in from the sideline, when he was standing up trying to call a play, we’d tell him to shut his mouth and sit down. There was one play where I threw a lob to Shady on an inbounds pass and he dunked over Scottie Reynolds. Right before I threw it I looked at Jay Wright and said, “Watch this!” That game was definitely personal for Sherron and me.

Comments

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

I will make one final comment on this subject. The ideal of "sportsmanship" is a nice one but I don't think it ever has truly existed to the extent that we have been led to believe that it has in the past or present. Since the emergence of media we have learned the inside tales of what has really happened on the field , the court or the rink and it clear that their tales of "gamesmanship" and getting inside one another's heads are not anomalies but the norm and even systemic. Lets face it. In Greek Mythology the original Olympians came to power when Zeus overthrew his father. If that is not gamesmanship I don't know what is.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty geeked.

The cowboy with the limp cig is streaming as I type.

Can't we get this cowpoke some cowgirl that makes his cig stand up?

Is that too much to ask?

Maybe a non pharmacological solution will work for the poor guy. :-)

KULA 2 years, 7 months ago

It's great that Mario & Sherron took motivation from the snub, but a coach would have to be an idiot to cut his own All American candidate from the Pan Am team. And any coach who did would deserve a stern lecture from his AD.

dinvean 2 years, 7 months ago

Jay Wright at coaching >>>>> Mario Chalmers at anything

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 7 months ago

I will buy the book but not from Amazon. They need to start collecting state taxes.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish we had a player with half the cockiness of Chalmers. He was awesome.

phogphan2000 2 years, 7 months ago

Jay Wright was supposed to be representing the United States of America to the best of his ability by taking that coaching job, and what did he do, oh just cut the following year's FF MVP from the team in favor of one of his players. For any of you that don't care for the way our players showed him the errors of his ways, I don't care one bit how our players/fans/staff treat anyone who puts himself ahead of his responsibilities to this great nation. Our players had zero moral obligation to not humiliate Jay Wright, nay, I say it was their civic duty to show him his err. If given the chance I hope any one of us would let him know how badly Mario and Sherron worked him over.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

I went back and read the comments that Mario was quoted with. Except for his personal claim to the "Watch This" comment to Jay Wright, he repeats the word "we", referring to he and Sherron, as it applies to the trash talking. So, we really do not know who said what and can only speculate as to who is the guiltier party. Don't forget also, Mario's dad was on the KU bench and, like most dads, probably wouldn't want to shake hands with Wright after the game if his son had taunted him, had Ronnie known about it.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

i'm sure there all kinds of these stories out there. there are reasons why certain games are more motivating...than others. this is a perfect illustration...because we didn't have it much for Davidson the next game.

CrodieBroyle 2 years, 7 months ago

haha, that is awesome. I didn't think i could like Mario anymore than i already did

orbiter 2 years, 7 months ago

all you lilting flowers so disturbed by this are so precious. you know there is no Santa Clause too?

AndOne 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoa - I did not know about the NCAA vault. Very cool. This will cost me some productive time!

bennybob 2 years, 7 months ago

Just another reason to add to my list of why mario chalmers is my favorite jayhawk of all time.

Paintman 2 years, 7 months ago

Disappointing and classless. No wonder sportsmanship keeps eroding.

Hawk_SJU_PA 2 years, 7 months ago

Sounds very mature. Street punks.

But then again anything anti-Nova is fine in my eyes.

THWND !!!!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not usually into this sort of thing, but "Watch this!" That's funny...

rockemchalkemrobots 2 years, 7 months ago

Great game by the Hawks. Nova fans got exaclty what they deserved, IMO. We were hanging out at Hockeytown watching the Wisconsin-Davidson game before going to the KU game and there were a bunch of Villanova people there talking trash. They were talking a lot about the beating they threw us in 2005. Watching them stream out of Ford Field with about 12 minutes left in the game was priceless. The back story on motivation for the full throttle effort is enlightening.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

If a player slams the ball on the court too hard out of anger, he gets a foul and possible ejection.

A player hangs on the rim for too many seconds and he is charged with a foul and possible ejection.

A player can berate the opposing team's coach to his face while the clock is running and he keeps on playing unscathed and without penalty. (and some of our fans don't have a problem with this, unless it was the being done to our coach)

Dr. Naismith is probably spinning in his grave!

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

I hope we get some comments about the game with Kentucky/Pitino.

Funhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Its interesting to hear the comments about the coaches trash talking. In one of Ted Owens' last games in AFH, I was sitting in the next row directly behind the K-State bench. I was shocked to hear the K-State coach name calling of his own players. I was sitting right next to their star player's parents. The parents and the coach were calling their kid names I cannot repeat, and the player was having a heck of a game, as usual. The player kept looking over at his coach and parents' mean, screaming faces. Ironically, KU was never in the game. Wildcats stomped the Hawks that game in AFH, and the whole game I had to hear the Wildcat coach and star player's parents call their kid names that absolutely blew my mind. I felt sorry for the K-State player, but he went on to the NBA and did well.

kushaw 2 years, 7 months ago

I know some don't like this tactic, but I love it! It's a side you don't see very often and it's refreshing! With that said, KU as a program (Players, coaches, etc) has taken a hit over the last couple of years from a media standpoint.

I'm not saying from a Jayhawk fan perspective, but the media and public perception to some have been using KU as a punching bag and it irritates me on a small scale. Recruiting is a fickle business, but with every little vicotry by another school, the media try's to paint a negative image towards KU. Yes, it's on a small scale because I know not everybody follow recruiting, but it's out there.

I like the idea of being classy and sportmanslike, but it's also nice to have a little edge and IMO comments like this from Mario Chalmers about Jay Wright which is over 3 years removed from his playing days is simply awesome. A little attitude and honesty after the fact is simply okay in my book.

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

It's not like they were yelling it at him, they said it as they ran by, they said it as they stood next to their bench, they had fun with it. They played loose and they not only won, but they kicked some serious a$$, so they get a pass IMO.

This book looks great and can't wait to get a copy.

As for those worried about NCAA violations, uh that would mean somebody from the NCAA would have to actually read it.

JHawk06 2 years, 7 months ago

Hahahaha. Absolutely love this!

breckmoney 2 years, 7 months ago

I love it. I'm a Kentucky fan, but I look forward to purchasing and reading. Any "behind the scenes" stuff is great and Jason King has been one of the best "interest piece" writers on the web for a while now. Good stuff.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

First off, Jay Wright is indeed a total douche bag who gives as good as he gets, so he can certainly take it.

My concern, as was HCBS's, was if the refs picked up on this, our guys could have been teed up and lost playing time.

Maybe more so than any other sport, in basketball, it's personal..you're in each other's face for the whole game. You don't sit when either offense or defense is on the field. There are no half an innning breaks in the dugout. It's hand to hand combat.

Right, wrong or indifferent, trash talking is part of the game. Do I approve? No Do I dictate it be eliminated? Not my call.

Do you all know who allegedly was the worst trash talker in the NBA? Someone you would have never guessed.....Larry Bird. He was quiet and subtle but he hit players, coaches, refs, etc.

I was at the 1971 Kansas vs UCLA NCAA semifinal game in the Houston Astrodome with floor tickets right behind the UCLA bench. You want to take a guess at who was the dirtiest, meanest spirited trash talker that afternoon???

Coach John Wooden!!!

jacqueshock 2 years, 7 months ago

One difference between the 2008 team and the 2011 team. According to this the 2008 team kept things out of the media and did not talk junk before the game. The 2011 team did and, because KU lost to VCU, was a sticking point in the loss. Of course, if KU loses to Nova, then the trash talking would have been a sticking point then. Winning covers a lot of things.

Jaminrawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Geez, if they mic'd up the players in college basketball, some of these posters might have a heart attack. So they taunted Jay Wright? You think Bill doesn't get taunts EVERY game? How is this shocking to some people? If it was so bad the officials would have called them on it.

bradynsdad 2 years, 7 months ago

If it's news to anyone that trashtalking goes on then you have never been played or involved in athletics. Coaches can't stop it. These are 18 to 22 year old kids. Things do get personal just read "At home in the Phog", when coach self talks about Roy talking to his new players. Maybe sherron and Mario went overboard but I get where they're coming from.

kusully 2 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully some of these stories don't ignite an NCAA investigation. Mario's is harmless but...

Joe Baker 2 years, 7 months ago

All I have to say about the Nova game is for Tarc and Ellis to take note.

Tarc- Watch Sasha Kahn, that can be you soon. Ellis- Watch Shady, that could very well be you my friend.

All you need is a pen and the chance is yours. Learn from the best big man coach in the nation. Note the nasty spin move performed by Sir Arthur. Mr Kahn greased the rim that game too.

Tharpe get ready my friend and note how Robinson, Chalmers and Collins fed the bigs.

El Jay 2 years, 7 months ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats freaking AWESOME!!! God I love Mario. What a G

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

Apperently some of you are unaware that basketball players like to talk trash during games. It's no big deal and I'm sure JW has heard it before.

I'll let you in on something else so the book doesn't ruin you day. Basketball players also like to smoke weed, play video games, and have sex with girls.

TwinCitiesJHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Def gonna buy this - I hope you guys put it on Amazon

K_Easthouse 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm actually OK with the trash-talking. It's not something I really knew a lot about, which is part of the reason this excerpt is so interesting.

Still, it sounds like something that could happen. I'm sure Self has been taunted plenty of times for a variety of reasons. More than that, basketball is as much a game of manipulating emotions and riding the waves of "ups and downs." Getting into any players' -or coaches' - head can have a profound impact on the game overall.

Loving the story, now I'm going to HAVE to buy the book.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 7 months ago

This is the very definition of NO CLASS, LOW LIFE players.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with mullen. HCBS had to have heard and had a sense of what was going on with the taunting. The officials should have been able to have also been aware. It's hard to comprehend that tolerance of this sort of unsportsmanlike conduct was allowed to take place. Trash talking among players is one thing. But, players trash talking to a coach is not acceptable. It should be with total discipline that players put any previous personal issues behind them while playing a game, regardless of the way it manifests itself. Sure, it can be a motivational factor if they dislike a coach or another player and want to prove something to them. But, an outward disrespectful verbal attack should be grounds for ejection by officials or some censure by the offenders coach.

This is dangerous ground we're walking on here. The game cannot reach down to this level.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 7 months ago

I know I will get ripped for this but. Although I liked the tenacity I think this is very disrespectful. So they got cut get over it. I still love both Mario and Sherron.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

This is awesome! First thing I read this morning and almost spit coffee all over the couch. Not a shooter? Wonder what Jay Wright thought when Mario delivered the game tying "shot heard 'round the world" in the NC game? This book is a must have.

ferdthemooncat 2 years, 7 months ago

'bout time we got this into the media; it's on my wish list now.

DrPepper 2 years, 7 months ago

So much for keeping it out of the media!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Jay Wright bites.

Lowest thing I ever heard of.

This needs to go in the Booth Hall of Fame.

This ranks among the five greatest basketball Anecdotes I have ever read.

Chalmers and Sherron had balls the size of planets.

God bless both of them.

Rock Chalk!

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Wonder if Mr. (not coach) Wright plans to buy, or read, the book. Maybe Mario would sign a copy for him. HAHAHAHA!!! Love it, Mario. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. RCJHKU!!

Nick Cole 2 years, 7 months ago

This is fantastic. Must buy immediately.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

Sold! I'm buying multiple copies just in case want to read it again.

I sat on the sideline during a couple of ut games and I can tell you that Rick Barnes isn't high on Mario's or Sherrons list either.

Funhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoa! I want that book! Now!

Ryan Wood 2 years, 7 months ago

LOL. This book is going to be great.

Wickedson 2 years, 7 months ago

bwahahaha. What a bunch a hoolagins!

CaramelMacchMan 2 years, 7 months ago

All I have to say is WOW!!!! I mean WOW!!