Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Josh Selby confirms plans for ‘Legends of the Phog’

Former Kansas guard Josh Selby has confirmed he will play in the Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition game Sept. 24, 2011 in Allen Fieldhouse.

Feature

Legends of the Phog roster

These former KU players have all confirmed their attendance at the Legends of the Phog game.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Josh Selby has confirmed he will be playing in the Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition game at 4 p.m., Sept. 24, in Allen Fieldhouse.

Selby, who played one season at KU, then was selected by Memphis in the second round of the 2011 NBA Draft, currently is competing in Impact Basketball’s Competitive Training Series, which began Monday and will run through Sept. 23 at Joe Abunassar’s Impact Basketball in Las Vegas.

Selby is on a team with Tony Allen, Derrick Caracter, Coby Karl, Jeremy Evans, Derek Fisher, Gary Forbes, Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Armon Johnson and Xavier Silas.

In all, more than 60 NBA players will attend to train and play camp games.

Other NBA players confirmed to play in KU’s Legends game: Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City), Darrell Arthur (Memphis), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (OKC), Xavier Henry (Memphis), Darnell Jackson (Sacramento), Marcus Morris (Houston), Markieff Morris (Phoenix), Paul Pierce (Boston), Brandon Rush (Indiana) and Julian Wright (Toronto).

Former KU players who have said they will attend the game: Nick Bradford, Eric Chenowith, Jeff Graves, Jeff Hawkins, Ron Kellogg, Greg Ostertag, Scot Pollard, Ryan Robertson, Wayne Simien, Billy Thomas and Darnell Valentine. There’s a chance some of those individuals could play in the game. Former KU coaches Larry Brown and Ted Owens will serve as the coaches of the two teams.

White to visit

Andrew White, a 6-6, 210-pound senior forward from Miller School in Chester, Va., will attend the Legends of the Phog game as part of an official campus visit to KU.

White, who is Rivals.com’s No. 56-rated prospect in the Class of 2012, will visit Texas on Sept. 30 and Louisville Oct. 14. He is also considering Maryland, Memphis, West Virginia, Tennessee and others.

“Being able to visit a school with such history and tradition will be an awesome experience for me,” White told Rivals.com. “During my visit, I’ll find out if Kansas is the right fit. What I do know right now is that Kansas is a school that I really like.”

KU’s coaches will conduct an in-home visit with White on Wednesday.

Comments

martyks 2 years, 7 months ago

but it IS named "Legends" and Josh is, by far, the biggest flop to ever play for the Jayhawks. I just don't see why anyone would want to see him on the court again. I could name 100 Jayhawks I would rather see. If you want to see Josh play, fine. Just don't blink. He may check out after the first minute and have his mom grab the P.A. mic to let us know he isn't coming back. He's not a legend. "Rock Chalk, I'm outta here"

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 2 years, 7 months ago

Welcome back to Josh, and ANY other Jayhawk player from previous teams! The Kansas Jayhawks ARE Legendary and anyone who has worn the Crimson & Blue are part of this great team, no matter if they played every game, played some games, or mostly played on the practice teams! It's ridiculous that posters here would think that any Jayhawk is less than Legendary! Wow . . . I'm simply amazed at the history of this team!

Rock Chalk!

kerbyd 2 years, 7 months ago

Not sure if it was mentioned above but don't forget how Wilt felt when he came back after all those years. He was really surprised at how he was welcomed back with open arms.

kfcwar 2 years, 7 months ago

If I never get to see TJ Whatley come in for the last 2 minutes of a blowout again, I'm shaving my moustache!!!

stm62 2 years, 7 months ago

Again, once a jayhawk always a jayhawk. Welcome back Josh !

AZHawk72 2 years, 7 months ago

If I was going to pick one absentee to join the crowd, it would probably be Adonis Jordan. When we were down and out and struggling under the whole Vince Askew probation thing, one player took us through the mess and held his head high. Sure, he didn't make it to the NBA, but he did more for us than 75% of the attendees listed.

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I have enjoyed reading the more positive Josh Selby commentary today. Gotta hope that no fan who attends this game is inclined to disgrace himself with a boo. In the minds of potential recruits, Josh is still a high school wunderkind whose year at Kansas was an aberration on his already well established talents. I imagine that Josh is the type of guard whom Larry Brown might enjoy coaching. Brown was a proponent of Sherron at the time of his NBA tryouts.

FinalFinal 2 years, 7 months ago

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

slayr,

You raise an interesting point and maybe a potentially inspiring one.

Men and women do not play against each other at the peaks of their careers for reasons of size and strength and historical legacies that have put mens and women's teams on different tracks, for better, or for worse. But at a Legends game it might be fun (and ennobling) to give the game two halves, or play two shortened games, if you will.

The first half, or first game, could be a game for the men who are still able to play the game full tilt boogy. It could be the best against the best, as evenly matched as possible.

The second, half, or second game, could be a match that would include all the guys and gals from the past that would like to get out and play for fun. It hopefully would include the best of the best, too, but this game would be more of a "mixer" in which part of the fun would be watching the superstars help "glue" the others. Such a game could include the men and the women, the old and the young, and really become a fun, joyous celebration of all that KU basketball is.

Lynette Woodward is so extraordinary, so exceptional, so awesome of a player, it is wrong for her not to be out on the sacred wood for a Legends Game.

I don't really know how this could work. I'm just throwing out ideas. And it is tricky to even talk about this without sounding either sexist to the women, or disrespectful to the men. So, I'll resort to Bob Dylan.

"I ain't lookin' to compete with you Beat or cheat or mistreat you Simplify you, classify you Deny, defy or crucify you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

No, and I ain't lookin' to fight with you Frighten you or up-tighten you Drag you down or drain you down Chain you down or bring you down All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I ain't lookin' to block you up Shock or knock or lock you up Analyze you, categorize you Finalize you or advertise you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to straight-face you Race or chase you, track or trace you Or disgrace you or displace you Or define you or confine you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to meet your kin Make you spin or do you in Or select you or dissect you Or inspect you or reject you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to fake you out Take or shake or forsake you out I ain't lookin' for you to feel like me See like me or be like me All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you." --Bob Dylan

Billy Derringer 2 years, 7 months ago

William Blake 2 years, 7 months ago

What about Lynette Woodard?!

Four-time All-American, Olympic gold medalist, inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts, and inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, Tennessee. Ex-Harlem Globetrotter.

She is the first woman basketball player to be honored by having her jersey retired at KU!

Lynette lives in Wichita and is accessible. Few have shined at her brilliance!

Lynette is, without doubt, a true legend in basketball!

William Blake 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, JB! I thought Joseph Henry ("Jo Jo") kept a residence in Lawrence?

You know what would be a major scream?

Bring back John Riggins and have him run around the floor with a keg (empty) over his head!

That will bring back plenty of memories for some of us old timers when "The Diesel" used to fetch full kegs for The Wheel by himself and carry them over his head up the hill!

And write on the keg "SUPPORT KU FOOTBALL!"

Whether people like it or not, KU football is the largest element that determines our value to other conferences.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

In all the pixel tickling going on, no one is mentioning Jo Jo White?

Where the heck is our bonafide All-Timer in the back court?

He's got to come back!

To the Beatle's "Get Back"..

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner But he knew it couldn't last Jojo left his home in Boston, Massachusetts Bought some Expedia pass Get back, get back Get back to where you once belonged Get back, get back Get back to where you once belonged Get back Jojo, come home Get back, get back Back to where you once belonged Get back, get back Back to where you once belonged Get back Jo Sweet Bernie Little thought she was a Chancellor But she was another fan All the Deans around her say she's got his number That she dials it when she can Get back, get back Get back, bring Jo Jo back to where he once belonged Get back, get back Get back to where he once belonged Get back, Bernadette, bring Jo home Get back, get back Get back, bring Jo Jo where he once belonged Get back, get back Get back, to where Jo Jo once belonged Get home Jo Jo Your Chancellor's waiting for you Wearing her high-heel shoes And your old letter sweater Get on home Bernadette Get back, get back Bring Jo Jo back to where he once belonged

(Note: the lyrics are meant only to imply that CBernie use her usual persuasiveness and charm to bring our great and beloved Jo Jo White back to Allen Field House, nothing else. She is a great chancellor and deserves all our respect. But bringing Jo Jo back required some one of equal force of will to Jo Jo to make the lyrics work. Please forgive me Chancellor. Poetic license.)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Listen very carefully...there will be a boatload of recruits at this game. Whether you like him or not, cheer for Josh and every other Hawk.

The last thing these potential recruits need to hear is the home Hawk crowd booing one of our own.

Think, people...think!!!!!!!!!

This is an opportunity for Jayhawk Nation to do our part in the recruitment process.......don't blow it!!!!!!!!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Some of you are just disgusting. This event was probably titled wrong ("legends") for some of the KU masses? The connection is with NBA. Thus Josh deserves to play. He is in the NBA at this point in time, and I wish he builds upon his dream.

Life is about making the most of your opportunities. Josh's "opportunity" at KU was severely hampered by his 2 injuries, and the NCAA's joshfoolery. It almost cost him dearly, but he now still has an NBA opportunity.

You people judging his KU-only performance as some NBA-qualifier are totally missing the point: if there was no 1yr rule, Josh goes directly to the NBA. He was that good in highschool, that was already proven by him. His KU experiences only served to bring his ratings down, and again that was because of circumstances beyond his control.

His control? Oh, OK, maybe he shouldnt have played 100% (& sandbagged like Xaveeyay Henry), so he wouldnt get hurt at KU, eh????? Maybe he could have "controlled" those factors that way? But no, Josh chose to play hurt, he showed hustle, diving/throwing his body into tables and out-of-bounds to save a play. He busted his butt for us, but fate was unkind to him.

Im thrilled Josh is coming-->his name adds the lustre of a #1 rated PG, NBA player to the festivities, and that can only help the kids who remember the JordanClassic game. All they will see is Selby made his dream & attended KU. Get the big-picture (never refuse 'free' publicity like this to help recruiting)!!! Also, how about welcoming a former player back, and hoping he can show us his skills when healthy?

You dont think Josh wants this chance to show the AFH crowd his game at 100%??? You know he commented on the internet KU trash after he left, if anybody cares to recall that story right here in LJW...You people who "kick-a-'Hawk" when he was down make me sick! I want to see Josh at 100%, because I love basketball.

cajayfan 2 years, 7 months ago

He is a legend......in his own mind.

tis4tim 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm proud of Josh. I don't know what more he can possibly do to convince detractors that he loves being a Jayhawk. He could easily have turned down the invitation and laid low indefinitely considering the maelstrom that surrounded his time here and how polarizing a figure he remains among fans. Some of us could learn a few lessons in confidence and self-assurance from this young man and I hope he has a blast coming back to campus. Welcome home, Josh.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 7 months ago

If this game were being held 20 years from now, no one would be wishing Josh Selby to be there. He's not a legend of the Phog.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 7 months ago

I think a lot of the animosity toward Josh has to do with the way the season ended. If Josh rides the bench and we win a national championship; he can leave early without need for redemption. I was disappointed with his brief career and would like to have seen him return and exceed my highest expectations. I can be disappointed without making Josh a villain.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm. so. excited. I. just. can't. hide. it. I'm. about. to. lose. control. And. I. think. I. like. it.

KUFan90 2 years, 7 months ago

What's the news on Drew Gooden?

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Welcome back, Josh! I hope to see you healthy and on your game. Thanks for signing on with the Jayhawks last season. If I were at this game I would cheer loudly at your introduction and splendid effort.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

I have yet to see anybody mention Sherron's name. Let's not forget his contribution in the Nat'l Championship game. Plus, doesn't he hold some record for most something at KU (no, not most visits to Taco Bell), like player with most wins or similarly important?

I'd love to see him and Cole again, as well as him playing with some of the earlier big men. How about a backcourt of him and Mario, then a front court of Pierce, Collison and Jackson?

Funhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

So good to see Ronnie Kellogg coming. Ron Kellogg was bombing away three-pointers before there was a three point line in college basketball. It would be fun to see more of that team: Cedric Hunter, Greg Dreiling, "Pony," Turg. That era around 1986 was the resurgence of Jayhawk basketball.

Another fun era was the early 90s with Roy's teams who went to two final fours. It would be fun to see Rex Walters and Adonis Jordon and all those guys. Those teams were underdogs. Underdogs are fun.

Travis Clementsmith 2 years, 7 months ago

It really surprises me that KU wants to be a school that attracts the best talent from high school, but when they do come and they do go early, some people act all indignant about it. Josh had a tough year with getting eligible and then injury. His goal was to get to the NBA, but I have no doubt that while he was here, he wanted to be the best Jayhawk he could. Welcome back, Josh, hope you put on a great show and become a great ambassador for KU!

maddogjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I personally don't understand and dont agree with all of the Selby Bashing that goes on in this forum.

The kid picked KU to play at and he could have picked anywhere to play.

It was known upfront when he committed that he would probably be a one-and-done and that is what happened.

Missing the first 9 games did not help and neither did his injury.

I have recently watched almost every game again that he played in this past season when he was healthy and the kid was a special player and could have been really special if he had stayed one more year.

My only issue is the way he left, supposedly his mom contacted HCBS. Other than that, he should have stayed one more year but then I am not in his shoes living from a tough area in Maryland.

I hope that when he does come back for the Legends at the Phog event that he is welcomed with open arms and treated like all of the other past Kansas Jayhawk players.

I wish I could be there but I am about 600 miles away. The last game I saw at Allen Fieldhouse was when Raef and Paul played together. 3 rows up behind the Texas Tech bench... talk about a blow out!

As far as the tile of the event goes "Legends of the Phog"... what actually defines a legend and does every other player on the list that is schedule to come back fit that definition? I don't think so.

On a final note; would be nice if Roy was invited because despite the past hard feelings on how he left after saying he would never leave... he did give us 15 great years.

ThEcHoSeN1 2 years, 7 months ago

Not sure Josh Selby qualifies as a "Legend" of the Phog. Seems like he was more of a myth.

John Sheehan 2 years, 7 months ago

Great move on his part. I hope Josh-haters will now quiet down and embrace him.

It didn't work out for him the way he wanted it to here, but it wasn't all his fault. When healthy he was a stud.

He did miss a lot of shots in the VCU game, but check stat lines of fan favorites Tyrel and Brady too. That was a team loss.

He will always be a Jayhawk and I will always root for him. Rock Chalk

jayhawktalk 2 years, 7 months ago

Awesome Josh is coming. I hope he has a great game.

Only wish I could be there to see it, and hope it's made available at some point for the general public.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

Legends of the Phlops starting line ups:

Josh Selby Micha Downs Luke Axtell Lester Earl Eric Chenoworth

Josh Galler 2 years, 7 months ago

I was at KU during the 100 years anniversary. THat was a fun weekend vs Mizzou, camp out for 2 weeks, and see all the past Jayhawks

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'd love to see a collection of the coaches come back. In keeping with the all-invited theme, let's have former head coaches Larry Brown and Roy Williams (I know, I know) come back and be reunited with their players, along with Matt Doherty, Billy Gillespie, John Calipari, as well as a couple of players now coaching Tad Boyle and Mark Turgeon. I understand Dean Smith is suffering in his old age and probably couldn't/wouldn't come. Anyone else?

trueblue68 2 years, 7 months ago

What is the status of Raaf LaFrenz playing/comingt to the Legends game??

kusayzone 2 years, 7 months ago

Give Josh a break.....all he wants to do is prove he can play with the big boys..............

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 7 months ago

He is not a legend and personally I wouldn't have invited him and if I was there I would boo him unmercifully

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't there some guy named Manning who had a role in 1988? I didn't see his name above.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

Selby will, of course, have to forfeit the first 10 minutes of the game due to the NCAA Clearinghouse nvestigating his Legend status.

nutritionguy75 2 years, 7 months ago

We seem to be missing one Legend--Where is Kirk?

jhox 2 years, 7 months ago

It will be nice to see how a healthy Josh looks playing in Allen. That's something we really didn't get to see last season.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

Awesome...we welcome back all Jayhawks!!!

ClydeTurnbuckle 2 years, 7 months ago

Where's Christian Moody? Kenny Gregory? Michael Lee? The Boschee?

Josh Galler 2 years, 7 months ago

i would love to see wayne play in the game

JacquesMerde 2 years, 7 months ago

Everyone can't be a Dranell Jackson. The world would go madly in love if everyone was.

Huskerhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Are the players each invited to play or was there a blanket invitation? I personally don't consider him to be a legend. Other than the criticism he has received on this site he seems to be a forgettable individual.

Janet Scott 2 years, 7 months ago

I applaud Josh for returning, and fully support him. He is as much a Jayhawk as any of the others who have commited to play. Why the constant criticism of Josh, which is reflective of nothing but gutless ineptitude? Enough.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Josh,

Come and have fun. Put your a-game on the record at AFH. To be there is to help the cause.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 7 months ago

Come on, show him some love. I mean i am really surprised he is coming back so that is showin me somethin. He is a proud jayhawk!! Rock Chalk, Selby!!

matlockhawk 2 years, 7 months ago