Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Josh Selby confirms plans for ‘Legends of the Phog’

Former Kansas guard Josh Selby has confirmed he will play in the Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition game Sept. 24, 2011 in Allen Fieldhouse.

Feature

Legends of the Phog roster

These former KU players have all confirmed their attendance at the Legends of the Phog game.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Josh Selby has confirmed he will be playing in the Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition game at 4 p.m., Sept. 24, in Allen Fieldhouse.

Selby, who played one season at KU, then was selected by Memphis in the second round of the 2011 NBA Draft, currently is competing in Impact Basketball’s Competitive Training Series, which began Monday and will run through Sept. 23 at Joe Abunassar’s Impact Basketball in Las Vegas.

Selby is on a team with Tony Allen, Derrick Caracter, Coby Karl, Jeremy Evans, Derek Fisher, Gary Forbes, Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Armon Johnson and Xavier Silas.

In all, more than 60 NBA players will attend to train and play camp games.

Other NBA players confirmed to play in KU’s Legends game: Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City), Darrell Arthur (Memphis), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (OKC), Xavier Henry (Memphis), Darnell Jackson (Sacramento), Marcus Morris (Houston), Markieff Morris (Phoenix), Paul Pierce (Boston), Brandon Rush (Indiana) and Julian Wright (Toronto).

Former KU players who have said they will attend the game: Nick Bradford, Eric Chenowith, Jeff Graves, Jeff Hawkins, Ron Kellogg, Greg Ostertag, Scot Pollard, Ryan Robertson, Wayne Simien, Billy Thomas and Darnell Valentine. There’s a chance some of those individuals could play in the game. Former KU coaches Larry Brown and Ted Owens will serve as the coaches of the two teams.

White to visit

Andrew White, a 6-6, 210-pound senior forward from Miller School in Chester, Va., will attend the Legends of the Phog game as part of an official campus visit to KU.

White, who is Rivals.com’s No. 56-rated prospect in the Class of 2012, will visit Texas on Sept. 30 and Louisville Oct. 14. He is also considering Maryland, Memphis, West Virginia, Tennessee and others.

“Being able to visit a school with such history and tradition will be an awesome experience for me,” White told Rivals.com. “During my visit, I’ll find out if Kansas is the right fit. What I do know right now is that Kansas is a school that I really like.”

KU’s coaches will conduct an in-home visit with White on Wednesday.

Comments

matlockhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Josh who????????????????????????????????????

KUFan90 3 years, 2 months ago

Ridiculous comment. I think this is great news. Josh did what he felt was best for his situation...why hate?

doolindalton 3 years, 2 months ago

I personally don't hate Selby for leaving, but I don't think putting in a half of a season at the Phog qualifies him as one of the "legends." It would be like listing the guy who substituted for Ringo for a couple of weeks while the latter was having his tonsils removed as one of the Beatles.

matlockhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

No hate at all. Certainly not a legend. What is the point?

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 2 months ago

Let it rest..Josh is and will be a Jayhawk... He is coming back for a CHARITY event. Don't like it, don't go.

Welcome back Josh!

kerbyd 3 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of "legends" and guys who were worried about coming back to KU........Wasn't Wilt suprised at how the fans embraced him when he came back to KU after all those years. I seem to remember he thought a lot of fans would be against him because he left early. Just sayin.

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

People can thank me for not booing him. I'll just sit on my hands. If he's invited, every Jayhawk I can think of should be invited. He's at the bottom of my list when it comes to legends. Seriously, give me a name of someone you would list below him. He tried his best? Who didn't? Don't call me a hater unless you can name one former Jayhawk you would be less interested in seeing play that night. Why pretend he means anything to KU?

Chris Bruning 3 years, 2 months ago

Come on, show him some love. I mean i am really surprised he is coming back so that is showin me somethin. He is a proud jayhawk!! Rock Chalk, Selby!!

matlockhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

There has to be some money involved..........did his momma call this in too?

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Josh,

Come and have fun. Put your a-game on the record at AFH. To be there is to help the cause.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

Gutless ineptitude? Kinda describes Selby's play for the Jayhawks.

gchawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe he played with reckless abandon at times, but I don't believe he was ever "gutless".

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

He was gutless when he had his mommy call Bill Self to tell him Josh wouldn't be coming back.

matlockhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Ineptitude does describe him fairly well......lol

Huskerhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Are the players each invited to play or was there a blanket invitation? I personally don't consider him to be a legend. Other than the criticism he has received on this site he seems to be a forgettable individual.

JacquesMerde 3 years, 2 months ago

He's a legend. Just not one you might like to remember but will never forget. Give him some love. He needs it.

P.S. I hope legends don't have to be memorable for positive reasons.

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

His three against USC in his first game, gives him some status to play in this game.

Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk family over everything Jayhawk for Life

JacquesMerde 3 years, 2 months ago

Everyone can't be a Dranell Jackson. The world would go madly in love if everyone was.

Josh Galler 3 years, 2 months ago

i would love to see wayne play in the game

ClydeTurnbuckle 3 years, 2 months ago

Where's Christian Moody? Kenny Gregory? Michael Lee? The Boschee?

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

The "Boschee" and Michael Lee are coaches and perhaps have academic or other duties that would prevent them from coming, but I'm looking forward to seeing them again. If this isn't broadcast live on the web, I certainly hope that it will be an instant classic on You Tube or the KU site.

I'd love to see Jarod Haase. I really enjoyed his book.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

Awesome...we welcome back all Jayhawks!!!

jhox 3 years, 2 months ago

It will be nice to see how a healthy Josh looks playing in Allen. That's something we really didn't get to see last season.

nutritionguy75 3 years, 2 months ago

We seem to be missing one Legend--Where is Kirk?

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 2 months ago

heard his wife is about to give birth...no kusports.com story just another blogger

Nick Adams 3 years, 2 months ago

^^^^This accurate. Kirk's wife is due within days of this event, otherwise he would be in attendance.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Selby will, of course, have to forfeit the first 10 minutes of the game due to the NCAA Clearinghouse nvestigating his Legend status.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't there some guy named Manning who had a role in 1988? I didn't see his name above.

jc1306 3 years, 2 months ago

That would be great for our recruits that will be in attendance. Hey guys, here's how we treat our former players when they come back, booooooo!

bad_dog 3 years, 2 months ago

If you booed anyone at that game you might just get your you know what kicked.

Swiftly.

Repeatedly.

Go there at your own peril..

kusayzone 3 years, 2 months ago

Give Josh a break.....all he wants to do is prove he can play with the big boys..............

trueblue68 3 years, 2 months ago

What is the status of Raaf LaFrenz playing/comingt to the Legends game??

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'd love to see a collection of the coaches come back. In keeping with the all-invited theme, let's have former head coaches Larry Brown and Roy Williams (I know, I know) come back and be reunited with their players, along with Matt Doherty, Billy Gillespie, John Calipari, as well as a couple of players now coaching Tad Boyle and Mark Turgeon. I understand Dean Smith is suffering in his old age and probably couldn't/wouldn't come. Anyone else?

Josh Galler 3 years, 2 months ago

I was at KU during the 100 years anniversary. THat was a fun weekend vs Mizzou, camp out for 2 weeks, and see all the past Jayhawks

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 2 months ago

Legends of the Phlops starting line ups:

Josh Selby Micha Downs Luke Axtell Lester Earl Eric Chenoworth

jayhawktalk 3 years, 2 months ago

Your posts are generally a little cleverer than this... Disappointing effort... Having a down day?

hawksince51 3 years, 2 months ago

IMHO Eric does not belong on this list. He gave us the best he could for 4 years.

KUFan90 3 years, 2 months ago

Dumb to put Josh on here, but also why Lester Earl? He hurt his knee...he always played hard and gave it his all.

I'll never forget his block in the Big 12 tourney where he went up, blocked the shot with one hand, pulled down the ball, and wagged his finger "no-no" in the face of the player he blocked.

And his dunk over the ball rack in the McDonalds AA game.

Back off Lester man...

jayhawktalk 3 years, 2 months ago

Awesome Josh is coming. I hope he has a great game.

Only wish I could be there to see it, and hope it's made available at some point for the general public.

John Sheehan 3 years, 2 months ago

Great move on his part. I hope Josh-haters will now quiet down and embrace him.

It didn't work out for him the way he wanted it to here, but it wasn't all his fault. When healthy he was a stud.

He did miss a lot of shots in the VCU game, but check stat lines of fan favorites Tyrel and Brady too. That was a team loss.

He will always be a Jayhawk and I will always root for him. Rock Chalk

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

The same could be said for CJ Henry! Would you want him to be in this lineup?

John Sheehan 3 years, 2 months ago

Not sure how the "same could be said for CJ"...did you mean Xavier?

CJ Henry got mop up duty - period. And he didn't leave to go to the league. He just left.

Josh Selby started, hit the winning shot in his first game, played significant minutes when healthy and is now in the NBA - no comparison.

Your point makes no sense.

And I think you're taking the "legend" part too literally. This is a recruiting tool and the more guys "in the league" that are there, the more recruits will want to play at KU.

ThEcHoSeN1 3 years, 2 months ago

Not sure Josh Selby qualifies as a "Legend" of the Phog. Seems like he was more of a myth.

Jabez Harlan 3 years, 2 months ago

best comment I have read in months! Short, sweet, and full of the truth!

maddogjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I personally don't understand and dont agree with all of the Selby Bashing that goes on in this forum.

The kid picked KU to play at and he could have picked anywhere to play.

It was known upfront when he committed that he would probably be a one-and-done and that is what happened.

Missing the first 9 games did not help and neither did his injury.

I have recently watched almost every game again that he played in this past season when he was healthy and the kid was a special player and could have been really special if he had stayed one more year.

My only issue is the way he left, supposedly his mom contacted HCBS. Other than that, he should have stayed one more year but then I am not in his shoes living from a tough area in Maryland.

I hope that when he does come back for the Legends at the Phog event that he is welcomed with open arms and treated like all of the other past Kansas Jayhawk players.

I wish I could be there but I am about 600 miles away. The last game I saw at Allen Fieldhouse was when Raef and Paul played together. 3 rows up behind the Texas Tech bench... talk about a blow out!

As far as the tile of the event goes "Legends of the Phog"... what actually defines a legend and does every other player on the list that is schedule to come back fit that definition? I don't think so.

On a final note; would be nice if Roy was invited because despite the past hard feelings on how he left after saying he would never leave... he did give us 15 great years.

Travis Clementsmith 3 years, 2 months ago

It really surprises me that KU wants to be a school that attracts the best talent from high school, but when they do come and they do go early, some people act all indignant about it. Josh had a tough year with getting eligible and then injury. His goal was to get to the NBA, but I have no doubt that while he was here, he wanted to be the best Jayhawk he could. Welcome back, Josh, hope you put on a great show and become a great ambassador for KU!

maddogjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree... you could see how much he was enjoying himself, especially before the injury. The injury set him back and when he did get back on the court he was not fully healed, was not at full speed, and was trying to hard.

However, he was and always will be a Kansas Jayahwk

Funhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

So good to see Ronnie Kellogg coming. Ron Kellogg was bombing away three-pointers before there was a three point line in college basketball. It would be fun to see more of that team: Cedric Hunter, Greg Dreiling, "Pony," Turg. That era around 1986 was the resurgence of Jayhawk basketball.

Another fun era was the early 90s with Roy's teams who went to two final fours. It would be fun to see Rex Walters and Adonis Jordon and all those guys. Those teams were underdogs. Underdogs are fun.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

I have yet to see anybody mention Sherron's name. Let's not forget his contribution in the Nat'l Championship game. Plus, doesn't he hold some record for most something at KU (no, not most visits to Taco Bell), like player with most wins or similarly important?

I'd love to see him and Cole again, as well as him playing with some of the earlier big men. How about a backcourt of him and Mario, then a front court of Pierce, Collison and Jackson?

Jabez Harlan 3 years, 2 months ago

I would much rather see Collins in the game than Selby. Collins means more to the program than most players on the list!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Copy. Paste.

But I want to see both in the game.

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Welcome back, Josh! I hope to see you healthy and on your game. Thanks for signing on with the Jayhawks last season. If I were at this game I would cheer loudly at your introduction and splendid effort.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm. so. excited. I. just. can't. hide. it. I'm. about. to. lose. control. And. I. think. I. like. it.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Man did I luuuuuuuuuv that song and the Pointer Sisters doing it.

Rock hall of fame stuff for sure.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 2 months ago

I think a lot of the animosity toward Josh has to do with the way the season ended. If Josh rides the bench and we win a national championship; he can leave early without need for redemption. I was disappointed with his brief career and would like to have seen him return and exceed my highest expectations. I can be disappointed without making Josh a villain.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I am REALLY struggling to listen to the little angel dude on my right shoulder, and not the little pointy tailed dude on my left shoulder.

I was not a Josh fan after his first game here. I know that probably amuses and disgusts a lot of people, but in my mind's eye, he didn't make the team stronger, he made us weaker whenever he was on the floor. Yes, I know he got 21 and the game winning bucket in the USC game, but that was a game that we should have won by 20. The rest of the team stood around the whole game and watched the boy wonder work his magic. I wasn't a fan of his the rest of the season, and I didn't care for the way he left Kansas.

Having said that - he's, what?, 18 or 19 years old. Yes, he had the injuries. And like tis4tim said, he accepted the invitation and he's coming back - he did not have to, and a lot of people would not have, given the amount of crap he's taken. So - big kudos to him for that. I sincerely hope that he hears ALL cheers and NO boos while he's here. I wish him well in his pro career.

And please remember, that as fans, we're ALL allowed to have our favorite players and if they're not the same as your favorite players, we shouldn't be ostracised.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 2 months ago

If this game were being held 20 years from now, no one would be wishing Josh Selby to be there. He's not a legend of the Phog.

tis4tim 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm proud of Josh. I don't know what more he can possibly do to convince detractors that he loves being a Jayhawk. He could easily have turned down the invitation and laid low indefinitely considering the maelstrom that surrounded his time here and how polarizing a figure he remains among fans. Some of us could learn a few lessons in confidence and self-assurance from this young man and I hope he has a blast coming back to campus. Welcome home, Josh.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 2 months ago

Josh is the only one I've ever written anything negative about (I think). I hope Josh is successful in what he does, honestly, I just don't have any really good memories of him and so I question him coming to this game. So I don't know if you can lump all of us down on Selby as being responsible for running off future recruits. I sure wouldn't boo a kid either if I was at the game like someone suggested earlier.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

And another thing, this is the same kind of out-of-proportion negativity we heard for years about Tyrel and BStar and Tyshawn, and even about Sherron at times.

You can crit players without getting down on them as human beings and Jayhawks.

No one stunk up a floor as much as EJ did for awhile, but the people that understood the game knew he was going to find his way and be a player.

We've got to get the discourse focused on the reality of the player and his learning curve, while they are here, and we've got to root for these guys to make it to the pros as soon as they can, if they can.

I understand persons that knock Josh for the way he conducted his exit from Lawrence for the first few months he was gone.

But when he comes back to fix it, for god's sakes let him fix it.

The kid was a Jayhawk.

The kid is a point who played the three.

He played with a stress fracture and a boot.

He never dogged it.

He just had a horrible season because of late start, injuries, struggle with learning the system, and getting caught in a back court with several guys that could get it done without the TOs.

This didn't mean he wasn't a great player, or that he was a bad kid.

It meant it was a bad season.

Anyone who has ever played has had one of those.

Rock Chalk Josh.

You will be respected by those that understand the game for coming back to set things right.

Those that don't get it now, will get it in a few years.

Those that never get it, don't matter.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Listen very carefully...there will be a boatload of recruits at this game. Whether you like him or not, cheer for Josh and every other Hawk.

The last thing these potential recruits need to hear is the home Hawk crowd booing one of our own.

Think, people...think!!!!!!!!!

This is an opportunity for Jayhawk Nation to do our part in the recruitment process.......don't blow it!!!!!!!!

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

In all the pixel tickling going on, no one is mentioning Jo Jo White?

Where the heck is our bonafide All-Timer in the back court?

He's got to come back!

To the Beatle's "Get Back"..

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner But he knew it couldn't last Jojo left his home in Boston, Massachusetts Bought some Expedia pass Get back, get back Get back to where you once belonged Get back, get back Get back to where you once belonged Get back Jojo, come home Get back, get back Back to where you once belonged Get back, get back Back to where you once belonged Get back Jo Sweet Bernie Little thought she was a Chancellor But she was another fan All the Deans around her say she's got his number That she dials it when she can Get back, get back Get back, bring Jo Jo back to where he once belonged Get back, get back Get back to where he once belonged Get back, Bernadette, bring Jo home Get back, get back Get back, bring Jo Jo where he once belonged Get back, get back Get back, to where Jo Jo once belonged Get home Jo Jo Your Chancellor's waiting for you Wearing her high-heel shoes And your old letter sweater Get on home Bernadette Get back, get back Bring Jo Jo back to where he once belonged

(Note: the lyrics are meant only to imply that CBernie use her usual persuasiveness and charm to bring our great and beloved Jo Jo White back to Allen Field House, nothing else. She is a great chancellor and deserves all our respect. But bringing Jo Jo back required some one of equal force of will to Jo Jo to make the lyrics work. Please forgive me Chancellor. Poetic license.)

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

And Donnie Shanklin and Junior could run around behind Riggo shucking and jiving and faking carrying footballs. :-)

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 2 months ago

Many years ago I met Donnie on the first tee at one of our municipal golf courses here in Amarillo. The starter put us together. First thing he noticed was my JayBird head cover. First thing I noticed was his name! "Orangebowl MVP" I said. He just smiled. He and I played several more times over the years, but it has been a while since I've seen him out. I was told he's been battling prostate cancer.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

The great one lives in Lawrence? I thought he was director of special projects, or something for the Celts.

Billy Derringer 3 years, 2 months ago

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

slayr,

You raise an interesting point and maybe a potentially inspiring one.

Men and women do not play against each other at the peaks of their careers for reasons of size and strength and historical legacies that have put mens and women's teams on different tracks, for better, or for worse. But at a Legends game it might be fun (and ennobling) to give the game two halves, or play two shortened games, if you will.

The first half, or first game, could be a game for the men who are still able to play the game full tilt boogy. It could be the best against the best, as evenly matched as possible.

The second, half, or second game, could be a match that would include all the guys and gals from the past that would like to get out and play for fun. It hopefully would include the best of the best, too, but this game would be more of a "mixer" in which part of the fun would be watching the superstars help "glue" the others. Such a game could include the men and the women, the old and the young, and really become a fun, joyous celebration of all that KU basketball is.

Lynette Woodward is so extraordinary, so exceptional, so awesome of a player, it is wrong for her not to be out on the sacred wood for a Legends Game.

I don't really know how this could work. I'm just throwing out ideas. And it is tricky to even talk about this without sounding either sexist to the women, or disrespectful to the men. So, I'll resort to Bob Dylan.

"I ain't lookin' to compete with you Beat or cheat or mistreat you Simplify you, classify you Deny, defy or crucify you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

No, and I ain't lookin' to fight with you Frighten you or up-tighten you Drag you down or drain you down Chain you down or bring you down All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I ain't lookin' to block you up Shock or knock or lock you up Analyze you, categorize you Finalize you or advertise you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to straight-face you Race or chase you, track or trace you Or disgrace you or displace you Or define you or confine you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to meet your kin Make you spin or do you in Or select you or dissect you Or inspect you or reject you All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you.

I don't want to fake you out Take or shake or forsake you out I ain't lookin' for you to feel like me See like me or be like me All I really want to do Is, baby, be friends with you." --Bob Dylan

FinalFinal 3 years, 2 months ago

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I have enjoyed reading the more positive Josh Selby commentary today. Gotta hope that no fan who attends this game is inclined to disgrace himself with a boo. In the minds of potential recruits, Josh is still a high school wunderkind whose year at Kansas was an aberration on his already well established talents. I imagine that Josh is the type of guard whom Larry Brown might enjoy coaching. Brown was a proponent of Sherron at the time of his NBA tryouts.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

It will be interesting to see Brown and Selby, if it happens.

AZHawk72 3 years, 2 months ago

If I was going to pick one absentee to join the crowd, it would probably be Adonis Jordan. When we were down and out and struggling under the whole Vince Askew probation thing, one player took us through the mess and held his head high. Sure, he didn't make it to the NBA, but he did more for us than 75% of the attendees listed.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

Great recall.

Adonis lived up to his name for sure.

stm62 3 years, 2 months ago

Again, once a jayhawk always a jayhawk. Welcome back Josh !

kfcwar 3 years, 2 months ago

If I never get to see TJ Whatley come in for the last 2 minutes of a blowout again, I'm shaving my moustache!!!

kerbyd 3 years, 2 months ago

Not sure if it was mentioned above but don't forget how Wilt felt when he came back after all those years. He was really surprised at how he was welcomed back with open arms.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 2 months ago

Welcome back to Josh, and ANY other Jayhawk player from previous teams! The Kansas Jayhawks ARE Legendary and anyone who has worn the Crimson & Blue are part of this great team, no matter if they played every game, played some games, or mostly played on the practice teams! It's ridiculous that posters here would think that any Jayhawk is less than Legendary! Wow . . . I'm simply amazed at the history of this team!

Rock Chalk!

martyks 3 years, 2 months ago

but it IS named "Legends" and Josh is, by far, the biggest flop to ever play for the Jayhawks. I just don't see why anyone would want to see him on the court again. I could name 100 Jayhawks I would rather see. If you want to see Josh play, fine. Just don't blink. He may check out after the first minute and have his mom grab the P.A. mic to let us know he isn't coming back. He's not a legend. "Rock Chalk, I'm outta here"