Saturday, September 10, 2011

Darrell Arthur confirms appearance at alumni game

Kansas' Darrell Arthur greets thousands of fans during a parade for the National Champion Jayhawks on Sunday, April 13, 2008 in downtown Lawrence, Kan.

Former Kansas University basketball power forward Darrell Arthur has confirmed he will be playing in the Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition game at 4 p.m., Sept. 24, in Allen Fieldhouse.

A starter on KU’s 2008 national title team, Arthur has played three seasons with the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies.

Others to play: current NBA players Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (OKC), Xavier Henry (Memphis), Darnell Jackson (Sacramento), Marcus Morris (Houston), Markieff Morris (Phoenix), Paul Pierce (Boston), Brandon Rush (Indiana) and Julian Wright (Toronto).

Former KU players Nick Bradford, Eric Chenowith, Greg Ostertag, Scot Pollard, Ryan Robertson and Darnell Valentine have thus far said they would attend. Former KU coaches Larry Brown and Ted Owens will serve as coaches of the two teams.

Comments

Travis Clementsmith 9 years, 5 months ago

Sure would like to see Jacque Vaughn come back for the event, even if he doesn't play.

funkitect 9 years, 5 months ago

last i knew, jacque lives in lawrence, so it's kinda strange that he wouldn't be there...

about about kirk hinrich?

Alohahawk 9 years, 5 months ago

This word just in. The legendary Phog Allen will be attending the game as well. Of course, he's always been at every KU game, but you know he will be in attendance in the minds and hearts of every Jayhawk (players, coaches and fans) in attendance at this particular game.

With the original rules being held in trust by KU, wouldn't it be nice if, just before the game begins, the original rules could be held up (from center court and in a protective case) and displayed to the crowd?

Welcome home to all the Jayhawk players and coaches, past and present.

And, I'm so glad to hear that Max will be helping with the broadcast commentary.

Sure hope they make a DVD for sale to the public.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I heard K-State is trying to copy us and put together a "Legends" game of their own.

They're still trying to work out if they should play 3 on 2, or 5 on 0.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Meanwhile, in Missouri:

The Aantlers are working on a plan to call and harrass each of the players who will play in the "Legends" game, just for old times sake. Norm Stewart wants to be the one to call Larry Brown, though.

addlime 9 years, 5 months ago

More like mizzou is gonna have a legends of the federal penitentiary system game.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow - I'm glad I'm not at work today - I'm as close to Actually ROFLMAO as I've ever been. You guys crack me up.

Michael Pannacciulli 9 years, 5 months ago

Michael Beasly vs. Mitch Richmond, 1-1 game would be more appealing.

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 5 months ago

If it was them now Beasly would win, but he wouldn't stand a chance against 22 year old Richmond.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Post Script: I have only remarked on erectile dysfunction and erectile function, because the ad by HealthyLawrence.org with the cowboy with the limp cigarette acted as premise. I assumed that since the ad was allowed to run, and it was local, then limp and stiff cigarettes, and therapy for such, and commentary about ads about such, were considered consistent with the user agreement and so appropriate for discussion in this forum.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Post Post Script: Could we invite Donna Summers to the Legends Game and make her an honorary Jayhawk Diva?

And, as Sonny wrote amidst enchantment with Cher.

I got you babe...

AverageCitizen 9 years, 5 months ago

Here's the real test. Anyone see Ike and Tina Turner at the Red Dog Inn in Lawrence in the sixties? Great, great show and the Ikettes....................drool had to wiped off the edge of the stage after that performance!

Post Post Post Script:

I got you to hold my hand

I got you to understand...

Funhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate had never seen anything like them. When he turned on the TV to Shindig in 1965, there were Sonny and Cher. Jaybate now understood the new word "hippie." They were beautiful and they scared our parents. Cher was not a plastic skeleton, Sonny was not a politician. They were hippies. KU was soon to be labeled the Kansas school for hippies. Jaybate would never be the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_VKuivXAYs

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Funhawk had never seen anything like Nine Inch Nails. He began pounding carpet tacks through his lips and nailing himself to Trent. Nailed to Trent, Funhawk began reciting Nirvana lyrics by Kurt and dreaming of babies swimming in cloudy water, while in real life he began to look and dress more and more like the knob in the Verizon ads. He did not know it yet, but he had caught Gen N disease and had begun to suck the life from himself and to substitute iPod self loathing and Gameboy Passivity, while dealing with Introduction to Civil War in the wake of Jean Beaudrillard's very chic puppet play with signs. Funhawk began to believe that he was really living vicariously through Skynet 3.0 and JCam's wet dreams about Navi filtered through pirated Youtube clips. But Funhawk had a lot of fears about impotence. The idea of anyone associating impotence with someone other than Jewel, or Jennifer Anniston, or Arianna Huffington, or Lady Ga Ga's fake take on Madonna's fake take on Annette Funicello, well, it all made him seek out the word Ecstasy and take it like Neo injecting cheap Matrix pixels stolen from a swapped out William Gibson Mona Lisa Dual Clutch Overdrive that Dom in Fast and Spurious just could not relate to. Truth was: Funhawk had illicit dreams about MIBs and the shame drove him to excessive, contempo nerdiness that valued cell phone addiction above alley oops and music downloading to sex.

Get back to you keyboard and get better.

Next.

jaybate news service (JNS):

Dateline: Inside Darrell's Brain Case

Slug: Arthur to Attend Legends Game Because of Another Dream...

JNS nano stringers injected into the blood stream of a sleeping Darrell Arthur have confirmed that the smoothest big man ever to wear a KU uniform in fact made up his mind to attend the upcoming Legends of the Phog game in a recent dream.

Nano stringers report that after a circuitous journey through Arthur's arteries, veins, and a couple tight squeezes through capillaries, they reached the NBA forward's brain and navigated into the stored dreams portion of Arthur's memory and observed neural net burn patterns consistent with a dream that returning to play in the Legends game would be the right thing to do.

The same JNS nano stringers also report a nearby neural net burn pattern in Arthur consistent with his claim that he made up his mind to attend KU and play for Bill Self based on a dream.

Finally, JNS nano stringers confirm nearby neural net burn patterns for an NCAA ring and an NBA ring. The burn pattern for the NCAA ring was quite strong, and indicative of an event that has since been realized. The burn pattern for the NBA ring was reportedly less pronounced indicating a dream yet to be accomplished.

As Anais Ninn once wrote, "Proceed from the dream outward."

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate your act is very old. Please stop.

Hinrich is not attending and this has been reported and discussed at length. He has a baby due at that time. Also, Gooden's birthday is that day and he already had plans made.

Great to see Darrell coming back as he hasn't been back since he left. Quality young man.

KEITHMILES05,

Kiss my hard drive. :-)

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Post script for the keithster,

"Quality young man."

Do you have any inkling of how hopelessly vacuous and cliched and self satisfied that sounded?

Get nervous about something, anything, the state of your IRA, or the amount of shimmy in your front disk brakes of your SUV, something, anything.

At least fake sounding as if you have a pulse, keithster, I remember, once, you used to have one.

Life goes on, even when you are struggling a bit with your inner inertness.

Deal with it. :-)

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

"Bill Self and the Legends of the Phog Game"

This is the first Legends of the Phog game to be held (and maybe, but hopefully not, the last) and so there is an opportunity to set some memorable precedents.

I want to propose one.

The current head basketball coach has to play at least one minute in the game and so be "coached" by his predecessors in The Legacy.

This ritual would cement in ritual the coaching continuity and collegiality among the incredible men that have coached KU basketball down through the years.

Bill Self is a basketball player inside, despite being a coach on the outside.

Bill Self would love the chance to step on the floor with greats like Paul Pierce and so on.

Let Bill Self really feel what it is like to put on a KU jersey. It cannot help but help him get better as a coach.

And I vote for a KU jersey with a number that is permanently reserved for the rest of time for a coach to wear in the next Legends of the Phog game, if and when that ever occurs. I don't care what number it is. Let Self pick it. Maybe it would be his old number at Oklahoma State.

It would be such a great thing to see Bill Self go over into the huddle with the Legends of the Phog and be one of the guys being "coached" by a Larry, or a Ted, or whomever.

It would be a ritual that would be both funny and profound, touching and mythic. It would be all about the tradition and its connection to the present.

It would exemplify the best of KU basketball; that we are all essentially "on the KU team."

Any head coach of KU basketball most definitely becomes KU basketball during his tenure.

To ensure the Legends of the Phog game is truly mythic, we need to introduce one element of the present into the past that plays out before our eyes.

The head basketball coach of KU is the man for this job, no matter how old, or young, he may be at the time.

It is the head basketball coach that should step out onto the floor with the Legends of the Phog as our representative for all of us from the present. It is he who should sit on the bench for us.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

It is up to Ted, or Larry, whether Coach Self starts, or comes off the bench, but I believe it would symbolize something profound if he were to come off the bench. Anticipation would build among the fans about when Coach Self would be substituted in. There would be a huge ovation for him. It would not detract from the Legends playing, it would add to what is going on. It would inspire his own players he will coach in the coming season. It would be true.

KU Basketball is a living myth, as I have pointed out repeatedly.

Myth is full of paradoxes, of things that can't be happening but are.

This game is going to be one of them.

KU players who are no longer KU players will be playing once again in the Cradle of College Basketball that is now over a century old.

Former coaches who it seemed would never sit on the bench again are going to be sitting on the bench again.

Former players who it seemed would never create and defend and pick and roll and dunk and board on the sacred wood again are going to do all of these things again...at least once...and maybe more.

Max Falkenstein, who it seemed would never be the voice of the Jayhawks, will be that voice at least one more time.

This game is going to be the Brigadoon of Kansas basketball.

I hope there will be some former cheerleaders invited back, some April McClarens with sunflowers in their hair.

This is going to be a moment when the past and the present intersect in a timeless moment.

Maybe once.

Maybe more than once.

Set the precedent now, because there might not be another chance.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Show Coach Self how much he means to KU Basketball.

Let him step on the floor at least once in his life as a KU Basketball player.

In some ways, if you truly understand the living myth of Kansas basketball, it is the greatest honor, the greatest respect, and the greatest gift we could bestow on him.

It won't diminish his Oklahoma roots.

It won't lessen his debt to Hank and Eddie and his father.

It won't disrespect his time as an Oklahoma State Cowboy player.

It will only say, "Coach, you are one of us in the deepest possible way."

And in extending Bill Self that honor, we set the precedent of a means for paying future KU coaches the same honor.

And in connecting the present to the past, the seemingly impossible lightening strike of the Legends of the Phog game can come to ground forever.

Suit up, Coach. Suit up for you and for all of us.

Rock Chalk!

Post Script: My brother is fighting cancer, like a lot of other KU fans are. He loves KU basketball more than anything, except his wife and kids. Coach Self, my brother unexpectedly made it through last season, but no one knows if he can make it through another one. I never asked anything of KU basketball before, but I am asking now. Play in this game. Just for a minute. Wear a KU jersey in that game. Play for him. Play for all the KU people with cancer. Play for all of us helping them. Play a minute. Set the precedent. Don't say anything. You owe us nothing. Just play the game. For fun. One last time.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Pulling for your bro! I know we all give you a hard time, occasionally. But, sncere wishes for your family to make it through this time with strength.

And as for your request, maybe HCBS really is folicly challenged and knows that if he breaks out in a sweat, there could be problems of a slippage nature!

memhawk,

Thx regarding my bro's struggle. He is an amazing person and has from the time of my earliest memories been my hero.

There are several pieces of good luck you live can give you: good parents, a good woman, a real friend, deep pockets, and a good sibling. I got one of the best brothers ever minted, even though we tried to kill each other a few times fighting when we were growing up. He is just about everything I respect in a person. I wish he could live forever.

Next, regarding the forum, I always try to remember four things about how I am treated here, when I am doing the outlandish things I do here:

a) it is an honor to be read by the those that follow me here;

b) I get too much praise;

c) I have been deeply moved by some of the responses I have received, i.e., when some one says I expressed something important to them in words they could not find themselves; and

d) when I get done circling a board rat that's gotten way out of line, and finally bring out the knives, I usually cut deeper than they have.

I make a point of it in fact, because, well, my Dad taught me a rule that's always been good to me: Don't start fights, finish them.

And just between us girls, even then, i'm pulling my punches all...the...time, because we are all Jayhawks here.

Rock Chalk!

Steve Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm 5 yrs. survivor of the male cancer surgery, everyday a blessing. Peace to your bro.

On lighter note, I vote for the '69-70 cheerleader uniforms for this game. Plus bring back the retro red/blue dust mop walk/race at halftime. How about all the fans on the north half of AFH wear Blue and the south side wear and root for Crimson. Generate some in house rivalry. Has ESPN top ten plays film crew been invited?

yovoy 9 years, 5 months ago

da-dee-da-dee-da...

...and the beat goes on.

See? An on-topic pop ref in less than 50 (or 500) words.

12 of 20? Wow.

Here's on topic, yovoy.

yovoy interruptus. :-)

jaybate news service (JNS):

Dateline: The Inside of Inertness

Slug: The jaybate Interview with NotreallyFunhawk and keithinches05

jaybate: Thanks for sitting in, you two fatuous, self satisfied, but still Jayhawk loving aliases. Its good to have you in the virtual studio today in the way its good to have depressed persons sitting next to you on the subway. Let's start with NotreallyFunhawk. What's on your mind? What gets you up in the morning. You must be a real live wire, if your alias is NotreallyFunhawk. What geeks you?

NotreallyFunhawk: Playing The Sims. Its more fun than sex with an O-Ring, really. I also really like talking about the various finishes on paper clips. The textures of iPod ear plugs also holds my interest. I love the way the ways some of them feel when I roll them around between my finger tips.

jaybate: Ayeah. Well...how about you keithinches05? What really connects to your Blue Tooth?

keithinches05: Your act is tired. I like quality young men.

jaybate: keith, don't look now but one of the stars of Boa vs. Python is crawling up your pant leg.

keithinches05: Your act is tired. Cleanliness is next to godliness.

jaybate: keithster, have you heard the one about the sex fiend who was so dehydrated he had a dry dream?

keithinches05: Your act is tired. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

jaybate: keithster, forgive me, I've been trying to loosen you up a little. As the virtual host of a virtual interview that is completely synthetic, its something I feel I have to do to help fake guests connect with board rats in the logonasium of the mind that is KUSports.com.

keithinches05: Your act is tired. You win with defense.

jaybate: Well, that's one cliche of yours that I can agree with.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

keithinches05: Your act is tired. A tie is like kissing your sister.

jaybate: Have you always spoken in cliches.

keithinches05: Your act is tired. I suspect everyone and no one.

jaybate: Ha! I know that one. That's from one of the Pink Panther Movies, right?

keithinches05: Your act is tired. A stitch in time saves nine.

jaybate: keithster, you're sitting on a blasting cap.

(keithinches05 leaps out of his chair.)

jaybate; Gotcha!

(keithinches05 recomposes himself and sits down again.)

jaybate: You might like this web site link for cliches, keithster. Here it is:

keithinches05: Your act is tired. An eye for an eye.

jaybate: Till every man is blind?

(Cue Simon and Garfunkels "Sounds of Silence"...)

jaybate: Well,that's all for today. Let me thank my guests NotreallyFunhawk and keithinches05 for reminding us that it is better to live and laugh than be fatuous and self-satisfied about fatuousness. And let's sing along with Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel once more for old times sake.

"Hello darkness, my old friend, NotreallyFunhawk's come to talk with you again, Because a vision softly creeping, Left its seeds while keithster was sleeping, And the vision that was planted in my brain Still remains Within the sound of silence....

(Note: All fiction. No malice. Maybe some fun, but don't tell NotreallyFunhawk, or keithinches05.)

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

C'mon, yuze, guyz, loosens yourselves ups.

Touch the keys.

They don't bite.

(Note: that last cliche was for keithmiles05. He likes cliches.)

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't you have anything better to do than type stupid stuff here? That is not a cliche but the truth. You are known as the KUSports nerd.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Say, what age do you think you will be, when you stop worrying about what people think of you, and start worrying about what you can control--how you express yourself and what you are committed to and how hard you work at getting better at whatever you care about? 60? 70? 80? Or are you going the distance talking about shizz you know next to the inverse of a gigaflop about in phony cliches?

Don't you ever wonder why you don't persuade aliases...or the persons unfortunate enough to know you...ever?

Wake up.

Don't you know you're perceived as the KUSports fop?

No, wait, I admit, I don't have the magical thinking required to presume to know what this online community things about anything.

And aren't you old enough to stop worrying about what people think about you?

Aren't you?

No, wait!

Of course you aren't.

Because you live sealed in a zipped log bag of a psyche in which you can dispense really bad cliches and magical thinking without even being aware of it.

Hello?

Hello, in ther? Keety?

Keety?

Come out,come out, wherever you are?

Just scroll on by my thoughts.

Life is beautiful outside your zip lock bag.

Really.

Basketball season starts in hardly over a month.

The leaves will be turning soon.

The odds makers will be telling some of the talking heads who to hype and who not to. (just a joke, Keety.)

The Legacy continues.

Rock Chalk, Keety, Rock Chalk!

I know you can "turn this corner."

I know you can "move on."

I know you are a "quality person."

Hang in with me, Keety, we are on the same team, even if we don't want each other.

The living myth attracts all kinds.

It only asks that you love it, not me, or anyone else for that matter.

You can do it, Keety!

You can "come up big."

Man, I'm servin' up all the cliches I can for you, here.

I'm bending over backwards for ya Brother Keety.

Be ready for the start of ballin'.

Skip my posts.

Come up big,. or at least sort of.

We're gonna need everyone on the same bench this season, Keety.

We aren't as stacked as in the past.

The sharks of conference instability are circling the program.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, Keety.

Cliches and all. :-)

Think of all the paradoxes I have just writ.

They are put there to set you free.

keithmiles05,

Ooooooooh, scary, scary. Keety is rolling out the big "everyone thinks you are a joke" here. Typical of an intellectual fraidy cat, Keety. Got to resort to the "them," because you are not sure of yourself. I don't want you in the paint on my team, Keety. You would come up small.

And yes, I do have something better to do that waste my time with you, but sometimes in this forum thick-headed, unoriginal, and judgmental pea brains like yourself make it so aliases feel inhibited about speaking freely about their well reasoned thinking. I don't like small balled, quasi fascists like yourself telling me, or anyone else when they can, or can't talk, or what they should, or shouldn't say. So: Keety, I am wasting some time on you today.

To reiterate, I don't like aliases such as you lowering the standard of discourse here to the point that a grunting propagandist becomes equated to Joseph Heller, or David Foster Wallace. We've got to take some pride in what goes on here, even during conference instability.

And besides, my parents raised me to respond to persons trying to communicate with me, even rude ones that meant me ill. Its the decent thing, you know?

So: I'm going to do this two ways, so that you will grasp what I am about to say. I am going to do it the nice way first, so that if you get it, you won't have to read the rest; then for the exercise, I suppose, I am going to do it in a very dumb and rude way, as you might do it, were you capable of doing more than grunting for your dinner.

Think of it as a gift from me to you. :-)

Normally, I would just do it in the nice way, because, well, because most aliases are pretty nice here, and I like nice, and...because many of them, unlike you, know a lot more than I do about life and basketball.

To wit, you'll never read me responding this way to a knowledgeable alias that makes nice, or even an unknowledgeable alias that makes nice, or to a sub literate cretin that makes nice.

No, it takes someone of your remarkable obtuseness get me to do it both ways--short and nice, and long and rude.

Here's hoping you get one way, or the other. :-)

First, the nice way.

Please scroll past my posts and enjoy the other posts here that suit your fancy.

Now, the rude way that appears to be what you are more capable of grasping.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Haven't you flipping heard yet, Mr. Burnt Neurons? The nerds won! The nerds won! Na, na, na, na, na the nerds won! We're the richest. We get the best looking women. We wield the real power in the information age.

Just kidding, Keety.

I'm not really a nerd and anyone that really knew an estimable nerd would know I'm not.

I can only say that I would be honored to be nerd of anything, because the nerds have figured out most of the economic growth and productivity increases this country has produced for the last three decades, or are you still laboring with a Big Chief tablet and a thick wooden pencil to scrawl out your boorish cliches? :-)

Wow, not only are you a fatuous, cliche addled alias, you now claim supernatural powers of generalizing about what an online community thinks.

Bulletin for Keety: online communities are increasingly complex, some say even balkanized, organs of opinion and bottom up consensus building, or have you been too busy scratching you jock itch, you prejudiced anti-nerd?

Hey, you prejudiced anti-nerd laboring along with Big Chief tablet and supernatural powers, maybe you ought to get a job at a polling firm asking people how they keep their toilets clean.

No, wait, NSA needs you. They could dispense with the whole complicated total information awareness thing and just ask Keety, the prejudiced anti-nerd.

Please, pretty please, keety, pray tell, tell wittle jaybate what "the people" think about this or that evil doer, too.

Was George Bush a quality president?

Is Barack Obama a quality president?

Was Tark the Shark a quality coach?

Is Bill Self a quality coach?

Or be there just a weeeeeee bit more complexity to life than what your lame cliches can convey?

But, but, but wait!!!!!!

Keety wouid say pithy, insightful stuff like "no, no, he's "a quality human being," where as the person I am going to tell you about is "a non starter." :-)

Keety, do you have any idea what the guys at the car wash think of you when they overhear you talking about "quality human beings"?

Or the grocery store checkers?

Or the cabbies?

Or the the guys at the country club?

Or the sales persons in Nordstrom?

Or your life insurance agent?

Or any human being that actually receives mail on planet earth, rather than in "clicheville"?

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 5 months ago

Glad to see DA making it ..he has improved every year in the NBA.

jayhawk96 9 years, 5 months ago

Darnell Valentine! Awesome.
Those of you going better take some great pics. :D

jayhawk96 9 years, 5 months ago

Darnell Valentine! Awesome.
Those of you going better take some great pics. :D

BORG 9 years, 5 months ago

This game will be amazing. Seeing Self out there would be icing on the cake..

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Give em hell, jaybate; and best of good fortune to yer bro.