Originally published September 9, 2011 at 03:16p.m., updated September 9, 2011 at 03:40p.m.

UConn to play basketball game on aircraft carrier in San Diego; Kansas no longer believed to be a possible opponent

Three-time national champion Connecticut has signed a deal with the Morale Entertainment Foundation to play in the second edition of the Carrier Classic basketball game in 2012 aboard an aircraft carrier on San Diego Bay.

Coach Jim Calhoun and UConn President Susan Herbst say it's an honor to be picked for the game. Mike Whalen, director of the Morale Entertainment Foundation, says UConn's opponent could be Kansas, Texas, Florida, Arizona or Illinois.

KU officials, however, quickly tamped that rumor down and said the Jayhawks would not be participating.

The inaugural Carrier Classic will be played on Nov. 11 — Veterans Day — between North Carolina and Michigan State on the flight deck of the USS Carl Vinson at North Island Naval Air Station, across the bay from downtown San Diego.

It will be the first NCAA hoops game on an active flat top.

Comments

blindrabbit 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought the inaugural game was going to be played on the old carrier USS Midway (now a museum in San Diego); the Navy must have seen the P.R. potential in allowing the game on an active duty flattop. Being an "old Navy Hand" myself, sounds like fun!

texashawk10 5 years, 9 months ago

The Carl Vinson is also the ship that buried bin Laden at sea so I'm sure a lot of the game will be focused on that. I believe there is also a contingency play to move the game to the Enterprise I believe if the Carl Vison gets called into action.

Ryan Mullen 5 years, 9 months ago

Why would they move the game to the enterprise? I that set even around anymore? I guess they could play the game in the holadeck.

edmclinn 5 years, 9 months ago

Gotta play the wind and the waves! Who gets to jump overboard for the loose balls?

MDHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

If we played this game back when Jerod Haase was on the team, he'd be a goner.

Ben Kane 5 years, 9 months ago

if this is in san diego there is a chance this could take place on my old ship the lincoln, wish they would've done this when i was onboard.

texashawk10 5 years, 9 months ago

Have KU and UConn ever played each other before because I don't remember any matchups between those two off the top of my head. If they haven't, I would love to see that match-up for the reason that it's a match-up we've never seen before. Also it would be pretty awesome to see KU play on Naval ship in front of a crowd full of troops.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

We played UCONN in Kansas City on 1-28-95, an 88-59 win, and we played them on 1-19-97 in Hartford, a 73-65 win. I remembered we played them only because I was still a student at that time. I had to consult the good 'ol media guide for the specifics, though.

frompekka2sasha 5 years, 9 months ago

Not only that but UConn was #1 and we blitzed them right out of the gate. It was called the "Powerbar Classic" and they gave away one of their nasty candy bars upon entry to Kemper Arena. I still remember my strange looking ticket stub for that game because it's high-gloss color but no white background like many tickets.

delay 5 years, 9 months ago

Jim Marchiony says KU definitely not playing in that air craft carrier game.

Michael Maris 5 years, 9 months ago

So, the Federal Government is now capitalizing on NCAA TV Revenue and allowing Aircraft Carriers to be used to play Basketball Games on.

Now we know how Obama is proposing to raise money to compensate for his wasteful spending ventures.

lv_jhwk 5 years, 9 months ago

Or maybe this is a Republican ruse to validate the need for the current exorbitant levels of defense spending?

Either way, its better to leave politics where it belongs...far, far away from this message board.

waywardJay 5 years, 9 months ago

Amen to that. The less I know about what party you support the more Comfortable I feel in knowing your a board rat moron :)

Jordan Smith 5 years, 9 months ago

I'd also like for politics to stay far, far away from my sports viewing in general. So if Obama could stop showing up for all star games and college basketball games and filling out his bracket on ESPN, that would be great...

Ryan Mullen 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes because we all know that Obama does not want to keep up with China as far as our National Defense is concerned. What he really wants is for us to build that fastest train. Maybe we could build a train to China so that our citizens could still live in the U.S but could work in China and be back in time for dinner.

UmbertoConforti 5 years, 9 months ago

You're on the right track on the wrong board. Leave this to basketball.

UmbertoConforti 5 years, 9 months ago

You're on the right track on the wrong board. Leave this to basketball.

fabian_zimbabwe 5 years, 9 months ago

Well so much for that. I got excited there for a moment...would have added a visit to Kansas City BBQ to see Jerry the surly bartender, too. Dang!

Jeff Coffman 5 years, 9 months ago

I've never been tamped before...can someone help explain that one to me?

FlintHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

It's a rather mild form of being cut off at the knees.

optimist 5 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean that Kansas won't participate or they haven't been invited? Would Kansas participate if invited?

FlintHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Good question. It sounds as if either he knows we won't be invited or that we will not participate if asked. If the latter, I hope his statement is like those "not running for office" declarations.

Marcus Balzer 5 years, 9 months ago

If I recall when we played them in 97 we got blitzed in the first half and made a huge comeback in the second half w/ Billy Thomas hitting a couple three's to fuel a run. I also wanna say that was one of the first 'big' games we played without JV and had RR running the point.

ahpersecoachingexperience 5 years, 9 months ago

Why play them in sd when they will be a conference opponent by then.

CaramelMacchMan 5 years, 9 months ago

Dear KU officials, Why!!! I would jump all over this.

jhwkfanincali 5 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else see the irony in Calhoun (UCONN) signing a deal with a business named Morale? Perhaps they will play against Calimari (Kensucky)

jaybate 5 years, 9 months ago

Now what would be really impressive would be for them to hold the game on the deck of a nuclear sub...submerged. :-)