Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Young gun: Merv Lindsay billed as ‘pure shooter’

Kansas University freshman forward Merv Lindsay.

Kansas University freshman forward Merv Lindsay.

Lefty Merv Lindsay is developing a reputation as somebody who can stretch the defense.

“He can really shoot the ball. He is a pure shooter, and he’s 6-foot-7, 6-8,” marveled former Kansas University forward/first-round NBA draft pick Marcus Morris, who has guarded Lindsay, a 6-7, 210-pound freshman, in pick-up games since the Moreno, Calif., native signed a financial-aid agreement with KU on June 22.

“He’s going to be good. He’s going to be great,” Morris added of Lindsay, who averaged 15.0 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists his senior season at Canyon Springs High School.

Lindsay — who chose KU over Marquette in recruiting after decommitting from Texas Tech in April — admits he isn’t shy about firing away.

“I think that’s why they recruited me ... so I can hit shots,” Lindsay said.

Acknowledging that he “can shoot out to NBA range,” Lindsay said his long-range bombing has improved in recent years.

“I developed it. It takes a lot of work,” he said. “Being left-handed ... a lot of people have said to me, ‘Oh yeah, left-handed people can always shoot. They are good hitters in baseball, too.’ I played baseball. I was a good hitter and a good shooter.

“It took work, though,” added Lindsay, who now is concentrating on his ball-handling and defense.

He’s learning a lot through the grind of daily pick-up basketball.

“It’s an adjustment ... just how hard they play in college,” Lindsay said. “It’s a lot of in-depth detail what they do here. I remember the first day of individuals (workouts). I’m still trying to learn all the footwork. Going against them (KU returnees) physically ... they are so strong. That’s why I’ve been really reaching out to (strength coach Andrea) Hudy. We’ve been working out and trying to build my upper body so I can hang with these guys.

“If you are banging with T-Rob, you are going to feel like you’ve got no muscle,” Lindsay said of 6-9, 237-pound junior Thomas Robinson.

Lindsay said he reported for second session of summer school at 193 pounds. He now weighs 210 and wants to be 220 by opening day.

His weight-gaining success secret?

“Lifting and drinking protein (shakes) and, obviously, eating,” Lindsay said.

Playing at this current weight apparently hasn’t affected his touch on deep jumpers.

“He’s a great shooter, one of the best shooters on the team,” said Lindsay’s teammate/roommate Kevin Young, a 6-8 forward out of Perris, Calif., who played AAU basketball with Lindsay for Inland Empire out of California.

“It can be quicker,” Young added of Lindsay’s release. “As he plays more, he’ll understand how much quicker it has to be. It’s a good jumper.

“He’s been working on his ball-handling a lot. He’s learned how to put the ball on the floor more now. He’s a catch-and-shoot player who will go get a couple of rebounds here and there. He can guard a little bit. He has to get better at it, but everybody has to get better as each day passes.”

Lindsay has fit in well at KU.

“I’d say the only downfall for me for Kansas right now is the weather. I am used to the ‘Cali breeze,’ but I’ll get used to it,” said Lindsay, happy to see a long stretch of upper 90s, low 100 degree temperature days finally dip into the 80s.

After the second session of summer school concluded, he headed to the West Coast for a short break and some heat relief.

“I went home a week. I couldn’t wait to get back. I could not wait,” exclaimed the easy-going Lindsay, downright giddy about being a Jayhawk.

“Everybody is so close here. Here everybody is one big family. Everybody has determination. Talking to Tyshawn (Taylor, senior guard) ... he is saying how people are doubting us. We are going to do everything to win the Big 12 again and make a push (in NCAA Tournament). That’s what we are working for.”

Merv said his main motivation is to make his 22-year-old sister, Ashley, proud. Ashley played basketball at the University of Albany, but her career was cut short.

“She was good. She lost her touch a little bit riddled by injury,” Merv said, noting “she had hairline fractures in her leg, surgery on her ankle. That shut her back a bit. She didn’t play her fourth year due to injury. She graduated from there, though.

“That’s who I mostly play for now. I play for my sister. I feel she had a chance to make it, but the injuries ... now that she didn’t make it I feel I owe it to her to make it.”

That’s in the classroom as well as on the court.

Merv Lindsay had a perfect 4.0 grade-point average in high school.

“My parents always said, ‘If you don’t have the grades, you are not playing.’ So I think that just carried over into high school, and now it’s carrying over into college,” Lindsay said. “I enjoy going to class and enjoy playing basketball.”

He has enjoyed bonding with his new teammates.

Who has impressed him the most?

“Oh, Tyshawn, T-Rob, but I would say I love playing with Naadir Tharpe. He is so smart. I’d say he’s one of the smartest players on the team even coming in being a freshman,” Lindsay said of the point guard. “Just the way he passes. He sees stuff that nobody else can see. Every time he makes it, everybody is like, ‘Wow.’ He is good. I think he’s going to be a surprise.”

Three freshmen — Braeden Anderson, Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor — have not yet reported to campus as they await word on their eligibility from the NCAA Clearinghouse, which figures to come soon since school is opening its third week today.

“I can’t wait for them to get back. Those are my boys,” Lindsay said. “I talk to them every day. It will be great to see them again.”

Comments

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I was going to say something stupid, like how much I enjoyed reading about this young man, but I guess I'm supposed to say something about the NCAA. Boo, Hiss NCAA.

OK, now anybody that says things like this is well on their way to being near and dear to my heart:

This don't hurt either:

Merv Lindsay had a perfect 4.0 grade-point average in high school.

Welcome aboard Merv! I'm stoked just reading this article!

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

Although the third week is really slow.

I would point out the student that went to 1 high school and has a 4.0 has been cleared; whereas, the three that went to three high schools and GPAs not disclosed are taking extra time.

Again I do think it is ridiculous to take three weeks into the school year, but after the D. Rose fiasco, they take it even that much more serious. Although I think DR had been cleared 3 times.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

The problem is, the D Rose Fiasco was pretty much right upfront. There was a Questionable SAT, Calipari Played him anyway, and it turned out the SAT wasn't questionable, it was flat out bogus. If they think the knee jerk reaction makes up for the fact they flat out haven't done their jobs in the past, then hire some more people. Last I was informed, they have 6 people working in the department that ACTUALLY gather this information, and get these kids cleared for College Basketball..... 6 people to 300+ Division one Basketball teams...... That's not enough.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes I knew nothing about this kid prior. Sounds like a tremendous addition to our U. he's throwing on weight too. I know this is a feel good story...but hey, I feel good and am ready to see the young guns cut their teeth provided the waste of an organization (NCAA clearinghouse) can allow our students to enroll!!!!

Glad to have ya Merv!

Mike Kendall 8 years, 5 months ago

If Marcus Morris says the kid is going to be great, then, I believe him. Can't wait to see Merv in action.

BTW, interesting article in the Wichita Eagle this morning on Perry Ellis, written by the man that covers Wichita State University sports. A really good read.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 5 months ago

Well??.....don't leave us hanging here!!

justinryman 8 years, 5 months ago

Did anyone see Selby's 360 alley opp dunk in a summer rec game last week?

Impressive

Travis Avery 8 years, 5 months ago

That was sick! Makes me that much more frustrated with how he played at KU. Maybe that injury really did take away all of his explosiveness.

lee3022 8 years, 5 months ago

It would appear that Perry has been and remains KU's highest priority. Danny Manning has seen nearly every one of his games and coach Self has gone repeatedly. If coach thinks he fits he will find a way to play him.

The new offense will feature multiple 6-7 and 6-8 players who shoot, rebound, run and finish. At a very fast pace they needs lots of rest and depth on the bench. No mid-major can substitute as KU can and I think this will help solve the upset pattern from those teams. Perry is exactly what we need to run this sort of system. He is not coming to ride the pine. He will get plenty of opportunity. However, if he wants to be featured and be one-and-done, he will need to be far superior to the others. That might be the primary determinant.

Of course if big K comes. the offense for 2012 will change again.

justinryman 8 years, 5 months ago

A shooter that isn't afraid to shoot. I like that. Hopefully his teammates and coaches don't take that ability away from him. It will be nice to see an inside outside game with Trob.

And this kid is not only saying the right things, but he backs them up. Gotta love it.

John Thomas 8 years, 5 months ago

All sounds good but notice no one ever says anything about Jeff Withey.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 5 months ago

Jeff caught a bit of mono this summer and has lost 25 pounds. He also badly jammed his right hand, so he is learning to shoot left-hand It was discovered that he also has asthma and must limit running full speed. He is now wearing special bball shoes to reduce the chance of stress fractures.

dragonhawk...careful what you wish for :)

Posted with no malice or truthfulness...sometimes no news is good news!!

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

Had you going? He had me crying!

Don't do these things Oak. I only have so many good years left and you are taking them from me.

Alex Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Naadir keeps getting praise from everyone too. I'm thinking we another 4 year KU great right there.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

either the spin machine is out in full force trying to negate Bill's worst. recruting. ever. Or the naysayers who don't know mean a thing.... have stopped their perpetual cold front and have a slightly sunnier outlook. Either way, everything is calm and looking bright, let's hope this is no Beautiful Disaster.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

Okay..I don't get why these kids — Braeden Anderson, Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor — cannot attend class while the NCAA does its thing. How is putting them behind their classmates by several weeks going to help them? Worst case scenario would be that three kids received one free semester of a quality education. Also, good observation waywardJay. I'm starting to think we have 3-5 incoming freshmen who will make lasting contributions to the program. I still think there will be a couple of busts who transfer out but that is a common event.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

Can't they audit the classes for free to keep up and then be in the swing of it when the okay comes?

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

Was thinking they could at least audit the classes but then you have living expenses, books and on and on.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe, but imho, look for EJ to fill that role. I like the kid also. I hope either Lindsay or Young can make major contributions out on the wing.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

Good Read: Big East looking for 12 teams in football Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_thinking_big_ou8JdQKJUhWEeCUtGv7dNP#ixzz1XCQYm7Ex

Football would split along geographical lines with Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Cincinnati, Louisville and TCU in the West Division, and UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, South Florida and West Virginia in the East.

I know it's getting down to every school for themselves but would hate to see ISU get the shaft.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

If the Big East is open to this, KU, KSU, UM, Nati, Ville and TCU should jump.

This ends KU's basketball woes instantly and ensures Self lands a great class for next season.

Do it now, CBernie. You've got the power.

With an eastern time zone footprint, who needs flipping Texas and OU anyway?

Let them play each other 9 times a season.

Better yet, let them play with themselves 9 times a season. :-)

brooksmd 8 years, 5 months ago

jaybate -- "Better yet, let them play with themselves 9 times a season."

+10

DCLawHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

100% agreed jaybate. KU is a basketball-first school. The Big East is a basketball-first conference. I love the idea of playing Louisville, Syracuse, Georgetown, and UConn on a regular basis in basketball too. At the same time, however, KU football would actually bring something the Big East Conference needs. All of the other options would treat KU football as an afterthought.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

Yup. And once KU is in the Big East and crucial to selling soap from Schenectady to Savannah, then Dick Vitale and ESPN will be our supplicant lovers, just as they already are for Duke and UNC.

I can hardly wait for Dick Vitale to have to start sucking up to Bill Self!

That's broadcasting babeeeeeeeeeey!

Ray March 8 years, 5 months ago

He's a freshman?! Wow! This kid looks like he's 10 years old.

Alohahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I could care less how old he looks. If he can shoot lights out, and is of legal age as directed by the NCAA, I'll take him. Btw, I remember a few years back when Greg Oden attended college. He looked like he was 35 years old. (And I wonder now if he really was a teenager. What with his injury record in the NBA, he just seems like he's already "over-the-hill".)

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

"Some Signs Merv Has Range"

~NORAD tracks his J's.

~KCI Flight controllers keep logging in his jump shots as outbound flights to Denver.

~SETTI dishes keep false alarming "intelligent life found off planet" after Merv shoots.

~Rumors keep swirling that Merv is a Raytheon experiment.

~The Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena claims one of Merv's high arching J's caused an unforecasted eclipse.

~After standard nets kept catching fire at the practice facility, Self recently ordered some made from Nomex.

~Coaching staff suffering rising body fat from too many smores roasted on burning nets after Merv's practice shooting.

~NASA recently started a web page dedicated to apogee and perigee measurements of Merv's J's.

~Self reputedly quit using "shoots it from down town" and now says, "shoots if from down galaxy."

~Various environmental organizations starting to blame Merv's J's for global warming.

~A commercial airline pilot claims to have seen a basketball 35,000 feet over Lawrence, KS.

(Note: All fiction. Malice free.)

Kris Nelson 8 years, 5 months ago

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

If his trey were as smooth as his face, then we would be gold.

Frankly, I kind of like the baby face. KU has had enough old "looking" guys for awhile.

Merv's nickname: Baby Faced Tri-sassin.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

We need Merv to play some baseball next spring.

If the guy could hit a lick at 185, he should jerks some ropes at 6'7" and 220!

Quick, someone order pizzas delivered to the bull pen; that was one of my favorite splurges back in the day.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah...30 min or less! Those days are long gone. And Minsky's Pizza..is that still around? Green olive and anchovies.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

“I think that’s why they recruited me ... so I can hit shots.” --Merv

Right stuff.

Cecil Connor 8 years, 5 months ago

Merv thinks Lawrence is too hot? Average summer temperatures in the desert city of Moreno Valley, CA are in the mid to high 90's with many days above 100F. I hope he heats it up in AFH the next four years, though.

jaybate 8 years, 5 months ago

Eh...nor sayin' MV is Malibu, or anything, but...

Moreno Valley's humidity won't soak a sponge, quite the same way Kansas can at times.

I believe that's the difference.

On the other hand, MV often lacks fresh air, autumn color, and superior looking women.

Life is full of trade offs.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 5 months ago

I love the 'Its the humidity' answer and having spent some time in Tuscon, I believe its true. Still..100 degrees is HOT.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Good read. Sounds like a good kid.

Can't wait to see Naadir play. He is getting the props by almost everybody that has seen him or played with him.