Friday, September 2, 2011

Tait

KU to a bowl game? It’s possible

Last month, ESPN.com’s Brad Edwards revealed that he picked Kansas University’s football team to play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl this December.

What?

You heard correctly. Now, let’s see if we can figure out why.

It’s been well documented that people expect three or four wins to be the ceiling for this year’s team. Naturally, the Jayhawks themselves believe it’s higher.

Remember, coach Turner Gill says his goal is to win every game. He means it. And he doesn’t care if it says Oklahoma or McNeese State on the opponent’s helmet.

The players also think winning is possible this year. Many have targeted six wins and bowl-eligibility as an attainable goal. Believe. It’s not just a slogan any longer.

KU’s facing a tough schedule, and, no matter how talented or confident the Jayhawks may be, they’re incredibly young. It’s one thing to think you can hang with Texas, OU and Oklahoma State. It’s another to go out and do it.

I’m not saying they will, and I’m not saying they won’t. What I am saying is I can see why they think it’s possible. Here’s how it could happen.

It sets up like this: In the opener, the Jayhawks welcome an FCS team to town for the second straight season. With the haunting memories of last year’s embarrassing loss to North Dakota State still fresh in the Jayhawks’ minds, you can bet McNeese State will have KU’s full attention. KU won’t win 50-7, but it won’t lose 6-3 either. The way I see it, the schedule sets up for the Jayhawks to pick up a feel-good win right out of the gate.

Next up, a tough Northern Illinois team comes to town. The Huskies had a great 2010 and return a lot of talent. But they’re also going to battle with a new head coach — former KU assistant Dave Doeren — and we’ve all seen how tough that transition can be on a team. KU might not be favored in that one, but it can win. Just like that, the Jayhawks are 2-0 and heading into a road game against Georgia Tech, whom they beat a season ago.

KU’s better than last year. Georgia Tech’s a little worse. Winning will be tough with GT having the revenge factor and home-field advantage, but you have to at least see that the Jayhawks will go down to Atlanta believing they can win — especially if they’re sitting at 2-0.

Remember, you’re thinking like a Jayhawk here, one of the guys who actually suits up on Saturdays. Imagine, if they walk away from their nonconference schedule 3-0 and head into their bye week on Cloud 9. That would do wonders for the rest of their season and would give them a real shot in their Big 12 opener against Texas Tech after the bye week. From there, six wins are at least possible.

As for my prediction, I’m going with 4-8. I think KU wins its first two games and goes on to beat two of the following four teams — Georgia Tech (Week 3), Texas Tech (Week 5), Kansas State (Week 8) and Iowa State (Week 10).

We’ll find out soon enough, but the first step in the process kicks off at 6 p.m. Saturday against McNeese State.

Comments

Don Everett 3 years, 2 months ago

Blah, blah, blah, blah, ahole is an idiot.

Cmill1221 3 years, 2 months ago

Bahahahahaha!!! Come on you got to give him that one.

Chayse Patrick 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey aherpes nice post you J@ck@ss!!!! you still suck

TwistedFish31 3 years, 2 months ago

My guess is that ahersahole's mommy doesn't know he's staying up that late playing world of warcraft with his loser friends in his mizzou tiger underoos. Total loser.

Dan Harris 3 years, 2 months ago

Why don't you just come out of the closet little kitty, Your obvious disdain for KU is really getting old!

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

I'll be coming into town as the game is going on. Can anyone tell me the best radio station to listen to the game as I'm driving in from Kansas City? As I recall, 1320 AM will have the game in Lawrence, but I doubt I'd be able to get that station at the Kansas City airport.

Thanks.

Taylor Mermis 3 years, 2 months ago

Usually the Kansas City station is 610 AM, but I think the Royals will be on at the same time, so they will be on 980 AM or 98.1 FM.

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

If we get the first three....

Texas Tech, Iowa State, K-State, Baylor and Mizzou could be wins.

Most of this goes to how well we can run the football.... and how well we hold up against the run....

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

If you saw Baylor play last night you can pencil them out of this list. They beat TCU 50 to 48 or something like that. They looked unstoppable.

blindrabbit 3 years, 2 months ago

When you wish upon a star; doubtful your dreams come true!

MDHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Says those who have given up hope and rarely succeed...where most people fail is following that wish with the hard work it requires to realize your dreams.

This seems like a hard-working bunch of players and coaches, so there's no shame in being hopeful. We certainly may not be the best, but I wish them well all the same.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

Health will be one of the key factors.

I've always said the difference between a lot of the schools that are considered elite (e.g. OU, UT, Bama, etc), is that if someone gets hurts, they have 3 guys lining up to take that position.

With KU, we might have a little bit more depth than last year, but the key will be to stay healthy. If we are healthy than our chances significantly increase.

Also, I think we need a dramatic increase in our QB play.

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

I watched part of that game. Western Carolina looked lost. Also I believe they were running a 43 defense and just could not contain the edges. I don't expect that to be a problem with our linebackers patrolling.

They are good though. Maybe as good as last year. Even though their Heisman hyped QB is gone, the current QB was putting up identical numbers when he stood in last year.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Not according to Turner Gill. He's already penciled in wins against KSU and MU and sounds like Ron Prince with all of his talk about winning championships. It is one thing to have some confidence but coaches shouldn't project an image of stupidity. Look where that got Prince.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Don't really know that I would call Prince " stupid ". How many million did he walk away from there with ?

Joe Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

You're an idiot dude. It's powered by crystals.

vd 3 years, 2 months ago

That has to be included in every article, because some fans on this board, believe Gill doesn't want to win every game. They would have more confidence if he cussed, put names on the uniforms, allowed the team to have cell phones and stay up till 3 a.m. the night before a game, had been fired from a SEC school, or would torutre his players.

HawkDigestCom 3 years, 2 months ago

Just win the home games and we should be fine. OU might be tough, so we should probably think about stealing one on the road.

newjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

OU might be tough?..... No my friend they ARE tough !

rob4lb 3 years, 2 months ago

I still think the ESPN prediction was meant for K-State not KU.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Sorry rob but have you been hiding under a rock the past couple of years?

Jason Montgomery 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree no respectful analyst would put KU in a bowl game and leave K-State out this year. Its a good article written about a misprint though.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a joke right? Hahahahahahahahah! KU better hope the Big 12 disbands and has a chance to move to the Big East. Then the FB team might have a chance to win 4 games each year.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 2 months ago

Somewhere there is a website seeking to expand their ignorance. Grace them with your wit.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm guessing you can provide a lengthy list.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't need to troll other schools websites. I'm a Kansas Jayhawk.

goblue8 3 years, 2 months ago

Looking at their schedule, I will say 3-9 this year.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

I think when they got rid of Mangino they got rid of the ability to line up and run a spread offense and put up alot of points. The handoff's up the middle wont win very many games. When its 3rd and 15 and we run a handoff for no gain, thats not playing to win, im sorry. Until we learn how to spread the field and run a high powered offense we wont beat anybody. The only thing all the running plays did last year is slow the game down and put the fans to sleep. The only thing its going to do as far as winning goes is nothing, and will eventually run Turner out of town.

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

I guess you didn't see Wisconsin last night.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

How'd that offense work for Mangino his last year here? ...and that was with Reesing, Meier, and Briscoe.

kittyhawker 3 years, 2 months ago

I see Group-on.com is discounting KU football tickets 63%. What's up with that?

David Atchley 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree..that doesn't seem to be enough of a discount to motivate people to purchase.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Except that we're NOT Nebraska and this ISN'T the 1990s ...

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

What does the 1990s have to do with it? Are you saying nobody can run the ball anymore?

waywardJay 3 years, 2 months ago

MInd you we averaged 4 a carry last year with literally no passing offense...... against 8-10 men in the box......

Intelligence is pure.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 2 months ago

Somebody didn't pass 6th grade English......

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 2 months ago

The spread died bro. Watch college football or big12,the past 2 years? Defenses shut down the spread in 08... Ohhhh I wish mangino was here still?? That's clown material. Get a clue, get your head out yourself. Ur clueless.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

Anybody that has brains knows that Mangino did more for KU football while he was here than anybody else had in the last 20 years. Lets see Orange Bowl win against a pretty good VT team, beating Mizzou on the final play of the game at arrowhead. Also beating Nebraska which is something that had not happened since 1968. And beating Kstate also a few times. Not bad for a non-footbal school to accomplish a few things in a short time. Well we will see if Turner can take the young team and develop them. All I got to say is take note of this freshman RB Darrian Miller, he was getting 5-10 yrds a carry in the first scrimmage I watched before anybody was even getting a hand on him. And a few long runs as well. Probably the only thing I remember that made me say , we could have something here. Watch out Sims, this kid could have your spot sooner than later. If Gill plays freshman that deserve to play than it doesnt bother me as they could be better than the upperclassman. He will have to decide relatively quick if he is playing for now or playing for the future. He does appear to have several freshman that could see alot of playing time. Hope he utilizes the talent that he has to the fullest.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe if he hadn't been such a jackass and didn't alienate every person he came into contact with, people would have fonder memories of him. Completely aside from how he treated his players, which was bad enough, abusing his support staff was not a way to be fondly thought of. As far as his coaching, yes, he had one great season and some good ones. He also mismanaged games at the end as badly as I've ever seen and made one poor decision after another, that often had me screaming at the TV set, "What the f*** are you doing?!?!?"

Good riddance, and I'm sick of constantly seeing people defend the bastard and not give TG a fair chance to see what he can do.

rastameta 3 years, 2 months ago

I am with you actorman. He wasn't as great as some revisionists would like to make him out to be. Sick of his name even being brought up. It serves no purpose.

jay381 3 years, 2 months ago

greenworld: I lived in OKC for a number of years. This was written by one of the long time writers for The Daily Oklahoma I got to know while living there. I though you might enjoy. I agree with his last comment. I also did not realize until I read his column he was the only KU football coach since 1953 to leave with a winning record. I know some on this site do not like the guy. He sure is still loved in Norman for his work (and his offense that assisted in winning a national championship) while at OU. I know for the good of all programs Gill needs to win some games and at least make the program respectable for conference opportunities this year. Lets all hope he has a good year.

OU football: Mark Mangino visits the Sooners

on August 30, 2011M at 4:14 pm

I ran into Mark Mangino on Tuesday in the OU parking lot. He’s in town all week, visiting the Sooner practices and staying for the Tulsa game.

Mangino, in his second year out of coaching, still lives in Naples, Fla., but tries to stay involved in football. Last week, he was in Kansas, where his son, Tommy, coaches quarterbacks at Hutchinson Community College. After a visit to Jenks, where his daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren live, Mangino came on down to Norman.

Mangino coached just three years at OU but they were memorable. He was the offensive coordinator on the 2000 national championship team. Mangino still has thick ties with Bob Stoops; still refers to the Sooners with a “we.”

Mangino coached eight years at Kansas, then was forced out, allegedly for mistreatment of players. Some ex-Jayhawks blasted Mangino’s treatment of them, but others came to his defense.

This we know. Mangino was a heck of a football coach. He went 50-48 in eight years at KU, including a 12-1 season in 2007, with an Orange Bowl victory over Virginia Tech. That’s a fabulous record at Kansas. Jules Sikes went 35-25 in six years at KU, 1948-53. No Jayhawk coach since, other than Mangino, left with a winning record. Not Jack Mitchell. Not Pepper Rodgers. Not Dan Fambrough. Not Glen Mason.

Turner Gill went 3-9 in his first Jayhawk season and already seems on the hot seat. Kansas football went from the Orange Bowl to irrelevancy very quickly. Even Mangino’s final two years were solid by KU standards; 8-5 in 2008, with an Insight Bowl victory over Minnesota, and 5-7 in 2009, after a 5-0 start.

I don’t know if Mangino will get another head coaching job. But he’s a heck of a coach.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Kansas won't win more than two games ... there's no way in HELL that they're going to a bowl game.

Thanks Coach Mangino for some great memories.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I honestly think PETA had something to do with Mangino's departure. I know they were NOT happy about the 8 cows that gave their lives to make his letterman's jacket.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 2 months ago

Last year I was ridiculed for picking the same number of victories as Keegs. This year, 4 wins and a much better product will be put on the field each weekend. Both QBs have a year under their belt which is huge. Better talent was brought in this year and they will contribute as the season progresses.

In addition, the track will look lovely as ever.

David Atchley 3 years, 2 months ago

Turner Gill is a "punch line" in all the other Big 12 markets.....the most kind comment I have heard came from an unbiased reporter from the Big 12 Coaches Conference when he said "compared to all the other coaches in attendance, Gill seemed to struggle to have a clue."

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree, I doubt that Gill gets things turned around. Upside down maybe, but not around.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Atl - I think I could have written your post word for word, except I would have exchanged " closet " for " woodwork ".

Michael Leiker 3 years, 2 months ago

You can't seriously think it's nervousness that's bringing "Gill-Haters" out of the woodwork. Can you really not see a logical possibility that us "Gill-Haters" are right?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

"Gill Haters" need to hold on to their little pink panties for 3 or 4 more years, then we'll know who's right.

fromthatstandpoint 3 years, 2 months ago

AND 2007 was the EXCEPTION. Not the Rule. Average 3-5 in conference. Winning record against Iowa State only in the conference.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 2 months ago

Coaches conferences are so vital. Who cares about coaches conferences, Gill can recruit. It's about Jimmies and Joes not X's and O's. Mangino left it bare, and he lost 7 straight on his way out. Give coach Gill some time he is a quality man.

Robert Brock 3 years, 2 months ago

I think KU will struggle to get beyond a couple of wins this season. Next year should be better...although, right now, I am not certain of our conference afilliation.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey, if you haven't gotten your FB tickets yet you can buy them on Groupon for 60% off. What does this say about confidence in this team? http://www.groupon.com/kansas-city/?post_subscribe=true

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 2 months ago

You are not a Jayhawk though you spend your life making negative posts on this website. Thanks for acknowledging the relevance of KU athletics.

kycamp0 3 years, 2 months ago

@ sevenyearhawk

Yeah thanks again Coach Mangino for the great memories, especially that 0-7 end to the 09-10 season when we had one of the best senior classes and some of the best overall talent we've had here in quite some time. That season still stings because I was so excited to see the seniors have another big year but alas, that season is long gone. I for one will remain cautiously optimistic about this season: "under promise and overproduce." I expect to get to 3 or 4 wins but getting to 6 and becoming bowl elidgible would be amazing for Turner Gill's 2nd year.

David Atchley 3 years, 2 months ago

Is this the same fan base that feels entitled to belong to the PAC 12, or the Big 10, that has to heavily discount their tickets just to get their "fans" to attempt to fill up the stadium? Hmmmmm....now that's a reality check. "If you want to be the best, recruit the best, beat the best, you have to hire the best!"

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 2 months ago

Name one coach that would have taken the KU job that could out recruit Gill to this point. Turner has Sir Charles on his side and that is free advertising. I know you thought Mangino was sexy in that wind breaker in August with his rosacea flaring up.

MDHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I know there is no sense in responding to a troll's post, but I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that KU fans feel entitled to anything regarding conference realignment. We're just like any other school in the former Big XII north who hopes the assets we have are good enough selling points if the conference dissolves. We have nice facilities, a good basketball tradition, respectable academics. It was MU that went courting the Big 10 and was rejected, and KSU and ISU are terrified they won't be included at all.

We discount football tickets because we are a basketball school, and our football tradition, albeit not without some high points, isn't our bread and butter. Following the outcome of last season, I don't think anyone considers discount ticket prices a "reality check"...just an unfortunate sign that many fans aren't excited for the season, probably due to predictions that we won't do well. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but perhaps you could find a better use for your time. There isn't anything particularly shocking about the tickets being discounted.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

It wasn't all that long ago when you could procure K-State season tickets by purchasing $5 worth of gas at any gas station in Riley or Pottawatomie county.

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

How can anyone comment on this years team without seeing them play a game?

I will read all criticism if they lose or play badly Saturday, but til then, WOW some people just need to get a life.

If they win I am sure everyone will have to predict how badly they will lose "next" Saturday week in and week out. No I don't believe they will go undefeated, probably far from it, but to say they suck because of their coach is such a junior high thought process it is no wonder most fans leave at half time cause they don't have the attention span to stay for the whole game.

One game does not make a season. One season does not make a career. One coach does not make program.

jayhawk02 3 years, 2 months ago

I just don't get it with all of you Mangino Lovers out there. Yes, he did a lot of good things for our program, but how long did it take him? Why not give HCTG the same opportunity? And can you please take off your blinders? Look at Mangino's last season here. I still think his coaching cost us the T-Tech and Mizery games. Possibly the biggest collapse of a season in football history, with Reesing, Meier and Briscoe........and we are still talking about what a great coach MM was? I don't see it.

Chayse Patrick 3 years, 2 months ago

plus 1, he also left Gill with the least amount of intelligent fans as well. All you Gill haters please leave your ignorant comments to yourself PLEASE!!!!!!!

rastameta 3 years, 2 months ago

+million. Dumbest college football fans in the entire country.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 2 months ago

The Wegee Bowl in Bangladesh. Bring your own camel.

rob4lb 3 years, 2 months ago

Mangino was able to move KU up to close to the middle of the Big 12 which was a significant accomplishment. There does seem to be some revisionist history here regarding his accomplishments. Here are some of the facts: - Only one winning conference season in during his tenure. - The Orange Bowl year was great, but you could argue that KU was only the 3rd, 4th or 5th best team in the conference that year. Certainly OU and MU were better. They did not play Tech or UT. That was his best year and we all know that the stars aligned just right that year. -Was not able to take advantage of the 2007 season by bringing in more talented recruits. -Mangino never beat OU, Tech, or UT and only beat O-State and A&M once.

It shows how poor KU has been in football when getting the school up to middle of the conference is considered a reason for exaultation.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree, plus Mangino is grossly overweight which didn't do much for our brand image.

Michael Leiker 3 years, 2 months ago

I do not believe it is that certain MU was better than KU in 2007. If the bus shows up to Arrowhead more than 50 minutes before kick, it could easily have been a whole different story. That was a very close game.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Agree 100% the disruption to pre-game preparation probably was the deciding factor in Armageddon07, considering the second half Pinkel was barely able to parlay a 3-score lead (twice) into a squeaky win.

However, winning that one and being exposed in Conf Champ probably doesn't qualify for BCS – or the momentum to win any bowl.

You can't convince me 2007 could have gone better than it did. If we had to replay the middle five games that year, we might have lost three or more.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 2 months ago

My guess is that of all the posters who think we will win one or two games that none of you saw the end of the Colorado game last year because you had already left. You see, supporting your team to the end in the face of uncertainty, against all odds, will allow you to see things others will not see. There are even times when we win but the score does not reflect how we imposed our will, played more tenaciously, never gave up. We won the battle of the heart but the scoreboard does not see that. Let's not be so shallow. Life and even football is about self-respect. I think our players have that. Many of our fans lack it. My hope and prayer is that Jayhawk Nation gets its self-respect back and looks beyond the scoreboard and can simply enjoy the competition, the effort, and the sacrifice of these young men. Remember, they represent you, and thank God they don't have the mindset of those they represent.

Michael Leiker 3 years, 2 months ago

My reason for thinking that KU is likely to win 1 or 2 games this year is exactly because of the Colorado game last year. CU is not on the schedule and comebacks like that only happen every 40 years. Couple that with the fact that we have no obviously overrated top 25 teams coming into Lawrence and replace them with a game against a very strong easy to look past team in NIU and it has the makings of an ugly, embarrassing year. People who think we have a good chance of winning on the road at a BCS conference opponent in GT have got to be high in my opinion. GT was ranked last year and went on the road to KANSAS and got their butts handed to them.

Using one game as an example that this team never gave up last year is a mistake. They gave up in just about every other game they were in once they were down by a couple of touchdowns, and had their hands held by an apathy breeding coaching staff the entire time.

Sanctimonious hypocrites who criticize people for criticizing a football team get no respect from me.

rastameta 3 years, 2 months ago

Your comments are asinine and you have no clue what kind of coach Gill is or what type of program he is running.

How many practices have you attended? Meetings? How much do you know about what it takes to run a college football program?

Shut the f$%& up.

scottierabs 3 years, 2 months ago

Rob4lb, you do not seem to remember 2007 that well. KU beat KSU at home after the Cats beat Texas by 3 touchdowns on the road. KU handled OSU in Stillwater where Texas Tech had lost to the Cowboys earlier in the year. Texas A&M after losing to KU at home beat Texas by a touchdown. Hell, Colorado beat OU a few weeks before they lost to the Jayhawks. KU at worst was the third best team in the conference in 2007 and could beat the other top teams (OU and Mizzou) on any given Saturday. On top of this, KU handled the best team from the ACC in the Orange Bowl. The 2007 team didn't have the most talent in the conference but that was a good football team that deserved their rank!

Varlo52 3 years, 2 months ago

I wouldn't mind the negative comments so much if I did not feel that those who have written them didn't somehow wish to see their predictions come true.

tis4tim 3 years, 2 months ago

Great posts today, AtlJaybird. You came to play for sure.

I like that quote from Teddy and I agree that we should throw our full support behind our team.

But to play devil's advocate, substitute the word "critic" with "fan" (as they are generally the biggest critics) and all of a sudden the critic does count because it is he who spends his hard-earned money to go to games and buy merchandise, which in turn supports the program.

To that degree, it is imperative that the the man in the arena do less "fails while daring greatly" and more "triumph of high achievement", something this team has not accomplished much of in recent years.

Not to dismiss or diminish your point, but the naysayers, in my opinion, do seem to have some solid ground on which to stand.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

DANG IT AtlJaybird - normally I have a lot of respect for you, but you crossed the line this time. Don't ever - ever - dog the nacho cheese again. That's the reason 3/4 of these so called "fans" show up - to savor the nacho cheese, which brings back fond memories of Mangino's glory days...................

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

When the stadium is full and sold out every game like allen fieldhouse, we will know that KU football is where it needs to be. Wins fill the seats, losses dont. I do agree however that you have to see the whole picture and not just what you want to see and not expect everything all the time. Once the players buy into Gills philosophies of coaching and the system and start believing in what he is trying to build they will indeed start to reap the benefits from that. Until then just keep in mind young team , 2nd year coach. I heard somebody once say, once you get rid of all the leftover Mangino players then you will know where we stand and there wont be any excuses anymore. We will see in time how it all plays out.

TheTravellingSalvationShow 3 years, 2 months ago

Alright.

First and foremost...read the article, people. Tait never predicted a bowl game. This is an optimistic article posted by a LAWRENCE Journal-World reporter, which requires a little fluff here and there. But even though the title of the article ignites your desire to immediately rebut, please refrain. Review the article before you make an idiot of yourself.

Secondly…in regards to Mangino. The man doesn’t get enough credit. It was clear that the athletic department started a witch hunt and demanded his head, convincingly because of all they invested in the “History Awaits” season. It didn’t pan out, and they pulled the trigger on Mangino. He did more for KU football than any coach since Don.

We compare coaches not because we despise Turner Gill, but because Mangino was arguably very successful. The one thing I don’t see eye to eye on with Gill is the lack of discipline. Some may argue this, but hear me out. If you attended any games last year, you would have noticed that on the sidelines, coming out of the locker room, etc….our players looked uninterested. Goofing around, laughing, and lackadaisical; all while getting our teeth kicked in.

Be careful what you wish for. We asked for the opposite of Mangino, and we got it. But I want a coach who isn’t afraid to cuss out a player when he does something stupid. Not one who pats them on the back when they improve from fumbling 5 times a game to 4. The intangibles are what I disapprove of. I don’t care if we win every game, but we didn’t even look like we belonged on a D2 college football field last year.

It’s not fair-weather fandom…It’s realism. I want results this year, and we deserve results as fans. I won’t mind a 3 or 4 win season; so long as we look like we belong.

Plug away.

okiedave 3 years, 2 months ago

Jessie Newell predicts we will squeak by McNeese State by a field goal and Matt Tait is considering the bowl possibilites? What is going on at the LJW. Where is Bill Mayer to bring a historical perspective to this confusion when you need him?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 2 months ago

Predicting wins and losses is folly!!

The phrase.."it's not who wins or loses, but how you played the game.." was never more appropriate for this football season.

All I can hope for is the following:

1] We win the few games we are supposed to win. 2] We compete hard in all the games and upset some teams through sacrifice and intensity. 3] In the games where we are hopelessly out-classed, we never give up, play hard and give'em a scare. 4] Win, lose or draw..the Hawks show improvement every week.

PS I would donate my left nut to beat the crap out of Missouri!!

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 2 months ago

I'll match your left nut and raise you some gray hair.

troutsee 3 years, 2 months ago

I predict we are going to see a vastly improved amd more confident Webb. That's for starters. Furthermore, our run game will be much better as a result of improved QB play. We certainly have the horses for an improved run game. In spite of a questionable defensive line, our D will be better. Our kicking game should also be better. I certainly think we have a legitimate shot at 6 or more wins. We will learn a lot this Sat night.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

Who knows, maybe we will go 0-12....I mean come on guys, everbody is so quick to predict and look into the crystall ball that maybe they should just wait and see how we do b4 imagining false negatives. Who knows maybe we will not get off the bus or lets see fall down and skin all our knees up and have to cancel every game because of it. I mean all im saying is wait and see how tough this team is before we all judge them before hand.

TheTravellingSalvationShow 3 years, 2 months ago

We make judgements based on the evidence at hand. And I'm not talking about statistical evidence (which of course, is overwhelmingly working against KU). I'm referring to a lack of evidence to support that this team will be mentally tougher than last year. They weren't mentally tough last season, and starting a larger number of freshman doesn't bode well for that category.

Maybe I'm making unfair assumptions, but prove me wrong, Jayhawks. The Orange Bowl season wasn't necessarily stacked with true talent. But they were a group of underrated, hardworking, blue-collar athletes that had an extreme chip on their shoulders.

Show me that, and I'd be glad to shut my mouth.

TheTravellingSalvationShow 3 years, 2 months ago

Show me that, and I'd be glad to shut my mouth.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 2 months ago

It is going to be a great day tomorrow Jayhawk fans. Enjoy the game. Wish I could be there, but I'm stuck out here on the Coast and will have to watch Oregon most likely. I may give All-Access another shot. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk! If you are not too sure about this team or staff, try praying. It may not get the result you like, but God always likes to hear new voices and he might just do something spectacular just because he can and he enjoyed hearing from you. One never knows.

justinryman 3 years, 2 months ago

If a football game is played and there is nobody there to see it end, did it really happen?

The nay sayers will always be heard the loudest, remember, the squeaky wheel always gets the oil.

Today is the last day of what was. Tomorrow is the first day of what is to come.

An old book title, "Stories from under the bleachers", by Seymour Butts.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope all the "Gill Haters" get their wish, but under different circumstances than they expect. I hope Gill is WILDLY succesful and wins 10 or 11 games per year until his contract is up and then tells us politely to " stick it ", because of all our crappy fans.

The fans have as much to do with KU's success ( or lack of ) as the players and the coaches. Don't think so? Let 1,200 people show up at Ohio Stadium and see how well the Buckeyes do. You can substitute any big time program you like there - the home field advantage is huge in college football.

So, if you are really KU fans and you really want to see them succeed - don't wait till they hire the coach of your particular liking - it probably isn't going to happen, get your butts out to the stadium and stay for the whole game.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 2 months ago

That is true. Fans of a legitimate bowl contender every year stay for the whole game.

The "fans" can't leave at half time in a close game and then not take at least part of the blame when Kansas loses. NOISE at memorial stadium effects the opposing team, but it has to be REAL LOUD like in 2004 when KU broke the streak against K-State. At that game, the crowd was louder than Arrowhead Stadium. Memorial Stadium was the loudest stadium that whole season on that night, in the country.

The fans have to stay, you can drink your beer after the game. BE REAL FANS.

kujayhox 3 years, 2 months ago

i am not a turner gill fan, but i am a kansas jayhawks fan so i will support him until he is no longer the coach. this is his second year here and we have the youngest team in the country, but what if all the players really are faster and understand the playbook better and actually go out and seal the edge against gt, shut down the pass against all the pass heavy teams in the big12 and surprise a few teams. all the fans that are saying "cant wait for bball season to start" will be the ones that are shown on tv when the camera does the closeup of the fans. and that kills me. if i could be at the games, i would be there and cheer on the team. all the fans need to be there to cheer on the jayhawks for the group of us that want to be there but cant. i am overseas right now and have met quite a few ku fans and we have all said that we wish we could spend our saturdays in lawrence this year, but cant. so for those of you that do get to go to the games, cheer your heads off for the TEAM, not the coach. and when the part time/t-shirt fans that try to leave to beat traffic, get ready for a party or finish their beer and get to the liquor store before it closes, tell them that every successful team has a great fan base that cheers the whole time. i know that our stadium only seats 52000 people, but when those 52000 are screaming at a qb, they are almost sure to misread the d and do something dumb that changes the game. i dont expect anyone to think that we will make a bowl or win more than 5 this year, but just go out and cheer as loud as you can. who knows what could happen if we just stop being so whiny and cheer with the same amount of energy...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

kujayhox - that is that attitude that i've been hoping to see. Nobody has to be in love with Gill, especially at this point, but if you call yourselves Jayhawks fans at least support him and the team.

Shoot - from some of my previous posts, people might think I'm Gill's biggest supporter. I never had an opinion about him one way or the other - in fact, had pretty much forgotten about him for 20 years or whatever it was, until he was hired at KU. I'm not necessarily in love with the dude - I just want people to give him a reasonable chance.

The thing is, how can you form an opinion after one year?

Example: Roy Williams first year at Kansas - 19-12. That is probably the football equivalent of 1-11. Then - after 15 very, very successful years at Kansas, he bails (sorry, couldn't resist) and at North Carolina - what did he do his first year? 19-11.

It takes time people.

yates33333 3 years, 2 months ago

Brad Edwards, where do you get your smokes? I need some.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 2 months ago

In some ways this year isn't about wins and losses. I am looking at the big picture which yes should be wins and losses, but I am looking at how we play. Obviously that would sound like what you say to pee wee players, but hear me out.

I want to see us improve our offense in regards to protecting the ball, improve our running game and score a lot more often than last year.

Defensively, be able to stop the run better, avoid the big plays and give our offense more opportunities to get back on the field with 3 and outs.

Being more competitive in games, closer scores, upsetting a team somewhere down the line and have something to grow on the following year would be leaving the end of the season on a positive note. Overall improvement this year is how I see it. Would I love to win 5 games or more games? Of course, and I believe we can win 5 games this year, but I believe this is not our potential bowl season.

I think we are a year away from being a bowl team and I will stick to it and hope our team shows the potential to be just that. Anything can happen, we could win 8-9 games and be wowed by our team or win 0-1 and be ready to get rid of Gill, but for now let's hold our heads up high and believe that this will be a better season.