Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vegas prep Shabazz Muhammad to host KU coaches

Shabazz Muhammad, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, who is ranked No. 1 nationally by Rivals.com, will welcome Kansas University’s coaches into his home Sept. 14.

At that time, he may finalize plans for an official visit.

“Coach Townsend (Kurtis, assistant) talked about Shabazz taking a visit when all the former players return in September,” Muhammad’s dad, Ron Holmes, told jayhawkslant.com. He was referring to possibly attending the Sept. 24 Legends of the Phog alumni game in Allen Fieldhouse.

He has also scheduled in-home visits with UCLA (Sept. 9), Duke (Sept. 12) and Kentucky (Sept. 13). Arizona, Texas, Texas A&M;, UNLV and USC are also on his current list of prospective colleges.

“Shabazz received an offer from Kansas right after the elite camp (three years ago). It’s about the program and the familiarity with the program and the relationship he has with the coaching staff,” Holmes said.

New name: Waverly Austin, a 6-11, 255-pound sophomore center from Palm Beach (Fla) State College, told jucorecruiting.com he has received a scholarship offer from KU. The former South Florida signee also is considering Oklahoma, Missouri, Miami, Clemson, South Florida, Washington and Washington State. Austin has yet to schedule a visit.

Comments

Cmill1221 10 years, 1 month ago

Poor UNLV. And wow 6-11 255 love how bill self gets the big tough inside guys. I know Roy had his share of GREAT big men but I always felt like his big guys had trouble w/ the bruising bigger teams.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 1 month ago

How did you form the opinion that this guy is tough? He obviously isn't too smart.

kwahyajjj 10 years, 1 month ago

How did you form the opinion that he wasn't too smart?

Nutflush21 10 years, 1 month ago

Probably because the vast majority of high major caliber kids at JuCos are non-qualifiers out of high school.

kwahyajjj 10 years, 1 month ago

And the vast majority of 6-11 255 pound kids are tougher than the 6-10 220 pound kids Roy used to recruit.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 1 month ago

Roy has been gone for almost 10 years. Quit talking about the guy. Dang

KGphoto 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing it's because he still has Miami AND Missouri on his list. Which in turn means he has a relationship with Haith. Which isn't too smart.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 1 month ago

Wow, you clearly don't pay attention to what is going on with the Miami story. Ignorance is pain in the butt.

Cmill1221 10 years, 1 month ago

I never said he was tough. All I said was that BILL SELF recruits big tough kids and that Roy Williams always had trouble with big tough teams. And considering the type of players Bill Self recruits why don't you guess what type of player he would be.

Andy Hess 10 years, 1 month ago

Good to hear about Shabazz giving us an in-home visit, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

hawk316 10 years, 1 month ago

My impression of Shabazz is that he is a terrific talent, but he's also quite likely a "one and done" player. I personally enjoy watching our players develop over the course of their college career until finally they become studs as upperclassmen. There's just something attractive about the maturity that can be seen in juniors and seniors (I expect that we'll be treated to this with TRob and Tyshawn this season). So, in short, if we get Shabazz, great! If not, that's ok, too.

Jayhawklegacy 10 years, 1 month ago

I couldn't think of better timing for a recruit to come visit, then when we have our legends in the fieldhouse! Shabazz Paul Pierce, Paul Pierce Shabazz how cool!

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 1 month ago

Too bad they don't do this kind of thing more often.

jhox 10 years, 1 month ago

I'd prefer he come to Late Night, myself. The atmosphere for late night is tough to beat. However, the important thing is that he makes a visit, and sees a full and rowdy Allen Field House.

kranny 10 years, 1 month ago

True, but I'll bet this game will pack the house and who better to help with recruiting than current and former NBA guys who are forever Jayhawks.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, the legends game will be a fantastic recruiting opportunity. Hope Bill has several guys in line to visit that day.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 1 month ago

The 13th...Kentucky, not a lucky date for a visit!

Packing so many in home visits so close together should be an indication that he is about to make his list shorter. He should not factor in the turmoil in the B12 in terms of his decision. After all, he won't be on any team more than one season anyway. Why not say that he played his year of college ball with a storied program like KU? Yeah, Duke, Kentucky and UCLA have stories too. But, some of them aren't particularly ones to draw a guy like this in. If we're faced with OAD players, we might as well put our best foot forward and land a whale!

KGphoto 10 years, 1 month ago

I just can't get excited about another OAD. I want to, but it doesn't seem to work into Self's type of game. I'm much more excited about seeing players develop a team and stay for senior night.

Hey if we get him great. I'm cheering whoever takes that court. And if I were to take a rooting interest in whether we get him, I'd say it's good that Self gets the last in home visit on the 14th, and that Shabazz gets to see the legends.

Robert Brock 10 years, 1 month ago

There is a 99.9 percent chance that he goes to UCLA anyway.

Robert Brock 10 years, 1 month ago

I think Tarczewski will commit to KU in the next week.

James Donnell 10 years, 1 month ago

We should go after the very best players but these one and done guys haven't worked out very well for us. They basically decide who they will grace with their presence for a year. It is all about THEM and not about the TEAM. Honestly, I would rather focus on the highly ranked recruits that are more likely to hang around 2-3 years.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 1 month ago

Shabazz may open a new category which will be titled 'none and done". It appears there is a strong movement within the NBA hierarchy to consider modifying the high school eligibilty rule.

Nothing concrete yet, but an influx of "fresh talent" may be needed to mitigate the negative stigma of a cancelled or, at minimum, a severely curtailed season.

These kids plus the number of stars that returned to school this year because of the potential strike plus, if the season is cancelled, the kids who declared and were drafted, would form one of the most loaded new player classes in NBA history.

It might be just what the NBA may need!!

jksport 10 years, 1 month ago

I wondering if Manning wears both championship rings when he visits? Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 10 years, 1 month ago

If the NBA revokes the OAD rule, that would be the second biggest mistake the NBA could make behind losing a season. LeBron James's immediate success in the NBA has made a lot of HS kids think they are ready for the NBA when they are not. If the NBA revokes the rule, I would expect to see 10+ HS kids in the draft each year with maybe a couple becoming productive players. I believe there were 39 HS kids that were drafted from 1995-2005 with only 6 of them making an all-star team. There were 17 kids drafted the 8 years prior to LeBron's draft (2003) and 17 drafted the 2 years after LeBron with 5 being drafted in 2003. The NBA needs to adopt a two year rule because the number of OAD's in the NBA who have flopped is a very high number as well. I don't think going to two years would eliminate high draft picks who busts because those will always happen, but it will give kids a better chance to grow into their bodies and be physically and emotionally ready for the rigors of an NBA season.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

This is an excellent article on how the NBA's rule has completely failed in its purpose which is limiting general manager drafting mistakes:

He also talks about how the same mistakes are made regardless of the number of years a player stays in college. Busts will be busts. Making a kid go to school for 1 or 2 years when he does not want to isn't fair, doesn't make sense, and it has not helped the NBA. And it certainly has made the college game worse.

Self's plan is perfect: declare out of high school if you choose to, but if you don't you must stay in college for 3 years, just like baseball. The NBA could even require those without a college degree to attend a seminar on the risks of declaring before they are allowed to officially put their name in.

texashawk10 10 years, 1 month ago

I was onboard with adopting a plan similar to baseball for a long time, but when I stopped to think about it, I realized that would create a larger number of HS kids going pro before they are truly ready to do so. A 20 year old age limit or 2 years out of HS to me is ideal for 2 main reasons.

1 being that at 20-21, most people have stopped growing and it allows those kids a couple of years to be in a supervised structured weightlifting program to fill out their frames which allows a kid to go into the NBA more physically prepared to beat and bang with physically mature grown men.

2 is the mental maturity of someone who has been in college for 2 years compared to someone who is 18 or 19 and has never been on their own. I can say that if I went into the "real world" at 18, I would be in a much worse position in life than I am now. I became much more financially aware of how much stuff really costs, and didn't blow through money right the second I got it. I think this is true for the majority of 18 year old kids as well.

People can rattle off Kobe, Durant, and LeBron's names all day long as reasons why HS and OAD kids should be allowed to enter the draft, but those were exceptions and don't change that most HS and OAD kids fail to live up to their expectations. The two most common reasons to me are that those kids were either not physically or mentally mature enough for the NBA, The fact is there are maybe 1 or 2 HS kids per year that are capable of transitioning to the NBA straight out of HS and I don't think rules should be made to accommodate 1 or 2 exceptions. There will always draft busts and there's nothing that will change that, but a 20-21 year to me will be better prepared to succeed in the NBA as opposed to a 18-19 year old.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Also, at the end of the day, the guys declaring out of high school are adults. They have to make their own decisions. Some kids choose not to go to college, join a rock band and try to hit it big. When it doesn't work out, they have to figure something else out. Here in LA, kids flood every year to try to break into Hollywood. 99.9% don't make it. Should the Screen Actor's Guild require you to attend college for two years first?

We all have to make our own choices in life.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm in agreement with you about the rule. It is farce and doesn't work. If he's old enough to join the military and put his life on the line then certainly he's old enough to play pro ball. Good article also... But at the end of the day, the NBA has the right to decide age limits, years removed from HS, hiring practices and doesn't need to be told how to run its business as long as applies its rules fairly and consistently. How many kids go from high school to the NFL? Then again, MLB actively recruits high school kids. I'd like to see kids play 2 years of college ball or scrap the rule entirely. For those who don't qualify academically..D league, oversees or a 2 yr college.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 1 month ago

ralster... My respect for consistent well thought out posts.. Even those I disagree with.