Thursday, September 1, 2011

KU football players hope to find some luck with newly installed bronze Jayhawk

A new bronze sculpture Jayhawk landed outside the east side of the Anderson Family Football Complex, on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011. The sculpture will begin a tradition for the football players to touch the Hawk's beak for luck when exiting the locker-room during games.

photo

A new bronze Jayhawk sculpture landed outside the east side of the Anderson Family Football Complex on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011. The sculpture will begin a tradition for the football players to touch the Hawk's beak for luck when exiting the locker-room during games. Setting the sculpture in place from left is Eric Epperson, with Fullbright Sign, Lawrence, John Free, of The Bronze Horse, Pawhuska, Okla., the sculptor, and his wife Cindy Free.

A new bronze Jayhawk statue found its perch Thursday just outside the Anderson Family Football Complex facing the south side of Memorial Stadium.

Athletics officials hope the Jayhawk will create new traditions — football players will rub it for luck before each home football game, similar to other statues in places like the University of Maryland.

The statue stands about 4 feet high and 4 feet wide, said D.W. Acker, a graphic designer for Kansas Athletics, who helped design the statue in two dimensions before collaborating with bronze sculptor John Free, of Pawhuska, Okla., on the final product.

“We wanted it to look exactly like the Sandy Jayhawk,” said Chris Howard, a KU associate athletics director, referring to Hal Sandy’s famous Jayhawk logo design.

That was not as easy as it might seem, Acker said, standing nearby as crews installed the statue, which cost $48,000 to construct, paid for by Kansas Athletics Inc.

“That was a real challenge, to take a flat image and make a 3-D image out of it,” he said.

Free said he made several trips to Lawrence from Oklahoma to consult with athletics officials. Free, an Oklahoma State alumnus, wasn’t intimately familiar with the Jayhawk logo, so he worked closely with Acker to modify the design throughout the process.

Even though the logo is flipped occasionally, there’s a back side of the Jayhawk that’s never visible, Acker said. A wing, for example, is always covering part of the boot that’s on the ground, he said. Acker said he enjoyed getting to use his imagination to envision what that might look like. Every feather, he said, has a reason for being placed where it is.

“Everybody in the world has seen the Jayhawk from this angle,” he said, looking at the statue in profile. “You’ve never seen the other side of that Jayhawk.”

Acker said he hoped that fans, players and all manner of Jayhawks would be able to enjoy the statue, which is situated so it’s easy to grab a photo with the Campanile or Fraser Hall in the background.

“I’m always glad to be a part of something that people are going to see and enjoy,” Free said.

Comments

John Percival 2 years, 7 months ago

It cost half of what they paid for the trajan font.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 7 months ago

I like it, but if they built it and spent $48,000 on it just so the football players could have something to rub for good luck, then I think it's a bad idea.

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey, if you haven't gotten your FB tickets yet you can buy them on Groupon for 60% off. What does this say about confidence in this team? http://www.groupon.com/kansas-city/?post_subscribe=true

squawkhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, a bronze statue is just what the FB team needed. That should elevate their play to at least 2 wins this season and reduce their average margin of loss to 23 points per game.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe EcoKat can come to Lawrence once a month and keep it clean and environmentally friendly for us.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

That's a good looking Jayhawk. Glad they did it. It's going to be a nice photo op for fans.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

"What does he mean that no one every gets to see the other side of the Jayhawk? There are full scale Jayhawks ALL over Lawrence from the Jayhawks on Parade several years back."

Thanks Prowess, I was wondering the same thing. It's a nice article and the sculpture appears to be a really nice addition to the outside of the stadium, but his comments about not getting to see the full Jayhawk anywhere make absolutely NO sense. I also agree with those who question why they couldn't find a KU alum who could do it. No offense to the OSU alum, who seems to have done a fine job. But unless there was a big difference in talent or cost, why wouldn't they first take the project to a KU alum or Kansas resident?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

I must say, they mentioned that it was four feet high and it stands on a pedestal of about 3-4 feet. I was just wondering if our 5'8" receivers would be able to touch the beak?

I admit that wasn't nice of me. I was trying to be funny, but I know this probably ismean spirited...I'm apologizing in advance.

I like the concept and I think adding nice things like this on the campus actually is a good thing.

$48,000 seems a little bit steep though, but I've got be honest, I haven't made too many statues in my life.

nckujayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Love the Jayhawk, but why pay someone in Oklahoma to sculpt the statue? Why not keep the money in state, and support Kansas's economy, keep a job in state, and build the state's population and TV markets?

kureader 2 years, 7 months ago

$48,000 ............... a nice donation for sure. Pretty cool. Nice idea. etc. etc. etc.

..... wait ... KU spent our ticket revenues and my Williams Fund donation on a $48,000 Jayhawk?

Let me guess ... it happened under Perkins' watch!

Let's use the athletic departments cash to improve facilities, pay for scholarships, buy equipment, and pay quality coaches.

If a wealthy alum wants to give KU a bronze jayhawk ... fine.
Let's put their name on it ... make 'em happy ... I don't care. But, Spend MY ticket money and donations to help make our programs better !!! I'd rather fund the KU Women's Rowing Team than pay for a bronze statute.

jksport 2 years, 7 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience is not a fan.

jksport 2 years, 7 months ago

I like it. Some people can find a negative in anything. The upgrades overall to KU football facilities have been huge the past 10+ years. When I was a student there in the 1990s the facilities were terrible. Now, just have to start being competitive again and put people in the stands. Rock Chalk!

Janet Scott 2 years, 7 months ago

The $48,000 spent here by "Z" should have gone to buy-out Bonnie Henrickson's contract.

I understand Manure U. (KSU) bronzed a buffalo chip replica, and erected it on a six foot high pedestal in the cow pen located between that hay barn called Bramledge and the largest tractor pull facility in America (the Bill Synder Family Stadium).

d_prowess 2 years, 7 months ago

Matt Bowers 2 years, 7 months ago

KU should put a bronze statue of every Jayhawk mascot on Naismith Drive

Rock Chalk

Newell_Post 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, it looks better than the pterodactyl.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 7 months ago

gardenjay 2 years, 7 months ago

We don't have any KU bronze sculptors anymore? They used to hang out in a quonset hut behind Strong