Thursday, September 1, 2011

KU football players hope to find some luck with newly installed bronze Jayhawk

A new bronze sculpture Jayhawk landed outside the east side of the Anderson Family Football Complex, on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011. The sculpture will begin a tradition for the football players to touch the Hawk's beak for luck when exiting the locker-room during games.

photo

A new bronze Jayhawk sculpture landed outside the east side of the Anderson Family Football Complex on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011. The sculpture will begin a tradition for the football players to touch the Hawk's beak for luck when exiting the locker-room during games. Setting the sculpture in place from left is Eric Epperson, with Fullbright Sign, Lawrence, John Free, of The Bronze Horse, Pawhuska, Okla., the sculptor, and his wife Cindy Free.

A new bronze Jayhawk statue found its perch Thursday just outside the Anderson Family Football Complex facing the south side of Memorial Stadium.

Athletics officials hope the Jayhawk will create new traditions — football players will rub it for luck before each home football game, similar to other statues in places like the University of Maryland.

The statue stands about 4 feet high and 4 feet wide, said D.W. Acker, a graphic designer for Kansas Athletics, who helped design the statue in two dimensions before collaborating with bronze sculptor John Free, of Pawhuska, Okla., on the final product.

“We wanted it to look exactly like the Sandy Jayhawk,” said Chris Howard, a KU associate athletics director, referring to Hal Sandy’s famous Jayhawk logo design.

That was not as easy as it might seem, Acker said, standing nearby as crews installed the statue, which cost $48,000 to construct, paid for by Kansas Athletics Inc.

“That was a real challenge, to take a flat image and make a 3-D image out of it,” he said.

Free said he made several trips to Lawrence from Oklahoma to consult with athletics officials. Free, an Oklahoma State alumnus, wasn’t intimately familiar with the Jayhawk logo, so he worked closely with Acker to modify the design throughout the process.

Even though the logo is flipped occasionally, there’s a back side of the Jayhawk that’s never visible, Acker said. A wing, for example, is always covering part of the boot that’s on the ground, he said. Acker said he enjoyed getting to use his imagination to envision what that might look like. Every feather, he said, has a reason for being placed where it is.

“Everybody in the world has seen the Jayhawk from this angle,” he said, looking at the statue in profile. “You’ve never seen the other side of that Jayhawk.”

Acker said he hoped that fans, players and all manner of Jayhawks would be able to enjoy the statue, which is situated so it’s easy to grab a photo with the Campanile or Fraser Hall in the background.

“I’m always glad to be a part of something that people are going to see and enjoy,” Free said.

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

We don't have any KU bronze sculptors anymore? They used to hang out in a quonset hut behind Strong

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe we could have you rub their elbows with your face.

jaymar74 2 years, 11 months ago

anti KU football, take a shot!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Wait...what...what was wrong with that comment?

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

Did you ever see "Doubt". You kind of sounded like Philip Seymour Hoffman's character. I'm pretty sure that's what did it.

Or maybe they just don't like you...

Neeooooooh. Couldn't be THAT!

Newell_Post 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, it looks better than the pterodactyl.

Matt Bowers 2 years, 11 months ago

KU should put a bronze statue of every Jayhawk mascot on Naismith Drive

Rock Chalk

Ashtin Meerpohl 2 years, 11 months ago

Do you realize the cost of that. This new bronze statue cost $48,000 alone and there has been 7 different Jayhawks throughout the years. So that equals $336,000. We can't afford that after we lose millions of dollars to a ticket scandal. lol

d_prowess 2 years, 11 months ago

DocBean 2 years, 11 months ago

I think if there really is a competition between KU and KSU, then all we have to do is put out a commercial to KSU fans that says, "If you hate then EcoKat, then send your support to KU."

Easy. We win the $100,000, and the KSU marketing department actually understands how incompetent they are.

DocBean 2 years, 11 months ago

I think if there really is a competition between KU and KSU, then all we have to do is put out a commercial to KSU fans that says, "If you hate the EcoKat, then send your support to KU."

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 11 months ago

Holy cow! I just now saw the Eco Cat for the first time. Is this thing for real? It looks like a children's Halloween costume. Someone's playing a joke on KSU, right?

beware0fph0g 2 years, 11 months ago

It would seem that KState has a saboteur among them...

The creator of the "EcoKat" is Casey Lauer, who is a 2004 KU Grad. Either he is a genius and is single-handedly playing the best prank on KSU ever.

Alternatively, he is a completely moron...and KState stilled hired him. Either way, well played sir. Well played.

squawkhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Your comments don't carry much weight when KSU kicks KU's but 13 to 1 in multiple sports, 59 to 7 in FB and even 1 to 1 in BB. You sound stupid for even trying to disparage them. Oh, by the way, I fully agree with your comment about Bonnie.

jksport 2 years, 11 months ago

I like it. Some people can find a negative in anything. The upgrades overall to KU football facilities have been huge the past 10+ years. When I was a student there in the 1990s the facilities were terrible. Now, just have to start being competitive again and put people in the stands. Rock Chalk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

We will have the best stadium in the MVC

kujayhox 2 years, 11 months ago

people like you show how we have some of the worst fans in the big12, so i guess its all full circle. i like the statue. its not huge and on the grand scheme of college athletics, it didnt cost a whole lot to build. you got to start somewhere to develop football tradition and i think this is a small, but good step in creating some ku football tradition.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 11 months ago

Would have been more entertaining if an actual MVC football conference existed (most teams are FCS and compete in a separate conference for football)...course we may not for much longer apparently.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 11 months ago

actually the MVC basketball conference teams with football programs also play in the MVC football conference, so it is alright to be entertained since you are wrong.

jksport 2 years, 11 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience is not a fan.

Funhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

She is a waitress in Phoenix who is mad at the school that flunked her. And she also has a crush on the football coach.

kureader 2 years, 11 months ago

$48,000 ............... a nice donation for sure. Pretty cool. Nice idea. etc. etc. etc.

..... wait ... KU spent our ticket revenues and my Williams Fund donation on a $48,000 Jayhawk?

Let me guess ... it happened under Perkins' watch!

Let's use the athletic departments cash to improve facilities, pay for scholarships, buy equipment, and pay quality coaches.

If a wealthy alum wants to give KU a bronze jayhawk ... fine.
Let's put their name on it ... make 'em happy ... I don't care. But, Spend MY ticket money and donations to help make our programs better !!! I'd rather fund the KU Women's Rowing Team than pay for a bronze statute.

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

title 9 donates to women's crew for you already as a football fan. It says that men should play football, and since they do, they will not be supported for rowing, only women can row. No men on the swim team either. Just don't go to KU if you're wanting to have those types of experiences.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 11 months ago

you have no idea how title 9 works do you?

as for the "it happened under Perkins' watch", it actually likely did since they have said somewhere this has been in the works since the complex was constructed so i'd assume this wasn't something that SZ did in the 9 months he's been working.

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

Title 9 says that there should be monetary equity in sports. That means the expenses spent on 'male' football get spent on supposedly female-centric sports. Except, there weren't any female only sports. So they had to tell all the KU males to stop rowing, swimming, playing tennis, whatever it took to balance the gender books. That's what they call equity.

It is not in my experience that women need to be by themselves. After all, there are coed swimming, tennis and crew teams in HIGH SCHOOLS.

I think women should be allowed to vote on this in the face of Title 9 - if they want men back on their teams, they can agree to it in the face of the inequity caused by overspending on male sports. This would allow people to have normal college experiences again, what a concept.

nckujayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Love the Jayhawk, but why pay someone in Oklahoma to sculpt the statue? Why not keep the money in state, and support Kansas's economy, keep a job in state, and build the state's population and TV markets?

DocBean 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree, I took a sculpture course at KU in 2000, or 2001. It was fun, and I remember one of the instructors backing up a huge truck with a palate of bronze bars in the back. He was going to cast a big bronze sculpture with it. I had planned to coat one in gold and put it on display in my apartment, but he wouldn't let me have one.

It always bothers me when the University doesn't take advantage of the students they are training to become professionals, or the instructors that they are paying to do the training.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 11 months ago

I must say, they mentioned that it was four feet high and it stands on a pedestal of about 3-4 feet. I was just wondering if our 5'8" receivers would be able to touch the beak?

I admit that wasn't nice of me. I was trying to be funny, but I know this probably ismean spirited...I'm apologizing in advance.

I like the concept and I think adding nice things like this on the campus actually is a good thing.

$48,000 seems a little bit steep though, but I've got be honest, I haven't made too many statues in my life.

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

"What does he mean that no one every gets to see the other side of the Jayhawk? There are full scale Jayhawks ALL over Lawrence from the Jayhawks on Parade several years back."

Thanks Prowess, I was wondering the same thing. It's a nice article and the sculpture appears to be a really nice addition to the outside of the stadium, but his comments about not getting to see the full Jayhawk anywhere make absolutely NO sense. I also agree with those who question why they couldn't find a KU alum who could do it. No offense to the OSU alum, who seems to have done a fine job. But unless there was a big difference in talent or cost, why wouldn't they first take the project to a KU alum or Kansas resident?

Ron Prichard 2 years, 11 months ago

I think all the Jayhawks on Parade are the current mascot. This bronze is one of the prior versions. I haven't seen all of the Jayhawks on Parade, so I'm not 100% sure about that.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

That's a good looking Jayhawk. Glad they did it. It's going to be a nice photo op for fans.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe EcoKat can come to Lawrence once a month and keep it clean and environmentally friendly for us.

DocBean 2 years, 11 months ago

She can wipe it down with all those extra power towels they have laying around.

squawkhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, a bronze statue is just what the FB team needed. That should elevate their play to at least 2 wins this season and reduce their average margin of loss to 23 points per game.

jaymar74 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey squawkhawk, don't forget your power towel on Saturday.

squawkhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey, if you haven't gotten your FB tickets yet you can buy them on Groupon for 60% off. What does this say about confidence in this team? http://www.groupon.com/kansas-city/?post_subscribe=true

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 11 months ago

I like it, but if they built it and spent $48,000 on it just so the football players could have something to rub for good luck, then I think it's a bad idea.

John Percival 2 years, 11 months ago

It cost half of what they paid for the trajan font.