Texas defeats Kansas, 43-0

• 6 p.m., Oct. 29, 2011
  • Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX

Sunday, October 30, 2011

No offense taken: Jayhawks futilely founder along

Kansas safety Lubbock Smith (1) and the Jayhawk defense can't hold back Texas running back Joe Bergeron as he marches through for a touchdown during the third quarter on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2011 at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

KU coach Turner Gill opening statement after 43-0 loss to Texas

KU coach Turner Gill makes an opening statement following his team's 43-0 loss to Texas on Oct. 29, 2011.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 43-0 loss to Texas on Oct. 29, 2011.

Download podcast

— Stick together. Keep working. Move forward. For the past several weeks, those have been the words used by Kansas University football coach Turner Gill and his coaching staff to encourage a struggling football team.

Saturday night, during a 43-0 loss in front of a crowd at 99,211 at Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, the KU offense followed those words a bit too literally by dipping to a new low and playing the kind of game we’ve come to expect from KU’s defense.

“I don’t know (what to say) right now other than Texas just whupped us,” offensive coordinator Chuck Long said. “They out-physicalled us, and this is one of the worst days I’ve had as a coach. It was a rough night, obviously. It’s hard to take it all in right now.”

The Longhorns limited the Kansas offense to embarrassingly feeble numbers in the first half, and that tone carried into the rest of the night.

In the first two quarters, Kansas gained just 10 yards, recorded one first down and ran just 13 plays. During that same time frame, Texas had 318 yards, 21 first downs and 60 plays.

By the end of the night, KU’s totals weren’t much better. The 46 yards of offense were the lowest since KU gained 44 yards in a loss to Nebraska in 1997. It marked the school’s second lowest total since 1968.

KU’s three first downs on Saturday also set a mark for futility, surpassing the previous low of four. That, too, came in a loss to Nebraska, this time in 1972.

The shutout — which came in large part because UT ran 96 plays and had the ball for 44:07, compared to 36 plays and 15:53 for KU — was the first suffered by Kansas since falling, 64-0, to Kansas State in 2002.

Wait. It gets worse.

The Jayhawks ran the ball 20 times against Texas on Saturday. Those 20 rushes yielded minus-2 yards, marking the first time a KU team finished a game with negative rushing yardage since 1997.

Had it not been for a 13-yard pass from quarterback Jordan Webb to wide receiver Christian Matthews with fewer than five minutes to play in the game, KU would’ve played all four quarters without crossing midfield. As it was, the Jayhawks did not move beyond UT’s 40-yard line all night.

“It was definitely difficult to find a rhythm,” Webb said. “Nothing we were doing was working. We just, all-around, didn’t play a good game. Myself included. We’ve been answering the bell throughout the season pretty well, but we just couldn’t get going tonight.”

Even when the Jayhawks were able to record big gains, bad things happened. Brandon Bourbon’s 20-yard reception on the first play of the fourth quarter ended with a fumble. Tony Pierson’s back-to-back plays for 15 yards, early in the third, were followed by a run for negative yardage and a UT sack.

“I’m not gonna say we were gonna go up and down the field on them,” Gill said. “But I expected us to move the ball somewhat.”

While KU was struggling in every phase — the defense finished 10 yards shy of giving up 600 yards of total offense for the third time this season — the Longhorns were rolling. Coming off of back-to-back losses to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, as well as their bye week, UT used the game against Kansas as its opportunity to get well.

The Longhorns led 26-0 at halftime and had two running backs — Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown — finish with more than 100 yards rushing. Each added two touchdowns, the first of which came at 10:06 in the first quarter and proved to be the game-winner.

Of the incredible performance by UT’s offense, which ran for 441 yards, Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz marveled: “We just watched the game as fans for 40 minutes.”

KU fell to 2-6 overall, 0-5 in the Big 12, and sent the team’s tail spinning even faster.

“You get tired of losing. You get tired of saying it all,” junior safety Bradley McDougald said. “But it happened, so you just have to deal with it and keep going out there and giving it your all. If we fold, things can only get worse.”

Added Long: “This team is frustrated. We’re all frustrated at this point. We’re fighting and scratching to find a win. It gets frustrating for young guys to go through something like this, and we feel for them. I’m hoping that it’s just more of a hiccup than something that’s a pattern.”

Like they’ve become accustomed to, the Jayhawks left Austin with their heads hung low and the same message coming from their mouths.

“Their guys were better than our guys,” Gill said. “That’s the only way to put it. We’ve just gotta keep working, and our coaches need to get better, and we gotta continue to get better for next week.”

With next Saturday’s contest at Iowa State being the first game in November, several Jayhawks are looking forward to flipping to the next page in their calendars.

“We knew going into the season that October was going to be rough,” said Long, whose team was 0-5 this month and was outscored 267-100. “It was going to be a tough month for us and our football program. And it ended in an exclamation point tonight.”

Comments

kusportsdotcom 3 years, 5 months ago

"Each added two touchdowns, the first of which came at 10:06 in the first quarter and proved to be the game-winner."

A zinger from Matt Tait.

Marc Frey 3 years, 5 months ago

" Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz marveled: “We just watched the game as fans for 40 minutes" And a truthful zinger from TU as well.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

I though it was funny when tait said: "Kansas University football coach (hahaha, coach, hahaha, ya right, coach, hahahahaha) Turner Gill"

Or did I read that part wrong?

Ibajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Pitthawk34 3 years, 5 months ago

If we win another game it will rival the miracle on ice. I like turner as a person but not as my coach. cut ties as whatever cost and find a defensive minded coach. I want the good old days back when we were only losing by 14 or 17.

TwistedFish31 3 years, 5 months ago

Okay, at a time when I absolutely do not want to laugh, "..will rival the miracle on ice." made me spit my coffee out onto my computer screen. That was funny!

cjleiker 3 years, 5 months ago

Is there a legitimate reason our 2nd string quarterback can't see the field? I can't believe that he didn't get in when the offense was performing so poorly. Again, Jordan may have a stronger arm than Quinn, but I bet Quinn can move the ball better.

teemvee 3 years, 5 months ago

We want Jablonski! We want Jablonski!

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Actually, a really good point. With all of these blowout losses, you would think that the back-up quarterback would get some reps.

James McGuire 3 years, 5 months ago

I would like to know how many offensive series we've had this year that went run, run, pass (incomplete), punt. Would I be way off if I thought it was close to 90%?

johnnyphoton 3 years, 5 months ago

Lack of talent. Lack of coaching. Lack of an identity. If Zenger believes this can be fixed, then I'm tempted to say there is a dearth of smarts in the AD department. What else is there to say? The ineptitude of this programs' performance is stunning. This team is reliving the good old days of Big 8 football when powerhouses regularly hung 50+ points on the lower tier teams.

Coach Gill, I've never been more impressed with you as an individual. I hoped you might bring something resembling a Nebraska-like program to KU. And although it takes time to build a program, it doesn't appear this team/program is even showing the slight sign of moving the proverbial needle toward toward that end.

Nic Andrews 3 years, 5 months ago

Lack of talent? We have some talent. especially on Offense and the fact that folks can't tell there's some talent there just goes to piss poor coaching. There is no good reason, other than horrible coaching and preparation, that we should have 46 yards total and 3 downs. and minus rushing...Bring some more coaches in here and I bet we'd see improvement almost instantly. Maybe not W's, but growth and improvement. That's how bad this is. Makes me sick to my stomach to watch. I hope the AD does what's necessary, for KU, for the players, for the fans, for the Big 12....Because this is getting beyond ridiculous.

dhawk87 3 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't agree more.....KU has the talent to win ball games. They have just as much if not more talent than k-state and others in the conference. I think the only way Gill stays is if he takes initiative and fires his coordinators or atleast one of them and let the fans know he's going to do whatever it takes to win. Many people raved about the offense early in the year but Chuck Longs play calling is so vanilla it makes me sick. I love the way Gill and company can recruit but when you get the young running backs KU has I don't understand why he doesn't run them outside more often and utilize their speed. Quit running it up the middle every damn time!

George Bures 3 years, 5 months ago

You people are crazy. We have NO talent, NO athleticism. Phatman left the us with no athletes on defense. Athletes could overcome pathetic coaching to a degree. Our defense isn't missing assignments, they just can't keep up. The offense on the other hand flat out under preformed Saturday.

gardenjay 3 years, 5 months ago

Well, Iowa State is coming up. I hope the boys decide to work as a team, and hope there isn't a disconnect between coaches and players as implied by many a poster on this site....

Rock chalk, get those heads back up.

jhox 3 years, 5 months ago

What makes the players think November will be any easier? This is clearly a result of poor coaching and guys not playing hard for this coaching staff. I realize we have deficit talent wise, but these players have also simply quit trying. Look for a similar outcome in weeks to come.

Michael Leiker 3 years, 5 months ago

Is it supposed to say "Flounder" not "Founder" in the headline?

yates33333 3 years, 5 months ago

I missed this when I made my post. I think you are correct.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 5 months ago

Founder is also a term used to describe a sinking ship.

Dennis Mahorney 3 years, 5 months ago

Livestock who overeat are said to founder....'Bloated longhorns founder on tender Jayhawks"

Pitthawk34 3 years, 5 months ago

Right but isnt Flounder a type of fish

David Atchley 3 years, 5 months ago

More appropriately..."founder" in equine definition is a "disease of the hooves that prevents a horse from running and has limited movement."

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 5 months ago

It's time for the players to blame the coaching, I don't believe this staff has ever bought into Gill. Chuck Long's wife and kids live in Norman not Lawrence, how committed could Long be to this program?

stm62 3 years, 5 months ago

Again, Coach Gill seems like a great person and I hate to wish any ill will upon him, but this is awful.You can't even get excited before games because you know that this team has little chance to win. What a thrill it was each and every week to watch the Orange Bowl team. I hope we can experience that kind of success soon. Sheahon?

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 5 months ago

areyouserious 3 years, 5 months ago

Sick of the "good guy" comments.

Anybody else wish we had Phillip Fulmer or Tommy Tubberville at this point? They both wanted the job! And we end up with the worst of the 3 candidates........and thats not hindsight!

Michael Leiker 3 years, 5 months ago

I just keep thinking, can you imagine having this guy's job? Having to go into players homes for the next 3 years and selling what he is doing at Kansas? Having to stand up in front of a hundred young men and tell them you believe in what you are doing? At some point you have to resign right? You can't just continually be able to keep telling yourself that you are capable of doing this, can you? I mean for a guy as nice and honest as TG, the internal psychological conflict just has to be overwhelming. KU at some point in the next couple of years is going to have to put this guy on a suicide watch. Lew really made the mistake of putting a very good man in a horrible position that he was truly unprepared for and you could see during the hand shake w/Mack Brown after the game tonight that it is absolutely killing him.

For those of us, myself included, who have been continual detractors and have seen the error of this hire from the get go, it's time to stop piling on and try to support these kids and staff at this point. Nothing we can say on any board is going to make a better point than what is happening on the field. I just hope that TG can find the strength to do what is right at the end of this season, swallow what is left of his pride and eat that 6mil, because I just cannot imagine KU being able to eat it for him.

yates33333 3 years, 5 months ago

I got nothing against the idea that they foundered, but I think they more or less floundered.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

he is too busy listening to his fat little girlfriend about how great he is

speggola 3 years, 5 months ago

but hes not a nice coach!!! we got rid of the fat man cause he was mean!!! Jeez....football right back in the toilet cause our coach was mean to us!!!!!

Dennis Mahorney 3 years, 5 months ago

"Sister Marys of the Bleeding Heart", "Central Toledo Boys and Girls Club", and 'Betty Crocker Culinary Institute" are all looking for a new conference too.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I've supported Gill.

I've not supported him.

I promised to lay off of him, so now I just want to say this.

I realize that money is the driving force in this gridiron soap opera, but If he had been fired 2 or 3 weeks ago, it would have been greatly to Gill's benefit. It would have been a bitter pill for him to swallow (although, a spoonful of several million dollars would have helped the medicine go down nicely), but he could have moved on.

I'm asking objectively - is any other BCS college going to hire him now? I can't imagine why they would. I mean it's fun to watch records set every week, but not so much if you're the team that they're being set against. We just go from bad to worse and then, when you think it CAN'T get any worse - it does.

Watching the "highlights" on ESPNU this morning - the announcers were actually laughing about us. Maybe they were K-State alum? I wanted to get mad, but what else could they do, really? At this moment in time, our team is laughable.

Dennis Mahorney 3 years, 5 months ago

Your comments over the season have been on target. They were hopeful when there was a chance for hope, supportive when it was time for support. You just as realistic today. Even a true fan would have to ignore so much to be saying the same things that they did at the start of the season. Gill is known as a great recruiter....THAT..was the top selling point, not his so-so record with Buffalo. Who will come here now..Who? We have been on TV to much, and thats not a good thing.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

chalky - I appreciate your comments.

I don't know Turner Gill personally, but he seems like a great guy and I really wanted him to succeed here. I know that sometimes it doesn't sound like it, but I can't imagine that anybody loves KU more than me. I'm not unrealistic. I don't expect us to be a top 5 team (but that would be awesome!), but I'd really like to be able to wake up on a given Saturday morning and think that we have a chance to win. Or at least be competetive

RCJH.

Dennis Mahorney 3 years, 5 months ago

Competitive is good enough for me too. Then we will have our day in the sun from time to time.

Maracas 3 years, 5 months ago

In my lifetime, I've never seen KU football at a lower point. It's sad when we can long to the Terry Allen days.

topflight 3 years, 5 months ago

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

Chuck Long is no doubt very bummed. He was probably hoping to be named interim HC the week before the next cupcake at least. But as I said last week, its gonna keep getting worse all this season against any good teams they meet.

The only way for this team to get a win is a cupcake. That's life when you build offense first and by midseason other defensive coordinators know your tendencies and you still have no defense.

Football is a brutal game and that is why brutal people tend to prevail at it.

If you can't endure getting shizz beaten out of you, while building for doing the same to others some day, forget football.

Texas could easily have beaten them 80-0, or worse.

Turner got some professional courtesy from his home state.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I believe the phrase at KU is "if you can't endure getting the "Gill" beaten out of you..."

Bob Thompson 3 years, 5 months ago

Why would the beat us 80-0. That would result in getting Gill fired, and why would they want that? As long as Gill is coaching the rest of the big twelve can have a week off to prepare for a real game.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm hoping that there are a few lawyers looking at his resume, contract, etc. for one item that was incorrect, giving us a way out of his contract.

All of you that say HCTG is nice or honest, etc, which I have seen nothing of the sort. I would hope that he would do the right thing and leave.

Turner Gill we don't want you fired...we want you to just leave!!

Go Away Turner Gill.

If I was SZ, I would take away his office, put him in a closet. I would move his parking spot clear across campus. I would still let the team go first class or whatever, but make HCTG go by Greyhound to the games. I would start making it known that we don't want him here. Knowing that people don't want you will expedite the exit process.

Kenny Terry 3 years, 5 months ago

This BELIEVE mantra coming from coach Gill just doesn't cut it. The only thing I believe is we are going to get our ass handed to us weekly. There is no sign of improvement with this team and as we all seen in the Texas game it can get worse

Robert Brock 3 years, 5 months ago

He would be an improvement even though he must be 70 years old.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 5 months ago

This is as bad as I have ever seen. Our team is the laughing stock of the country. Iowa state will wipe the floor with unorganized sad excuse for a team. Id rather have a football team from Ames Iowa than this trash... He is getting paid to do this? And it doesn't weigh him down? How bad can it get??? Just when you think it doesn't get worse this team does it. I feel bad for the kids being grounded on the weekends and not being allowed to to out on Fri and sat deprived of their college yrs and experience to get mailed.and further embarrassed from one week to the next... I cannot support or comment after this... It is just sorry this team would lose to high school teams. If we played mcneese again there is no chance that we would come out on top... Way to keep the faith and keep the players believing. Delusional crap saying we are improving;?? How. About .Facing. Reality.??????? Why lie, Gill?? Why put it on the players? Do you think nobody sees what is going on??? Do u really think that nobody knows what football is? Do you really believe that this team is improving or has improved from last year? Are you really that delusional? Or are you just a complete liar? You are not a good person if you are putting this sad inexcusable disgrace of an excuse for a football team as improved. You are not an ethical person if you really think this is improvement. Face reality, admit you are in over your head and just leave. You are worse then Mangino and the example you portray of acceptance of no success and losing is worse for these kids than any sort of insult that Mangino made.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 5 months ago

Your denial of responsibility for your actions and saying "if the line would have blocked better" is as bad an excuse as anything I've ever seen. You are a true disgrace to football, the heisman, life lessons, and progression of any of these kids lives. Be a real man and accept a 1 million $ buyout of your contract, you have robbed the kids, the fans, and yourself of any respect and deserve to learn some life lessons instead of living in denial. Go to a counselor and learn how to not lie to yourself, your team, your university and the media. You are the fakest human being I have ever analyzed and if you are any sort of responsible man you will accept a 50% buyout of the rest of your contract. I wanted to let you have 3 years to prove yourself, until I heard your ungenuine sad excuses and denial. You have single handedly put a death penalty on our program. You are a fake and have no moral fortitude. Id be as Dissapointed a parent as a child rapists parent... Well they would probably accept responsibility for their actions so... That puts you even below them. Theif (for your contract), coward (for your excuses), and failure for all of the above. An inanimate object would be better than an unaccepting, cowardly, lying, and most of all fake phony sad excuse for a quality human being that you are. Is rather have my kids play for john Wayne Gacey than you... He is man enough to admit his mistakes, you however are not. Keep lying to your student athletes who have deprived of a real college experience, thrift families, your athletic director, and mostly yourself. Fake. No ethics or morals. How can anyone say this a decent human being?? Putting this on his players, and making excuses rather than taking responsibility for his own ineptitude makes me more sick than an imprisoned elderly person with the plague... You are a disgrace to yourself, your family your family name, and your university. If you manned up and admitted you were not doing your job effectively id have some mercy, but you sit there like a selfish 2 yr old and are as responsible as a child as well. Congrats on fraudulently and deceptively tricking your way to an undeserved contract, con man.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

14 keyboards were broken while typing this rant! Good stuff

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

Good Faith effort of being the Kansas Coach.

Clearly he has been trying to help the other teams break records, I think there are clear indications he isn't operating in good faith and he is not competent.

speggola 3 years, 5 months ago

I yelled it at the game.......we don't just suck, we are getting worse!!!! Clearly the Jayhawk faithful in Austin were hiding last night, never been to a game with more of that ugly burnt orange and very few Jayhawk fans!!! We need a change!!! NOW!

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 5 months ago

Mike Leach! We know he can recruit Texas, and he's a lot of fun to watch.

TwistedFish31 3 years, 5 months ago

Not only are you not the most interesting man in the world apherahole, you're not even the most interesting troll on this board. Why did you change your name back from kstate_wildact?

eastcoasthawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Best possible outcome at this point is we have to hope to lose all the rest of the conference games badly and pray that Gill resigns so we won't have to piss away the money coming in from the teams leaving the conference and fall further behind the league.

So glad I couldn't watch this one on the Longhorn or Jayhawk network.

TKHAWK 3 years, 5 months ago

Interesting stat on the KSU-OU game yesterday. Ron Prince was 17-20 when Kstate finally said enough is enough, we had a good program, we are going the wrong way, lets bring back Snider. At this rate, there is no way in hell Gill ends up with 17 wins by game 37. At what point does the Univ of Kansas say, we had a good program, we are going the wrong way, enough is enough?

TongiJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

When they don't owe a coach and his staff $8.8 million. KSU wasn't dumb enough to pay Ron Prince way too much money to come from BUFFALO!?

squawkhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Ron Prince was hired at $750K. KSU knew what they had and what they were doing. Unlike Perkins.

tdub 3 years, 5 months ago

This is bad timimg, considering how things unfolded in Lubbock last night, but look at the vast difference between the second years of Gill and Tuberville. Both programs struggled mightily last season, but Tech is likely bowl-bound this season. The talent level between the teams is similar, I just can't believe that Gill was the choice over Tuberville, who expressed interest in coming to Lawrence.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

Um, TTU went 8-5 and won a bowl game last year. I wouldn't say that was terrific, but for a first year head coach, he did what he was expected to do.

This year already beating the #3 team in the nation on the road (#1 in the coaches poll), sets him light years ahead of TG.

Jayhawker111 3 years, 5 months ago

Tuberville is a loser and will be fired at Texas tech within two years.

Gill needs four years to bring in his own guys if he is to get a fair shot..

But Gill needs to wake up and see that Webb is not getting it done.

Time to make a change to the second string guy --but he is a senior.

Build for the future,-- might as well go with the freshman (Jablonsky).

Jablonsky can do not worse that what we saw last night.

Coach Gill please make the change.

Please show us that we have a reason to be hopeful with the young guys.

Time to give guys like Jablonsky a shot --lets see him play.

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

You have a very good point. Jablonsky performed very well in the spring game when given an opportunity. Give the kid a shot. What can we lose?

Scottydog 3 years, 5 months ago

Probably the smartest post of the day.

boknowssports 3 years, 5 months ago

you want to give Gill two more years??? Have you watched his "progress"???? 3-9 last year, 2-10 this year, 1-11 next year, 0-12 in fourth year...Great!

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

Each, and every coach MUST GO. They are all paid big money to produce a quality product. They are not meeting the standards set, and required, for continued employment with the university. We, the board of directors have spoken. Pack your bags boys. The parties over. You failed.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 5 months ago

No way, keep Reggie Mitchell and David Beatty. Great recruiters! Pretty much everybody else, though.

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

Wrong about Reggie Mitchell. He is a roten recruiter and he sucks as a position coach. I have talked to a number of guys on the team and "The great recruiter" never even spoke to them or their families before they signed on the dotted line to go to KU. He sucks as a RB coach. 6 total yds of rushing offense. Come on. Ever heard him interviewed on the radio? "AHHH you know" is uttered every 2 secs. This guy is an idiot and he projects an idiotic image of the university. In other words he fits in just great with this group. ALL MUST GO.

142466 3 years, 5 months ago

Could KU and BYU swap? BYU to the Big12, football only. College football games aren't played on Sundays. KU goes independent in FB. This swap could induce WSU and Oklahoma City University to resurrect their football programs.

I'm not sure, myself, if I'm just jesting.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't think "resurrect" is an appropriate response to bringing back the WSU football program. The deaths of those players was a real tragedy and unlike Marshall's that occurred a month later, Wichita State was never ever able to recover. I doubt you meant any harm, just would caution on a touchy subject.

davehiatt 3 years, 5 months ago

I have not made a comment on KU Sports in years, but the absurdity and humilation of the University of Kansas football program has become too much to bear. KU football is an embarrasment and has been for most of the last 50 years. Other smaller less well funded institutions have been able to be successful, so it is not size nor I believe money. University of Oklahoma as well as Oklahoma State are smaller institutions in a smaller state and both are vastly inferior as academic institutions (see PAC-12 not interested). Kansas State is a smaller, less well funded, and academically inferior institution yet it has better sports management and does less to embarrass itself than KU. It is competitence at the Athletic Corporation and the consistently poor choices for leadership.

Over the past 50 years excepting a few very short periods (most recently under Mark Mangino) Kansas football is a history of complete and utter failure. We are back to the Terry Allen era in Turner Gill. Coach Gill seems to be a nice man but he has shown his he is not a Division 1 football CEO. He is simply in beyond his abilities, skill, and experience. Lew Perkins set KU up for failure by vastly overpaying and in creating a crisis when simply handling a situation with aplomb and skill would have worked. Lew Perkins set out to fire Mark Mangino and hire his friend and we see what has come to pass from that.

The purpose of a University is post secondary education. If the past few weeks have shown us anything it is that college athletics and in particular college football is the bought dog of ESPN and Fox Sports and their search for cheap content. This is further underscored by the complete absurdity of the Big 12 and the behavior of most of it's instututions in the last two years in term of conference affilation.

The University of Kansas needs to recognize that it appears to be unable to compete in Division 1 football. It's should withdraw from Division 1 and play at a Division 1-AA or Division 2 level, a level that matches it's committment and focus rather than continue to embarass the alumni, students, itself, and it's associated league partners with the sham it currently tires to perpetuate.

davehiatt 3 years, 5 months ago

Kansas football is viewed as non competitive, it is silly to believe that any player with any level of competitive pride would even momentairily consider playing in Lawrence. For Kansas football to become competitive it could not affort to hire the kind of rookie coach it did, even if they are an "up and commer". The reason is simple, Kansas now will have to prove its committment and overcome it's complete lack of class in the way it released and handled Mark Mangino (who clearly had problems that needed addressing). Turner Gill represents the worst possible approach the University could have taken, Terry Allen the sequel. Now the University has cememted the view that it's last 50 years of failure was not an accident but is in fact acceptable. KU is viewed as simply not competitive and has no desire to become so.
To make KU competitive would require a very high stature coach with a long resume which will cost money spent on Turner Gill. How Kansas can overcome the damage to is reputation is vexing because of the financial hole the Turner Gill contract has put the program in and with the Athletic Dept debt situation. The finances in the Turner Gill contract in fact make him a "death penalty" to Kansas University football perhaps for decades to come. But don't blame him, any of us would take a raise from our current salaries to $2,000,000. No the villian here is Lew Perkins, he is the one who killed hope for football at Kansas for decades to come, Lew Perkins and the administration who hired him.

So the best alternative for Kansas is to concede that it is simply not a Division 1 footbal university and move to a level where it can compete. There is no shame in returning to being a teaching institution and focusing on education instead of the prostuited world of ESPN and Fox sports.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

You are referring to the LJW article that reported KU Athletic's O/Sdebt but unfortunately, true to form, LJW lost some objectivity in failing to discuss KU's debt servicing capability which in my opinion and historic revenue streams, appears more than "manageable". Debt management might require some refinancing (especially given the current low interest rate environment), but KU still has resources to rebuild its football program, including Gill's severence if need be. Thus, your assertion that we move out of D1 football because of finances, makes no sense to me.

davehiatt 3 years, 5 months ago

Financies simply dictate that Kansas will be unable to respond and replace Gill even if the AD tried. Because to dig out of the hole KU is now in will be very expensive. These kinds of situations don 't come and go, the damage accumulates and the view of Kansas football outside at least some Kansas fans is of futility and as a non competitive program.

And this is not new, it's gone on for the best part of 50 years starting with Kansas boosters getting rid of Jack Mitchell because he was from Oklahoma. And it has gone on. But the failures are addative not simple individual occurances when a program has the record of failure and fultility that Kansas has. Hence as the program that is at the bottom of the D1 programs, it needs to face the reality and the true level of failure and the lack of being able to compete.

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm betting if KUAD was serious about bringing in a high profile coach there would be plenty of boosters, donors, and alum that would want to make it happen. I just don't think the people running the show cares that much. If they did it would've showed when you look at the stadium, parking, etc. Sure they've upgraded some of the facilities, but still pretty inferior compared to the more successful programs.

cool_beans 3 years, 5 months ago

Calling it now. I BELIEVE the football team is going to beat Missouri.

Nick Cole 3 years, 5 months ago

I love the positive attitude... and the name.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

If we lose to Iowa State Saturday, might we see Zenger handing the keys over to Long (SOLELY ON AN INTERIM BASIS)? That would get the coach search process moving forward ahead of others.

Jayhawkcc 3 years, 5 months ago

I see certain "defensive" players around the ball all the time, but no popping of pads, no intensity, no "wrap-them-up-dump-them-on-the-ground" tackling. It's as if the outside linebackers and secondary have become passive spectators. The Offense? They don't . . . There's no sense of ergency; they have no "Attack Mode." They don't play to win, they play not to be embarassed. Consequently, they are. But they do know, "Learned Helplessness." This is no attitude for football players. Offensive or Defensive! But, as the Titans say: "...attitude reflects leadership."

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

Didn't your read the article in which Turner Gill said that he only tackles 6 times during practice, and the rest of the game...I mean practice, he plays two hand touch.

Andrew Washington 3 years, 5 months ago

maybe we'll win out from here and get to a bowl game

Andrew Washington 3 years, 5 months ago

The next four games should be easier than the previous four anyway..

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 3 years, 5 months ago

Q. Does anybody know if the disparity in total offense between the teams, UT had 544 more yds than KU, is an NCAA record? I will be shocked if it isn't in the top three.

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 5 months ago

How does this performance give Gill any leverage when he's recruiting?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

Since I am a St.Louis Cardinal season ticket holder and a rabid Cardinal fan, I am in heaven and everything is fabulous.

I know, however, when I wake up on November 1st, I will realize that I am tied to the worst football team in college [the Jayhawks] and the worst football team in the professionals [the Rams]...and I will truly understand the meaning of Ying and Yang!!

My heart goes out to all Kansas City Royal/ Kansas Jayhawk football fans who only have the Yang. At least your Chiefs win a game once in awhile.

Luckily for all of us, there's always Jayhawk Basketball!!! :)

Dan Harris 3 years, 5 months ago

Oak- I live in the DFW area so I've got a huge hangover from what went down Thursday night( 2 times down to 1 strike and can't close the deal! REALLY?!?!?!) I then stupidly invited my neighbor over last night who is a UT grad to watch the game and eat some chili. What an embarrasment TG has turned our football program in to. Well at least the chili turned out good and BB season is almost here! Congrats to your Cards(said begrudgingly)

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 5 months ago

...or emotionless like Chuck Knoll, Joe Gibbs, or Tony Dungy, to name a few who were effective. Different strokes for different folks.If he does somersaults a la Pepper Rogers, so be it! I just want a coach who can win!

babyjay1 3 years, 5 months ago

I just learned something truly amazing... You ARE allowed to yell at your players and at the refs if you are a college fb coach! You are also allowed to coach them - no really, it's not against the rules! Those headsets actually allow you to coach during games and you really do get time during the week to coach between games. Holy crud... Maybe TG doesn't know this yet...

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I just always thought those earphones were noise cancelling earphones, so the coach couldn't hear all of the fans yelling at him to actually coach.

seattlehawkfan 3 years, 5 months ago

Apparently Turner didn't get the memo! Does he think this is a game show? He accepts the head coach position once "The Price is Right" for him, and ends up putting our football program in "Jeopardy!" The only reality show he would be a good fit for is "The biggest Loser" right along side Mangino! This "Wheel of Torture" has got to end. Turner needs to take his dog and pony show and head back home. This is Kansas Freakin University, home of the award winning Jayhawks, where Trophys are highlighted behind glass displaying WINNERS OF THE ORANGE BOWL, Insite Bowl, home of the elite Basketball program with 13 final fours, Counbtless conference championships including 3 national championships! Can't Turner hear "The Voice" and realize he's no "American Idol"....He "Punk'd" us and it's time he gets voted off the Island! Someone needs to kick is A$$ so far up he's "dancing with the Stars!" As it stand now, his head is so far up his A$$ he needs a glass belly button just to see!

Theodore Thadogweadore 3 years, 5 months ago

So, does anyone still wonder why Tom Osborne wouldn't hire Gill to be Head coach at Nebraska?

That was the first, and biggest, red flag to me.

Turner Gill would barely be qualified to coach at Haskell!!!

kufaninmo 3 years, 5 months ago

as much as it kills me to say, i think hctg will be around ONE more season...i truly feel sorry for the guy though. just all around a crappy situation for all.

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't want anyone feeling sorry for me if made over $2 mil a year for not doing my job right. I can't imagine what the stands will look like at next years season opener if he's still the coach.

jayhawk2062 3 years, 5 months ago

I was at the game in Austin and it was an absolute embarrassment in every way possible.

Here are the STATS of futility under Turner Gill: (Stats begin 2010 - 20 games)

-Given up 40 points or more 11 times

-Given up 50 points or more 5 times

-Given up 60 points or more 1 time

-Given up 70 points 1 one time

-Lost by 21 points or more 10 times out of 15 losses

-Scored 24 points or less as a team in 13 of the 20 total games

-First shutout loss since 2002 (Coach Mangino's 1st year against K-State)

-Lost to FCS team (1st time since 1982)

• 1-12 record in Big 12 games (0-12 against current Big 12 members)

• Average Score in big 12 games: 46 -14.....being beaten by an avg of 32 per game!

-Overall Record of 5-15

-Attendance at or below 40,000, 5 times in 2 years. Before 2010, last time attendance at a home game was below 40,000.......was in 2006 against Colorado!!!!

This is a joke. It's worse than anything Terry Allen put together. They must axe him after the Missouri game. Period. I say save money and hire a great/upcoming assistant from a winning program (i.e. Mark Mangino) or actually give 2 to 2.5 million to a real coach with a track record of bowl games and winning (i.e. Mike Leach).

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

you posted this twice, so I'll correct you twice.

0-11 against current Big 12 members...Nebraska isn't a member of the Big 12 anymore.

cool_beans 3 years, 5 months ago

let's be serious gill is going to be the coach until his contract runs out because it would cost the school too much money to fire him

Jeff Soisson 3 years, 5 months ago

Fire Gill, Hire Leach. I don't need to write 100 words. We will be competitive in two seasons.

Hire Leach.

Dan Harris 3 years, 5 months ago

• as many points as our defense has given up this year.

squawkhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

What makes you think Leach would even consider coming to this FUBAR insitution.

Jackalope7 3 years, 5 months ago

Another Saturday. Another blowout Loss. What else is new for KU Football? Once again, I will go into work on Monday and hear all the K-State and Mizzou Fans bad mouthing my Jayhawks...Thanks Turner. Really don't know how you have the nerve to take your paycheck home.

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

Right on! The guy is on track to get paid a million dollars for each of his wins. You break down his salary and then all of his wonderful position coaches salaries and divide those into our 46 total yard on offense Sat night. Money well spent? Maybe we should divide it into our 3 first downs? Maybe we should divide it into all of our missed tackles? Bottom line is .......How can any of the brain trust up there go to sleep at night taking all that money and producing such a terrible product? I think I'm going to be sick!

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

He is getting paid by the losses, that is why he is doing so well. He gets $200k per loss this year and therefore, he is trying to get to $2MM dollars this year.

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

David Atchley 3 years, 5 months ago

Mack Brown after winning the National Championship, and taking the Longhorns to the BCS NCG in 2009, has been under scrutiny with Texas fans and alumni, after posting an embrarrassing and losing season last year. It exposed a coaching staff that had become old, complacent, and the recruiting which had been nationally in the top 5, never produced. It was apparent they had not developed the top talent they had recruited.

The exception of Duane Akina (defensive backs coach) who has Texas nicknamed "DB University" and "Major Applewhite" every single coach was replaced on his staff. What's more, they were replaced with the "youngest" assistant coaches he could find. Their program completely came off the proverbial tracks and with all Mack Brown has accomplished in his career at UT, he had to completely overhaul his program.

Every single new coach came from the SEC conference, with the exception of Bryan Harsin, the OC from Boise State. After watching Boise State out-smart OU in a bowl game a few years ago, Mack Brown wanted their offense. After getting pushed around in the trenches in the 09' BCS NCG against Alabama, he wanted to re-establish the running game and big, tough lineman at Texas.

The reason he was given that opportunity, is over the past 11 years, UT is at record attendance, a new end zone of seating that pushes attendance to 101,000, and his efforts to embrace the high school coaches in the State, the increase of endowment to the Athletic Department, the ESPN Contract, has afforded him the top recruits in the State of Texas, despite his record. It was these accomplishments that afforded him the opportunity to correct the program.

Imagine having a coach of that caliber and want the UT nation questioning whether he was no longer the man for the job. The scrutiny of last season and the microscope the programs is under this season, is enormous in comparison. That is the difference between a fan base that "expects" a major bowl each season, expects to get the top high school talent in recruiting.

Until the fan base at Kansas has the same requirements and expectations for their football program, as they do the basketball program, the status will be quo. Turner Gill doesn't have 4 more years. The Conference TV contracts renew in 2015,. and the networks will be looking for strength and viewership from top-to-bottom. Much like the Longhorns single largest booster "ESPN" isn't going to tolerate having a medocre Longhorn team, (they have Urban Meyer in the bullpen) much less have patience for the level of play Kansas is putting on the field.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that Urban will be on the Ohio State University's sideline next year. He has ties to Ohio.

You actually failed to mention that the Defensive Coach actually didn't get fired, he left to coach Florida. To think he could have been an option for us two years ago.

Although your point is well founded. Having teams like KU in which a game played falls to Tier 3 programming is exactly what ESPN wants right now. The Longhorn doubled its expected footballs games already. There are plenty of games that fall to Tier 2 programming, but rarely does a game that has UT in it actually fall to Tier 3.

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

"UT is at record attendance, a new end zone of seating that pushes attendance to 101,000..." Again, KU has goofy end zone seats with a capacity of 30 people and a track around the field. Until KU gets serious with a modern stadium and parking, I don't see a powerhouse in the making...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Can't figure out why this clip keeps popping into my head.................

Seth Peattie 3 years, 5 months ago

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

"Stick together". Just heard two guys kicked off the team because they had had enough. They said where they come from we don't lose. Said they were sick of all this losing and we need to buck up and stop this. We must change and we must get better. For standing up and getting pissed and wanting to turn things around - they get kicked off the team. Another piece of good coaching there Gill. Stomp out guys who care and are sick of losing. Get them back in line with your worthless coach talk which we all see through as pure BS. Hey Coach let me clue you and the rest of the brain trust up there in on a little something. The ship is sinking. Its time to start bailing and changing course. This rosy mary poppins crap aint working. Guys who care and want to fight, guys who are pissed and are ready to do what ever it takes to win are the guys you need. Not these guys who are laughing and joking in the locker room after their latest butt kicking. Not the guys who accept losses as KU Football. You need to have the mindset of not ever accepting losses. Not ever saying we were beat by a better team. That they were more physical then we were. That is unacceptable. Its unacceptable to some of your players and its unacceptable to us fans. Seems the only people that it is acceptable to is some of your players who are used to losing and your brain trust of coaches. Maybe you all should stick together and all pack your bags together. We want those guys who will not accept loss. Who will not tolerate loss and who will fight never to lose again. Thats the mindset needed to turn things around. I guess in your world, those are the kind of people KU dosen't need. And with that let the losing continue.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 5 months ago

I think there were 2 players from the basketball team suspended not the football team. Taylor and EJ for things done over the summer. They will be out for the exhibition games.

I wish what you were saying was true, because it would start building a case of incompetence and not a good faith effort of being a head coach. All things that are spoken of as reasons to dismiss with cause in his contract.

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

Believe, get it BELIEVE me (LOL) it was the football team. Hid and watch. Hope it will come out in the press. Not sure it will but this is a fact. It was football.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 5 months ago

Unless you give names your just a troll looking for attention!

SCJayhawker 3 years, 5 months ago

They were guys who were not deemed good enough by the brain trust to start. Guys who most of us would not even have ever heard of but guys who were part of the team. Guys who had a real fire burning in their bellys to win. Guys who were used to winning and would do just about anything to win. So with those qualities I guess the brain trust sure didn't want them anywhere near this program. They were told to no longer report. I will not give names but its a fact.

SCJayhawker 3 years, 4 months ago

Bingo. One name released the other not. "A troll looking for attention huh?" I guess we now know who the troll is.

danmoore 3 years, 5 months ago

Before we send Gill packing, let’s figure out why every coach we hire fails. This fire and hire routine has produced 10 coaches since the late 60’s. Only three were not fired and they all managed to find new coaching jobs in spite of leaving Lawrence with losing records. We can fire Gill but in 3 to 5 years we’ll be looking again.

squawkhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

That is a simple question to answer. Simply put, we consider ourselves a BB school, in a FB conference. No good coach will come to KU under these circumstances, and they aren't about to change. The reality is this...no coach will ever have longevity here and no coach will have sustained success here because the fans simple don't want it. We'd just rather say, "just wait until BB season". With that mentality KU will never get a big name coach to come here and will have to hope they they get an unknown and unproven gem like a Bill Snyder.

danmoore 3 years, 5 months ago

You might be right. During the Ted Owens era K-State and KU were neck and neck in the Big 8 and the Wildcats had the worst football program in D1. As Snyder improved the program the b-ball team declined. Not very many schools can sustain winning football and basketball programs.

cool_beans 3 years, 5 months ago

I say get rid of the d-coordinator and get Mike Stoops for the position

Pitthawk34 3 years, 5 months ago

The problem is that most tough nosed good defensive coaches at times will cuss. Mike Stoops and Gill just would not work out. This team is soft because our coaches are soft. Just my opinion.

Nic Andrews 3 years, 5 months ago

and get rid of Chuck third-and- Long while we're at it.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 5 months ago

It's so sad that this team is historically inept. I went back and watched the highlight tape from 2003 and while that wasn't a great team or anything, they had a ton of fight in them. I just don't see that with this team at all.

Hammertoe 3 years, 5 months ago

I want to make $2 Million a year to suck. I couldn't do any worse....

Geekinout 3 years, 5 months ago

I apologize to this staff for violation of the usage agreement :) Just watched the T.G. show. He still had that blank emotionless look on his face though.

Kirk 3 years, 5 months ago

KU needs to stop hiring mediocre (at best) football coaches. Mason and Mangino were positive for the program, but we followed them with terrible coaches.

KU needs to continue investing in football. The facilities are a great start. So is the head coach's salary.

Now it's time to make a coaching change that's not based on political correctness, or on replacing a mean guy with a nice guy. We need to bring in a winner and show him maximum support and commitment.

KU had the right idea in all respects except the biggie: Don't pick a 20-30 from Buffalo. Pick a great assistant who's learned the ropes from a great head coach, or pick a great head coach with a winning record.

Ben Kane 3 years, 5 months ago