Originally published October 30, 2011 at 06:26p.m., updated October 31, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Kansas guards Tyshawn Taylor, Elijah Johnson will miss KU’s two exhibition games for violation of team rules

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor talks with media members about his thoughts on defending the Illinois guards on Saturday, March 19, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Kansas University guards Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson will not participate in KU’s two exhibition basketball games for violating a team rule during the offseason, coach Bill Self announced Sunday night.

Self did not reveal the rule that was broken.

The two are slated to miss Tuesday’s 7 p.m. opener against Pittsburg State and a 7 p.m. contest on Nov. 8 versus Fort Hays State. Forward Thomas Robinson, who suffered a hyperextended left knee Thursday, is listed as questionable for the Pitt State game, leaving KU with five recruited scholarship players possibly available for duty.

“Tyshawn and Elijah have both been terrific since school began in August,” Self said Sunday. “They’ve not only performed well, they have been very responsible and disciplined the first few months of the school year. But during the offseason they violated a rule that I told them, because of some past experiences, their punishment was going to be severe and I was going to hold them out of the two exhibition games. They have been aware of this for several months and also are disappointed, but have had very positive attitudes about it.

“I will not comment about this further,” Self added. “Losing two players and Thomas (Robinson) being questionable for Tuesday’s game probably changes the look of our team as much as anyone in the country. This gives a chance for our young guys to play under the lights and see how they react.”

The recruited scholarship players definitely available for Tuesday’s game: freshmen guards Naadir Tharpe and Merv Lindsay, junior forwards Travis Releford and Kevin Young and junior center Jeff Withey. Former walk-ons/current scholarship players Conner Teahan (guard) and Justin Wesley (forward) also are available for the Pitt State game, as well as walk-on guards Jordan Juenemann (senior), Niko Roberts (sophomore) and Christian Garrett (freshman).

Taylor, a senior from Hoboken, N.J., and Johnson, a junior from Las Vegas, each were suspended two games a year ago. They will be available for the regular-season opener against Towson on Nov. 11.

No contact: Robinson, a 6-10 junior from Washington, D.C., who was injured Thursday when two teammates collided into him as he chased a loose ball, participated in noncontact drills at Sunday’s practice.

Pitt State has veteran team: Second-year Pitt State coach Kevin Muff welcomes back the Gorillas’ top four scorers from last year’s 13-13 team. Senior guard Eric Ray averaged a team-leading 12.2 ppg, followed by senior forward Eric Marshall (9.8 ppg), senior forward Andra Bailey (9.2 ppg) and junior guard Courtney Ingram (9.0 ppg). The 2010-11 Gorillas were picked to finish fifth in the 12-team Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association by the league coaches and seventh by the media.

Taylor rated 11th: Taylor is the No. 11-rated point guard in college basketball according to ESPN analyst Jay Williams. North Carolina’s Kendall Marshall is No. 1, followed by Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin), Tu Holloway (Xavier), Myck Kabongo (Texas), Marquis Teague (Kentucky), Ashton Gibbs (Pitt), Josiah Turner (Arizona), Aaron Craft (Ohio State), Maalik Wayns (Villanova), Scoop Jardine (Syracuse).

Comments

HawkNVegas 2 years, 5 months ago

Can some anonymous poster please come make an excuse for the action of Idiots? Oops, you've already spent most of Your Day doing just that. Bill Self should blame, Himself and nobody else. If you recruit people with quote unquote "character issues" then guess what happens, they get suspended repeatedly because we take care of our own if they bring money into the program. Sad but True. Not being a Lawrence resident I can see what the Douglas County for life people say every, single time one of their idols gets in trouble. Look at these boards. If I really even cared to I would put the Entire Program on blast for the preferential treatment of the money boys on the team. I don't care, and won't care. They won't win a title and it's because we recruit people who do this, or do like the genius twins who can't play until next year. Come on Trolls flame me all You want, I won't be back to read any response and I don't care to post until the next incident not so I can say "I told You so", but rather Can You Hear Them Now? Wake up to reality Kansas Basketball is as only as good as it's weakest link, and our whole chain is Weak.

Jdunk 2 years, 5 months ago

Anybody know if tomorrow nights game will be streamed on internet?

SCHNBALL 2 years, 5 months ago

High Elite, I often wonder is Self considers the recruiting process in college so bad now that he might opt for the NBA sooner rather than later?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

I have said this a few times here .. why debate Kentucky fans? They're not our enemies, and neither is Calapari. Kentucky is a great basketball school .. an elite, top 5 program. But so are we. I have great respect for Kentucky, and Duke, and NC.

Calapari is a terrific coach. He would just never be hired at Kansas. That is not a slam on Calapari or Kentucky. There is no doubt that Calapari is not coach Self, and vice versa. Different approaches to the game, recruiting, etc.

But I would always caution on moralizing .. college basketball recruiting is a sleazy business. And much of it is a matter of degree.

UKALLDay 2 years, 5 months ago

Okay...lets address this Cal stuff once and for all. UMass, Marcus Camby accepted money from and agent and Camby says he did it without Cal knowing. If you want to call Camby a liar thats on you but he said it. UMass was punished for what CAMBY did not Cal.
Memphis, Derrick Rose was cleared to play by the NCAA so....Cal played him. After the season was completed that Rose was CLEARED to play then the NCAA took action for someone else taking Rose's test in high school which had nothing to do with Cal. Rose released a statement through his lawyer Daniel E. Reidy: “Mr. Rose is aware of the allegations reported in the press. Mr. Rose cooperated fully with the University of Memphis' athletic and legal departments’ investigation of this issue when he was a student, and that investigation uncovered no wrongdoing on his part." Cal did nothing wrong. The one thing Cal did do is let Rose's brother travel with the team for free....okay he is the worst person in the world.....seriously. People talk and talk without knowing any facts.

chefmattie 2 years, 5 months ago

When it rains it pours...and pours some more. Tarczewski committed to Arizona today.

SCHNBALL 2 years, 5 months ago

ukallday- you showed your class in your own statement, you don't care what Cal did before he came to Kentucky, a typical response from a typical Kentucky fan, zero class. As for our coach, he has not had to pay back any school or forfeit any games. Tyshawn, I called this 2 weeks ago when I said I did not believe all of the maturity stuff when I read it, this kid is simply not a leader, and unlike ukallday, I would suspend him for a meaningful game, just for the pure number of incidents, or should we just close our eyes like ukallday and say it happened before the season!! Keegan, go find out the story behind the story and tell us what rules were broken, if you can find the guts to actually investigate. UKallday- go find a table at Porcini and you can invite your old coach (probably already there) and Cal, you call all sit around and talk about all of the classless programs in the country. Oh, I forgot they don't let bums hang out on Frankfort Avenue anymore.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

Please half these people on the comments probably did stuff in college that if they were a d1 athlete, would have gotten you suspended. Its not like they broke the law(well as far as we know) for all we know, they could had went to a party, got drunk and got caught. I personally have never seen a handbook on Bill Selfs team rules, but if there is one out there for purchase, please inform me.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 5 months ago

These guys need to show their leadership with some maturity. Tyshawn and Elijah must also realize that such actions are selfish and knock them down a notch in the draft heirarchy (ie less money).

William Blake 2 years, 5 months ago

This story shows the situation we are in this year. We need everyone to be healthy and play by the rules or we will have games where we are down to just a few scholarship players left to play. Then add in potential foul troubles....

That said, this is a good opportunity to give big time PT to players that will need the experience for down the road.

iamakufan 2 years, 5 months ago

"Anthony West, a 6-foot-6 sophomore from SM East, is practicing with the team but has not yet been officially added to the roster."

So, are they trying to sign another scholarship player, perhaps for second semester?

jrbill67 2 years, 5 months ago

When Taylor was a freshamn I thought he could be the best guard to ever play for KU. Then he began his multiple violations of team rules, coupled with inconsistent play on the court. If Self is counting on him to be a team leader, the Jayhawks are in trouble this year because he can't hold it together on or off the court for more than about 2 weeks at a time.

UKALLDay 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, Well, Well......another KU mishap. First it's not getting your freshman players eligible (which 2 are sitting and poor Anderson had the transfer...smart move!!) and now your current players are getting suspended.....Houston we have a problem!!! When is some of the blame going to rest on coach Self? When are you guys going to hold him accountable? I know by the replies I am going to receive on this the answer is never but it's okay on November 15th you'll have to hold him accountable for the thrashing that is inevitable. And before I get all of the Coach Cal comments just remember I don't care what he did at another school he is clean at Kentucky.....too bad coach Self can't say the same at KU. Oh and by the way I should thank coach Self for his great recruiting of center Willie Cauley from your home state. He just committed to UK. I guess now we have just as many ESPN 100 players from Kansas as you do.

BigBlueNation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Micky Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

Get your crap together guys.

Have you noticed one common theme in the AD since Gray Little doesn't allow discipline? LITTLE IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR THE UNIVERSITY!

kufankam 2 years, 5 months ago

if we pay attention to Self's tone from his comments, it sounds as though this punishment was more severe than the single violation warranted. the only reason they were suspended like this is based on past occurences. it looks as though their act was probably petty, but the pattern is what annoyed self, so he sent a message. as he stated, they have been terrific since then (which is good). they certainly need to straighten up, but let's not make too much of this...

yates33333 2 years, 5 months ago

This isn't too bad. It gives Self a chance to observe players who otherwise wouldn't play much in a real game situation and against teams that probably couldn't beat KU walkons. The danger is that EJ and TT don't learn from this "discipline." They must realize they are vital parts of the Big Blue Machine. There's no one to carry them this year, they must do the heavy lifting.

Matt1958 2 years, 5 months ago

Tyshawn, Elijah,..............quit it, just quit it. I know you're kids. God knows when I was your age I did a lot of crap I shouldn't have. But you both have a lot of people counting on you.

ParisHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

After browsing through the comments, I almost forgot that EJ was suspended too, and not for the first time. Granted, Taylor has had more and bigger problems than EJ; still, it's clear many posters are just waiting to come down hard on Taylor whereas most everyone is willing to cut EJ a good bit of slack.

Another thing I don't follow is turning Self into Machiavelli, having all these ulterior motives for the suspension. To me, the most plausible explanation for the suspensions is the one he gave: "You've been bad in the past, so I'm drawing the line here and if you cross it you don't play the exhibitions." They crossed, they don't play. Simple.

What's more sophisticated is not going public with the suspension until they had a chance to show a good attitude once school started. Maybe there were additional punishments waiting if they didn't shape up?

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Nothing like opening up a new season with a Super T. suspension.

"But during the offseason they violated a rule...." I mean, am I supposed to be shocked? Does Coach need to clarify WHICH offseason? Does he have that sentence merely on cut/copy/paste for quick replies?

This 4 on 5 scrimmage against Pitt State might get interesting.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

You said it, Aloha. Call me crazy, but I think music should actually have some basic things like, you know, a melody.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Looks like Cal Lie Pari will have just 4 days (not 2 weeks) to prepare for KU, since the Towson game is the 11th and KU meets Kenstinky on the 15th. He won't really know a lot about KU"s true starters or Self's offensive scheme for the game in The Garden since 2, maybe 3 if you include TRob, won't have played in the exhibition games. Scouting reports could be a factor.

However, my biggest concern has to be how TRob 's injury effects his performance. Come on, TRob. Take care of that injury. KU needs you full strength this season.

Sounds like a lot of today's posters are heavy into rap lyrics, because I wasn't able to figure out wtf was being said or referred to in some of the above posts. That's fine. I never really cared for some of the music from before my teen years, myself. (Although there was some really good rhythm and blues back during the early days of jazz.) And each generation seems to feel the need to identify with their own peer's thoughts and performances.

As for me, rap is for the younger generations. To me, rap sounds like an individual (or group) trying their best to talk faster than they can think. When I've heard someone listening to rap (which IMHO isn't music) it sounds like a bunch of jumbled up words that are said (not sung) so fast I can't make heads or tails of what is being uttered, much less the meaning behind what the rapper is talking about. I'll stick to my generation's "oldies but goodies songs", where I can understand what is said, and relax to the harmony and interplay of voices creating a pleasant flow of thoughts to the brain.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

Cajayfan, you ae joking, right?!?!? You can't POSSIBLY be saying that you expect the basketball team to be even remotely in the same area code as the football team! Are you saying you don't think they'll even make the playoffs, or (God forbid) that they'll end up with a losing record?!?!? Um, there's a coach you might have heard of, by the name of Bill Self. I'd say he's slightly more proven and better qualified in his sport than Turner Gill is in his. And oh, by the way, there's also a preseason All-American on the team named Thomas Robinson. You might have heard of him.

Whenever crap like this comes up, I go back to the poll that the LJW ran before the 2001-2002 season (you know, the one that ended up in the Final Four against Maryland), where, after KU had started the season 3-3, over 60% of the readers predicted that KU wouldn't even make the NIT!!! I thought that was mind-numbingly stupid, but if you're serious about your comment, you make the people in that poll look like Mensa members.

cajayfan 2 years, 5 months ago

I have as much hope for this team as I do for the football team and you fans are wearing rose colored glasses if you think differently. No injuries after looking at history(?) and Tyshawn Taylor as a leader.... please get real. I will still support them as long as they take off their rose colored glasses and realize that just because you go to Kansas does not promise anything, unless you focus and work hard. Tyshawn, focus, really. I better have another glass of fine california wine to buy into that. I am actually looking forward to the Gorillas kicking their butt to open their precious eyes.

Stephan123 2 years, 5 months ago

A couple serious injuries during the season and we are really up against it.

cajayfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Ok, nobody is going to like this but, I hope we lose both exhibition games and may be the fans are a ittle less patient with these two guys than your posts exhibit. Did anyone believe Tyshawn could truly lead....seriously. Time bomb waitnig to happen. Maybe Thomas could tell them what real life has waiting for them when they don't make a NBA team. Team needs them now more than ever, means they are total jerks for screwing up a second chance.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry for ignoring the conversation topic, but I was wanting to put a question to the Jayhawk nation. Do any of you know a site / resource for watching ku bball games if you are not in the states? I am working overseas, and if I miss the lion share of basketball seaon, then I will be heart broken. Anyone know any streaming sites / ways for watching? (beside espn3.com, because it doesn't work over here for some reason...) Thanks so much fellow fans for any advice you have. And sorry for ignoring the topic of discussion...

Theutus 2 years, 5 months ago

The one record TT will definitely be leaving KU with is "most suspensions in a 4 year career".

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

HCBS should sentence them to participate in Turner Gill's next practice. You know that one will be less than fun!

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 5 months ago

Look for Justin Wesley to have a big game if T-Rob is unable to go. Right now, Wesley is farther along in x's and o's than Kevin Young and he is a lot more explosive and stronger than Young at this point. Both of these guys pale in comparison to T-Rob's beastly nature, but Wesley will be a serviceable post backup for Withey and T-Rob during the season.

Man, he can really jump! We're talking elbows above the rim! He slammed home several lobs from Tharpe and Taylor in practice on Friday and Saturday!

Robert Brock 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure that it is a minor item but Taylor is a senior and team leader; he knows better than to do anything wrong. Since he continues to routinely break rules it concerns me.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 5 months ago

Unbelievable! Leaders of our team? Yep, the bench for KU will need to step up. I will be watching Tuesday night to see how the freshmen stack up.

hwtan 2 years, 5 months ago

An in-house discipline is much better than a NCAA discipline. I think coach Self do that lest a NCAA rule is violated in the future.

Jackalope7 2 years, 5 months ago

To be honest, I think Tyshawn and Elijah act no different than any other studs on other campuses. We just hold our players to a higher standard as oppose to other programs. Think about it. It seems every season a player or two is held out of games at the beginning of the year because someone violated team rules. I don't really hear this sorta punishment out of any other programs, except BYU. Makes me think Coach Self runs a tight ship. But I do agree, this cra* is getting very old. Seems like no good news is coming out of Lawrence these days.

drnater 2 years, 5 months ago

Does nobody understand this was something that happened during the summer? How many articles have come out with HCBS applauding TT's work ethic and leadership since then? If he was really in the doghouse he'd be missing a lot more than just meaningless exhibition games. This has nothing to do with his leadership on the court. Also, quoting peoples twitter accounts mean nothing, they quote something that is a hot lyric to anyone that hears it and they quote it. Why is it a big deal? Im not from the ghetto or anything but i've quoted some of the exact same things. It doesnt make you a thug, it makes you a fan. The ultimate failure here is everyone forgetting that they have people they look up to, just as they have fans who look up to them. Reggie Miller was one of the biggest trash talkers in the game of bball and he was loved by most. Michael Jordan was one of the most egotistical bball players ever and he is the face of basketball. Paul Pierce plays with Kevin Garnett, the most vulgar, foul mouthed player to ever grace the game. These are who these players look up to, they tweet the same things as these college players, and yet its no big deal. The only big deal is how much the media has impacted our lives, and how much it makes people overreact to things that wouldnt have been a big deal 10-20 years ago.

flyingfinn 2 years, 5 months ago

My God you are a Senior at a great Universary and still acting like you're on the street corner with the boys in high school. Come on Tyshawn its time to grow up and provide some leadership.

ZDKC 2 years, 5 months ago

squawkhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps the AD will sell tickets for half price now. It won't be much of a show with only a handful of players playing.

NotWiller 2 years, 5 months ago

Releford goes off for 25 + on Tuesday night. Bank it.

cool_beans 2 years, 5 months ago

Jeff Withey is going to have a BIG year

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

As others have pointed out, chuckberry, it's not about what actually happened, it's about the fact that Self found it egregious enough to suspend him, even if it's only for two exhibition games. How could you NOT be concerned by Tyshawn's seemingly endless pattern of screwups, even if they are minor?

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

once again, everyone weighing in with their moral judgements without a clue what actually happened.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 5 months ago

The issue here is that Tyshawn can't stay out of Bill's dog house. It's becoming a recurring thing for him. No one else on the team has had as many run-ins as Tyshawn's had. You would think a senior could grow up a little faster.

Even if it was something small, like barely missing curfew, skipping a class or two, it doesn't matter. The fact is Self has rules and Tyshawn has broken them multiple times. It's kinda ridiculous.

kennethterry92 2 years, 5 months ago

If Tharpe is going to be running the point guard who subs in for him? Does Christian Garrett run point guard or is he more of a off or shooting guard?

Iandhi 2 years, 5 months ago

I think EJ and Tyshawn are taking this twins thing too far. EJ, you don't have to do everything Tyshawn does.

However, I could be wrong, maybe this is how you develop that esp-like ability the Morris twins appeared to posses on the court. Always knowing what the other one is thinking.

As the saying goes, "couples that get busted together stay together".

kennethterry92 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope Tyshawn and Elijah can learn from this and put it behind them. They along with Trob will be our team leaders and help the young guys along on the team

bradynsdad 2 years, 5 months ago

Ready for some rumor fun? I will start this one. I heard self told them that he was going to bench them and that robinsons hyperextension really wasn't nothing bad. Reason? He wants the bench to grow up fast. Remember we have Madison square garden early. He wants to know very soon, even if it is exhibition, who he can count on.

jgkojak 2 years, 5 months ago

Self is pretty good at making lemonade from lemons -

I wonder if he was presented with an "opportunity" to discipline Taylor and Johnson, and thought "you know... I could make 'em run laps... or I could take 'em out of the exhibition games so I can see what else I have on that bench" -

I think he needs to find his 8th man and he's not sure who it is right now- this will give him a good chance to do that.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

We still win by 30+.

Our bench is a lot stronger than people think.

DRsmith 2 years, 5 months ago

Severe? Now that is laughable, unless of course they were just tardy to a class or 2.

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

Randy Glenn 2 years, 5 months ago

This will give all the guys playing time in kind of a real game-we are going to need everyone to step up this season and I know they will.

milehighhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

So who are the starting five?

Tharpe Teahan Releford T-Rob (or Young) Withey

Steve Jacob 2 years, 5 months ago

Suspended for preseason games, that is a joke of a punishment. But it sounds like a lot, so win-win for Bill Self.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

A bar scene or twitter: precisely my thoughts. Some guys never learn. If I were an NBA scout, I would have a tough time passing positive judgment on Taylor. His leopard spots are bone deep. A terrific talent, but a perennial screwup. Come on, Naadir, seize the moment to establish yourself as the looming heir apparent to grab that starting point guard spot the next time Tyshawn falters!

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 5 months ago

Not sure what to make of this, but it certainly isn't good.

I follow Tyshawn on twitter, and he always seems to have odd, off-putting tweets that make me wonder about his character sometimes.

"y'all desire to be liked and fit in and I'm destined to be me and stand out" "Chicks that gossip are bad .. Dudes that gossip are the worse ;;" "getting ready to throw the towel in on a few situations" "STOP RUNNIN BACK TELLING PPL WHO DON'T FOLLOW ME OR HAVE A TWITTER WHAT I TWEET ;;"

I guess I violated that last one. Anyways, my point is, I find myself questioning Tyshawn's character a lot. His multiple team rules infractions aren't helping his cause. I hope I'm wrong, though, because we definitely need him to be a leader on this team. Getting suspended is not leader-like.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 5 months ago

Ain't no fun if a homie can't have none

Woody Cragg 2 years, 5 months ago

OK insiders, whatsup on the scoop?

Woody Cragg 2 years, 5 months ago

Well whiskey, tango, firefox! This could be great to give others some much needed minutes, but not the preferred option to obtain them. Surely not bar-hopping or twitter. These guys would never do that.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

TRel should be our top scorer in these two games now. Withey will be a close second, though.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 5 months ago

i can see it now....our first loss in an exhibition game to one of the two Div II schools we now play every year.

the season hasn't even really started yet and our depth is past the concern stage....it's the whole story.

i really can't see this year as anything but a struggle....it could really be a long year.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, we really cant have any more of this.. pitt state actually has a chance now!

Katy Shaflestad 2 years, 5 months ago

Really don't see this being much of a big deal. It is indeed a good chance for our freshman to step up.

gerald_bostock 2 years, 5 months ago

hopefully this gives incentive to the younger guys to step up

bradynsdad 2 years, 5 months ago

So we have five guys available for the exhibition game. Hope we don't look like Arizona.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't Tyshawn Taylor seem to have a habit of violating "team rules" ?

nothingbutbasketball18 2 years, 5 months ago

Well at least it's only the exhibition games...

pepper_bar 2 years, 5 months ago

"Bill Self" and "disciplinarian" are not really words that have ever belonged in the same sentence.