Friday, October 28, 2011

Kansas ranked No. 13 in AP preseason poll

The top 25 teams in The Associated Press' 2011-12 preseason college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, and total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote.

1.) North Carolina (62), 1,620

20.) Texas A&M;, 357

21.) Cincinnati, 353

22.) Marquette, 335

23.) Gonzaga, 283

24.) California, 230

25.) Missouri, 139

Others receiving votes: Florida St. 131, Michigan St. 128, Temple 69, Washington 44, New Mexico 33, Butler 25, Texas 21, Villanova 14, Creighton 12, Purdue 10, Belmont 8, Drexel 8, UNLV 7, Saint Mary's (Cal.) 6, George Mason 5, West Virginia 4, Long Beach St. 3, Miami 3, Harvard 2, Illinois 2, Marshall 1, Minnesota 1, San Diego St. 1.

*Big 12 Conference teams in bold

Comments

Steve Brown 5 years, 5 months ago

more important where you finish than where you start.

nuleafjhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

you're 100% right, lighthawk, but it struck me funny because of how many teams would love to be ranked 13th to start the season, yet it's a little bit of a downer for KU fans.

We're spoiled! And I love it.

mae 5 years, 5 months ago

Forget classes for a bit Tyshawn, just do what you do best. We will always welcome you back to finish up later.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes.. Tyshawn should focus on playing good games and he won't need any degree after that (drafted into NBA).

justinryman 5 years, 5 months ago

Wonder where UCONN will be ranked next preseason when they may not be able to play in the NCAA tourny due to their poor standards in graduating student athletes???

mae 5 years, 5 months ago

On the same token, wonder where we would be without walk ons and bench players?

FlJhawk08 5 years, 5 months ago

was that a comparison between student athletes performing poorly in the classroom to lack of depth? I'm confused.

mae 5 years, 5 months ago

Imagine a team with assisting coaches manning for the paint, collins for the guard and maybe tyrel on the long shot.

jgkojak 5 years, 5 months ago

Remember the frustration we always had in the NCAA Tourney that these 6-7 player deep mid-majors get 3 minute, frequent time-outs and more time at half-time, essentially neutralizing our greatest strength - depth?

If we only play Taylor (sr), Johnson (jr), Releford (jr+), Robinson (jr), Withey (so+), Young (so+) and Teahan (sr) we have one of those teams that, given enough breaks where we don't have to spell off the bench for fatigue, we can play with anyone - and we'll have the Sr. Leadership to do it.

I'm guessing we mop the floor w/KY early in the season.

Ian Brown 5 years, 5 months ago

Not a big deal, but I thought I would point out that Withey and Young are juniors, not sophomores, which even further strengthens your point. Also, I think we're going to see quite a bit of quality minutes out of Naadir Tharpe. I'm not sure if you just forgot to mention him, or if you omitted him to make your point about all our upperclassmen who will be playing this year.

I don't think we're going to mop the floor with Kentucky. Whether we hate them or not, and as hard as it is to admit it, they do have a very good basketball team this year. However, I do think that by seasons end, barring any significant injuries (which nearly happened yesterday), we will have a really good basketball team.

jgkojak 5 years, 5 months ago

Well- I think the point is that without any of our freshmen, we have a great team, who will probably have enough poise to take out teams like KY or AZ who are young, especially early in the season.

We'll probably lose a few more games (5-7 loss season) than we're used to, but come Tourney time, I think we'll be darn good - our 2008 team was really 7 players playing in the Tourney.

Releford = Robinson Taylor = Mario Releford = Rush (I actually think Releford may be surprising this year) Robinson = Shady Withey = Cole Teahan/Young = ?????

We're missing our Sherron and our Jackson - Tharpe could be our Sherron.

Jabez Harlan 5 years, 5 months ago

Insert Wesley for young. He is much better at this point than young.

middleoftheroader 5 years, 5 months ago

41, which is higher than Missouri will be in the final poll.

Scott Smetana 5 years, 5 months ago

Why is Mizzery rated? I don't remember any talent on their team and new ex-con coach looks to suck.

Ben Kliewer 5 years, 5 months ago

Well this is dumb. Of course the Big East has the most teams in the top 25 (seven), four of which are in the top ten. But there are no Big 12 teams in the top 10...come on Big 12, we're supposed to be the premiere bball league now that we got rid of Nebraska and CU. We're still tied for second most teams in the top 25 with...the SEC?! Both the SEC and the Big 12 have four teams in the top 25...unless you count A&M and Mizzou as SEC teams already, which means the Big 12 has two teams in the top 25 and the SEC has 6.

I hate the SEC...

For those of you who don't want to count...

The Big 10 has three teams in the top 25. The ACC and the P12 both have two teams, and the WCC and CUSA each have one.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

Last time I checked, there are no trophies for pre-season rankings and NCAA Tournament seeds aren't given out in advance. Patience, my son!

chriz 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, although last time I checked, we had a crappy basketball conference with an unimpressive showing in the Sweet Sixteen. Let's not get too excited about ourselves. And when was the last time anyone in the Big 12 besides Kansas was in the Final Four?

chriz 5 years, 5 months ago

EXACTLY! We are gonna be fine this year. You nailed it on the head: these kids are going to have an opportunity to play through their mistakes. We get to show off our athleticism with all of our starting five, and considering that most of them are upper-classmen, I'm surprised they're not ranked higher. I don't think we'll have NEARLY as many turnovers and boneheaded plays as many of you think. Elite Eight this year, at least.

Jackalope7 5 years, 5 months ago

I've said this once and I'll say it again. Everyone likes to give the Big East credit cause they have a lot of teams in the Top 25 and the get the most teams in the Big Dance at the end of the year. Well, if you are a Basketball Conference and you have 17 teams in your league...you better have the most teams in the Top 25 and the most teams in the Big Dance. I'll never consider this an amazing feat. I'd be more amazed if they didn't have the most teams in the Big Dance.

buffhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

I hate to say this, but I am not feeling this team at all. The star players we have is inconsistent Tyshawn Taylor and we do have proven Thomas Robinson. We do not have depth like we did years ago. I see us struggling at some point. Then I would be surprised if the Hawks ended the season #13 or better in the nation.

andersonalex 5 years, 5 months ago

I very much agree. I'm actually worried that this could be the year we lose our streak for making the tournament. I don't think we're top 25 to start the season. I'm just hoping we'll be there by the end.

Scott MacWilliams 5 years, 5 months ago

Not make the tournament?? Hold on chicken little, let me get some duct tape and JB Weld for your sky...

Last I heard, we still have plenty of good players and the best coaching staff in the country, as far as I'm concerned. This may not be a Final Four team, but we'll win plenty of games and play on into March.

Frankly, I'm excited to see a KU team that ISN"T loaded with so many ace players that we're all worried about PT, the currency of the realm for those young men who are putting in the LONG hours at AFH. These guys know that they are going to have to step it up, and I for one think that they are ready.

I LIKE being ranked 13 to start the season. Let folks think that we can't do anything, just a bunch of leftovers - who are going to rip some wood on their way to the big dance.

ROCK CHALK, ALWAYS AND 4EVER!!

Alex Wishart 5 years, 5 months ago

Anyone else think that being a little light in the ranks is going to be great for next years team? I know it's a little far sighted but I love that all these reserve type guys are getting big minutes this year. This is he kind of year that makes the Sasha Kauns and the Darnell Jackson's of the world. I say "rock chalk" to this years team! As for how they'll end up... I think HCBS is spot on in saying that it ALL depends on how good TRob can be.