Thursday, October 27, 2011

OU ‘confused’ by Big 12 Network plan

— Oklahoma officials say they don’t understand how a proposed Big 12 Network could work considering that Texas already has an independent channel and the Sooners are working on one of their own.

University president David Boren told the Associated Press on Wednesday that Oklahoma still plans to form its own network and that he was surprised the Big 12 went public with the consideration of a conference network. The same third-tier television rights control what would be aired on either a school’s channel or a conference channel.

Oklahoma intends to keep those rights — just as Texas has in creating its Longhorn Network through a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN.

So how could the Big 12 form a network without its two most powerful programs?

“I don’t know because I don’t see quite how the conference network would work,” Boren told the AP. “I’m confused by that myself.”

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said he, too, was caught off-guard when the Big 12 announced Monday that there were discussions by the league’s board of directors about creating a “conference dedicated TV network.”

“I really don’t have the information to support why they made that statement,” Castiglione said, noting that athletic directors weren’t part of the board meeting. “It has not been broached, or at least not recently.”

“Maybe they’re trying to build a consensus or excitement and anticipation,” he added. “I don’t know.”

If recent developments in the Big 12 have shown anything, it’s that the conference — which has had its membership in flux for the past year and a half — still seems to be in a state of confusion.

“My understanding is that schools that have their own network, such as the Longhorn Network, that would continue to exist and that the other schools would just bundle their third-tier rights collectively and form their own channel representing multiple institutions,” league spokesman Bob Burda said.

Many of the league’s schools, including Oklahoma, already air their third-tier programming on the Internet or on television — just not on a network dedicated solely to one school. That includes games from football, men’s basketball and other sports that aren’t picked up through the league’s contracts with ABC/ESPN or Fox Sports.

“Well, a conference network is to offset the Longhorn Network. But I saw the Sooners, I saw where they said they’d do their own network,” Oklahoma State booster T. Boone Pickens said.

“I don’t know how this thing is going to turn out.”

Boren said that Big 12 schools are in the process this week of signing and sending in their agreements to provide the conference their grant of television rights — a move that would allow the league to keep a school’s television revenue even if it leaves for another conference.

Comments

manginorhO0lz 5 years, 12 months ago

Just kidding. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 12 months ago

Who cares!! Tell me when it is done! I am getting tired of this fiasco of a conference at this point.

nuleafjhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

I don't know the percentage of female posters that are on these boards, but they should be flocking here daily.

This has got to be better than any TV Soap Opera.

Apologies to any of you gentlemen that also like Soap Operas.

Sean Rodger 5 years, 12 months ago

Guys shouldn't openly admit that they like soap opera's anyway, or watch for that matter. LOL.

Carter Patterson 5 years, 12 months ago

What OU and UT don't realize is that there individual efforts will fail miserably. No single school and support a channel. The rest of the league is bigger than the two of them. We are not talking about Football here...we are talking baseball, volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming, golf, etc.

blackhawkjayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

Not sure why OU is confused. The conference wants to develop a network. If OU and Texas want to develop one, so be it. Am I missing something?

June Jones for KU coach.

JayDocMD 5 years, 12 months ago

Since Mizzery appears to be leaving, Oklahoma is trying to lock up the title of next conference media whore. First they upstage Deaton's conference when he was the voice of the conference, and now this. You'd think after they got schooled by Larry Scott they would have learned.

The OU administrators need to learn to ask these questions internally. All this does is make everyone in the conference look bad and (if possible) even more dysfunctional with impotent leadership. Potential replacements cant be impressed by this.

texashawk10 5 years, 12 months ago

Remember where Joe Castiglione was at prior to Oklahoma. That's all you need to know about why OU is acting like they are.

HawkDigestCom 5 years, 12 months ago

My desire to get away from the OU/UT clown parade has officially eclipsed my capacity to construct rational plans for KU's future. At this point, I'd be tempted to take an offer to the Sun Belt.

iluvdbskxjayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

i would definiteli support big 12 network! I will buy it to support ku and kstate. i want to see all their games. i won't subscribe to LHN or OU's network.

ahpersecoachingexperience 5 years, 12 months ago

I think OU and UT are finding out they are not as big and bad as they thought they were. If UT is struggling to gain traction with it's network there is no way any cable company is going to sniff an OU network.

On the other hand, a network composed of the remaining big 12 schools would reach far and wide. The combination of all of the schools would reach every major Midwest city and those in Texas. Could you imagine the big12 network being carried in Dallas and not tln or ou's network? Priceless!

Dyrk Dugan 5 years, 12 months ago

this latest "confusion" and the WVU/Louisville senators getting involved with their states' schools is really making the Big 12 look bad.

just more fuel to the fire..and Moo fans can say "see? utter chaos....we should be outta here."

there's a book out of all this...somebody has to write a book. and it needs to come from the UT perspective.....the title...."SWC and Big 12: the story of two leagues that blew up; and our role in that."

or something like that.

Robert Brock 5 years, 12 months ago

Maybe all those National Merit Scholars (that Boren likes to mention in OU ads) can help the old boy out a little.