Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Danny Manning runs walk-on hopefuls through drills

What kind of challenge will KU pose?

Players from around the Big 12 Conference weighed in on the biggest challenges the Kansas basketball team will pose to their team.

In all, 17 basketball players — ranging from 5-foot-5 to 6-foot-7 — flocked to Allen Fieldhouse on Tuesday night for Kansas University walk-on tryouts.

The hoops hopefuls ran through drills, scrimmaged and conditioned under the watchful eyes of KU assistant coach Danny Manning, who led the 1-hour, 40-minute session.

“The guys came out and tried extremely hard,” Manning said. “They put forth a great effort, paid attention and listened. They are not in particularly great shape, but they went out and they tried.”

They were told what they should expect as non-scholarship players during a pre-practice huddle.

“I wanted to be as real as possible with them and let them know, ‘You are not going to come out here and make our team through this walk-on process and all of a sudden start averaging 20 points a game and getting 15 shots a game, so get those visions out of your head,’” Manning said. “‘You are here to be a member of our scout team, a practice player to play defense, to play with effort and energy, to compete, have a great attitude and be ‘no maintenance.’’’

Some of the athletes — no names were available — were former high school players; others had competed at the junior-college level.

“I consider them all members of the University of Kansas student body. That’s the only requirement,” Manning said.

KU coach Bill Self watched most of the session.

“Our numbers are down a little this year in terms of depth (13 players first semester, with Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor to practice second semester). He wanted to come out and look at the possibility of adding someone to the walk-on process,” Manning said.

Self conceivably could invite one or more of the players to participate in practice in coming days to assess their skills and attitudes further. There will be no additional official tryout sessions.

Graduation rate high

KU’s men’s basketball team’s graduation success rate leads all hoops programs in the Big 12 Conference, according to statistics released Tuesday by the NCAA.

Men’s basketball’s latest four-year graduation success rate, which includes the incoming classes of 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004, is 91 percent. The NCAA’s GSR takes into account transfers and others who leave their universities in good academic standing. Other Big 12 schools’ rates for the period measured: Oklahoma State 78 percent, Nebraska 75 percent, Texas Tech 70 percent, Texas A&M; 69 percent, Missouri 67 percent, Texas 67 percent, Baylor 56 percent, Oklahoma 55 percent, Kansas State 50 percent, Iowa State 45 percent, Colorado 43 percent. Colorado is now is a member of the Pac-12 Conference and Nebraska the Big 10.

Six KU teams earned 100 percent GSR grades for the same four-year time — women’s cross country and track, softball, tennis and volleyball, as well as men’s golf. Overall, KU Athletics’ GSR is 79 percent, its highest mark since the NCAA began releasing this information in 2004.

Last May the NCAA recognized KU’s men’s basketball team — plus the men’s and women’s cross country teams — for achieving perfect four-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores of 1,000, a score that places them among the country’s top 10 percent in their respective sports. It marked the second consecutive year those three teams have earned this distinction.

Other figures: baseball 67 percent, football 59 percent, women’s basketball 63 percent, rowing 85 percent, women’s golf 88 percent, soccer 90 percent, and swimming 92 percent.

The APR provides a look at a team’s academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation, providing a measure of each team’s academic performance.

Later this year, the NCAA will release APR rates. If teams score below 925, they may be denied admission to bowl games and the NCAA Tournament. KU associate athletic director Paul Buskirk said KU’s teams were in no danger of falling below that figure.

“I’m proud of the work of our student-athletes,” Buskirk said Tuesday.

Tarczewski update

Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot senior center from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., had a “great” visit to Arizona last weekend, New England Playaz AAU coach John Carroll told Zagsblog.com. Tarczewski had visited KU the previous weekend for Late Night in the Phog.

“He really likes Sean Miller’s recruits and Arizona,” Carroll, said. “It’s a really tough decision for him — two great programs and head coaches.”

There’s “no time frame,” on a decision, Carroll said. “When he is 100 percent comfortable then he will make the call (between KU and UA).”

Ticket talk

KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said the number of tickets available for KU’s Nov. 1 basketball exhibition opener against Pittsburg State as well as selected games during the season number was “less than a couple hundred.” The e-mail sent by KU coach Self to fans informing them tickets are on sale had some wondering whether the Jayhawks had trouble filling the fieldhouse for the 2011-12 campaign.

“This is the same pattern we have seen the past few years. Each time the tickets are gone before the start of the season,” Marchiony said. “We have no doubt the same will happen this year.”

Comments

Sean Doherty 6 years, 1 month ago

I think Tarczewski will go to Arizona, unfortunately.

lothario64118 6 years, 1 month ago

I got the same strange feeling as well. KU is really going to be screwed next year. We're running short on high or any recruits at all. I've been saying all along that Self needs to hire a top, clean recruiter.

Nicholas Cederlind 6 years, 1 month ago

"screwed"? Perry Ellis? Zach Peters? Ben McLemore? Jamari Traylor? Is "screwed" how you say "loaded" in your world?

6 years, 1 month ago

Don't know why this years recruits keep getting added to next years class..basically they have all 'redshirted' due to NCAA rules. So far, the 2012 recruiting class is Ellis and Peters. That's it. I'm not even going to talent or lack of..but including those who are forced to sit a year is disingenuous at best.

Ian Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree with most of what you say, but I believe Kaleb attended Late Night, not the Legends game. I really wish he had attended the Legends game rather than Late Night, though.

texashawk10 6 years, 1 month ago

Sean Miller doesn't have the same list as Manning and Self, but Derrick Williams did become a stud under Sean Miller and Miller did help send a couple of other bigs to the NBA while at Xavier, most notably David West while Miller was an assistant there. West has by any measuring stick been more successful than any big Self/Manning have sent to the NBA so Tarc will be in good hands for development whichever route he chooses to take. I would prefer that route to go through Lawrence with Self/Manning, but at the end of the day, it is Tarc's choice and I have a lot of respect for him not making a spectacle of his recruitment like others have.

6 years, 1 month ago

I mostly agree also..,.but Kaleb has the talent to play here and if he chooses Arizona, he hasn't suddenly lost that talent.

Timmay97 6 years, 1 month ago

I disagree...... I feel that Tarczewski will be coming to KU. It's too much of a good situation to pass up. We will lose Robinson to the draft and Withey will be a senior (I think). There's a TON of playing time to be had as KU will have very little size down low.

He'll be a Jayhawk!!!

Mel Clare 6 years, 1 month ago

Peters is 6'9 and Ellis is 6'8................no size? I do agree that I think he will come here because of immediate palying time..........

Lets hope we land this kid and another shooting guard also.............

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if Withey had a chance to tell him why he left AZ to come to Kansas.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Withey left before Miller technically. Withey was there with all the turmoil at the very end with Lute Olsen. There really was no direction with the program at that time. Miller may have persuaded Withey to stay, but at that time it was too much of a mess........I don't blame him for getting the heck out of dodge.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

235-45 (.839)

Seven straight Conference Championships Eight straight NCAA Tournament Appearances

One National Championship

Someone please help Self. He's clueless.

southwindjay 6 years, 1 month ago

Amen, Amen, Amen, some are becoming too spoiled. Better count your Bill Self blessings.

Do you know how many programs struggle just to make the top 25? Do you know how many programs can do what Bill has done on a consistant basis?

I mean really, count the programs and take a long hard look at what you got.

You can go out and grab the top five recruits nationally like Kentucky and really get nothing and not know who will be on your team from year to year OR You can get guys like the Morris's, Robinson, etc, etc, etc and watch Bill develop them into a great players on a great team oriented program.

southwindjay 6 years, 1 month ago

what's the Polka Hall Of Fame have to do with anything? PHOF!

Posting Hall of Fame.

But I can go with Polka Hall of Fame, if good home brew is being made.

"And uh one, and uh two" --Lawrence Welk

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 6 years, 1 month ago

Amazing... and yet we still have so many "Can't Recruit" or "Can't Coach" posts on this site! Probably by people who think referees control who wins or loses the games!

Great post nuleafjhawk! (-:

Chris Bruning 6 years, 1 month ago

Kaleb, I think, will be a jayhawk!!! GOOD rumors are swirling with our friends at theshiver....go check'em out!!!!

Ian Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

I get on theshiver.com occasionally, so I saw your post and decided to take a look. I didn't see any recent rumors, much less any GOOD ones. Nothing new has been reported since he completed his visit to Arizona besides the information presented in this article (which really isn't anything new.)

I don't know. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but I perused all the forums and there was nothing there besides fans bickering about which school is better and how Bill Self has been struggling to recruit lately. As for actual columns from theshiver, one hasn't been written about KU basketball since October 20th..

So... What rumors did you hear and where can I find them? Are they reliable sources? Are they recent rumors or rumors that were written in posts from 2 months ago? I'm lost.

goshenjhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

ibrown, I believe he is a referencing a thread that was started yesterday on theshiver and has since been deleted. An Arizona fan started it, saying he had legit information that Tarc has made up his mind to choose KU. The only questions left was timing. I would take the information with a great big grain of salt.

Ian Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

I see. Thanks for the update, goshenjhawk.

Marc Frey 6 years, 1 month ago

Since when did AZ and Miller become "great program and coach"?

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Since it became "New" and "Fresh". Kids like things that are different and fresh in their minds. It's the coaches job to sell that possibility to those kids and that's exactly what Miller is doing at the moment.

It's no different than what Self did from 2004-2007 in recruiting.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 1 month ago

Arizona is one of the just below elite level occupied by KU, Duke, UK, UNC. They've been consistently good for a long time. Sean Miller is a great young coach. His work at Xavier was truly amazing for being a perceived mid major. If Self were to leave KU (NOT TRYING TO START ANY RUMORS!) I wouldn't be surprised to hear a name like his talked about as a replacement.

NorCalGuy 6 years, 1 month ago

Why would Miller leave Arizona for Kansas?

Steve Gantz 6 years, 1 month ago

Why wouldn't he want to go to Kansas? Wouldn't any coach who's not in the elite 4 I mentioned?

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

Are you serious??? Have you ever been to either Universities? I have. Both within the last 2 years. The atmosphere @ Arizona, more specifically Tucson, is ridiculously gorgeous. Lawrence is...well, boring. Not putting us down or anything, but the life around here just isn't the same.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 1 month ago

Well I'm a KU grad. But if coaches just picked where it's gorgeous and "exciting" well no one would ever go and coach in a lot of places. Most coaches would much rather coach in a place with a great winning tradition and with a chance to win.

NorCalGuy 6 years, 1 month ago

Probably started around the late 80s, in that, since then Arizona has had more players drafted than any other school. Kind of signifies a decent program, no?

texashawk10 6 years, 1 month ago

Arizona has been the dominate program out west for much of the past 25 years and had the longest streak of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances prior to missing out on the tournament in 2010 in Miller's first season in which he inherited a mess of program that was on it's 4th HC in 4 years which destroyed the recruited and depth of the program during that time.

As for Sean Miller, he's been a head coach for 7 seasons and has reached 5 NCAA tournaments reaching 2 Elite 8's and has never even had a losing conference record. Miller has already restored Arizona back to their perch as being the top school west of the Rockies and will have them in a Final Four in the very near future.

Regarding some above debate about whether or not Sean Miller would ever leave Arizona for Kansas. I don't see it happening on either end. KU would never consider Miller because KU is one of the few schools out there that likes to get their coaches from the KU coaching tree. People like Tad Boyle, Mark Turgeon, Danny Manning or some people from the Roy years like CB McGrath, Jerod Haase along with some other people depending on when the next time KU's job is open will be the candidates. Sean Miller has no connections to KU and his dream job is Pittsburgh so I don't see there ever being mutual interest although I do believe Sean Miller is a top 10-15 coach nationally and would do a great job at KU.

yates33333 6 years, 1 month ago

The question is, who is Carroll? How influential is he regarding Tarc's decision? AAU coaches are allegedly paid advocates. Is Carroll?

On the surface this report does not look good for KU. I hate to be honest and if a lie would bring Tarc, I got one.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Carroll unfortunately is probably having a pretty major influence in all of this. That part isn't good for KU IMO, but the longer this takes, the better for KU. Just my two cents.

However, I also thought Beal, Turner, Daniels would also be Jayhawks and we all know how that worked out.

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

The longer this takes, the better for KU??? HOW??????? We've been recruiting the kid since his 7th grade year! Arizona just started within the last 8 months or so. I think Arizona's got the upper hand on him. But hey, we can always hope for a 'Withey-type' transfer...just hope he turns out to be a better player, and less injury prone.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Zona has been on him since last summer so It's definitely been longer than 8 months. How about almost twice that!

Well, Turner, York, and I believe Jerrett all committed on their visits or a day or so after the visit with Miller so that is encouraging news to me.

Plus, with everything I have read has pointed to Zona over the last 4 months, but it still hasn't happened yet. With that said, I think Late Night went very well for KU, Self, and staff and they put it all on the line for him and I also think that solidified some of his fears he was having.

I could be wrong, but that is what my gut is telling me from everything I have read. He still has to choose between Zona and KU and whehter it's on the 1st or 9th I do think it's good for KU.

Robert Brock 6 years, 1 month ago

His AAU club, the New England Playaz, was - during the last few years - one of the best teams that I have seen. Carroll can coach.

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

HORRIBLE comparison ralster. I AM a Marine. Basketball practices are NOTHING compared to BT in the Corps! You need to think before you type.

Self/Manning are very good coaching combos, agreed. But the BEST in college basketball??? Not so sure. I gotta say I believe Roy and CB McGrath are the best, having won a National Championship and gone to 3 Final Fours since leaving us.

Ian Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

I hate to quote Stupidmichael, but with regards to the recruitment of Kaleb Tarczewski and the choice that he will ultimately make... I'm scared... Very, very scared.

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

Nice argument but actually, Zona has sent more than just PG's to the league. Ever heard of any of these guys: Sean Elliott, Anthony Cook, Tom Tolbert, Jud Bueschler, Chris Mills, Sean Rooks, Brian Williams, Ed Stokes, Ben Davis, Michael Dickerson, Richard Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, Channing Frye, Marcus Williams, Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill or Derrick Williams? In fact, AZ has sent more non-PG's than PG's. And they're known as Point Guard U?

orbiter 6 years, 1 month ago

are you little weenies the same ones dribbling down your legs before the Perry Ellis announcement? Yeah, KT might not choose us. How many recruits have we lost over the years? Lots. But how many straight conference titles do we have? How far are we removed from a national title? You all must be pleasures to be around.

orbiter,

I am inspired by the coarse, near Drill Instructor-like soundness of your point and delivery.

To be honest, Private jaybate fretted some about Perry.

Sergeant Orbiter, I am going to remove a 5.56 mm slug from a full metal jacket in the clip of my M-16 and wedge it into my urethra as a hygienic cork and do a better job of retaining my bodily fluids.

Sir, yes, sir!

Oops, I'm sorry Sergeant. I forgot. Prvt jaybate is not to address his DI, a non commissioned officer, as Sir.

As part of my apology, Sgt. Orbiter, I will instead separate 50 caliber armor piercing slug from its belt in the platoon machine gun and use it as the private's personal hygienic cork to help proven the private from further waste of bodily fluids, Sargent!

:-)

6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry..like the attitude but not the analogy

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, let's review the facts: 1. Self has recruited Tarc longer than any other coach. This speaks volumes to a kid and his family. 2. Tarc "is" a KU lean or KU's to lose. 3. KU is the best place for his ongoing development. 4. He played with Tharpe. 5. He likes Ellis and wants to play with Ellis in college. 6. Miller comes out of no where and influences this kid's recruiting. 7. Miller gains ground on a kid that is a huge KU lean. 8. He visits zona and likes the recruits at zona? 9. The media is in bed with Miller's cheap trick, Calapari recruiting ways. 10. it's taking way too long for this kid to decide which tells me he's extremely indecisive right now, which is completely normal. 11. A recent recruiting visit a few months ago had Miller on the W Coast visiting his newly signed recruits and Self in Mass visiting Tarc. Yeah, Miller really wants Tarc. 12. Self has pulled away from every big man in the class and is counting on Tarc's decision.

I don't trust Miller and if Tarc goes to zona, there's something fishy about his tactics. He did the same thing with Turner too. Turner was much like Tarc and Miller snatched him at the last minute. He also snatched Chol, who was not too big on KU. But there is something about Miller's recruiting tactics that involves KU. There is a pattern I find extremely interesting. I also wonder if Self has told the KU players (Tharpe and Ellis) to leave Tarc alone too? If so, why?

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Or, Miller is hungry? There's something to be said about somebody who wants to succeed.

Who knows if it's true or not, but Miller has soely been recruiting Tarc whereas Dooley has been recruiting Tarc forever. I don't read into this stuff too much, but it could be a legitimate argument that Tarc was concerned that he didn't know the head coach (Self) as well.

I don't buy this argument much, but you never know.

I think the only fact that we all can really lean on is that Tarc's decision is down to Zona and Kansas and we'll know soon enough what his decision will be.

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

You are exactly right. Miller is too hungry to succeed and this is the temptation for young, immature coaches that will do anything when his butt is on the line.

The situation reminds me a lot of uk and Gillespie. Billy is a much better coach than Miller and I don't think BG would stoop so low as to gain a recruit. He ran a clean program at TAM and uk. He didn't get all the sexy high profile recruits like some but when your coach is running a fair program, it shows in the recuiting trends. Meaning, you don't get top 5 recruits 1-3 yrs in a row.

I have no problem with a coach wanting to win, it's natural. Let's do it without any unusual talk or activity. ; -)

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

I guess you're implying that Miller is dirty? Is that what I'm reading between the lines? Hey, if you have something on Miller........I would like to hear it.

So far, he's run pretty clean programs at Xavier and Zona. At the moment, until I hear something worthy, I think he's just relentless on the recruiting trail.

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

I've got nothing. At this point Miller is one of the most squeaky clean coaches in America. I think he's doing a great job at zona.

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

Same here. All I hear is that he's a BEAST on the recruiting trail. The guy never sleeps!

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't want to get into much, but it was a terrible game plan! Everybody knew the rate at which VCU was putting up and also making from behind the arc in the NCAA tournament leading up to the Kansas game.

Sometimes, you have to change your defensive philosophy. IMO, a team like VCU you guard from 3 point line in and not the usual inside out philosophy.

You also have to consider that a team like VCU is going to be amped, jacked, pumped, high energy, and any other type of descritptive word when and while playing KU when a trip to the Final 4 is at stake.

VCU's luck from behind the arc ran out against Butler! Who's fault is that? I am not sure, but as Self said last year, KU needs to do a better job of preparation with short notice (1 day) in between games.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Recruiting is one crazy animal and it's more crazy than it ever has been with handlers, aau coaches, and agent runners all trying to get their piece of the pie.

I know many are concerned with recruiting and are suspect at the moment with what's going on with Coach Self and staff, but do many of you realize how absolutely hard it is to sustain success? I mean seriously, think about that question for a second.

Anybody, and I mean anybody with charisma, personality, and decent X's and O's with good to decent assistant coaches around them can go in and get a program started and get recruits into that program just like Coach K did, just like Roy did, just like Self did, just like Calipari is doing, just like Miller currently is doing. The question is whether or not they can sustain it over time.

If you look back on Coach K's career he was hungry from 1986-1990 and never reached the pinnacle. He finally got his championship(s) in 91 and 92 and then look what happened to the program? He made one final 4 from 1993-1998 and didn't make it past the Sweet 16 the other years and didn't even make the NCAA tournament in 1995 when he took a leave of absense.

Duke got back to the big stage in 1999 only to lose in the finals to UConn and then won the championship in 2001. What happened after that. One time from 2002-2009 did Duke make the Final 4 and that was in 2004 and the other years? Duke didn't make it past the Sweet 16. That is a long time not making past the Sweet 16.

You can break UConn down after each one of it's 3 Championships since 1999 and find the same trends. UNC, UCLA, and Kansas have all gone through this. What makes great coaches great is their ability to bounce back.

That brings me to Coach Self. His ability to put a product on the floor after the 2008 season is quite remarkable actually. I don't like the fact that we have come up short in the NCAA tournament, but do we as fans realize how hard it is to sustain that success? This is the first time in Self's tenure (Almost 10 years) that recruiting hasn't gone as planned. You know what i say.........who freaking cares? All I know, down years like this supposedly fuel the fire and I expect great things in the near distant future.

It doesn't matter how close the race is between schools for a recruit. All that matters are the players that want to put on that crimson and blue and carry on the legacy and hang more banners from the rafters and hopefully allow them to further their careers professionally at the next level whether that be in the NBA or internationally.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Anybody think that maybe Dominic Cheek (Villanova) or even Michael Snaer (Florida State) are regretting their college choices? Who knows, they may have breakout seasons this year? So far........those two McDonald's All-Americans haven't been heard by anybody in their college careers thus far.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

It is odd how much talent we could have had.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Agreed Ralster! You totally made my point.........the key word in all of that is, "Maybe" Cheek makes noise this year?

Uh, the preseason rankings I've seen have had Nova below Kansas, but in the 15-25 range.

If I'm Kaleb, I'm analyzing it like this:

Women:

Arizona: Sun tanned, scantily clad, gender complements everywhere all season.

KU: Best looking women forced by winter weather to seek constant boldly warmth from best genetic option available during winter months, and sun-tanned, scantily clad, gender complements fall and spring.

Campus:

Arizona: lots of concrete tilt up architecture with cacti.

KU: One of the 5 most beautiful campuses in USA.

Weather:

Arizona: great winters hellish summers. No real fall or spring.

KU: Great fall, great spring, winters like home, summers perfect for water skiing.

Head Coaches:

Arizona: short, fat putz whose greatest connection is Herb Sendek.

KU: handsome, charismatic guy in it for the long term with a record of producing tons of pros, a ring an 84% winning percentage, connected to Hank, Eddie, Larry Brown, and basically any one who is anyone in half a dozen pro franchises.

Assistant Coaches:

Arizona: Pee Wee Herman and John McCain?

KU: Danny Manning, former AA center, one of 50 greatest college players of the last half century, ring holder as player and coach, 15 year NBA big man, acknowledged top big man coach in the game today.

Tradition

Arizona: None but for a brief run by Helmet Hair, before he cracked up psychologically.

KU: first coach invented game. Second coach invented basketball coaching. Fourth coach invented pressure defense. Sixth coach only coach to win NCAA and NBA championships. Seventh coach won 82% of his games, went to four Final Fours, and perfected the secondary break. Eight coach won 84% of his games, 7 straight titles an NCAA ring, is unquestionably the most brilliant
defensive coach since John Wooden, and is the best coach in the game today at masking his player's weaknesses.

Academics:

Arizona: decent middle rank public university dominated by right wing academic development monies.

KU: widely misperceived as decent middle rank public university that is probably among the top 5-10 ranked public universities based on achievement and grants, when indexed for the state of Kansas' admirable Populist legacy requirement of keeping KU enrollment open to all Kansans that can afford it.

So: if Kaleb does not choose, KU the reasons are:

a) he's really, really tired of winter; or b) AAU pimps and shoe whores have gotten involved.

Rock Chalk!

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't stand Coach K, but I do have to admit, I can't fault him for any recruiting issues, except for the Poythress thing. I really think he runs a fair ship. Again, he gets good recruits at about the same rate as Self. He has a really big D1 brand too.

I'm sorry, Calipari stinks and we all know it. His little twin Miller is following the same path.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

What was the poythress thing? Did that have anything to do with Maggette and Myron Piggie?

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

Allegedly, K spoke to him at the wrong time. It went no where.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh yeah! You mean the mix up with the letter of intent and when it was sent or something like that. Yeah, I remember that now. Small potatoes. Any coach in America could have had something like that go wrong.

Just like when Self said "Hello" or something to John Wall. Small Potatoes.

NorCalGuy 6 years, 1 month ago

Alohahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

+1 All good points Jaybate. Hope that KT, that all KU recruits in fact, read what you just wrote.

I've only visited about a dozen universities, but I totally agree that KU's campus surpasses all I've seen. Until a person has been through Lawrence and viewed the campus on Mt.Oread, I believe most people think Kansas University to be out in the middle of vast flat fields of wheat surrounded by nothingness. Sort of like the high school scene in the first Superman movie, where Clark Kent boots the football out of sight. What a wake-up call when they discover that it is just the opposite.

And, it's never enough times to reiterate KU's basketball legacy, from beginning to the present, coaches and all.

CDRoberts 6 years, 1 month ago

That was the biggest waste of time reading. Thanks JackHole.

brooksmd 6 years, 1 month ago

One thing about living in a free country, you are allowed to scroll past what you don't like to read.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

"The Tale of Private CDRoberts and Sgt. jaybate"

CDRoberts,

It is Sgt jaybate to you, my lurking little sissy.

Sgt. jaybate is XTRemely tired of all lurking little sissies tonight, but Sgt. jaybate finds you buck private and latrine orderly CDRoberts particularly annoying.

First, of all, Private CDRoberts, doesn't your gnat for a brain even know which decade this is?

CDR's are completely naught decade, Private Numskull, maybe even last century, you impudent bucket of latrine swag.

Why, Private CDRoberts, your Sergeant wonders if you have a singleton, much less a pair?!

PrvtDVDRoberts, no, I mean Private 33 1/3 Vinyl Roberts, no, I mean Private WaxCylinderVictrola Roberts, why don't you loosen up and at least get an iPod Classic?! No doubt a Nano would overwhelm Private Ghettoblaster Roberts with 21st Century technology, so just start with an iPod Classic in basic white, and hold onto yourself with both hands while you hear the awesome sound of the 21 Century Teen Decade, you ignorant pile of colon chocolate!

Prvt Transistor Radio Roberts, has it ever occurred to you that Jayhawk basketball fans find you a steaming pile of human excreta? Has it Private?

Do you honestly believe that you can surf into Jayhawk nation and act like a brain dead lab animal and get respect and love of the kind every human being needs and longs for?

Do you, Private Bee Bee Balls?

Well, your Sgt jaybate has a little tip for Private Hershey Highway and it is this: You can never be too smart, too well read, too in love with the game of hoops and too polite to the users of this board, if you wish to be treated with any thing but the sort of ridicule and contempt that Sgt. jaybate has just given you a taste of.

Now, Private Dungmeister, get down on the dirt floor of your cave and give your Sgt. 20 on your fingertips with a hot, sweaty Sumo wrestler sitting on your back.

Dismissed.

(Note: All is satire of CDRoberts caustic tone,as filtered through an imaginary encounter with a fictitious character named Sgt. jaybate. It is all in fun and without malice. Do you here me?)

6 years, 1 month ago

jaybate, nicely done but...

Tuscon is a great place to live (based on spending one year there). The winters more than make up for the summers which aren't really that bad. I can remember many summers in Kansas with 90° plus and 100% humidity The campus at U of A sucks (it could have been so much better) but the natural beauty is hard to beat. Canyons, mountains, the Sonora Desert..

And as much as we appreciate the history of KU basketball, unfortunately, most recruits could care less. It's all about playing time and a shot at the next level for most blue chip athletes...

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

I like how the old guy in red, coach, or whomever doesn't even care about who is dunking in the third video. He even has his back turned and walking away on that windmill dunk. LOL!

SCHNBALL 6 years, 1 month ago

Chill, Chill Chill, everyone lighten up a little, new poll question:

Who will hold their conference opponents to lowering average:

a) 2011 KU Football team b) 2011-12 KU Mens Basketball team

jgkojak 6 years, 1 month ago

Gee, I wonder why so many tickets were gone before the season in past years?

And he said it with a straight face.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

~How can the tallest guy among 20,000 students only be 6'7"?

~I don't want KU to come up short handed again. How about BGL starts a campus in Africa and one in China and offers academic/sports scholarships and full transfer reciprocity with KU-Lawrence to anyone in China, or Africa that is 7' or over. End of problem. Self would always have a bunch of footers playing on KU campuses over seas to fall back on, when ever he came up short handed in the paint.

~I want BGL and Shea to stand behind Turner Gill, because it is the right thing to do, and to send a signal to Bill Self that he does not need to leave KU, because the Chancellor and AD are willing to throw a coach under the bus, when it is politically expedient for them to do so. Self is at that age where he has to decide whether to stay at KU, or cash in on his marketability. I believe the balance on his decision will be tipped to leave, if Turner Gill's contract is not honored. Self obviously believes in Gill and believe Gill is trying to do it the right way. In this case, what is decent, what is good for Turner Gill and KU football, is also good for Bill Self, KU basketball and the Legacy.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Regarding footers, you are right to say most. But in a world of several billions of persons, most living in regions of the world still untouched by basketball, I suspect some systematic subsidy aimed at cultivating footers would yield more than enough for KU's needs. Its just a numbers game. :-)

FoCoCoHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

As I was reading the article, it seemed the main thrust was about walk-ons working out with Danny Manning. Yet no one has commented on this part. Sure recruiting is important, but I have a hard time believing NOBODY on this board has fantasies about walking on for a shot at a role in getting the 'Hawks ready for their next game, never mind the very long odds at maybe, just maybe getting a change to throw an elbow or two at a Tiger during Mizzou's last visit to AFH.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

"And Now the Wildly Speculative Alternative Conference Expansion Update:"

MU vascillating, while the forces of political pork work out the Northeast Super Corridor right of way across Fizzouri deal before MU goes to SEC. MU stays in Big 12 if pork big enough. SEC declines MU if Super Corridor alliances in SEC can block MU move. And if MU tries to bolt without a deal, Super Corridor forces might cherry pick UArk out of the SEC for the Big 12 for an alternate, but more politically complicated right of way path. Check.

WVU in. Northeast Super Corridor right of way path. Check.

Louisville soon to be in. Northeast Super Corridor right of way path. Check.

Syracuse and Pitt blocked by Big East from ACC move opens up possibility of routing Northeast Super Corridor not just to Jersey, but all the way into the Triboroughs. Both states needed for easiest, most extensive eventual Northeast Super Corridor right of way path. Syracuse and Pitt may be forced with pork into an eastern division of a Big 12 to enable Northeast Super Corridor. Check.

Rutgers in New Jersey announces it will stand pat waiting for conference realignment issues to sort out, does not even mention Big East as part of its future plans, so Rutgers leaving door open to join obstructed Syracuse and Pitt in an eastern conference of the Big 12 that would complete the enablement of the Northeast Super Corridor right of way. Check.

Maryland still feeling out Big Ten, but could also be a Big 12 possibility, especially if Northeast Super Corridor right of way path denied in Pennsylvannia, by Syracuse and Pitt escaping to Big Ten anti Super Corridor alliance of states. Check.

:-)

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

What about Notre Dame? Those talks are starting to heat up! Chip Brown has been on top of everything through all of this realignment talk.

kushaw,

ND is important chiefly as a time zone add. See below.

The Big 12 requires 4-6 eastern time zone schools to optimize combined TV revenues (football and basketball).

ND does this in spades for Big 12, but not for, say, ACC.

It does it a bit for Big Ten, but it is already in the Big Ten, and needs its own football deal a la Texas.

So, without even reading the link, ND is a perfect add for the Big 12 from a TV stand point.

I do not understand Indiana state politics enough to know if signing ND into the Big 12 would help, or hurt the North East Super Corridor issue. Indiana fronts on the north bank of the Ohio, and the Big Ten states have been stonewalling the north and north east Super Corridor extensions for all they are worth.

The northeast Super Corridor right of way almost certainly has to go up the Ohio Valley.

The north bank has been denied the Super Corridor by the Big Ten coalition of states.

It is doubtful that Indiana would be that helpful, since the powers that be seem to be intending to route it up the south bank.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Frankly, I think Kentucky might be a cherry picking possibility for the Big 12, maybe UArk, too, if Louisville isn't enough to carry Kentucky state government into supporting the northeast super corridor, and if Missouri bolts without cutting a satisfactory deal on running the right of way over to Kentucky through Missouri. UArk is a great fit for the rivalries of the Big 12, but it doesn't do squat for the eastern midwestern mix the B12 seeks, and that is why up to now, UArk jumping, just makes no sense. But if UArk becomes required for Super Corridor right of way, then that could change in a hurry. Clearly the state of Missouri's oligarchy is caught up in enormous complexity. MU helps the SEC's time zone mix and makes MU more money...immediately. But Missouri is critical to the Super Corridor and the Big 12 might conceivably end up a bigger money generator a few years from now than the SEC depending on the eastern time zone adds it can make. Suppose the Big 12 cherry picked Maryland, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Kentucky. That would be an absolutely awesome TV conference...maybe the best of all in the long run, especially if Super Corridor politics could deliver the Pac 12 to an eventual Super Conference.

If you catch my drift.

The SEC is much more vulnerable to breaking apart politically than most persons understand.

The SEC is strong from a TV stand point.

But it has intra regional vulnerabilities to divide and conquer strategies, should the oligarchs decide busting things up down there are required to drive the Super Corridor through there.

But back to ND.

ND is a good add for the Big 12's need for more eastern time zone teams, plus the Big 12's liberal policy on individual Team TV contracts makes the B12 a good fit for ND.

The key here is that there are some really, really big swinging you know whats in the back ground.

There are two axes to this issue.

Axis 1: Realignment to get optimal eastern and midwestern time zone mixes of teams in each major conference. The Big East and Big 12 could not survive intact, because they had inadequate mix.

Axis 2: The Super Corridor forces seeking to force the northeast Super Corridor right of way set limits on what can be done in the name of realignment for time zone mix.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

I was also thinking that maybe NBC sports would like to have a bigger piece of pie in college athletics and Notre Dame and the Big 12 may be a viable option for that to happen.

I mean, anytime a monopoly looks like it's going to happen (ABC/ESPN) somebody usually always comes up with something to halt that progress and promise.

I don't know Jaybate, but as big as Texas' ego has and always be.......they realized they needed their "Midwest" friends in the long run.

It's been 21 years since ND was in the conversation to be awarded a National Championship. That was in 1990 when they beat Coloraddo.

As much as ND loves it's "Indpendence" and it's contract with NBC.......something has gotta give sooner or later. They are growing tired in South Bend and in no way shape or form do I expect them to go another 21 years being an after thought in football. Hey, they can get all the money they want from NBC and their large fanbase............but the product they are putting out on the gridiron is not supporting that theory. They are eventually going to have to do something.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

I would be comfortable adding a third axis of network realignment, also.

We live in an age of oligopoly, because the private oligarchy has invested in reinstituting our economies this way.

It only makes sense that as the conferences realign, eventually there should be a network oligopoly serving the college sports market.

Essentially, that is what is in the offing.

Most other content markets evidence distribution through an oligopolized distributor market.

There are after all only 6 major media holding companies controlling virtually all of the media outlets in USA.

The one thing that almost certainly cannot happen is a truly diversified distributor market, as in lots of networks operating subject to true competiton.

Our economy reserves diverse competition exclusively for consumers, not producers.

Producers are shielded from as much true competition as possible. They are massively subsidized and, if they are compliant with the central bank hegemony, bailed out periodically.

Though certain firms like Walmart, say, act essentially as a buyers union pounding prices down for the masses, mostly consumers are on their own.

From cars to fast food, consumers are at the mercy of oligopoly and it has almost no mercy.

And the asymmetric bargaining power of oligopolies inevitably shears consumers not buying in unions, and results in inexorable upward redistribution of wealth.

The stability of oligarchy--dividing up the carcus among 12 or fewer big players reduces the urge of predation aiming at monopoly--will probably be sought, or imposed down stream in the form of 3 or more networks distributing college football's realigned conference content.

Why?

Because once realignment is done, there will be a lot of sunk costs in the realignment that make all players seek to cement the new status quo.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, the fields of International Relations has generated a robust body of literature and game theory about how institutions can be used to trigger oligopolistic market regimes.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Note: I should have said major producers. All of the small companies are kept small by exposing them to much more competition and much less subsidy than major producers in oligopolies face.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

So, Mascott from the shiver said that KT may be making a decision on the 1st or 9th of November. Apparently, that info hasn't been confirmed with KT or his camp so it's just another rumor at the moment.

Regardless what KT ends up deciding......I hope it's the 1st so the staff can go out and concentrate fully on other recruits.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

"And Now a Conventional Explanation in Terms of TV that Is Mostly Not Being Explained"

Every sustainable conference needs and Eastern and Midwestern time zone foot print, so it can guaranty in a TV contract to provide two televised games a day, or evening, in football and in basketball, one tipping off for the eastern time zone and one tipping off for the midwestern times zone, and the scheduling has to provide matches between teams from each time zone so both games will optimize eyeballs in both time zones at once.

WVU gets the Big 12 an eastern time zone footprint, but one is not a enough.

The key is to add maybe 4-5 more eastern timezone teams, like say, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers.

This would mean that the Big 12 could then schedule two conference games worth televising, one with an eastern time zone start, and one with a central time zone start, capable of holding eye balls in both time zones simultaneously. Traditional intra time zone rivalries that guaranty huge audiences can also be sprinkled in too.

This is the advantage the SEC has right now and the only reason the SEC wants to add MU. It has LSU and UArk and TAM in the Midwestern time zone, but it needs one or two more to always have product with start times in both time zones.

The Big Ten also has this advantage. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana are in the Midwest time zone. Michigan, MSU, Penn State and Ohio State are in the east. They can always guaranty two games that optimize eye balls across both time zones.

The Big 12 is not viable from a TV standpoint, because it cannot do this.

So: WVU has to be added. So do Louisville, and 2-4 more.

Its business.

Post Script:

The Pac 12's strategy is to build up its monopoly of the major markets in the west, and then when the eastern and midwestern time zone conferences finish realignment hold an auction among the three, or four surviving conferences to join with the high bidder to form the unchallengeable super conference that dictates the future of college sports.

There, that was easy. :-)

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Alas, I fear things maybe heading in such a direction, at least toward a crisis over such.

6 years, 1 month ago

When including Kansas Basketball why not a theocracy? I'm sure that many who landed at Mount Oread will claim divine guidance...

Steve Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

ranging from 5-foot-5 to 6-foot-7 — flocked to Allen Fieldhouse

Nate Archibald, Bob Cousy, Spud Webb and Muggsy Bogues. Take the 5'5" guys.

texashawk10 6 years, 1 month ago

Christian Moody was an invited walk-on, not a try-out guy.

Joe Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

I found some videos shot during the drills for this walk-on session:

These are funny.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 1 month ago

So, for a second year in a row, the strength of KUs recruiting class is coming down to the decision of 1 prospect.

After Tarc, who's left to go after? this years class is very thin on back court prospects and KUs missed on all of the ones worth targeting (nino jackson has eligibility issues). in regards to bigs the drop off between tarc and the remaining potential prospects who haved expressed an interest in KU is huge.

I was warning about last years recruiting efforts about this time last year and people mocked me and said i was crazy to second guess self and reminded me how he always landed some big fish in the late signing period. How'd that turn out? its difficult to land big time recruits late when all the big time recruits have already commited early

here i am again warning that the situation we are in recruiting wise this year is just as fragile as last year and if alot of things don't break just right we are going to see a similar outcome.

Even if Tarc does commit to KU I still consider this years recruiting another failure for putting us into this position AGAIN.

SOMETHING IS WRONG, anyone who pays any attention to the world of recruiting can see it. what it is, i don't know. but there is something!

VaJay 6 years, 1 month ago

Please change your tagline to "Chicken Little", or else just go away unless you have something profound to say.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

It's October! I follow recruiting pretty closely and I still think you're crazy! You probably don't see any differences from 2011 recruiting from the previous years of the one and done era do you. Any trends? Anything strike you differently from last year?

1) Last year at this time......why don't you look at KU's roster? It's okay, I don't expect you to give a break down of the roster.

2) Go back and look at when all of the top recruits KU was recruiting "Committed"..............Beal (Year ago this past summer), Turner (September), Pelle (November), O'Bryant (October), Chol (February).

-Hey, if Daniels was a recruiting failure than everybody outside of UConn got punked on that one.

-Even if KU doesn't land Tarc, what else would you like to have seen in Tarc's recruitment? Would you like to see a job for his AAU coach or even cash payment?

You are right about one thing Bennybob, recruiting right now is in a very fragile state with runners, agents, handlers, aau coaches, shoe companies all running the roost and putting schools,universities, and college coaches in awkward positions. It's worse than it ever has been.

With that said, it's still October! Self and staff have done everything they can to lure Tarc to Mt. Oread. It would be disappointing as hell if he didn't come, but hey, that's the world of recruiting. You should know that!

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

I really did think the Big 12 would stay in tact! I know it sounds silly, but Texas' ego is too big to let somebody else possibly dictate their future earnings like the Pac 12 or ACC.

Now, the question mark in all of that was OU! I had no idea what OU was going to do. They really were the other benchmark that was a big "IF".

Whether we all like it or not........OU and Texas are the benchmarks of the conference and we need them. We don't need Missouri!

I do think the Big 12 will learn from all of this and be a lot better than they ever were. Politics and money got the Big 12 off path there for a while, but with the right leadership (A younger Neinas type thinker) I think the Big 12 has many great years ahead.

If the Big 12 can bring in both Louisville, WVU, and Notre Dame.......that would be unbelievable! Magic number is 12 though. Need to get to 12 and get the right 12.

brooksmd 6 years, 1 month ago

What I see, and it is just my feeling, is the Big 12 is not learning from all of this and they are beginning to act like Fizzou. Otherwise they would go ahead and jump on WVU, Louisville and any other quality program and not worry about what Fizzou is going to do. Right now all I would be concerned about with Fizzou is to make sure the Big 12 gets every penny possible out of them IF they get their invite to the SEC. And make sure the door does hit them in the a$$ when they leave.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 1 month ago

Werent Pelle and Chol fall back recruits after Self missed on Nash and Wiltjer?

Self made a late push for them but he was to far behind in the game and I never believed he could catch up when he started so late.

I see the same thing happening again this year, If we miss on Tarc and White, Self is going to be so far behind on who ever he targets as plan B its going to be hard to catch up.

I think he needs to either start casting a wider net and recruit more guys early, or figure out how to improve his chances of signing the few guys he does target.

to answer your question theres nothing more i would like to have seen in the Tarc recruitment, i would just like to see those same efforts put into more than 1-2 guys a year. so if you do miss on those guys your not scrambling to fill your holes like last year.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

A recruiting class with just Zach Peters and Perry Ellis is a success.

But clearly, Self is going to pull in more bodies.

He always does.

But one out of every 8 years, or so, he recruits three that don't qualify, loses one and gets the other two the following year.

I too think Self is struggling a bit with recruiting. I too have been saying so for almost two years.

But it is not something wrong with Self.

It is four fold:

1) Check book recruiting is almost certainly rampant;

2) Negative recruiting and bad PR image from Scalpinggate and Lewgate and the interminable AD search with one rejection by Bubba Cunningham;

3) Accumulating damage resulting from the sports media-gaming industrial complex underreporting KU successes and over reporting KU failures; and

4) blow back from AAU pimps and shoe whores for Self standing behind Norm Roberts.

Self has apparently declined to check book recruit and I am with him. Sooner or later some effective governing body will be reinstated that will resume policing this problem.

Self had nothing to do with Scalpinggate and Lewgate. It is a bad, bad perception problem to have to overcome.

LaJHawk666 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Jaybate,

Usually I scroll past your longer posts because they remind me of the lunatic rantings and writings of the Kevin Spacey character in "Se7en." But I have a question...what do you mean by, "Blow back from AAU pimps and shoe whores for Self standing behind Norm Roberts." I don't know anything about this. I looked up Norm Roberts and his W/L was pretty bad (45% St. Johns). Why is Nike mad at HCBS regarding Norm Roberts?

Also, I really don't think recruits give a hoot about "Scalpinggate," and I don't think a single 17-18 year-old in the country knows who Lew Perkins is, except for, I assume, any possible grand kids he might have. AZ weather and conference stability might matter, though.

I really hope we get KT! RCJH

Ben Simonett 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree jay,

1 year out of 8 is not a cause for cocern. I still consider self one of the best recruiters in the business, but it is clear he is trending downward for all the reasons you indicated.

to quote brad pit in money ball "adapt or die"

self's adaptation need not be pulling out the check book, but something should change because the old car isn't running like it use to.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Self is the only one of the elite coaches that does not have Dick Vitale and Digger Phelps and Clark Kellogg, in particular, but ESPN/CBS generally (with a few exceptions like Jay Bilas) blowing him constantly. This is brutal when the major media is basically marginalizing everything you are doing, including winning a national championship, for going on 8 years. This is longer than the mainstream media has been blacking out Occupy Wall Street.

Probably the most damaging of all is standing by Norm Roberts, who got lynched by the AAU pimps and shoe whores, while at St. Johns.

The AAU pimps and shoe whores are capable of peddling a lot of bad gossip and steering a lot of players away. Since a coach's hit ratio is small to begin with, this really drives up the number of missed recruits.

Add it all up and Self is really struggling.

Any coach that wins 84% of his games, 7 straight conference titles, and a national championship should be at the fat part of the curve on attracting most of those he wants.

Since he isn't, and since Self has gotten any less pretty, less hard working, less persuasive, less charismatic, or developed early onset Alzheimers, any reasonable person has to infer that the four problems I have listed are at the core of his problems.

One might add Selby having a troubled season might also be begin used against Self. Selby getting injured was not Self's fault. And Self sure as heck tried to play him. Selby just didn't want to go on a bad wheel for awhile, and then never really could play well when he decided to try.

All in all, Coach Self is in a rough patch, but he keeps landing good talent and lots of glue players and he is bridging his way through this just as he did when DBlock's Payola infraction and Roy's infractions cost him Kyle Singler and James Anderson and a couple of years of not a full complement of scholies.

Frankly, when you think about what he over came losing Singler and Anderson to Roygate and DBlockgate, he's just a fabulous recruiter.

Any ordinary recruiter would be completely dead in the water right now.

All I can say is watch out for Self what Self hauls in if he ever gets a five year stretch of no calamities torpedoing his recruiting.

Go Bill Go!

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

erratum: since Self hasn't gotten...

Chris Shaw 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow Jaybate! Here's the deal, I don't agree with all of this, but it's pretty spot on, Jaybate! There is some stuff that we'll never truly know because I'm not on the frontline experiencing it first hand, but I've been through it on a small scale in the past and I have friends that are in the profession so I hear things and take it all in with a cautious optimistic attitude.

With that said, I'm going to stand up give you a standing ovation. This is probably one of your best posts I've seen you type over the years.

It also could be that you expressed in words my exact thoughts on this topic with a few minor changes. I truly believe that amateur athletics is in a world of hurt right now. It's the ugliest I've ever seen it!

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 1 month ago

I think Jaybate went with the Energizer Lithium batteries today!

Alohahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

LOL You noticed that, too.

No malice intended.

Alohahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Actually, almost every well known "name" poster from this site over the last year or more has contributed more than normal today. Must be something in the air, or that it's almost BB prime-time, or both. The Jayhawk Nation is in "Code yellow, high anticipation mode".

Or, it also could be, if you're a baseball fan, you're disappointed with the World Series contestants.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey.....that's a low blow!!!...although you're probably right!!

GO CARDS!!!

Paul Mitten 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't really care about some kid who might or might not choose KU and might or might not pan out. What I do care, however, is about our players. I'm very proud of our Jayhawks and their 91% graduation rate. Wow!

REHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Great posts on this thread today, kudos to jaybate, ralster, kushaw and several other intense knowledgeable fans. Is always a hoot, reading the wayward posts of those who drop in to attack with empty shellcasings...watching them go down in flames. I concur that, for whatever combo of reasons, Bill Self is going through a rough stretch at the recruiting aspect of his game. Terrific at plugging holes, he continues to get edged out of landing some terrific talents. However, given time, he and his staff can take athletic 3-star recruits with noteworthy upsides and turn them into eventual highly sought NBA draft picks. I smile with reassurance when schoolkids like Zach Peters, Perry Ellis, Ben McLemore sign with the crimson and blue which they have long cherished. Homestate recruits like Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar can persevere and start on conference championship teams. I spent enough time at the coaching game to come away with complete admiration for the clean efficient job Bill Self has done at Kansas, winning well over 80% of our contests, walking away with so many league titles and that NC. There is absolutely no head coach in the nation that I would rather see at the helm of the Jayhawks. And if my son were a competent big man, no one would I select over Dan Manning to help develop his skills. The Jayhawk Nation is blessed to be guided by our current coaching/training staff!

Tony Bandle 6 years, 1 month ago

Let's review...It's Kansas Basketball...it's special!!

1] It's not losing your job at the age of 60. 2] It's not defaulting on your mortgage. 3] It's not being diagnosed with a serious illness. 4] It's not losing a loved one. 5] It's not a bitter divorce. 6] it's not putting down a beloved pet.

It's entertainment, an expression of joy, commmittment to a common bound of brothers and sisters called Jayhawk Nation, an honor to be part of an honorable tradition........it's what makes November to March so fun.

Whether we get a five star or not, those five banners in Allen are and will always be ours. Enjoy it, Revel in it. Live it.