Friday, October 21, 2011

Big 12 Media Day notebook: Bill Self talks MU again

Tyshawn Taylor gussies up for Big 12 Media Day

Tyshawn Taylor said you won't normally find him as dressed up as he was for Big 12 Media Day on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Big 12 players describe first visit to Allen Fieldhouse

Men's basketball players from around the Big 12 Conference describe what it was like the first time they played in Allen Fieldhouse.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self believes Sprint Center will remain a viable site for the Big 12 postseason basketball tournament if Missouri bolts to the SEC.

“I think it’s overrated on which side of the river the Sprint Center is on,” Self said at Thursday’s Media Day. “I think it’s KANSAS City,” he added, emphasizing ‘Kansas.’ “When I thought of Kansas City growing up, I thought of Kansas City, Kan., even though I know the majority is in Missouri. That’s when I was not very good at geography. I can’t see that as a huge deal, where the building is located. This place will fill up no matter what, with Kansas State and us. Trust me, people will rally around whatever the situation is and make the best of it.”

Self was asked for the umpteenth time if KU would schedule MU if the Tigers leave the league.

“I coach for Kansas, and I care about what our fans think. I’m not sure our fans would care too much, either,” Self said of playing Mizzou. “I’d think they would be very disappointed if Missouri left because it’s good, but if they choose to be somewhere else, I don’t know what we’ll do (in scheduling).

“We don’t poll what people say. If they leave, they leave. Big deal. We don’t want them to, but if they choose to do that, they do. I don’t think we’ll say, ‘Oh, geez, we have to hurry and schedule them.’ I don’t think anybody would feel that way.”

Self said the decision to play MU could be put off five years or so.

“I know one thing ... Texas made a pretty bold statement to A&M;,” Self said of the Longhorns indicating they wouldn’t be playing the Aggies anytime soon following A&M;’s move to the SEC. “I don’t know if we are in the exact same boat as that. We will do what’s best for our program.”

Self did point out if KU and MU played in Sprint Center and total profits were $600,000, the two would have to split the gate. He indicated a home game against any foe in Allen Fieldhouse would net the Jayhawks $500,000, so it’d likely be a losing proposition monetarily to play once a year at a neutral site.

Recruiting: Self said KU could sign up to five players in recruiting this school year. The Jayhawks have received commitments from Perry Ellis of Wichita and Zach Peters of Plano, Texas, and are hoping to land a commitment from 6-8 Ioannis Papapetrou of Melbourne, Fla., on Saturday. He’s down to KU and Texas.

Working out on own: As partial qualifiers, freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor cannot practice with the team until second semester, which Self hopes “will be the first day after fall semester is over and grades are in.”

Self said they could work out with strength coach Andrea Hudy “in a limited capacity. They can be supervised, but not have workouts where you count reps. Other than that, they can’t do anything except academic issues.”

They also can work out in KU’s facilities on their own.

This, that: KU is ranked No. 13 in the country in the first ESPN coaches poll. ... Texas freshman guard Myck Kabongo stopped by Self’s interview table to say hi. “We go way back in our relationship. Tell them about that coach,” Kabongo said with a smile. “It’s not that good (relationship),” Self joked, “because you picked Texas over us (as senior at St. Benedict’s High in New Jersey). This guy is good. He broke everybody’s hearts, though,” Self added jokingly. ... Texas coach Rick Barnes on playing KU twice this year: “I know our fans are excited about it. We’ve always enjoyed coming to play up here because it’s one of the great places to play. You want to win, obviously. We were fortunate enough to do that last year (in Allen). I think it has been and will ever get better with it being one of the best rivalries in college basketball.” Self agreed some of the great games in college basketball in the last decade have been between KU and UT.

Comments

Alohahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

So, after the second semester begins: Will McLemore and Traylor be allowed to travel with the team during away games? Will they be allowed to have tutors and other things, such as eating at the training table with the team? Will they be allowed to participate in everything the rest of the team is allowed to do, except actually playing in a game during second semester?

Just curious. Got to keep their spirits up during their none-playing days. Hang in there guys. Would love to have seen you play this year, and will highly anticipate watching you play next year.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't really know, but doubt they would be allowed to travel with the team. I expect they would get to do everything else once they are allowed to practice. And since they are supposed to be concentrating on academics, they no doubt have tutors right now. No guess about training table.

blackhawkjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Never, ever play Missouri again. Any coach or administrator who schedules them should be fired....including Self.

bradh 6 years, 1 month ago

I'd say that if MU wants to play us that we treat them as a mid major and schedule them at Allen FH. No home and away, no Sprint. We make half a million. Otherwise I'd say no, but I wouldn't fire a coach for playing them.

About the only thing I disagree with Coach Self about is playing at Sprint. If MU bolts, the state of Missouri shouldn't reap any benefit from KU or the Big 12. I live in KC and love the KC events, but if MU bolts KC should be out of the mix, which unfortunately will really hurt KC. That's part of the price Missouri should know they'll pay for being such disloyal, border trash. I voted yes on keeping them in the poll the other day, but I've changed my mind. They're already talking about leaving the SEC if the Big 10 comes calling. They won't be happy until they get to the Big 10.

I liked what one of the girls bb coaches said about scheduling MU. If you're married to a guy and he decides he doesn't want to be with you anymore and leaves, then comes back later and asks for a quick roll in the hay, there's no way that is going to happen.

blackhawkjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Your alternative is a good one. I don't care for Self's comments that he's not going to "poll" the fan base. He came out so strong earlier on this issue, I actually cheered in the car while I was listening to his interview. MU at Allen would be fine.

Also agreed that the tourney needs to move. You cannot reward Missouri's behavior. Many have suggested an arena in the Race Track district - this would be great for Kansas and would allow the tourney to remain in the area.

bradh 6 years, 1 month ago

A stadium in KCK would be a great alternative. I've heard talk about the possibility of roofing Livestrong Park to create such a stadium. It is too bad that KCMO is the perfect setting with Sprint and Municipal within walking distance for the Men's and Ladies Tournaments. I guess they could have the ladies tournament at Allen if the mens tournament was at Livestrong. It's only half an hour or so from Livestrong and its not like our ladies team appears likely to be competing for the title anytime soon, so there likely wouldn't be an unfair competitive advantage.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

SERIOUSLY ???

"Texas coach Rick Barnes on playing KU twice this year: “I know our fans are excited about it. We’ve always enjoyed coming to play up here because it’s one of the great places to play. You want to win, obviously. We were fortunate enough to do that last year (in Allen)."

Not much that I read on this site really ticks me off - but this does. I've always thought Barnes was pond scum, but this takes the pond scum cake.

Barnes should not have mentioned last years game here at all. Every single person in Kansas, Texas and probably America knows WHY Texas beat us at home last year and it has nothing to do with them being a better team than us.

I hope our players read this and remember to thoroughly mop the Fieldhouse floor with burnt orange this year.

Ben Kane 6 years, 1 month ago

eh. we will all remember why, but the rest of the world has already forgotten and the only thing that will stand forever is the score.

I wouldn't get too upset about, I'm sure there will be extra motivation in the locker room for that game this year.

Lance Cheney 6 years, 1 month ago

This is a serious question: why did they beat us last year? All I remember is we had a pretty big lead and lost it.

REHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I, too, have wondered about the more intricate details regarding Ben and Jamari. Will those kids be allowed to afford to hang on this season, esp. this semester? Gary, can you pry into more details? Will be terrific if they can return next season, as both could play major minutes for us in a huge rebuilding year. I would still like to hear more re Braeden Anderson's whereabouts and future plans. The Jayhawk Nation's fanbase invested weeks and months of attentiveness toward these 3 recruits.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 1 month ago

Didn't it say in an earlier article that they were allowed to be on scholarship now, just not to play?

bradynsdad 6 years, 1 month ago

Good to hear that Ben and Jamari are sticking around. They will prove very beneficial to us next year. Why schedule Missouri if theyre not in our conference? I would rather see more games against a Kentucky or duke, and even though I know I probably won't happen, how about north Carolina. Those games would draw much more revenue.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Someone suggested kicking them out, before they leave.

That was a good idea, though too confrontational for bureaucrats.

Why not invite St. Louis University into the conference, and chip together and help finance their building of a big time football program suitable for the Big 12?

Big 12 schools could each pony up a half million, or a million a year for a St. Louis University, football program fund for 5 years, which St. Louis would agree to repay in a long term loan. A huge penalty could be charged for St. Louis leaving before the loan is paid off. The money would be used to help St. Louis U rent the football stadium used by the pro team in St. Louise and to fund marketing, recruiting, practice, travel and scholarship expenses over and above what St. Louis could contribute.

Frankly, I don't give a damn about playing MU, except as it fits into a conference regime. The long rivalry only means something if it means something to both parties. Its like a marriage, once one falls out of love the other should move on. So, frankly, I would prefer playing in St. Louis against a civilized school in a civilized city, instead of going to administer beatings to a bunch of inbred hygrocephalics that prefer mating with relatives and barn animals, in that den of iniquity called Columbia.

This would retrieve much of Missouri's TV market to the Big 12, and make clear to other conferences thinking of poaching the Big 12 in the future that there will be long term consequences to poaching.

danmoore 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe we can get the conference members to chip in and help us build a big time football program too.

"I would also like the Big 12 to begin to think about developing football schools in key markets lost to schools jumping. " +1

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

There is no reason the Big 12 cannot grow its own football programs in Colorado (University of Denver, or Colorado State), and Nebraska (Creighton), for that matter. Denver would probably love to have a D1 college football team, as Stanford has. Bo one supports the Buffs anyway, because CU has no cultural connection to most of the fine people of Colorado. But they would support a high brow school right in Denver with a large fan base and a handy professional stadium to play in on Saturdays. Marketing and a respectable team is all it would take to turn Saturday into nearly as big of a day as Sunday in Denver. No one but ski bums skis every weekend in Colorado, because the lift lines are too long.

St.Louis and Denver would be two major metropolitan statistical areas added right there. If the Big 12 needs eye balls, that's the way to do it.

Neither MU, nor CU, football has a really strong football program. And both are likely to do even worse in their new conferences than in the Big 12, so they are going to be even more vulnerable to a well managed new program competing for eye balls in their new state.

Let Denver U, or St. Louis U, have but five .600 Big 12 seasons in a row, and CU stadium, or MU stadium would be half filled.

In marketing, location trumps everything over time.

Just ask Florida and Florida State if Miami cuts into their eyeballs?

Nor is there any reason the Big 12 could not enter into Eastern timezones to "develop" football schools in other time zones.

In the age of television and the net, audiences can be built. Legacy is important, but as Kansas State, and TCU and Boise State (and KU before Mangino got the axe) prove, good football programs can be built most anywhere and once built, they can attract serious TV revenues and be sought after by existing conferences.

You can't necessarily sell ice to eskimos. But a good cold soft drink? Oh, yeah, they buy that for sure. St. Louis, or Denver, could become decent soft drinks, if KSU could become a good football program. No problem.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 1 month ago

Since Pinkel came to Missouri, they have been cry-baby wannabes who feel that they are the equal of Texas and Oklahoma [they're not], Big 10 quality [they're not] and SEC competitive [and once again, they're not].

They have never gotten over the Orange Bowl snub, are still ticked we actually won it and are totally bummed that they could have had Bill Self but went for Qinny Boy.!!

After this episode, from now on I will carry a jar of my urine whenever I drive through Columbia, MO going to and from Kansas and, instead of spitting, I will escalate my response...if you know what I mean!!!!!

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

A firm, deft, satisfying slap down of gutter trash.

Alohahawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like a good idea to me. I suppose you could add some four letter excrement along with it, but then, it would blend in with everything else and they would probably not notice the difference.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Why can't Braeden Anderson come back?

I liked that guy. I liked everything about him. I liked having a Canadian on the team. I liked typing Okotoc, his home town.

I liked that he grabbed the brass ring and came to KU, when a break came his way.

I feel terrible for this kid.

I would hate for him to have to walk around the rest of his life thinking some vindictive turds on a politicized academic review board ruling out of anger during the furor of conference instability thought he missed his chance, like Roy Hobbs missed his in The Natural. I don't want Braeden Anderson scuffling for years in the bush leagues thinking there was something wrong with him, or that KU has no heart, or that his chance has forever passed him by.

Either Coach Self better get Braeden a ride with Buzz Williams up at Marquette, or with some Okie Baller outside the conference (Lon Kruger would take him in a minute were it not for the politics), or he better leave the door open for Braeden after juco.

I don't want that kid to wind up playing for some scum bag coach.

He was a Jayhawk to me.

He should be again.

We only need so many 5 stars.

We always need a glue big, or two.

If Keith Langford can pay Justin's way, maybe Paul Pierce can adopt Braeden and pay his way to walk on.

I don't want to see him just cut loose.

lee3022 6 years, 1 month ago

Since your comment above, this:

"Braeden Anderson, a 6-foot-8 forward from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, has decided to attend Fresno State University on a basketball scholarship, Anderson told the Journal-World on Friday afternoon."

So he is likely to stay at Fresno State which is a good ending for him. I am glad he has a new place to study and play.

He still thinks of himself as a Jayhawk. Question:

Does his eligibility time-line start this year while he sits out at Fresno State (4 years playing in a 5 year period) or next year when he is eligible to play?

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Good question, but no good answer from me. Maybe someone else?

ltownatrain 6 years, 1 month ago

This is my thing. If Mizzou leaves then I agree only play them at Allen Fieldhouse. No giving them their cake so they can eat it too and then the big 12 should move the tourney to Wichita as they are in Kansas and just built a brand new state of the art 15000 seat arena.

As for KU basketball, I think they will surprise a lot of people this year and man am I excited to see them play..not to mention no more neb or colo snoozers this year we can actually see better games every single week.

Alec White 6 years, 1 month ago

As far as Mizzou goes, well....not many people are concerned where Mizzou goes. Obviously it's a football and money driven move, but what happens when they go from being a top-tier team in the Big XII to bottom dwellers in the SEC. I know they've been in the top 20 pretty consistently the last few years, but does anyone really think they will compete with the Alabamas, Floridas, LSUs, or Auburns year in and year out? I foresee a lot of 7-5 and 6-6 seasons ahead of them...and is making that extra dough really worth getting embarrassed every year? I guess it is Mizzou, so they don't really have anywhere to go but up...

On another note...I think the NCAA is just making up rules as it goes nowadays. So Jamari and Ben can go work out but not have Hudy count their reps? That's a rule? Seriously? So if someone got video proof of Hudy leaning over McLemore on the bench press yelling, "One more rep!!!"... that would be violation of some sorts? What's next, they can join the basketball team but not run Self's high-low offense? If someone has heard of a more ridiculous rule, please inform me...

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate--

"Frankly, I don't give a damn about playing MU, except as it fits into a conference regime. The long rivalry only means something if it means something to both parties. Its like a marriage, once one falls out of love the other should move on. So, frankly, I would prefer playing in St. Louis against a civilized school in a civilized city, instead of going to administer beatings to a bunch of inbred hygrocephalics that prefer mating with relatives and barn animals, in that den of iniquity called Columbia"

After a long layoff from reading the message boards, it is nice to come back today and immediately see this gem. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot when it comes to your rants (no malice intended), but you are almost always to find gold somewhere. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to another season reading your good game insight, tidbits of history and, like the above paragraph indicates, your hilarious, biting wit.

lee3022 6 years, 1 month ago

The future of games pounding on poor helpless mu is up to them. frankly I don't care what they do. They have been a catalyst in conference instability last year and again this year. They are neither loyal or supportive to their conference or their rivals. So m.u., mu.

REHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Good stuff again, jaybate. You are always ruminating just outside the fencelines. Give those league administrators and curators something worthwhile to consider and toss about. I am a Missourian who is sick of this Mizzou debacle re alignment and change of affiliation. Am ready to burn any clothing item which might at one time have even hinted at a family member's support for the Tigers. Is way past time for Brady Deaton and Co. to make a decision, then live with it, one direction or the other. If they fail to commit by Monday, kick their butts towards the Georgia/Florida state line...unless the remaining faithful BIg 12 members can squeeze a few more million in penalties out of them by offering up a patient ho-hum. Their footdragging is turning into a nationwide sports comedy. Good news that Braeden Anderson has landed on his feet, and that he feels warmly toward his summer months and experiences at KU. Nice kid. Rules makers and enforcers sometimes disregard the best interests of their victims. I can envision wry Jerry Wainwright offering up a huge grin and shoulder pats of consolation the next time he and Bill Self share the same space. Probably a verbal zinger or two toward Self's hapless luck with the powers that be who have given a tug to the carpet on which our recruiting staff has tread these past six months. Maybe we will run into Fresno State and Braeden some near year in postseason play.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Mark Twain, Phog Allen, Hank Iba, OakvilleJHawkl, and REHawk and Oak are proof positive of intelligent life emanating from Missouri.

So what happens to so many of the rest of the state?

Maybe those from Misery could tell us.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Dear Myck Kabongo,

We will either lock you down, or lock your teammates down.

Either way we will beat you.