Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Keegan

Bill Snyder has eye for talent

Tim Biere picked KU over Kansas State

Kansas tight end Tim Biere gave his reasons for picking the Jayhawks over their in-state rival.

Study the recruitment of Kansas University offensive coordinator Chuck Long as a quarterback from Wheaton North High in Illinois for a hint at why Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder became such fruitful coaching trees.

Long played in a running program in high school and did not receive his first recruiting call until Thanksgiving Day of his senior year. Iowa, Northwestern and Northern Illinois, then a Division I-AA school, were the only schools that recruited him. He developed into the best quarterback in the nation, a Heisman Trophy runner-up to Bo Jackson.

Fry was the head coach, Bill Snyder the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach for Iowa then.

The retired Fry and the out-of-retirement Snyder shared a gift — the ability to evaluate high school talent and accurately project how it translates to college — that ranks as the most underrated qualification for a successful college football coach.

After identifying Long as worthy of a scholarship, the rest fell into place for the Hawkeyes.

“The place was great, but it’s the people you’re attracted to,” said Long, whose recruitment to Iowa was started by Snyder and closed by Fry. “They just had great salesmanship. They were coming off 20 non-winning seasons in a row, but it didn’t feel like it when you met them.”

Snyder’s not a fast-talking salesman, but when a coach believes in the potential of a recruit, that resonates with the recruit.

“He’s really good behind closed doors,” Long said of Snyder. “He doesn’t get excited in his voice when he talks to you, even when he’s recruiting. But it was really the combination of him and Hayden Fry.”

Snyder was Long’s position coach at Iowa and, in title, was Fry’s offensive coordinator, though Fry called the plays, Long said.

In addition to Snyder, such big-name coaches as Barry Alvarez (formerly of Wisconsin), Bret Bielema (Wisconsin), Kirk Ferentz (Iowa), Jim Leavitt (formerly of South Florida), Long, Dan McCarney (North Texas), Bo Pelini (Nebraska), Bob Stoops (Oklahoma) and Mike Stoops (formerly of Arizona) all worked for Fry. Two of the biggest turnarounds in college football history were authored by Fry and Snyder, who is in his second revival act at K-State.

“It was a magical staff,” Long said. “You just knew going in there, even before the winning started, that something was going to happen. I think it all stems from (how) Hayden knows people. And he would hire the best chemistry staff, rather than just get the best X’s and O’s staff. As a collective unit, they were very powerful because you felt the chemistry and the closeness they had.”

The same goes for Snyder’s staffs, Long said.

“The Bill Snyder/Hayden Fry combination has been a powerful influence on me,” he said. “Those were my mentors at a very impressionable age, as a college kid.”

He shared what he stole from Snyder, to whom, he said, he has drawn close through the years.

“He’s very even-keeled,” Long said. “He didn’t raise his voice much. He talked to you more from an educational standpoint. He’s not a yeller or screamer.”

Snyder proves low-key can work, as long as the right talent judgments are made in recruiting.

Comments

KState_Wildcats 2 years, 11 months ago

You better believe Snyder has an eye for talent. Ever heard of a player called Sproles???? We are reading each one of your articles and noting your fan comments. You are a laughable football fanbase. Get ready for your stadium to be full of purple because we bought nearly all of your tickets. Get ready for some national TV football Lawrence!

Our loyal Cats can't wait til Saturday! KU is awful in the 3rd and 4th quarter! Awful! No halftime adjustments! LMAO! Dont you worry Snyder will make his. Will be a lot worse than 59-7 this year! EMAW!

rockchalkchampionship 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not saying KU will win Saturday but we will not lose by more than 52 points. I will bet my house on that. Our last 5 opponents have ALL ranked in the top 17 in the nation in yards per game. K-State ranks 94th. If KU comes ready to play and the o-line (hopefully with Hatch) block for the backs and give Webb time, Gill could get his biggest win as a head coach.

As much as I hate Lee Corso, I've been telling K-State fans all week "Not so fast, my friend" when they tell me it's going to be a repeat of last year.

xfitter 2 years, 11 months ago

You realize YOU'RE the type of KSU fan that makes KU fans loathe the wildcats? A fraction of success in one sport, and you instantly put your noses up like you can't smell all the cow sh*t surrounding your town. Have fun eating crow, loser.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

OK OklahomaSooners - that's a great writing style. You copy and paste the exact same post and add one line at the beginning. Talk about laughable. At least we're creative in our laughable football fanbase talk. Get your jabs in now buddy, because there is NO chance we'll hear from you again when we beat you in Lawrence, Norman and Manhattan in basketball.

Hammertoe 2 years, 11 months ago

in college atheletics today, basketball is insignificant. outside a handfull of basktball schools, nobody cares...

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

and by that you mean that your team sucks in basketball, so therefore no one cares.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 11 months ago

You do realize that the second Bill Snyder retires again you and your entire school will go back to obscurity.

FLJHK 2 years, 11 months ago

I'd say quite a few people care and if you were a true K-Stater, you would too. With all due respect to the amazing Bill Snyder, K-State hoops has a far more subsatial tradition than K-State football. Do the names Tex Winter, Cotton Fitzsimmons and Jack Hartman mean anythig to you?

OK, the tradition doesn't measure up to that of Kansas, but then that's pretty much true across the board as regards these schools.

Go away, gnat.

Kirk 2 years, 11 months ago

Yup.

KSU actually had more Big 8 regular season b-ball titles than KU did until the early 90s. The two were always neck and neck going back to the late 40s and the Big 7.

KSU football is a flash in the pan next to that. And not really that big of a flash.

Carter Patterson 2 years, 11 months ago

We may not be that good in Football this year, but this statement will always be true.....it sucks to be you! Nobody cares about Silo Tech.

Hammertoe 2 years, 11 months ago

K-State 13-1 versus KU last year. How many college basketball programs have 3 freshman ineligible this year? None. Wake Up. K-State is going bowling this year no matter what happens this weekend.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of stats nobody really cares about, KU is 65-38-5 in fb against state... we'll probably all be dead by the time you catch up.

sure, you'll go bowling. nobody cares about the pinstripe bowl, but I salute your effort.

FLJHK 2 years, 11 months ago

Fact of the matter is, you could go 14-0 every year for the next decade, and not a single Jayhawk would be willing to trade places with you. Sadly, you know that's true. Envy gets you nowhere.

Go away, gnat.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

"We are reading each one of your articles and noting your fan comments." We know.... there's nothing to do in Manhattan.

Also, can't help but notice you are patrolling a rival school's website at 1:20 AM.... get a life, seriously.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh and how can I forget? EcoKat! We still win, even if we lose. :-)

Hammertoe 2 years, 11 months ago

How can I forget Virginia Commonwealth, Northern Iowa, Bradlley?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

I think there was a national title between those games... still not as embarrassing as EcoKat.

Let us know when you win a NCAA championship.

FLJHK 2 years, 11 months ago

You have to be in the game to be able to lose, a postion that K-State is rarely in.

Go away, gnat.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

We forget about those by remember the National Championships.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

oops - "remembering" the National Championships. I've read too many K-State posts today.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 11 months ago

You guys fed the troll.

1 rule in message boards....don't feed the trolls!

When you reply and debate some jerk's post like this one.....you have failed.

It is best to ignore.

C'mon Hawks....what's wrong with you?

FLJHK 2 years, 11 months ago

Of course you are correct. I rarely do so. Sometimes, I just can't resist. My apologies.

kureader 2 years, 11 months ago

You're so right.

Don't feed the lonesome trolls, who don't have a blog of their own.

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

Life would be so much more boring without trolls and ignoring them really doesn't work, they just go to greater lengths to get the attention they desire and actually do disrupt board activity. Feeding them this way just gives them the attention they crave without letting them really disrupting the flow of the boards.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Not always - sometimes it's FUN!

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

@KState_Wildcats

Your obsession with KU is duly noted.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Are you kidding me?????????? Fricking TROLL! Hey how is that most losses by an FBS football program treating you??? 610 losses to be exact! Oh and your 64-39-5 record all time against KU??? You like that too???? This is exactly why KU fans hate KSU fans! OH and EMAW??? Really??? How about I think one up... EMAJ, EMAC, EMAS, EMAC, EMAT, EMAR, what the hell. So simply throw EMA and add your schools mascot on the end! Very cool that you guys were able to think up such a creative slogan! Rock chalk has a meaning and a root. EMA-Jayhawk, Cowboy, Sooner, Cyclone, Tiger, Red Raider. What a stupid slogan! STUPID STUPID STUPID! It is the most annoying and stupid one in all of college sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey you dominant in football especially through the 80's when you had the most losses of ANY program in the country! Great job! Sure hope you can keep snyder alive for the next 100 years otherwise it's back to mediocrity for you! Get off our site troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KState_Wildcats 2 years, 11 months ago

LMAO. Check our football record with Bill Snyder. He's making a plan for every single play of the game right now. He's a genius. It'll be 49-0 at halftime.

Looking forward to jam-packing your entire stadium full of purple EMAW shirts and seeing your coaches' and players' HALF-TIME adjustments. LMAO!

EMAW!

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

KState doesn't have the most losses anymore, Northwestern passed them a while back and now sits at 619 and Indiana is at 613.

babyjay1 2 years, 11 months ago

What a laugh that every school that says basketball doesn't count, always sucks at basketball! Please note: even though KU is not exactly a "powerhouse" football school, I never discount football! And by the way, that whole " wabash cannonball" thing and the rocking back and forth looks completely ridiculous! You all might want to rethink that .... Just sayin...

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

So what I'm getting out of this is that having a stoic demeanor and rarely, if ever, raising your voice while infusing strong Christian morals actually works at the college level for building a good team. I was under the impression from KU "fans" that the only way to be a successful college head coach was to be a stark raving lunatic on the sidelines and locker room like Mike Stoops or Bo Pelini to name a couple of coaches who use that method.

If you think Gill is a bad coach because he's a poor X's and O's coach or isn't great at making adjustments that's a valid and appropriate concern, but to say that he's a poor coach because he because doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve or he's trying infuse strong morals into his team is a complete load of crap because Bill Snyder has proven that style of coaching can be very successful at a school with very little history of success.

hawk316 2 years, 11 months ago

Great point, texashawk! I liked this quote from Long:

From what I've read elsewhere, this seems like the environment that exists on the KU staff. If true, that will translate into winning football.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Of course you don't have to yell. Tom Osborne, Mark Richt, guys like that have proven it over the long haul, but if you don't like Gill everything becomes exactly what you don't want in your college football coach. I love having Turner Gill as the face of our program. Now we just need the wins!!!

BC5 2 years, 11 months ago

K-State fans... if Snyder lives forever you will have a good program. KU has an Orange Bowl win to go with your Fiesta Bowl win, and KU has a better football tradition if you compare the two through history.

1998 will never happen again. Oh yeah, and that season ended with a loss to Purdue in the Alamo Bowl. Enjoy your meaningless bowl games for the next 3-5 years and then going right back to being Manhattan, KS.

See you on the court.

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

Personally, I think Snyder's bigger gift is his ability to develop talent, and get more out of guys than anyone believes they're capable of. If you look at their roster, they aren't particularly athletic (a few notable exceptions aside, such as that linebacker, Brown.)

Snyder's teams always get better over the course of the season, something you can't say about most programs. He's taken several "ho hum" QB's and turned them into above average performers.

I, for one, will be glad when he finally retires (for good) and we can resume our habit of kicking their butts on an annual basis. Until then, we'll just have to settle for the 2 for 1 trade we typically enjoy where we beat them soundly twice in hoops and they beat us in FB.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree, we've read enough about snyder, especially from Keegan. He's a good coach with that usually plays better than expected with the players he has (His games are as boring as watching paint dry though)

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

"Coach of the Century". If Barry Switzer said it, it must be true buddy.

Now let's go kick his @ss!!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Having several family members currently enrolled at K-State, I hate to inform you of the amount of Johnson County-ers at State, especially in the fraternity/sorority system. Certainly not to the extent of KU, but still more than Mizzou. KC is a huge Big 12 town. As the population of KC and the suburbs continues to skyrocket, I'd assume the amount that go to state will continue to increase.

I think perhaps you are confusing the current KU student with "kids these days"... "things like jail force me to tolerate them now", had a chuckle there. Good luck on Saturday.

Sunnymay 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow.

I strongly believe people from Lawrence would agree that most people from Johnson County are snobbish and annoying but there is nothing you can do about those type of arrogant fans; which by the way exist everywhere even in Manhattan, KS!!! Trust me I know from experience.

"I realized that many KU fan under the age of say 50 were just snobbish punks unworthy of any respect." - Wow Wow Wow Wow that's a little harsh

I have a lot of respect for Bill Snyder I used to follow Kansas State football when I was younger and had the chance to go to a lot of football games in Manhattan. You speak of Johnson County people ruining the University have you ever been to Manhattan, just curious???

I hope the game Saturday is good I always like a good rivalry game. Good Luck to both teams!

MDHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I hate to burst your bubble, but I went to both K-State and KU, and the snobbishness level is relatively equal. That's a symptom of any relatively large school. KU may have the rep according to K-State fans, but having been amongst both student bodies, there really isn't much of a difference. I'm from a more impoverished part of the state, and many folks I've run into at both schools are quite naive to what it's like to be without...though I've met plenty at both who know much more than I.

You said it yourself...you didn't go to either school. You have no standing to judge, not a leg to stand on. One thing I noted while at K-State (which sickened me) was that many of their fans were more obsessed with hating KU than they were interested in supporting their own teams. My major put me smack in the middle of many of the biggest sports fans, and I also worked for the athletic department...many of my colleagues unaware of my KU fandom, making my witness unfiltered.

As far as making our season, beating any ranked team can make a season. Beating you is always nice. In fact, beating us may make or break your season, since the difficult part of your schedule has yet to come, and I wonder how many more games you're going to win. I've learned not to doubt Bill Snyder, but it's not as if you've been dominant by any means.

Side Note: our successful basketball coaching tree extends beyond just Roy Williams and Bill Self. As far as football, yours begins and ends with Bill Snyder.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow that last statement could not ring more true! 317 wins in their history if you subtract Snyders wins and still 530 losses. Imagine what KSU would be if they hadn't hired Snyder! They very well could have 700 loses by now! In fact they probably would have 700 loses! Oh and don't forget Larry Brown, Phog Allen, James Naismith...... What history do they have in Kitty Town??? Snyder and well that's about it. I have KSU fans constantly rub it in my face about how great they are and how bad we hare but don't dare bring up basketball to them.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I love the fact that you went to both KU and K-State, and you refer to KU as " ours " and K-State as " theirs ".

You were taught well, sir!

jhox 2 years, 11 months ago

I was small town raised and live in Johnson County. I'm a KU Grad. On my last trip to Manhattan, our last win there, as I left the stadium in my KU sweatshirt, I was harassed by several drunk KSU students. Just minding my own business, walking back to my car, and I had 4 different college age kids at various points during my walk, giving me crap (keep in mind we won, so from that standpoint it didn't make much sense.) One kid literally got 2 or 3 inches from my face and started yelling at me. I did nothing to provoke any of these kids other than the fact I had a KU sweatshirt on and I was an easy target because I was walking alone. Believe me Babboy, it goes both ways.

You think you get crap? Try wearing MU clothing to Lawrence sometime. Worse yet, try wearing KU clothing to Columbia sometime. MU is our first tier rival, KSU second tier.

Robert Brock 2 years, 11 months ago

Go back and check out the football staffs that Pepper Rodgers assembled during his brief time as the KU coach. Something to behold!

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

K-state has a top 25 football team (apparently the only sport that matters) and a rapidly rising basketball team with a rich basketball tradition. The college is also located in a city that is on multiple "best places in the county to live" lists.

Ku has a legendary basketball tradition, fields an elite basketball program and a terrible football program (the only sport that matters) and what few supporters the football program has turn their back on the team at first mention of basketball. The college is located in what is referred to as a "bedroom community" located between Kansas City and Topeka.

Why is being a ku fan so great and being a K-state fan so terrible, I'd say their prospects are looking pretty good.

…and if they manage to get Leavitt (rumors) as head coach when Snyder retires, it's a safe bet that winning would continue for the cat's football program.

kureader 2 years, 11 months ago

Manhattan, Kansas ... "best place in the county to live". Yeah, I suppose Manhattan IS the best place in the county to live. Have you ever been outside the county?
How 'bout outside the state? (guess not)

Is there a blog in your "city"? If so, you should check it out. Careful ... too much purple kool-aid is bad for you.

Sunnymay 2 years, 11 months ago

hahahahaha Manhattan, KS "best places to in the county to live"

I love it!

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

Meant country, sometimes I'm not too great typing on the iPhone, that's my fault.

Manhattan Ks… Top 10 small cities to live by Money magazine Top 50 places to live by Men's Health magazine

Personal attacks on me illustrate only your lack of class. I'm simply pointing out Manhattan's positive prospects, if you're so insecure in your town and school that you take this as a personal attack, you've got bigger problems than a bad football team. I've worked in both Lawrence and Manhattan, both are fine enough cities, but honestly, the people are nicer and the city is cleaner in Manhattan.

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

I've travelled, worked and travelled all over this country and others, I've seen the best and worst in people and conditions. I've seen every modern major disaster in this country. I've seen people pull their possessions and loved ones from the ruins of disaster. I've seen floods, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, ice and snow. I've built more powerlines than you've driven by, and climbed further off ground than you've been away from your house. Don't talk to me about never making it out of the county son.

hawksquawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah? Well Im 8 feet tall and can shoot lightning bolts from my arse...

Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic, nicolas cage?

bad_dog 2 years, 11 months ago

All Hail Scraptown the Omniscient!

kureader 2 years, 11 months ago

Son, don't expect to sign on to a KU blog, insult KU's football program, brag about K-Straight, say something stupid about Manhattan, and then be greeted with a smile and a handshake ... not this week.

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

Is what I said an insult to ku football? It is a statement of fact, I simply stated the current state of affairs in the state's revenue earning collegiate teams. I just was curious why it is so terrible to be a wildcat? My wife is a ksu alum, I got my engineering degree from PSU, so I don't have a dog in the fight per se, but yes, ours is a wildcat household, and times are good in wildcat world, seemingly better than jayhawk land.

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

K-State won't get a sniff from another conference when the next realignment happens. You better put your little paws together and pray KU takes you with them when the time comes, because we're the only chance you've got. Little brother.

KState_Wildcats 2 years, 11 months ago

Really KGphoto??? I mean Really??????

Scraptown doesn't mean anything by it. His family is a loyal group of Cats. Leave him alone. If you want to meet some Cats in person to discuss conference realignment meet us outside the stadium after we're 7-0. There's no tickets left, otherwise we could meet you in the stands. Sorry bout that. On the chance you're one of the 500 Jayburd fans with tickets let us know and we can meet inside the stadium.

Can't wait for Saturday!

EMAW!

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm on my way over to KSU's website so I can troll on it and post sh@t to inflame their fans as well! It's so fun everyone join me now! EMAJ!!!!!! EMAL!!!!!!!! EMAT!!!!!!!! EMAC!!!!!!!! EMAS!!!!!!!!!!! Insert your mascot EMA mascot! What a stupid fricking dumb a$$ saying! That really took some time to think up!!

Can't wait for Saturday! EMAJ! EVERY MAN A JAYHAWK! STUPID A$$ SAYING!!!!!!! But I expect nothing else from the wildcat fans who relish in the last 15 years of football and think they are now a dynasty! One I will point hasn't done di@k without Bill Synder! I'm so sick of hearing this crap! KSU has been very good under Snyder and I'm sure he'd be proud of fans trolling on KU's website!

texashawk10 2 years, 11 months ago

Are you referring to when Hook_Em_Horns or something similar to that will be posting next week?

Sunnymay 2 years, 11 months ago

hahahahahaha I knew what you meant when you said county not country; I didn't notice your spelling error so I wasn't making fun of that just simply that you believe Manhattan, KS is indeed a great place to live. It isn't bad to be a wildcat this is simply a rivalry people argue both sides. You should never come onto a KU blog and "ACT" like your not trying to stir the pot then get offended. Don't take things so personal.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Saying "football is the only sport that matters" is very naieve. The people in charge care nothing about football or basketball. Money is all that matters. If a winning football program was legs enough to stand on, Boise St would be desirable to conferences, but oh wait, they only have a Big East invitation. TV markets are important also. That being said, yes, football brings in more money right now so that is the priority to conferences, if it were basketball, that's what they'd be chasing. The sports themselves are irrelevant.

Also, I won't consider State a rising basketball program till Frank wins with kids he actually recruited. This is his first year without a Huggins recruit to fall back on... Time to see what Frank is really made of.

BC5 2 years, 11 months ago

When Snyder goes, your program goes. And whoever listed Manhattan as one of the best places to live... I would like to sell them some real estate.

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

I always try to pull for the hawks when they're not playing the cats, but hawk fans make it tough not to hate them. I know ku couldn't hardly think straight with all the conferences knocking at their door. Ku was floating in the same boat down the Kansas river that K-state was. Ku is in no better condition in re-alignment than K-state. The only place that said otherwise are the posters on this forum.

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

All the future power 16 conferences saw what you saw when Miracle Bill wasn't leading the football squad. K-State is a one-coach pony. Your first bowl game was in 1982. That's about 100 years of futility and you are going right back there when he's finally done. You are kidding yourself if you think there is another guy who can do what he has done.

And you are kidding yourself about Manhattan being a great place to live. I have lots of friends who graduated from K-State. None of them ever go back to visit. It's a great place to live if you want to be anonymous.

I don't hate K-State like many fans here do, but be honest with yourself. K-State is a safety school for KU. It has been forever, and it always will be. Doesn't make you a bad person. It just means you don't get it.

741hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Here's a Jayhawk that roots for KSU . . . unless they are playing KU. We're all Kansans, I was taught. On the other hand, we (Jayhawks) hope the Tiggers lose every game!

scraptown 2 years, 11 months ago

You guys can't really blame wildcat fans for getting on this site, there's more articles praising Snyder on this site than any other.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

that and nobody cares enough to make a K-State site.

Tom Gillaspie 2 years, 11 months ago

Bill Snyder has an eye for talent - Wow, what a news flash! Keegan is still a hack. Bill Self has an eye for talent, as did Roy Williams. All three are great coaches and able to direct that talent into winning programs. Agree or disagree about who is better and why, it is good for the state of Kansas if both schools have successful athletic programs. I personally believe it is more fun when games are competitive and not lop-sided. One thing all people from the state of Kansas, KU and K-State fans alike, should be able to agree on - Missouri sucks.
Have a great day.

Kirk 2 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else notice the conspicuous absence of Gill in this article?

Long could have said, "And that's the kind of chemistry Coach Gill is building here at KU" or some such.

Nope.

Anyhoo, Snyder is great at doing what nobody's done at KU, and which we all need and want. Building a winner on a mastery of fundamentals and discipline.

Mangino and his staff did a GREAT job spotting and developing talent that was overlooked by others.

By the way, without Hatch this Saturday, I think we will be utterly squashed.

hawk316 2 years, 11 months ago

Actually, Kirk, from other articles I've read since Gill was hired, I got the impression that Gill knows how to put together an excellent staff. Just because Long didn't happen to mention it in this interview does not mean that he feels it's lacking at KU. In fact, according to a recent article about Long, he seems to be very happy at KU, and I would doubt that he would feel this way, given his past experience, if the environment under Gill was not a positive one.

Kirk 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure anyone who wants to keep their job seems happy in it. No doubt. And I'm sure Long is happy enough.

Still...I found no mention of the current KU staff, and no comparison, rather interesting.

Hammertoe 2 years, 11 months ago

The facts: Football is the "only sport that matters" from a national percpective in regards to TV revenue and conference realignment. KU is ranked dead last in all D 1 football programs while their instate rival is ranked #12 in polls. K-State will go to a bowl game no matter what happens the rest of their season. For the third straight year, student enrollment increased at K-State while decreased at KU. IF K-State wins on Saturday, the ESPN Game Day crew will be in Manhattan for a nationally televised game against OU. Forbes did rank Manhattan, KS as one of the best places to live. KU is jealous their bitter rival Mizzou has conference realignment options and will mostly join the SEC. Kansasans should be happy to have 2 Big 12 teams in the state with our state's population less than the Dallas Metro Plex.

Having said that, I'm expecting a great college football game on Saturday as the KU team will be playing for their coaches job.....

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

did you just copy all your old posts and lump it into one? This is the most garbled post I've read in awhile.

You bore me. Most of this is inaccurate and the other half is irrelevant.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Heres an interesting article about the real rivalry... KU/Mizzou made the "dirtiest rivalry" list (Mizzou gets 76% of the fouls). Wasnt sure where else to post it.

KWufan 2 years, 11 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong, hasn't bill snyder lived and died by the junior college recruit? So Keegs is saying that he should be praised for what development all the non qualifying football talent in the juco system brings him? Sure Darren Sproles, umm, he's what a non starting running back in the nfl and your proud of that? Every year an out of conference schedule that is almost always the weakest in america so u can claim enough wins to make bowl games every year, your really proud of that? Can we please stop the in-fighting of this great state of Kansas and stop gloating on another schools sports website, that actually cares enough about its fans to actually have one to post on. Seriously, football is way better than basketball when the ncaa tournament is considered the best sporting event every year? Jesus, no wonder everyone thinks KState is full of dummies, its called reality, look into it.

Kirk 2 years, 11 months ago

Sproles was a pretty neat college player. A better RB than we've had at KU since....Laverne Smith probably. That said, some of our current crop might prove to be pretty good, too.

But I basically agree with you. Snyder has enjoyed juco guys who couldn't have gotten into KU.

I don't think this is what makes Snyder a great coach, though. He's not winning this year with great talent, but with great discipline and focus....which will only get KSU so far once they play the Okie schools.

kureader 2 years, 11 months ago

You're somewhat of an old (or at least, middle-aged) fart, if you remember Laverne Smith.

I don't remember his college stats, but he was strong, and he ran a 4.2 ... the fastest player at KU, at least in his decade.
I wonder if there are any 4.2's on KU's current roster.

Kirk 2 years, 11 months ago

I admit it. I went to my first KU game as a kid in 19 hundred and 74. But there are still plenty of even older guys who remember a lot more than I do. I wish I could've seen Sayers and Riggins.

But I'm happy today knowing we've got some good RBs coming up. That's about all I'm happy about, and our O line.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 11 months ago

Unlike most posters here, I like K-State. Some of my best friends are wildcats. It is going to be a good game. Probably much closer than last year. I think that was a fluke.