Monday, October 17, 2011

Russell Robinson leaves team

Former Kansas player Russell Robinson jumps between Christian Moody, left, and Chris Zerbe on his way to the basket during the Rock Chalk Roundball Classic at Free State High. Robinson played with the Reno Bighorns of the NBA Developmental League last season.

College basketball notebook. ...

Former Kansas University guard Russell Robinson has left his pro team in France — JSF Nanterre — by mutual decision, Robinson said over the weekend.

“It wasn’t terrible over there. It was not what I expected. It was kind of on both sides,” Robinson said of his being removed from the squad. “I decided it was best to come back here.”

The 25-year-old Robinson, who started on KU’s 2008 NCAA championship team, is not ready to give up basketball.

So far in his pro career, he has played in Turkey and Spain and in the NBA Developmental League.

“I’m hoping something happens with the (NBA) lockout in the next two weeks,” said Robinson, who could attend a team’s training camp if and when the lockout ends. “If not, there’s opportunities overseas. I’ve turned down a couple. I’m probably going to be around here for a while,” he added of Lawrence.

Langford off to Israel?: Former KU guard Keith Langford is close to joining Israeli championship team Maccabi, Eurobasket.com reported over the weekend. Langford recently received a buyout from Khimki in Moscow, where he played last season.

The Maccabi team is coached by former Princeton player David Blatt. Eurobasket reports that Langford will take over the contract of former Maccabi player Jeremy Pargo — that is $750,000 this season and $900,000 in 2012-13. Maccabi is trying to outbid Caja Laboral Vitoria, a team in Spain, that the website says has also of sought the services of the 28-year-old Langford, who is brother of KU sophomore Justin Wesley.

Morningstar leaves Crete: Former KU guard Brady Morningstar, 25, has left his team, AGO Rethymno in Crete, Eurobasket.com reports. He has not contracted with another team.

Recruiting: Chris Walker, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound junior forward from Holmes County High School in Bonifay, Fla., tells jayhawkslant.com he had a “great time” on his unofficial visit to KU for Friday’s Late Night in the Phog.

Walker, the No. 8-rated player in the Class of 2013, is also considering Florida, Kentucky, Duke, UConn, North Carolina, Ohio State and others.

“I spent time with all the players, but I talked a lot with Thomas Robinson. He just told me to keep working hard and told me that I’ve got potential to be a very good player,” Walker said.

“This visit was more about me getting to see Kansas and what the program has to offer. I had a great time with (KU commit) Perry Ellis (6-8, Wichita Heights), Kaleb Tarczewski (7-foot, Southborough, Mass. who will visit Arizona next weekend0 and the other recruits. The fans asked us to sign autographs and it was just a crazy atmosphere.”

Walker made the trip the same weekend as his good friend Brannen Greene, a 6-7 forward from Persons High in Forsyth, Ga. He is the No. 35-rated prospect in the class.

Comments

Kyle Rohde 8 years, 3 months ago

Would love to know what really happened with Langford - guy goes from one of the highest paid players in the Russian league to leaving the team suddenly, amidst reports he was out of shape?

Brian Powell 8 years, 3 months ago

and what happened to Brady playing in Crete... first I heard of that at all.

REHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Is terrific that some of our grads can pull down several hundred thousand dollars per year pursuing their dreams outside of the NBA. Guys like Keith, Billy, Aaron Brady, Tyrel and RussRob have meant so much to the Jayhawk Nation. Most of us never tire of reading about them or enjoying their return to Lawrence. What a boost to current team success to have former players like Wayne, Cole, the twins and others playing pickup ball offseason with our players. The Lawrence community serves as first, second or third home to a bundle of former Jayhawks.

lee3022 8 years, 3 months ago

Appears that your credit for the Athletic Department is waining! Have no idea why. Ku does not lack in intelligence but asking them to be omniscient (reading the future intentions of the NCAA) might be a tad over reality. None of the three partial qualifiers this year were poor students and none of them failed their ACT/SAT. Yes, they moved around. Others did as well. The NCAA is an outlaw organization in that they do not follow their own precedent in their decisions. When asked they repeatedly refuse to acknowledge precedent in order to have that power over whomever they choose.

So perhaps they should start asking for which organization KU will belong to by the time these recruits arrive on campus. I am all for BCS conferences forming their own basketball tournament with billions of dollars at stake. Football did it (BCS Bowls). Basketball can do it as well.

jaybate 8 years, 3 months ago

A four team Naismith tournament re.matching the Final Four of the NCAA immediately after Madness in a playoff format of 7 game series might be a very good thing. It would dilute the ncaa's control.

Ann Oneill 8 years, 3 months ago

Are the foreign teams cutting lesser known players because they are attracting or trying to attract current NBA stars?

bradynsdad 8 years, 3 months ago

I hope someone was whispering into kalebs ear during late night. Does anyone know for sure if mcclmore and traylor are planning on staying? I believe if they stay and put in work and we land kaleb, next years squad could be very dangerous.

Displayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Has Kaleb said on Rivals or any other recruiting site how he liked his trip to KU???

Sally Presson 8 years, 3 months ago

It was so good to see Russell at late night. Everytime I see him on the video board with tears streaming down his cheeks I immediately tear up. I wish he could live his dream, he's one of a kind and has done all the right things to get there.

Late night was great, so good to see all our past players there. The recruits ought to see what KU means to these guys and sign on the dotted line. We were standing on the upper level breeze way when the 7' recruit came through and the entire place erupted in cheers. Now if that didn't impress a high school kid I don't know what will. KU fans know their recruits and players through and through!!!

Basketball is right around the corner. However we do have football left!! Let's kick some Wildcat butt guys!!

lee3022 8 years, 3 months ago

This was a big recruiting weekend that could go a long way towards our future. I appreciate all of the recruits there and at the Legends of the Phog game who are wanting to check us out.

Kaleb is the next big commit and I am hoping that happens after next week when he visits Arizona. I have nothing bad to say about Arizona but the best college big man coach is in Lawrence.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

Kaleb has been leaning Arizona all along and there is a reason he left them for last. I always like your optimism lee and hope I can hear you say, "I told you so", but I see him at Arizona. He would most likely start from day 1 here at KU and Manning is a big plus but I don't see it.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 3 months ago

RR is still a really young guy-he'll be just fine. Foreign ball is more of a business without the loyalty of a fan base following. Couple of players in "Beyond the Phog" said Langford was THE higest paid player in Europe for a while. Think he's been in pro ball now for 7-8yrs. Is quite a long time to play at that level. Injuries can really mount up quicker than years allow.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 3 months ago

For half a sec, I thought TRob was leaving...I'm glad I reread more carefully before throwing computer across the room.

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 3 months ago

I had exactly the same reaction! I didn't even look at the name... with all the bad luck coming our way, I sort of assumed that it was another one! Thanks Goodness! :)

Steve Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

Remember RussRob first yr. frustrations and he told his NY family he was coming home, stuck it out, worked hard and the payoff was evident in his senior speech, the enlightenment, the result of his hard work and his growing up.

The world has changed, I know I'm old school, yet appreciate 4 yr. players over ONDones.