Thursday, October 13, 2011

KU men’s basketball shares top spot in preseason Big 12 poll with Texas A&M

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches with the bench as the Jayhawks make a run against Illinois during the second half on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

The Kansas men's basketball team has been picked to finish first in the Big 12 preseason coaches poll along with Texas A&M;, the conference announced Thursday.

KU picked up five of a possible nine first-place votes, as coaches were not allowed to vote for their own teams.

It's the 11th time since the Big 12's inception that the Jayhawks have been picked to win the league.

KU has won at least a share of the regular-season conference title in each of the last seven years.

The Jayhawks' unofficial beginning to the season is Friday, when they take part in Late Night at the Phog beginning at 6:30 p.m. at Allen Fieldhouse.

Big 12 preseason coaches poll

Team (First-place Votes) Points

T1. Kansas (5) 73

T1. Texas A&M; (2) 73

3.Baylor (2) 63

4.Missouri (1) 61

5.Texas 51

6.Kansas State 39

7.Oklahoma State 33

8.Iowa State 27

T9. Oklahoma 15

T9. Texas Tech 15

Comments

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

How did Coach Vitale vote? Seriously, we are the most pessimistic we've been for quite a few years for a season, and we're still favored. We've got it really good here at KU!

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 3 months ago

We need to send thee Aggies off to thee deeper South in style where jack boot stomping, crotch clutching and mediocrity in hoops may be better appreciated. They can take the methcat along for a dumpster dive and a bottom feed.

Steve Brown 9 years, 3 months ago

Given what we lost seems silly we're ahead of Bears, guess coaches recall how tough it is to play us, seriously we'll be decent, but favored?

If TRob can stay away from fouling and if he can hit from charity stripe we'll be fine, if not, could be long season. (long terrible season for us is finishing 2nd or 3rd)

Will we be favored in Madison Garden and how many will we win in Mauii. It might be nice this year to finally not be a top 5 team and then we will have to scrap and fight every contest, perhaps prepare us better for league play and march.

I see Taylor having a remarkable year, all the past ghosts are excised. It is TT year to shine and I fully expect he will.

baldwinjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

I think Releford is the one that's going to surprise everyone this year. He's a hard matchup with his length. I think everybody voted for us because we made them look so stupid all the other times they did'nt and we won..

jaymar74 9 years, 3 months ago

which coach voted Missouri number 1 and why? Without Bowers and with Haith they will be 6th or lower.

madcow 9 years, 3 months ago

It was probably Self, he be trollin.

Steve Brown 9 years, 3 months ago

This is a given, it was their conference mate, aTm.

KULA 9 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to the team for the preseason ranking, but, sadly, another indication of the weakness of this conference.

Steve Jacob 9 years, 3 months ago

It will be a down year for the Big 12, we will see that when the AP top 25 comes out, it will be lucky to have three in the poll.

hawksince51 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't see aTm as our main competition for the title. Who do they have besides Middleton? And a new coach too boot. I would expect them to have some extra trouble on the road what with their desertihg the conference. I would pick them no better than 4th. Baylor should be pre-season choice based on rosters. But, I expect us to give them a run for their money.
Rock Chalk--great to be posting about B-ball instead of F-ball or the Big 12.

chriz 9 years, 3 months ago

I think it's obvious that we'll win the Big XII title again. I love T-Rob obviously, Tyshawn will amaze us with his maturity this year, Elijah will show us what we've been expecting since he's been here, and T-Rel will return to last year's pre-injury form. That should win it outright. If one of those gets injured, then we're still going to tie for the regular season title. UNLESS Withey shows up. And I mean, SHOWS UP. 7-8 ppg, 10-11 rpg, 2-3 blocks per game. If he can do that, we win outright. If he DOESN'T do that and B-Mac becomes a 7-8 ppg starter (without being a defensive liability) over an injured 1-3, we might still tie for 1st. I haven't even taken into account that I think Naadir Tharpe is one of the most underrated freshman guards in the country.

That being said, I'm only talking about the Big XII here, which is a very weak conference this year. I could see us making a Sweet 16 run and lose to a quality opponent, similar to '09, but we're not going to be the biggest kid on the block. I'm expecting 27 wins and 4 seed.

So I'm no Nostradamus...I'm more of a Nostra-dumbass...but that's my outlook. (I had to throw in the disclaimer because someone would otherwise accuse me of sharing an opinion on this site without being "qualified.")

Iandhi 9 years, 3 months ago

What surprised me the most is how many first place votes we received, yet still tied A&M. If Self had us second to Baylor then the other four coaches (on average) had us at 7.5th. I'm thinking someone(s) is a little jealous and put us last.

bradynsdad 9 years, 3 months ago

The simple fact is Scott drew cannot coach. Drew is turning into the next Rick barnes, all the talent in the world and nothing to teach it. Not one coach in the league wants to stack their chips against self. Simple fact is we lost all five starters after the national title, at least this year we only lost four starters. Complain about selfs coaching abilities all you want but the fact is he has taken down Roy and calipari in head to head match ups. So chalk another one up for the good guys.

Sam Constance 9 years, 3 months ago

Not sure I understand the "down year" comments about the Big 12. Maybe conference realignment has KU fans' attitudes in the sh*tter?

The Big 12 was arguably the second best basketball league in the country last year, and jettisoned the two perennial bottom-dwellers in Nebraska and Colorado, leaving the 10 strongest teams in a league that has (over the past decade) averaged out to be one of the top three basketball leagues in the country. Even the national media is talking about the Big 12 as a league that will make some noise this year, and we all know they tend to favor worshipping at the feet of the Big East and ACC. Don't forget that the third perennial bottom-dweller (Tech) is now being led by Coach Gillespie.

So forgive me if I politely ask what the hell all of you are smoking?

By the way, someone should tell the coaches that Mark Turgeon is not coaching at A&M any longer. They will be good with the returning talent they have, but he was the reason for that team's success.

I also think that the reason Baylor isn't higher might have something to do with the pariah-like view that Scott Drew tends to inspire towards himself in his fellow coaching colleagues' minds. Coaches aren't a big fan of the "negative recruiting" and Drew seems to live/die by it.

chriz 9 years, 3 months ago

Without having looked at the tourney runs, I would rank Big East, Big 10, ACC, and SEC ahead of us. If Texas A&M (without Turg, as you conveniently pointed out) and Baylor are the 2nd best teams we have to offer, I don't think it's arguable that we'll be having a down year this year.

Ethan Berger 9 years, 3 months ago

Really the SEC? ACC without Duke and UNC is weak, Big 10 has a couple good schools but just like in football, extremely overrated.

chriz 9 years, 3 months ago

KU was the only Big XII team in the Sweet 16 last year. All the others I mentioned had at least 2.

Robert Brock 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad that KU is so highly thought of that the Jayhawks share top billing. Unfortunately, we have some serious shortcomings that are a reality. Bill Self will try to cover our weak spots but that will not be enough. KU will lose at least twelve games this season and will be a bubble team for the tournament. I say we get in...and lose in the first round. Best we can do. Reality.

Craig Colgin 9 years, 3 months ago

If we do not get McLemore and Traylor for this year, I completely agree with Brocks assessment. We have a tough schedule this year, and lots of inexperience on this team. It's just a simple truth.

Alohahawk 9 years, 3 months ago

I must be blind or something (or half blind anyway, since this was a coache's poll and I don't have the credentials to match their's). But Texas A&M tied for 1st? I'll believe it when I see it. As I indicated yesterday, my guess is:

1. Baylor (on paper)
  2. KU and possibly Iowa State -Tie (or, Iowa State could switch with Texas at 4)
  3. Texas
  4. Oklahoma State
  5. Missery 7 - 10 Take your pick. Bottom dwellers aren't worth the effort, and who cares what position they end up. They won't receive a bid to the NCAA's.

Note: The above is based on who has received an OK to play at KU by the NCAA. If both McLemore and Traylor receive an OK to play, I'll switch KU to 1st. The Jayhawks are thin with out them as backups. or starters.

Hammertoe 9 years, 3 months ago

Who cares. It's Football Season and K-STATE is undefeated, #17 in the country. Basketball.....to the back of the bus. You may have the row in front of volleyball.... but that's it...

mae 9 years, 3 months ago

We do have to face the facts. Without any top frosh, we will be in the lower half. We're playing last year's backups for the most part. Unless they ALL matured like trob seemed to do we are not going to go anywhere. I know we have a huge recruit class after this one, but all this press and ncaa stuff has me wondering if they will be able to play either.

mae 9 years, 3 months ago

Who is our experienced second team to give the first 5 a breather? Also examine that we've been spoiled with xavier, selby and the twins who were all late recruits expected to leave early. This is a rebuild team with no superstar frosh able to play so far. If they stay for a few years then we may have another florida, but right now, um yeah.

REHawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Sobering news, the very probable loss of Ben Mac and Traylor. Gonna make for a year of demand for supercoaching and injuryfree playing...and high percentage freethrow shooting. Danny Manning has now probably lost 2 of his promising big frosh, Anderson and Traylor. On another note, it is hard to imagine Billy G. finishing in the cellar, even in his first season at Tech. If it happens, I would not expect to see him remain there long, albeit his university is not exactly an enticing destination for top hoops recruits. He did work marvels at A+M.