Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ex-Jayhawk Jake Laptad signs with Bears

Former Kansas University defensive lineman Jake Laptad has been signed by the Chicago Bears. Laptad, an undrafted free agent who graduated from KU in 2011, joined the team Wednesday in Chicago.

The three-time honorable mention All-Big 12 defensive end, who ranks second on KU’s all-time sacks list with 21, spent part of the summer in Chicago’s training camp. He was cut just before the start of the regular season and was added to the Bears’ practice squad Tuesday.

According to his Twitter page, @Lapteezy91, the former Jayhawk is more than a little excited.

“I’m having a really good day,” Laptad wrote Tuesday. “Flying back to Chicago tonight. Gonna be on da Bears again!!”

Laptad is the eighth former Jayhawk currently listed an NFL roster. He joins Dezmon Briscoe (Tampa Bay), Anthony Collins (Cincinnati), Chris Harris (Denver), Kerry Meier (Atlanta), Moran Norris (San Francisco), Darrell Stuckey (San Diego) and Aqib Talib (Tampa Bay).

Gill recalls rivalry

For a few years in the early 1980s, KU coach Turner Gill played in one of the most intense rivalries in college football. Nebraska-Oklahoma, old Big Eight rivals no longer in the same conference, delivered some of the best games in college history, frequently meeting with both teams ranked near the top of the polls.

The rivalry began Nov. 23, 1912, and continued until 2010, when OU topped NU, 23-20, in last year’s Big 12 championship game.

With Nebraska now in the Big Ten, it’s hard to say when, if ever, these two will play again.

Series history

The KU-OU series is the third-most-played in Oklahoma history.

The Jayhawks and Sooners are set to meet for the 102nd time, ranking only behind OU’s 106 meetings with Texas and 105 against Oklahoma State.

OU leads the all-time series with KU, 68-27-6, and has won six straight in the series, including the last two meetings in Lawrence.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 3 months ago

Anyone else feel that it doesn't reall matter if gill is fired because the incompetent search committee that brought us sheahoRn would probably Do something like promote a coach from within?

Lonnie Ross Dillon 10 years, 3 months ago

I wish I knew what your problem is...do you just enjoy being annoying or do you work at it? You must love this anonymity that comes with the internet...

chicagojayhawk87 10 years, 3 months ago

On another note... Congrats Jake! As a Chicagoan from Kansas who loves the Chiefs, now the Dec. 4 Chiefs Bears game will be even better. Of course I wil not root for the Bears, but good luck anyways in the NFL.

kdeutch 10 years, 3 months ago

Even though OU football has handed it to the Jayhawks most years I'm glad the long time rivalry is back to being a annual event. I hope it stays this way even if the conference expands to 12. (Can you tell I'm a traditionalist?)

Lance Cheney 10 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone ever wonder why reporters ask these questions? It's always the same answer from former players/coaches. Nobody ever says, "It sucked. It was horrible. Worst years of my life." I'm not taking jabs at anybody. It just seems like a pointless question to ask, when you know what the answer is gonna be. It's kinda like filler. Kind of like when reporters ask OU or OSU coaches about playing KU. It's not like they're going to say, "Oh yeah. They're bad. I can't believe the meltdown that's going on in Lawrence. That game will be over by the 2nd quarter." Instead, it's the usual, scripted coachspeak. But I digress...

tis4tim 10 years, 3 months ago

What more do you want? They're taking it one game at a time and giving it 110%. That's all you can ask. :^)

741hawk 10 years, 3 months ago

WHAT?

“It’s a little biased for me, because I had a chance to play in it and coach in it,” said Gill, recalling the NU-OU battles. “It was an outstanding rivalry. It was fun to play in it. It was fun to coach it and be around it on both sides. It was a great experience.” HCTG

The last thing I want to hear about prior to KU vs OU is Gill's experience in the OU vs NEBRASKA game.

Gawd. What a blunderhead.

Dennis Mahorney 10 years, 3 months ago

Make us proud Jake! That said, we already are proud!

danmoore 10 years, 3 months ago

That makes 7 NFL and 2 CFL players that Mangino recruited. Have to give the man his due.

Eric Williams 10 years, 3 months ago

Gill's first recruit at Buffalo was Naaman Roosevelt, now a WR for the Bills. He also coached up James Starks, RB for the Packers.

After watching some of our RBs this year, I think Gill has a good eye for talent on the offensive side and he can put some of them into the NFL. That said, he needs a Reggie Mitchell kinda guy that can focus on the defense.

danmoore 10 years, 3 months ago

Which is why I'm not on the fire Gill bandwagon. Let's see what he can do with his own recruits.