Thursday, October 13, 2011

Keegan

Athletes need support

Saturday’s game between Oklahoma and Kansas involves a suspense factor. It’s located in the stands. KU students who hold season tickets can bring another student free of charge for the 8:15 p.m. kickoff televised on ESPN2.

How many students will take advantage? If the answer is not many, the empty seats will add to the negative vibe of this football season. If it’s plenty, one day after Late Night, count that as a loud statement the students want their school to be known as more than a basketball powerhouse.

Senior tight end Tim Biere, the team’s most experienced player and its best, has started for four years.

“You never really know what the students are going to do around here, but, I mean, hopefully, they’ll show up and be loud,” Biere said. “When they’re into the game, it does make a difference. So hopefully, they show up and yell really loud on Saturday.”

Sophomore cornerback Tyler Patmon, an Academic All-Big 12 selection a year ago, also didn’t know what to expect.

“It’s prime time on ESPN. I expect people to come out and support us,” he said. “But I really haven’t played an 8 o’clock game, so I don’t know if that’s better than an 11 o’clock game or a 2 o’clock game.”

From the outside, it seems a shame that KU’s rare chance at this sort of national exposure comes in a game that on paper looks so lopsided.

“We don’t go into it looking at it like that at all,” Biere said. “We look at it as an opportunity to play the best team in the nation and compete with them. We’re going into it trying to win. We expect to win. Playing a game like that on ESPN will be great. There are a lot of young guys who haven’t gotten to be on ESPN yet. It’ll be a fun atmosphere Saturday night.”

Said Patmon: “I’m glad it’s this one. It’s a challenge. It’s one of the top three teams in the nation coming to play us at our home.”

It takes a freshman student body to change a fan culture at a university. If a freshman class is wooed into making attending each football game as automatic as ambling ever-so-slowly on campus crosswalks to keep cars waiting for an extra long time, it then passes that culture down to the next freshman class, which in turn does the same to the next one.

Kansas plays more freshmen than most schools, so this would seem a decent year for the freshman student body to begin to establish a serious football culture.

Running backs Tony Pierson, Darrian Miller and Brandon Bourbon are in the first of four years of eligibility, as is receiver JaCorey Shepherd. Defensive end Javonte Daniel needs to pack on some pounds, but has the makings of a speed rusher. Outside linebacker Michael Reynolds has speed built for blitzing and for dropping into pass coverage. Speedy safety Victor Simmons will get more time Saturday.

“We have a great freshman class,” Reynolds said. “Hopefully, the students will come out to the game. We’ll need their fan support. I just hope they can stay with us through the year.”

If freshmen students turn out in big numbers Saturday, nobody ever can accuse them of front-running.

Comments

DSommersby 3 years ago

Should be a beautiful night in Lawrence. The football team is struggling, but they need our support and what a great way to spend a fall night.

OU brings in an incredible team, but I am confident the fans and alumni will fill the stands and give the team great support. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

Maracas 3 years ago

Oh I imagine there will be a good showing early on. But if KU gets behind something like 45-3 before the half is even over, the stadium will begin to empty and KU fans will be off drinking or partying somewhere. The second half will be a sea of Sooner red.

rballou 3 years ago

As I read this, two things come into my mind:

1) Miracles can happen. KU could come out just psyched out of their minds to play OU and produce a replica of the 4th quarter against Colorado last year... for four quarters this time. It would take all the voodoo in the world to pull it off, but that's why they play the games.

2) Having said that, I will now come back to reality where I watch the game and cheer for as much as I can, while hoping to see that one play in a game that everyone talks about the next day. OU still might decide to grace the record books, and I don't see much resistance.

But I can dream right? Miracles CAN happen...

Regarding the story, it's important to make sure we fill these stands. I'm sure most of us can remember in 2007 when we rocked the stadium with Reesing and Co., how incredibly hostile it can be.

My favorite game that I've seen there in my relatively short amount of time compared to some others here was the Nebraska game where we thrashed the Huskers 76-39. It was one of the best places to be in the country at the time, or even any time.

My point is, you're never sure when you're going to get to watch something that probably will never happen again in that fashion. So make sure you take every opportunity you can to catch that one game. Who knows, it could chain to another, and another...

Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 3 years ago

Just do Sooner nation a favor and shut the hell up. Learn how to spell and stop type like you're texting your friends, it does nothing but make you look like a stereotypical uneducated hick who never actually went to OU because you were too stupid to get in. You are a complete embarrassment to your fan base who are much more respectful and knowledgeable than you are for the most. This website has a spell check function, try using it. Every fan base has that 5-10% that are complete and total idiotic jackasses, so congratulations for being in the 5-10% of OU fans that are idiotic jackasses.

Ryan Shelton 3 years ago

I pegged him as a high school kid earlier this week. Sounds just like the ninth-graders I teach.

BigAl 3 years ago

I will be there running a KU tailgate all afternoon and into the night. I will invite all Sooners (exept this dooshnozzle) to stop by for a cold beer, a snack or two, and good conversation. I always welcome the opposing teams to my tailgate. But I always toss out the nimrods like this guy.

By the way Sooner, we OWN you in basketball. I know, you don't care but WE DO!!!!!

Rock Chalk!!

Chris Bruning 3 years ago

texashawk10 3 years ago

Somehow I doubt he has a lady, at least one that doesn't require an air pump or batteries.

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

How do you figure OU will bring that many people when the University had to return their allotment of tickets back to KU because they couldn't sell them all?

squawkhawk 3 years ago

Because OU fans bought cheaper tickets from KU fans. Mark my words, you will see a lot of OU red in the stands in KU seats.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

Has a KU fan ever bothered to troll an OU board when we beat you at basketball? No, why bother?

I'm trying to figure out why you are bothering here... you are just embarrassing yourself and your program. Keep it classy and save it for bevo.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

Just so you know it wasn't a KU decision or a UT decision to create a game on the Longhorn Network.

For your understanding, every team has a Tier 3 network, it is independent from the conference. Tier 1 is ABC/ESPN, Tier 2 is FOX/FX, Tier 3 is up to the university. Texas has partnered with ESPN to create a Tier 3 Network called the Longhorn. They receive $15 MM/year. It would be similar to the Sooner or Jayhawk Networks. In order for a game to be on that Network, both Tier 1 and Tier 2 would not want that game. After those two pass, it is up to the individual university to market it. I would point out, that KU has several Tier 3 Football games, how Texas got the two Networks to pass on their side is the question. Just as note, KU makes $8-9MM a year in Tier 3 Revenue, and I would imagine this game bumps it up a little more.

Likewise we could probably point to some of the problems you have with your basketball program not quite making Tier 1/2 games.

baldwinjhawk 3 years ago

Your grammar is redneck just like your state. But we welcome lots of rednecks to Lawrence, mizzou... Kstate lol Good luck Go hawks hang in there.

smcpmarine 3 years ago

This is my whopping second post on here....sir you are an idiot....or I will put into words you can understand....sir ur an idjut.

KUbsee69 3 years ago

So, you really are bringing your plethora (that's a bunch to you Okies) of RV's. Oh, wait ... you guys sleep about 40 to an RV, so the convoy won't be that impressive after all.

jartiv 3 years ago

yea the extra tickets that the students are getting are actually the rejected tickets that were available to Sooner fans. SO, no. You don't have 50,000 coming. And lets be honest, Sooner fans only travel because they can't stand their own state - I would bring up statistics, but you can just look outside or listen to yourself talk.

Boom.

Roasted.

Family feud topic: Oklahoma Survey Says: WHO CARES??

babyjay1 3 years ago

Oh goody... The fake, trailer talking and absolutely laughable OU fan is back!!

kesmithstl1 3 years ago

that was my thought too! Giggity giggity, gig-it-ty

Dillon Davis 3 years ago

I don't think it's fair to put the generalization on all of us students that we only care about being a basketball school, when in fact many of us want a very competitive football team. After the 07-08 year, I think football really got the attention of this university and after experiencing some success we don't want to go back. I think that's obvious by looking at all of our comments on here after the last few games. We care and we want them to be successful. But we can't help it if the freshmen don't feel the same. A lot of them didn't have the chance to experience what some of us did a few years ago. All they've known so far is a team that gets records set on them.

texashawk10 3 years ago

I was in the student section during the 2008 and 2009 seasons and like clockwork they were half empty when the second half started regardless of score so apparently majority of students really don't care about attending the football games and the Orange Bowl victory did absolutely nothing to change that for the majority of the students.

jartiv 3 years ago

Also there from 05-09

Something I learned a long time ago is that the students are students and not fans.

I remember camping out and coming in 2 hours early to get the same row in 2005 -06. Easy, no competition. It was nice watching warm ups, and there were only a handful of FANS who happened to be enrolled at KU as students.

Then 2007 happened. It was the best year ever. All of a sudden people cared. Camping out for football nearly got as competitive as it is for basketball - anyone else camp out for the KU-Mizzou tickets? that was crazy.

But that all went away in 2008.

My suggestion: athletics dept needs to take that front block student section, and assign seats to students who will show up every game - DONT CHARGE MORE, but make it more exciting and make it worth it for those students to show up - free memberships to Tradition Keepers, free pizza, donuts, tshirts, vuvuzelas?

Anyways, what we don't need in that student section are wishy washy students who pick up and leave when things get ugly.

iluvdbskxjayhawks 3 years ago

Give them your support jayhawks! Fill the stands and don't leave until the game ends. It'll probably be a blowout but be there for the players. They need our moral support. why are we the only school that allowed our game to be televised on longhorn network? wth? i'm upset over our AD for making that decision. Other big 12 schools should make their own big 12 network. I rather support that then the Longhorn network. Make it happen, Big 12 network!!!!

Sam Constance 3 years ago

That's great and all, but given the choice between LHN and DEN (Doesn't Exist Network), I have no problem with having the game on the Longhorn Network.

Nebraska, A&M and Missouri have really gotten into the heads of a lot of KU fans with their insistence that the LHN is the source of the Big 12's problems, or that Texas' desire to keep their own revenue from their own individually-branded Tier 3 network is somehow unfair.

We're not "supporting" the Longhorn Network. ESPN is doing that. We've agreed to be a part of providing 3 hours of programming of a game that the vast majority of people outside of Texas and Kansas fans have no desire to watch. Not sure how much that really influences the eventual success or failure of the network.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

Support all Jayhawk teams win or lose! They are JAYHAWKS! That should be reason enough.

jhawk613 3 years ago

gotta love the circular reasoning.

Jayhawks are supposed to dominate on the field without energy from the fans, once they do that the fans will graciously supply energy for the first half at least.

Or the fans supply energy despite crappy play on the field, then after seeing the fans' energy the football team will decide to play better.

chalkitup1811 3 years ago

Oklahoma Sooners: your an idiot and an embarrasment to OU fans get off of here. I live in OKC and all my friends go to ou and they think you're an idiot talkin sh*t on kansas' program and fans like you know what you're talking about. We have just as good of fans and support as oklahoma does. the difference is you guys have a rich football tradition and we have a rich basketball tradition.not to mention it's all about recruiting yeah we might need a d coordinator but if you get the right kids in the system you are gonna win ball games and if kansas can't even keep thier best highschool players in the state,thats a problem for recruiting everywhere. it's not the fans makes a team good it's the players that make a team good. the fans aren't playing the players are. so don't be dumb and act like ou's success has come off of fans because the success is coming from who is being recruited. and you can thank Bob and his staff for that When you win fans come out to see you when you lose they don't. remember OU football in the 90's ?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

And just you wait for this weeks version of the gridiron. It's seriously about winning the second half. That's right! Our starters vs Osu's third string.

ejlumus 3 years ago

I can not believe you are a Jayhawk fan. You, my friend , are an absolute loser.

texashawk10 3 years ago

You "Jayhawk" fans who are cheering for OU to hang 100 on KU, what happens then if OU does do that? Will that make you happy because Gill isn't going anywhere unless you Jayhawk "fans" pony up the money to make it happen. All you people who have talked about no longer donating to the athletic department or attending games until changes are made, how do you think KU is going to pay for any of the changes you people want without the money to do so?

Right now, I'm actually ashamed to be a KU fan and alum and it has absolutely nothing to do with KU's on-field performance and everything to do with the way this "fanbase" has behaved over the past year and how poisonous and stupid this "fanbase" has become in regards to realignment and football. You don't like the coach, go to the game and hold up signs stating your displeasure with the way the coach is performing. You want KU to look attractive to other conferences for realignment, fill up Memorial Stadium every weekend and show other conferences that fans at KU care about football. All refusing to go the games and selling tickets to visiting fans does is continue to show the administration and other conferences that KU football "fans" don't care about the football program and have no interest in its fate. All refusing to show up for football games does is continue the status quo for KU football.

If you want to see true change and to have a real impact on KU football, money talks. Spend your money at Memorial Stadium going to KU football games so the school will have to money to make improvements that many of you have complained about and to pay a big named coach the $3-4 million dollar salary you want to see happen. Donate money to the athletic department and earmark for a specific use whether it be for the olympic village (that has to be done before there is any consideration of removing the track at Memorial Stadium), or for a buyout of Gill's contract, or to help pay Perkins or Mangino's settlements which are still being paid. Donate money so that KU can afford to offer a $3-4 million per year contract to Jim Tressel or Butch Davis or any other name that has been tossed out there. If all you are going to do is complain about SZ, BGL, and TG without doing anything about it (donating money), then you are just as guilty of fostering a environment of failure at KU as those who turn a blind eye to it. I've got a new slogan for the KU "fans" wanting change: Put up or shut up. Put up the money to make changes happen or shut the hell up about it.

texashawk10 3 years ago

That rant is aimed directly at the people who have stated that they are pulling whatever funding they were donating to the Williams Fund and to people who have said they are no longer going to the games in protest. Those are the people who are only compounding the financial problems within the athletic department because the athletic department now has less money to spend to make the necessary upgrades to the athletic department whether those upgrades are new facilities, new coaches, or renovations to existing facilities. Pulling funding does nothing but setback these goals and makes them harder to accomplish because there is less money to spend on these projects and coaches salaries so I will continue to challenge the KU fans that want to see changes happen to donate to the Williams Fund and earmark the money for whatever change they want to see, or quit complaining about the problems because pulling funding only makes the problems worse for KU.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct. I will be there. I will cheer for our team. I will NOT leave at halftime. I may not like the outcome, but I will have supported the JAYHAWKS. I will have done everything I can do on that evening to help improve our football program. And, yes, I contribute to the WEF and will not stop doing so because of this football coach, team, AD, chancellor, etc.

I, too, am embarrassed by the comments and behavior of you impostor Jayhawk fans.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

Turner Gill is paid the 21st highest amount among Div 1 Coaches in 2010. He received a $100k bonus in 2010. He additionally is paid higher than names such as Steve Sperrier, Tommy Tubberville, Rich Rodriguez (Michigan), and basically the same amount as Beamer from VT.

So when you talk about having paid to get a good coach, we did. In fact, Turner Gill went from a $500k salary to $2MM/year. The fact of the matter is we overpaid and many of us are unhappy about it.

Additionally, even though there is not a "buyout" in the contract, doesn't mean it can't be negotiated to less than the full amount.

Many people thought he was over his head coming to the Big XII, let alone after 1.25 season, there are very few that think he isn't over his head.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

We have Lew to thank for this situation. Just one more example of his ineptitude.

DXJhawk 3 years ago

+1. This was one of my biggest complaints. I was amazed that they gave Gill $2 million when Texas Tech was able to sign Tuberville for about $1.5 million (at the time). Even Nebraska showed restraint when they first hired Pelini. I think a more reasonable figure would have been in the $1.0 - $1.2 million range, still a hell of a raise, but more reasonable for a coach unproven at the BCS level.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

Agree. Gill makes quite a bit more than Bill Snyder and I challenge anyone to try and build a case that this should be so. I don't think Gill could carry Snyder's Depends.

texashawk10 3 years ago

As for the article itself, this is actually one the best articles Keegan has written in a long time. Keegan is right that in order to change the culture among the students of not giving a damn about football, it needs to start with incoming freshmen. There are two schools that have good ideas about bringing in students for football games to look at and maybe some combination of the two ideas would work. The two schools to look at are Baylor and Duke. Baylor has the Freshmen Line which is the group of Baylor students you see in the gold/yellow jerseys on TV. They form the path for the football team out of the tunnel at Floyd Casey and are the ones who create the energy in the student section and most of them are still there at the end of games. I know a few people who have gone to Baylor and were part of the Line and it's something that gets students involved with the football team from the their first year on campus and for the most part, carries through until they graduate and beyond. At Duke, it is a requirement of any student who wishes to buy basketball season tickets to also have to purchase football tickets for Duke football. I don't know how many of those students actually go to the football games, but some combination of these two ideas at KU would be a start to actually making change happen and fostering a culture of caring about football at KU regardless of how good or bad the football team is.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years ago

You've got battered wife syndrome, keep bargaining and making excuses. Anybody not in denial should be positively encouraging our administrators to move foward on finding a football coach who can prepare our athletes to compete.

ejlumus 3 years ago

Brilliant thinking Johmmy boy!

texashawk10 3 years ago

If you want Gill gone, positively encourage the athletic department with your money.

gammimc 3 years ago

Go tell the athletic department your story. They're the ones who hire mediocre mid-major coaches and overpay them. Not the fans.

I'm sure more students and fans would show much more support for the program if they saw the higher ups put forth some effort to fund it and do it right. A good start would be to hire a proven, winning D-1 coach who can put a staff together. That in turn, would draw some great players to us.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

If Gill is allowed to stay, KU will lose a lot more than $6 million in revenues that it will take to buy out Gill's contract.

Economics 101.

Sam Constance 3 years ago

1) There is no evidence to support this fact. I have a feeling that the revenues from football aren't as closely tied to on-field results as your suggestion would require.

2) Even if your reasoning is correct (again, something I don't buy), there is a world of difference between missing out on an incoming $6 million and forking over $6 million out of pocket. It's highly unlikely that KU has the kind of cash on hand (aka - cash that's not already designated for other purposes in the annual budget) that would be necessary to buy out his contract.

Advanced Economics 201

Sam Constance 3 years ago

Okay.

I'm not sure where you are finding football-only revenues on a year-by-year basis for that kind of comparison, but I'd love to see for myself if you have it.

I was able to find revenues for a single year, and it showed Kansas around $16 million in revenue. I find it extremely hard to believe that keeping Gill through the end of his contract is going to cost us a over a third of the total revenue intake from football.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

You, manginorh00lz, have removed all doubt!

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years ago

If you were smart enough to understand it you would realize that I did. But, therein is your problem.

Sam Constance 3 years ago

Pretty funny that you would call someone out for being immature when you're here sporting a pretty childish attitude.

You don't like Turner Gill as KU's head coach. You're frustrated. You want a change to happen and want to do your part to create said change.

I understand all that.

Unfortunately, Gill isn't the only one who sees the fruits of your "rebellion". Those college-age players, many of whom have no illusions about playing at the next level, also see a complete disrespect and lack of support from their fellow students. The people who are supposed to show support and care no matter what, because it's their school playing. These aren't professional athletes, and we aren't at a program where we can even demand week-in, week-out results because we aren't getting the top-tier athletes.

So in other words, to make yourself feel better about "affecting change", you have no problem being a complete horse's rear-end to your fellow students.

If people don't go to games, then fine. I'm not going to sit here lecturing people about doing something they don't want to do. But the least you could do is refrain from actively calling for the fans that SHOULD support their team through times lean and plentiful to boycott their school and team.

You occasionally have some very interesting, thought-provoking takes on things. It's nice to hear the pov that doesn't conform to the majority of posters on this board. But this particular instance is not one of those "thought provoking" situations. It's just pathetic and childish.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years ago

Wait till the media has it's field day with the free ticket thing. Highlights of Oklahoma scoring their 9th TD of the with the commentary off "KU is begging for their fans to watch this, they were giving away free tickets." We're in trouble if a ticket to see the #1 team in the country who travels well ain't worth 50 bucks.

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

The people who think boycotting the team until they win are seriously disillusioned! I'm not usually on board with Keegan, but he's right about this. Ahpersay wants a big-time coach or somebody with more experience, but who in their right mind is going to come to Kansas when it's clear that our students don't care about football? It is truly a culture, and Lawrence just doesn't have it. When I came to Lawrence in 1986, from Nebraska, I just for the life of me couldn't understand why more people weren't at the games. Sure, we sucked, but empty seats weren't going to change that. I routinely make half the home games from 200 miles away, and that's about the same as a lot of students who are coming from across campus. Pretty lame!

jhox 3 years ago

8:15 start times don't help attendance, especially for a game that looks to be as lopsided as this one. If we were a competitive team, an 8:15 game may have more appeal, but who wants to stay up until midnight to watch what is sure to be a blowout?

I'll be there to support the team, but I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it. Because it is OU, and because they travel well, we may have a decent crowd for the start of the game, but don't look for KU fans to stay long if it gets out of hand early. It pains me to write this, but the situation is what it is.

BigAl 3 years ago

I know of several people that attend the games as a family. However, due to this late start time, they won't be there. Too late for the younger crowd.

Sam Constance 3 years ago

I'm not one to judge other people's decisions, but I have a hard time buying this reasoning as a big contributor to lack of attendance.

After all, even a long football game is 3.5 hours, meaning a worst-case scenario of an 11:45 finish. Unless we're talking about REALLY young kids--that doesn't seem like a terrible thing to do one time, on a Saturday night.

Obviously it's not something you'd want to turn into a habit, but this is likely the only 8:15pm game we have all year. I would be shocked if a large number of people are skipping it on the sole reasoning that it will be too late by the time it gets over. I've seen people at KU basketball games regularly with little children when the likely ending time was 10pm on a weeknight.

It's not about it being late, it's about it being late combined with the fact that it's not basketball and we're not competitive.

tis4tim 3 years ago

When people choose where they want to spend their hard-earned money, they choose to go to an event that they believe is going to be fun and that will help them forget the grind for a few hours. Watching your favorite team get humiliated is not the recipe for a good time in most people's books. A good product sells itself and until KU puts a better product on the field, no amount of cajoling or coercion is going to improve fan turnout.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

You see the ticket prices for the game? You can take your family of four in sit in the cheapest seats for around $400 (travel, food, gear included). $400 to watch us get pounded to a pulp.

And as much as I see your "beauty of the campus blah blah blah" point, your thinking is coming from an out of town view. If you lived closer you wouldn't feel the same because you could go Larryville anytime you wanted to reminisce. And that is how the people living within driving distance of the game feel.

So I say you relive your college days the same way I will be doing while watching the game. Get a case a natural light and drink until you puke.

texashawk10 3 years ago

Still buying Natty Light as an adult not in college, that explains a lot about you.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years ago

Great point Atl. The negativity is getting old. Support the "Hawks because they are our "Hawks.

tis4tim 3 years ago

AtlJaybird,

I'm with you, man. There's nothing like taking in a football game on a crisp fall day, and if I lived closer I would be at the stadium, especially to see our boys take on a premier program like OU.

I totally agree that amateur athletics are a different beast than pro sports and that these young men probably deserve our support come hell or high water. The truth is, though, that most people are not fans of sports in the true definition, but devotees. They like a winner and when the chips are down they find other avenues to occupy their time. Whether that makes for bad sports karma or good financial decision-making is a matter of opinion.

The reality is people will not pay to see garbage. And until this program achieves sustained levels of success on the field, crowd support will be fleeting at best.

MDHawk 3 years ago

Just go to the game, and stay the whole time. It's really not that hard...there isn't a single game I've gone to in the last 20 years where I've left early. Is it somewhat sad they're giving away a free ticket to season ticket holders? Perhaps, if you perceive it as a hint that no one wants to go. However, a true fan would see it as an opportunity to bring a friend and pack the house. One thing KU fans know is how awesome it is to fill a venue...recall Allen Fieldhouse every frickin' game. You want an Allen Fieldhouse type experience for football? Show up every time, no questions asked. No matter how you feel about TG, SZ, or any other set of initials, it takes fans to build a program. Players want to play in a full stadium, coaches want an environment that sells itself. For those who think our stadium needs a facelift, what's the best way to get recruits to see past that? A packed house, every time. Anybody can build a fancy locker room, weight room...you know you've arrived at a program when the fans start pouring in the doors.

We fill Allen for so many more games...how much easier would it be so fill Memorial for only half a dozen games a year? All our belly-aching on here accomplishes zilch...the people who really have clout at this university aren't likely wasting time posting on a message board. What can the rest of us do to help build our program?

Show up. Be loud. I'll be there, and so will my friend with his free ticket. I freakin' love KU, whether we're good or bad. Rock Chalk!

Phoggin_Loud 3 years ago

Here, here!! Trust him, he's a doctor.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 3 years ago

guys...don't respond to OU, Mizzou or other school trolls. That's a #1 rule of internet message boards...don't feed the trolls.

danmoore 3 years ago

Good rule. Boomer Sooner will get his due when his team gets rolled AGAIN in the title game against another sec opponent. You reap what you sow.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

I hope that Kaleb Tarczewski leaves before the OU-KU game; it would be a shame to show him how fair-weather the students are.

jgkojak 3 years ago

So what Keegan is saying by the headline is...

Let's all get out there and be a bunch of athletic supporters!

jaymar74 3 years ago

Keegan and a majority of the posters on this site need to understand you can't be critical of everything this team of 18-20 year olds does and then also be critical of the support when it drops. This is not a professional team, it is my (our?) university. Support it and the student players through good and bad times or go be critical of a pro team somewhere. Give these student atheletes a break and stop ripping everything they do or making up scenerios where they hate the coaching staff.

AlexTJ 3 years ago

Mr. Keegan - The complementary ticket offered to the students for the game will work for ANYONE. Not just students!!

That's right guys as a student I'm bringing my parents in for FREE (with my gf's comp ticket as well of course) That means you football fans have no excuse not to come with plenty of cheap tickets floating around from students! If you know a student remind them to pick up their ticket at the fieldhouse so you can snag it from them!

ChicagoJHawk 3 years ago

I remember some of the few football games I went to when I was going to KU. Most of the time it was early in the season and 100+ degrees and humid as hell. Our team was getting completely destroyed. We weren't even remotely close by any means. Guess what? I left the game almost every time.

If we were just down a touchdown or 2 or even 3 then I'd stay but why would I stay & suffer in the 100+ degree heat & humidity to watch my team continue to get destroyed?? Blaming the fan support is weak! This team needs to step up their game and people will start showing up. They have improved a lot from last year, although our record doesn't show it. It might take another season or 2 but I think Turner Gill will turn things around and we will be a respectable football team.

As for that d-bag OklahomaSooners fan, get a life. We know we're going to beat you guys in basketball every year but do we go on your message boards and talk sh*t before each game?

Micky Baker 3 years ago

This team hasn't improved "alot" from last year. On offense they have improved, but still not very good.

On Defense, this team is worse than last year, because TG didn't have the courage to tell Shealy, no change in base defense.

danmoore 3 years ago

Read the story about Isaac Wright and how he has struggled to get where he is. All we have to do is show up at Memorial 6 times a year. How hard is that?

danmoore 3 years ago

Yeah buddy, I look forward to seein y'all's a$$es get wupped again from them good ol boys in the sec. Say hey to Bubba and Cletus.

danmoore 3 years ago

Micky Baker 3 years ago

So, students can take another student free of charge. Does this not demonstrate that revenues are down because of getting beat by margins of 50 or more points on a regular basis?

Micky Baker 3 years ago

Will KU be able to give tickets away? This is not a good sign for this program. If they have to give away tickets.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

They should have to bring a can of soup.

KUbsee69 3 years ago

On the free ticket subject:

Unfortunately, this is not a new idea. I remember about 20 year ago, a Kansas City area grocery store was giving away one free OU-KU FB game ticket for each eight-pack of Charmin toilet paper purchased. No joke.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

That might not have been a joke. Lets go back to 20 years ago though.

20 years ago this season. Chip Hillary, Tony Sands, Aloha Bowl.

ardy682 3 years ago

Does anybody here play the game " I am gonno guess the writer based on the title of the article". I always win with Keegan, the king of terrible articles and lame titles.

KGphoto 3 years ago

Absolutely they need support. It wouldn't hurt to support the coaches as well. It's not as if they aren't trying. Turner Gill has done everything in his power to create a winning environment for KU football. He said he doesn't want to settle for winning either. He wants to build a dynasty! Whether he does or not, that kind of statement shows his commitment to KU.

Even if all the complaining and cursing and sarcasm were actually enough to get him removed, it's still disrespectful to a guy who has totally committed himself to representing our school and it's fans.

Rebuilding is frustrating, and there are plenty of reasons to be angry. I just don't think it should be directed at any individual like it has been here. Lew Perkins, for Gill haters, would be a logical choice if one simply cannot stop pointing fingers. He hired Gill, after all. But don't forget he also hired Skip Holtz and later Randy Edsall, and literally put UConn football on the map.

Randy Edsall had never been a head coach at any level when he took over UConn football's head coaching duties, and they were switching to 1-A. His first season he went 4-7. The second year he was 3-8. He finally dipped to 2-10 and was blown out 52-10 by the only ranked team they faced, VTech, and lost to Temple in the final game of the year 56-7

It wasn't until Edsall's fourth year that things started to come together and the Huskies posted a 6-6 record. In 2003 they went 9-3. In 2004 they blew out Toledo in the Motor City Bowl, and in 2007 they were the co-Big East champs.

I'm sure a lot of people were disrespectful to Edsall during those first few years, but it just shows how ignorant some fans and sports writers can be. In addition, Edsall's success shows that maybe Lew knows a little more about hiring coaches, than they care to believe.

So get out there and support that players AND the coaches. In a couple of years you'll be one of the few that can say "I told you so".

AzNHawk 3 years ago

KG - you are exactly right!! Randy Edsall is a prime example!

During the first 2 minutes he explains how he built the UConn program. Although they are not a national championship title holder, they did win some Big East titles and get some bcs bids.

KGphoto 3 years ago

Great video! He did exactly what Turner is trying to do here. Building with character and doing things the right way. He's not just changing players or a scheme, he's changing an entire program!

Edsall will win the ACC before long, and Gill will win the Big 12, as long as Zenger is patient and remembers what Edsall went through before UConn became a household football name.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

No, TG has not done everything he can to build a winning environment at Kansas.

5 - 12 and he'll be lucky if he doesn't change from a panzy to a tough guy that they won't be 5 - 19 at the end of this season under his two years.

He recruited very well and there is another recruiting class on this team that combine for the best set of athletes ever at the University of Kansas for football.

There is no heart on this team right now, because TG doesn't have it. He doesn't have it on the sideline. He doesn't have fire. He doesn't get onto the players when they make a mistake. He doesn't do anything that a guy committed to winning does.

AzNHawk 3 years ago

Each coach has his own way of coaching and demeanor. To say that Gill has no heart or fire because he keeps calm, collected, and upbeat is just absurd.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

So let's just agree that Gill has some heart but he has absolutely no ability to inspire his players to play hard-nose football. They might as well add a little hot pink color to the powder blue uniforms.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

So you are saying to wait four years to get to 6-6, that doesn't sound very good for a coach that is making $2.1MM and is the 21st highest paid coach!.

I must say that the Big East is in Jeopary of losing their BCS qualifier because their poor winning percentage. They were recruiting TCU and now going after BSU just to stay legit. Most believe they will lose it in the next year.

And how can you say that HCTG is doing all he can, I haven't seen one thing he has done about the defense...oh wait...here is what has been reported: 1) The change from a 4:3 to a 3:4 under a brand new DC 2) The system is too complex, so we are simplifying it to one word 3) Tackling about 6 plays again and than going to two hand touch (sounds like gametime).

Wake up and see that he is over his head.

KGphoto 3 years ago

Wake up and realize it takes time.

KGphoto 3 years ago

And yes, of course I would wait 4 years to go 6-6 because 4 years is how long it takes. Especially if he continued to follow in Edsall's tracks and go 9-3 the next year. Remember, he was 2-9 in his 3rd year before it came together. That's when his recruits had developed into his players.

I''m astounded at your lack of patience. You are so young that you don't understand everything can't be right now. Some things you have to work for.

90sHawk 3 years ago

I'd like to see some support on Saturday night. A televised game, so let's create a great atmosphere. It'd also be nice if people would stick around longer, regardless of how the game is going. Drinking and partying can wait, and IT WILL wait. That booze isn't going anywhere folks, so let's all support the football team on Saturday!

Micky Baker 3 years ago

Nobody wants the country so the current President isn't reelected. They want him out of office so the country doesn't fail.

Do you notice that you have nothing to support Obama for, or Gill? At some point, you have to start being honest with yourself.

kufankam 3 years ago

your logic is skewed. you want to show everyone in america (including recruits), that we just give up? also, it is not just HIS buyout they have to cover. several of the assistants are under contracts as well.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

Here is the thing. TG gets fired, his assistants stay.

TG doesn't have a record that would get hired any where in any BCS conference as head coach.

MDHawk 3 years ago

That would also be a powerful message sent to any potential KU recruit watching the game that KU is the kind of program where your fans will abandon you. I'm sure whomever we would then try to hire as the next coach would also be thrilled to take a job where the fans could be so fickle and impatient.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

That message has already been sent. Just listen to what the players are saying and how despondent they are about fan support.

eastcoasthawk 3 years ago

I just don't get it. Yesterday Keegan was saying to the world, while the team and coach still say believe, there is nothing left to believe in. Today, he tells the students to come out and support the team.

Many moons ago when I was in school, our team was pretty much the bottom of the Big 8 yet we always gave OU a scare when they came to town. We had a 1-10 season in 78' yet OU had to pull the win out 17-16. Not sure what it was but we always battled OU more than other Big 8 teams when they came to town. I just hope we see that kind of fight in the Jayhawks this Saturday.

RCJHKU!

MDHawk 3 years ago

I was thinking the same thing about Keegan...quite an about face.

haydenhawkco 3 years ago

I was a little confused on the article as well. During halftime of the OSU game he encouraged Gundy to score 100 points. I'm sure that was just frustration. If anything, it shows he cares.

d_park 3 years ago

you moos sure know how to party

d_park 3 years ago

you moos sure know how to party

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years ago

This guy who calls himself "Oklalhoma Sooner" just may not even know what a "Sooner" is in a historical perspective. He sounds like my Aunt Edna (In Oklahoma)who has perfected melodious prose like "That don't make me no never mind".

Yeah, we (Sooner Fans) have a lot of blowhards, jerks, and goofy people who profess to support our teams. When your team demonstrates great skill and accomplishment, you tend to attract two sorts of obnoxious people. Folks who would not have given a plugged nickle for your team's game tickets back in the Gomer Jones era or the Howard Schnellenbarger era. People forget that there have been bad times too.

And those who are lacking much in the way of any civility and polish will stand up in a ball game and scream "rip his (obscene adjective deleated) head off". I think there are a few of those in the KU crowd on occasion.

I am a life long Oklahoma fan, I have been so since way back in the Bud Wilkinson era, and have cheered for my Sooners for many years through thick and thin. Loosing 5 games in a row has only happened rarely, but it does not cause you to become highly critical of your team, you just have to learn to shrug it off and hope for better times.

At this time, OU has achieved great success with it's football program and hopefully will continue on to a national championship. But we all know the pitfalls that await us, we have to go play in Stoolwater, also, later this year.

There are all sorts of fans. Some are fair-weather fans (time of night notwithstanding), some are obnoxious, some are dedicated, belong to the Sooner network and the Soooner kids club for their younguns. I just hope that those of my home state fans that come to Lawrence to see the late night with Bobby Stoops presentation behave themselves and make the University of Oklahoma look gracious and civil.

Boomer Sooner from me too!!!

Lance Cheney 3 years ago

It's nice that there's some class representing your school. That other jerk-off has been giving you guys a bad name all week. If I took a shot of whiskey every time he wrote "Buddy," "127," "135," "bones," "y'all," "DVR," "Sportscenter," "bevo," and all that other blather I would probably be in the hospital. Christ almighty. He makes it seem like OU fans have an IQ of roughly 68 (which, coincidentally is the spread this week).

FLJHK 3 years ago

Nice post. Worst of luck to you this weekend, but if you are somwhow able to "squeak" by this young Kansas team I'll hope for you to win the NC over whichever SEC team you face.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

It is pretty pathetic that the local media and the KU AD department have to beg KU fans to attend a football game. It says a lot about the direction this program is headed.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

33 hours, and counting until 89-0.

Bill Shaw 3 years ago

Support? They already have scholarships.
Who wants to watch a bunch of students fail?
Support the students who make the Dean's list instead.

Bill Shaw 3 years ago

Allowing opponents to set or tie school records hurts the program WAAAAAY more than my not being there.

HawkNVegas 3 years ago

Beg some more it's such a positive way to write a useless article.

I heard "If You Beg, They won't Come"