Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bill Self assists at Coaches vs. Cancer

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, had center court while talking about fellow coaches, from left, Missouri’s Frank Haith, UMKC’s Matt Brown and Kansas State’s Frank Martin. They were at the fourth-annual Coaches vs. Cancer Season Tip-Off on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2011 at College Basketball Experience near the Sprint Center.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self applauds the addition of TCU to the Big 12 Conference.

“I think it’s good. From our standpoint, I love it when the Texas schools are in because that needs to be a recruiting base for us,” Self said Tuesday at the Coaches vs. Cancer Season Tip-Off in College Basketball Experience next to Sprint Center.

“Anytime you can play another game in the Metroplex is positive,” he added. “I think it’ll be good for football. They’ve (Horned Frogs) been down a little bit basketball-wise, but they’ll raise their level to compete. I think it’s a good add.”

With Missouri apparently in the fold for at least the 2012-13 season, according to Tuesday’s comment by interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas, the league is back at 10 members.

“To be honest, I think 10 is not a great number. I think the best number is 12 or nine because I think 18 games are too many in basketball,” Self said. “I’m glad that we are where we are at and not at eight trying to add. We are at 10, and I think there’s a good chance we could be adding. By the time Missouri makes the decision on what they are going to do, I wouldn’t be surprised if we have at least two more teams in our league.”

Kansas State coach Frank Martin, who attended the function with Self, Missouri’s Frank Haith and UMKC’s Matt Brown, says 12 is the league’s magic number.

“Let’s say six years from now you have a defection and are at 12, you don’t have the issues, ‘Oh the league is falling apart.’ You replace one team and move on,” Martin said.

Haith said MU would likely decide on its future conference affiliation sooner rather than later.

“I think we all would like to see it come to an end,” Haith said. “I think that will happen here shortly. I think there will be some decisions made in the next couple weeks.

“Obviously I think there’s a lot of rumors and stuff out there that’s probably not true,” Haith added. “I think until there is a comment from Dr. Deaton (Brady, chancellor) and our folks, it is what it is right now. We’re in the Big 12 as of right now.”

Self said the Big 12 is “just weeks away from being as solid as this league has been since its inception in ‘96. I think it’s going to be a fabulous league. Of course we want Missouri to stay. I think it’d be bad for Kansas, bad for other teams in our league if they leave. They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. If they do leave, I think our league is fine regardless.”

KSU’s Martin said it’s healthy that MU has voiced some concerns about the Big 12.

“In this day and age when there is confrontation, people run for the hills,” Martin said. “I love confrontation because when people care, confrontation forces communication and makes us all respect each other’s values a little bit more. Every team in the league understands just what a special thing we’ve got going and how much we need each other.

“I’ve love to keep them. We are standing here in a building in the state of Missouri that’s the history of college basketball. Next door is a building that hosts our conference tournament. There’s not a better atmosphere than the one we have here (in Big 12 tourney). I call it a triangle from Columbia to Manhattan up to Iowa State. Those fans all come. I’d like to keep our tournament here and keep it exciting. That means keeping Missouri a part of it.”

Baylor the best?

KU coach Self said he voted for Baylor to win the Big 12. “When you line it up, they have more pros than anybody. They have a couple potential lottery picks,” he said. “Coaches can’t vote for their own team. I’m not sure I would have anyway, but I definitely picked Baylor,” added Self, who said 14-4 or 13-5 would be a “great league record.”

No word yet

Self said he expected word soon on the eligibility of freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor, who have been allowed to attend classes on campus, but not participate in official team activities until being cleared by the NCAA. They were not able to compete in the two-week Boot Camp, but are allowed to play in unsupervised pick-up games. Practice begins officially with Friday’s Late Night in the Phog.

Self on Boot Camp, which ended Thursday

“Boot camp wore me out, but our guys did great.” he cracked. “I was real pleased how they worked and competed. I’ll admit I’m real excited about this year. It’s going to be fresh, new exciting. I believe we have some unknowns now, but those things will work themselves out.”

Adversity at MU

MU’s Haith is facing questioning from the NCAA about possible wrongdoing when he was coach at Miami.

“I think our team ... there’s been some adversity stuff, too — the Miami thing with Frank Haith,” Haith said. “I would say this ... our team has gotten stronger, our coaching staff has gotten stronger. I feel comfortable and confident our guys are excited for the start of practice Friday.

Comments

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Good to know Frank Haith thinks, but can he coach? I have my doubts about that, but at least the man can think and it should be fun to watch KU run Missouri out of the gym while Frank Haith is thinking, I think.

madamhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I think you are thinking about thinking too much...any thoughts?

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

These are the Frank Haith sentences that were quoted for this article, 9 sentences, 5 of them start with "I think" and a 6th one starts with "Obviously I think." Just one of those things you notice when you're up at 1 in the morning.

I think I could be thinking about thinking too much though, what do you think?

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 4 months ago

From his expression in the picture, I don't think he has much of a sense of humor.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

You know who's sneakily hot? Danielle from American Pickers.

Just thought I'd share

Chris Bruning 8 years, 4 months ago

she has her off days. what about the picker sisters?? Even more sneakily hot, i've only seen her once but ricks secretary (wife??) on american restoration.

bbeckum 8 years, 4 months ago

The girl from Myth Busters had a new show.

John Mueller 8 years, 4 months ago

Apherse-

This is my first official bashing. Sneakily keep it to sports.

Cuz I am sneakily starting to wonder if u have a job / pay taxes.

We're tax payers on this site.

Interesting point about Texas. As a Jayhawk o And a Texan, it's time for us to differentiate disdain with UT from negative thoughts about the state. This is a home for a lot of Jayhawks and an important source of revenue future talent for both sports.

Time to embrace Texans / Texas as a critical part of the future of KU.

PS We create jobs, pay taxes and love our country down here. All shared values of the great State of Kansas. Yes, UT is a bully, but don't paint the whole state with that brush.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

He's right about Texas, but wrong about UT. UT is like any other school in looking out for its best interests. UT just happens to be well endowed (rich) and in a state that has great resources in people and products. Envy is one of the deadly sins.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't know about deadly....but I would put selfishness right up there with envy. And UT is about as selfish as a school as there is in the nation. No other school in the United States had the kind of control over a conference like UT has had. It's time for equality in regards to revenue. I'm glad the league has taken steps toward this.

tical523 8 years, 4 months ago

UT is good in every sport and academics as well, do they not deserve more? They bring in way way way more money than the lower schools in the conference. Sharing is caring and good for the whole group but only to a certain extent, in which I am sure UT fulfills. When they go to BCS Bowls left and right the BIG XII benefits big time, all of the burnt orange merchandise. . . . . . It is not greed, it is economics, capitalism and common sense.

bbeckum 8 years, 4 months ago

"We're tax payers on this site." What does this have to do with sports?

jayhawkmike 8 years, 4 months ago

Glen beck is calling, pick up your god phone.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree. lived in Dallas for 20 yrs and always went the the mac to watch ku games with the alumni association. Huge turnouts. I think kansas should ditch missouri on the education cooperative and substitute Texas. Their schools are growing faster than they can keep up with their population explosion. This would really turn a ton of texans into fans of kansas!

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't engage in much Texas bashing. They are a fellow conference member. And a good foil most of the time in basketball. Football, not so much.

But I agree that Texas, as a state, is a fine state. As your Governor has often extolled in his debates, Texas is showing other states how to weather and even prosper in a recession/depression. I have a good friend with businesses in Dallas and have helped him in those businesses from time to time. Why can't the rest of the country figure out how to run a good commercial cafeteria?

Ian Brown 8 years, 4 months ago

"'I think our team ... there’s been some adversity stuff, too — the Miami thing with Frank Haith,' Haith said."

Is this a misprint, am I misinterpreting the sentence, or does Coach Haith refer to himself in the third person?

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 4 months ago

+1 Who uses third person like that? Maybe he is admitting guilt with that booster in 4th person?

Ann Oneill 8 years, 4 months ago

He looks pretty uncomfortable in the picture.....

Stan Unruh 8 years, 4 months ago

Considering the mess revealed at Miami, I'll bet Frank Martin is glad he's still coaching the Kitties.

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Frank Haith bears that Deep South personna. Bo knows!

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps if all Big 12 teams offered up one of their top 7 hoops players to move down to TCU, that program could get healthy quickly. Last season the BradyHaters could have closed ranks to send our hometown star to Texas. The year before, almost everyone on the site at one time might have sent Tyshawn packing.
However, this season, at least so far, peaceful hopes seem to rule among players and fans of the Jayhawk Nation. If Perry Jones and Marcus Denmon were delivered to the Horned Frogs, we might be in for an easier road to a winning league season. Maybe one of those top 3 A+M guys, too.

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm down with support for this attitude. As long as they are Jayhawks they are on the good list.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

I would never have guessed Frank Martin would have thought confrontation was good. not.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 4 months ago

33333--- No doubt---where's the "bug eyes" when you need them?!

John Boyle 8 years, 4 months ago

Why is Frank Haith the only guy not smiling on the stage as Bill is speaking? I think I see envy in those eyes.

Alohahawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Agree on Iowa State. They're an unknown with a lot of quality (but trouble maker) transfers who have sat out a year and will be anxious to compete. They're definitely a team to watch out for.

A lot of people favor Missery for the Big 12 championship. They just lost one of their best players to an ACL, and I didn't think they were that good to begin with. And then, add a new coach (Haith) to the mix. They'll be tough but I predict they'll be lucky to end up # 6 in the Big 12. Those who commented above about Haith's posture: Body language sometimes speaks louder than words. He looks like an outsider who's wondering, "What have I got myself into?"

Baylor, on paper, looks good. Texas (like Kansas) has a lot of newbies. Both have coaches who can recruit highly ranked players, but have yet to prove good at the x' and o's of the game.

Oklahoma State has some good freshmen and could be tough at home. Where they've had KU's number recently.

Kansas State lost almost all their quality players. Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Oklahoma all have new coaches. All four look like bottom dwellers.

No political jargon. But I will add: I'll take Grace Park of Hawaii Five-O any day.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 4 months ago

spot on. loved #3.

I think I St has a chance to surprise some folks this year, too.

Steve Brown 8 years, 4 months ago

In Self's seven seasons as head coach at KU he has won one national championship, six straight regular-season Big 12 titles and four league tournament championships. In his first trip to the Final Four in 2008, Self's team won the title. He was named just the eighth head coach in Kansas basketball history on April 21, 2003.

Self has guided his teams to 12-straight 20-win seasons and 13 overall. Self has won 10 league crowns in the last 12 years. The other two seasons resulted in runner-up conference finishes.

Self took three different teams to the elite eight.

So, what is Frank Haith thinking, "We can beat Vanderbilt, we can beat Vanderbilt."

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Mizzou would not beat Vandy this year. They are a top 20 team. Maybe Miss State... nope...

ParisHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

From a slightly different angle: every single KU player whom Self has recruited and who has stayed four years left KU with multiple Big 12 titles and a National Championship.

Yes, from Sasha, Darnell and RussRob through Tyrel, they are all National Champs. Taylor will have a hard time keeping that streak alive, but it is a remarkable one.

Ann Oneill 8 years, 4 months ago

Ooooooooooooooo, them are fightin' words....

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

No one cares if you're "doin' life in missery". Sympathy is in the dictionary so just go to the SEC & talk trash on some other site. That's all it is, so calling someone out with greater than a 6th grade education is why no one will respond. You are a non factor here, or there also for that matter.

Michael Luby 8 years, 4 months ago

Its that season once again people! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

I love the picture...could those stools be any higher??!!

Haith looks like he's thinking "no one told me it was a dark suit day!!"

It looks like Bill is saying...."and to my right is the biggest psycho I have ever met!!

Frank is thinking..." uh oh, this smile is cracking my face and I wish I had a toup as good as Bill's.

Matt Brown is smiling because he is giddy that he is on stage with actual coaches.

John Boyle 8 years, 4 months ago

Says who? you? I doubt you are or ever have been a high school coach much less a college coach and yet you think you know more about the rotations than Bill Self does. Have many NC have you won? How many league titles? That's what I thought. Nice talking to you.

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps you turned right when you meant to turn left? This is a KU Basketball Blog.

Coach Self took home the conference championship last year, the conference tournament championship and an Elite Eight. No other current coach in the country has won 7 straight BCS conference championships. Perhaps your 'horrible' includes a resume as a more successful coach than coach Self, entitling you to assess his work. However, that might only mean your name is John Wooden but he is the late John Wooden.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But most of the rest of us seem to see him with an entirely different perspective. Single-elimination tournaments are never going to provide the best team. Sometimes the hottest team but never the best team. It is part of what makes the tournament so entertaining.

John Boyle 8 years, 4 months ago

It's nice that the two Frank's saw fit to wear ties to this dress up affair. (That's sarcasm for those intellectuals out there who don't understand the concept.)

Kent Wells 8 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self: "Come on Frank, pull my finger"

Frank: "That's childish. And stop calling my Frank."

Coach Self: "Now come on, even your players call you Frank."

Admiral Stockdale/Matt Brown: "Why am I here? I'm out of ammo."

Haith: "Sure looks like a lot of NCAA people there in the back. Or, are those attorneys?"

Chris Shaw 8 years, 4 months ago

I hate Mizzou as much as the next guy/gal, but Mizzou needs to stick with us. Duke/UNC would never split, Auburn/Alabama would never split, Texas/OU will never split (Despite all the threats), UCLA/USC would never split, Michigan/Ohio State would never split, and certainly Mizzou/KU should never split.

I think Frank Martin's comments above hit the nail on the head. I completely agree with the triangle he mentioned.

I have my faith in this Chuck Neinas guy! He seems to have all the right answers at the moment and time will only tell. I hope Mizzou stays!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Since my entire in-law family are Tiger fans, I will be the lone Jayhawk in Columbia for Homecoming this weekend.

I must truly love my wife because I would rather stain my entire 520 s.f.deck with dog poop than be where I am going to be. Still, however, every one of my in-laws think that the move to the SEC is dumber than dirt.

One consolation...I'll get to watch my beloved Cardinals dismember the Brew Crew on Friday in a college bar filled with hot girls!! Obviously, my wife will be the hottest, of course. :)

Kent Wells 8 years, 4 months ago

That is a waste of perfectly good dog poop. Sling them at your inlaws instead. Man up Oakville! Mouse or man? Make an impression on those slavers!

And go Squirrels!!! Carp on the mound. Hope he doesn't get shelled like he did after his gem the last game of the season...

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually, it's fun knowing your the smartest guy in a 50 mile radius!!

Kent Wells 8 years, 4 months ago

50 miles? Really? Probably in Missouri!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

You're a good man Charlie Brown. I mean OakvilleJHawk. I'll be praying for you this weekend. lol

Kenny Terry 8 years, 4 months ago

Why is it that Ben and Jamari can be on scholarship and attend class but not participate in team activities? What else does the NCAA have to look at? I always thought if you can be on scholarship and go to class you were eligible to play.

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

The answer is in your second sentence: NCAA. These are the folks that love misery and power and are happiest when both are in the same situation. All three got shafted by a power-hungry bureaucrat who somehow got lost from Washington D.C.

Alohahawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Just thought of a great nickname for Kaleb. "Tarzan" Tarczewski. He'll make a great swingman in the post, yelling "Block Chalk Jayhawk" after every shot he blocks.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

That's great Aloha! How cool would it be if we switched to the Tarzan outfits too? It would be our new trademark - like Boise State's blue turf.

ajhk 8 years, 4 months ago

"then" "one of the poorest excuse" ???!! Funny Dummy Troll. I like trolls with wit, sharp angles, and a twisted dark ability to manipulate. Unfortunately, beyond not handling the basics, you're just plain dull.

lee3022 8 years, 4 months ago

Repetitious and offensive that you must string this drivel out twice here. Just go away if you don't like KU. We won't miss you, honest!

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

hihawk, Bill Self won yet another league title last season, and turned the pre-season prognostications of marvelous mouthy TV announcer Dicky V to shame. He won that title in a season when two of his veteran top 8 players underwent multiple game suspensions, a sad family death of a player's mother occurred in the heat of the conference season and his top recruit ran afoul of the NCAA infractions committee. Self and staff weathered all those storms and walked away with a 7th consecutive Big 12 title. Are you daffy?

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Our storied hoops program lost only 3 games last season, and Bill Self did a horrible job of coaching??? Holy Moly!

AZHawk72 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not going to weigh in on the defending/attacking Bill Self issue because I've never been prouder of him lately for jumping into the conference expansion/contraction issue with timely and biting remarks throughout. Coach Self stepped up while most moused out and deferred to their AD.

Furthermore, why aren't any of you talking about his reference about being 12 teams? To me, those are the words that linger. Self says 12. Martin agrees and notes if Missouri leaves, it's easier to replace 1 than 2 or 3. Some people here need to back up a bit and reread the comments by the coaches. Somebody knows something--and I hope it's...

North: Kansas, Kansas-State, Missouri, Iowa-State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma-State; South: Texas, Texas-Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston. SMU.

The following year: Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia, and BYU (Colorado-State as a backup.) This would return the Oklahoma schools to the South while these four would add to the North.

Read Coach K's remarks about "why are we stopping at 14?" Well, the best availabilites are on the table now, SO GO GET THEM! Expect the more proactive ACC to take UConn and Rutgers soon, the Pac to wonder "what if Texas never existed," Air Fprce and Navy to join the Big East (aka Conference USA leftovers), the Big 10 to wonder why they stopped at Nebraska, and the Big 12 to enhance both football and basketball.