Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Can’t quite ‘believe’

Jayhawks try to put big loss behind them

The Kansas football players and coaching staff are doing their best to move on from loss to Oklahoma State and prepare for their next opponent, the daunting Oklahoma Sooners.

Credit Kansas University football coach Turner Gill with consistency. He arrived in Lawrence from Buffalo sharing a one-word acronym, and there he stood again Tuesday touting the same.

“As we prepare for this game, I know we’re referring to our mission statement,” Gill said. “As we know about the word ‘believe,’ it’s something that you got to carry on and keep you moving forward, and I know that’s what our players are (doing) and our coaching staff.”

One of Gill’s first assignments for his players was to have them memorize what each letter in the word ‘believe’ stands for in his mission statement.

“The first letter of the word believe is ‘B,’ (and it stands for) believe in each other and things not yet seen, and that’s kind of where we’re at,” he said.

Things not yet seen, such as sound tackling. If you don’t believe you can tackle, you never will, but if you believe you can, that doesn’t guarantee you will.

“A good quote that I kind of looked up here, and I think really kind of hits me in a good spot and our football team too,” Gill said, “it says, ‘He who believes is strong. Strong convictions precede great actions.’ That’s why that word, ‘belief.’ You gotta have some strong convictions.”

I’ve been accused over the years of being a Doubting Thomas, not necessarily always a fair criticism. For example, I used to firmly believe I was going to win the lottery. Now I’m starting to wonder if I ever will. Lately, I’ve started to think that maybe rather than just believe that my numbers will come in, I need to pursue another means of dealing with financial pressure.

KU’s football coach’s pressure is not of the financial variety, rather from the unrest swirling around the state of his football team. If he’s feeling any of that heat, he doesn’t show it. His outlook remains positive, his temperament even. He continues to treat people the way he would like to be treated.

Those of us who don’t have access to coaches meetings, film sessions and practices tend to focus on the numbers on the scoreboard, such as the 56-7 halftime score Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.

Coaches study the numbers more deeply, Gill explained.

“After five ballgames, we’re No. 1 in the conference in net punting,” Gill said, referring to the aspect of the game the opposition rarely shows against Kansas.

He added that KU has the fewest penalty yards in the conference.

Next, Gill compared the Kansas offense favorably to that of the next opponent, third-ranked Oklahoma.

“Comparing per attempt, we’re at 9.5 yards and they’re at 8.5; per completion we’re at 13.8 and they’re at 12.5; per play, 6.1, they’re at 6.7,” he said. “Third-down conversion, we’re at 51 percent, they’re at 47 percent. Pass efficiency, we’re second in the conference, they’re fifth in the conference.”

He didn’t mention that Kansas allows 49.4 points per game, Oklahoma 15.6, or that the Jayhawks allow 556 yards a game, compared to the Sooners’ 330, or that KU opponents have a 55-percent success rate on third down, compared to 32 percent for OU foes.

Those numbers fly in the face of blind faith and could undermine the mission statement.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

Is it true that Third Eye Blind is going to preform there song "Jumper" at halftime to calm the crowd??? Or is someone pulling my leg???

KUbsee69 4 years, 1 month ago

You mean ..."that there" song or "their" song. Yeah, the grammar police are out ... at least for you.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

Whatever, like I don't have a thousand unpaid grammar tickets already! Another one isn't going to hurt.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

KUbsee69 - I wasn't going to say anything - but since you did, I also wondered about why the're going to "pre-form" their song instead of "perform". lol

baldwinjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Someone didn't pass eng. 101. Ok, ahpersecoachingexperience let's start our Hypothetical wish list for our next coach. Who's on your top 5 list. And be realistic.

Rupert42 4 years, 1 month ago

R U GUYS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURNER GILL HAS HAD 1 YEAR OF RECRUITING TO A TEAM THATS BEEN LAST IN THE BIG 12 SINCE FOREVER call me a band wagon jumper but i hardly knew KU had a football team. then the 07 year came ive been diehard ever since and i half to say we really are the sh!t!$t fans in entire world.. turner gill is insane for even attempting this job because we have dip SH!T$ who think that if we get a new coach it some how replaces they entire dang roster hes had 2 years here and he started out with a D1 program that had the talent level of my highschools JV team and u guys expected him to win the entire big 12 it just doesnt happen. and if you looked at the stats (which no one did because we are the laziest and dumbest fans in the world) ud see how much improvement the offense is having! now if u look at his two recruiting classes( which no one probbably did because we like to say SH!T about people before doing some research) youd see that most of his first class was offensive recruits and surprise surprise are offense is doing better and now if u look at this years recruits the its mostly defensive recruits and its just a hunch but i bet we do better when those guys get older( i cant believe i have to spell it out to u losers) i hate the way our fan base is and i hate the way we give up after a couple losses! the people who want TGILL out have no life and probbably the people the football players picked on during highschool because you obvously dont know what it takes or who it takes to turn the worst program in big 12 history in to a winning program!!!! and i can say this from all the real Jayhawk fans Rock Chalk to all the fakes leave gill alone so we can have a decent team for once!!!!

baldwinjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

That's valid. But have you actually watched us play football in person at memorial stadium? I have.. unfortunately, twice. If he doesn't go he needs to fire all of the coaches involved with at least the defensive side of the ball. These are kids that are going to school on a scholarship that's worth $100,000. They should know basic tackling drills and defensive assignments. It's like school they have to study and learn these things. Trust me they haven't learned anything. So if we don't blame Gill who should be held accountable for this? This is the worst defensive team I have watched at this level of college football, and I've watched a lot. I know we haven't gotten the recruits that other big 12 schools have, but we only made one defensive stop against f** northern illinois. Something has to change and I don't think Gill has the chops for this job.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

TK, fellas like you and I hit the "genetic lottery" and that's all that matters!

jhawk613 4 years, 1 month ago

this would mean ahperse is either Jason Whitlock or Mark Mangino.

pepper_bar 4 years, 1 month ago

TK has revealed that KU's football team isn't very good. Thank you for this shocking expose.

pepper_bar 4 years, 1 month ago

JacquesMerde 4 years, 1 month ago

pepper_bar, we know it. Why say it twice?

Micky Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

I believe that Turner Gill is incompetent to coach at this level.

willie_fu_fu 4 years, 1 month ago

This is what he's basing the teams improvement on??? Gee I bet were #1 in Kickoff return attempts aswell, Huge props to you Turner Gill for bring us to new heights.

Can't wait to see we are #1 in points allowed and yards allowed at the end of the season.

scarletbhound 4 years, 1 month ago

I spent several years as a sports reporter for one of the wire services on the East Coast, covering professional and college sports -- ACC basketball and football, the then-Baltimore Colts, Navy football. I give that background to support my belief that Tom Keegan is a lazy and not particularly bright columnist. He gives it away by admiting he doesn't know what goes on in the KU coaches meeting. When I was writing about sports I always had solid inside sources who could tell me what was going on within the program. Keegan admits he is not connected to the KU football program and only sees the scoreboard. To judge Gill solely by scoreboard after only two years into what everyone recognizes is a massive rebuilding program is shallow and insulting to the readers. What I want to know is whether Gill is making progress in the intangibles -- do players and coaches have confidence in Gill's leadership? Is he laying the foundation for long-term success? Is he developing good relationships with high school coaches that will pay off in recruting? Those are the issues a competent sports writer would be focusing on at this stage of Gill's tenure. But Keegan sees only what is apparent to everyone -- that KU is getting blown out. Good reporting is not stating the obvious; it is getting inside, knowing the people, taking the pulse of the program. The LJW really needs to find a columnist who can back up opinions with solid, informed reporting. That's what we look for in KU's hometown newspaper. Instead, we get nothing but mindless bloviating from someone who clearly has not done the work he was hired to do.

Steve Corder 4 years, 1 month ago

I've thought the same many times. Tell me something, Tom, that I don't know.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 1 month ago

My post would have simply read "Keegan stinks!" but I do appreciate the detail! So did you cover the Bert Jones Baltimore Colts or the John Elway-less Baltimore Colts? As a kid, I loved me some Colts football!!!

JayDocMD 4 years, 1 month ago

+1 Lazy. Unimaginative. Uninspired. Pervy (see Diane Lane/Unfaithful comment - still recovering from that nugget.) He's not just a columnist, he's the sports editor. I believe that's scary.

Funhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Bring back Chuck Woodling to resurrect the LJW Sports section!

Jim Stauffer 4 years, 1 month ago

Scarlet, You have spoken so eloquently the thoughts we all have about TK.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 1 month ago

+1 Keegan is an integral part of the malaise that KU sports fans experience! It does not hurt to have someone who is objective and critical, but his articles seem to be a constant moaning about anything and everything that is KU Sports. Thus I do not BELIEVE that he is a good fit covering KU Atheletics. Perhaps Keegan should go also!

KGphoto 4 years, 1 month ago

+... I guess, what is it now 8? Yes. +8

James Hubin 4 years, 1 month ago

tis4tim 4 years, 1 month ago

Ah, yes, but in the online world, mindless bloviating gets the clicks, the comments and thus the advertising dollars.

If you want erudite commentary, read George Will. If you want ad money, go with a Keegan.

JHWK 4 years, 1 month ago

This fan base would generate the hits to the site, regardless of the cluelessness of the editor. Despite using a fun word, such as 'bloviating' it isn't the commentary that generates the clicks, it is the Jayhawk faithful.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

You stated this so much better than I ever could have hoped. I am firmly convinced that Keegan has a quota he has to write each week and he puts as little effort into that writing as possible. Sadly, it shows.

kureader 4 years, 1 month ago

Your post was worth reading. I wish I could disagree with you.

ddeenihan 4 years, 1 month ago

Very well put. But, at least he's not bashing an 18 year old this time.

gchawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow, awesome post. Very cerebral, something which is definitely lacking in Keegan's drivel. Thanks for posting.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Dude. It's just a short opinion piece: Keegan feels that KU will continue to get blown out in the future. He doesn't pretend to have any inside knowledge on the topic.

I bet you disagree, and that this is what's at the core of your criticism of Keegan as a journalist. You disagree with what he's saying.

Another thing to consider, though it's hard to "believe": KU is a basketball school. The LJW isn't going to spend great resources digging up football stories about a program that is currently undergoing its usual process of "improvement": Two steps backward, one step forward.

We've all done this before. For decades.

And Late Night is almost here.

tical523 4 years, 1 month ago

Yea Keegan is an idiot. His writing is terrible and he is just weird and awkward on live T.V. as well, you can see that he believes he is very witty. I don't understand why he still has a job with the LJW. It sucks because on 'The Drive' the K-STATE guy Tim Fitzgerald is a cool and smart dude and our guy is terrible.

Cal Bender 4 years, 1 month ago

I've never been a fan of those who criticize others anonymously, so please tell us who you are, who you wrote for, why you quit, and what you're doing now. I read Tom's column and postings, and though I haven't always agreed with him I believe he has the right to express his thoughts and report what he thinks, as I think he does in this instance. What he hasn't said is that our coach played with a very strong team at Nebraska, under one of the greatest coaches. Gill wasn't selected to play in the NFL, and only played one year in the CFL (by rreason of an injury?). He had a 20 win, 30 loss record at Buffalo. That's not a record that deserves a guraranteed 10 million dollar contract. And his record at KU demonstrates that. So please fess up. Say who you are, and show why you expect your opinion to be respected. I know, a lot of people use the cover of anonymity, but in my opinion their opinions deserve no more respect than yours does.

mjhawkchalk 4 years, 1 month ago

Unless your name is JHawksince1950 then you sir are a hypocrite. Why should anyone on here state their name? Would it make you feel better by researching their life? Pretty creepy. Just like TK, scarletbhound has every right to post his opinion. Everyone else on here post as anonymous so why single anyone out?

Cal Bender 4 years, 1 month ago

Nah, my name isn't "JHawksince1950." My name is Cal Bender, just like my post says, and I've been a Jayhawk since 1950, just like the post says, when I entered KU as a freshman, and played for Don Fambrough in his first year as coach of the frosh team. God rest his spectacular soul! I thought I made that clear. So nothing in what I said is hypocrytical. But why don't we let "scarletbhound" speak for himself, under his real name, as I have. Hell, he may convince me he knows what he's talking about. In the mean time, I'm asking Tom Keegan to keep up the good work!

Keith Kienzle 4 years, 1 month ago

Cal, in order for you to earn the right to have that opinion, clearly you need to go to a highly trafficked public place, strip, and paddle yourself on the buttocks with a wiffleball bat while shouting over a megaphone phrases like "Baseball bats can be weapons too", "I am acting weird", or maybe go so far as shouting "I am a man who is paddling himself on the butt with a wiffleball bat right now". I think the court of public opinion must agree that then and only then will you have the right to call yourself Tom Keagan and wear the clothes you pilfered from his laundromat.

Cal Bender 4 years, 1 month ago

Holy schmoly! Am I the only one who has no clue what your saying. Give me your phone number or email address, and you can explain. And . . .gosh . . . I'm sorry . . . I didn't catch your name!

mjhawkchalk 4 years, 1 month ago

I honestly think the only reason why you keep asking for people's information is because you want to rape them. is not the place to try to get people to have sex with you. Try Craigslist or Omegle.

Cal Bender 4 years, 1 month ago

Oooh! You get mean when you get drunk! But at my age I take your idiotic, imbecilic, groundless, thoughtless, and, by the way, most inappropriate comments evidencing your dimented and evil mind with a grain of salt. I do hope your parents are proud of you, though I don't see how they could be. You sound like your an excellent example for the argument in favor of retroactive abortion!

kusayzone 4 years, 1 month ago

Tom, are you saying TG is the Music Man and using the think method, you can play beautiful music?

Phoghorn 4 years, 1 month ago

Not if you take away his whoopie cushion.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I looked up Mangino's record last night. Pretty mediocre to bad - though he was good at coaching bowl games. As stated by others, his greatest success was driven by a top-flight quarterback, just like it is in the NFL. Before Reesing arrived and after he left, the record is pretty bad.

Mangino may have started to believe his own press clippings and he may have gotten lazy on the recruiting, leaving a bare cupboard for Gill. Gill's coaching style appears to be built on building a foundation of believers, not so much on teaching technique. The result of Mangino's recruiting ineptitude and Gill's coaching style is a historically bad football team.

The answer to the question as to whether Gill should be kept for another year is pretty simple: Will the defense be dramatically better next year? If not, we'll go 0-9 in the Big 12 and we'll be looking for a coach then.

The issue of money comes up frequently as a reason for keeping TG. If the prospect for 2012 is 0-9, what damage do you do to KU by keeping him on?

Raymond Wright 4 years, 1 month ago

Nothing against Reesing but 2007 was about having a great D. Thanks to one DC that now sits on a huge pile of Boone's cash. No doubt Reesing was a major reason we won games but never overlook the D. That was one of the best, most hard hitting D's I've ever seen at KU besides maybe the 94 team.

Studogg 4 years, 1 month ago

That's a fact that is SO often overlooked. I periodically go back and watch the highlight DVD of our magical '07 season and can't get over just how intense that defense was. They were fast, tough, hard-hitting, and they! Yes, Reesing was good and a great leader and a fierce competitor. But we won games like the road victory at aTm because of the stout defense. I sure do miss it.

oldalum 4 years, 1 month ago

Sorry to all the Mangino supporters, but I always thought we lost that DC because of his opinion of and relationship with Mangino.

Phoghorn 4 years, 1 month ago

That was my understanding as well. I recall the scuttlebut being that he wanted to retire to a tropical beach - hence the job in Miami. Now, as we all know, he is at OSU.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for OSU and thier program - I often root for them when they don't play KU, but if you want to retire to a tropical beach, you don't go to Stillwater, OK. Of course, he may have had reasons for leaving Miami...

Either way, something does not quite pass the smell test...

Michael Leiker 4 years, 1 month ago

For whatever reason we lost him, we HAD HIM for 3 years because of the Gina

Robert Brown 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you about Mangino's record. Look at his conference record and it is nothing to write home about. He had one season with a winning conference record. The difference however was the competitiveness of his teams which I don't see today.

Mangino's teams blew alot of 4th quarter leads which was very frustrating. Of course, now we would be happy just to be close in the 4th quarter.

flyingfinn 4 years, 1 month ago

You KEEP losing...quit trying to defend a head coach that does not have any clue at this level what it takes to win. And my God quit trying to justify Gill's existance by comparing it to Mangino, that is past history, besides what ever his faults were we were competitive and we did go to bowl games. Where are we going now except to the toilet bowl?

Alex Berger 4 years, 1 month ago

Gill has no clue what it takes to win at this level? What an asinine statement. You have no clue what he knows and doesn't know. All you see is an awful defense. Even Lombardi couldn't take this defense and turn it into a brick wall. And he definitely would not have been able to do it in the 3 months that Shealy has had. We need a DC first and if that doesn't help then we should talk about major changes.

flyingfinn 4 years, 1 month ago

Who in the hell hired Shealy Oh I forgot it was our supposed head coach

jhawk613 4 years, 1 month ago

so is it fair to tell the anti-Gill crowd to stop bringing up Terry Allen? since after-all that is past history as well and has nothing to do with Gill.

danmoore 4 years, 1 month ago

Mangino's teams were competitive. Gill's teams are not. The losses we can take for granted. I want to see if he can make this team competitive. I don't think Todd could help this team.

Alex Berger 4 years, 1 month ago

What a great assessment! While Reesing may have had that Orange bowl win, he did finish his senior year as 5-7. A football team can only outscore the other team for so long (not that we are doing that with our freshmen and sophomores on offense) but eventually the defense has to stop someone.

A good defensive scheme and talent is what we need. Firing Gill right now would just restart the cycle of scraping the bottom for recruits. Who wants to play for a program when your coach might be gone any day. Losing doesn't help but Gill should be afforded the chance to build his team. Mangino inherited the talent to get him to that first bowl and he won because there were a lot more crappy football teams in our conference. Nebraska, Texas A&M, Iowa State, Baylor, Colorado, and Missouri were all mediocre teams. Iowa State is really the only mediocre team left in the Big XII, maybe Texas Tech (whom we almost beat), but the rest are Top 25 worthy. What do they all have in common? Coach stability, except Tech who had plenty of talent from Leach.

We need stability to get talent and Gill has started that on the offensive side of the ball. Time to go get that DC. Mike Stoops anyone?

Alex Berger 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Mangino did not have nothing. Gordon? NFL cb, not from Mangino. Nick Reid, all Big XII, was not Mangino's. And his DC utilized these players, that was not Mangino. Look at the roster man. Allowing 60+ pts is not on the offense but the defense. And I'm getting tired of this "high school defenses are better" crap. Do you know any high schools playing Oklahoma State? How many high schools do you know of with 10+ future NFL players?

mjhawkchalk 4 years, 1 month ago

The grammar on here really does suck. What kind of education are people getting around here? Plus your argument didn't make any sense. Do everyone a favor and pass the 5th grade before you post a comment on here.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 1 month ago

Wouldn't you have to give credit to MM for recruiting T. Reesing, I don't know of a QB that has suited up for KU that would be comparable to him that HCTG has recruited. In fact, J. Webb was recruited by MM.

For a coach that believes he is the offensive jugernaut, shouldn't he be able to get QBs here that want to be here and play?

jhawk613 4 years, 1 month ago

he's had ONE class. He got Berglund who was highly touted, but his inflated ego has been too much.

Cummings is supposedly a dual-threat QB, but it made sense to red-shirt him since he didn't have a grasp on the offense.

I think Gill has 2 or 3 QBs in the next class too.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

613, I had not seen your comment before posting mine below, thanks for the RS info.

jhawk613 4 years, 1 month ago

2 3-star QBs in the 2012 class:

Seth Russell Bilal Marshall

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

First, I'm not a Mangino hater.

Second, as I recall Reesing was a case of using a remaining scholarship to take a chance on a kid that the bigs had passed on who was still available late. Basically he was a roll of the dice that paid off with an 11. I don't know if it was MM or one of his staff that actually recruited Reesing, but he was not a prime target, he was a "whoa, look what we found!" And to be frank, they didn't really realize what they had until they had to burn his redshirt against CU in 2006 due to injury and poor play. Even then, MM brought Meier back as the starter once he healed. Reesing beat Kerry out the next year (2007) for the starting QB job, but IIRC, who would start was not decided until a few weeks before the first game of that marvelous season.

As to TG and QBs, his "gets" so far are true FR Brock Berglund (Highlands Ranch, CO) and Michael Cummings (Killeen, TX).

Both are on the roster behind SR Quinn Meacham on the depth chart. BB is not ready to go at least in part because of all his personal issues keeping him away from spring and summer practices. Berglund has a high opinion of himself, as did CU and many others, but for us it's "show me the money." I haven't seen/heard anything about Cummings to know how he's doing other than he is not listed on the 2 deep depth chart. Don't know if either are redshirted or not.

willie_fu_fu 4 years, 1 month ago

"Wouldn't you have to give credit to MM for recruiting T. Reesing"

I wouldn't, I'd credit Kansas State for being such a crappy place that Reesing had to stop in Lawrence to see how much better KU was.

miseryh8r 4 years, 1 month ago

I used to "believe" that keegan was the worst writer on the staff. Now I "know" he is. He is the biggest doubting Thomas in the world. I have always felt that a coach needs 3-4 years to prove himself and I want Gill to succeed more than ever now so that you have to eat your words.....something you should be good at.....

Do us all a favor and quit.....let the reporting up to the professionals. You report like Gill coaches so far and your 3-4 year window is up

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 1 month ago

Tom, isn't this basically the same article you posted the other day titled "No defense for KU coach Turner Gill"

milehighhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

No doubt.

Not the first time he's done this either.

Basically wrote the same article twice on conference realignment.

We need to dump lazy ol' Keegs way before we move on TG.

KGphoto 4 years, 1 month ago

Still none of those "vote up" buttons.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 1 month ago

This becomes more challenging given the limited number of scholarships this year.

Scott Oswalt 4 years, 1 month ago

The time is now. If we get blown away by KSU, he needs to go. I've never been a Gill fan. I just don't understand how he landed this job. Thanks Lew! idiot.

Micky Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

Giving players snickers bars for "practicing hard" is what happens in grade school. This should be hint number one.

Alex Berger 4 years, 1 month ago

That's from Beaty, who is the best receivers coach we have had for at last the past two decades. Nice try.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Gill better seriously hope KU is competitive against KSU.

johnnyhrdwd 4 years, 1 month ago

Everybody gonna hate after the ksu game.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

You are so right. Kansas will give KSU an unexpected beatdown, and then the haters gonna hate.

That's exactly what will happen.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 1 month ago

"Believe." Ha. I believe that unfortunately, we fans and alumni will have to wait until next season for the next win. Just hope the K-State game is competitive. Good grief, these next two games are on TV.

psychoanalyst 4 years, 1 month ago

Keegan has been on the job twice as long as Gill. He hasn't had to recruit anybody, hasn't had to coach anybody up, and yet the product that he prints off every few days is weak, lazy, and unimaginitive. I can no longer believe that he'll turn it around and give us some real journalism (like Tait, Newell, Bedore, etc). So, I think it's time to ask for him to "man up" and resign mid-season. After all, I'm just looking at the scoreboard Keegs.

jgkojak 4 years, 1 month ago

Keegan - your articles just sound 'mean' - making fun of the "believe" piece.

Its a motivational technique. You sound like a schoolyard bully, really no better than the message board posters that used to make fun of Mangino for his weight.

JS82 4 years, 1 month ago

If I had a guaranteed $10 million contract I probably would be optimistic too. I pretty much know I have a job or a very large payout. He has no worries. He is probably set for life whether he coaches in D-1 ever again. It allows him to look at the "sunny side" of what is going on. Obviously he wants to be successful but this was a bad contract for KU and Perkins made a big mistake in negotiating it.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 1 month ago

this mantra is getting old. Keegan is already on record he should be fired. he's been on him since day one because of conditioning...and it's never stopped.

we have a bad defense right's not a big stretch or newsworthy to point that out. is it explainable? absolutely.

should this coach be allowed to get some of his players in....get some experience.....and then solidify his defensive coordinator and staff? of course.

how many times can we say it: 3rd DC in three years. The DC that Gill hired, and was well respected throughout college football had to retire AFTER spring ball. The new DC, who had never been a DC before at the major college level, changed schemes.....and we're basically using all new players sans Steven Johnson, Toben and Richard Johnson.

this football team is so young....we're literally playing the future right now...and there's plenty of future that isn't even playing right now. does he need to land some DTs in recruiting? you bet he does. a new DC hire? probably.

let the man coach....let's get thru this season......and as i said last year, this coach will steal a football game this year...maybe two. let's give him the chance to do it.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Good post and I hope you are correct. I just don't see it. This team needs a new defensive coordinator for sure.

troutsee 4 years, 1 month ago

So, the real issue here according to most of the comments, is that Keegan is not a true journalist. How petty! We have one of the worst defenses I have ever witnessed. The die-hard KU football fans are angry as hell that the team seems to be in disarray, and we focus on the writer of an article rather than the horrible play of our team. Talk about missing the point!!

James Hubin 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh okay, well, we suck, we stink, we're not very good, our D is weak, our line sucks, our coach sucks our players give up, we couldn't slow down my son's pee wee league team, basically Jayhawks were never meant to play football, we were intended to fight slavery and now our time has past.

Now can we talk more smack about how much Keegs sucks because there is not much else to cover?

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

saidtoomuch - I don't know - I'm kind of sheltered, but there is probably still some slavery fightin going on somewhere in the world that we could help with.............

psychoanalyst 4 years, 1 month ago

Die hard football fans want some football articles with some substance, not just a screed that looks like it came from a message board. I am absolutely not happy with the state of the football program, but I also don't think firing the head coach is going to make it all go away.

To me, interesting journalism around this topic could be on things like:

• There is lots of talk about how coaches in today's world don't get long to show positive results...does that actually bear out in the stats? Or, do we just extrapolate based on a few high-profile examples?

• Maybe examine some other programs playing with similar percentage of underclassman and see how we compare.

Just because people don't want to see Gill fired right now, doesn't mean there are content with mediocrity, or that we are not dire-hard football fans.

David Robinett 4 years, 1 month ago

Like AlBerg said above, coaching tenure / consistency is the only way to turn things around. Take Dan McCarney @ ISU -- a program with possibly even less history of success than Kansas.

I agree the D must improve next year, or even the most lenient of us TG supporters will begin to doubt.

Firing coaches after 2-3 years will mean KU will NEVER get a decent coach other than a guy stepping up from the MAC (and those guys usually leave -- Mason, Gottfried).

We have to do something different in order to get different results. And something differing IS believing.

What gets me is how everyone is saying how bad our (total) team and program is, when in fact the offense is statistically among the best in the conference and country.

The problem is D, and there is a very clear explanation for that - losing our DC right before the season started.

It is soooooooooooo easy to criticize, but very hard to do the long hard, sustained work of building a program, carving Mt Rushmore, building a business, etc.

I am for sticking with Gill for 5 years. Otherwise, we are doomed to repeat all this for eternity.

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 1 month ago

While you are correct about the defense, this is Keegan's second article in a handful of days that says exactly the same thing. And since many on here already don't like Keegan, it makes it hard to not understand why so many are on Keegan about this. It is awfully difficult for even me, as a Gill supporter, to come to the coaching staff's defense after last week, but since that was already addressed by Keegan 3 days ago, it is essentially little more than piling on.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 1 month ago

It's funny that it seems like 55% success on 3rd down seems really low after watchig this team. I wonder how many of the opponents first downs are after 1st or 2nd downs then.

Robert Brock 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm still trying to understand why Keegan thinks KU should join the Big East.

Yolanda Gay 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm still trying to understand if people think Tom is the worst columnist ever; why do they continue to read his columns?

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 1 month ago

After Friday's Late Night, I'm sure Jaybate will back in full force. After all, basketball season will be upon us! Until then, you may just have to wait.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

I'd never expect for you to "go quiet" as that would imply you have something better to do with your time... which you have proven time and time again you don't....

mjhawkchalk 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Mizzou4life. Remember when ASU beat MU? Fear the Fork! --------E

Dennis Mahorney 4 years, 1 month ago

Teams are to us, from Midfield!!! to pin us inside our twenty. We are punting from, our twenty. Why would we not be first in "net punting"?

jgkojak 4 years, 1 month ago

One good thing about our 10 team B12...

We'll be able to get a fair evaluation every year on where our team is - no "down years" where we miss Oklahoma or Texas.

I've often thought its hard to chart your team's progress in a system like that.

I'm willing to give him 1 more year. 5 wins he gets 1 more year. A bowl game = we're on track.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Well stated. Unless we believe we have an inside track on June Jones, it's probably best to give him one more year. However, if we can get JJ, I'd say pull the trigger right now.

hawk316 4 years, 1 month ago

We've got to give this coach three years absolute minimum (and only if there is obvious decline after the third season do we consider a change) and four years if there is continued measurable improvement. It's only fair to let a new coach bring in his own players and have a chance to develop them. What is encouraging is that Gill and staff are proven successful recruiters. Yes, it looks dismal now, but if the talent level continues to rise, this program and coaching staff can still be quite successful.

But Mr. Keegan, it all starts with a positive and confident attitude. Gill is right on track in that regard.

John Randall 4 years, 1 month ago

The positive, confident attitude is not acquired by preaching – it has to be earned, then earned again every week. It is not a service to players, nor is it good coaching to encourage players to 'feel good' about not playing well.

If we are to BELIEVE, how about believing in building success by staying the course (not implementing a new defensive scheme for each game)? How about believing no scheme will work without making tackles when they are there to be made? How about believing fundamentals come first ? How about believing speed is a wasted asset unless it is attached to a hard nose?

I raise these questions because I don't know the answers – if I knew, I'd apply as the DC. In the meantime, I want the coaches we have to know I want them (and their players) to keep getting better – not all at once, but one step at a time. I want them to forget the idea that six or seven formations are better than one or two, if that's all you can execute competently. I want to watch guys playing defense – not to watch them 'think' about playing defense.

The clock is running on that four or five year window, and it is becoming more and more evident that time's a-wasting.

Kenneth Hillman 4 years, 1 month ago

Please go grab Mike Stoops as our DC for the rest of the season.

johnnyhrdwd 4 years, 1 month ago

If you think Mike Stoops would join this staff you are dreaming.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello pot, I mean Tom? The kettle's calling. He says you need to leave now. Yes, you are a good man, but the effort--or lack thereof--you put into your articles makes it impossible to "believe" you will ever produce anything more than an uninformed, half-hearted, redundant opinion piece.

Your writing flies in the face of blind faith and could undermine the mission statement.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Simons,

Poster scarletbhound has it right in his comment above.

"Good reporting is not stating the obvious; it is getting inside, knowing the people, taking the pulse of the program. The LJW really needs to find a columnist who can back up opinions with solid, informed reporting. That's what we look for in KU's hometown newspaper. Instead, we get nothing but mindless bloviating from someone who clearly has not done the work he was hired to do."

Mr. Simons. LJW Sports and needs help as much as KUFB needs help.

At least you can do something about it NOW, since Keegan doesn't have a huge buyout in his contract.

Please, PLEASE get rid of him and get someone decent as Sports editor.

Thank you from a paid subscriber.

PS to other Posters -- Are you also tired of TK? Let Dolph Simons, Jr know.

I did.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

In other disagree with what Keegan is saying. You happen to believe that KU is on a path of meaningful improvement.

He doesn't.

Therefore he sucks!

This may not convince someone to fire him, though I'm sure we all appreciate the sentiment.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

You assume way too much, and wrongly, leading you to err in your comment. In inaccurately drawing your conclusion based on your erroneous inferences, you address an issue I never mentioned because it was not relevant to my comment.

To help you avoid any further errors on this topic, I will clearly state here that I am NOT happy with the way things are going with the team.

BUT, in my initial comment: I did not say word one about Gill and the FB team.
I never explicitly or implicitly said I was happy or unhappy with the program.
The closest I came to even implicitly referencing KUFB was my comment that Keegan "doesn't have a huge buyout in his contract."

I only wrote about Keegan's "reporting", nothing more.

And being unhappy with Keegan's work has nothing to do with how I feel about our FB program.

I am not happy seeing Keegan's sophomoric attempts to pass off his "pieces", regardless of the topic, as journalism. Whether he is striving for (1) actual reporting (something I have never seen him do, but I thought I'd cover the bases) or (2) opinion pieces (which is really all he does, and they are often ill-informed and/or poorly thought out), he suffers from all the problems scarletbhound noted in detail.

So why do I read his stuff? Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while. There are occasions when I actually agree with Keegan on a topic, but even then his product is, as often as not, subpar.

As I told Mr. Simons in my email, I'm sure it's possible the LJW could do worse than Keegan, but oh, they could do so much better if they just tried.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

I've seen your other posts.

You fundamentally disagree with Keegan. These days, everyone paying the slightest attention to KU football agrees that the status quo stinks. But that's not what Keegan is saying. He's saying it's probably gonna continue to stink. (Kinda like saying Brock Bergland probably wasn't going to be in Lawrence this fall because he's a headcase. Boy, readers really loved that. But where is the kid now? Is he on the depth chart?)

So Keegan doesn't "believe". Now, if you yourself have made the same statement, and if you basically agree with Keegan, then I apologize.

I'd like to see where you've stated that you don't "believe" in Gill and think he should be fired.

But I really doubt it. It's the not the whiff I've gotten from your other posts. Not that I remotely wish to drag through those other articles to pull them up for you.

You shouldn't judge the Keegan article for its "reporting." That would be like confusing an in class essay with a term paper. It's just a short opinion piece that you don't happen to agree with, and neither do the other critics who don't think he's a good enough journalist to be editor of the mighty LJW.

texashawk10 4 years, 1 month ago

Most peoples problem with the BB article was not the premise of the article, but the way it written much like this one. It came across as basically attacking an 18 year old before we knew exactly why he was going back forth to Colorado seemingly every week.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Most people DID disagree with the premise of Keegan's article and said so in the comments section. Keegan was just spouting rumors. He was a bad journalist. BB would be back soon. But he had a sick member of the family he was taking care of, or something. And Keegan would be found out for the liar he is.

Now, I agree with you that people can't stand this East coast tone of his. Although words like "attacking" and "kid" are always a bit much for me here.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

I repeat, you assume/infer in error.

See my comment there from yesterday. "Talent allowance has been made. It's coaching that's killing."

Again as I've already noted, I occasionally agree with Keegan despite his inadequacies. What I "fundamentally disagree with" is his inadequacies, to include but not limited to his recycling of his work. To wit and your last point, this was "a short opinion piece" that is essentially a repeat of what he wrote after the game. Must be nice to get paid for "creating" the same work twice.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Then I was wrong about you personally, and I'm sorry. But I think most of the comments here indicate a fundamental disagreement with Keegan's point of view as the basis for saying he's a poor journalist.

You're still judging an in-class essay by term paper standards.

Keegan's fundamental point here is significant, if not original. It reflects a sea change in the fan base which may be the beginning of the end for Gill.

Specifically, Gill's credibility is lacking. "Believe" is seen to be a hollow mantra if Gill can't face things as they really are.

Not only is the product on the field pathetic, but the head coach is pouring syrup all over it by quoting punting stats without irony.

People won't tolerate that for long.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

"You're still judging an in-class essay by term paper standards."

TK is a paid professional, and he's supposed to be the leader for his crew. This is not an in-class essay, not a pop quiz, not even a tweet. It is a regular column in a space that is usually filled by him. A competent professional should be able do better than recycling his stuff from Sunday for the Wednesday reader. If TK can't meet his quota, he should give some of the younger, hungrier guys a shot at writing something that is worth our time to read.

djhawk75 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't see where Scarlet & LTC have said that they disagree with what Keegan is saying. They just don't like what he uses to back up his assertions--which is not much at all. This column is really nothing more than a glorified post. I could have just opened a message board and read the same stuff. Wait a minute...I did just read the message board, and I saw the same stuff.

It is quite possible that at this moment both Gill and Keegan are doing bad jobs. Anyway, I hope that Gill's team improves and Keegan's columns improve. And fast.

Steve Reigle 4 years, 1 month ago

Did you really mean to call it an "acronym?" As a journalist you should know better!

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

ac·ro·nym    [ak-ruh-nim] Show IPA noun 1. a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation. 2. an acrostic.

Hatter8333 4 years, 1 month ago

Good coaching should certainly begin to be evident by this time in the Gill regime. If you look at Coach Synder in his second year (last year) the team was making huge progress in many areas and not getting blown out. They even blew us out in our stadium. This is not going in the right direction and its going to go from bad to worse. The hiring of Turner Gill was a huge gamble and one that we are going to pay for for a long time.

squawkhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I think Gill needs to adopt Snyder's 16 rules. It seems to work for them while Gill's attempts to motivate...well, not so much.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

The last letter of the word believe is " E " (and it stands for) EXIT. As in, the exits are located at the front and rear of Lawrence, Ks and lead to places not yet seen, and that's kind of where we're at, I said.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 1 month ago

"...things not yet seen..." like a defensive stop?!?!?

Bville Hawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a journalist, but since at least half the posters here are Keegan bashers I have to ask: Is Keegan a reporter or a columnist? I think his job if he's a columnist is to write columns that provoke thought and conversation. In that regard I would view him as mainly successful. If he's a reporter then, yeah, I pretty much agree with the bashers.

Curious thing is, though, that columnists that I don't like on the editorial page I just don't read their columns. You bashers can't seem to get enough of his columns. If you don't like what he writes just don't read it.

Like most of the rest of you I want to read about KU sports and thoughtful comments about KU sports. All this bitching, and pissing, and moaning about every column that TK writes is tiresome reading.

FlintHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree bville_hawk. As I scrolled down the comments, I was overwhelmed by the preponderance of haters and their vituperative, spitting-in-Keegan's-face comments. Especially I noted the difference in the responses to Tait's similar blog yesterday; both address Gill's lifeless presser and both challenge us to recognize what might be the consequences. This (difference in comments) puzzles me, and it makes me think that, whatever Keegan writes about, he's going to eviscerated by a cadre of haters.

It's my understanding that Keegan is the sports editor and a columnist. The former meaning he has overall editorial control over all that appears in the LJW sports section — not just KU Sports. I believe that he has to approve any opinion piece (column, blog) and perhaps news stories. If I'm correct, then his mark is on everything within the sports section. So I wonder, why aren't the haters bashing everyone and everything in LJW sports. Curiouser and curiouser. If you want news, read a news article, not a column, blog or editorial.

As bville said: Don't read the columns if you don't like 'em.

I can't resist pointing out two of the most hilarious comments so far: The guy who wants to bring back Chuck Woodling and the numerous posters who call Keegan "lazy." Who could possibly be lazier than those of us sitting here posting when we know we should be doing work. Tooooo much!

And wouldn't it be interesting to see a comments section where you couldn't hide behind anonymity?

kureader 4 years, 1 month ago

Scarletbhound and LTCUSARet wrote really good posts here.

I don't live in Lawrence. I come to the LJW site to find detailed information and insight that only a Lawrence newspaper could have. LJW reporters attend practices and have special access to players, coaches and administrators almost every day. An evening doesn't pass when there isn't some kind of KU activity to attend. And, they live in Lawrence. LJW staffers can't run errands, shop, attend school activities, or go to dinner without bumping into coaches, players, administrators, alumni, former players, and others with inside information about KU athletics.

Additionally, there are more sports reporters at the LJW than I can name. LJW sports articles could be filled with great information ... every single day. Instead, we're getting lazy, uninformative stuff ... sometimes mean-spirited articles about coaches and players (like those written about Berglund before his freshman year even began) ... gossip about former players (like the Patterson article from yesterday) ... and, shallow opinion pieces that provide very little insight into KU athletics (like the article above).

LJW does have good writers. Matt Tait comes closest to hitting the target for writing informative pieces. There are others. As for Keegan, he may write lazy articles sometimes, but he's not dumb. And, he's a nice guy. My disapointment isn't just with Keegan, it's LJW. We frequently get better information from the bloggers than from the LJW staff. LJW goals just seem to be different from those of many readers. Com'on LJW, you're in a unique position to do a great job with KU sports reporting. Do it.

Funhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Well said. If you are able to pull up old issues of the LJW, like with your library card, reading the sports stories is a joy. Back when Chuck Woodling was in charge, the KU sports stories were informative and enjoyable to read. He was a local guy who had class. Many of Chuck's KU sports stories were "human interest" stories. Through his insight, we got to know the players, rather than hearing KU sports gossip and reading the Lawrence National Enquirer. And, this was with a LJW sports department that was smaller.

The sad part is high school football players being recruited by KU read these negative stories and comments and cross KU off their list. The other Big XII newspaper sports' departments are more supportive of their teams. High school kids can see that by reading this website.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Could you link or post some of these cool Woodling stories?

I remember Woodling, but not good stories so much. Help us out.

Funhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence Journal World, Monday, November 10, 1975. Fifteen cents. By Chuck Woodling, Sports Editor. Dennis Wright, stripped to his football pants, wasn't moving. Standing in a nook of Oklahoma's claustrophobic visitor's locker room, the Kansas junior fullback leaned against a locker, looked at the ceiling and smiled. And smiled. And smiled. Meanwhile, the locker room was a mad house. Players were dressing, reporters were interviewing and young boys were seeking autographs. But over in that nook. Dennis Wright just stood there oblivious, looking up at the ceiling and grinning. Not that Wright couldn't believe KU's stunning 23-3 upset of Oklahoma just minutes before. Oh, he believed it, all right. He just wanted to savor it. "It's a great feeling," he said, finally snapping his reverie. "You just gotta sit here and think about it. This is something you dream about." It wasn't any squeaker, either. We had the momentum and they didn't get any of it. I think Oklahoma got down. They had their chins dragging on the ground. I don't think they were playing like they should have." It was flesh and blood wearing Jayhawk uniforms which pulled one of the biggest stunners in college football history. But the basis for the KU victory may not have been so much near-perfect execution as it was devil-may-care attitude. No, Kansas didn't enter Saturday's game with quiet determination. The Jayhawks went into it almost as a lark. "We felt we could win," into it almost as a lark. "We felt we could win," explained defensive co-ordinator Lance Van Zandt, "but we didn't want our players nervous and uptight." So it was a nothing-to-lose and everything-to-gain feeling stirring on the minds of the 48 Kansas football players who entered Owen Stadium Saturday….. What it meant . . When Kansas upset Oklahoma, 23-3, Saturday, It was.. .. ..the first loss for the Sooners since a 20-14 defeat at Colorado in 1972. . . .the end of OU's 37-game unbeaten string and 28-game all-winning string. (OU tied Southern Cal, 7-7, In 1973). . .Barry Switzer's first loss as head coach. (He took over in 1973.) …Kansas' first win over the Sooners since 1964 when they won 15-14 in Lawrence. .. .Kansas' first win in Norman since 1961 when Jayhawks prevailed. 10-0... the first time Oklahoma had been held without a touchdown since Notre Dame blanked the Sooners, 38-0, in 1966.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah...I don't know. I'd expect just this kind of article today after beating OU.

I mean, if we did.

I like the writing okay. But it's standard stuff after that kind of huge upset. I like the wrinkle about the devil-may-care attitude.

We don't hear enough about attitude. Mostly we're interested in numbers, so I liked that.

But nothing here convinces me in any way how much better Woodling was, or the LJW was, in covering KU football than it is today.

Thanks for posting though; it was fun to see this.

W Keith Swinehart II 4 years, 1 month ago

I can't 'believe' that Keegan is trying to pull off the act that he is the voice of Kansas University sports. It is clear that he is unhappy with the current program. But, it is also clear that he doesn't know the bounds of his job as a sports reporter.

Good reporters give good reports on what's going on in the local sports world. They talk about players and coaches and events, upcoming and past in interesting and inciteful ways. They are supposed to build interest and excitement and... and hope about the future of the various sports programs and events occurring within the scope of the locality they are covering. I think they should try to show support for the sports program and let the AD and other administrative people do the opining behind closed doors, with all information at hand.

Casting a pall around a program is the last thing they want to do. The blackness of such commentary spreads to all readers, all being players, coaches, alumni and reporters and supporters of opposing programs. Keegan is spreading gloom and doom about a program he knows little about.

I like lots of Keegan articles. But the kind of journalism in his latest article is not within the scope of his duties. You can tell from the comments of REAL people above (not just the usual assortment of wannabe coaches and former players) who love their school and want to believe and hope for glory days that Keegan overstepped. I do think that the LJW, also, has a responsibility to be a strong supporter of their local sports, and let the school directors and administrators worry about the direction of the particular program or head coach (maybe 5 years minimum opportunity).

Regarding Coach Gill, I think he is a fine man, from a top-notch football program, with great experience from actual duty. He is new, with just a few players of his own choosing. He must have the experience and time to determine what he needs and then deliver. Nobody hurts more than the coach when things go wrong. So, give him his due respect. I have hope, and 'believe' he can deliver if given a chance.

FlintHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Do you ever read all the comments that came before yours? Keegan is NOT a reporter, so your lecture about what makes a "good reporter" is meaningless.

BTW. a disclaimer: I do not know Tom Keegan. I have never met him, never spoken to him. He is not a buddy or a friend. I am just a reader who's disgusted with the lack of civil discourse.

Of course we are each free to disagree with Keegan's opinions. But why the personal attacks?

Again, I challenge you and others to post the same comments under your real names.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

FlintHawk, or Cate, it's a "bandwagon" thing. Somewhere down the line one person made a rude comment about Keegan (probably ahperse) and it just caught on.

I'm not a journalist or a reporter or even a good example of someone that can use the English language well, but Keegan is just not as bad as people want to make him out to be. He must be doing his job well enough, or I'm sure LJW wouldn't be paying him. Right now, according to the posters on this site - he's the Turner Gill of LJW. He's the scapegoat.

I make dumb comments about some of the things he (and others) say, but I don't "believe" (starting to hate that word when it comes to football) that I've ever attacked him personally. If I have, I most certainly apologize.

FlintHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Probably a good analysis, nuleaf (interesting handle). Bandwagon, crowd mentality, the same kind of "group-think" that's led to some pretty awful stuff in our past.

I don't remember your ever making a personal attack, so, not to worry: You're not on the list I've given my personal ninja/kidon.

Eric Dawson 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it's "a bandwagon thing" for some, but speaking for myself I'm simply tired of the inferior product and the clear lack of time and effort that goes into making it what it is.

And it shows in other aspects besides Keegan's own direct product. I don't know Keegan, he's probably a nice guy, but he is supposed to be the sports director of our "boots on the ground" news source for all things Jayhawk, and yet the ball gets dropped so often.

An excellent example was yesterday. No LJW staffer discussed the fact that in his press teleconference on Monday, Neinas said Missouri has through this academic year(!) to make up its mind about staying Big 12 or going SEC. I had to read that on a national media website.

And since he is the guy in charge of sports, the buck does stop with Keegan. Like Harry said, can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I, for one, would like for LJW to try another chef.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Those who criticize Keegan as a journalist are the same people who disagree with his point of view (which is not merely that KU sucks today, but that he doesn't "believe" Kansas is on a path of meaningful improvement.)

Get over yourselves. It's a short opinion piece that doesn't pretend to inside knowledge.

Two steps back. One step forward. That's KU football "improvement."

When's tip off?

johnnyhrdwd 4 years, 1 month ago

Lets ask Kirk Herbstreit what he thinks, oh wait he said our program was an absolute trainwreck. Is Herbstreit more qualified than Keegan? Where do we draw the line, I was behind Gill but this is more than he can handle. Gill was never even a coordinator for the huskers. I saw Gill play in 83 and trust me I was rooting for him to succeed. Repeating something over and over again that doesn't work is the definition of insanity.

Kevin Long 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope OU drops 100 on us! I know O State could have. I want Gill gone and massive losses are going to be the only way it will happen sooner rather than later.

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Nothing OU does to KU will contribute to curing the Gill problem. Besides, OU tends to go easy on weak teams. Not always, but usually.

On the other hand, the KSU game will speak volumes about the value of coaching. Is KSU getting rather good again? If so, why? Is it because of talent? Or is there some other reason, like coaching?

And what about KU? Are we significantly less talented than KSU? Are we maybe even a bit MORE talented?

Much depends on how this game goes.

Phoghorn 4 years, 1 month ago

So, you are going to root against the Jayhawks because you don't like the coach - that is just real nice of you...I'll bet you are lots of fun at the company holiday party.

Kevin Long 4 years, 1 month ago

I know it sound crappy for me to say that. I loved KU football when most didn't at all and I hate seeing them going back down in the toilet again. I'm seeing the same thing I saw happen in the Terry Allen days and it makes me mad! I would hope to god if they don't win another game this year (which they won't) and continue to just get pounded by everyone that he is not back for year 3.

haydenhawkco 4 years, 1 month ago

So the kids have to be humiliated in order to satisfy your wishes?

willite 4 years, 1 month ago

Anymore if an article has Keagan's name attached to it, I just skip it.

zturner29 4 years, 1 month ago

Keagan's articles are a waste of time.... How about we start a fire keagan website?!

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't usually Keegan bash, but isn't this like the exact same article as a week ago?

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

What else is new? There seem to be two perspectives:

(A) -- Gill stinks (B) -- Anyone who says Gill stinks, stinks

The above opinion piece is (A.)

The comments are (B.)

Kirk 4 years, 1 month ago

Whether Gill gets much more time depends entirely on how KU performs against teams like KSU, ISU and MU. We'll see.

If we can play those teams close, or even pull off a win or two, people will have enough reason to believe we might be on the right road.

How we do against OU makes no difference. That's a write off. OU will probably just phone in the most lackluster game possible.

The KSU game will be huge in shaping Gill's future at KU.

BarkingHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I 'believe.' I believe that on Saturday evening, we are - once again - going to get the living crap kicked out of us.

And I believe it is going to continue for say, another two weeks, or until Emaw Snyder administers the coup de gras to this coaching regime and any remaining support for its continuance.

kuhawks28 4 years, 1 month ago

I believe too.

I believe Turner Gill is our Ron Prince or our Bill Callahan.

I believe quite a few of us knew he wasn't ready for this job.

I believe he's plunging what we had into ruin.

I believe one day the moving vans with his family and belongings will be escorted to the state border as they cross into 'safe' Nebraska territory when our A.D. with the Star Trek character's name decides to do something instead of playing sudoku all day.

That's what I believe.

squawkhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

If Gill truly believes maybe he'll click his heels together and then he won't be in Kansas anymore.