Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Run it up? Oklahoma Sooners wouldn’t stoop so low

In this Aug. 6, 2011, file photo, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops looks on during Oklahoma football media day in Norman, Okla.

With his team penciled in as a 35-point favorite over Kansas University on Saturday, Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops was asked Monday morning on the Big 12 coaches teleconference about his philosophy on running up the score.

“I always think, at the end of day, heck, the other team needs to stop you,” Stoops said. “That’s how I would feel, I know that.”

With Kansas (2-3 overall, 0-2 Big 12) coming off of one of its worst defensive performances in school history, the focus has shifted from what KU must do to compete to just how much worse it can get. Last week in Stillwater, Okla., Oklahoma State pounded KU, 70-28, and jumped out to leads of 35-7 after one quarter and 56-7 at halftime.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, who chose to rest several of his starters when the Cowboys jumped ahead 49-7 in the second quarter Saturday, shared Stoops’ thoughts.

“I think every coach has their own opinion, and I am not sure if anybody is right or wrong,” Gundy said. “From a defensive standpoint, I have always felt it was our responsibility to stop the other team, and that is our approach. I don’t think it is the other team’s responsibility to take care of us. From an offensive standpoint, when we got ahead by 40 points with five minutes to go in the second quarter, I don’t see why the other young men in our program who work hard and don’t get a chance to play should not have an opportunity to get on the field, especially since we were at home and they could play in front of their friends and family.”

Like the Cowboys, who rank second in the nation in total offense, the Sooners, ranked sixth, come to town with a high-powered offensive attack led by one of the country’s top quarterbacks, Landry Jones, and a potent crop of powerful wide receivers. Through five games, OU (5-0, 2-0) has racked up more than 2,600 yards of offense and 28 touchdowns, all against a schedule that ranks as the toughest in the country, according to the Congrove Computer Rankings.

While averaging 535 yards per game this season, OU has rolled up 45 points per outing against stiff competition. Already, the Sooners boast victories at Florida State, at home against Missouri and against Texas last weekend in Dallas. OU won those three games by an average score of 39-19.

All those factors, and more, point to the Sooners having a good shot to set the scoreboard on fire this weekend in Lawrence. While the numbers may indicate that possibility, Stoops said he never has gone into a game seeking to run it up.

“I don’t think anybody tries to,” Stoops said. “I think sometimes games, for whatever reason, whether it’s turnovers or whatnot, can get out of hand. But I don’t think anyone intentionally … well, it’s probably not fair to say anyone.... it’s just one of those things that when it happens you gotta deal with it.”

Clearly, lopsided outcomes are tough on the teams who wind up on the losing end. But Stoops said big-time blowouts are no picnic for the victors, either.

“It’s one of the more frustrating situations,” he said. “Because you’re not sure how to handle it. You want your young guys that are in there to keep playing. It can be difficult.”

It’s actually easier on the road, where teams in the Big 12 are allowed to bring just 70 players on their traveling squad. So, while Oklahoma State was able to play its third- and fourth-string guys during last week’s blowout, the Sooners will be limited to playing the guys they bring no matter how the game unfolds. For Kansas, that could be bad news, particularly because Stoops said Monday his team had yet to reach its potential.

“It’s only the (sixth) game, and the really good teams keep getting better,” Stoops said. “I think our guys will take that to heart. We’re watching the tape, and we’ve got a lot we can get better at. We’re not playing as well, overall, as we can, so let’s push for that. The better teams we’ve had here, where we’ve won championships or had opportunities to, we got better as the year went.”

Kansas and OU will kick off at 8:15 p.m. Saturday. The game will be shown on ESPN2.

Comments

Jayandseahawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Watch out. It will be ugly, and white towels may have to be tosed onto the field.

demonfury 2 years, 6 months ago

OK - OK enough little girl bantering over whose dolly is prettier. We all know that OU football is dominate to KU, and we all know that KU basketball is dominate to OU. We all know Saturday's spread is 35 points. And we all know that the final will likely be quite lopsided. Let's deal with the article at hand shall we? Call him what you want, but Bob Stoops is a class act when it comes to knowing when to keep the score under control. I've seen him direct his Offensive Coordinator to take a knee several times when it's prudent. Bob's about wins not spikes. I firmly believe that by seasons end, you'll see the best of Bob. LSU and Alabama have to play each other so one of them is out. Personally, I see Wisconsin and OU in the BSC Championship with OU edging out WU by a field goal in the final seconds.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

In a basement somewhere in Oklahoma, a 12 year old zoned out on Nyquil while violating several animal rights laws and risking the ire of PETA has finally gotten his gerbils excited enough to generate sufficient wattage to boot up his computer. "Y'all gonna get beat by 135 this Saturday, hu, what ma?" Get your ass to bed young man and leave those gerbils alone". "Yes ma".....

StirrrThePot 2 years, 6 months ago

Did someone ask the OU troll if OU fans show up for basketball games? Any sellouts to that arena? http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110303_216_B1_CUTLIN376814

Nice photos showing empty Noble Arena, there. Better get your admin and marketing depts on that stat!

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 6 months ago

Buddy, the troll isn't even a good one, y'all Are we really supposed to believe that this guy is from Oklahoma? I'm pretty sure that he is a poser. He uses too many stereotypes to be legit.

kufankam 2 years, 6 months ago

i wonder which stoops hates more... KU or TEXASS.... no wait, i don't wonder. anyone with a brain knows it is texass (regardless of who KU fired as their previous coach). seeing how he only hung 55 on texass and obviously took his foot off the gas, why would he vindicively run it up on KU? i am not saying that OU will score less than 55. i am saying that whatever they score will be because they are just better, not because stoops has an ax to grind. stoops has historically left his starters in through 3 quarters in blowouts (no matter the opponent). i know this because i am surrounded by OU fans in my family. stoops's logic has been that he wants his starters to be accustomed to coming out and sustaining drives through the meat of the second half (i am not saying that is the right logic - just stating that is HIS logic). so, if you see jones, broyles, and stills lining up when leading big late in the third, trust that it has NOTHING to do with us signing on to play on the texass network. if that were the case, he would have been more brutal to the source of said network a week ago.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 6 months ago

Nothing makes a troll happier than replying to them. Just ignore them and they'll be sad that their efforts are to naught...

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh how I wish I could be in Lawrence to give OS's home the Texas Tech treatment it so rightly deserves. You can call it classless all you want, but I'm just showing you the same level of class you've come here and shown. BTW, I'm sure you've heard by now that KU has a slightly above average basketball team and if Stoops was actually classless enough to go for 100, I'm sure Bill Self would have no problem going for 200 against OU's pathetic basketball team a couple of times this year. If you want to start preaching about fans embarrassing the Big 12, start in-house with your own fans and try to sell out just 1 basketball game this upcoming season. You are a classless embarrassment to your fan base and I genuinely hope that someone on here that's going to the game on Saturday finds your trailer and slashes the tires on it. From the bottom of my heart, take your prediction and shove it up your ass!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!

dallashawk05 2 years, 6 months ago

I am a KU football fan, and a basketball fan too... it is more fun to win of course... but winning in basketball doesn't 'make it all better' when the football team is struggling..... so I for one, get tired of the same old joke of, well bball season is just around the corner so who cares about football.... just my opinion

Andrew Washington 2 years, 6 months ago

That would be high even for basketball

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Do people wear paper bags over their heads to college games?

Andrew Washington 2 years, 6 months ago

No doubt stoops will run up the score, but if it gets over 100 (as Sooners repeatedly says above) then I dont expect stoops to keep gunning it. The game will most likely be brutal,but its not likely to hit 135+ points..

hawkster007 2 years, 6 months ago

Stoop Dog will definitely run up the score, he needs to at least score more points than OSU - - a serious Napoleonic complex (little man syndrome). Never have figured out where the moniker "Big Game Bob" came from, he seems to lose all the big games and bowl games. I found this article on line that notes in year 2000, he came by that title:

Stoops became known as Big Game Bob. A run now referred to as "Red October" included wins against No. 7 Texas, No. 2 Kansas State and No. 1 Nebraska in consecutive games. After that, there came a run of BCS bowl defeats over the years. Even as Stoops continued to pile up Big 12 titles, Big Game Bob became a term of derision.

Its possible Stoop Dog would have taken it easy on a Mangino team, since Mangino coached with him, but he will show no mercy for TG. If Stoops runs up the score and leaves his starters in, I hope Tobin lays a MFn hit on Landry to remove him from the game. I'm sorry, I don't have anything against Landry. But these coaches that leave starters in blow-outs are just askin' for it. And if I was a player for KU and was being disrespected, I would have every incentive in the world to take out one of those big name starters and teach Stoops a difficult lesson in humility. This will happen one of these days, whether it be a late hit or going to the head, and the blame will have to lie with the head coach!!

Andrew Washington 2 years, 6 months ago

i think hes actually serious about that 135 points. its possible, but stoops "finger" will probably let up in the 80s or 90s if it gets that high.

OKHawkFan 2 years, 6 months ago

OklahomaSooners thank you for your posts/advice about how our program can get better and how bad we are going to get beat. If I were a sooner fan I too would be very proud of my team and the fact that they have what it takes to win a national championship this year. Let's face it OU has more tradition in football just like KU has more tradition in basketball (hence you get the best recruits year end and year out). Seeing how I live in OKC I see it all the time how much passion a lot of people have for OU football (Just as there are a lot of KU fans that are passionate about B-Ball). But really coming in here to say 135 to Zip!! Give me a break. We know KU probably has the worst BCS defense in history this year for multiple reasons. But I still support this team and if I could make it up there I would cheer them on and stay all four quarters regardless of the score. Now I get the fact that you worship OU football. I'm sure that if Bob Stoops had a reality TV show you would DVR it just so you wouldn't miss him bathing, going to the bathroom, and eating with his family. Fact is it's really sad that you put so much time & effort/worship into your beloved Sooners. But the evidence is the last time I checked 2000 was the last Natl' championship for the Sooners. My advice I'd find something a little more reliable to worship than Sooner football. Like maybe Alabama Football since they have more natl' championships. God Bless errr Sooner Bless and hope they can hang 135 on us for your sake.

fire05 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe I’m going to start an official "Fire Turner Gill Campaign." Let's see if we can raise enough money to place a billboard in the close proximity of the school. If everybody throws in a dollar it really shouldn't take that long. The facts are..... Turner Gill IS NOT the coach to lead this program... Sure he seems like he is a stand-up person (I never meet the guy) but a leader of a Division 1 program? NO! It's going to take time whoever we get in; sure I understand that... But this team shows no signs of improvement. It is a face kicking, week, after week, after week, after... yeah you get the point.... Now if the administration gets the point and pays him his money (not deserved) but a contract either way, and get this program back to having a little dignity!

Ethan Berger 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't understand the big fuss with being on longhorn network. Game wasn't going to be on tv, and since I live in Texas, I can watch it. We aren't good, but it's not like UT played good last week either. KU UT could be a good game.

Jake Waddle 2 years, 6 months ago

So let's get this straight... it is Tuesday already so we need to hurry. The prediction is 127 points or 135 points? And are you "Lookin' forward to Saturday" Boomer Looser?? I think it's great that you are getting on this new phenomena called the internet and trying to learn to read and spell but if I read the word ya'll one more time I'm going to lose it lol. Thanks so much for the lessons on life, alcoholism, being a fan, and showing why its so important to have an education before you post your thoughts to the public. Rock Chalk and I hope you're getting ready for your two beatings in basketball this year. Yeah maybe you forgot about that... it's two games this year not just the one beatdown you're use to.

Kansas 24 - Oklahoma 49

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 6 months ago

Their time is done. It's over. I"m sick and tired of hearing about what a great (football) team the (Sooners) have. Screw 'em.

smartjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

All of this trash talk is going to provide so much motivation for KU that OU will be blown out!! NOT!

jayhawkintx1973 2 years, 6 months ago

Oklahoma 93 Kansas Nothing. And Gill said the defense was "improved". If you have a coach that keeps telling the players they're "good", when they suck, the coach has got to be fired, at halftime on Saturday Night. Pathetic.

If Oklahoma does want to score 127 on Saturday, THEY WILL.

Nicholas Cederlind 2 years, 6 months ago

Way to write an article that doesn't just assume that we've already lost, but asks "by how much?" before the game is even played. I hope we surprise OU and blow 'em outta the water in the biggest upset in school history.

jay381 2 years, 6 months ago

Reality check please. While living in OKC I saw Mike Stoops coaching first hand. He is one good defensive coordinator and coach. However there is just absolutely no way I could ever see Preacher Gill and a hyper active Mike Stoops work together. I read when Gill was hired or shortly thereafter he did not allow any swearing. Well, to put it mildly that rule would last about a half a heartbeat after a missed tackle in practice. These two together would be fire and ice or oil and water. I think anyone that has seen him on the sidelines would agree.

dhinkansas 2 years, 6 months ago

Why are Mizzou and OU fans on a KU sports site? Mizzou better worry about being 2-3 rather than what KU is doing.

Saturday's game will remind me of all the 56-0 type games I sat through as a kid with my dad against Nebraska. I think OU will score more than 56 though.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

History will repeat itself this weekend and KU pulls off the upset. KU 83, OU 79.

Steve Brown 2 years, 6 months ago

You got to suspect that Mike Stoops has some open doors into Texas HS recruits and whether a good fit with HCTGF or not, worth a meeting, right?

Doesn't the memorial stadium scoreboard only go to 99 with only two digits?

It's absolutely positive that we will defintely likely find something somewhat positive to build on after this game for the KState visitation if the kids start doing what we are suggesting they do.

Maracas 2 years, 6 months ago

With any luck OU will lay at least 80 on us. 100 if they don't play any fans.

gchawk 2 years, 6 months ago

This makes me sad, and mad, that we've become relegated to the position of other teams feeling like they have to have pity and mercy upon us. Not sure what Gill can do at this point, it appears that we're just looking at damage control.

Phoghorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Fun Trivia:

Q: Who was the last KU Coach to beat Oklahoma in football.

A: Coach Terry Allen

I think I still have my Terry Towel packed away somewhere...

kufankam 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't like the OU trolling here as much as the next guy... However, as KU fans, I don't really think using the "post season woes" argument is the way to go. Both programs have had their share of post season troubles...

gammimc 2 years, 6 months ago

This is already embarrassing. Asking Stoops if he plans to run the score up? C'mon!

It's almost like asking for mercy ahead of time. We're most likely going to get slaughtered, but let's at least get it quietly.

jmason 2 years, 6 months ago

Fire Shealy!! Hire Mike Stoops to run the defense!!!

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes we are going to get beat but quite sounding like a bunch of cry babies talking about how dreadful it will be to watch on TV. You have an off switch. Yea we suck. Deal with it.

gongs4ku 2 years, 6 months ago

For the first time I can remember, I wish a ku game wasn't televised. This is going to be dreadful.

bradynsdad 2 years, 6 months ago

Wait a second! I didn't know we weren't the odds on favorite to win Saturday.(sarcasm for non ku fans reading). Seriously guys come on. Your bragging about beating ku in football. I don't know about any other ku fans but I am on the pitt state fan pages talking trash about how were going to stomp them in basketball. Congrats OU fans you got the best of us. Bring 50000 thousand fans to our stadium. That would do wonders for our ticket sales. After all we always fill your seats during basketball season.

osborn_2009 2 years, 6 months ago

i heard they are giving out complementary tickets to this game. how do i go about getting some?

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 6 months ago

I will make a not so bold prediction for what ever bowl game Oklahoma plays in this season, When all is said and done , there will be more said than done and Oklahoma will get it handed to them again.

Funhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

USA Today Coaches' Poll has the following rankings: Oklahoma #1, Oklahoma State #7, Kansas State #18, Texas #21, Texas A&M #23, Baylor #24.

Only two teams left on our schedule who are not ranked, MU and Iowa State.

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

This game is a good opportunity for the Sooners to work on their running game. Other than Whaley's big run, OU did not do anything on the ground against the young Texas team. With OU running some clock, perhaps they can avoid an embarrassment of the Georgia Tech versus Cumberland variety.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Open invitation to OklahomaSooners:

Meet me at the game Saturday. I'll buy you a hot dog. We'll laugh and joke about how bad KU is. We won't even mention basketball.

After the game, I'd love to go back to Oklahoma with you. I've never been on a third world mission before.

I'd love to see your double-wide trailer with the Sooner red '67 Chevy Pickup out front. I'd love to meet your brothers, Billy-Joe, Billy-Bob, Billy-Jim and Billy-Jack.

I'll bring lots of soap and clean water and toothpaste. Well, not LOTS of toothpaste - there aren't that many teeth in Oklahoma. I'll bring two tubes - that should cover it.

I'll teach Y'ALL how to read and count and then we'll run over to the Piggly-Wiggly and get you some new bib overalls. The striped kind like the choo-choo train drivers have!!

When we're all done with the serious mission stuff, we can run down to the Red River and do us some hillbilly hand-fishin!! Yee-haw !!

As far as your prediction of 135 to 0 or whatever crazy score you've come up with next - why does it matter? There's not a single Oklahoma fan that can count over 20 with their shoes on. Except for the few that have 6 fingers and toes.

Beate Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought the OU fans were suppose to be the class act in Okla, but I don't recall any of the OSU fans coming on this site carrying on like the OU fans. Guess I had it all wrong, the cowboys of Stillwater are the ones with class and the bumming sooners are classless. Can't believe the arrogance and to think I have supported OU over OSU...guess maybe that says something about my inability to distinguish between good and evil.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure what's sadder, that Boomer Sooner has to spend his time on our site making fun of our sorry-excuse-for-a-football-team, or that I continue to support our sorry-excuse-for-a-football-team.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Also, you never did respond to my comment yesterday about Schnellenberger. You're here on our website telling us how lame we are questioning a coaching staff that has not done their job preparing our team well enough to at least be in contention. You guys weren't even close back in '94 and '95 to being as bad as we are these last couple of seasons, yet you forced Schnellenberger out of Norman after just two years. He was despised by Oklahoma fans even though he wore that fancy red dress coat as he marched up and down the sideline. You're being hypocritcal...though I doubt by the way you're acting you're even old enough to remember rough times in Oklahoma football.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Oklahoma-

The Sooners will roll through Lawrence without much of a fight. I think most here will agree with just about everything you're saying. Nobody here likes it, but it's what we're faced with this season. What we will enjoy, however, is at the end of the season watching a typical BCS game with the Sooners in it choking their season away.

miseryh8r 2 years, 6 months ago

Get the F off our website OU tool.....talk all the crap you want to talk about your programs loyal fans and history and blah blah blah but we'll be the ones laughing when u make it to the BCS championship jgame and lay another egg....

Big game Bob just ain't big enough.....hope Gundy and the pokes win bedlam

jayhawk2144 2 years, 6 months ago

just let me throw something out there that we are a young football team going against team who has more Juniors and Seniors that has more experience individual than our whole team in some position. SO BOOMER SOONER you and the tea sippers football team can run up the score but just remember paid back are a * in the future. BOY O BOY I HOPE LIKE HELL OSU BEATS OU

Phog1 2 years, 6 months ago

OKSooners: Glad you are having a splendid time trollin' it up on this Website roughly 115 hours before the kickoff. You must have an extremely exhilarating life in Norman. If you did not know before, KU is not an overwhelmingly passionate football school. Be that as it may, we are however one of the only two schools in history to have won a National Championship in basketball and a BCS Bowl game in the same year (along with Florida)... Something you will not ever do, I doubt. But that was then and this is now. Will you slaughter us on Saturday? yes. But for you to come on here and poke fun at how we neglect to fill our football stadium on an off-year is childish, given that even when you are convincingly competitive in basketball, your moron-clad, or maroon clad fanbase, excuse me, cannot manage to even remotely fill the little ol Floyd Noble Center. Remember one thing: WE ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. It is why Kentucky, Carolina and Duke have sub-par football programs as well. Our first coach invented the game. We have had over 150 consecutive sell-outs of the legendary Phog Allen Fieldhouse. So, not to belabor any more, don't think that we really give a fart about Saturday. I have and continue to cheer for your team when you show up in BCS matchups, But, it is people like you who make me think twice about that. Friday, the majority of Jayhawk nation is more intent on the beginning of what we believe could be an 8th straight Big 12 title in the sport that has defined this school for more than a century. Have a nice week looking forward to your "record" and we will focus on what will be the beginning of our "record".

Geekinout 2 years, 6 months ago

Run that score up so I can be reminded again on a weekly basis how inept of a football program we have. Heard the other not as good Stoops bro has been fired from Arizona. I've always liked defensive minded coaches!!!

matlockhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Sooooo.........the whole country is going to see how bad the Jayhawks really are,,,,,,,great.

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Boomer y'all ever get that AAU application filled out? Er ya still tryin' to figur out wut GPA stands fer?

CaramelMacchMan 2 years, 6 months ago

Oct 27th 1984

2 Oklahoma Sooners got their first L from 2-5 Kansas Jayhawks.

Just saying!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

Gundy should of angrily yelled "I'm a man! ! ! And I was up by 40! ! !"

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

take a knee run the play clock down take a knee run the play clock down take a knee run the play clock down punt it out of bounds

Reduces (I'm sure we would fumble a snap at least once) turnovers and waste a lot of time. Keeping things somewhat under control.

And don't think OU is going to send a little message to SheahoRn and the rest of the administration for crawling into bed with UT and agreeing to be the second game on the longhorn network.

Migady 2 years, 6 months ago

All in route for another bowl game disappointment. Represent Stoops

OklahomaSooners 2 years, 6 months ago

We'll score 127 points by the end of this game. 3 TD's in the first 5 minutes.

Looking forward to Saturday and your half full stadium.

Boomer Sooner!