Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Run it up? Oklahoma Sooners wouldn’t stoop so low

In this Aug. 6, 2011, file photo, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops looks on during Oklahoma football media day in Norman, Okla.

With his team penciled in as a 35-point favorite over Kansas University on Saturday, Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops was asked Monday morning on the Big 12 coaches teleconference about his philosophy on running up the score.

“I always think, at the end of day, heck, the other team needs to stop you,” Stoops said. “That’s how I would feel, I know that.”

With Kansas (2-3 overall, 0-2 Big 12) coming off of one of its worst defensive performances in school history, the focus has shifted from what KU must do to compete to just how much worse it can get. Last week in Stillwater, Okla., Oklahoma State pounded KU, 70-28, and jumped out to leads of 35-7 after one quarter and 56-7 at halftime.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, who chose to rest several of his starters when the Cowboys jumped ahead 49-7 in the second quarter Saturday, shared Stoops’ thoughts.

“I think every coach has their own opinion, and I am not sure if anybody is right or wrong,” Gundy said. “From a defensive standpoint, I have always felt it was our responsibility to stop the other team, and that is our approach. I don’t think it is the other team’s responsibility to take care of us. From an offensive standpoint, when we got ahead by 40 points with five minutes to go in the second quarter, I don’t see why the other young men in our program who work hard and don’t get a chance to play should not have an opportunity to get on the field, especially since we were at home and they could play in front of their friends and family.”

Like the Cowboys, who rank second in the nation in total offense, the Sooners, ranked sixth, come to town with a high-powered offensive attack led by one of the country’s top quarterbacks, Landry Jones, and a potent crop of powerful wide receivers. Through five games, OU (5-0, 2-0) has racked up more than 2,600 yards of offense and 28 touchdowns, all against a schedule that ranks as the toughest in the country, according to the Congrove Computer Rankings.

While averaging 535 yards per game this season, OU has rolled up 45 points per outing against stiff competition. Already, the Sooners boast victories at Florida State, at home against Missouri and against Texas last weekend in Dallas. OU won those three games by an average score of 39-19.

All those factors, and more, point to the Sooners having a good shot to set the scoreboard on fire this weekend in Lawrence. While the numbers may indicate that possibility, Stoops said he never has gone into a game seeking to run it up.

“I don’t think anybody tries to,” Stoops said. “I think sometimes games, for whatever reason, whether it’s turnovers or whatnot, can get out of hand. But I don’t think anyone intentionally … well, it’s probably not fair to say anyone.... it’s just one of those things that when it happens you gotta deal with it.”

Clearly, lopsided outcomes are tough on the teams who wind up on the losing end. But Stoops said big-time blowouts are no picnic for the victors, either.

“It’s one of the more frustrating situations,” he said. “Because you’re not sure how to handle it. You want your young guys that are in there to keep playing. It can be difficult.”

It’s actually easier on the road, where teams in the Big 12 are allowed to bring just 70 players on their traveling squad. So, while Oklahoma State was able to play its third- and fourth-string guys during last week’s blowout, the Sooners will be limited to playing the guys they bring no matter how the game unfolds. For Kansas, that could be bad news, particularly because Stoops said Monday his team had yet to reach its potential.

“It’s only the (sixth) game, and the really good teams keep getting better,” Stoops said. “I think our guys will take that to heart. We’re watching the tape, and we’ve got a lot we can get better at. We’re not playing as well, overall, as we can, so let’s push for that. The better teams we’ve had here, where we’ve won championships or had opportunities to, we got better as the year went.”

Kansas and OU will kick off at 8:15 p.m. Saturday. The game will be shown on ESPN2.

Comments

OklahomaSooners 3 years, 1 month ago

We'll score 127 points by the end of this game. 3 TD's in the first 5 minutes.

Looking forward to Saturday and your half full stadium.

Boomer Sooner!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

"half full" ???

I'll assume you're brining 25000 sooners with you because it will only be friends and family of our team at the game.

iluvdbskxjayhawks 3 years, 1 month ago

Nah, There will be some loyal KU football fans there. They might just leave at halftime that's all. We're not going to let you sooners take over our home base. I think we have too much pride to let that happen even though we probably will be blown out. Yeah we'll let u run us over on the field but not in our own stadium seats.

gardenjay 3 years, 1 month ago

It's not that you're off-base. Our KU F-ball fans largely do not understand what it takes to play football or build an F-ball program.

Still, I predict we'll beat OSU this weekend:

KU 72 OSU 69

Lance Cheney 3 years, 1 month ago

I think you're a week behind with that prediction. We play OU this week...

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

I like the score of 83-79 when we play Oklahoma.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

You may want to look around the stadium next time you're at a game in Norman. It is not a mass exodus that would be noticable on TV, but there are tons of people that leave OU games early - especially the student section. In fact, it is a known practice of people to by a ticket outside the stadium, no matter where the seat, because the know they can move down low to a better seat midway through the third or fourth quarter. I live in OK and my dad is a huge OU fan... I have been to several games in the last few years and the student section as well as many of the old folks on the west side bail at the start of the fourth quarter. I am not talking about blowouts either (though many games in Norman are). I have been to games when it was not decided and people were heading out. This isn't a huge issue at all. I just thought it was a bit "off" that you act like, "OU's admin would never"...

Now if you really want to talk about poor attendance - look at OU men's bball. Having only 3 to 4 thousand people show up for a Big12 game? That to me seems weaker than 30,000 showing up for a football game... no matter how poor each team is.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

The Sooner fans see the problem but somehow once Jayhawk fans step into Memorial Stadium they don't think about it. Maybe it's just all the students who see football games as an excuse to party Saturday afternoon. They party in Oklahoma and Texas too people, they just wait until after the game ends...

Joe Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

Boomer or Sooner- Which is it? No need to remind anyone of your football tradition.
Why do you have the need to defend your long time tradition on a KU board?

I remember the last football NC you all played. You lost and when the team returned there was literally one fan at the airport to welcome you home even after losing.

Please enlighten us ignorant football fans.

dylans 3 years, 1 month ago

Too ignorant in Oklahoma to know how to act as fans? Does it really take a month of preparation to learn the same chants a school has used for a century? It's easy to fill a stadium when you are in the spotlight. It's easy as a fan to root for a winning product. Try rooting for an underdog. It'll build character that you obviously need.

KUbsee69 3 years, 1 month ago

Do you guys really have 50,000 RVs down there? If you all bring your houses, there's going to be a real parking shortage.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

I would bet they have more RVs than houses.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Buddy, Y'all bring as many young'uns as y'all want to.

Buy our gas, eat in our restaurants, stay in our hotels. Pay for parking. Pay for our turnpikes.

While you're enjoying the game, stop by the concession stand, where many ex-OU grads are currently employed. We LOVE having visitors from out of town.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think our friend FUNHAWK would say

Buddies are fun.

Cmill1221 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if this guy will be posting on here in March? Do you sell out you b-ball stadium every year? Or do you just wait for the one game on ESPN where you play Kansas and do one of thoes stupid white outs? As for selling out our football stadium it wasn't a problem when we were winning the orange bowl. The fans are just choosing to hold themselves to a higher standard and not putting up w/ this sorry excuse for a football coach.

hawks2008 3 years, 1 month ago

At the basketball game in norman last yr. There were more KU fans there in OU fans, about 3 to 1. Thank you for not showing up,As I got to set right behind the Kansas bench.

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I hope ESPN2 shows the campus and city. Lawrence is beautiful in the fall. It will help the basketball recruiting. (might as well look for some positives)

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

jayhawktalk 3 years, 1 month ago

And, in fact, everything DOES revolve around KU basketball.

Not knocking Galileo - no way he could have known that at the time.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

Haha! A showdown! "If you don't show up to this blog argument you aren't a real man!" Come on... get a job.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

The only thing that would be more loserish would be if this guy copied and pasted the post to every article on the site.

Phoghorn 3 years, 1 month ago

Shhhhhhhh! Don't give the Mizzou troll any ideas. If he was planning on doing this he would have leaked it to the media already.

Lance Cheney 3 years, 1 month ago

Typical mizzoo loser. Their football team's not that great this year, their basketball team's bad, nothing better to do than go get on a KU sports website and post a reply on an article about KU-OU. And let me beat you to the punch: yes, our football team is atrocious and we are getting blown out to record proportions on a regular basis.

AsadZ 3 years, 1 month ago

I loved when Bate took your back side in that post. It was one his best. I could not stop laughing.

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 1 month ago

The Athletic department is giving away free student tickets. Try 3/4 full.

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

Here are my favorite OU FB highlights.

BTW LSU beats OU by 14+ if they play in the BCS.

Bear86 3 years, 1 month ago

rockchalkjhawk1 3 years, 1 month ago

Why are you even on this site???? This site is for Kansas fans that want to talk with other fans so get off. You are an absolute disgrace to Oklahoma fans everywhere. ohh ya and wait till this winter when we score 100 on your team.

Migady 3 years, 1 month ago

All in route for another bowl game disappointment. Represent Stoops

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I AM a Boise State fan. That was my favorite bowl game of all time.

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I just like their football program. I need someone to follow during football season. Reference was to bowl with OU. Love KU. Two of my kids were born in Lawrence

2005grad 3 years, 1 month ago

I would love their football program too if I played 11 cupcakes in a 12 game season...

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

take a knee run the play clock down take a knee run the play clock down take a knee run the play clock down punt it out of bounds

Reduces (I'm sure we would fumble a snap at least once) turnovers and waste a lot of time. Keeping things somewhat under control.

And don't think OU is going to send a little message to SheahoRn and the rest of the administration for crawling into bed with UT and agreeing to be the second game on the longhorn network.

lama 3 years, 1 month ago

Big Game Bob is getting ready for another blowout bowl loss.

droppinplates 3 years, 1 month ago

OU will kill KU. Yes, we all know that. Our excuse for a football team is horrible. So what's the point coming on here to talk sh*t. Are you playing? If not, F off.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

And don't think Bob hasn't got a call from Mangino asking for a little favor.

stuck88 3 years, 1 month ago

You have DVR in your RV? Now thats living the dream.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Gundy should of angrily yelled "I'm a man! ! ! And I was up by 40! ! !"

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Best posting I have seen here in a long time!!! Love it!

stuck88 3 years, 1 month ago

As much as I hate you for ragging on Gill so much, I must say that most of your comments as of late have been pretty funny.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

Oct 27th 1984

2 Oklahoma Sooners got their first L from 2-5 Kansas Jayhawks.

Just saying!

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 1 month ago

Red Demon 3 years, 1 month ago

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

If they score 135, hats of to Sooners and give you #1 standing in BCS.

But if they don't, I want you to come on this website again and have your say.

-Jayhawk fan with some class.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

It's almost impossible to do - but you're making yourself look even more stupid with your idiotic score predictions. Do yourself a favor and just crawl back into your hole.

I will guarantee you that there is no basketball counterpart to you on our side. When we whip your butts year in and year out - we're not on your site talking smack.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

And were definitely not saying "y'all" either.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Good point, nuleaf. It takes some real class to go on the site of a team that you pound on a regular basis and talk trash.

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 1 month ago

Troy Aikman was the backup quarterback for OU that year, their starter Danny Bradley got hurt and Aikman had to run the option. I think Wichita State beat KU the year before. A typically horrible KU team used to make the first half a game.

sawman3333 3 years, 1 month ago

I believe the starter was Jamielle Hollieway not Danny Bradley.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Aikman was actually the third-string QB. The second-string QB was academically ineligible. And it was the first start of Aikman's career, as a true freshman.

KGphoto 3 years, 1 month ago

Boomer y'all ever get that AAU application filled out? Er ya still tryin' to figur out wut GPA stands fer?

iluvdbskxjayhawks 3 years, 1 month ago

KU might be in line to be kicked out of AAU like Nebraska did. I received an email months ago reassuring jayhawks that KU is doing their best to keep their AAU status.

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

The NCI designation for the KU Med Center means KU will be an AAU member for decades to come, or at least until biomedical funding is no longer weighed the heaviest when determining AAU status.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

+1.

unless KU MED is thinking about joining other conference.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

+1, well you don't need academic standards if your stadium sells out 80,000 seats. Ask the SEC.

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Sooooo.........the whole country is going to see how bad the Jayhawks really are,,,,,,,great.

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I am looking to shout during basketball season. How about you?

Bear86 3 years, 1 month ago

gchawk 3 years, 1 month ago

"sinicicm"???? Nice try at a big word. Did you get your illustrious "edumacation" at OU?

rmichaelscott 3 years, 1 month ago

OklahomaSonners... I really wish some of my fellow Jayhawk fans would have taken your post to heart. As mentioned earlier conference realignment has taught us that basketball for the moment means darn near nothing. Should conferences eventually go to 16-20 teams then maybe it would carry some weight due to a lack of quality football teams to choose from. I recently went back to Lawrence for our Homecoming game against Texas Tech and was amazed by how many students and alumni in Lawrence that weekend weren't attending the game. There was no reason for this considering it was an absolutely perfect day out and tickets were readily available. To make matters worse, I saw soooo many students and alumni on patios where the game wasn't even being shown. I don't know if it's a product of living in Dallas for the last 6 years as many KU grads do now, but even when KU plays here on TV the KU bars are packed with KU alumni & fans to watch the game. Maybe that is a biproduct of being around so many OU & TX fans that support their teams every weekend. Roadtrips, alumni watch parties, etc... Either way, if we don't get serious about football and fast I think we are going to really regret it later. Playing in the Mountain West would destroy our basketball program. So for the love of the b-ball team or football team. Support the football program. Our athletics department needs to do more to ingrain this in students when they arrive and it will carry over when they are alumni = donations.

Joe Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah the great OU fans showed up at Will Rogers Airport after you lost your last bowl game. There was only ONE OU fan at the airport to welcome the losing bowl game team home.

You're sounding like a moron. Your board game is getting lame and ridiculous.

OU fans are fair weather fans. OU fans only if you win.

BTW- Boise State humiliated OU. They made OU look like a girls powder puff team. They completely schooled OU that game.

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

Seriously, you're going to sit in front of your computer and preach about supporting a team win or lose. How about spreading that message when basketball season rolls around so OU isn't playing in a half empty arena the two times they are on TV this year. If you want to talk about the game Saturday, that's one thing but come here with a "holier than thou" attitude about OU's fanbase does nothing but make you look like an arrogant a-hole.

chalky 3 years, 1 month ago

The posts here are more positive than even our kansas media puts out. These fans here have hope when not alot of hope is on the horizon. You talk to us from a position of power. There is no doubt that OU is consistantly top 10. We are the small fan base that pulls for a struggling team. We don't fill our stadium, but this is our team. We prove we are not fair weather fans daily. We will check up on you if you have what it takes to support your team when the chips are down someday.

chalkitup1811 3 years, 1 month ago

What about when OU Sucked in the 90's and no one went to the games! If it wasn't for stoops who knows where OU would be today ? and i'm sure your one of the people who has left before half time! don't lie you ingnorant SOB OU Fan. obviously you don't go to many OU games. i wonder how many people left after the ball state game ?

babyjay1 3 years, 1 month ago

You are talking about WHAT?? Before you embarass yourself on another team's message board, you need a dictionary AND spellcheck! Your university has a very good football team every year and we have a very good basketball team every year.... Oh well... Try not giving advice to others unless you can make sense while doing it.

AsadZ 3 years, 1 month ago

Boomer, All you care about is football. What else does OU have to offer. Look at your school's performance in other sports. Your GPA sucks. Your academics are below par. Plus your campus is awful. Ugly and fat girls.

You come her and pound your girly chest on football. get out of here. And yes Oklahoma is not OK.

Geekinout 3 years, 1 month ago

Run that score up so I can be reminded again on a weekly basis how inept of a football program we have. Heard the other not as good Stoops bro has been fired from Arizona. I've always liked defensive minded coaches!!!

jhox 3 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't mind seeing Gill bring on Mike Stoops as a consultant for the rest of the season to try to improve our defense. Heaven knows we need someone to come in and work with our defense. Maybe if it was Bob's brother, he wouldn't feel so compelled to hang 80+ on us?

Phog1 3 years, 1 month ago

OKSooners: Glad you are having a splendid time trollin' it up on this Website roughly 115 hours before the kickoff. You must have an extremely exhilarating life in Norman. If you did not know before, KU is not an overwhelmingly passionate football school. Be that as it may, we are however one of the only two schools in history to have won a National Championship in basketball and a BCS Bowl game in the same year (along with Florida)... Something you will not ever do, I doubt. But that was then and this is now. Will you slaughter us on Saturday? yes. But for you to come on here and poke fun at how we neglect to fill our football stadium on an off-year is childish, given that even when you are convincingly competitive in basketball, your moron-clad, or maroon clad fanbase, excuse me, cannot manage to even remotely fill the little ol Floyd Noble Center. Remember one thing: WE ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. It is why Kentucky, Carolina and Duke have sub-par football programs as well. Our first coach invented the game. We have had over 150 consecutive sell-outs of the legendary Phog Allen Fieldhouse. So, not to belabor any more, don't think that we really give a fart about Saturday. I have and continue to cheer for your team when you show up in BCS matchups, But, it is people like you who make me think twice about that. Friday, the majority of Jayhawk nation is more intent on the beginning of what we believe could be an 8th straight Big 12 title in the sport that has defined this school for more than a century. Have a nice week looking forward to your "record" and we will focus on what will be the beginning of our "record".

Yosemite 3 years, 1 month ago

This is exactly why KU is irrelevant in the realignment talks. We'll end up like Memphis someday.

iluvdbskxjayhawks 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah that's why people still keep on calling us the "Forgotten Five".

jayhawk2144 3 years, 1 month ago

just let me throw something out there that we are a young football team going against team who has more Juniors and Seniors that has more experience individual than our whole team in some position. SO BOOMER SOONER you and the tea sippers football team can run up the score but just remember paid back are a * in the future. BOY O BOY I HOPE LIKE HELL OSU BEATS OU

miseryh8r 3 years, 1 month ago

Get the F off our website OU tool.....talk all the crap you want to talk about your programs loyal fans and history and blah blah blah but we'll be the ones laughing when u make it to the BCS championship jgame and lay another egg....

Big game Bob just ain't big enough.....hope Gundy and the pokes win bedlam

Joe Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't think they are a real OU fan. I work with several OU fans and they are reading every post. They want to know know who this moron is giving OU fans a really bad rep.

OklahomaSooners is not a real OU fan.

He's a moron and many other things according to real OU fans here in OKC.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Oklahoma-

The Sooners will roll through Lawrence without much of a fight. I think most here will agree with just about everything you're saying. Nobody here likes it, but it's what we're faced with this season. What we will enjoy, however, is at the end of the season watching a typical BCS game with the Sooners in it choking their season away.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 1 month ago

Nebraska---

I am thinking what you're thinking. What would be funny as ever, is to see Boise State beat OU in a bowl game. Always look forward to that. It is ironic how when one trash talks on another school's website that 90% of the time it comes back to bite them from behind.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Also, you never did respond to my comment yesterday about Schnellenberger. You're here on our website telling us how lame we are questioning a coaching staff that has not done their job preparing our team well enough to at least be in contention. You guys weren't even close back in '94 and '95 to being as bad as we are these last couple of seasons, yet you forced Schnellenberger out of Norman after just two years. He was despised by Oklahoma fans even though he wore that fancy red dress coat as he marched up and down the sideline. You're being hypocritcal...though I doubt by the way you're acting you're even old enough to remember rough times in Oklahoma football.

jay381 3 years, 1 month ago

Schnellenberger was fired after one year. His record was 5-5-1 in his one and only one season.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually...pretty sure he took over during the 94 season and then had one full year in 95.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually you're right. Even though he was hired to replace Gibbs at the end of the season in '94, Gibbs was allowed to finish out the season. Here is a funny quote from Schnellenberger at the end of his one and only season in Norman.

On December 19, 1995, Schnellenberger resigned unexpectedly after one season, stating that "in recent months a climate has developed toward the program, understandably in some cased and perhaps unfairly in others, that has changed my outlook on the situation. A change could help improve that climate.

Wow, Sooner..you guys gave him one year where he went 5-5-1. We're looking at a 2-10 season in the face following a 3-9 season. I don't think I need to say any more. Your expectations in football are the same as ours are in basketball. What we're asking out of any football coaching staff at Kansas is to prepare our football team..something this staff has failed to do since it has arrived. You're not welcome here any longer from my standpoint as you've done nothing but insult and throw out misconstrued facts and opinions. Grow up and then come back please.

Al Martin 3 years, 1 month ago

Not to mention the glorious Gibbs and Blake years. We actually had winning streaks against OU during that time.

Beate Williams 3 years, 1 month ago

I thought the OU fans were suppose to be the class act in Okla, but I don't recall any of the OSU fans coming on this site carrying on like the OU fans. Guess I had it all wrong, the cowboys of Stillwater are the ones with class and the bumming sooners are classless. Can't believe the arrogance and to think I have supported OU over OSU...guess maybe that says something about my inability to distinguish between good and evil.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, I think that all of the OSU fans actually root for OU in football. I work with an OSU alumnus, and he actually roots for OU to beat OSU in football every year.

I think that it's just innate for all Okies to root for Sooner football.

I, though I was born in Tulsa, actually do like OSU better.

Phoghorn 3 years, 1 month ago

OSU fans are the best. I have always enjoyed the KU-OSU rivalry because it is based on a mutual respect and on a good product (basketball). OSU is still a place where you can take the kids to an athletic event without having to worry about them getting pelted with garbage. If the Big 12 was to break up, the KU-OSU rivalry would be the one I would miss the most. I could not care less about KU-MU.

Open invitation to OklahomaSooners:

Meet me at the game Saturday. I'll buy you a hot dog. We'll laugh and joke about how bad KU is. We won't even mention basketball.

After the game, I'd love to go back to Oklahoma with you. I've never been on a third world mission before.

I'd love to see your double-wide trailer with the Sooner red '67 Chevy Pickup out front. I'd love to meet your brothers, Billy-Joe, Billy-Bob, Billy-Jim and Billy-Jack.

I'll bring lots of soap and clean water and toothpaste. Well, not LOTS of toothpaste - there aren't that many teeth in Oklahoma. I'll bring two tubes - that should cover it.

I'll teach Y'ALL how to read and count and then we'll run over to the Piggly-Wiggly and get you some new bib overalls. The striped kind like the choo-choo train drivers have!!

When we're all done with the serious mission stuff, we can run down to the Red River and do us some hillbilly hand-fishin!! Yee-haw !!

As far as your prediction of 135 to 0 or whatever crazy score you've come up with next - why does it matter? There's not a single Oklahoma fan that can count over 20 with their shoes on. Except for the few that have 6 fingers and toes.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

AtlJay - I've had some posts that I'm not proud of because I let my frustration and anger get the best of me. I'm trying to take a little time and spin it so it can be fun. I don't think the outcome of the next game (s) is going to surprise anyone, but I just don't see the point of "them" coming to our site and rubbing our noses in it. I would bet money that you, and most of the Jayhawk fans on here don't do that in basketball season. Have a great day!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

And I agree with the Turner Jekyl/Hyde struggle. I really want to give any coach a fair chance, which in my mind would mean 3-5 years. But, WOW - this is hard to take, even when I have realistic ideas about KU football.

You're also correct to say that it's not worth getting stressed out over. We can read the front page of our daily newspapers and find plenty to stress over if we wanted to.

OK - I still love KU football, but I do feel a little better the closer we get to basketball season.

KUbsee69 3 years, 1 month ago

Oops, nuleafhawk ... you forgot that other brother, Billie-Jean. It least I think it's a brother ... can't tell for sure.

On the toothpaste issue, you might also want to bring a toothbrush. The one in Oklahoma gets passed around alot, and it's pretty well worn out.

gammimc 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey, if they don't have any teeth...what makes you think they can eat a hot dog?? LOL

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

That puts a picture in my mind that I really don't want to think about!! Lol !

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

You guys remember a couple years ago when Bill Callahan got crucified for calling a bunch of OU fans (at Owen Field) a bunch of "f&#@ing hillbillies?"

Maybe nuleafjhawk is channeling his inner Bill Callahan! Or maybe they are one in the same...

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 1 month ago

Take it easy Nuleaf. Remember that there are KU fans down here in OK, so don't stereotype the whole state.

That said, feel free to stereotype Sooner fans. An arrogant lot of trash they are.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Haha - I knew you and the other great KU fans in OK would know that they were excluded.

I REALLY have to watch myself when I start talking about Missouri - there are even great KU fans there!

Robert Brock 3 years, 1 month ago

This game is a good opportunity for the Sooners to work on their running game. Other than Whaley's big run, OU did not do anything on the ground against the young Texas team. With OU running some clock, perhaps they can avoid an embarrassment of the Georgia Tech versus Cumberland variety.

Funhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

USA Today Coaches' Poll has the following rankings: Oklahoma #1, Oklahoma State #7, Kansas State #18, Texas #21, Texas A&M #23, Baylor #24.

Only two teams left on our schedule who are not ranked, MU and Iowa State.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

I will make a not so bold prediction for what ever bowl game Oklahoma plays in this season, When all is said and done , there will be more said than done and Oklahoma will get it handed to them again.

bradynsdad 3 years, 1 month ago

Wait a second! I didn't know we weren't the odds on favorite to win Saturday.(sarcasm for non ku fans reading). Seriously guys come on. Your bragging about beating ku in football. I don't know about any other ku fans but I am on the pitt state fan pages talking trash about how were going to stomp them in basketball. Congrats OU fans you got the best of us. Bring 50000 thousand fans to our stadium. That would do wonders for our ticket sales. After all we always fill your seats during basketball season.

gongs4ku 3 years, 1 month ago

For the first time I can remember, I wish a ku game wasn't televised. This is going to be dreadful.

Mangino_Maniac 3 years, 1 month ago

Bro... you should start spelling 'sinisism' correctly. You're an embarassment to the Big XII.

babyjay1 3 years, 1 month ago

Ok... I get it now... You're kidding here, right? Your grammar and spelling is so bad and everything you post is so full of "trailer talk" that the state of Oklahoma has to be horrified that you are trying to represent them!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes we are going to get beat but quite sounding like a bunch of cry babies talking about how dreadful it will be to watch on TV. You have an off switch. Yea we suck. Deal with it.

jmason 3 years, 1 month ago

Fire Shealy!! Hire Mike Stoops to run the defense!!!

gammimc 3 years, 1 month ago

This is already embarrassing. Asking Stoops if he plans to run the score up? C'mon!

It's almost like asking for mercy ahead of time. We're most likely going to get slaughtered, but let's at least get it quietly.

gammimc 3 years, 1 month ago

Good. You guys may as well enjoy the one thing you're good at. We'll see how good OU is when the first of the new year gets here.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't like the OU trolling here as much as the next guy... However, as KU fans, I don't really think using the "post season woes" argument is the way to go. Both programs have had their share of post season troubles...

Al Martin 3 years, 1 month ago

Even if we didn't have post-season woes in basketball, it's a dumb argument: "You don't win the games that we suck too badly to get to."

Trolls are trolls, and calling them out is fine. But our suckitude is ours, and sad as it may be, we have to own it. The real effort should be spent fixing the problem.

Phoghorn 3 years, 1 month ago

Fun Trivia:

Q: Who was the last KU Coach to beat Oklahoma in football.

A: Coach Terry Allen

I think I still have my Terry Towel packed away somewhere...

Funhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Was that the game when our running back took our quarterback's hand-off and ran straight up the middle for something like a 95-yard touchdown? Or was it this game when Mason was coaching: Source: Lawrence Journal World, Monday, October 26, 1992 Maybe someday Kansas football wins, even wins like Saturday's 27-10 throttling of Oklahoma, will be taken for granted. Senior tailback Maurice Douglas' advice is beat the Christmas rush and start expecting more of the Jayhawks right now. "When we win around here, the goal posts don't have to come down every time," Douglas said. The goal posts fell Saturday, perhaps deservedly. KU not only beat the Sooners for just the third time in 29 years, it did so convincingly. Not since 1981 had OU suffered such a lopsided defeat. It was a little like V-J Day — a time to celebrate, but also a time to think of comrades who fell bringing it about. "I don’t know if I should laugh or cry," Kansas coach Glen Mason said.

More Terry Allen trivia. Source: The Kansas City Star - Tuesday, December 1, 1998 The possibility of Terry Allen leaving Kansas to become the new football coach at Iowa heightened Monday night amid reports that Florida defensive coordinator Bob Stoops had accepted an offer from Oklahoma. Stoops had been considered the front-runner at Iowa, where he played and served as an assistant coach. On Monday night, however, numerous media outlets reported an agreement between Stoops and the Sooners. Such a deal appears to position Allen on Iowa's short list, along with Hawkeyes offensive coordinator Don Patterson and quarterbacks coach Chuck Long. Allen talked Saturday night with Iowa officials. A day later, he acknowledged interest in the position by saying he was flattered'' and felt anobligation to look into the position.''

Phoghorn 3 years, 1 month ago

October 4th, 1997, and yes it featured a 99 yard TD run by Derrick Vann. OU appeared to have tied the game on a last second field goal, but there was a penalty and they had to re-kick. The second attempt was no good.

href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=... Jayhawk Flashback: Oct. 4, 1997 vs. Oklahoma by Lawrence Journal-World

gchawk 3 years, 1 month ago

This makes me sad, and mad, that we've become relegated to the position of other teams feeling like they have to have pity and mercy upon us. Not sure what Gill can do at this point, it appears that we're just looking at damage control.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

boomer... train your own fans! your stadium rarely stays full into the fourth quarter (even with the game in the balance). the student section is the first to clear. then, the old-timers head out to beat the traffic as the parking is attrocious around the stadium. nevertheless, your arrogance surrounding fanhood 101 is severly misguided and annoying. you speak as if norman is one of the best home fields in the land - its not! the fans are often ridiculed for being so queit and cheering with a sense of entiltlement (much like you seem to bear). the last time cnnsi, espn or anyone has done a top 25 of home venues, Gaylord Memorial was not on it! the last time they have comprised the best place to watch ball - Allen FH was #1!!!!!!!! How ya like them apples?

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

i am not whining about anything (except maybe you inability to spell). i am simply stating that it is strange that you are being so arrogant when your "winning" program does not even fill the stadium for the whole game or is rarely loud or intimidating. i live in oklahoma and know this is true as it is often discussed every fall. i am not going to jump off a cliff over our football teams struggles. if i lived near lawrence, i would go to games and cheer like crazy. i am not arguing whether or not fans should be supportive or not. i think they should be. i am simply pointing out that you are speaking as if OU fans (such as yourself) have it all figured out. When, in fact, Stoops, himself, has had to call out the OU faithful for not being loud enough. You are trying to speak as though you are the authority figure on fanhood. If you are, I trust that you never leave a basketball game when you are losing to non-conference cupcakes...

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

do you know how to read? you respond as if you are not reading what i am actually saying?

chalkitup1811 3 years, 1 month ago

he is not listening to anything you are saying. he hasn't listened to anyone who has said anything to him. all he is doin is repeating the same thing he is saying over and over and over. you don't fill stadiums unless you win. example ou football in the 90's and ou basketball every year. people started showin up to game when blake griffin played and after that look what happened, the only game ou fans show up for in basketball is Kansas and Texas

jaymar74 3 years, 1 month ago

We know everything about full houses, national TV, top level atmosphere, national championships, conference championships, etc. Its called Allen Fieldhouse-game of the week- voted best atmosphere in the country. You see while you guys spend your winters watching football highlights and getting ready for the spring game, we play basketball. Try 7 conference championships in a row on for size and that's the same conference Y'all are in.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Y'all's spelling is " atroshus" as well.[try atrocious next time]. But thanks for the insight. It's our responsibility to stop you, so if you can score 200 on us, go for it.

I'll still take living in a tent in Kansas versus a palace in Oklahoma!! You know why? Because I won't have to say I'm from Oklahoma.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

sorry about the typo... i was born in KS and lived there many years. i always have been and always will be a jayhawk. however, i am proud to live in OK. it is a very great place to raise my family. truth be told, both places have their fair share of "hicks from the sticks". so i do think it is a bit misplaced to have people from KS ragging on people from OK. sure, the joker above dropping "y'all" and "buddy" left and right looks pathetic. however, there is plenty of that going on in KS as well.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Scroll up and respond to my comment or get off the board. I will contest that your fans are no different than ours. We want a winning program and a coach that's worth the $$$.

Phoghorn 3 years, 1 month ago

Okay, so this guy is ticking me off, but he does make some good points about changing the culture at KU. Yes, I know we have sat through some bad football years and have changed coaches more often then some people change their underwear, but it is time for the University to support football at KU - from the Chancellor on down. As soon as we lose that first conference game, we are back to "wait 'till basketball season". Don't get me wrong, I love KU Basketball as much as the next KU guy, but we need to build our football program!

As much as it pains me to say it, look what KSU did. They went from being the worst program in DIV I to having a very respectable program (yes, I know no NCs yet, but what a turnaround)! That being said, it did not happen overnight. It took a huge comittment from Coach Snyder, President Wefauld, and the student body. It was 3-4 years before they started winning under Coach Snyder, but it happened.

Is Coach Gill our version of Coach Snyder? I don't know. We will have a better idea once he rebuilds the defensive coaching staff and gets some defensive guys in here. That beings said, we can't expect miracles if we are going to ignore football completely. We have tried that for the last 120 years.

kloag44 3 years, 1 month ago

So, if I am understanding you correctly.... you are saying that if we sell out the stadium, and cheer on the Jayhawks for all 4 quarters our team will magically start winning? Even though we dont have the best players in the country, and our D coach is in over his head.

Maracas 3 years, 1 month ago

With any luck OU will lay at least 80 on us. 100 if they don't play any fans.

Steve Brown 3 years, 1 month ago

You got to suspect that Mike Stoops has some open doors into Texas HS recruits and whether a good fit with HCTGF or not, worth a meeting, right?

Doesn't the memorial stadium scoreboard only go to 99 with only two digits?

It's absolutely positive that we will defintely likely find something somewhat positive to build on after this game for the KState visitation if the kids start doing what we are suggesting they do.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 1 month ago

Definitely more likely than not this is absolutely probably a somewhat good post.

danmoore 3 years, 1 month ago

History will repeat itself this weekend and KU pulls off the upset. KU 83, OU 79.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 1 month ago

With the highest scoring first half in history at 50-50.

Lance Cheney 3 years, 1 month ago

Ahhhh, I see what you did there! Danny Manning, anyone?

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately we were only an 8-point underdog in that game, not 35. But it's nice to dream. If KU covers the spread, that would be a huge accomplishment.

Alex Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

But we don't play them in basketball until next year...

dhinkansas 3 years, 1 month ago

Why are Mizzou and OU fans on a KU sports site? Mizzou better worry about being 2-3 rather than what KU is doing.

Saturday's game will remind me of all the 56-0 type games I sat through as a kid with my dad against Nebraska. I think OU will score more than 56 though.

jay381 3 years, 1 month ago

Reality check please. While living in OKC I saw Mike Stoops coaching first hand. He is one good defensive coordinator and coach. However there is just absolutely no way I could ever see Preacher Gill and a hyper active Mike Stoops work together. I read when Gill was hired or shortly thereafter he did not allow any swearing. Well, to put it mildly that rule would last about a half a heartbeat after a missed tackle in practice. These two together would be fire and ice or oil and water. I think anyone that has seen him on the sidelines would agree.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 1 month ago

If we were to hire M. Stoops as a DC.

HCTG: Welcome aboard, I'm so glad you have joined our team. As you can see we are progressing nicely and we have simplified the defense to just single words.

DCMS: What the "$%^&" is the word, how about we try this "#$%^" or this "&*()"word.

HCTG: Sorry but we choose not to use those words on the football field, they might anger some of our opponents and you know they might possibly could if they wanted to surely put 100 points on us.

DCMS: What the "$^&" did you just say, I can't understand a &( %^& ^&^& word that is coming of your mouth. Do you talk to the press in that tone?

HCTG: The Press has always been nice to this team and has been so nice to each of the players, they don't use those words either. You will need to possibly show definitely a more positive atmosphere for these impressionable minds or I'll need to talk to Sheahon Zenger about your unprofessional conduct.

DCMS: Go ^&()^%%&((&^^^&(&^^^*(%^%$$. A little bit later in ADSZ office: ADSZ: Hey I hope you are happy with the addition of such an experienced defensive ally to your team.

HCTG: I don't quite understand him he uses words that we just don't think are appropriate on the field.

ADSZ: I'm trying to teach you a few words before you get your !@@ canned.

HCTG: It's my way or the highway.

And everyone rejoices on the KU campus.

flyingfinn 3 years, 1 month ago

A hilarious post....sadly a lot of it may be true

Nicholas Cederlind 3 years, 1 month ago

Way to write an article that doesn't just assume that we've already lost, but asks "by how much?" before the game is even played. I hope we surprise OU and blow 'em outta the water in the biggest upset in school history.

Micky Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

Oklahoma 93 Kansas Nothing. And Gill said the defense was "improved". If you have a coach that keeps telling the players they're "good", when they suck, the coach has got to be fired, at halftime on Saturday Night. Pathetic.

If Oklahoma does want to score 127 on Saturday, THEY WILL.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Why does Stoops drive with his finger on the gas? Doesn't that make it kind of hard to see where he's going?

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smartjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

All of this trash talk is going to provide so much motivation for KU that OU will be blown out!! NOT!

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, let's put in a kid with who suffered a concussion on his only carry last week and risk ending his career against OU. Way to choose an oxymoronic name for yourself, you must be very proud.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 1 month ago

Their time is done. It's over. I"m sick and tired of hearing about what a great (football) team the (Sooners) have. Screw 'em.

Jake Waddle 3 years, 1 month ago

So let's get this straight... it is Tuesday already so we need to hurry. The prediction is 127 points or 135 points? And are you "Lookin' forward to Saturday" Boomer Looser?? I think it's great that you are getting on this new phenomena called the internet and trying to learn to read and spell but if I read the word ya'll one more time I'm going to lose it lol. Thanks so much for the lessons on life, alcoholism, being a fan, and showing why its so important to have an education before you post your thoughts to the public. Rock Chalk and I hope you're getting ready for your two beatings in basketball this year. Yeah maybe you forgot about that... it's two games this year not just the one beatdown you're use to.

Kansas 24 - Oklahoma 49

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

You know iowa - if we could somehow get a transcript of these posts to Stoops - he would be so confused about whatever it is that " OklahomaSooners " is trying to say that he'd be too flustered to even worry about the game. We could actually win.

Jake Waddle 3 years, 1 month ago

I like that idea... He may be inclined to leave behind his dynamic duo at QB/WR and replace them with the two BEST fans the world has to offer... bc it is the fans that directly influence who wins or loses not necessarily the players on the field... Am I on the right track to getting what Mr. Sooner is trying to tell us?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Lol - I have absolutely NO idea what he is trying to say, but your definition sounds as good as any so far !!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Oklahoma - I hope you know that all my posts have been in fun. I hope yours are as well.

In all sincerity, I would be happy to meet you for a hot dog, I think it would be a hoot! I really enjoy meeting other enthusiastic fans for a little friendly jousting..

Unfortunately, my daughter is having some minor surgery on Thursday and we will be staying with her for a couple of days.

There's little doubt that your Sooners will put a pasting on us. Just pray that no players get seriously hurt (yours or ours) and have fun. Remember though, time heals all wounds and seasons change. Your Sooners will get pasted someday (maybe in a high profile bowl game) so be prepared to take what you dish out.

Peace, Oklahoma!

Ethan Berger 3 years, 1 month ago

Don't understand the big fuss with being on longhorn network. Game wasn't going to be on tv, and since I live in Texas, I can watch it. We aren't good, but it's not like UT played good last week either. KU UT could be a good game.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 1 month ago

Again, this is a Tier 3 football game, which means KU gets to keep all of the revenue it gets from the Jayhawk TV network. To my understanding it is going to broadcast for the first time throughout Kansas including Wichita and Kansas City. This is good money for KU.

fire05 3 years, 1 month ago

I believe I’m going to start an official "Fire Turner Gill Campaign." Let's see if we can raise enough money to place a billboard in the close proximity of the school. If everybody throws in a dollar it really shouldn't take that long. The facts are..... Turner Gill IS NOT the coach to lead this program... Sure he seems like he is a stand-up person (I never meet the guy) but a leader of a Division 1 program? NO! It's going to take time whoever we get in; sure I understand that... But this team shows no signs of improvement. It is a face kicking, week, after week, after week, after... yeah you get the point.... Now if the administration gets the point and pays him his money (not deserved) but a contract either way, and get this program back to having a little dignity!

Andrew Washington 3 years, 1 month ago

HEY, we know what its like to have the BEST PROGRAM in the nation! Kansas is basketball... our first coach was the inventor of the game and Allen Feildhouse is the LOUDEST venue in the country. We CAMP OUT FOR DAYS just to see a regular season basketball game- so stop lecturing us....we know what its like to be great. Now- i would like to also have a great football team as well, but hiring a middle coach from the MAC isnt going to work. Im going to start posting on OU message boards about how to start a great basketball program!

OKHawkFan 3 years, 1 month ago

OklahomaSooners thank you for your posts/advice about how our program can get better and how bad we are going to get beat. If I were a sooner fan I too would be very proud of my team and the fact that they have what it takes to win a national championship this year. Let's face it OU has more tradition in football just like KU has more tradition in basketball (hence you get the best recruits year end and year out). Seeing how I live in OKC I see it all the time how much passion a lot of people have for OU football (Just as there are a lot of KU fans that are passionate about B-Ball). But really coming in here to say 135 to Zip!! Give me a break. We know KU probably has the worst BCS defense in history this year for multiple reasons. But I still support this team and if I could make it up there I would cheer them on and stay all four quarters regardless of the score. Now I get the fact that you worship OU football. I'm sure that if Bob Stoops had a reality TV show you would DVR it just so you wouldn't miss him bathing, going to the bathroom, and eating with his family. Fact is it's really sad that you put so much time & effort/worship into your beloved Sooners. But the evidence is the last time I checked 2000 was the last Natl' championship for the Sooners. My advice I'd find something a little more reliable to worship than Sooner football. Like maybe Alabama Football since they have more natl' championships. God Bless errr Sooner Bless and hope they can hang 135 on us for your sake.

OKHawkFan 3 years, 1 month ago

No need to meet in Lawrence I live in OKC. I'll be happy to buy you a Sonic slushy once OU hangs 135 on us. It probably is possible if Stoops feels he wants revenge for KU getting rid of Mangino. Could happen who knows!!

Andrew Washington 3 years, 1 month ago

you need to read my previous post and when we meet, ill tell you sumpin' or two about basketball

Andrew Washington 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder what your reaction would be if KU were to beat ou. Impossible is nothing

Andrew Washington 3 years, 1 month ago

i think hes actually serious about that 135 points. its possible, but stoops "finger" will probably let up in the 80s or 90s if it gets that high.

Bion Ostrander 3 years, 1 month ago

Stoop Dog will definitely run up the score, he needs to at least score more points than OSU - - a serious Napoleonic complex (little man syndrome). Never have figured out where the moniker "Big Game Bob" came from, he seems to lose all the big games and bowl games. I found this article on line that notes in year 2000, he came by that title:

Stoops became known as Big Game Bob. A run now referred to as "Red October" included wins against No. 7 Texas, No. 2 Kansas State and No. 1 Nebraska in consecutive games. After that, there came a run of BCS bowl defeats over the years. Even as Stoops continued to pile up Big 12 titles, Big Game Bob became a term of derision.

Its possible Stoop Dog would have taken it easy on a Mangino team, since Mangino coached with him, but he will show no mercy for TG. If Stoops runs up the score and leaves his starters in, I hope Tobin lays a MFn hit on Landry to remove him from the game. I'm sorry, I don't have anything against Landry. But these coaches that leave starters in blow-outs are just askin' for it. And if I was a player for KU and was being disrespected, I would have every incentive in the world to take out one of those big name starters and teach Stoops a difficult lesson in humility. This will happen one of these days, whether it be a late hit or going to the head, and the blame will have to lie with the head coach!!

Andrew Washington 3 years, 1 month ago

No doubt stoops will run up the score, but if it gets over 100 (as Sooners repeatedly says above) then I dont expect stoops to keep gunning it. The game will most likely be brutal,but its not likely to hit 135+ points..

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 1 month ago

Do people wear paper bags over their heads to college games?

AirCapJay 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure you talk with a lazy southern draw... but to write it into postings on this forum? Are you a student at OU or are you 12 years old?

David Meredith 3 years, 1 month ago

I am a KU football fan, and a basketball fan too... it is more fun to win of course... but winning in basketball doesn't 'make it all better' when the football team is struggling..... so I for one, get tired of the same old joke of, well bball season is just around the corner so who cares about football.... just my opinion

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh how I wish I could be in Lawrence to give OS's home the Texas Tech treatment it so rightly deserves. You can call it classless all you want, but I'm just showing you the same level of class you've come here and shown. BTW, I'm sure you've heard by now that KU has a slightly above average basketball team and if Stoops was actually classless enough to go for 100, I'm sure Bill Self would have no problem going for 200 against OU's pathetic basketball team a couple of times this year. If you want to start preaching about fans embarrassing the Big 12, start in-house with your own fans and try to sell out just 1 basketball game this upcoming season. You are a classless embarrassment to your fan base and I genuinely hope that someone on here that's going to the game on Saturday finds your trailer and slashes the tires on it. From the bottom of my heart, take your prediction and shove it up your ass!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 3 years, 1 month ago

Nothing makes a troll happier than replying to them. Just ignore them and they'll be sad that their efforts are to naught...

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

i wonder which stoops hates more... KU or TEXASS.... no wait, i don't wonder. anyone with a brain knows it is texass (regardless of who KU fired as their previous coach). seeing how he only hung 55 on texass and obviously took his foot off the gas, why would he vindicively run it up on KU? i am not saying that OU will score less than 55. i am saying that whatever they score will be because they are just better, not because stoops has an ax to grind. stoops has historically left his starters in through 3 quarters in blowouts (no matter the opponent). i know this because i am surrounded by OU fans in my family. stoops's logic has been that he wants his starters to be accustomed to coming out and sustaining drives through the meat of the second half (i am not saying that is the right logic - just stating that is HIS logic). so, if you see jones, broyles, and stills lining up when leading big late in the third, trust that it has NOTHING to do with us signing on to play on the texass network. if that were the case, he would have been more brutal to the source of said network a week ago.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

kufankam - sorry, i don't mean to play grammar police, but according to OklahomaSooners it should be " took his FINGER off the gas".

Kirk 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, UT has a pretty good defense. Even better than KU's!

This Saturday, there will be nothing to slow OU's points except OU themselves.

kufankam 3 years, 1 month ago

i agree with you... that is why i clarified that they will likely score more on us as texass's defense is better. i just don't agree with the contention people are making that stoops is out to get us because we signed on to play on the shorthorned network. if stoops were that vindictive - he could have scored more last week. instead, his back-ups came in and ran vanilla in the 4th. what i am saying is that even if they score 77, it will not be because stoops is indirectly getting back at texass (and KU for playing on said network). stoops could call off the dogs way early and OU could score 60 on KU. that is what he is saying in the article when he talks about it is not a fun game for either side. stoops has often talked about how much he doesn't like having to try and manage blowouts as there is no easy way to do it. no matter what, it seems like you are humiliating you opponent. that humiliation will happen saturday, not because bob has it out for KU (because of mangino or tx), but because OU is loaded and KU is NOT.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 1 month ago

Buddy, the troll isn't even a good one, y'all Are we really supposed to believe that this guy is from Oklahoma? I'm pretty sure that he is a poser. He uses too many stereotypes to be legit.

StirrrThePot 3 years, 1 month ago

Did someone ask the OU troll if OU fans show up for basketball games? Any sellouts to that arena? http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110303_216_B1_CUTLIN376814

Nice photos showing empty Noble Arena, there. Better get your admin and marketing depts on that stat!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

In a basement somewhere in Oklahoma, a 12 year old zoned out on Nyquil while violating several animal rights laws and risking the ire of PETA has finally gotten his gerbils excited enough to generate sufficient wattage to boot up his computer. "Y'all gonna get beat by 135 this Saturday, hu, what ma?" Get your ass to bed young man and leave those gerbils alone". "Yes ma".....

Jayandseahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Watch out. It will be ugly, and white towels may have to be tosed onto the field.