Tuesday, October 11, 2011

‘Late Night’ great night for KU hoops recruits

From left, Niko Roberts, Justin Wesley, Tyshawn Taylor, Royce Woolridge and Josh Selby do a dance to New Edition during Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 15, 2010.

Late Night looms

When: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Friday; doors open at 5:30

Admission: Free

Television: Metro Sports of Kansas City

Kansas University’s season-opening “Late Night” basketball extravaganza, which this year is set for 6:30 p.m. Friday in Allen Fieldhouse, has always been about introducing the current Jayhawks to their legions of fans.

Perhaps just as important, however, is the fact, “you’ve got all the recruits coming in the fans want to see,” said former KU guard Xavier Henry of the Memphis Grizzlies, who attended several Late Nights as a prospect out of Oklahoma City.

“It’s one of the biggest nights of the year. It’s crazy, a packed house. The love they (fans) show us in Kansas basketball is amazing for everybody to see.”

Noted Nick Collison of the Oklahoma City Thunder, who attended one Late Night after committing to KU in the fall of 1998: “For recruiting, we’re able to show the kids the love we get from the fans here. It makes it a lot of fun to play. Late Night was a lot of fun for us (players). It’s that one big event to start of the year.

“Basketball starts.”

Two top prospects in the Class of 2012 will attend Late Night as part of official campus visits. They are: Perry Ellis, 6-8 forward from Wichita Heights who has orally committed to KU, and Kaleb Tarczewski, 7-foot from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., who is down to KU and Arizona. Tarczewski, who will visit Arizona on Oct. 21, is ranked No. 20 overall; Ellis No. 24 nationally by Rivals.com.

“Late Night is a chance for some of the top recruits in the country to see what Kansas basketball is all about,” said Shay Wildeboor, recruiting analyst for jayhawkslant.com. “The tradition, the history, the fans are all on display in more a relaxed setting. Coach (Bill) Self talks to the crowd, there’s a scrimmage, but no game preparation. The coaches don’t have to scout a different team. The main focus is on the kids they are bringing in.

“A number are also taking unofficial visits. It gives the staff a chance to get a leg up on some kids.”

Indeed, several players from the Class of 2013 will be in Lawrence this weekend on unofficial visits.

They are: No. 8-ranked Chris Walker, 6-9 forward, Holmes County High, Bonifay, Fla.; No. 24 Allerik Freeman, 6-4 guard, Olympic High, Charlotte, N.C.; No. 35 Brannen Greene, 6-7 forward, Mary Persons High, Forsyth, Ga.; No. 52 Isaiah Lewis, 6-2 guard, Christ the King High, Brooklyn, N.Y.; No. 71 Karviar Shepherd, 6-9, center, DeSoto (Texas) High; and Shepherd’s prep teammate Jordan Mickey, 6-7 forward, ranked No. 75.

“I did come to Late Night as a recruit. Once I saw that, it made me fall in love with the place,” said former KU forward Markieff Morris of the Phoenix Suns.

KU’s current players annually look forward to acting and dancing in skits as well as playing in a short scrimmage to conclude the proceedings. This year’s Late Night is slated to run 6:30-9:30 p.m. Friday. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free. Seating will be first-come, first-served. Children 12 and under will not be admitted without an adult. Fieldhouse doors will be closed when the arena reaches capacity. Fans are encouraged to bring nonperishable food items to be donated to charity.

All university parking lots will be by restricted by permit only until 4:30 p.m. Public parking prior to 4:30 p.m. is available in the parking garage just north of Allen Fieldhouse with a $1.25-per-hour rate.

Metro Sports of Kansas City (cable channel 37) will air Late Night as part of its Midnight Madness show. ESPNU’s Sean Farnham will be at the 27th-annual Late Night providing live cut-ins for ESPNU’s Midnight Madness programming, which will run from 8 p.m. until 12 a.m. Late Night also will be broadcast on KLWN radio.

Tryouts set

The Jayhawks will conduct walk-on tryouts at 7:15 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 25, in the fieldhouse. Students interested in trying out need to pick up forms in the men’s basketball office (2440 Wagnon Student Athlete Center). All mandatory information and forms need to be returned prior to 4 p.m., Friday, Oct. 21. Only full-time students at KU are eligible for tryouts. For more information, contact the basketball office at (785)-864-3056.

Comments

Priest Fontaine 8 years, 7 months ago

Kaleb - 7 foot freshman Withey - 7 foot senior I like that combo for next year. Let's do this Tarc-ski!

iluvdbskxjayhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

oooh, how exciting! I wished I could be there.

Alohahawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I thought I had read that Julius Randle, the #1 PF of 2013 and teammate of Zach Peters, would be at Late Night. Or was it that he attended the "Legends of the Phog" game? Also, Scout.com reported Isaiah Lewis, a guard from N.Y., will be attending.

Keep 'em coming Coach Self. The odds improve when more recruits attend Late Night.

And yes, Kaleb, Danny is the best "big man" coach around. You won't get any better, anywhere.

Alohahawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Oops, missed Lewis's name in the article.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 7 months ago

I think that Randle did attend the Legends game with Zach Peters. He was at Late Night last year, if I recall correctly.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I saw peters and randle at the legends game. Zach has a football game friday night in dallas. His dad's jet isn't that fast..lol

Matt Bowers 8 years, 7 months ago

Has the NCAA made any progress on current KU players that are waiting to participate? I know there hasn't been any word on it lately.

If anyone has a link Friday night, that would be cool. Hard to believe that basketball season is upon us!

Rock Chalk

tjg1 8 years, 7 months ago

Perry Ellis isn't a prospect anymore Gary

Jory Collins 8 years, 7 months ago

He is until he signs his LOI. Our staffs rules regarding Perry don't change until he signs.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Dear wolfblanketcallsaliasesJoesef Goebbels,

The military, spooks, police, private contractors, and political consultants give classes in how to disinform and smear on websites. Either go back to the class you took and ask to be retrained in the basic techniques, or, if you are not in jail, enlist and get some proper training. Its a growth industry. :-)

wolfblanket 8 years, 7 months ago

Look, "JB", I think my comment was pretty clear that the disinformation and smearing was coming from other people in your favor, so I'm not sure what my trying to learn those techniques has anything to do with anything. Maybe you derive some kind of satisfaction from those sorts of comments, and maybe I'm too stupid to get it, but either way it brings something to mind. It seems you are going to be looked up to by people on this board and singled-out by antagonizers. If the gap in prestige between KU and MU is as glaring as we all seem to hope and say, I would hope someone in your position could really teach this guy a lesson. Instead, all I've seen so far is what I've come to expect from you, which is an extended version of the sarcastic personal attacks which come from every other pre-teen with internet access on this board. Perhaps that's why you're so idolized. I don't know. Either way, I have to say, I looked at the referred to conversation out of curiosity, and was pretty disappointed to see what I thought was a really good chance to make an MU fan face real facts for once squandered in favor of irrelevant gibing. If we are in such a position of superiority, he shouldn't be the one sticking to the topic. Maybe taking things seriously isn't your style. I suppose one could argue nothing is really worth taking seriously. But if you are really going to humor this guy and show up on Thursday armed with the same evasive, infantile agenda, please don't bother for the sake of your time, his time, our time, and space on the board, because nothing will be solved. I hope, either way, you are an example to all your admirers on what constitutes productive argument.

wolfblanket 8 years, 7 months ago

Gee, JB, couldn't you have at least added something about how I'm addicted to meth, or like having sex with animals? I'm not even worth you engaging all of your mental faculties? I have to say, sir, that's an insult. Regardless, the point is made. The hopes of this board are resting on shoulders as weak as (and you should probably remember this JB, as you occasionally fall back to the safety of the basketball part of this website) those that were too good to be on the same court as VCU last basketball season. Give me another one-liner. I'm begging you. My class doesn't start for another 3 hours, JB.

JacquesMerde 8 years, 7 months ago

Woody Cragg 8 years, 7 months ago

wolfblanket 8 years, 7 months ago

wolfblanket 8 years, 7 months ago

Looks like JB would be more appropriately labeled JG, as Joseph Goebbels is at work removing any dissenting commentary on him. Look which comment they deemed worthy to remain. You won't silence me. "Yeah! My man JB'll show him! He's got the wits! You'll see!" Have some self-respect, you fawning little brothers. It's people like you who run and hide behind the nearest guy who can puff up his diction in a semi-convincing manner that leave us vulnerable to "trolls" from Oklahoma and Missouri.

jaymar74 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey Mizzou4Life, If my most hated rival had 13 final fours and I had ZERO final fours, I would leave the conference also. Plus 53 conference championships to 13. Wow, better tuck your Tiger tails and run southeast.

RockChalkGuy 8 years, 7 months ago

S-E-C (M-V-C), S-E-C (M-V-C), S-E-C (M-V-C), S-E-C (M-V-C), S-E-C (M-V-C). That K-State loss sure seems to have you flustered, lil guy. Gently cuddle with your stuffed tiger and place thumb back in the all-too-familiar location...in your mouth.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

That's weird...Markeiff immediately fell "in love with the place", but then decided on Memphis.

AverageCitizen 8 years, 7 months ago

You have you facts mixed up, ATL - The twins decommitted from Memphis and went an extra year to prep school. They then started looking at new schools, thus the visit to Late Night. I must say, I remember looking at pictures of their visit and they were straight faced. I wondered if they were having a good time. Now I know it was just shock and awe at our fan support and tradition.

lee3022 8 years, 7 months ago

"shock and awe at our fan support and tradition"

Well said, AC, well said.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

"The jaybate interview with Mizzou4torpor"

jaybate: You seem like a really crazy mixed up Fizzouri lurker. Is it true the it is an autoerotic experience for Fizzouri lurkers to post on this web site?

Mizzou4torpor:...............................................

jaybate: Guess that concludes the interview.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)