Monday, October 10, 2011

KU-Kansas State football game to kick off at 11 a.m.

Kansas State quarterback Carson Coffman throws over the Kansas defense in Jayhawk territory during the first quarter, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

The Kansas vs. Kansas State football game on Oct. 22 at Memorial Stadium will kick off at 11 a.m., the Big 12 announced Monday.

The contest will be televised on FSN.

It will be the third time this season that the Jayhawks have had a kickoff before noon in the central time zone. The Georgia Tech game started at 11:30 central, while the Texas Tech game had an 11 a.m. kickoff.

The Jayhawks (2-3) will play host to Oklahoma at 8:15 p.m. Saturday in a game televised on ESPN2.

Comments

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 5 months ago

Nothing like having the nation see us getting our a$$e$ handed to us week-in-and-week-out!!!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Oklahoma - that's an extremely accurate comparison.

OU vs KU - equal in every way in Stoops' first two years.

Stadiums - EQUAL Fan base - EQUAL Recruiting - EQUAL History - EQUAL

Stoops vs Gill: Practically indistinguishable

OU could have run Stoops off and brought in anyone else they wanted to. Much like Kansas in basketball.

It's funny that you mentioned sprinting up and down a basketball court as your final sentence.

Seems like last time you tried to do that with us, we won a National Championship.

Frankenhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

bad troll is bad. stoops took what had become a bit of a punch line of a program (in the respect that everyone knew Oklahoma should be good but due to sanctions and some terrible head coach hires they weren't even close) to a bowl game in his first season, and followed that up with a national championship IN HIS SECOND SEASON. you're right, stoops didn't build OU back up overnight, he did it before night even fell on his first day.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

You mean they way you Sooners rallied behind Howard Schnellenberger in '94 & '95? He was basically forced out of "Sooner Nation". I will argue that we are, in fact, giving Gill a chance. But the foreseeable future looks bleak and we aren't seeing any improvements. Our offensive stats are bloated this year because of couple of cupcakes at the beginning of the season and we continually get the ball back in our hands after the opposing team scores. Our defense....well, no need to say anything. Besides...not really much whining going on. More like outrage considering the salary he and his staff are taking in. I have nothing against you posting on this site, but your view is obscured.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

You do remember that KU's offense couldn't even score on most teams second and third defenses last year right. KU has already scored 20+ points more times this season than all of last season. Whether or not KU's numbers are helped by some softer opponents at the beginning of the year, KU's offense is putting up much better numbers against a more difficult overall schedule this year so far. KU's offense may have their worst performance of the year on Saturday, but they are also going to be going against the best defense they will see all season too. This is an offense that has gone from bad to average this season and great defenses usually shut down average offenses.

Steven Mathew 8 years, 5 months ago

Wow...I'm going to assume that what you just said is a backhanded compliment.

William James 8 years, 5 months ago

What are you doing? Talking smack on a fanbase who gives up 70 pts a game, who is no big rival. Does it make you feel bigger? Are you that insecure? Even if I'm a huge KU fan, and your a huge OU fan, and OU wins the game by more than 100, that dosent make you a better man than me or anybody else. What are you doing?

iluvdbskxjayhawks 8 years, 5 months ago

I kind of like u oklahomasooners. i actually don't think of u as a troll like other people here. Yeah, offense is decent. defense is the HUGE problem. I still have hope for Gill to turn the football program around. When Gill improves his team, jayhawk fans will change their mind.

Al Martin 8 years, 5 months ago

How old are you? Stoops won the national championship in his second year!

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 5 months ago

Stoops won the National Championship in his second year and you didn't run him off...mighty gracious of you. Pardon me if I am a little skeptical of your motives when you tell us you think we should embrace this coach and what he is doing.

Craig Lang 8 years, 5 months ago

Win or lose, I am still a fan, and I would prefer that these games be televised because I live across the country and can't attend them in person.

If you don't like seeing the Jayhawks on TV, there are plenty of other games for you to watch.

sawman3333 8 years, 5 months ago

Could be half of a stadium wearing purple!

adubbs3 8 years, 5 months ago

Will be more than half a stadium wearing purple, especially if K-State fans can get their tickets on group on!

Michael Maris 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't like seeing Kansas Football lose either. But, I do like being able to see the games on TV. I remember only listening to their games on radio and wishing that I could see their games no TV. So, like lalawguy stated above, if you truely don't want to see KU Football on TV. There are PLENTY of other options )for the people who DON'T want to see KU Football on TV) to watch.

Kendra Stevenson 8 years, 5 months ago

This should be fun...well at least for the Wildcats! Does anyone know why K-State is playing KU in Lawrence two years in a row? Last season the cats came to Lawrence...

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 5 months ago

Scheduling snafu due to changing from 2 divisions to no divisions.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

It's like when we play them at Bramlage in basketball. It's a home away from home.

gorilla10 8 years, 5 months ago

nah, they don't even touch us in that category! We own the overall series big time!

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 5 months ago

well at least the game is over with much sooner in the day. if we can't get fired up for this game....play over our heads a bit...then it won't happen this year.

we need to get a lot better on D quite quickly. i expect our coaches to earn their paychecks preparing for this one.

Mark Winter 8 years, 5 months ago

I think we are leading the country in cointoss flips won. And lately we have scored first each time. Now all we have to do is win the next 56 minutes of the game. One thing at a time. Maybe next year we can have some D-Linemen with size and over 280 pounds and a pass rush that they don't know where it's comng from. Put it on your Christmas list, I have.

Cole Hogan 8 years, 5 months ago

Dear all 'Hater' KU fans -

I cannot stand fairweather KU fans. Nor can i stand fairweather fans in general, i work at HyVee, and when im working during a KU game, and people come through the line wearing KU shirts. When i ask these KU shirt-bearing fans what the score of the game is, and their response is along the lines of: "KU football sucks, im only a fan of KU basketball.", My mind mor eor less explodes, and i want to put the eggs on the bottom of their bag, with all the cans on top of them.

My point is this, when all these KU 'Hater' fans come out of their holes and post comments about how much they hate KU football, or how much we suck, and how we need to get Turner Gill out of Lawrence, i relaize they know nothing about what they are talking about. Ku's offense is nearly as efficient as they were in 2007 this season.

Due to my work schedule, i am attending my very first KU football game of the season this week. Anyone know what game that is? Oh right, the OKlahoma game, we are very likely going to get demolished, but i'll still be there till that clock hits 00:00 in the 4th Quarter. I expect a loss, but i also am going to support my team! So screw all you fairweather KU fans, if you would all leave, we could have room for more true fans at games.

That is all.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not a fairweather fan, but it's really difficult to get behind this team/Gill. I've never seen in a worse defense at KU in my lifetime!

Cole Hogan 8 years, 5 months ago

Its quite obvious KU'scurrent head coach focuses on offense, we just need him to hire a MUCH better defensive coordinator so that we will have a defense too. you can still hve pride in th good parts of the team while ackowledging the bad parts

Cole Hogan 8 years, 5 months ago

Excuse me...i believe i distinctly said that Gill is NOT the problem! and if you want to talk about looking at stats, lets talk about stats, here is a comparison between KU's 2007 and this yea's offense/special teams play across a few statistical categories: 2011 pass yds/gm (Webb) – 203.5

2007 pass yds/gm (Reesing) – 268.2

2011 rush yds/gm – 236

2007 rush yds/game – 188.8

2011 rec yds/gm – 219.3

-Leading receiver – D.J. Beshears – 52.8 yds/gm – 14.1 yds/rec

2007 rec yds/gm – 288.7

-Leading Receiver – Marcus Henry – 78 yds/gm – 18.8 yds/rec

2011 pass statistics (Webb) – 55/81 (68%) for 814 yds – 10.05 yds/a – 9td/3int – 181.6

2007 pass statistics (Reesing) – 227/445 (61%) for 3,486 yds – 7.83 yds/a – 33 td/7int – 148.9 rating

2011 kicking statistics (Mueller) – 2/4 – 25 pts overall (projected for 75 pts overall for season)

2007 kicking statistics (Webb) – 18/26 – 120 pts overall

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

You are probably the most schizophrenic poster that's ever been on these boards.

In one breath you tell us what a great coach we have ( We always told K-State what a great coach Stan Parrish was too ).

In the next breath you tell us that OU is going to win by 127 points and what a bunch of losers we are.

Listen - take a deep breath. Take your meds. Have your momma re-strap your straight jacket.

Go do your happy dance after Saturday.

We'll do ours when you go to your bowl game and get spanked by Boise State or West Virginia.

Bee Bee 8 years, 5 months ago

Amen~! I dont spend money on movies that are garbage. I dont spend money in restaurants that have bad service or food that is awful. Why are sports any different? There is NO excuse for this program being as pitiful as it is. The FAT MAN is laughing out loud!

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Yup, why bother to support a clueless coach and players that quit?

I rode a Greyhound bus to Lubbock, Texas to watch KU Football, but I wouldn't attend with Turner at the helm if I had free suite tickets.

Fire Turner now!

actorman 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you, soswalt. I'm as true a KU fan as you'll find, having sat through every game as a student, most of which were truly dreadful, and continuing to passionately follow the team since then. But in my 35+ years of being a KU fan I've never seen a worse defense--in fact I've never seen a worse defense for ANY team. It's hard to be expected to remain cheerful when I see KU getting humiliated game after game. I hope it changes and the team gives me reason to see a brighter future with TG, but at this point I'm becoming increasingly doubtful about that prospect.

Cole Hogan 8 years, 5 months ago

if you are a true KU fan, then this post was not directed at you. lol

troutsee 8 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree and I have 45+ years of viewing. When the diehard fans lose hope, the team is not far behind in losing hope. When that happens, the coach has lost the team. This coach, in an astonishingly short time, is close to losing his team. If the routs continue, and it looks like they will, Gill may not get a third year. At the beginning of the year I thought without a doubt he should and would get a third year. If blowout losses continue, I think he is gone after this year, no matter how much it costs. No one is going to buy season tickets or give to the Williams fund to watch the crap that we have been subjected to over the last two years. And this is coming from someone who was more than willing to give Gill a chance. It looks like he can recruit but coach....??????

iluvdbskxjayhawks 8 years, 5 months ago

i'm with u jayhawkcole! if i wasn't on the west coast, I will be there for my hawks until the game is over. Too bad I'm stuck here between ucla and usc. Aargh!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

This means I'm going to have to start drinking at like 2 in the morning to ready myself for the game.

3up3down 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah, the gooners will post 70+ points on us just like the days of Switzer and company. Hum to look back and remember the beatings we took. Now, with a strainer for a defense, here we go again!!! Does V.S. have a clue?

CrystalJones 8 years, 5 months ago

Gooners. That's a good one. Sounds like Sooners, except it's Gooners.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Turner Gill is going to have to do something DRASTIC very, very soon. His ineffective and complacent style of "coaching" is going to get someone seriously injured or killed.

Those teams that have the cheerleaders do pushups after every score are in grave danger - by the time the game is over, they will have done nearly 500 pushups!

Take note cheerleaders - you've been warned. Don't take the field when you play the Jayhawks. Your team won't need you anyway.

Kirk 8 years, 5 months ago

"Let me give you a quick education. Turner Gill knows nothing about defense. He shouldn't need to. He has an INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE mind."

Jayandseahawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm truly torn; as a KU grad, I was born inn Oklahoma and my dad was a Sooner stalwart from the old Bud Wilkinson days...and I'd like to Sooners to go undefeated. I guess my dilemma is solved. RCJH go KU! Boomer Sooner, to the last.

Maracas 8 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully KSU will still be groggy and won't score too much.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 5 months ago

Thank God K-State plays slow methodical offense. We are positively out of touch if we do not do the same. This game can be close. I have given up the idea that we could win, but it can be close. Ball control, run first, run second, run third and if we are in their end of the field run fourth. Get under center so you don't lose five yards on a rush. We do this and can come out with a respectable 35 - 24 loss. I would call that am improvement. And then if it is working out okay throw in a few more home run pitches in the second half and really open it up in the fourth qtr and we have a chance.

2005grad 8 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget last year... K-State used basically the same slow offense with their star running back, until they played KU where the actually aired it out a few times. I see them doing the same this year... Give their quarterback and receivers some practice with long passes, and the score will get out of hand quickly once again...

dhinkansas 8 years, 5 months ago

Who's the clown talking about scoring 127 points? I guess we should go on the OU boards and talk trash during basketball season.

jackstack 8 years, 5 months ago

I think that's funny cuz you guys have lost all your good players including the morris twins, selby(who was never really that good in the first place), and all your other players, have fun making it to the tournament and bombing it again. Football is a real sport, KU is not tough at all

jackstack 8 years, 5 months ago