Monday, October 10, 2011

Josh Selby waits out NBA labor strife

Kansas guard Josh Selby pounds his chest after hitting a three-pointer against Texas A&M during the first half on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Second-round NBA Draft pick Josh Selby, who is unable to negotiate a contract with the Memphis Grizzlies during the lockout, is patiently playing the waiting game with league rookies and veterans alike.

“I don’t regret any thing,” former Kansas University combo guard Selby told the Memphis Commercial-Appeal. He chose to enter the draft shortly after the end of his freshman season at KU, electing to take his chances on the possibility of a lost season rather than returning for his sophomore year in college. “I’ve just been doing what I’ve always been doing. There’s nothing us rookies can do about the lockout so I just wait to hear what’s going on.”

Selby spent the summer training in Las Vegas and also playing in various NBA-caliber exhibition games with the likes of Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant, as well as future Memphis teammates Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo and Zach Randolph. He had a 42-point, seven-assist outing in one game last month at the “lockout” league in Las Vegas.

“He’s the steal of the draft. The young fella is going to help us,” Randolph told the Commercial-Appeal.

The 6-foot-3 Selby, who was chosen 49th overall, said he has learned a lot the past several months.

“It’s a blessing to learn from guys who are where you want to be,” Selby said. “I’ve been playing with all stars. And they recognize talent. Players are players. If you can play a little bit then they take you under their wing.”

Selby has been staying at his mom, Maeshon Witherspoon’s, house in Baltimore when he’s not traveling.

“I tell him to stay humble,” Witherspoon said. “We can watch as many Grizzlies tapes as we want. But until he gets on the floor with that staff and those players you won’t be able to tell what he can do. I tell him this isn’t a vacation.”

Selby’s agent, Andy Miller, secured disability and health insurance for Selby.

“Our mind-set was, how can we put him in the best position without exploiting him?” Miller told the Commercial-Appeal. “He’s like a summer-league All-Star player with the amount of exhibition games he’s played in. We’re maximizing the situation out of the circumstances.”

Of his financial situation, Selby said: “Money-wise, I wouldn’t say it’s been difficult. It would be wonderful if there wasn’t a lockout. But everybody has a loan they can take out. I’m just trying to keep a budget and make sure I don’t overspend. I don’t need to buy an expensive car or a home. I don’t need any of that.”

Once the lockout ends, he’ll have to make the team unless the team issues him a contract as Miami did several years ago with former second-round pick Mario Chalmers, who notched a guaranteed deal before training camp.

“If I want to I could chill all day and not do anything,” Selby said. “But that’s not what I’m doing. I’m working hard every day. I’m very anxious to show what I can do.”

Comments

Bonnjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Run to the NBA where you can NOT play basketball.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 4 months ago

My guess is it is still better than doing whatever you do for a living. Like selby somehow should have predicted this strike and his stock slip and also pass on the opportunity to potentially be a millionaire before he's legally allowed to have a beer? We are all prophets after the fact...but tell me how many of us would have done differently in his shoes?

jksport 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish him luck. College is not for everyone and the "One and Done" rule makes these guys come to school. They need to get rid of it for about a million reasons. Would be easier on the kids, the coaches, the NBA teams and the fans. Maybe it will be part of any new CBA they come up with. Let's hope!

Huskerhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I personally would like to see them use something like they use for the NFL. It doesn't matter if you go to college for one or two years you can't go to the league until your class reaches their junior year.

Robert Brock 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't recruit the one-and-doners unless they are great. Henry was worth it; he was family.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 4 months ago

Ludicrous comment. Selby was a top 3 recruit. He had a bad year by all accounts and didn't satisfy most expectations but he was worth bringing to KU for all the reasons we have discussed a t length on these boards so I will spare everyone the synopsis.

You recruit to get the best fit, best guys available for your team...he fit that bill.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Selby will kick ass in the NBA.

Healthy, he's better than John Wall.

Wall would have had to play the three last year at KU under the same circumstances.

Wall and Selby were both pop tart bakers during the one year of college hoops. Wall was so TO prone, Cal finally had to start playing through Patrick Patterson down the stretch to make any kind of a decent run in the madness.

Wall has proven to be a fine NBA player.

Josh is clearly smarter than Wall.

There were no rumors of Josh not being able to read, or needing to "help" with is SATs.

Combine Walls talent, with a better trey, more muscle, and more brain power, and you've got Selby.

Selby is going to be a fine NBA player, if he can keep his confidence up in the face of the considerable adversity he has had to face.

Go Josh!

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I watched him play in the legends game. He played really well. I think he should have stayed another year..but he probably would have been more of a distraction than an addition.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 4 months ago

John Wall is flat out faster than Selby with a basketball in his hands.

Selby has a better jumper, but a jump shot can be learned, speed cant.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish him well and hope he does a good job, but I still can't understand the great concern about him.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Every Jayhawk that does well in the NBA is worth their weight in recruiting gold, and if they are a one and done, double that value.

Not that I condone or encourage the "one and done" scenario but it is currently the coin of the realm, so you must work with it as best as you can.

Maybe with the NBA labor agreement, assuming sooner or later the owners and players come to their senses, this will be resolved.

southwindjay 8 years, 4 months ago

Nothing against the kid, but he sure has not helped himself much. He could be great I suppose but will we ever know.

With the loc-out pending he would have been so much better off then to declare for the draft and play another year of KU ball where he might have a chance to really show his unbriddled skills we or the country have never fully seen.

Oh well, some have to find out the hard way.

planojayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I live in the Dallas area, and I have Time Warner Cable for my internet service. Does anybody know if I sign up for the Jayhawks All Access subscription service, can I watch online all the games, including exhibition games and this year's Late Night?

If I can watch online, how good is the video quality, especially if I want to watch on a big screen like a front projector?

I would really appreciate someone to provide me with these answers before I sign up. Thanks!

Stephan123 8 years, 4 months ago

Most non-network, non-exhibition, KU games usually appear on ESPN3.com if your Internet provider has it available. It is free with your paid Internet service.

planojayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

For TWC, I believe that I can only watch online using ESPN3.com if I also subscribe to cable service. Currently I only have internet service with TWC.

Beside, I also like to watch exhibition and non-network games and also Late Night.

Thanks for the answers. Appreciate your helps.

Martin Shupert 8 years, 4 months ago

Good luck to the kid. I vaguely remember something about him and some kind of association with the Jayhawks, but it's too long ago or too inconsequential to recall. What the heck. Let's hope he does great. No reason to hold ill will here. He was a complete washout at KU, but so what? Others have done worse. His dream is to play pro ball. That's how it was from the beginning. We probably shouldn't have wasted our time on him, but again, so what? You have to take your chances on very young kids. Some work out. Some do not. Now, my biggest question is, aren't there other former KU players that we readers would appreciate reading about more than this guy?