Monday, October 10, 2011

Jayhawks ‘hurting’ after loss to OSU

Kansas safety Keeston Terry looks at the scoreboard from the bench during the fourth quarter of the Jayhawks' 70-28 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Boone Pickens Stadium.

One by one, Kansas University’s football players strolled off the field and up the ramp to the visitors’ locker room at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla., after Saturday’s 70-28 loss at Oklahoma State.

Not one said a word, and each had the same look in his eye and limp in his step.

That typically is the result after giving up 10 touchdowns and 600 yards, and few teams know the feeling better than these Jayhawks, even if they’re not proud to admit it.

“We’re definitely hurting,” KU sophomore quarterback Jordan Webb said. “I don’t think any of us have gotten used to being on this end of these types of lopsided losses. But I think we’re still trying to learn from it and get better.”

No question. Need proof? For the fifth time this season — and third time in four weeks — the Jayhawks showed up at the Anderson Family Football Complex the day after a game with their heads held high.

“That continued,” KU coach Turner Gill said Sunday night. “They’re ready to move on to the next ballgame.”

Small problem. The next ballgame — 8:15 p.m. Saturday vs. No. 3 Oklahoma — has a chance to look an awful lot like the game KU just played. Like OSU, Oklahoma features a high-powered offense capable of scoring in a number of ways. The Sooners differ from the Cowboys in that they pair a stingy defense — ranked 28th in the nation — with their explosive offense.

It’s clear by now this team is feeling the effects of the past few games. After starting out 2-0 and momentarily putting last year’s abysmal 3-9 mark behind them, the Jayhawks have reverted to their old ways. While things got bad at times last year, they’ve reached new lows this year, particularly on defense. Already, KU has seen opponents set single-game records for rushing yards against (Georgia Tech, 604) and passing yards against (OSU, 494), and seven games against Big 12 competition still remain.

“We’re not improving as much as I would like,” Gill said. “I can safely say that.”

Despite all the lows, Gill remains undeterred by the recent setbacks.

“It’s just like anything in life,” Gill said. “Everybody has some good days and some bad days, and that’s kind of the way I look at it. I learn, and I keep on going. I have confidence in the plan that we have to try to move this program forward, and we’re gonna keep on moving forward and make some adjustments and keep coming to work and keep believing and keep having faith and go from there. But I definitely enjoy what I’m doing. That hasn’t changed. Obviously, a few hours after the game, for maybe 12 to 24 hours, you’re obviously disappointed when you have a loss, and you’re elated and happy when you win one.”

Injury update

Gill on Sunday provided an update on the status of running back Brandon Bourbon and safety Keeston Terry. Both players were injured Saturday, and Gill said both are questionable for Saturday’s game against Oklahoma, Bourbon because of a head injury and Terry because of an undisclosed injury.

“I think (Bourbon’s) just gonna be monitored for the next few days and see if anything gets better,” Gill said. “But, right now, he’s definitely probably questionable for sure.”

Jayhawks heavy underdogs

Last week, the oddsmakers set the opening line for the KU-OSU game at Oklahoma State minus 29. That line quickly jumped into the 30s and settled around 32. Sunday, the Sooners opened as 31.5-point favorites and, again, the line soared beyond 35 points by the end of the night.

The KU-OU game will be broadcast by ESPN2.

Comments

Vincent Patterson 2 years, 6 months ago

Long live Mangino the Hut!!!!! We miss you man!!!

JayDocMD 2 years, 6 months ago

(posted on another link but reposted here)

So Mike Stoops was just fired as Arizona HC. This has spawned my latest pipe dream, and I think you know where I'm going with this... line him up for DC. Sure, there are plenty of reasons why he won't do it - but I don't want to hear it. Let's get it done.

Side note: It looks like disgruntled AZ fans have already infiltrated Wikipedia. Here's the latest update (sure to be soon removed) - check out the next to last sentence:

"2011 season The Wildcats started the 2011 season losing 5 of their six games, and their first four games in the newly-expanded Pac-12 Conference. After a loss on the road to previously-winless Oregon State, Stoops was relieved of his duties on Oct 10, 2011. Tim Kish was named as interim head coach. Stoops has elected to remain in the employ of the University as head of custodial services and toilet cleaning, as well as glory hole closing. He will receive a $45 million dollar buyout."

lv_jhwk 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike Stoops now available as defensive coordinator...IMMEDIATELY!!

basty 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe I'm alone on this, but at this point I think seeing a team score 100 would be a pretty cool feat to watch. It's unlikely that we will be forever terrible so we might as well have something really historically bad to point back to and laugh at. Future basty will say, "haha remember that time OU dropped a Ben Franklin on us? Classic." If it's gotta be bad it might as well be epic.

jcw3691 2 years, 6 months ago

Mark Mangino to be hired as Bill Snyder's coach-in-waiting

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Here's kind of a sick thought.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that OU could put up 500 yards rushing, 500 yards passing and 100 points.

They may not - but they could.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

At this point, I just wish Gill (Ha - a few weeks ago, I was calling him Coach Gill) would show a little emotion. Anything.

Tears. Fear. Tears for Fears. Anger. Anything.

And quit using the samed canned speech after every butt-whoopin. Don't tell us how much improvement we've made. Don't tell us how things are getting better. Tell the truth.

Say "We suck and I don't know what to do about it".

Say "Pray for us, because only God can help this defense". (I'm not saying that to be offensive - I mean it.

Say "Does anyone know of a good real estate agent and moving company?"

Say "I'll give up half of my own salary for a Defensive Coordinator that can come up with a plan to hold OU under 80 pts."

hihawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Gill was not that good at NU and a lot of fans could see it and that is why they didn't object when gill was let go. Osborne interviewed gill, but, it was all show. He had no intensions on hiring hlm. Osborne just had to make it look good about gill and many fans could see through it and said so. That is why Osborne pushed gill toward Perkins and sold him a bill of goods.

Doug Fogleman 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought Mangino was laughing last year. He is on the floor crying with laughter now.

Please bounce back Hawks. At least beat the Cats.

ja3hawk 2 years, 6 months ago

We lack an intensity that comes from coaching. This is something that programs like KU must have in order to win games. HCTG does not have what it takes to make our guys play with intensity. Instead, he gives out chocolates and extends the curfew to talk to their girlfriends... I'm tired of being the laughing stock in college football. It's bad for the university in general.

dtownhawkfan 2 years, 6 months ago

I was at the game in Stillwater this past weekend....sorry maybe it was a scrimmage. It got so ugly so quick that the kind OSU fan kept apologizing to me as OSU kept scoring, and scoring, and scoring, and scoring, and scoring, put in the backups and scored some more. (On a side note - kind folks down there) Anyway, there is no way Bourbon plays this weekend or for awhile. He tried going to the OSU sideline and a couple of their players had to point him back to our bench. Initially I didn't think the hit was that bad, but he didn't have a clue where he was at. I hope he will be ok soon, but seeing him right after it happened I don't think he will play for awhile.

hihawk 2 years, 6 months ago

It is too bad that KU let Perkins have full control of the hiring as this is what has gotten us in to trouble--gill. Many people in Nebraska saw this coming and could not believe their ears when KU, Perkins, went after gill. The fans, NU, just laughted out loud, and said, we thought KU was smarter than that. That is one reason we were glad he left, or was asked to leave by Callahan. Callahan didn't like gill and he took some responsibility away from gill, which started the turmoil. KU now has a real problem on their hands and it's going to be costly to correct it. Then to turn around and hire a coach that has credentials of achievement as being a coach will be more costly. I would say it's going to take 20 to 30 million to get this corrected. They had a good coach but, let it get away.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 6 months ago

We win the toss, we receive. We run the ball four times. Forget the punt. It is a wast of time and field position won't slow OU down. The 40 seconds is more meaningful than giving them the ball on the 30. Four running plays to get 10 yards. 12:00 1rst qtr. OU gets the ball and scores. 11:00. KU receives and runs four more plays, 8:00. OU gets ball and scores, 7:00. KU receives and runs four plays, 4:00. OU gets ball and scores, 3:00. KU receives, runs four plays and runs out the clock for the first qtr. At this point KU is only down 21-0. So, under this scenario, how in the heck does OSU get 35??? Total incompetence, that's how. With this strategy we can keep OU to less than 100. And actually we would probably get a few first downs along the way and could keep them to 50. Rotate the whole team into the game. Everyone not wearing a redshirt plays. Slug it out.

On defense, we get some walk-ons to shore up our weaknesses...in the coaching ranks. Walk-on D coordinator anyone?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's see....to break 100, Oklahoma would have to score 15 touchdowns with 15 PAT's

Four 15 minute quarters divided by 30 possessions [15 apiece] equals 2 minutes per possession.

If the offense can average 25 seconds off the play clock, run on the first three downs and use up another 15 seconds each, that's 145 seconds or 1 3/4 minute per possession.

If the defense can hold Oklahoma to three first downs per drive before they score......

Yes!! We can hold Oklahoma to under 100 points!!!!

troutsee 2 years, 6 months ago

THE END OF GILL AS KU COACH.

STEP 1: YOU LOSE THE HOTSY-TOTSY, SPOILED BB CROWD

STEP 2: YOU LOSE THE "I'D RATHER BE PLAYING GOLF" CROWD

STEP 3: YOU LOSE LOYAL BUT EASILY DISHEARTENED FB FANS

STEP 4: YOU LOSE DIE-HARD KU FB FANS

STEP 5: YOU LOSE YOUR PERSONAL ARDENT SUPPORTERS

STEP 6: YOU LOSE YOUR TEAM.

STEP 7: YOU ARE FIRED!

GILL IS AT STEP 5 IN MY OPINION SINCE I AM ONE OF THOSE IN STEP 4.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

I think I just figured out how to get Notre Dame to join the Big-12. Tell them they will get to play Kansas twice a year in football, and will never have to play the KU basketball team.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey I guys im calling it right now.

UPSET ALERT!...

After the game, we will all be upset.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

If fans dictated coaching changes we would have fired Bill Self years ago.

If in his third season we are not seeing real improvement I'll jump ship but for now I'm in Coach Gill's corner.

newjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

They both had concussions and neither could remmember what happened. Terry got hit so hard that he could barely line up for the PAT . Bourbon didn't know which sideline to go to. OSU laid the wood on us pretty badly.

BigBlue4KU 2 years, 6 months ago

And this is better than Mangino . . . . . who actually believes that now? I guess when Kansas figures out that football isn't 'paddy cakes' (Valecente/Allen/now Gill), maybe we can hire a FOOTBALL coach. I felt so bad for those poor kids Mangino yelled at. But then again, he had football teams that didn't embarass us to death. I'll bet Stoops is going around asking each one of his team members how they 'feel' and if he can do anything to make life better. Weren't we all surprised when Notre Dame kept its coach after he yelled at his players (using naughty words, too) on national TV. We are so proud to be a non denominational University that doesn't allow naughty language from our football coach. I think probably Phog, Hart, Owens, Brown, Williams and even Self don't even know a naughty word. But, then again, they coach basketball and that isn't a 'tough' sport. I know Urban Meyer used to be such a 'swell' guy. I hear that Paterno is a real sweatheart too. Oh well, maybe Goldie Locks will be available for us soon. I can't remember three consecutive games that were more embarassing . . . oh, I forgot for a moment the Valecente years (when entire years went that way), and yeah, Allen did have several embarassments EVERY year (and as a matter of fact, they probably lasted more than three games at a time). But woe be to the potty mouthed football coach in Kansas. We sure wouldn't want those boys to hear naughty words. They have such virgin ears. WE WOULD RATHER LOSE EVERY GAME THAN HAVE A COACH WHO SWEARS AT PLAYERS!

Lance Cheney 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm as big of a KU (football, not just b-ball fairweather) fan as anybody, but I got 50 bucks on OU covering the spread. I might as well get some enjoyment out of this game. Don't let me down! (I'm not looking forward to the malicious replies I may receive from this)

rxjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

If Turner isn't the coach to build our program, who is? Does anyone have another coach in mind that would actually be willing to come here?

gchawk 2 years, 6 months ago

As I see it, a huge problem for us is confidence. As Jordan Webb stated, none of these guys are use to these kinds of lopsided losses. All of our players were accustomed to success in high school, so this is definitely unchartered territory for them. Nobody can convince me that the other schools have players on their team which are THAT much better than our athletes, they may be better players, but in D1 ball they just can't be that much better. So, that tells me that the problem lies within our coaching. I'm certainly not insinuating that we have a chance with OU, but our basketball team has, unfortunately, been on the receiving end of some huge upsets by teams that didn't have, again in my minds eye, as good of athletes as us, but the other teams coaches had those players believing they could win, and guess what, they did. Coach, time to become a master psychologist and strategist.

LSHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Gill needs to go and we go after Brent Venables. If Boise State and Oklahoma State can build good football programs Kansas should be able to also.

bradynsdad 2 years, 6 months ago

7-0 outstanding, I have a feeling this week is gonna be different. 7-7 no worries. Let's take it to them again. 7-14 were ok. Still in, just relax and maintain. 7-21 this is your time defense give the offense a chance to catch up. 7-28 ok let's try to stop the bleeding and make it to half time here. 7-35 hmmm. 7-42 let's see what else is on. 7-holy crap is this a basketball score 7-maybe we get tressel as the HC. I will take a few free tattoos over free weekly spankings. Come on turner I want to believe.

55jayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Gil had a lot of holes to fix and offense obviously was the most important and that shows. Defense is a hard "Fix" and will take a couple of years to make respectful. I think the young players who are on defense now are getting better with each week but the competition is getting better also. You take the young kids we have now and get 4-5 lineman that are big and fast whether from the JUCO ranks or not this coming year, & we will not be all that bad next year. Strength and conditioning bother me somwhat but when you are getting beat on every play there is a physical and mental thrashing that finally shows it ugly face like the Tech game. To ask for Gil's job now will not be good because any other good coach would not come to KU if he thought he only had a year or two to turn the program around. I will give him season 2 but next year will have to show more improvement.

lawyermog 2 years, 6 months ago

Our basketball team won't give up this many points to OSU...It's embarassment after embarassment after emabaassment. Mentions this weekend on ESPN: Herbstreit "Are they still playing Football in Kansas since Mangino left...what a train wreck"; Holtz: Biggest disappointments in the country, #2 - Kansas. We are a punchline once again. And please don't forget, the kids that Gill got from Mangino were part of the two highest rated recruiting classes ever at KU. I'm just so angry.

DocBean 2 years, 6 months ago

Show of hands: Who thinks Turner Gill is a good coach? Who thinks he can succeed at this level? Who thinks we can get another win this season? Who thinks Turner Gill can get Kansas to a National Championship?

...put your hand down liar.

DocBean 2 years, 6 months ago

Will Vegas even offer bets on the OU/KU game? I mean how could anyone ever pick KU with any amount of points offered?

If anyone is taking bets on this game, please point me to them.

KCHawk81 2 years, 6 months ago

I've defended this staff for almost two years now. Too much criticism, I felt, was leveled before Turner Gill ever set foot in Lawrence, too much of it was racially driven, too much of it was reactionary and impatient, too much of it was motivated by misguided allegiance to our former coach, and too much of it came from "fans" who know an awful lot about basketball and next to nothing about football. More than anything, I think that it's as important for the students, alumni, and fans to buy into a program as it is for the players to do the same. Like it or not, our opinions, collectively, carry some weight, and I wanted mine to be a positive one, often against my better judgment or that nagging voice of reality begging to be heard.

But I don't think I can do it any longer. Coaching transitions are tough, and I've preached patience. But turning THIS defense around would be a more impressive transition than turning last year's team into a winner. There is no dearth of talent that can excuse our performance this year. It's unacceptable. It's time to admit I was wrong. I was wrong.

All that being said, I still think Turner Gill gets at least one more year, maybe more (barring a rather massive private fundraising effort...). And he deserves it as much as any football coach deserves the opportunity to implement his system and (try to) get his players. Our defensive coordinator has to be fired, though. Even if he is 100% blameless for what has happened this year (and he's not), he cannot keep his job after the last five games. On the offensive side, we've seen some real player development. But we've continued to see poor play-calling and poorer game management. The coaching staff needs to go through some major changes, none of which could possibly set us back any further than we already are. It won't come at the top this year, but it had better come everywhere else.

I'm not a very happy fan today. I'm angry and I want my team to be angry. Not "hurt," not "searching for answers." Effing angry. I go every Saturday, and I wouldn't do that if I didn't expect us to win every game. I'll be there this week, counting on a bunch of college kids to prove me right.

danmoore 2 years, 6 months ago

Gill can recruit and he has the respect and loyalty of his players. But he is racking up a lengthy list of lopsided defeats which begs the question, can he coach. The lack of talent, through no fault of his own can excuse a team for losing but I have a hard time reconciling 70 points. If there is a silver lining, he has assembled a very promising offense.

shelleysue 2 years, 6 months ago

Also - If ticket prices next year don't go down significantly to be in line with the state of the program, that will truly be ridiculous.

DocBean 2 years, 6 months ago

It's time for Turner Gill to go. I don't care if he recruits the top class in the country every year, if he can't get anything out of them, he's not going to be a successful coach.

I've never seen a defense that's this bad. EVER.

shelleysue 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing OU's 2nd string will be in the game midway through the 1st quarter. Normally I am 100% supportive of everything KU. But this coaching staff has given me pretty much nothing to be supportive of. Not the DC, HC. Heck not even the trainer. The OC - that's the only coach who seems to be doing his job.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 6 months ago

The follow-up article will be "Jayhawk Fans 'Hurting' After Loss to OSU" I have been on these boards as a consistent supporter of HCTG and still believe there are good reasons to give him more time to turn this around. HOWEVER, I have now been moved to the opinion that while I am a patient person, it would be awfully hard to find fault with the AD if he chose to go in a different direction. This team's defense is just a complete train wreck! As somebody earlier pointed out, it's been bad all year, it's just been more obvious now that the competition is better. Bob Valesente only got a couple years, and this defense is every bit as bad as his defenses, and this defense sure seems to have more talent. I just don't understand how the defense can be this bad! I'm still behind this team 100%, but something better change or the next seven weeks are going to be pretty painful...

jrbill67 2 years, 6 months ago

Now that the Big 12's future is essentially assured for 6 years, it's time to cut your losses and hire an experienced coach that can hire the right people, impress a few recruits, and turn this program around. People like June Jones SMU & Tommy Tuberville Texas Tech are good examples. Gill's a great person, but a lousy head coach.

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 6 months ago

The biggest problem with all of this is recruiting. Towards the end of Mangino's tenure, according to Rivals, we had a recruiting class generally in the top 50 and generally in the top half of the Big 12. This year?.....we don't have a single four-star recruit. I know, I know, the recruiting classifications are pretty darned unreliable. Still, what great high school athlete is going to WANT to come to KU?

smartjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

OU's D-Line was stellar against UT. If they play like that again, it will be a very long day.

smartjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Hurting? I wonder if the pain is enough to give Bourbon more than one carry vs. OU?

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

OU needs to work on their running game. My guess is they keep it on the ground more than usual - they still pile up points but control the clock and their defense strangles us.

OU 59, KU 3

phi4life940 2 years, 6 months ago

Cut the BS, Gill. I feel like I'm seven years old again and my mom is telling me Santa Clause is real. It doesn't matter how many times you tell us, "We're getting better," it doesn't make it true.

I'm definitely probably not going to anymore games because I'm definitely probably sick of wanting to put a paper bag over my head. I guess some of the people on here though would call me a 'bad fan' because I refuse to walk into the guillotine...or should I say, Gillotine.

OU v. KU - 104 - 21 - Don't act like this is some kind of extravagant statement to get attention...it's a realistic possibility.

tical523 2 years, 6 months ago

I always avoid watching or listening to live stuff from Gill due to frustration or embarrassment, but now even reading his comments are too much to take. . . . . . . . . I really, truly wonder what the assistant coaches think about the head man.

TexasJayhawk78 2 years, 6 months ago

This "coach", what coach? I think Nebraska loves him...maybe they will take him... oh wait, they love him to coach ---somewhere else.....

pdt2139 2 years, 6 months ago

Really you are not improving as much as you expected? Just last week you said you were making progress on D. What a joke. Even in the bad 80’s we did not let teams set NCAA records on us. That is how bad we are. You cannot coach a division I football team by being a nice guy and not swearing in the locker-room. So the fat man was a little ruff on players but guess what you might just need that to win. I am going to say it, I miss him and his rough coaching style. This is BS!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 6 months ago

Since it's now the official position of this paper to get rid of the head football coach (Keegan column on Saturday), and since this blog is now making fun of the way the man speaks (God knows how much we could make fun of you in your daily speech), it's time for some reality.

it is what is.

that's it. when you can see it coming...and it occurs...then you know there's nothing you can do about it. this game and the results, was seen 10 miles away. Oklahoma St. is GOOD folks....they are darn good. they have a 28 year old QB...with a 1st round selection at WR.

Our D is young and inexperienced and short handed throughout. if you all had the fantasy, that we could compete week in and week out in this league defensively, before the start of the season, then you are true Alice in Wonderland nutjobs.

Gill inherited no LBs....none. that were recruited to play the position. his best DT get, will never play football again. as Keegan said this week, if Gill had kept Bill Miller on staff, then we probably would have had Grissom. He's played in two games this year as a redshirt Fr. he still could have come...he would be playing a lot more...but he'll get his shot someday.

we're on our 3rd D coordinator in three years. my biggest fault with Shealy, was switching defenses before the fall. totally threw out what was in already under Torbush. Gill obviously thought it was the best move when all was said and done...but it will take time to implement. we haven't had near enough.

this young, inexperienced D is overwhelmed. it's just too much to ask. and only recruiting some stud athletes, even if it's offense and convert 'em to D is just fine. we did pretty well with Nick Reid and Banks Floodman in the day. Charles Gordon was a great corner, even though he played WR and returned kicks his freshman year. This is the kind of innovation and adjustments are necessary...but we need the athletes to fill them. and Gill hasn't had enough time yet on that front.

This coach should not, and will not be fired at the end of this season. He MUST be allowed to get his recruits in and see what he can do. i've said it on this blog, and i've said it to my family and friends before the start of the season...this team will be better this year...but the record may not improve or get worse.

am I liking getting beat in record fashion on the road vs. FBS competition? of course not. But as a KU grad and fan, it's my school and team...and this coach deserves support, and a TRUE shot to prove himself.

KU 2 years, 6 months ago

Turner Gill, Master Of The English Language: "But right now, he's definitely probably questionable for sure."

LSHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Gill has got to go, he is just not the coach who KU needs to rebuild its program. As we have seen with all the conference realignment stuff KU can no longer just be a basketball school. We MUST improve our football program and it can be done, but not with Gill.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 6 months ago

I'll take the Sooners to cover...easily.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 6 months ago

Bring on the next ass-whoopin'!!!!!

jakzhumans 2 years, 6 months ago

Really? You can safely say that? You mean you're not happy with a net decrease in the team's overall quality in your two years as coach? That's not enough "improvement" for you? Gee, thanks Coach Obvious, good to know there's something we can all agree on.

I'd like to know who, exactly, started the rumor that Gill was polished and presented himself well and all that other malarkey we heard about during the last coach search. This guy is the most egregious purveyor of useless coachspeak I've ever heard. That's fine if there's ANY other evidence for us to observe to make us feel good about the state of the team, but when the team in question is the laughingstock of the league, the worst defensive football team currently playing and perhaps the worst of all time, then it would be nice if the coach should ANY kind of passion and sense of urgency. "We're not improving as much as I would like" doesn't cut it when the team isn't improving AT ALL.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

We are obviously going to receive another humiliating spanking this Saturday, and I suspect the stands will be full of red shirts. I've lived through allot of NU/OU beat-downs, but at least in the "old days" there was someone in the conference we could beat. Not true now. It's gotten so bad that my kids no longer tell people their Dad is a Jayhawk fan. Even the kids know KU is a joke on the football field, and we live in Georgia!

Nonetheless, and despite all the "fire Gill" venting, our head coach isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I also don't think Shealy's going anywhere until after the season. So it is what it is unfortunately. I will continue to watch and follow the team, desperately looking for improvement, because that's just the kind of sadistic, twisted fan I am. I will especially watch the DE's to see if they can get better coming off the edge. I'll be watching the LB's to see if they can get smarter at reading plays and playing their assignments. I'll be watching the DB's to see if any of them can play man coverage on a consistent basis. I'm not going to watch the DT's, because that position is just a train wreck right now. I'll be watching everyone to see if they can get better at tackling. And lastly, I'll be watching the coaches to see if they can clean up the ridiculous mistakes (seriously, having to call a timeout on the 2nd play of the game is just beyond inexcusable). Individual, incremental improvement is all I'm hoping for now.

tis4tim 2 years, 6 months ago

We call those bad days "Saturdays".

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

"After starting out 2-0 and momentarily putting last year’s abysmal 3-9 mark behind them, the Jayhawks have reverted to their old ways."

I don't think they have " reverted to their old ways " at all. The defense has stunk (stank? stinked?) since day one. We're just playing better teams now and the defense is exposed even more.

gardenjay 2 years, 6 months ago

Oddsmakers are so useless. If a team decides not to play the first string, then that amounts to fixing a game. As usual, gambling is unwise, but maybe it's entertainment for those who choose not to know much about what it is.

Is Brandon Bourbon really definitely probably questionable for sure not going to play this coming Saturday? Seriously sad that he has a head injury - all the best Brandon.

I believe the team will improve - and all the best boys, RCJHGKU

johnnyhrdwd 2 years, 6 months ago

Dennis Franchione, Terry Bowden, it's gonna be a has been or an up and comer that wants to prove himself. I don't think we can hire Leach or Leavitt although either one would make us a winner, at least competitive right off the bat. We should offer Venables 3 million, pretty sure he makes a million as a coordinator.

Cmill1221 2 years, 6 months ago

On college football live tonight they were talking about power comfrences. They said that the big12 is top to bottom one of the best leagues. Except fir Kansas which is bad enough for two teams. WOW!!

passdaball 2 years, 6 months ago

hawks hit the hardwood friday! so i'm guessing football is over in lawrence.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

If you were to make our basketball team play the same exact same schedule as our football team only mcneese state's basketball team would reach a higher number of points than their football team did.

TwistedFish31 2 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately, because of the BCS, OU will have to put up as many points as OSU did against us in order to show the poll voters they are worthy of their ranking.

OU 77-3

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

"But, right now, he’s definitely probably questionable for sure."

Well as long as that's clear.

Andy Hess 2 years, 6 months ago

I bet Stoops hangs 100 on us, or close to it. I don't see him calling off the dogs like Gundy did.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

OU is going to treat this game like most NFL teams treat the 4th preseason game.